PDA

View Full Version : No live tv at Pittodrie in 1987. For those not there

arnietac1
21-08-2010, 22:23
this is what every Rangers fan had to listen to that great Saturday when Souness woke us up.

I was there.

Just imagine sitting next to your radio from noon. When before Radio cattolica came into being.

Turn the sound to 11!!!:D

10,000 outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyPBnoa6elU&feature=search

Red_White_and_Ajax
21-08-2010, 22:27
I remember the tears :D

Phil Leotardo
21-08-2010, 22:35
First time I've heard that and it's hard not to get caught up in the emotion of it all.

Red_White_and_Ajax
21-08-2010, 22:38
First time I've heard that and it's hard not to get caught up in the emotion of it all.

I take it you aren`t old enough to remember it , Phil ?

Phil Leotardo
21-08-2010, 22:39
I take it you aren`t old enough to remember it , Phil ?

I wanted to go but had only just turned one so wasn't allowed.

mrgallus
21-08-2010, 22:40
was up there that day - was incredible!

Went to Larkhall afterwards and spent the whole weekend there - was unbelievable

Red_White_and_Ajax
21-08-2010, 22:41

:D

it was a very long 9 years

jay1873
21-08-2010, 22:42
1st title i remember Rangers winning. Listened to the game on the radio with one of my mates in his Grandads shed. When the final whistle went and we were Champions we ran out onto the street screaming and shouting. Magic day

texas ranger
21-08-2010, 22:43
The bold Richard Park commentating.

rez_1873
21-08-2010, 22:45
I was only 6, but I remember my dad coming home and getting a battering off my mum because he was absolutely steaming after nipping to the pub for a celebratory drink. Think he drank the Red Lion in Prestwick dry.

Going through 3 seasons without winning the league was torture for me, god knows what it would have been like to have watched the likes of the Sheep, Utd bettering us.

Red_White_and_Ajax
21-08-2010, 22:46
I was only 6, but I remember my dad coming home and getting a battering off my mum because he was absolutely steaming after nipping to the pub for a celebratory drink. Think he drank the Red Lion in Prestwick dry.

Going through 3 seasons without winning the league was torture for me, god knows what it would have been like to have watched the likes of the Sheep, Utd bettering us.

not pleasant

Motherwell we seemed to always struggle against as well , and ****ing Dundee

rez_1873
21-08-2010, 22:50
not pleasant

I started going to games in 88/89 season, my old man always talked about Dens being a bogey ground.

When I think of Motherwell, I think of Dougie f ucking Arnott.

trublustuuk
21-08-2010, 22:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdMl8pkubXU&feature=related

Wee video I found of it :)

Phil Leotardo
21-08-2010, 22:52
Incidentally, does anyone have, or know anyone who has, part of the goalposts? :)

shotta7
21-08-2010, 22:53

Bravomar6
21-08-2010, 22:55
I was 16, I was there, ticket was 2.60 I think, I got offered 50 outside and said NO, I saw us win the league that day and Ill never forget it. I also didnt run on the park. Dunno why? lol

strummer
21-08-2010, 22:56

It's a bitch aint it. :p I mean, I was a very responsible 14 month old at the time but noooo, "yer no allowed."

Top_Cat
21-08-2010, 22:58
I remember i very well, I was 13! :o

jay1873
21-08-2010, 23:00

Just watched it. Had a lump in my throat as the memories of that day came flooding back

campsie
21-08-2010, 23:00
our ABOD took a stance that all members walked the raploch that day. I was fc ukn ragin. I remember turning the corner and all we saw was green white and gold, it was some feelin as we walked. Then somebody shout falkirk have scored. Bottles rained everywhere. I remember watching the highlights at night in, im sure it was the red lion tillicoutry or something. Wee community hall was just across from it. Vowed id never miss The Rangers again for a parade, did so a numbers of times again mind you:D

falkirkbear
21-08-2010, 23:08
I remember listening to it on the radio, my old man was up at Pittodrie but I was too young being only 11 at the time:(

I was however at the final game of the season against St Mirren and got caught on camera waving to the cameraman from the front of the Broomloan, was reunited with the footage by a poster on here a few years ago who sent me a copy of the highlights on DVD:)

FiveStarGer
21-08-2010, 23:08
was only three years old so too early for me!

really we hope we beat those sheep pricks up there this season though!

or if we secured the league up there that would be nice also!

