PDA

View Full Version : Who are the respected ones, the big hitters

Mehmet Ali Agca
07-09-2010, 13:49
the guys with clout, money, contacts and common sense amongst the Gers support?

the reason I ask is that the club won't defend itself or the fans, the fans are divided and can't agree on much.

That judge and his Manchester garbage really should be the last straw but what do we as fans do?

We need unity, leadership by respected fans, people that have the Rangers support's best interests at heart not their own.

Who are these people? They must be there somewhere but we can't go on drifting aimlessly complaining on message boards but doing very little. I don't know that many Bears and spend a lot of time out the country however a lot of you must know people suitable to take up the fight on behalf of our fans and club.

BdTS
07-09-2010, 13:50
What do you want 'them' to say/do?

Tim Hunter
07-09-2010, 15:02
What do you want 'them' to say/do?

Perhaps offer leadership and direction to the support, and take issue with those who tell lies about the club.

superger
07-09-2010, 15:06
We are not known as a club, never mind as supporters, who will show unity when needed. Post-Manchester, I'd like to think Rangers would have asked innocent Bears brutally assaulted by GMP thugs to come forward and see if any collective legal civil-action could be brought against that horrible bunch of animals posing as a police force. But sadly, only silence from within Ibrox.......

strider
07-09-2010, 15:25
I think you'd struggle a lot to find someone respected by a vast majority of the Rangers support, such are some of the divides that seem to exist among us.

In terms of ability, I reckon we see more than a few on here and elsewhere with the intelligence, articulate nature and acquired debating skills who could take on more than most in defence of the club, but it's one thing doing that on here and another entirely doing what the OP is looking for.

When you consider how things have went at our club for years now, if we're not united in a cause after that we never will be. I honestly think the only thing that would bring the vast majority together would be something akin to administration at the club, and even then there'd most likely exist major differences on how we should deal with it.

carino
07-09-2010, 15:27
Perhaps would be defenders are wary of recidivism and getting egg on their faces.

Events involving alleged Rangers fans ( or scum wearing our tops ) most recently in Pamplona, Villarreal, Bucharest and Manchester make defending us a dodgy business for one's credibility.

sel
07-09-2010, 15:33
Donald Findlay for me like................

dofekbilbo
07-09-2010, 15:38
Perhaps would be defenders are wary of recidivism and getting egg on their faces.

Events involving alleged Rangers fans ( or scum wearing our tops ) most recently in Pamplona, Villarreal, Bucharest and Manchester make defending us a dodgy business for one's credibility.

I was at villarreal and the scum I remember most were the cops trying to beat me about the legs with their batons for the heinous crime of trying to enter their poxy little stadium with a valid ticket.

Maxiglw
07-09-2010, 15:55
Sadly when you see the abuse that David Edgar took from his "own" when he was clearly the best defender of the fans - and the club - that we have seen in recent years then i cannot see anyone wanting to step up to the plate and bat for us.

The majority remain silent while our enemies grow !

bluenose al
07-09-2010, 16:42

You lost any credibility when you mentioned Bucharest.i was there and the way we were treated was disgusting.with friends like you who needs enemies.

BdTS
07-09-2010, 16:54

...and as harsh as this is, it doesn't make it any less real/true.

bigmalc
07-09-2010, 18:13

Aye and the club shat on him when they should have supported him.

Ger57
07-09-2010, 18:37
In the last 6 years, Rangers have played over 130 away games in Scotland in cups and league, maybe more. In additon, we've played friendlies and something like 25 'away' european ties.

In the vast majority of these games, Rangers have had no arrests. The Police chief in Inverness said that "We were the least troublesome fans who visited ICT", those comments never made the national press though.

In Pamplona, the fans were set about by the Police, the initial reporting on the radio etc even said so...until the singing footage showed up, then it was "They deserved a beating".

I heard of 2 reported arrests in Villereal, again the thrown bottle and singing was the basis of the case against us. Bucherest, see post #10.

We have problems of course, all sides do. However we face a very hostile press IMO, in fact I'd go further, the press revel in trying to bring us down.

