PDA

View Full Version : Alan Spence book 'Its colours they are fine'

george_bailey
19-09-2010, 17:01
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/193/phpxbyovcam.jpg (http://img683.imageshack.us/i/phpxbyovcam.jpg/)

Ive often highlighted to people, bluenoses and of course Tarriers, that throughout the 70s, perhaps before, A 'Hun' was used not to describe a Rangers fan but a Celtic fan, Most of the scum dispute this of course.

However, while having a flick through an old paperback book which was very popular in its day, I spotted this....

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/3747/topbmp.jpg (http://img816.imageshack.us/i/topbmp.jpg/)

They were and as far as Im concerned still are the Huns ;)

Rt. Hon. Bearman
19-09-2010, 17:07
They are never original.

Calling their rivals "huns" - nicked from us.
Singing YNWA - nicked from Liverpool.
It's a Grand Old Team - nicked from Everton.
The idea of forming a football club - nicked from Hibs.

bungobear
19-09-2010, 17:55
That brings back memories from my 2nd year English class at school!

largsbluenose
19-09-2010, 18:09
Why don't we come up with a derogatory term that we can all use to annoy them. I think "BHEAST" is the way forward. If we all kept using it it would soon catch on.

struthpark
19-09-2010, 18:16
Not sure that a grand old team was nicked from everton, but I know when I was growing up every team (including us) was singing it.

Ardoyne RSC
19-09-2010, 18:18
Why don't we come up with a derogatory term that we can all use to annoy them. I think "BHEAST" is the way forward. If we all kept using it it would soon catch on.

Good idea. and they can't claim it is sectarian (although the behaviour of the Catholic church means that it most definitely is)

Linwoodloyalblue
19-09-2010, 18:28
They are never original.

Ra sellik are Nickers...

and are THE HUNS

I remember us chanting go home ya huns at THEM

londonloyal
19-09-2010, 18:33
I can certainly recall in the 70's singing 'go home ya huns' to the tarriers when they sloped out early after another pumping.

As the tims so expertly prove time and again, tell a story often enough.....

Steviep1962
19-09-2010, 18:59
remember the line of the song
"if i had a tommy gun i`d shoot every fenian hun just for walking on the queens highway"

BlackSoxRedTops
19-09-2010, 19:15
"if i had a tommy gun i`d shoot every fenian hun just for walking on the queens highway"

;) no pope , priests or holy water.................:)

gourockblue50
19-09-2010, 19:33
As I sed to a tim fek on my email list (about 150 people) at work when he called us huns.

"You lot are second in the league and second to call your rivals huns" Always second.

deedle
19-09-2010, 20:12
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/193/phpxbyovcam.jpg (http://img683.imageshack.us/i/phpxbyovcam.jpg/)

Ive often highlighted to people, bluenoses and of course Tarriers, that throughout the 70s, perhaps before, A 'Hun' was used not to describe a Rangers fan but a Celtic fan, Most of the scum dispute this of course.

However, while having a flick through an old paperback book which was very popular in its day, I spotted this....

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/3747/topbmp.jpg (http://img816.imageshack.us/i/topbmp.jpg/)

They were and as far as Im concerned still are the Huns ;)

I read the book, found that passage and have quoted it a few times on FF to illustrate that Rangers fans used the word to describe Tims or anyone they didn't like.

http://forum.*****************/showthread.php?t=465108&highlight=Spence

bridgeton bear
19-09-2010, 20:31

no home rule for ireland

Chiefbromden
19-09-2010, 20:33
If I had a tommy gun .......

no home rule for ireland

superbear
19-09-2010, 20:35
Yes, we used it once upon a time. But then "gay" used to just mean happy. :cool:

Steve A Stevens
19-09-2010, 20:35
TFIO, go home ya Huns.

bridgeton bear
19-09-2010, 20:36
If I had a tommy gun .......

id shoot every fenien hun

bridgeton bear
19-09-2010, 20:38
just for walking on the Queens highway

hyramotyre
19-09-2010, 20:39
Yes, we used it once upon a time. But then "gay" used to just mean happy. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOdHNGG9yWU

:D

superbear
19-09-2010, 20:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOdHNGG9yWU

Not one of Eric's very best.

