PDA

View Full Version : Serie A 2010 - 2011. (Official Thread)

Pages : [1] 2 3

carino
27-07-2010, 17:05
The Supercoppa Italia Final between Inter and Roma will kick off the 2010 - 2011 season at the San Siro on Saturday 21 August with a 2045 ( CET ) start. The game will be played to a finish with extra time and penalties if required.

Prior to the release of the 2010 - 2011 Serie A fixture list tomorrow La Lega has announced mid-week dates and details of the winter break:

The season will start on 29 August and end on 22 May 2011.

There will be midweek games on 22 September, 10 November, 6 January ( Epiphany holiday ) and 2 February.

There will be no games on 5 September, 10 October and 27 March ( Euro 2012 qualifying internationals ).

There will be no games on 26 December or on 2 January ( Christmas break ).

KO times have been confirmed and will now be: Saturday - 1800 and 1930 and Sunday - 1230, 1500 and 2045 ( all CET ). There will also be five Monday night games in the course of the season with KO time to be established.

For reasons of security there will be no midweek evening games between Inter, Juventus, Milan, Napoli or Roma.

For the same reason the Milan, Rome and Genoa derbies will not be played on midweek evenings.

Teams involved in Europe will be permitted to play on a Friday evening if required. Some Coppa Italia games will also be played on Friday evenings.

The preliminary rounds of the round of the Coppa Italia will start on 8 August with the final being played on Sunday 29 May 2011 or Saturday 5 June 2011.

On the broadcast front Director of Rai Sport Eugenio De Paoli has already introduced controversy by implementing a major change to the way the state broadcaster covers calcio.

The controversial 'Moviola' is to be dropped from its evening Domenica Sportivo, Stadio Sprint and 90 Minuti programmes - so no more in depth examination of referee decisions by studio pundits aided by super slo-mo and multi camera angles.

The decision has been welcomed by UEFA referee commissioner and former ref Pierluigi Collina but for fans and journalists the jury is out on the matter.

Berlusconi's Mediaset and Murdoch's SKy Italia will however continue in-depth analysis via slo-mo on satellite and DTT respectively.

El Guaje
27-07-2010, 17:51
Can we assume that ESPN will be picking up the Friday night games?

osodelpueblo
27-07-2010, 17:51
Is there any channels in the UK covering it this year ?

TheBattleFever
27-07-2010, 17:54
Has anyone got a link for the transfers that have happened so far?

lone_ranger
27-07-2010, 17:55
What time are the fixtures expected to be announced?

carino
27-07-2010, 18:00
Has anyone got a link for the transfers that have happened so far?There you go.

MERCATO WEB (http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/?action=page&n=calciomercato)

Or click a club name here:

GAZZETTA DELLO SPORT (http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Calciomercato/calciomercato_speciale.shtml)

TheBattleFever
27-07-2010, 18:04
There you go.

MERCATO WEB (http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/?action=page&n=calciomercato)

Or click a club name here:

GAZZETTA DELLO SPORT (http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Calciomercato/calciomercato_speciale.shtml)

Cheers mate

I'm going to make a bold prediction that Roma will win the Scudetto this year. It would be good to see Samp improve on last year, they are my Italian team now that I have turned my back on Fiorentina (guess why :D)

carino
27-07-2010, 18:05
What time are the fixtures expected to be announced?
The fixtures will be released at 2030 tomorrow in the Palazzo Mezzanotte at the Palazzo degli Affari in Milan.

There will be live TV coverage on Sky Italia.

carino
28-07-2010, 16:30
http://i28.tinypic.com/728ztg.jpg

Tomorrow night Juventus find themselves in Dublin to face Shamrock Rovers in the third qualifying round of the Europa League.

Juve manager Luigi Del Neri has concerns over the availability of central defender Nicola Legrotaglie who has flu and the fact the game has come so early. If Legrotaglie is unfit twenty-three year old twice capped Leonardo Bonucci will take his place.

It is a must win for Juventus who need a prolonged stay in the competition.

Tuttosport highlights a Shamrock weakness in defence where they have conceded 17 goals in their last 10 games.

Their European record is not much better as in their last ten home games they have only once managed a clean sheet.

Juventus to win and be comfortable for their home leg on 5 August.

Forza Juve e buona fortuna.

http://i46.tinypic.com/15s992r.jpghttp://i50.tinypic.com/28akv39.gif

lone_ranger
28-07-2010, 17:45
The fixtures will be released at 2030 tomorrow in the Palazzo Mezzanotte at the Palazzo degli Affari in Milan.

There will be live TV coverage on Sky Italia.

Thanks for that, I'll check back tonight. :cool:

miltonbear
28-07-2010, 18:26
Carino...What chances are the Italian press giving Inter this year giving that Jose has left.?

rosstheger
28-07-2010, 18:29
http://images.gazzetta.it/Media/Foto/2009/01/09/2338650--346x212.jpg

Forza Samp!

klos
28-07-2010, 19:30
http://images.gazzetta.it/Media/Foto/2009/01/09/2338650--346x212.jpg

Forza Samp!