Boumsong
21-08-2010, 23:09
First time I saw us win the title.

Was anyone at pittodrie when super ally scored 2 crackers? It was in the 80s & don't think there was cameras present as I've never seen the goals since

Pollok-Loyal
21-08-2010, 23:10
One of the best days ever,we were in the old paddock with the sheep,when Butcher scored the place erupted.:D

godfodder
21-08-2010, 23:11
I was 14 and went to the game on the old Glen Rangers bus (now that was a bus!).

I went home with a lump of Pittodrie and took it in to school on the Monday!

rangeral
21-08-2010, 23:14

Was anyone at pittodrie when super ally scored 2 crackers? It was in the 80s & don't think there was cameras present as I've never seen the goals since

That the last game in 1991-92 season, believe McCoist has footage of them given by Aberdeen themselves.

canalbear
21-08-2010, 23:16
The rangers are back.

I was there ,on the pitch and loving it.

Back to Cumbernauld village for a street party.

krs
21-08-2010, 23:18
Wonderful memories

falkirkbear
21-08-2010, 23:19
Related video, check out the Falkirk fans:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isZA7IFgXKs

MDC
21-08-2010, 23:20
I remember sitting upstairs in my Grandad's house, listening to the radio, as I normally did every other Saturday.

He (unusually) came up to join me for the last ten minutes. Never a man for much in the way of talking, but I remember him being very, very happy.

Lovely, small memories - it meant a lot to a very many people.

Josmeg
21-08-2010, 23:20
Bittersweet for me.... Had a ticket ( still have ), got pissed night before and missed bus!!!!!!! Part of me hoped we could keep till last game... St mirren I think!!!!:o

godfodder
21-08-2010, 23:22

Cracking rendition of the tarrier defeatist classic at the end of that clip.

blueboom
21-08-2010, 23:27
i was there in with the sheep too ;)

L555BAT
21-08-2010, 23:34
I remember listening to it on the radio, my old man was up at Pittodrie but I was too young being only 11 at the time:(

Too young? I was 10 and I was there with my dad. Strangest thing I remember about that day was as I was making my way down nearer the front (had to climb over the seats as it was obviously jam packed) I bumped in to my Primary School teacher from Carmyle (Mrs Blackwell):)

dcbear
21-08-2010, 23:34
Went to the student union for a couple of quick beers, a couple of games of pool and the game on the radio.

10 hours later we're jumping about hammered, singing non-pc songs with the blue cue chalk all over our noses.

21-08-2010, 23:40

I was there that day, here are the goals Super Ally Golden Boot Goals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tFeGBG3mBg)

the beach end was superb that day

Boabmeister
21-08-2010, 23:45
paid a young gers fan 15 for a 3 ticket, in the corner next to the beach end, then the rangers end, i reckon there were at least 15,000 rangers fans inside pittodrie that day.

my favourite ever rangers game that i was at.:)

dmac786
21-08-2010, 23:48
I was there - on the park at full time along with the whole of the Beach End - it was Bedlam - what a day !

kevfromkent
21-08-2010, 23:52
i was there, got a ticket, just before kick-off,for the sheep side of the stand opposite the main stand and managed to walk behind the stand at half time into the rangers end - fantastic :) oh, and i still have a seat from that day, lol

devondave1873
22-08-2010, 00:01
Incidentally, does anyone have, or know anyone who has, part of the goalposts? :)

One of my mates has a tent peg from the nets :)

basilboli
22-08-2010, 00:03
In the Aberdeen end with a few hundred bears..it was bedlam!Police cordon around us..on the park at the end and exit via the Beach end! One of the proudest moments in following Rangers for me!

JMHA464
22-08-2010, 00:20
I had very mixed emotions that day, went up to Pittodrie for the game loved everything about it, the fans the colour and winning the league brilliant, got home to see my wife and young brother in tears in my living room, my oldest brother was shot and killed in Ireland at 4.26, my brother was on leave and couldn't go to the game as he was to return to his baracks in Linfield.

The Busby Bear
22-08-2010, 00:56
Went to most of the games that season, but my old man was in hospital getting a knee operation that week and i couldn't go (i was 11), i just remember going the following week to Ibrox with him on crutches when we beat St Mirren 1-0, Fleck scored if i remember. The start of great things.

