PDA

View Full Version : Cathkin Park - Third Lanark

Dado_1873
05-09-2010, 14:00
Played a game there yesterday and I must admit its completely surreal. Its like a football graveyard with all the old terracing still there surrounded by trees.

Anyone got any memories of going there to watch games? I was told yesterday that there was once a Scotland V England game there, anyone have any ideas of what the crowd might have been?

bigtam01
05-09-2010, 14:27
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathkin_Park

karanja
05-09-2010, 14:34
Was at it a few times.Think I was about 15 when it shut.

paisleyprod
05-09-2010, 14:36
I've played there but never attended a senior match there.

le bluebear
05-09-2010, 15:15
Ranges won their first ever Scottish Cup in 1894 on that ground (2nd Hampden) beating Celtic 3-1.

Visited Cathkin Park just last week.

Remarkable place.

ibelieveinrangers
05-09-2010, 16:11
Never seen cathkin the way it was, way before my time but have always admired it and it is surreal standing in the centre circle looking around.

Would be great if one day it could be restored to it's former self... or at least have all those trees cut down.

kennylanglea
05-09-2010, 16:33
Their biggest ever crowd was against the Rangers.
27th Feb 1954 3rd Round Scottish Cup tie.

An incredible 45,591 squeezed into Cathkin Park.

Try and imagine that crowd when you see it now !

Arveladzes Shuffle
05-09-2010, 16:45
Played a few games there myself about 25 years ago.

rosstheger
05-09-2010, 16:46
Would be nice to see it restored a wee bit.

It is steeped in history.

Surge
05-09-2010, 17:34
I played there once and thought it was pretty cool to place to be playing.

The other ex-senior ground that I've played at in amateur football was Anfield (ex Stirling Albion) on the plastic pitch against Stirling Uni.

Both in the early 90s.

radgeworks
05-09-2010, 17:39
Aye an absolutely amazing place. Went there with my uncle as a kid, seem to remember the pitch being immaculate.

radiotab
05-09-2010, 18:17
Aye an absolutely amazing place. Went there with my uncle as a kid, seem to remember the pitch being immaculate.

I remember being told that it had the best playing surface in Scotland, something to do with the soil in the area.

TommyB
05-09-2010, 18:23
http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/archive/cathkin-park__o_t__t_440.html

Westvanbear
05-09-2010, 18:24
superb place now although a bit eerie...its as if the trees are the spectators

JMHA464
05-09-2010, 18:29
I was at a Third Lanark memorabilia night a few weeks ago, Bob Laird was doing it he has many great mementos of the Thirds, this was his last memorabilia night as he is turning 70 soon and decided that it was time to call a halt to them, I have been in Cathkin many times to see the Rangers and I find it ironic how their demise came about, we are talking about a club that won championships and cups, the way they were allowed to go out of business is a disgrace. And they had many a large attendance at their ground.

Southside_Shug
05-09-2010, 18:39
I remember being told that it had the best playing surface in Scotland, something to do with the soil in the area.

Used to use it as a rehearsal site for the marching band I was in the 80's....were only used it a couple of times before we were told not to any longer by the Head guy from the Parks department as the pitch wouldget damaged by us??!!??:D

Dado_1873
05-09-2010, 19:20

The grass was far too long on Saturday but thats basically just down to the council not giving a hoot about it I reckon. As a few above have already said, i'd love to see it restored.

dougieblue
05-09-2010, 19:59
I can vaguely remember attending a league cup tie in the early sixties, think we won 3-1 on a wednesday night. From memory I think Cathkin at that time was pretty run down.

charlie bubbles
05-09-2010, 20:01
I was in it a few times in the 60s watching Thirds play the Teds. I was only a wee boy and can remember coming home covered inpaint from Head to toe after playing on the embankment around the stadium. >:)

GEODGC
05-09-2010, 22:44

First time i`ve seen some of those pictures, really eerie looking with all the trees coming through the terracing, there`s something really sad about it as well.

Southside_Shug
05-09-2010, 22:54
First time i`ve seen some of those pictures, really eerie looking with all the trees coming through the terracing, there`s something really sad about it as well.

I actually remember walking by it going to Toryglen pitches to play for my school when it was in a state of decay....I think that was around 1974ish... when was it razed to the ground?

Wee Ibrox
06-09-2010, 08:57
One of the saddest Places I have seen As A Football Fan

ruglenbear
06-09-2010, 08:59
My worst moment on a football pitch came at Cathkin Park

Beaten by the bottom of the league, a game that triggered a downward spiral as we missed out on promotion.