I agree ;):)

Caniggia7
28-07-2010, 20:29
Fiorentina-Napoli, Bologna-Inter, Bari-Juventus, Roma-Cesena and Milan-Lecce are among the Week 1 games in Serie A on the weekend of August 28-29.
The fixtures for the 2010-11 season were drawn up this evening and it was the first since Serie A broke away from the Lega Calcio to form their own organisation.

New Juventus boss Gigi Del Neri faced his former Sampdoria players in the second round on September 12.

Roma-Inter will be the star game of Week 5 on September 26, followed immediately by a Champions League tie and then Inter-Juventus in Week 6.

Milan-Juventus is in Week 9 on the weekend of Halloween, October 31, at San Siro, while Napoli-Palermo is in Week 15 with Edinson Cavani facing his former club.

There will be rest weekends on September 5, October 10 and March 27, plus midweek rounds on Wednesday September 22, Wednesday November 10, Thursday January 6 and Wednesday February 2.

The Christmas break lasts from December 19 to January 6.

The draw was held at Palazzo Mezzanotte in Milan under the guidance of Lega President Maurizio Beretta.

However, FIGC President Giancarlo Abete was not invited “as a sign of protest against the limit on non-EU players. We wanted to highlight that for us this matter is not over.”

The full draw is to follow.

Week 1
29/8/10
Bari-Juventus
Bologna-Inter
Chievo-Catania
Fiorentina-Napoli
Milan-Lecce
Palermo-Cagliari
Parma-Brescia
Roma-Cesena
Sampdoria-Lazio
Udinese-Genoa

Earl of Leven
28-07-2010, 20:35
Fiorentina v Napoli leaps out.....as does Samp v Lazio.

I hope Roma, Samp and Napoli dominate....I like all three.

carino
28-07-2010, 21:18
SERIE A do a nice line in signora presenter for the computerised fixture list draw.

http://i32.tinypic.com/9tdh6t.jpg

SERIE A FIXTURES 2010 - 2011

http://i30.tinypic.com/3466gy0.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/dfzml0.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/fduc28.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/f5934x.jpg

carino
28-07-2010, 21:33
Carino...What chances are the Italian press giving Inter this year giving that Jose has left.?Most of the media, including those who matter, acknowledge Inter are favourites.

And not only the press - today on TV Juve's Alex Del Piero and Milan's Gianluca Zambrotta said exactly the same adding of course they hoped to upset the odds.

rosstheger
28-07-2010, 21:45
Has the Sampdoria top been released yet?

I can't seem to get it on the Sampdoria Store.

carino
30-07-2010, 09:38
Ronaldinho will miss the Emirates tournament due to a thigh strain - he is likely to be out for a week.

Ronaldinho's agent, his brother Roberto De Assis, has announced Ronaldinho is ready to prolong his contract with Milan till 2014. Under the deal, funded by Sheik Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum and Emirates Airlines, Ronaldinho will earn between €5 - 6 million per annum and will undertake duties endorsing Emirate Airlines. The revised salary represents a drop in earnings of circa €2 - 3 million per annum.

Juventus favourites to sign Argentinean Nicolas Burdisso from Inter after Roma decided he was too expensive to make the loan deal permanent.

Napoli's ambitious owner film director / producer Aurleio De Laurentis has asked his players not to book Christmas holidays involving long flights to Argentina or elsewhere. Instead he will invite them to a luxurious destination at his expense for the break.

Two goals from Amauri, one in each half, were enough to see Juventus comfortable in their Europa League tie against Shamrock Rovers.

In an interview with Sky Italia Samuel Eto'o expressed the hope Rafael Benitez will not play him wide on the right as Mourinho did.

Despite having confirmed Rino Gattuso has had along conversation with new manager Allegri and will remain at Milanello Milan are reported to be closing in on Sampdoria's Angelo Palombo ( good signing IMO ).

Inter striker Diego Milito has told the Inter Channel last season is now only a pleasant memory and he wants to do the same again this year.

The Marco Balotelli move to Manchester has stalled over demands from his representatives for a commission payment of €800,000.

ANSA is reporting the Mascherano to Inter soap opera is a long way from concluding due to Liverpool's evaluation of the player being much greater than that of Massimo Moratti and the Inter owner has in recent days stressed hide his admiration for Bayern Munich's Bastian Schweisteiger.

Earl of Leven
30-07-2010, 09:44
Paying £21m for Mascherano would be mental.

Jelle1880
30-07-2010, 09:48
I think Napoli could very well finish in the top 5 this season.

El Guaje
30-07-2010, 09:50
Sampdoria captain Angelo Palombo is the latest central midfielder to be associated with Milan.

The Rossoneri are thought to be looking for a new option in the middle of the park and Palombo has been linked.

Palombo, part of Italy’s disastrous 2010 World Cup campaign, won’t be an easy target to tempt away from Marassi.

Doria see the former Fiorentina player as a key man and warned Juventus earlier this summer that he wouldn’t be sold.

Milan, who claimed on Wednesday that their market manoeuvres have basically come to an end this summer, have been paired with numerous names in recent weeks.