But a bit of a laugh anyway. ;)

george_bailey
20-09-2010, 21:29
A wee bump in response to Leggats article ;)

pennyblack
20-09-2010, 21:42
yahoo is the name, cheating their game

firhillblue
20-09-2010, 21:42
they are and always will be huns in my eyes, taigy tarrier huns.

thegodfather
20-09-2010, 22:36
Not sure that a grand old team was nicked from everton, but I know when I was growing up every team (including us) was singing it.

I`m 55yrs old, been a Rangers for as long as I can remember and I have NEVER heard ANY Rangers fan sing that :confused:

noodles
20-09-2010, 23:30
I`m 55yrs old, been a Rangers for as long as I can remember and I have NEVER heard ANY Rangers fan sing that

I can remember hearing groups of our fans singing to that tune in the 70's, probably around 1974ish.
IIRC it went - and if you know thier history, it's enough to make your heart go 'no surrender'
Bearing in mind i was around 13 at the time i may have got the words wrong.

lebooboo
20-09-2010, 23:50
Posters who are (correctly) pointing out that we used to call them "huns", are somewhat missing the point in this matter, as far as I am concerned.

Yes, we DID call them huns....but they also called us huns at that time.

"Hun" was a generic insult that could be used against anyone....when we were winning, we'd sing "go home ya huns", as well as other songs containing the word.....but if they were winning, they also sang it.

People are missing the point of how this has developed into a sectarian insult against Protestants over the years, in their haste to point out how "they were the wans that wur originally the huns".

jaytrotter
21-09-2010, 00:36
I`m 55yrs old, been a Rangers for as long as I can remember and I have NEVER heard ANY Rangers fan sing that :confused:

I may be piecing bit of old memories together but I remember my father,after a few drinks, rattling off...

Hail, Hail The Pope's in jail
What the hell do we care
Hope the bastard dies there
Hail Hail The Pope's in jail
What the hell do we care now

That would be around the mid 60's

noodles
21-09-2010, 00:42
I may be piecing bit of old memories together but I remember my father,after a few drinks, rattling off...

And i remember mine singing ;

hail hail the pope's in jail
swinging fi the rafters, the dirty fen**n bast**d

govanx
21-09-2010, 06:03
Posters who are (correctly) pointing out that we used to call them "huns", are somewhat missing the point in this matter, as far as I am concerned.

"Hun" was a generic insult that could be used against anyone....when we were winning, we'd sing "go home ya huns", as well as other songs containing the word.....but if they were winning, they also sang it.

People are missing the point of how this has developed into a sectarian insult against Protestants over the years, in their haste to point out how "they were the wans that wur originally the huns".

Grew up in the sixties and seventies, went to games in the 60's, 70's, at Ibrox , hampden, the piggery, had a few mates who supported them. Never once did I hear us getting called Huns, or hear them singing it. Dirt O$#@@@ Bast-, and shit like that. never huns.

DEXAVIA
21-09-2010, 07:34
Great book that by the way.

BB72
21-09-2010, 07:45
dunno who put the tunes on the bus to OT last week but clearly an older tape I would guess from 60/70's had a number of songs reffering to the huns(as in tims)

Witney Devil
21-09-2010, 07:50

Thats certainlyn the way I remember it. We weren't the only two teams who used the phrase either. It was common at most matches I went to in the 60's and early 70's.

TheSnowman
21-09-2010, 07:54

I'm just a tad older than you, and I can assure you that we did.:)

billp2
21-09-2010, 08:05
Give me oil in my lamp keep it burning,
Give me oil in my lamp i pray,
Give me bullets for my gun
I'll shoot every fenian HUN,
Just for walking on the queens highway....

We used to sing this in the 70's

thinline
21-09-2010, 08:33
Where is Inneskillen ?

williamlargs
21-09-2010, 08:38
I can remember hearing groups of our fans singing to that tune in the 70's, probably around 1974ish.
IIRC it went - and if you know thier history, it's enough to make your heart go 'no surrender'
Bearing in mind i was around 13 at the time i may have got the words wrong.