Sad day :(

:ninja:

garyw09
06-09-2010, 09:08
Is this part of the founders tour because of the Scottish cup win?

The_Gub
06-09-2010, 09:16
Their biggest ever crowd was against the Rangers.
27th Feb 1954 3rd Round Scottish Cup tie.

An incredible 45,591 squeezed into Cathkin Park.

Try and imagine that crowd when you see it now !

There was also a break in when Rangers went there in a League Cup tie on Aug 17th 1960. The crowd was believed to have been over 40,000.

chateaubleu
06-09-2010, 09:41

The "past/present" pictures on that thread are really good.

LBB
06-09-2010, 11:40
There was also a break in when Rangers went there in a League Cup tie on Aug 17th 1960. The crowd was believed to have been over 40,000.

I was at this game and, being a wee primary schoolboy at the time, watched the game from the track. Big George Young was Thirds manager at the time and, knowing his club to be in dire straits financially, he appealed to all the Rangers supporters who had got in free to send their admission money to Cathkin by postal order. I wonder what sort of response he got.

marcus91
06-09-2010, 12:30
I played there a few years back, the grass was not great, but that is down to GCC not cutting it. It would be good to try and restore it.

jimbear
06-09-2010, 12:40
Played on it one Sunday almost 40 years ago when the ground was still fully enclosed and it was spooky to play in an empty stadium where the stand and shed opposite were still there. I don't know if somebody from the local area still cut the grass but the pitch was perfectly playable. Local guys used it for bounce games for many years after the Thirds folded.

Bluepete3
06-09-2010, 13:01
I've played and scored at that park against a Rangers side with Boab Malcolm in the team. I think we won 3-1 but it must have been about 15/16 years ago. It would be nice if the park was revamped. A massive shame for it not to be.

jaws
06-09-2010, 13:07
Was at the Scottish Football Museum at Hampden with my son & nephew a few years back and they had an exhibit about it (or Third Lanark anyway). After we left hampden I decided to take them down for a look as my Granda had played a couple of games for Third Lanark. I found it an unbelievably eerie place.

macdonsj
06-09-2010, 13:08
can see my house in some of those pics
weird place, very weird due to the current state of it
with terrace and trees watching a wee pitch

Earl of Leven
06-09-2010, 13:19
Is there any truth in rumour that celtic were in some way partially responsible for their closure?

govanbluenose
06-09-2010, 14:00
Never seen cathkin the way it was, way before my time but have always admired it and it is surreal standing in the centre circle looking around.

Would be great if one day it could be restored to it's former self... or at least have all those trees cut down.

And the return of Third Lanark FC into the bargain...

govanbluenose
06-09-2010, 14:02
Is there any truth in rumour that celtic were in some way partially responsible for their closure?

Never heard one. But nothing about our east end rivals would be surprising....

Earl of Leven
06-09-2010, 14:03
Never heard one. But nothing about our east end rivals would be surprising....

Something to do with them contacting SFA re some fairly small debts and demanding legak action be taken....something along those lines.

g-hallbear
06-09-2010, 14:27
my grampa sold programmes for third lanark, back in the day. Might pop over for a look next time im in town.

gardi
06-09-2010, 14:36
Its a 2 minute walk from my house, there is something strangely beautiful about it.

Jimenez
06-09-2010, 17:09
Where exactly is the stadium? Seeing as its near by I should take a stroll along to see it.

jarra dicka
06-09-2010, 18:09
Been looking for some pics of Cathkin Park for years and some of these are superb....thanks guys

gardi
06-09-2010, 18:22
Where exactly is the stadium? Seeing as its near by I should take a stroll along to see it.

Just off Cathcart Rd, near Crosshill station.

stevanovski
06-09-2010, 18:40
used to train there often when i played for queens park.

spent one pre season running around it constantly :mad:

Calvers72
06-09-2010, 19:56
When you see the place now it's a sad and eery sight to think it hosted top flight fitba and big crowds in it's day. There an old fan here in Irvine's Girdle Toll who's got the brickwork to the entrance of his front door painted bright red and white and 'Cathkin Park' inscribed down the side. Interesting to note that the old place was the venue for a British League Cup final between the Rangers and them which we lost 3-2 AET in a 4 team tournament that had us up against Everton and the mhanks playing Sunderland to raise funds for the 1902 Ibrox disaster.