Fiorentina’s Marco Donadel, Manuele Blasi of Napoli and Real Madrid’s Mahamadou Diarra are all understood to be players who the club have been monitoring.

Your manager and your captain jumping ship EOL? :cool:

Earl of Leven
30-07-2010, 09:58
Samp are built on solid ground.

We will see the derby of the lanterns...we will see.

1690owl
30-07-2010, 16:32
genoa!!! with eduardo, toni, bring on samp!!

Kiery
30-07-2010, 16:58
Looks like the deal to take Miguel Veloso to Genoa is almost completed.

Veloso arrived in Italy today.

This is part of the part exchange deal that see's Alberto Zapater going to Sporting Lisbon.

I am disappointed that Veloso is going to Italy tbh. I have always thought that Arsenal were the ideal club for him and if not them one of the better teams in La Liga, Atletico, Sevilla or the like.

Great passer of the ball and reads the game fantastically well IMO.

..Obi-Wan..
30-07-2010, 16:59
Forza Roma

Juve Ti odio

:)

TheBattleFever
30-07-2010, 19:34
Calgiari have put Federico Marchetti up for sale, Arsenal are said to be interested.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2010/07/27/2043885/cagliari-put-italy-goalkeeper-federico-marchetti-up-for-sale

carino
03-08-2010, 10:57
Roberto Baggio is to replace Azeglio Vicini as president of the FIGC's technical section based at Coverciano in Tuscany.

In a wide ranging interview with Gazzetta dello Sport Samuel Eto'o who has been known to Rafael Benitez since he was seventeen has reiterated his desire to play further forward and more centrally this season. He also bravely, perhaps foolishly, confirmed he would be unhappy if he did not score twenty five goals in all competitions this season!

Asked about being recently reunited with his Bentley motor which was stolen in Milan's Porto Romano district when he loaned it to team mate Marko Arnautovic he replied it might be safer to lend it to the police. Aranautovic has now returned to Twente FC after his loan deal.

At a friendly against Wolfsburg tonight ( live on Sky Calcio 1 ) ambitious Napoli owner Aurelio DeLaurentis will welcome tifosi to the revamped San Paolo ( lowered technical areas and new turf ), launch the club's new home strip and introduce new signing twenty-three year old Uruguayan Edinson Cavani who joined the club from Palermo.

Tomorrow in Toronto Inter face Panathinaikos in a friendly which will be covered live by Sky Calcio 1 with a 0200 ( CET ) kick off.

Inter's technical area director Marco Branca is a busy man these days as the tortuous Balotelli to Manchester City saga continues with City representatives expected in Milan this morning. Adding to his workload are negotiations with Juan Vargos' agent who is due in Milan this evening to discuss the player's potential move from Fiorentina.

There are suggestions that Giuseppe Sculli may be about to follw ex-team mates Diego Milito and Thiago Mottas from Genoa to Inter.

The annual Telecom Italia Trophy will be played this year at the San Nicola Stadium in Bari. The tournament played between Inter, Juventus and Milan will see three recently arrived managers, Rafael Benitez, Luigi Del Neri and Massimiliano Allegri, in the technical areas.

National team manager Cesare Prandelli has confirmed Gianluigi Buffon as Azzurri captain and if he is unavailable Andrea Pirlo will deputise. Prandelli also told Gazzetta dello Sport Rino Gattuso will be in the squad for the friendly with Ivory Coast at Upton Park London on 10 August. Indications are that Mario Balotelli and Antonio will also feature in the squad eventually but whether they will do so on 10 August is still unclear.

carino
05-08-2010, 10:53
In an attempt to address the shortcomings which led to the Azzurri's abysmal performance at South Africa 2010 the FIGC has opted for two more' big names' following the nomination of Roberto Baggio as president of their technical section.

Gianni Rivera will be president of coaching schools and Arrigo Sacchi national co-ordinator of youth and Under age National sides.

All are illustrious names but given the performance of the Azzurri in South Africa they have a huge task ahead of them.

Police had to intervene in a pre-match punch up between fans of Pisa, Viterbese and Hinterregio. The violence occurred outside the Acquaviva di Montelpulciano stadium where a three way tournament between the Serie D sides was being played - knives, baseball bats and knuckle dusters were confiscated by the police after the fracas. Twenty-five fans were hospitalised.

Former Milan ace Ricky Kaka has had bad luck since leaving Milanello. A groin injury frequently kept him out of the Madrid side last season and he has now left Real's USA tour to possibly undergo micro-surgery in Belgium on a damaged knee cartilage.

A cruciate ligament injury to Stefan Jovetic sustained in training has delivered a serious blow to Fiorentina. The damage could keep the exciting young Montenegro player out of action for up to seven months. Fiorentina manager Sinisa Mihajlovic may have to return to the transfer market to find a replacement.