Dr_Seuss
22-08-2010, 01:02
Following through thin and thin during the 80's that one to me that one is still better than any of the NIAR

cairngorm
22-08-2010, 01:12
Was in with the Aberdeen fans that day, directly behind the goal where big TB scored. Many Aberdeen fans waited to shake hands with us after the final whistle, changed days indeed.

If I remember correctly Falkirk put the tims to the sword at the piggery the same day.

numero11
22-08-2010, 01:20
**** mate sorry to hear jmha puts it all into perspective!

kingsburyblue
22-08-2010, 01:31
I was with her majesty at the time , i had a half ounce on at evens and the fecking bookie went bust and got moved to another hall.

On the Monday , me and a guy called Frankie from Wishaw and another loony called Eastie from Kilwining got drunk on Frankies hooch to celebrate

GEODGC
22-08-2010, 01:32
I still feel gutted that i didn`t get to that game, i was at every game that season in the league and cup and couldn`t get a ticket for Pittodrie, we were down at the supporters bus at 0800 to see if we could get a ticket but nothing was doing. I was persuaded not to travel as we were told that we wouldn`t get in:(, it made it all the worse when we heard that they let all the supporters in that had waited outside during the game.

arnietac1
22-08-2010, 22:05
I still feel gutted that i didn`t get to that game, i was at every game that season in the league and cup and couldn`t get a ticket for Pittodrie, we were down at the supporters bus at 0800 to see if we could get a ticket but nothing was doing. I was persuaded not to travel as we were told that we wouldn`t get in:(, it made it all the worse when we heard that they let all the supporters in that had waited outside during the game.

Younger people will not be able to understand your frustration...they can all watch it live on Sky now.
So different to then.

britain
23-08-2010, 06:28
Read this later too.

gourockblue50
23-08-2010, 08:57
I had very mixed emotions that day, went up to Pittodrie for the game loved everything about it, the fans the colour and winning the league brilliant, got home to see my wife and young brother in tears in my living room, my oldest brother was shot and killed in Ireland at 4.26, my brother was on leave and couldn't go to the game as he was to return to his baracks in Linfield.

Jeezo mate that is what you call a roller coaster ride.

Tragic stuff.

adamski
23-08-2010, 09:09
this is what every Rangers fan had to listen to that great Saturday when Souness woke us up.

I was there.

Just imagine sitting next to your radio from noon. When before Radio cattolica came into being.

Turn the sound to 11!!!:D

10,000 outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyPBnoa6elU&feature=search

that's the first I've heard that in around 15 years.

>:):D:)

DamsideBear
23-08-2010, 09:13
I still remember that great day at the ripe age of 12!

basiltherat
23-08-2010, 09:15
Youngsters today probably have no idea how bad it was. Not only did we not win it for 9 years but we weren't even finishing second. The year before we struggled to scrape fifth place for a spot in the UEFA.
Those were the days when beating Aberdeen and Dundee Utd at Ibrox was a seriously good result and to beat them away from home was a real achievement.
I doubt any bear who lived through it could fail to be grateful to Souness for coming in and changing the mindset right away.

BroxiBear1872
23-08-2010, 09:58
I queued for 3 hours at Ibrox for my ticket. The day before the game I opted not to go as I convinced myself that we wouldn't win the league until the following week.
Sold my ticket to an Uncle of a girlfriend I had at the time for cost price. Listened to the game the following day and watched the news after it was over and learned that some folk had sold their tickets for hundreds of pounds. Was cursing myself for not going but never regretted giving my ticket to a fellow bear at cost price. Never able to understand folk who profit out of selling tickets to fellow bears.

portadown_blue
23-08-2010, 10:03
I remember i very well, I was 13! :o

i was 12 and driving through portadown town center with my mum and dad with the radio on , when the final whistle went we hooted the horn and roared out the window all the way down the town while my mum hid her head in her hands. :)

derek145
23-08-2010, 10:05
Superb day, it really was one of those "I was there" moments. Fantastic sight when I walked into the Beach end and saw a couple of thousand Rangers fans sitting right behind the goal in the Aberdeen end and the pitch invasion just topped off one of the best days to be a Bear.

Cappra414VG
23-08-2010, 10:49
Thanks for posting a link to my recording !!!