glasstigers
06-09-2010, 20:33
cathkin was the orginal hampden only walked through it in the early seventies when the vandals had wrecked it the stand was still there which had been erected just 4 or5 years before there demise there was a great book written called still seeing red that i read a few years back
guy called hiddleston i think ran the club into the ground had a dodgy deal going i thinkat the time for the land drew busby later of hearts scoring thier last goal in a 5-1 defeat to Dumbarton remember him at hearts

the99thfloor
06-09-2010, 21:06
There's some guy ( A tim unfortunately), who has bought the rights to the name of the club, and is currently in talks with GCC on taking out a 25 year lease on Cathkin Park. I think his name is Simon Weir, but couldn't shed much light on what his long term plans are.

britain
06-09-2010, 21:32
The "past/present" pictures on that thread are really good.

Agreed, just had a look.

brizybear
06-09-2010, 21:40
yes i was there that day,they were going over one of the back gates one guy was bitten by a police dog he was pleading with them with to let him go, they were saying to him we must take to the first aid you have be bitten by the dog.

mfgorm
06-09-2010, 22:47
Cathkin was built on the site of second Hampden, slightly re-aligned, according to the "played in Glasgow" book (well worth a read).

I was never in it for a match, but remember passing when there were floodlit games on. It lay derelict for about 15 years after Thirds folded. the terracing became more overgrown and the vandals continued to wreck the stand. The thing I was amazed by when I started to read a few things about Thirds was the amount of money they'd spent doing up the ground in the 60s. The stand was built and so was the cover for the terracing and possibly new floodlights. Story was Hiddleston systematically ran them down intending to sell the ground for housing.

I think Holyrood school used it for a while.

wullieonthewing
03-07-2012, 09:55
Something to do with them contacting SFA re some fairly small debts and demanding legak action be taken....something along those lines.

EoL - this is really eerie that this thread has surfaced and your comments above about the tarriers contacting the SFA etc... and the situation we are in now :mad:

tkmcg
03-07-2012, 10:15
I,ve called in a couple times on cup final days its a bit of a strange feeling

BlackIsleBlue
03-07-2012, 10:21

Thos pictures are amazing, I'd like to visit.

adamski
03-07-2012, 10:23
Thos pictures are amazing, I'd like to visit.

Train to Crosshill Station, or the 31 Bus from Stockwell St takes you straight there.

pharvey11
03-07-2012, 10:44
Did my pre season there for a few seasons, hard to imagine it was anything like those pictures!

daneman
03-07-2012, 10:45
my great uncle played for them jimmy denmark
in 1935..

coopsleftboots
03-07-2012, 10:51
Played there years ago for Rhu against Kings Park. Probably the best surface we played on. Only complaint I can recall is having to walk about half a mile to the changing rooms!

hyramotyre
03-07-2012, 10:55
Played there years ago for Rhu against Kings Park. Probably the best surface we played on. Only complaint I can recall is having to walk about half a mile to the changing rooms!

Kings Park Boys Club ? I played for them before going to Queens Park Boys Club back in the 70's.

britain
03-07-2012, 21:48

Good sight for info .

garyw09
03-07-2012, 21:49
my great uncle played for them jimmy denmark
in 1935..

That's a great name :D

strider
22-08-2012, 16:47
Figured this was worth bumping rather than starting a new thread.

I'm playing with Third's second XI these days (when the manager sees fit to pick me! :D ), and they now have a let on the Cathkin Park grass every Saturday. They want to use that for friendlies for the squad players not getting games etc, and I'd imagine they'll want to generate a bit of publicity now and then if they can.

So, if anyone has a team that's ever up for a game on the Saturday, or knows of anyone who is, let me know and I'll pass details on to my gaffer. He's going to struggle to get teams every week for games like that, so the more the merrier frankly.

wsb&warmy
22-08-2012, 16:50
Do Hampden AFC in the Glasgow Colleges Saturday morning league not still play there? Or is it Saturday afternoon you're referring to?

Grant K
22-08-2012, 16:52
Played a game there yesterday and I must admit its completely surreal. Its like a football graveyard with all the old terracing still there surrounded by trees.

Anyone got any memories of going there to watch games? I was told yesterday that there was once a Scotland V England game there, anyone have any ideas of what the crowd might have been?

Went a couple of times. Saw a Scotland v England boys international in the early 60's and one of Thirds last games when the place was beginning to fall apart. Very sad although the anguish felt by there fans at the time is only now understood!

Probably few people of my age who can't recite the forward line of Hilley, Harley, Grey McInnes & Goodfellow.

strider
22-08-2012, 16:56
Do Hampden AFC in the Glasgow Colleges Saturday morning league not still play there? Or is it Saturday afternoon you're referring to?