Earl of Leven
05-08-2010, 10:55
Carino

Rumours in Madrid suggest Mourinho wants to sell Kaka as he is more interested in his missionary work and is not keeping himself fit enough.....thoughts? I doubt he ever wanted to leave Milan and is not settled at all in Madrid. Man City maybe?

carino
05-08-2010, 11:15
Carino

Rumours in Madrid suggest Mourinho wants to sell Kaka as he is more interested in his missionary work and is not keeping himself fit enough.....thoughts? I doubt he ever wanted to leave Milan and is not settled at all in Madrid. Man City maybe?
Dunno about the rumours but Ricky Kaka has been struggling for full fitness due to groin trouble since he left Milanello. I suspect he may be missing the surroundings where he had his greatest success but given he missed much of his last season at Milan through injury a return might not be such a good idea.

Mourinho's latest words on the subject are reported thus in Gazzetta dello Sport:

“E' un giocatore molto amato dai compagni, e anche un ottimo giocatore. Ma lo vogliamo al cento per cento. Se dovrà stare fuori per un periodo non sarà un dramma, lui è uno dei migliori del mondo ma sapremo sostituirlo con altri giocatori".

"He is a player much loved by his team mates, and is also a great player. But we need him to be one hundred per cent. If he has to stay out for a period it will not be a drama, he is one of the best in the world but we know how to replace him with other players".

Hardly the warmest endorsement.

BoycerBlue
05-08-2010, 11:19
As a lazio fan I'm looking forward to another dismal season. 1 good signing in garrido and yet again re-signing former players, cribari and zauri. Here's hoping for a win in the derby this year though.

Gaizka Mendieta
05-08-2010, 11:22
As a lazio fan I'm looking forward to another dismal season. 1 good signing in garrido and yet again re-signing former players, cribari and zauri. Here's hoping for a win in the derby this year though.

Hernanes from Sao Paulo could be signing up very shortly at Lazio, keep your eye out...

BoycerBlue
05-08-2010, 13:19
Hernanes from Sao Paulo could be signing up very shortly at Lazio, keep your eye out...

Will do bud, But in all honesty lazio are still a very poor side although I don't like to admit it. I fear another season hovering above the relegation zone and Roma winning the league :eek:

Earl of Leven
05-08-2010, 13:22
Boycer

Any news re new stadiums? Roma and Lazio were talking about leaving the Olympico.

BoycerBlue
05-08-2010, 14:08
Nothing yet from the lazio side of things apart from initial enquiries and artist's impressions, Don't know about roma but I believe the roma board and lotito are intent on getting their own stadia.

Here's a few from the aquille. Its only going to hold 40,000 if it does go through

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/BoycerBlue/aquille3.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/BoycerBlue/aquille2.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/BoycerBlue/aquille1.jpg

This stadium has been talked about for a good 4 years so don't see anything happening soon

edit: Forgot to mention there was also talk of lazio moving to the rugby ground and renovating the stadium. lazio used to use the ground when the fascist regime was in power in Italy.

carino
06-08-2010, 17:53
Amauri and Mario Balotelli are among the players Cesare Prandelli has announced in the Azzurri squad to meet Ivory Coast at Upton Park on Tuesday.

Antonio Cassano who did not feature under Marcello Lippi also makes a return.

In the absence of the injured captain and vice-captain, Gianluigi Buffon and Andrea Pirlo Daniel De Rossi will captain the squad.

The twenty-three for London are:

Marchetti (Cagliari), Sirigu (Palermo), Viviano (Bologna).

Antonini (Milan), Astori (Cagliari), Bonucci (Juventus), Cassani (Palermo), Chiellini (Juventus), Lucchini (Sampdoria), Molinaro (Stoccarda), Motta (Juventus).

De Rossi (Roma), Lazzari (Cagliari), Marchisio (Juventus), Montolivo (Fiorentina), Palombo (Sampdoria), Pepe (Juventus).

Amauri (Juventus), Balotelli (Inter), Borriello (Milan), Cassano (Sampdoria), Quagliarella (Napoli), Rossi (Villarreal).

making_a_stand
10-08-2010, 12:57
I'm looking at going to Milan on the weekend of the 3rd of August which coincides with Derby d'Italia.

What are the chances of a tourist getting a ticket what with all the new security measures etc?

I see that the attendance at last seasons fixture was 50,000 which leaves a good 30,00 free seats.

Bonkle Bear
10-08-2010, 13:00
Cassano has been named as Italy's new number 10 and not before time.

Kiery
10-08-2010, 13:03
Rafa honigstein saying that there are reports in Germany and Italy that Diego with moving to Wolfsburg for €16m

Earl of Leven
10-08-2010, 13:12
Rafa honigstein saying that there are reports in Germany and Italy that Diego with moving to Wolfsburg for €16m

HSV were rumoured to be interested as well.....apparently hasn't settled and wants to live in Germany again.

Bonkle Bear
10-08-2010, 13:16
The Juve GM said a few days ago they have no intention of selling him with Giovinco being shipped out.

Only way I can see it happening is if Dzeko is part of the deal.

TheBattleFever
10-08-2010, 17:37
Milos Krasic being linked again with Juventus, I think this will definitely happen before the window closes.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3276/serie-a/2010/08/10/2063787/cska-moscow-winger-milos-krasic-has-not-agreed-personal

thepower
10-08-2010, 17:38
Any chance of someone posting up all the transfer activity from Italy so far?