Perhaps I'm being a bit OTT, but I can't think of another side that's press have openly attempted to get them excluded from European competition. That IMO is what needs addressed.

Jimenez
07-09-2010, 18:39

They are probably wary due to the fact that even our own support are quick to get their facts wrong where rangers and controversy are concerned.

Jimenez
07-09-2010, 18:42
...and as harsh as this is, it doesn't make it any less real/true.

Bucharest and Pamplona were our faults? True? Really !?!?

paisleyprod
07-09-2010, 18:46

you are being far too quick to condemn our own mate. Pamplona kicked off outside the sadium with cops knocking feck out of old men and young ladies.

paisleyprod
07-09-2010, 18:48

Villarreal in that alley was one of the scariest times I've had as a Bear yet the folk getting crushed in the middle and beaten down the front showed remarkable restraint, oh hang on, someone sang the billy boys!

those that are having a pop at our fans are really reinforcing what I believe the OP was trying to say maybe with the need to defend our club and our fans still as great as ever.

haufcut
07-09-2010, 18:50
We are on our own as fans, if we didn't know it before we certainly know it now, we are a cash cow for people who have no respect for us or our allegiance to OUR club.

R_Sole
07-09-2010, 18:51
You lost any credibility when you mentioned Bucharest.i was there and the way we were treated was disgusting.with friends like you who needs enemies.

he sees the majority of Gers fans as scum and looks down his nose at many or at least some of his posts suggest as much.

BdTS
07-09-2010, 18:56

Did I say that?

I should perhaps have been clearer.

Because of the retards in Rangers colours who shamed us that night, we have no defence, and no-one worth their salt would dare offer one.

Aunty Christ
07-09-2010, 18:56

I'm with you on this. Carino seems quite an intelligent chap but he seems to revel in slagging off any indescretion on the part of our fans. He also seems obsessed with money, the elite and generally distancing himself from the grass roots supporters. Sorry Carino but to quote a well known but sadly deceased loyal bear from Coatbridge called Hughy Grant, "you might be big in some people's eyes, but in mine your toatie". (toatie means small Carino. Its a working class thing)

paisleyprod
07-09-2010, 18:59
so does the OP have a point or are we too big, too divided to mobilise and focus, putting other stuff to the side?

superger
07-09-2010, 19:08
We are on our own as fans, if we didn't know it before we certainly know it now, we are a cash cow for people who have no respect for us or our allegiance to OUR club.

The most accurate and relevant post on this thread.

Aunty Christ
07-09-2010, 19:10
Villarreal in that alley was one of the scariest times I've had as a Bear yet the folk getting crushed in the middle and beaten down the front showed remarkable restraint, oh hang on, someone sang the billy boys!

those that are having a pop at our fans are really reinforcing what I believe the OP was trying to say maybe with the need to defend our club and our fans still as great as ever.

Good call. Unfortunately we need "big hitters" who are prepared to defend our fans instead of hanging them out to dry. We have to get a forum together to discuss the many issues that need addressed and to come up with a strategy to defend us as no one inside the club is prepared to do so. We are constantly reminded that our support is a broad church but what really disappoints me is the number of posters who adopt a narrow minded, holier than thou approach not dissimilar to that of the agenda driven mhedia. The enemy within perhaps.

I've just finished reading a book about the 10 IRA hunger strikers " Ten Men Dead". The book is written from a Republican perspective but I found myself eagerly awaiting the death of each terrorist murderer. I don't think this is what the writer intended. Anyway, the point I want to make is that the H Block prisoners managed to bring together a diverse group of individuals and with hard work and dedication created a united, disciplined and focused group with a clear strategy and plan of action. They were so committed that 10 of them died for their cause and for that they are due some admiration despite their cowardly and murderous backgrounds. Surely our support could start to organise small groups to take forward a supporters' agenda and begin the fightback even though, as we have already seen on this thread, their are so many different viewpoints. The talent is there. Just look at some of the articulate posters. Too many to mention.

Jimenez
07-09-2010, 19:10
Did I say that?

I should perhaps have been clearer.