I'm not 100% on the details in truth - last week, they played at 2pm on the Saturday.

As I said, it's only friendlies, and it's like a 3rd XI in truth with the players picked.

bluestar51
22-08-2012, 17:04
I took my 7month old boy there about 2 weeks ago, we're from just down the road.

A rare time was had, it was amazing, eerie and sad all rolled into one.

ray mac
22-08-2012, 17:08
Remember passing by it on the march to Hampdump. Nobody knew we wee about 50 yards away but didnt want to say in case of an omen thankfully it was not and we are moving forward

Number_Eight
22-08-2012, 17:26
Every Scottish football fan should know the story of Third Lanark, and a visit to Cathkin is well worth doing.

gazzasno8jersey
22-08-2012, 17:32
Remember playing against Rangers Boys Club there about 20 years ago. Pitch seemed massive at the time, didn't realise significance of place until much late on tho. Surprised GCC havent used ground before now, maybe politics involved but that hasn't stopped them in the past I suppose.

Fingers1873
22-08-2012, 17:44
Remember playing against Rangers Boys Club there about 20 years ago. Pitch seemed massive at the time, didn't realise significance of place until much late on tho. Surprised GCC havent used ground before now, maybe politics involved but that hasn't stopped them in the past I suppose.

Their chairman who run them into the ground wanted to build houses on Cathkin Park but was refused planning permission, perhaps that's why nothing else was ever done with the land.

He died a couple of years after f*****g them over...

Sam_English
22-08-2012, 17:58
Took a short-cut through Cathkin a few times when going over to Hampden.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/SamEnglish/Other%20grounds/cathkin.jpg

Evel_Knievel
22-08-2012, 18:02
Some very nicebigs.Wish had been around when grounds were like that.

scottie626
22-08-2012, 18:03
remember getting the trollybus to the stadium when I was young

hyramotyre
22-08-2012, 18:05
remember getting the trollybus to the stadium when I was young

The trolleybus terminus/garage was at the Toryglen end of Hampden. I remember them well.

;)

colinstein
22-08-2012, 18:57

saw Rangers gub them 4...1
Wee Wullie ran riot on a cold frosty night
George Young was their manager then
I remember the big hit "Telstar" by the Tornadoes played on the tannoy (that was what the PA system was called

Bluerod
22-08-2012, 19:05
Yes went as a kid but a very distant memory

Sam_English
22-08-2012, 19:06
saw Rangers gub them 4...1
Wee Wullie ran riot on a cold frosty night
George Young was their manager then
I remember the big hit "Telstar" by the Tornadoes played on the tannoy (that was what the PA system was called

You're showing your age now mate :D

colinstein
22-08-2012, 19:21
You're showing your age now mate :D

know
this was a wee bit before my time. OK it's a TOFFS repro but I liked it

http://i48.tinypic.com/ou60kk.jpg

old bluebell
28-08-2012, 19:43
god well remember the wee house in the corner , the changing rooms,
airdrie had similar @ broomfield ,
old uncle of mine was a great Hi Hi man used to go at it with my other uncles who were all SPIDERS (Queens Park).
Now thirds had a tiny wee goalkeeper but absolutely brilliant jocky robertson ,
they also had a left winger, a right left footer think his name was mc innes ,
the minute the whistle blew him and Bobby shearer would fly straight for each other , NAE Ba!:)) ,
bobby was the same with albert murphy of the clyde, hated them.
dave hilley of thirds was a pe teacher @ whitehill sec ,
great memories of a great wee team

Helstead
28-08-2012, 19:57
Years back my uncle gave me a pin badge of theirs ,not sure where I put it,but I still recon its a good souvenir.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2yvpf9w.jpg

trueblue4
28-08-2012, 20:05

I was there in the early 50s new year game we won 2-0 don't remember much about it was just a nipper, there was about 20,000 there, I believe their highest attendance was against us 42,000. Not too sure about that many clubs in Scotland at that time their record attendance was against us.

numberoneallover
28-08-2012, 20:06
heard someone was wanting to revive third lanark??

strider
28-08-2012, 20:08

That's the gaffer of the lot I'm with.

He's been in the papers a couple of times recently, has a 300 page document with plans to revive the ground and build a new stand lodged with the relevant council, plenty of contacts with their old fans and money men who are interested in it all etc etc.

