PDA

View Full Version : James McArthur

JamGer
30-08-2010, 23:45
The way our squad is shaping up at the moment its obvious we could do with another centre mid in our squad, i felt at the time when he was moving to Wigan we should have went for McArthur, i fell we have really missed the boat on that one, i think he actually moved for under a one million quid so it would have been within our budget.

daviej1873
30-08-2010, 23:46
Where you ok after you fell mate?

strider
30-08-2010, 23:47
I know some won't agree, but I genuinely feel the likes of Shinnie, Ness, Stirling, Bendiksen and Fleck are just as capable in central midfield as McArthur.

We probably won't see much of them this season, but I'd prefer to take a chance on one of them than have seen us sign McArthur. The same applies to many SPL players we've been linked with - given the first team exposure, we have young players with just as much ability if not more.

rez_1873
30-08-2010, 23:48
Would he have played ahead of Edu, Davis or McCulloch?

No.

Would have been a pointless signing.

gumpfish
30-08-2010, 23:49
Is he actually any good?

Keep hearing about him but he hasn't impressed against us or in any live accies game i've seen on the telly.

JamGer
30-08-2010, 23:55
Is he actually any good?

Keep hearing about him but he hasn't impressed against us or in any live accies game i've seen on the telly.

I personally was impressed with him in quite a few games he played against us, got around the park well , and was comfortable on the ball and seemed to get few goals, i just think he would have been worth it for the money.

uddingstonbluenose
30-08-2010, 23:57
I seen him last week in the Carling Cup v Hartlepool.

To be honest he looked lost, other than a rash challenge where he was lucky not be send off, he did nothing. He was no more than an average SPL player.

beanyrfc
30-08-2010, 23:58
JAMger JAMes McArthur? Could it be?:eek:

paisleyprod
30-08-2010, 23:58
I think he isn't bad at all. For us? not sure

JamGer
31-08-2010, 00:03
I seen him last week in the Carling Cup v Hartlepool.

To be honest he looked lost, other than a rash challenge where he was lucky not be send off, he did nothing. He was no more than an average SPL player.

Have not seen him playing for Wigan as of yet, but to call him a average SPL player is a bit harsh, most average SPL players dont end up at Premiership teams. My point being Davis and McCulloch are not going to play everyweek with injuries and suspensions etc Edu who i do like is a bit eratic and seems to start of games really slowly before he grows into them.

Chalky_gers
31-08-2010, 00:06
Would of been good to have another bluenose on the squad.

JamGer
31-08-2010, 00:10
JAMger JAMes McArthur? Could it be?:eek:

Ha ha you have sussed me out:D. Im sharing a flat with James McCarthy and had to get away from his constant singing of the soldiers song! the true Irish man that he is, so i thought bugger it get on the follow follow:D

theloyalbear1981
31-08-2010, 00:15
Ha ha you have sussed me out:D. Im sharing a flat with James McCarthy and had to get away from his constant singing of the soldiers song! the true Irish man that he is, so i thought bugger it get on the follow follow:D

Get to your bed, this thread has kept me up and now I'm going to upset big kendo in the morning when I ask him for last minute annual leave

JamGer
31-08-2010, 00:28
Get to your bed, this thread has kept me up and now I'm going to upset big kendo in the morning when I ask him for last minute annual leave

Think someone has been drinking!

theloyalbear1981
31-08-2010, 00:31
Think someone has been drinking!

Can't drink in my line of work, especially when I start at seven

JamGer
31-08-2010, 00:39
Can't drink in my line of work, especially when I start at seven

Hmmm wrong thread i think you have got mate:blink:

argh de bee
31-08-2010, 00:39
In the one occasion i saw him play in the flesh last season he stood out like a sore thumb in the Hamilton side. So much better than any of there other players it was silly. Able to get his head up, pick a pass, good engine.

I think he'd have been a good squad player for us this season.

JamGer
31-08-2010, 00:43
In the one occasion i saw him play in the flesh last season he stood out like a sore thumb in the Hamilton side. So much better than any of there other players it was silly. Able to get his head up, pick a pass, good engine.