KAISERINO_THE_BEAR
23-08-2010, 10:56
remember this well , was playing for Scotland schoolboys that day against Wales and was listening to the match on the mini bus up the road to Aberdeen after my game , the bus was full of Tims and Dundee boys (Garry Bollan) was on my bus , loved it , just wished i was there :)

Walkers Loyal
23-08-2010, 11:15
Went up there with the Coatbridge Crichton Street Supporters bus and stayed through in Stonehaven overnight. What a trip and what a weekend.
The excitement and anticipation (and bevvy) on the bus going up there on the Saturday morning will be hard to beat. It was a long 9 years wait for that title and you could almost taste it we were so close.
When news filtered through that Falkirk had beaten Them 2-1 at the piggery we knew we were champions and we all just poured onto the pitch in delerious celebration.
I got myself a piece of turf from the pitch as a souvenir and sitting on the coach afterwards waiting to leave I looked out the window to the coach parked beside us and gave a big cheesy grin to a bear on the next coach. I held up my piece of turf to show him my memento. He gave me a grin and a thumbs up and proceeded to hold up a piece of the goalpost as his souvenir! :D
Me and a group of the guys on the bus had all bought English style police helmets to wear to the match that day (don't ask why, it seemed a good idea at the time!).
Sitting in the hotel room later that night, there must've been about 30 of us in this tiny wee room we were all watching the highlights and as the camera panned around the Rangers end we all saw ourselves lined up in a row wearing the helmets!:D
What an experience as a 17 year old to be there to witness our first title in almost a decade! :)

StavanGER
23-08-2010, 11:52
Bittersweet for me.... Had a ticket ( still have ), got pissed night before and missed bus!!!!!!! Part of me hoped we could keep till last game... St mirren I think!!!!:o

Me too, mate. Stomach churns just thinking about how I had got a ticket through our supporters' bus yet didn't turn up because I didn't think I would get one!!! Enjoyed the St Mirren game the week after, but still GUTTED to this day about missing the game at Shittodrie!!:(

britain
23-08-2010, 12:51
Fantastic day. Rangers Champions. First time since I'd been in P6 a long wait and we were back

williamlargs
23-08-2010, 13:03
Great memories. Now you all know how us really old farts felt at Easter Road in 1975. We had waited 11 years!!

Some Poor Monkeys
23-08-2010, 13:05

I am in that!

3:57 in... bumble bee jumper with an auld bedsheet loyal :D

A great day!

bigtongue
23-08-2010, 13:50
I was there with my bed sheet Rangers league champions 1986/87 still got it in a box somewhere,in my dads house.Numan Loyal has a great tale about that day.

giantchelsea
23-08-2010, 13:52
I listened to the game in the Grapes despite having travelled to Aberdeen to get tickets for their end.

I had to buy vouchers off the sheepshaggers to enable me to purchase the match tickets and didn't have enough money to buy everyone in my posse a ticket. I was two tickets short.

I decided to do a ballot and low and behold myself and Smiddy were the unlucky duo.

The guys who did go didn't shut up for years about how good that day was :mad::D

omegaman
23-08-2010, 14:02
Youngsters today probably have no idea how bad it was. Not only did we not win it for 9 years but we weren't even finishing second. The year before we struggled to scrape fifth place for a spot in the UEFA.
Those were the days when beating Aberdeen and Dundee Utd at Ibrox was a seriously good result and to beat them away from home was a real achievement.
I doubt any bear who lived through it could fail to be grateful to Souness for coming in and changing the mindset right away.

We won the title against some very good teams that season.

Aberdeen started the season with Ferguson still at the helm, Jim McLean steered Dundee United to the final of the UEFA Cup that year while Hearts so nearly won the title the previous season only to be pipped by the Beggars. Add in a very handy Dundee side and it was an infinitely more difficult league to win than now.

Beyond winning the Champions League, nothing will come close to winning the title that season for me in terms of emotion and sense of achievement.

derek145
23-08-2010, 14:08
I am in that!

3:57 in... bumble bee jumper with an auld bedsheet loyal :D

A great day!

Bumble Bee tops and bedsheets:eek:

Crouchy
23-08-2010, 14:15
Was there any Fighting on the Pitch that Day?

Looks/Sounds brilliant.