Could be a long road back for them, but if he has his way they'll be part of some sort of set-up above amateur football pretty soon.

numberoneallover
28-08-2012, 20:10
That's the gaffer of the lot I'm with.

He's been in the papers a couple of times recently, has a 300 page document with plans to revive the ground and build a new stand lodged with the relevant council, plenty of contacts with their old fans and money men who are interested in it all etc etc.

Could be a long road back for them, but if he has his way they'll be part of some sort of set-up above amateur football pretty soon.

nice one...........................would like to see if they can pull old crowds aswell lol

strider
28-08-2012, 20:11
nice one...........................would like to see if they can pull old crowds aswell lol

Wouldn't imagine there's much chance of that now! :D

kowloonloyal
28-08-2012, 20:15
god well remember the wee house in the corner , the changing rooms,
airdrie had similar @ broomfield ,
old uncle of mine was a great Hi Hi man used to go at it with my other uncles who were all SPIDERS (Queens Park).
Now thirds had a tiny wee goalkeeper but absolutely brilliant jocky robertson ,
they also had a left winger, a right left footer think his name was mc innes ,
the minute the whistle blew him and Bobby shearer would fly straight for each other , NAE Ba!:)) ,
bobby was the same with albert murphy of the clyde, hated them.
dave hilley of thirds was a pe teacher @ whitehill sec ,
great memories of a great wee team

Alex Harley was a bit dodgy tho off field I believe.
Cathkin has great and fond memories for me, first ever game was Thirds v Rangers, early 60s ended up sitting at the edge of the pitch the ground was so full from the 'break-in'. George Young, Bobby Evans as managers and the 60s version of Craig Whyte as owner (his name escapes me just now).

Helstead
28-08-2012, 20:15
I haven't been up there in years ,but just curious,so the council maintains the grass and anyone can just walk on and use the park?

Number_Eight
28-08-2012, 20:34
I haven't been up there in years ,but just curious,so the council maintains the grass and anyone can just walk on and use the park?

I walked across it a few months ago and stood on what's left of the terracing.

Go and visit it, mate.

It's incredible that it's still here.

Helstead
28-08-2012, 20:46
I walked across it a few months ago and stood on what's left of the terracing.

Go and visit it, mate.

It's incredible that it's still here.

I think I will the next time,I am home its not far from where my parents live.

Number_Eight
28-08-2012, 20:58
I think I will the next time,I am home its not far from where my parents live.

I'm just old enough to have been at Cathkin Park to see a game. I think I was there twice.

My recent trip to Cathkin was my first trip back since Thirds went under.

It's fantastic that so much of the old place is still around.

mreblue
28-08-2012, 21:01

There is always someone wanting to revive them. Been lots of attempts, nothing really much more than talk.

blue4life
28-08-2012, 21:10

some fantastic pictures on there.

robert86
28-08-2012, 23:59
Remember going with my old man,only thing that stuck in my mind was the wee goalkeeper,Jocky Robertson wee man for a keeper but good nonetheless.

Purplestar
29-08-2012, 00:04
Was telling my brother on Sunday about this thread and he told me that aiden mcgeady's old man is one of the guys who is trying to revive the Thirds and that he has quite a bit of memorabilia from the old club.

britain
29-08-2012, 06:19

Great pictures. Amazing to visit and see this old ground.

ikip loyal
29-08-2012, 06:46
Their chairman who run them into the ground wanted to build houses on Cathkin Park but was refused planning permission, perhaps that's why nothing else was ever done with the land.

He died a couple of years after f*****g them over...

A good omen :ninja:

old bluebell
29-08-2012, 10:03
almost certain there was a pub called THE HI HI!s , think it was heading down towards gorbals , any one tell?

flootbon
29-08-2012, 10:07
I was there on numerous occasions as a boy. I watched Thirds beat Rangers 4-1 in a Glasgow Cup tie.

Played for the school team at Cathkin - away side.

flootbon
29-08-2012, 10:08
almost certain there was a pub called THE HI HI!s , think it was heading down towards gorbals , any one tell?

It was in Crown Street.

hyramotyre
29-08-2012, 10:09

The Hi Hi Bar was on Crown Street, Gorbals. On the left hand side walking into the city centre, just before Caledonia Street.

It was the preferred haunt of a younger clientele during the 60's [ Jimmy Boyle held court there].

old bluebell
29-08-2012, 16:59
aye was sure i had passed it on a bus, never been in though,

esemsea
29-08-2012, 19:39
Remember outside waiting for players autographs when that Twat Alex Harley pissed through a broken window onto some kids below.Fkn big time charlie.