I think he'd have been a good squad player for us this season.

Yeah agree mate, he was head and shoulders above everyone in Hamilton team.

mccoist_355
31-08-2010, 00:47
I was surprised we didn't even get our token 'derisory' bid in.

beanyrfc
31-08-2010, 00:55

knew it, at least one of you will enjoy wearing the blue and white:p

motorhead12
31-08-2010, 02:01
nah not worth the signing tbh, he would have been on the bench

motorhead12
31-08-2010, 02:02
......................now u mention it though, the cheif tarrier scouts will have seen this and sign him before midday!

R.W.B.
31-08-2010, 07:11
The way our squad is shaping up at the moment its obvious we could do with another centre mid in our squad, i felt at the time when he was moving to Wigan we should have went for McArthur, i fell we have really missed the boat on that one, i think he actually moved for under a one million quid so it would have been within our budget.

Im sure he went for about 400,000

Baxter79
31-05-2011, 15:14
If we could get him for a similar price Wigan paid i would take a chance on him.

Davemc043
31-05-2011, 15:22
He's woeful. Ness is a far better prospect IMO

KopGer
31-05-2011, 15:22
He's looked out of his depth to me anytime I've seen him.

Not good enough, at the moment, for the Rangers.

JellaFella
31-05-2011, 15:23
Did he go for 400k? If we had money we would have signed him. I think he is pretty good.

Elvis Cole
31-05-2011, 15:25
If he was not a blue nose from Dennistoun would we even be talking about him.

Hes a Rangers man and for that reason alone I want him to shine every time hes on the telly. So far I have not seen a single thing that would make me want him to sign for us.

jed jed1
31-05-2011, 15:29
i think ness looks a better prospect,if he can stay free from injury this season ness could be a major player for us.

Worthy_Candidate
31-05-2011, 16:16
If we are going to spend decent money on a midfielder then it has to be someone who will come in as a first choice who will improve the starting eleven.

McArthur, decent player that he is, will not do that and will only keep Hutton and Ness away from the bench.

Worthy_Candidate
31-05-2011, 16:17
i think ness looks a better prospect,if he can stay free from injury this season ness could be a major player for us.

Ness looks the real deal but injuries have always been a problem for him.
Hopefully the club can work on this and give him a chance of a Rangers career.

KopGer
31-05-2011, 16:24
Ness looks the real deal but injuries have always been a problem for him.
Hopefully the club can work on this and give him a chance of a Rangers career.

It's an extreme example, but one that provides hope for Ness's longevity and future prospects.

His injury catalogue is not too dissimilar to that of a young Steven Gerrard and while his quality was never in doubt there were genuine fears that his body would never allow him to reach the heights his talent deserved.

He toiled until he was 23 or 24 and then it all clicked giving him the best years of his career relatively free of the succession of injuries which blighted his formative footballing years.

Admittedly, now that he's 31 his body appears to be breaking down again but it is my hope that with expert medical supervision and sensible coaching we can see a healthy Ness enjoy the best and most productive years of his football career at the peak of his powers.

Cooperfan
31-05-2011, 16:31
I don't think we need a new CM. Ness and Hutton are adequate back up.

grantyboy69
31-05-2011, 16:50
I know some won't agree, but I genuinely feel the likes of Shinnie, Ness, Stirling, Bendiksen and Fleck are just as capable in central midfield as McArthur.

We probably won't see much of them this season, but I'd prefer to take a chance on one of them than have seen us sign McArthur. The same applies to many SPL players we've been linked with - given the first team exposure, we have young players with just as much ability if not more.

you wont see much of shinnie, he got released;)

strider
31-05-2011, 16:56
you wont see much of shinnie, he got released;)

True, but I posted that well before he did! :D

WATP73
31-05-2011, 17:00

Shinnie and Stirling got released last week.

Jelavic1979
31-05-2011, 17:03
No from me, to slow and Hamilton was his level.

strider
31-05-2011, 17:07
Shinnie and Stirling got released last week.

As I've pointed out, this thread was started at the start of the season, so my post is dated from then.

Disappointed to see Stirling released - really hoped he would make it.