Walkers Loyal
23-08-2010, 14:35
Was there any Fighting on the Pitch that Day?

Looks/Sounds brilliant.

Apart from Souness being sent off? :D
The only fighting was the Bears trying to be the first to rip the shirts off the players backs! :D

Crouchy
23-08-2010, 14:43
Apart from Souness being sent off? :D
The only fighting was the Bears trying to be the first to rip the shirts off the players backs! :D

Pleasantly suprised to hear that.

I'm struggling to see how the Sheep contained there hatred when we invaded their Pitch though.

Walkers Loyal
23-08-2010, 14:46
Pleasantly suprised to hear that.

I'm struggling to see how the Sheep contained there hatred when we invaded their Pitch though.

Don't think there could've been more than a couple of thousand sheep at the game that day mate. It seems that almost every ticket was bought up by Bears. Certainly when big Butcher scores at the Aberdeen end to take the lead most of the stand is up celebrating the goal too :D

stayfor90mins
23-08-2010, 18:45
Brilliant...! I was there that day in the Beach End as a 13 year old and is one of my best Rangers memories ever, think I wathced the highlights about 100 times, my Dad wouldnt let me on the pitch though..

Bullseye
23-08-2010, 18:57
Remember i very nearly broke my leg trying to get on the pitch..It got stuck under those stupid wooden benches.

Yorkhill blue
23-08-2010, 18:59
I was 16, I was there, ticket was 2.60 I think, I got offered 50 outside and said NO, I saw us win the league that day and Ill never forget it. I also didnt run on the park. Dunno why? lol

I paid 20 for a 2.50 ticket that day and I did get onto the park.

I even had a piece of turf in a sealed bag for months.:D

kathmandu
23-08-2010, 19:21
Remember it well. listened to the game on the tranny in pub. Was a wee bit more special back then with no footie on telly. Everyone stood with their eyes glued to the radio:D

numanloyal
23-08-2010, 19:28
I was there with my bed sheet Rangers league champions 1986/87 still got it in a box somewhere,in my dads house.Numan Loyal has a great tale about that day.

indeed, went up there on the train, bought a programme outside the ground as i thought history was in the making that day,

went to the turnstyle with the rest of the lads and couldnt believe ma ticket had gone,

amid shouts of "you daft b****** etc from the lads , " I RE-TRACED MY STEPS IN DUE AND ANCIENT FORM" and found the ticket lying upside down in the gutter where i had bought the match programme, with 10,000 bears hunting for tickets that was an excellent piece of luck.:)

i was the luckiest bluenose in Aberdeen that day and we won the league to round it off:D

unforgettable

dh1963
23-08-2010, 19:30
3 tickets for the Aberdeen section (which was the bit Rangers get these days) cost me face value plus a bottle of malt whisky for a mate's dad who stayed up in Aberdeen.

Remember worrying about how the sheep round about us would react if we scored so going without my scarf or any colours on. Then realising there were about 20,000 of us in the ground and another 10,000 outside.

Unforgettable day, in one of my all-time favourite seasons.

BoltonJulie
23-08-2010, 19:47
First trip to Pittodrie, right up the back of the Beach End - INCREDIBLE

Cardee
23-08-2010, 19:48
12 years old, growing up in Penilee. Final whistle goes, myself, a couple of mates and my brother who was only weeks away from turning 8 jumping about the streets going mental.

One of the first people I see is my tarrier supporting Uncle, I started giving it the big licks. He started laughing.

He told me in later years that seeing the smile on my face, after going years watching us struggle to get results against teams like St Mirren to becoming champions was almost worth losing the league.

A brilliant day, up until a May afternoon in 2005, my favourite moment supporting The Rangers.

Jersey
23-08-2010, 20:41

I didn't realise Gordon Marshall was in goal for Falkirk for this game!!!! :D

Walkers Loyal
23-08-2010, 20:58

Being up at Pittodrie for our game that day I've never seen the video of the Falkirk win at the piggery. Thanks for posting that :)
Watching that video, considering the mankies were going into that game still with a hope of winning the league (if they'd beaten Falkirk and we'd lost to Aberdeen it was very much game on) it was a truly awful turn out for their game. There couldn't have been more than 20,000 at the game. We had more inside and locked outside Pittodrie that day. GFITW my erse! :roll:

steven13
23-08-2010, 21:06
Great memories thanks for posting this mate

Brodiethebear
23-08-2010, 21:47
14 years old at the time.