Correct, heared and sang the same but not at games I should point out!!!

dovit
21-09-2010, 10:04
Love the nostalgia

Greig Guthrie
21-09-2010, 10:24
I read this book when I did my disertation at Secondary school. Got a 1 for it back then, basically an A!! Good book but prefered the magic flute.;)

am proud 2 b blue
21-09-2010, 10:31
I read this book when I did my disertation at Secondary school. Got a 1 for it back then, basically an A!! Good book but prefered the magic flute.;)

take it to porkheid, it might make all the tims dissappear

super_ally_the2nd
21-09-2010, 12:23
read a passage from this book in 6th year - in fact, it was that part in the OP

meant I couldn't do my evaluation on the book itself - which I had started reading for it :mad:

been trying to find a copy for ages and had no luck :(

am proud 2 b blue
21-09-2010, 12:28

meant I couldn't do my evaluation on the book itself - which I had started reading for it :mad:

14 on amazon at the minute mate

shawsboy
21-09-2010, 17:48
Great book and author doesn't hide his allegiance. See also 'the Magic Flute' (novel)

colinstein
21-09-2010, 17:51

no home rule for Ireland

jam33
21-09-2010, 18:30

I bought it off ebay last night. 2.65 :)

barneybear
21-09-2010, 18:44

What the hell do we care

That's exactly as remember it:)

simonon
21-09-2010, 21:13
Great book and author doesn't hide his allegiance. See also 'the Magic Flute' (novel)

Also worth checking out granny made me an anarchist by Stuart Christie.

This is another novel heavy on Scottish protestant working class culture.

bally1
21-09-2010, 21:51
I remember us singing
Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells
jingle all the way.
Oh what fun it is to f--k the huns on new years day.

son of walter
21-09-2010, 21:56
They are never original.

they even nicked the mhanky grey n green hooped shirt from hibs who were the first to wear it

pennyburn
21-09-2010, 22:23
They are the huns, no question. I remember singing it at the bastards away back in the 70's as was pointed out above.
Also I believe they were referred to as "stay at home huns" during WW2

george_bailey
04-10-2010, 21:27
They are the HUNS

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/8129/8e0usy8.jpg (http://img828.imageshack.us/i/8e0usy8.jpg/)

and dont let them forget it ;)

halftemps
04-10-2010, 22:55
That brings back memories from my 2nd year English class at school!

2nd year? You must have gone to an enlightened school...

williewoodburn
04-10-2010, 23:50
about time we gave them the name back !

tamtherangersman
05-10-2010, 00:01
They are never original.

they stole the hoops from us too.

lebooboo
05-10-2010, 00:19
You can all say "they are the huns" until you are blue in the face, and it won't change a thing.

Protestants are now referred to as "huns". In common language, they have made it a sectarian term for Protestants, and it won't be changing any time soon.

superbear
05-10-2010, 00:49
If we call them "Huns" now it will only let them off the hook for their bigotry and undo the good work done on this subject by the likes of the RST.

rummy
05-10-2010, 07:53

I`m for that, can`t be labelled sectarian.

Used for long enough and often enough it could catch on.

Should be on a filter

Let`s see if they like it as its not a name I`d imagine they
would call themselves :roll:

ttbluenose
06-10-2010, 12:29

Nail on head.

It's VERY important that we understand that the word's usage has evolved and is now UNQUESTIONABLY a derogatory sectarian pejorative for a Protestant.

FACT!

ttbluenose

rossyboy8
06-10-2010, 12:39
They are never original.

:)

Would be a cracking banner.

Steven_Gers
06-10-2010, 12:50
Need to get a hold of that book.

watty200
06-10-2010, 14:08
That brings back memories from School when i read that book

loyalistpicken
06-10-2010, 14:14
Is this book still about please

deedle
06-10-2010, 14:24
Is this book still about please

Yes - I bought it in Waterstone's a few years ago.

It's a collection of short stories.

Also...........

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Colours-They-Are-Fine/dp/1857997530

loyalistpicken
07-10-2010, 07:03
Yes - I bought it in Waterstone's a few years ago.

It's a collection of short stories.

Also...........

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Colours-They-Are-Fine/dp/1857997530

Thanks deedle

bigkahunarab
07-10-2010, 08:07
This agitates the board more than any other topic. Why has there been no concerted action to start reclaiming history and start singing it back at them in simplistic Go Home ya Huns or as in Spence's version above?????? I'm sure within a day the press would be on to it and the word would be banned as offensive and the matter laid to rest.

