PDA

View Full Version : Only a Game - 80s Documentary

Bear_Naked
05-09-2010, 19:26
Just watching it on Youtube. Any bears remember "Chimmy San-Dis-sin" and that ***** Ian Archer? :)

sgt steve mcgarrett
05-09-2010, 19:29
Just watching it on Youtube. Any bears remember "Chimmy San-Dis-sin" and that ***** Ian Archer? :)

Watched it again recently - a good documentary - but quite scathing about Rangers. Quelle surprise.

Interesting that they were talking about the same issues then that we are now - TV, money etc

cambie gers
05-09-2010, 19:48

Remember Jimmy Sandison and Richard Park from the phone ins back in the day."were you at the game" being a favourite catchphrase.

george_bailey
05-09-2010, 20:49
Watched it again recently - a good documentary - but quite scathing about Rangers. Quelle surprise.

Interesting that they were talking about the same issues then that we are now - TV, money etc

Our then club Chairman John Paton didnt exactly cover himself in glory !

Was certainly good though at the time, lots of footage which was previously rarely seen.

laganvillage
05-09-2010, 21:03
This was an excellent documentary series.Does anyone remember a one off documentary into the fire,aired around 1986.Think it was about Mr.Souness taking the manager's job.

01Sleeman
05-09-2010, 21:14
Jimmy S had a collection of catchphrases apart from the famous "were you at the match".
He also used to say, "I don't deal in rumours" and was scathing about the Scotland front line describing it as a "powder puff attack".
He died half way through the first GS season - I seem to remember him constantly saying that "tme needed to be the ally and not the enemy" for us that season.
He did get on your nerves however I got the impression he had no particular axe to grind. Apparently he was more of a boxing man.

Rankrotten
05-09-2010, 21:34
Jimmy Sanderson: "It's my job to get bums on seats" in his nasal whine. Very scathing about the monster that was TV coverage and wanted punters to actually attend the games.

paisleyprod
05-09-2010, 21:49
Archer was a skeletor look a like chain smoking ****

sam_cooke
05-09-2010, 21:53
Jimmy S had a collection of catchphrases apart from the famous "were you at the match".
He also used to say, "I don't deal in rumours" and was scathing about the Scotland front line describing it as a "powder puff attack".
He died half way through the first GS season - I seem to remember him constantly saying that "tme needed to be the ally and not the enemy" for us that season.
He did get on your nerves however I got the impression he had no particular axe to grind. Apparently he was more of a boxing man.

He often waxed lyrical of the Rangers sides of the 40s and 50s and was most certainly I believe a Rangers man ;)

thegodfather
05-09-2010, 22:32
That was my impression of him as well

Les Briggs Loyal
05-09-2010, 22:49
I remember a documentary on Souness...............

"Out of the frying pan,into the fire" I think it was called..........

charlie chalk
05-09-2010, 23:32
Remember Jimmy Sandison and Richard Park from the phone ins back in the day."were you at the game" being a favourite catchphrase.

"Bunkum and balderdash caller, bunkum and balderdash."

glasgowgas
05-09-2010, 23:40
"bunkum, utter bunkum"

IIRC Dr Dick and wee squeeky started the phone ins on Clyde (261 am) at half twelvish on weekdays!! used to listen in having my lunch at dinner break fae school!!!!!!!

britain
06-09-2010, 06:09
I remember it as being a decent documentary.

re Wee Sanderson, there was a lunch time sports slot: 'Are you acusing me of mendacity caller ?'

forrestger
06-09-2010, 08:44
"bunkum, utter bunkum"

IIRC Dr Dick and wee squeeky started the phone ins on Clyde (261 am) at half twelvish on weekdays!! used to listen in having my lunch at dinner break fae school!!!!!!!

Me too, then went back to pass on what was said. A good deal more accurate than the guff that channel churns out now.

adamski
06-09-2010, 09:00
anyone got a link, I've been trying to find it for ages.

Some helpful person at the BBC decided to re-run this at half 3 each weekday later in the 80s as well, just in time for my return from School :D

Fudgie1973
06-09-2010, 09:08
This was an excellent documentary series.Does anyone remember a one off documentary into the fire,aired around 1986.Think it was about Mr.Souness taking the manager's job.

Yip, I remember into the fire, I remember it showed the 4-4 game at ibrox, was a good documentary.

I was on it, walking to kilbowie, wearing a kappa ski jacket n farahs, I was 13, thought I was cool as!

aquatic
23-02-2012, 22:35
Just started watching some of these on youtube.

That nutter that supported Hamilton in the first one:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOYxWJUnCUI

beck
23-02-2012, 22:46
Remember hearing of the death of Jimmy S on the Bus to Borussia Moenchengladbach back in 86 now that was a trip

livi_true_blue
23-02-2012, 22:52

Ian Archer was a b'stard, is a b'stard and always will be a b'stard ... and I know he's deed.
That is all.

Russell_Nash
23-02-2012, 22:54
is into the fire out and about in cyber space

Moodymann
23-02-2012, 23:24
Ian Archer is currently in hell sucking cocks with Desmond Whyte

graemeinnes
23-02-2012, 23:52
Archer was a skeletor look a like chain smoking ****

Archer was a first class wa-k

the upsetter
23-02-2012, 23:54
Sanderson after a match against Aberdeen at Ibrox when it was Sounness and Fergie in charge .."I've seen Rocky Marciano fight at Madison Square Gardens but in all my time I've never seen a scrap like this afternoon at Ibrox" or something along those lines.Magic.

BlueNotWhyte
24-02-2012, 01:08
Archer was a malicious celtic-minded alkie, he was the inventor of "Rangers were formed to sell shirts" and other loony myths. FF once had a lovely pic of him exiting a hotel toilet complete with pish-stained breeks.:D

britain
24-02-2012, 07:38
I remember it as being a decent documentary.

re Wee Sanderson, there was a lunch time sports slot: 'Are you acusing me of mendacity caller ?'

"Individually and collectively !":D

britain
24-02-2012, 07:39
It was a decent documentary.

ttbluenose
24-02-2012, 13:21
Just started watching some of these on youtube.

That nutter that supported Hamilton in the first one:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOYxWJUnCUI

Well before I arrived in Scotland but this is magic. Memories of the "Doll's House" at Broomfield though! :eek:

And BTW the Rangers won 24 to iraftibaclubs 17 League Championships from 1891 to the outbreak of WWII.
(irafitbaclub won 18 Scottish Cups to the Rangers 14)

Mr Struth was undoubtedly more successful than the rancid Maley!

We Welcome The Chase.

Cheers