TheBattleFever
12-08-2010, 23:44
Some gossip from Italy

Thursday 12 August
Gazzetta dello Sport
Eurohunt for Inter
Barca and Mourinho’s Real reinforce on the market
Then Chelsea and Muller’s Bayern
The Champions League trophy earned the Nerazzurri €49m
Bonucci: ‘Juve, I’m hungry!’
Meanwhile Diego is on the verge of Wolfsburg move
Milan rediscover super Pato in Brazil
Balotelli-City, the price-tag falls to €28m
Prandelli thinking of Pirlo
Gerrard saves Capello
Trap under the knife

Corriere dello Sport
Inter, Juve and Milan: All for Ledesma
Lazio try to keep hold of the midfielder
Balotelli turns 20, the youngest winner in history
FIGC wants top clubs’ reserve teams to play in Serie B
Cagliari have Acquafresca
Genoa also grab Dos Santos
Zamparini: ‘Lotito, the sun goes to your head’
Incredible, another phantom goal against England!
Fear for Trapattoni, but he’s now fine after surgery
Roma don’t impress, but Burdisso Jr does

Tuttosport
‘Dzeko: ‘I’m a prisoner’
‘Enough of Wolfsburg, I want Juve. The Germans didn’t keep their promises’
Schalke step up their own offer for Diego
City-Balotelli, it’s time as Inter take Sculli
Milan, Allegri’s last gift: Robinho, Luis Fabiano or Podolski
Pasquato changes Italy in Under-21 draw
Trap goes under the knife
Fiorentina lose Ljajic to injury as well

TheBattleFever
12-08-2010, 23:44
Any chance of someone posting up all the transfer activity from Italy so far?

Here you go...

http://www.football-italia.net/transfers.html

OnlyOneAmoruso
13-08-2010, 09:27

He's now signed for 10 million Euros.

Earl of Leven
13-08-2010, 09:44
Great signing for Lazio....looks like Juve want Dzeko and Krasic.

deekRFC
18-08-2010, 19:13
Just caught on the SSN ticker that Boateng (I assume Kevin Prince) has signed for Genoa but has been immediately loaned to Milan with the option of a permanent transfer.

Reasoning please :confused:

deekRFC
18-08-2010, 19:14
Apparently they are looking to make a quick buck, at least they are honest :D

TheBattleFever
18-08-2010, 19:29
Are Milan ever going to stop ****ing about and just sign a striker?

TheBattleFever
20-08-2010, 13:14
Looks like Krasic has finally got his move to Juventus

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hb1QL6HIcZHhaQaer73j5jK_EnIQ

Kiery
20-08-2010, 13:21
Corriere dello Sport reporting claiming that Juventus have agreed a loan deal with Liverpool for Aquilani.

Kiery
20-08-2010, 13:53
http://www.football-italia.net/aug20r.html

Sutton_Blows_g0ats
20-08-2010, 14:01
good move fior Liverpool getting rid of Aquilani, what a flop.

TheBattleFever
21-08-2010, 13:35
good move fior Liverpool getting rid of Aquilani, what a flop.

It could be argued that he is the biggest waste of money in the history of the EPL, honestly *** was Benitez thinking? :D

carino
29-08-2010, 12:11
Are Milan ever going to stop ****ing about and just sign a striker?Yes.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic moved from Barcelona last night on a one year free loan.

After the initial year Milan has the right to buy him for a further three years for a fee of €24 million paid in three tranches of €8 million.

Zlatan who is twenty-eight will be presented in San Siro tonight prior to Milan's game with Lecce and will formally sign after a medical on Monday.

http://i34.tinypic.com/xbliir.jpg

Earl of Leven
29-08-2010, 13:24
Roma had a poor night against Cesena.....0-0 not a great start. They faced a packed defence but didn't really do enough.

rosstheger
29-08-2010, 13:25
Arribra :D

carino
29-08-2010, 13:51
Bologna coach Franco Colomba did not attend the press conference for their Monday night game against Inter. Instead the club president Sergio Porcedda appeared and told the media Colomba had been sacked for disagreeing with club policy.

Porcedda would have like to appoint Leonardo as the replacement but the Brazilian has indicated he will take a year off. Favourites to succeed Colomba are Mario Beretta or Alberto Malesani.

Inter have not included UEFA defender of the year Maicon in the squad for Monday's fixture at the Valeri thus further fuelling the widely held opinion he is about to rejoin Mourinho in Madrid.

Earl of Leven
29-08-2010, 13:52
How much would Maicon fetch? Around 20m euros?

carino
29-08-2010, 13:52
Roma had a poor night against Cesena.....0-0 not a great start. They faced a packed defence but didn't really do enough.Did not see it but a superb result for Cesena.

If Roma are to do anythingserious in Serie A they can not afford to drop points at home.

Earl of Leven
29-08-2010, 13:54
Not against a team like that.

Have a wee feeling Juve might have a better season....maybe challenge Inter? They are turning a profit, reducing age of squad and have had a decent pre-season.

carino
29-08-2010, 13:57
How much would Maicon fetch? Around 20m euros?€25 million is being bandied around.