Never seen so many grown men in tears in my life.

Pieces of turf on the parcel shelf, my dad crashed on the way home, we were dancing on the hard shoulder not caring.

Great memories! Only thing than comes close to that day was 9IAR at Tannadice.

Boumsong
23-08-2010, 21:52
I was there that day, here are the goals Super Ally Golden Boot Goals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tFeGBG3mBg)

the beach end was superb that day

Cheers for posting mate, first time i've seen them since that day.

sirdrinksalot
23-08-2010, 22:06
It was a memorable day, aside from Helicopter Sunday this was my favourite ever title win, I remember as a youngster listening to the radio, being very nervous and ecstatic when the whistle blew, what a party we had in my auntie and uncles that night.

A truly wonderful day, 1 of the best in our history.

dylanholly
23-08-2010, 22:24
Went through my Orange Lodge the night before. I was totally ****ed up on the Saturday. I had waited so many miserable years to see the Gers win the league at last. My ma never woke me up and was disgusted by my appearance!! I knew I missed the supporters bus to Aberdeen, but still ****ed off out the house and tried to catch a later bus from Buchanan Street. I fell asleep in the station. Had to go home and sleep / sober up and ended up meeting my mates up the toon in The Viva.
I was gutted I didn't make it but becoming an Orangeman that weekend softened the blow (pardon the pun!!):)

britain
02-05-2012, 06:29
It was, unbelievably, 25 Years ago today we did it . My Goodness where has the time gone.

Valley Bluenose
02-05-2012, 07:18
Sat in the car in the Car Park at Lanark Loch with my wee cousin, listening on the car radio. Went mental, had a wee cry - usual stuff!

What a day.

graemeinnes
02-05-2012, 12:57
Thats total quality

adamski
02-05-2012, 12:58
It was, unbelievably, 25 Years ago today we did it . My Goodness where has the time gone.

Christ.

25 years ago, the rebirth of the club complete. Yet today, here we are staring death in the face.

Surbiton Blue
02-05-2012, 13:25
It was my 20th birthday that day. Travelled up in the car with my Dad, my cousin and my mate. All of us somewhat hungover as my sister had got married the previous day.
At the end of the game, I bolted onto the park, closely followed by my cousin and my mate. I got a bit of turf and a bit of a seat from the South Stand. I didn't see my Dad until we got back to the car.
Straight back to Glasgow and got drunk again, then got drunk again on the Sunday night in my local and got thrown out and barred for singing too many party songs.
Great days..... :D

oranjeboy
02-05-2012, 13:26
Christ.

25 years ago, the rebirth of the club complete. Yet today, here we are staring death in the face.

been thinking about this milestone date for a while now and been thinking the exact same

PRW
02-05-2012, 13:36
not pleasant

Old enough to remember winning the title at Pittodrie but didn't start going until 88/89 season.

Always remember dreading United back then for some reson.

billymcg
02-05-2012, 14:32
Worked and lived in Aberdeen at the time from 82-89, only bluenose in my work at a time when they were gubbin us regularly in the pre-Souness years. The low for me in that era was Ian Durrant's injury - girlfriend and I had tickets in the sheep-end opposite the beach end that day and got turfed out at half-time. The high for me was not 86 as that was just a matter of time, it was a couple or so years earlier on big Jock's return game when they did us 4-1. We did not give a toss, the jungle fighter was back and we sang our hearts out the whole game. We had the beach end that day and at FT when teams went off, Mcleish came up and recognised the support with a hand clap, we were still bouncing. In 86, I remember the game well, but not the night, one of those Sunday morning "***h" last night moments.

Grant K
02-05-2012, 14:38
Was this the night that St Patricks played Athlone Town preventing TV coverage?

Masonfritz
02-05-2012, 14:43
I was there in the old beach end bouncing on the benches, fantastic atmosphere...and yes I was on the pitch at full time.

campsie
02-05-2012, 14:44
I was gutted i wasn't there.

We were parading the rapploch that day and the tims were everywhere, they were going mental as the scores were filtering thru, saw the highlights in the red lion in tillicoutry im sure it was. First game i'd missed all season, young and stupid, shoulda went to the game.