We either grab the initiative on this or continue bleating about it for the next few decades, what's it to be Bears???

loyalistpicken
07-10-2010, 09:08
This agitates the board more than any other topic. Why has there been no concerted action to start reclaiming history and start singing it back at them in simplistic Go Home ya Huns or as in Spence's version above?????? I'm sure within a day the press would be on to it and the word would be banned as offensive and the matter laid to rest.

We either grab the initiative on this or continue bleating about it for the next few decades, what's it to be Bears???

Agree 100 % and I will tell ya all now the second we start it back at them there will be a SECTARIAN OUTCRY .... I say lets go for it big big time we will see the double standards of the media and authorities in this part of the u.k

bigkahunarab
07-10-2010, 18:35
Bump

Well, next OF Game??? Time to take the fight back Bears, enough is enough.

bigkahunarab
07-10-2010, 22:55
Well????? One mention of Hun in a cartoon and its melt down, one suggestion of singing it back to the scum the name belongs to and its apathy...... Is this issue now dead and we just accept it???

george_bailey
14-10-2010, 07:05
Well????? One mention of Hun in a cartoon and its melt down, one suggestion of singing it back to the scum the name belongs to and its apathy...... Is this issue now dead and we just accept it???

Some fans did chant it to them at Ibrow after it was revealed the Pope was a member of the Nazi youth, sadly most bears instead of joining in gave them a blank stare :(

fremantlebear
14-10-2010, 07:29

Iam 52, and sang this many a time in the 70's along with thousands of others

bigkahunarab
14-10-2010, 07:56
Some fans did chant it to them at Ibrow after it was revealed the Pope was a member of the Nazi youth, sadly most bears instead of joining in gave them a blank stare :(

It seems that for many it is easier to accept victim status in this matter instead of fighting back. You can dress it up in some philosophical tosh about it being a generic insult moulded into a sectarian tag or you can rise above it and just use the term so freely back at them that its power is diminished. If you don't want to do the latter then you might as well keep quiet as no amount of squealing will change the matter.

DiscomBob
14-10-2010, 08:13
They are never original.

But, to be fair, they have been original with:
- Having a club founded for purely sectarian reasons
- Covering up a child abuse scandal
- World-class bin-bag displays
- Introducing the world to cordless bungy-jumping (May 1999)
- Going on imaginary end-of-season tours (2008)
- Having supporters who can't spell their own team's name :D
- Being hypocrites in general ("anti-sectarian", yet allow bands to record pro-IRA music videos in their stadium; "open to all", yet boo their own fans who happen to be servicemen; TGFITW - last year never happened!; "sporting integrity", "refs/SFA/Scottish media are against us", etc.)
- Being the biggest MOPES in world football

;)

bungobear
14-10-2010, 08:14
2nd year? You must have gone to an enlightened school...

Kelvinside Academy. Royal Blue Blazers ;)

SCREEBS
14-10-2010, 08:39

What the hell do we care

I remember my old Granda singing that as well in the mid 70s

superbear
14-10-2010, 09:04
It seems that for many it is easier to accept victim status in this matter instead of fighting back. You can dress it up in some philosophical tosh about it being a generic insult moulded into a sectarian tag or you can rise above it and just use the term so freely back at them that its power is diminished. If you don't want to do the latter then you might as well keep quiet as no amount of squealing will change the matter.

Chant it back at them and be prepared for us to be called it all the more. The point that it's a sectarian insult against Protestants will be lost. They will have free reign (even freer reign than now, some would say) to indulge in their bigotry. It would be an own goal.

TheSnowman
14-10-2010, 09:09

I'm sorry Godfather, but being a bit older than you, and obviously with a better memory, this was sung regularly by us.:)

Govan36
14-10-2010, 12:46
I can certainly recall in the 70's singing 'go home ya huns' to the tarriers when they sloped out early after another pumping.

As the tims so expertly prove time and again, tell a story often enough.....