Depends on how badly Mourinho wants him and how difficult Moratti decides to be.

They may sell him to fund Kuyt - if Moratti and Marco Branca in a combined moment of madness agree to indulge the Benitez desire to sign the Dutchman. :D

OnlyOneAmoruso
29-08-2010, 13:57
I presume Ibra won't be making his Rossoneri debut today?

Earl of Leven
29-08-2010, 13:58
L'pool are right to ask for 22m euros for Mascherano and 20m euros for Kuyt...and other clubs would be quite right to start laughing and say '**** right off'.

Kuyt cost 10m euros and is effective.....but has his value doubled? I really doubt it.

OnlyOneAmoruso
29-08-2010, 14:00
I'd say it has. He had an excellent World Cup. Easily worth £20m for me.

Earl of Leven
29-08-2010, 14:02
I think he is efficient modern player but basically swapping Maicon for him is not a good deal in any way. For 20m euros you'd want more I think.

carino
29-08-2010, 15:41
I presume Ibra won't be making his Rossoneri debut today?
Correct.

Milan will probably start 4 - 3 - 3 with:

Abbiati; Papastathopoulos, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Antonini; Ambrosini, Pirlo, Seedorf; Pato, Borriello, Ronaldinho.

At Bari Juventus are likely to include €4.5 million loan signing Fabio Quagliarella in their starting line up. Juve have the right to make the deal permanent after a year for a further €10.5 million paid over three years.

They could kick off their Serie A challenge by lining up:

Storari; Motta, Bonucci, Chiellini, De Ceglie; Martinez, Felipe Melo, Marchisio, Pepe; Quagliarella, Del Piero.

El Guaje
29-08-2010, 15:45
I'd say it has. He had an excellent World Cup. Easily worth £20m for me.

You'd be off your nut to pay £20m for a guy who essentially is a hard worker and understands his role on the pitch. He's nowehere near the quality of Inter.

CertifiedWeissfanboy
29-08-2010, 16:23
You'd be off your nut to pay £20m for a guy who essentially is a hard worker and understands his role on the pitch. He's nowehere near the quality of Inter.

Every time i watch Kuyt for Holland he's excellent and plays like the sophisticated, technical striker he was at Feyenoord. For Liverpool he's the complete opposite, playing as this.. workhorse.

I reckon he's been bogged down there over the years. £20m is excessive though, when you consider he's 30.

rough and ready
29-08-2010, 17:46
carino,do you think that huntelaar will be away before the end of the window,seems like a waste of talent on the bench at milan.

Il Migliore
29-08-2010, 18:18
Bari are currently a goal up on Juve for those interested.

Il Migliore
29-08-2010, 19:07
F/T

Bari 1-0 Juve
M.Donati '43 :eek:

rosstheger
29-08-2010, 19:21
What will happen to the legend? :D

http://bestfootballers.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/p_filippo_inzaghi_2.jpg

WokinghamBear
29-08-2010, 19:22

While what you say is mostly correct, it is a wonder that Kuyt is consistently overlooked as Liverpool's key man at the expense of injury prone Torres and Gerrard.
Kuyt stays fit, plays most matches, scores important goals and sets up opportunities for others. If Benitez has any sense then he'll move heaven & earth to get Kuyt to Inter IMHO.

carino
29-08-2010, 19:31
carino,do you think that huntelaar will be away before the end of the window,seems like a waste of talent on the bench at milan.
Huntelaar is not in the squad this evening so if an acceptable offer is received I suspect he may go - even on loan somewhere.

Just finished is the game at Bari where a workmanlike performance from the hosts who are still a work in progress was enough to see off a disjointed Juventus who were frankly rank and disappointing. Luigi Del Neri has a massive task on his hands to make winners from the eleven who started this evening.

Star of the show for Bari was one Massimo Donati who scored a stunning twenty yard rocket which proved enough to win the game. Other Bari successes were the Argentinean regista Almiron and the Honduran Alvarez.

Milan vs. Lecce

Milan will unveil Zlatan Ibrahimovic during the interval of the Lecce fixture for which they will line up thus:

Abbiati; Bonera, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Antonini; Ambrosini, Pirlo, Seedorf; Ronaldinho, Borriello, Pato.

Opponents Lecce appear to want to close the back door and go with: Rosati; Vives, Donati, Sini , Giuliatto, Ferrario; Munari, Giacomazzi, Grossmuller; Mesbah; Corvia.

carino
30-08-2010, 10:15
Serie A - Sunday 29 August

http://i33.tinypic.com/4raoid.jpg

Goals by Pato (2) and Thiago Silva saw an effective Milan take a three goal half-time lead over an admittedly lacklustre Lecce. In the second half veteran Pippo Inzaghi at age thirty-seven scored his Serie A goal number 154 to make it 4 - 0.

Alexandre Pato's two first half goals took his Serie A total to thirty-eight in seventy eight outings - which for a twenty year old is a fair strike rate.