Because of the retards in Rangers colours who shamed us that night, we have no defence, and no-one worth their salt would dare offer one.

Who shamed us in Bucharest or Pamplona?

Jimenez
07-09-2010, 19:12
so does the OP have a point or are we too big, too divided to mobilise and focus, putting other stuff to the side?

We're certainly far too divided- even on issues we agree on. A wee look on the various Rangers forums will highlight that.

Its a damn shame most of it is personal.

Aunty Christ
07-09-2010, 19:27
We're certainly far too divided- even on issues we agree on. A wee look on the various Rangers forums will highlight that.

Its a damn shame most of it is personal.

That's the beauty of organising forums/meetings. When people have the chance to meet face to face they tend to modify their language and behaviour. If we could get something started I'm sure we could unite around a few issues then take these forward for the benefit of all. We need to do something.

gazborangers
07-09-2010, 19:27
you are being far too quick to condemn our own mate. Pamplona kicked off outside the sadium with cops knocking feck out of old men and young ladies.

And there lies half the problem. Fans from all countries get to enjoy visits to Glasgow and Ibrox for the match without any problems at all, however they do seem to do it in a different manner to many in our support.

British fans in general, and in that I suppose I have to include the scum, are often met with very heavy handed policing. However heavy handed policing in countries we visit is often the the norm for everyday citizens of that particular country. A wee search on the internet on democracies like Spain, for example, will show you how the police behave on a normal Saturday night.

Having had the pleasure of going on many European trips to watch Rangers I can honestly say you meet 90% of fellow Bears who are intent on having a great time and watching the match.

However I have never gone on a European trip and not met someone I thought was there for one thing and one thing only to make themselves as objectionable to the people of the country we are visiting.

As for "big hitters" speaking out you are assuming that they will be given coverage in any form of the media and it's actually easy news for reporters to report trouble than praise fans.

The Club has not done enough in the past to defend its support, the silence after Pamplona was deafening, Manchester in the immediate aftermath was disgracefully handled by the club -

"The Club issued 35,000 tickets for the match and there was not one of these supporters involved in the melee in the city centre caused by excessive drinking and the failure of adequate provisions to ensure that the screens were actually working. One has to remember that the Club can account for the 35,000 people inside the ground and be happy to help the Greater Manchester Police, but surely we cannot be held accountable for the remaining 165,000 who travelled without a ticket." or something along those lines could have put it to bed much earlier than it has, in fact its way up beyond its bedtime!!

As for Big Hitters, do we really need a John Reid character or Liewell toadying to an already biased press and making the average intelligent (yes I know its hard to believe) Celtic fan cringe with their lies and half truths?

If you hear or see someone with unacceptable attitudes or behaviour that is sullying the name of our great Club, is it not beyond the realms of possibility that you actually say something?

If you really do want big hitters from the business or celebrity world to speak on your behalf, we may first have to acknowledge the existence in our support of the 10% who do us no favours at all. If we are prepared as a support to tackle them head on, then many people would be willing to come forward to defend us but it is damn hard to defend the indefensible.

Ger57
07-09-2010, 19:43
If you really do want big hitters from the business or celebrity world to speak on your behalf, we may first have to acknowledge the existence in our support of the 10% who do us no favours at all. If we are prepared as a support to tackle them head on, then many people would be willing to come forward to defend us but it is damn hard to defend the indefensible.

10%? Really? 35,000 in the COM stadium, 3,500 of which were undesirables. Nope, not buying that mate.

As for 'defending the indefensible', the GMP, Spanish Police and Glasgow Celtic seem to manage perfectly well in this aspect.

What about perhaps even a defence of the defendable, ie the fans that have travelled anywhere and everywhere in support of a club who seems to want to hang them out to dry for the sake of a few bad eggs?? To much to ask?

hippo94735
07-09-2010, 19:59
Very difficult (but not impossible) without the support of the club

Tim Hunter
08-09-2010, 09:18
Ref the thread title, this seems to have lost its way.
Not one name has been suggested.
I don't count DF, since he was only ever Murray's bagman, who was thrown to the wolves, in Murray's pursuit of his knighthood.