And at Hampden whilst the Rangers end was always covered ( which led to its own problems with stoor being kicked up )
"The huns are getting wet
The huns are getting wet
E I Adio, The huns are getting wet"

RSCGMBHMMBW
14-10-2010, 12:56
And at Hampden whilst the Rangers end was always covered ( which led to its own problems with stoor being kicked up )
The huns are getting wet

Also sung at Ibrox when the Copland was covered and the Broomloan was open.

toadegree
14-10-2010, 13:22
No pope priest or holy water
No home rule for Ireland
If I had a tommy gun
I'd shoot every fenian hun
Just for walking on the Queens highway.
:flaguk::flaguk::flaguk:

toadegree
14-10-2010, 13:23
The huns are getting wet

Also when they were getting lifted "the huns are going to jail" to the same tune. :p

AngryMagot
14-10-2010, 13:27

Classic , havent heard that for a long time , bring it back bears:)

bigkahunarab
14-10-2010, 23:26
Chant it back at them and be prepared for us to be called it all the more. The point that it's a sectarian insult against Protestants will be lost. They will have free reign (even freer reign than now, some would say) to indulge in their bigotry. It would be an own goal.

Nope nope nope!!!!!!! A word only has currency when it has shock value, diminish its currency and its gone......eg the use of the word Gay to describe a public figure in the 70's was a career killer, now??? who gives a damn...... The word has been devalued due to public perception changing. I am saying that the argument as to who this word should be aimed at is gone. Hun was a derogatory term when we used it and it is when they use it..... so kill it or act on it but for god sake spare me the mope type hand wringing bleating that goes on about it!!!:roll:

goldi2k6
15-10-2010, 08:40

just a shame some of our own fans would have you ejected for being riff raff if you tried to sing it now :(

gazza1872
15-10-2010, 08:51

been going to watch the gers since i was 5 and never heard us sing that pish

DR09
15-10-2010, 08:53
They are never original.

Don't forget we also wore hoops before them

Never original always second best

buffel4captain
15-10-2010, 09:58
trouble is... when you start shouting "no huns in europe" or the like at the games, all sorts will look round at you like you are mental as they accept the term.

buffel4captain
15-10-2010, 10:04
Don't forget we also wore hoops before them

Never original always second best

we typically have decent paying jobs...
we use soap...
we use contraception...
don't automatically expect the world owes us a living...
don't rape kids...
don't support terrorists...

I guess not everything will catch on. ;)

sam_cooke
15-10-2010, 10:05
trouble is... when you start shouting "no huns in europe" or the like at the games, all sorts will look round at you like you are mental as they accept the term.

yip, tons of our fans now use it as a badge of honour there is no educating some people :(

revsween
15-10-2010, 10:05

What the hell do we care

For it's a grand old team to pay bail for
And it's a grand old team to get the jail for
And if you know the history
It's enough to make your heart go NO SURRENDER.

george_bailey
20-10-2010, 13:45
No home rule for Ireland
If I had a tommy gun

Was sung for years, lets sing it again !

rosevale
20-10-2010, 14:25

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Colours-They-are-Fine/dp/0552995401/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287580812&sr=1-1

coopmyhero
20-10-2010, 14:26
we typically have decent paying jobs...
we use soap...
we use contraception...
don't automatically expect the world owes us a living...
don't rape kids...
don't support terrorists...

I guess not everything will catch on. ;)

another good banner idea

Grant
20-10-2010, 15:37
I was given a copy of the latest edition last weekend and started reading it last night.

Wearapeepil
20-10-2010, 15:46
Ra sellik are Nickers...

and are THE HUNS

I remember us chanting go home ya huns at THEM

So can I.

Now they have a German Pope, I think its about time we gave them back the name.

george_bailey
13-11-2010, 00:27
No home rule for Ireland
If I had a tommy gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQeYAeGVbLY

Fenian Hun ;)

Girny
13-11-2010, 00:36

What the hell do we care

Yes we did sing that and followed on with "for it's a grand old team" etc.
We stopped singing it in the late 60s.
Hard to believe but true.

Sam_English
13-11-2010, 01:18
I remember us singing
Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells
jingle all the way.
Oh what fun it is to f--k the huns on new years day.
Remember us singing that regularly in the early 70's

george_bailey
03-09-2011, 13:04
For any Tramps lurking on the board

Go home ya huns

54 & counting

We are the people !

SCREEBS
03-09-2011, 13:06

No home rule for Ireland . . . . .

shawsboy
03-09-2011, 13:50
I think Linfield were the first to adopt 'Hail Hail' ( The Blues are here ) strange as it sounds.

sixdaywar
03-09-2011, 15:39
They are never original.

Shafting wee boys - all their own work :eek:

revsween
03-09-2011, 15:42
No home rule for Ireland:D