TangledUpInBlue
02-05-2012, 14:49
so strange to relive this. Can you imagine the blame on the sending off if we had lost the league - shades of John Terry in Barca! it is never so bad if you win in the end. I'd never thought of this for a long time, GS must've been sent off in the first and last game that league season.

"Hello hello" was always a helluva song....

PS Septic bottling a game with something on it. Quelle Surprise!

britain
03-05-2012, 06:45
Christ.

Aye I know mate...

britain
03-05-2012, 06:45
Was this the night that St Patricks played Athlone Town preventing TV coverage?

Nope 3pm kick off as usual .

G_C
03-05-2012, 07:16
In behind the goal at the Aberdeen end and a boy opened a bottle of champagne (F1 style) as the Celtc result came through. Police grabbed him but only confiscated the bottle and let him back in! I jumped onto the park and ran the full length to get up to the Rangers end at the final whistle. What a day!

SHERRY
03-05-2012, 07:39
What a day.
Bus from Cumbernauld was chocca,so the driver was squared up.
Naebody thought he would drink his bonus.
Thought we were gonna die on the way home.
Great memories.

TAMLEBAM
03-05-2012, 07:53
I was living in Herne Bay in Kent then and had managed to get a spot for my tranny (radio that is) on top of the kitchen cupboards where I could pick up Radio Scotland if the weather wasn't too sunny. That day the signal kept coming and going as it was not very cloudy, so for short periods of time which seemed like ages I hadn't a clue what was happening. That was when I realised how few times on the radio they actually give you the score.
My wife had a wee Saturday job and I was making the tea and I remember trying to slice tomatoes and there was more blood than juice on the plate as my hands were shaking that much in the final 10 minutes or so.
The final whistle blew and I am on the phone to my Dad, Brother 'Gers mate in Herne Bay and they were all engaged. It turned out we were all trying to phone each other, what a great feeling from 5pm onwards.
That night went down to the Royal Oak which was run by a Chelsea fan and got absolutely blootered. The last thing I remember is wandering back up the road singing Follow Follow.

GodStruth
03-05-2012, 08:07
What a day

Up from Cumbernauld - arrived in Aberdeen abou 10.30 - found a crackin wee pub/strip club down at the docks - fantastic show, culminating in the girl rubbing her lady parts with one of the many Rangers scarves thrown onto the stage :)

Off to the match - superb result - ended up on the park (like most of the beach end) and was amongst the throng who carried the goalposts away (I dont know where we thought they were going btw :eek: :D). Guys cutting off bits of the net with penknives etc :D

Back on the bus to go home and one lucky bassa had Ian Durrants right boot - Puma special.

I would be surprised if he doesnt have it on a mantelpiece at home now

Popbear
03-05-2012, 08:13

:):):clap::clap::clap::barscarf:

Superb

gordmar
03-05-2012, 09:52
One of the best days ever,we were in the old paddock with the sheep,when Butcher scored the place erupted.:D

I was also in there. Was a bit worried about wearing my scarf, but when we got inside, the place was full of bears.
I picked up my tickets from Willie Miller's pub in Aberdeen, (The Tappit Hen, I think it was called).
A friend of mine was a rep for Grouse whisky, and knew Miller quite well. We couldn't get tickets down here, but my friend arranged for Miller to leave them in his pub for us.
A fantastic day, never to be forgotten.

lenzietrueblues
03-05-2012, 09:58
went on the kirky rangers bus and embaressed to say got caught up in the day and invaded the park, i met my mate who was in the aberdeen end at the centre circle and we helped 2 guys carry an advertising hoarding they where stealing over the old wooden seats in the beach end

BODiE
03-05-2012, 09:59
Ceefax all day & Sportscene at 10:30pm is how I lived that day, Loved it

bluestar
03-05-2012, 10:17
what was the possible outcome this day...

if we got beat?
if celtic draw?
or won?

britain
04-05-2012, 06:46

if we got beat?
if celtic draw?
or won?

It was a bit unexpected to be honest as we hadn't won at Pittodrie since Sept 82.

Celtc were expected to beat Falkirk and easily .

It was great when news came through of Falkirks result.

Lindsay Robertson
04-05-2012, 08:14
In the very back row of the old Beech end so must have been one of the few who were not on the park. Great jouurney home remember the team bus passing us which was absolutely bouncing with players in mega celebration mode.