BdTS
08-09-2010, 09:27
Who shamed us in Bucharest or Pamplona?

In Pamplona the open goal of singing STB with the add-ons was a bit of a red-neck, but I agree.

As you are leading me towards, Manchester was probably the only one of note, I stand corrected.

Mehmet Ali Agca
19-02-2012, 17:02
one and a a half years on, any clearer?

Mehmet Ali Agca
03-11-2013, 19:58
Ref the thread title, this seems to have lost its way.
Not one name has been suggested.
I don't count DF, since he was only ever Murray's bagman, who was thrown to the wolves, in Murray's pursuit of his knighthood.

Indeed, years on and no one was suggested.

As divided and rudderless than ever. SOS have been good but even they are getting abuse from so called bears. Probably those who sucked on Murray's penis.

wirralbluenose
03-11-2013, 20:18
It would take a thick skinned individual to be the public face of the Rangers support. Look at the abuse David Edgar and Chris Graham have endured from "our own", when defending us, why would anyone want to put themselves through that?

gazza162
03-11-2013, 21:02
We need someone who has the power over the press to male a riotous European campaign by some of the worst fans in Europe ,go away, and even manage to get them an award for it , now who could have that sort of clout ?

Rt. Hon. Bearman
03-11-2013, 21:57

What he said.

doc holliday
03-11-2013, 22:03
Respect has to be earned.

As for Manchester (the non football element) a complete shambles.

Fans not discouraged from drinking ,all generally good natured,then,suddenly no game.....uproar and everyone trying to see the game one way or another in already full pubs.....

The Fans demonised..the Coppers portrayed in a good light... Cops using a tiny minority to deflect attention from them .

Abacus73
03-11-2013, 22:19
Manchester was unacceptable....end of.....I was embarrassed .....

Donald Findlay is not the man....

Divisive nature of the support does not help.

We are not willing to make those that shame the club unwelcome.......that fud going around with a Rangers crest at EDL marches.....the guy has simply no right to do it. Whatever the politics of the EDL let's face it they are basically lowlife football hooligans that act tough in packs.

People want to jump onto the Rangers bandwagon without accepting that they are representing an institution.

sandy stewart
03-11-2013, 23:38
I am 68 years old retired businessman (would take on the mantle of unifying our support) was in Barcelona in 1972.we should be treated a whole lot better. l.

Top_Cat
03-11-2013, 23:41
BdTS - blast from the past! :eek:

Aunty Christ
04-11-2013, 05:02
We are not known as a club, never mind as supporters, who will show unity when needed. Post-Manchester, I'd like to think Rangers would have asked innocent Bears brutally assaulted by GMP thugs to come forward and see if any collective legal civil-action could be brought against that horrible bunch of animals posing as a police force. But sadly, only silence from within Ibrox.......

Great post. Funny how Rangers fans end up on Crimewatch despite hundreds of other "riots" slipping by unoticed. Considering we had 200,000 fans in Machester the so called "riots" were insignificant but agitators and enemies of our club made sure they were headlines for weeks. Meanwhile back at Ibrox the cowards in charge said nothing.

The only way we will change this is when the fans start complaining to RANGERS. Don't waste time phoning and writing to the press or authorities. Start bombarding those that have responsibility for representing the club and the fans. The guilty ones are club employees.

Aunty Christ
04-11-2013, 05:07
Manchester was unacceptable....end of.....I was embarrassed .....

Donald Findlay is not the man....

Divisive nature of the support does not help.

We are not willing to make those that shame the club unwelcome.......that fud going around with a Rangers crest at EDL marches.....the guy has simply no right to do it. Whatever the politics of the EDL let's face it they are basically lowlife football hooligans that act tough in packs.

People want to jump onto the Rangers bandwagon without accepting that they are representing an institution.

You wouldn't even have known about Manchester if the press hadn't whipped up a frenzy. Funny you didn't read much about the worst football violence in years up at Dens Park.

I take it your solution is to ban anyone that steps out of line? problem with that approach is the tims set the agenda. They draw the line and you'll never be able to stay within their limits.

