PDA

View Full Version : hellas verona

1690owl
24-09-2010, 18:28
just listening to a podcast there on beyond the pitch with an interview with preben elkjaer, the danish forward, and discussing his time at verona and how they won their only title in 1984-85 and how they have fallen away:(:( and only to see their city rivals sit now top of serie a, amazing

oranje-viola
24-09-2010, 18:52
Lived near Verona for a bit a few years back, obviously having read the book A Season with Verona as well got a bit of a soft spot for them and look out for their results down there in the 3rd Division.

They were top of the league for 99% of last season and suffered a Dundee-esque implosion towards the end and lost out in the playoffs for promotion for Serie B.

Similar to the English club I imagine you support going by your username (Owls...:cool:) it's a travesty that they have ended up in they position they have. Maybe not as big as Wednesday in relative terms, but they are a big club in their local region, and the games they had against Napoli were supposedly legendary in the venom which came from the terraces whenever they met

mesteph
24-09-2010, 19:02
That's a superb book, a real insight into Italian football culture. I think they have a bit of a right wing element and they see themselves as being above the Southerners of Napoli. When they went to Naples the Napoli fans had some home made bombs set up in the away end! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsV4e-vzzRo&feature=related

Gauche.
24-09-2010, 20:03
I remeber him as a player,a very good centre forward for that great Danish team of the 80's.Did that giant German full back play for Verona when they won the league ? I think his name was Hans Briegl.
I think they drew Juventus in the European cup following the league triumph,I can't remeber who won.

toffeebear
24-09-2010, 20:53
elkjaer, what a player! always reminds me of mexico '86.

and a good book too.

1690owl
26-09-2010, 11:29
Lived near Verona for a bit a few years back, obviously having read the book A Season with Verona as well got a bit of a soft spot for them and look out for their results down there in the 3rd Division.

They were top of the league for 99% of last season and suffered a Dundee-esque implosion towards the end and lost out in the playoffs for promotion for Serie B.

Similar to the English club I imagine you support going by your username (Owls...:cool:) it's a travesty that they have ended up in they position they have. Maybe not as big as Wednesday in relative terms, but they are a big club in their local region, and the games they had against Napoli were supposedly legendary in the venom which came from the terraces whenever they met

aye they certainly are mate and by the way things are going for the owls we may end up in the same position as verona, as a by does anyone know where i could get a verona shirt?

mark_knopfler
14-08-2011, 17:07
I hadn't realised they had made it back to Serie B. Good luck to them this year.

Arveladzes Shuffle
14-08-2011, 17:15
elkjaer, what a player! always reminds me of mexico '86.

and a good book too.

They had some team in the 80s and early 90s the danes.