The co-owned former Portsmouth midfielder Kevin Prince Boateng made his San Siro debut for Milan when with fifteen minutes remaining he replaced the excellent Pato.

New signing Zlatan Ibrahimovic was welcomed to the San Siro by the tifosi at half-time. The arrival of Ibrahimovic on a free one year loan is quite a coup for Adriano Galliani given the Swedish striker cost Barcelona €50 million plus Samuel Eto'o one year back!

http://i36.tinypic.com/9a75mo.jpg

Hastily prepared Ultras thank you for president Berlusconi:

http://i36.tinypic.com/244xm5h.jpg

A strange sight - Zlatan in rossonero.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2vrzmnq.jpg

Welcome Ibra

Napoli travelled to Florence where they struggled to a 1 - 1 draw with Fiorentina thanks to a Cavani header which slo-mo subsequently confirmed did not cross the line. Fiorentina's Vargas ( straight red ) and Napoli's Blasi ( two yellows ) failed to finish the game. Napoli will have to improve if they are to better last season's sixth place finish as required by owner De Laurentis.

Antonio Cassano did little except net a penalty in Sampdoria's 2 - 0 home win over Lazio with midfielder Stefano Guberti getting the second. Samp struggled in the frist half but rectified matters with a much improved second half showing.

Parma had no difficulty in overcoming newly promoted Brescia at the Tardini with first half goals from Bojinov and Morrone.

In the transfer market Milan are reportedly ready to offload Klas-Jan Huntelaar to Shalke 04 for €12 million with Tottenham Hotspur also showing interest in the Dutchman.

After losing the Neapolitan Quagliarella to Juventus Napoli are likely to sign Ghokan Inler from Udinese. A fee of €15 million is being mentioned for the Swiss midfielder.

Following the reverse in Monaco against Atletico Madrid Inter manager Rafael Benitez told the Inter Channel he is confident owner Moratti will rectify some perceived shortcomings by adding to the squad. Inter travel to Bolgna tonight where, despite the poor form shown by out of sorts Diego Milito who missed a spot kick against Atletico, they should overcome the hosts who fired manager Franco Colomba last week.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2dsie82.jpg

Inter TV Channel has a tasty blonde presenter.
http://i33.tinypic.com/24azl9f.jpg

Inter Javier Zanetti accepts an award from supporters:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2v02639.jpg

Benitez masterminds training at Appiano Gentile:

El Guaje
30-08-2010, 10:16
Good result for Genoa

Earl of Leven
30-08-2010, 10:19
Juve suffering from my 'reverse Midas touch' - tipped for a good season by me....disaster waiting to happen!

TheBattleFever
31-08-2010, 17:09
Just days after signing Ibrahimovic, Milan have signed Robinho on a permanent deal. I quite fancy them now for the Scudetto tbh

Bonkle Bear
31-08-2010, 18:54
Just days after signing Ibrahimovic, Milan have signed Robinho on a permanent deal. I quite fancy them now for the Scudetto tbh

Despite not scoring Inter were impressive last night and they still look by far the best of the bunch. Milan still have a pretty weak midfield and defence.

I still think Ranieri will run them closest again. Good move for them getting Borriello on loan given Totti and Adriano's injury history.

carino
08-09-2010, 12:58
http://i52.tinypic.com/2pq758g.jpg

Back to normal for Serie A this weekend with fixtures on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon and evening.

Game of the day is possibly the Juventus v. Sampdoria encounter. Despite a revamp with ten new signings and the departure of Diego and Trezeguet Juventus struggled in their first outing when they lost to a Massimo Donati goal at Bari. Their general manager, the former Sampdoria AD Beppe Marrotta, has called for patience from the fans and judging by their first outing they are going to need plenty of it. They are still without the injured Buffon and Amauri.

Sampdoria easily disposed of a weak Lazio first time out and with Cassano, Palombo and Pazzini in great form they will provide a formidable challenge to the Old Lady even with her central Azzurri partnership of Bonucci and Chiellini. With Samp at full strength it should be interesting viewing in the old Communale at 1500 hrs on Sunday.

Another squad who had a disappointing start to their season are Roma who travel to Cagliari having been held to a draw by Cesena at the Olimpico on the opening day. Ranieri has Adriano, Baptista and Riise unfit but Totti, Vucinic, Perrotta, De Rossi, Pizarro and new loan signing from Milan, Borriello, must be desperate to make amends for the Cesena debacle. Cagliari despite being at home will set out to frustrate and it will not be a surprise if Bisoli's eleven manage that.

Napoli's rising star Hamsik and new Uruguyan arrival Cavani were fortunate to secure a draw at Fiorentina on opening day when a referee blunder awarded Cavani a goal when sl-mo subsequently proved the ball had not crossed the line - Fiorentina manager Sinisa Mihajlovic was not best pleased as he made clear on evening TV sports shows. Mazzarri's men were disappointing and did not meet the level of ambition shown by owner De Laurentis in the close season. Napoli will do well to hold Bari at the San Paolo on Sunday evening.