As for you being embarrassed. What the hell can anyone say about that.

The_Gub
04-11-2013, 09:47
I'm sure there are these people you speak of but why should they put their hard earned into a black hole?

If I won 100m on a quadruple, double Euro millions rollover, not one penny would I spend on giving to the current spivs.

Don't get me wrong I would put specific monies aside to buy players for instance, but not one penny would go to the con men running the club currently, so I can see why the present day big hitters would be prudent with their dosh.

Hypothetical on my part I know.

As for Manchester and the press, Murray was to blame pure and simple.

strider
04-11-2013, 09:57
When you consider how things have went at our club for years now, if we're not united in a cause after that we never will be. I honestly think the only thing that would bring the vast majority together would be something akin to administration at the club, and even then there'd most likely exist major differences on how we should deal with it.

2010 I wrote that.

Not happy I was somewhat right about that at all....... :(

Marske_Bear
20-11-2013, 22:50
Holy thread resurrection....has the OP just found his way put a cave?

CPA Bluenose
20-11-2013, 22:57

The authorities at Villarreal and Manchester refused to listen to RFC regarding crowds numbers and potential difficulties with crowd control.

Same thing happened with Barcelona who didn't think we'd take the biggest travelling support to a CL group match.

Yet some people think we don't deserve any defence because we aren't 100% perfect.

Marshall1873
20-11-2013, 23:03
the guys with clout, money, contacts and common sense amongst the Gers support?

the reason I ask is that the club won't defend itself or the fans, the fans are divided and can't agree on much.

That judge and his Manchester garbage really should be the last straw but what do we as fans do?

We need unity, leadership by respected fans, people that have the Rangers support's best interests at heart not their own.

Who are these people? They must be there somewhere but we can't go on drifting aimlessly complaining on message boards but doing very little. I don't know that many Bears and spend a lot of time out the country however a lot of you must know people suitable to take up the fight on behalf of our fans and club.
Dont know about respected but give me the amount of money in the RFF fund and I will destroy everyone of our enemies with pleasure

Billyglasgow63
20-11-2013, 23:23
The thing about our support is every time somebody raises there head above the parapet it's not long before one of our own take a pot shot at them.

Aunty Christ
21-11-2013, 01:15

One has a reputation to maintain old boy. The last thing a respectable gentleman needs is some grubby little neds creating anomie and upsetting the bourgeoisie. How embarrassing and thoroughly distasteful.:o

Fatbearblue
21-11-2013, 03:32
Our support will never agree 100%, are we divided? of course we are, does the mood on FF reflect the mood in general as a support?

Our best hope of moving forward comes on the 19th of Decemeber when hopefully men will be put onto the board with the best intentions of Rangers at heart.

As for heavy hitters they have had numerous chances over the past three years and have not stepped up. The harsh reality is someone buying Rangers would be doing it for love not money, there is no money in owning a football club, all you can hope for is to minimise the losses, thats why no rich individuals have came forward a la Abramovich.

Moving forward i would like to see sensible business orientated people running our club, people who are willing to do a job for a very fair days pay, people with no ulterior motive but to do as good a job as they can. People with marketing savvy who can expose our brand better.

Is this a lot to ask? judging by recent history it would appear so.

Mehmet Ali Agca
26-11-2013, 19:46
Our support will never agree 100%, are we divided? of course we are, does the mood on FF reflect the mood in general as a support?

Our best hope of moving forward comes on the 19th of Decemeber when hopefully men will be put onto the board with the best intentions of Rangers at heart.

As for heavy hitters they have had numerous chances over the past three years and have not stepped up. The harsh reality is someone buying Rangers would be doing it for love not money, there is no money in owning a football club, all you can hope for is to minimise the losses, thats why no rich individuals have came forward a la Abramovich.

Moving forward i would like to see sensible business orientated people running our club, people who are willing to do a job for a very fair days pay, people with no ulterior motive but to do as good a job as they can. People with marketing savvy who can expose our brand better.

Is this a lot to ask? judging by recent history it would appear so.

good response,

thanks