Thing that srikes me about the commentry though is a similar pitch invasion and damage to goalposts now would be front page news and loads of negative publicity. This was probably just before the way the club is painted and portrayed in the media began to change.

Wee Nell
04-05-2012, 08:42
There was agood documentary broadcast the following day on Stv called the "Rangers Revival".

Some great interviews with Souness and David Holmes.

Rod the Prod
04-05-2012, 08:54

if we got beat?
if celtic draw?
or won?

I think we were 2 points clear before the kick off (2 points for a win those days). Our draw and the filth home defeat meant we were 3 clear with a game still to play so we could not be caught.

Wee Nell
04-05-2012, 09:00
just watched the original Sportscene programme, Archie MacPherson looks as pleased as punch. Some great interviews after the game with Souness,Butcher and David Holmes.

two_n_six
04-05-2012, 09:35
Remember that day well. We travelled up and I had booked the bus into the old Banks o Dee social club as was our normal stop in those days. Quite a few of our guys never had a ticket for the game and a few locals arrived with 2 tickets for the home end. They were trying to punt them for 50 which was very expensive at the time and no-one took them up on it. Eventualy after a few more pints I went up them and said right lets see the tickets I want to check they are genuine. He handed me the tickets and I stuffed a fiver in his hand and told him that was all he was getting. The place erupted with fists and glasses flying even our driver the legend that is Jock Lamond got involved. Once everything calmed down the Bears had the tickets and the sheep had a fiver.
We thought we'd get banned from the club but I got a nice letter of apology from the Banks o Dee the following week apologising for their members trying to rip us off:D:D
The story is legendary among our members and although we had a great day at the game for some reason this was the part that sticks in my memory the most.

cairngorm
04-05-2012, 09:53
I was there, 26 and in my prime. What a time to be a Rangers fan, loved the David Holmes interview on Sportscene that night.

britain
04-05-2012, 12:59
The sheer utter joy when the final whistle went. :)

The wilderness years of 1980-86 were over:):)

I must have spend an absolute fortune on the papers on Sunday, Monday and all the next week:D:o:D

erskineayready
04-05-2012, 13:30
"sooooooooooo~nessss soooooooo~nesss:)

Strickland Banks
04-05-2012, 13:36
I was there, 10 years old, with my Dad and my Uncle, could only get tickets in the Sheep end...

That day will live with me forever.

I also remember having dinner in Aberdeen after the game to let teh traffic die down, and then passing the team bus around Dundee, and waving to all the players.

The only time my dad ever let me have my scarfe hang out of the window for the whole journey!

Pavarotti
04-05-2012, 13:50
It took me 3 attempts to get on the pitch :o

three times when i was about to jump onto the wall i got a push in the back which resulted in me in laying across the wall, and when i did eventually get on all my mates had disappeared so i just ran aboot the park shouting and singing like a looney. :D

Ah the good old days.

southsideblueblood
04-05-2012, 13:57
I was working in Shawlands co-op that day. we put the game on the tannoy across the store (less corporate in those days). Remember doing a celebration kneeslide down the soap powder ailse and then i was pissed in maxwells after my shift and off to the ultratheque. happy days!

truebluerfc
04-05-2012, 14:08
Was a bad boy in them days and was three months into a one year sentence at the time. Remember listening to this from my wee cell in E-hall........Fantastic memories :):)

westl
04-05-2012, 19:04
I went to every game back then ,was ill from midweek and missed match ,ill in bed didn t know whether to laugh or cry.Still got ticket somewhere .Unknown to me my old dear had written to Souness and i got a letter back from him consolidating with me for missing the game ,good memories

MMM1285
04-05-2012, 19:16
I was there that day ...... strangely enough the commentator said "the rain had started" ...... I don't remember it raining !!

smid7
04-05-2012, 19:17
What a day ! Was 15 then and the atmosphere was amazing, got in without
a ticket. The stampede in the Beach End to get on the park was mental.

le bluebear
04-05-2012, 19:20
An incredible day of emotion.

I was 22 and remember every single second.

Super Ally was just about stripped bare, :D

I remember him being above everyone's heads in the middle of Pittodrie in tears shouting '' I love yous all, i love yous all''.

:D