Interesting times at Milanello where Il Cavaliere Berlusconi has loosened the purse strings to permit Adriano Galliani to sign Ibrahimovic from Barcelona and Robinho from Chelsea. Both have been well received in the dressing room with Massimo Ambrosini and Clarence Seedorf expressing relief that reinforcements had arrived. Only the passage of time will determine the wisdom of the signings but it will be most interesting to see how new manager Allegri proposes to utilise Pato, Robinho, Ibrahimovic and Ronaldinho. Milan appear to have a surfeit of attacante but as Galliani explained on the club's TV Channel he does not want injury to impact on Milan's Serie A challenge this time round. He blamed injury to Pato for the late season slump which saw Milan go from credible title challengers to a disjointed outfit which struggled to qualify for direct Champions League participation - many do not agree with that analysis. I do not expect Cesena to take anything from the game.

Inter welcome Udinese to the San Siro after having supplied Messi, Cambiasso and Zanetti to Batista's Argentina for their midweek friendly 4 - 1 win over world champions Spain in Baires. Hopefully for Benitez the transatlantic travel will not impact too strongly on Inter's ability to take three points after their disappointing start against Valeri's Bologna. With the exception of Thiago Motta Inter are at full strength so they can be expected to get back on track starting at 1800 on Saturday evening.

Marino's Parma made a promising start against Brescia but their trip to Sicily to take on Giampaolo's Catania will be a more rigorous examination while Fiorentina should take something from Lecce.

Jelle1880
08-09-2010, 13:22
Trip to Lazio - Roma is a-ok :D

Bonkle Bear
08-09-2010, 14:21
Just read that the editor of Italian 442 magazine claims Barca had agreed for to sell Ibra to Juve but Ibra decided he wanted to go to Milan.

Moratti denies the Kaka to Internazionale story as well. Can't see Kaka deciding to go there, more likely to give the EPL a try if things don't improve in Madrid.

Moratti: "I read [the Kaka story] in this morning's papers. It's a great idea, but it doesn't come from us."

carino
08-09-2010, 15:37
Just read that the editor of Italian 442 magazine claims Barca had agreed for to sell Ibra to Juve but Ibra decided he wanted to go to Milan.

Moratti denies the Kaka to Internazionale story as well. Can't see Kaka deciding to go there, more likely to give the EPL a try if things don't improve in Madrid.BB - did you see the garish boots Cassano was sporting in Florence last night?

Bonkle Bear
08-09-2010, 15:45
BB - did you see the garish boots Cassano was sporting in Florence last night?

I've seen worse !

http://i54.tinypic.com/m8npyr.jpg

Reading a lot of articles lately about how Cassano is a changed man since he got marrried and has became more mature and will now fulfil his early promise. I give it two months before he's involved in a bust up. :D

carino
08-09-2010, 16:12
I've seen worse !

http://i54.tinypic.com/m8npyr.jpg

Reading a lot of articles lately about how Cassano is a changed man since he got marrried and has became more mature and will now fulfil his early promise. I give it two months before he's involved in a bust up. :Dhttp://i54.tinypic.com/2wols41.jpg

Worse than this RAI close up?....Really! :D

Perhaps the birth of his first child due in the spring next year will settle him down.

I would not however put cash on it. :D

NATERFC1
08-09-2010, 16:34
Live games in the UK on ESPN this weekend:
Saturday
Cesena v AC Milan
Sunday
Brescia v Palermo
Juventus V Samp
Napoli v Bari

Should be a good weekend :) Can't wait to see AC in action.

carino
08-09-2010, 16:59
Saturday
Cesena v AC Milan
Sunday
Bari v Palermo
Juventus V Samp
Napoli v Bari

Should be a good weekend :) Can't wait to see AC in action.Milan were immense on opening day with Pato, Borriello and Ronaldinho up front.

That said - Lecce are not quite Barcelona. :D

rosstheger
08-09-2010, 17:10
Cassano is a legend.

http://www.breakingfootballnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/antonio-cassano-uk-01.jpg

One of my favourite players around.

making_a_stand
08-09-2010, 17:13
Saturday
Cesena v AC Milan
Sunday
Bari v Palermo
Juventus V Samp
Napoli v Bari

Should be a good weekend :) Can't wait to see AC in action.

Poor Bari are going to be knackered come Monday morning. :D

Looking forward to Juventus - Sampdoria though.

rosstheger
08-09-2010, 17:14

Mon the Samp :D

NATERFC1
08-09-2010, 17:47

Haha :o :o

Brescia are playing Palermo on the sunday.

NATERFC1
08-09-2010, 17:52
Milan were immense on opening day with Pato, Borriello and Ronaldinho up front.

That said - Lecce are not quite Barcelona. :D

Borriello off to Roma now, i wonder how they will line up with Ibra and Robinho, I really hope they win it this season.

Bonkle Bear
09-09-2010, 12:56
Looking forward to seeing just how far Juve and Milan have improved this year. I think it will take Del Neri a bit of time to put his stamp on the side and I wouldn't be looking for them as Scudetto challengers but probably will do enough to fight it out for the 3rd CL spot. Aquilani will be good if they can keep him fit long enough. Quagliarella really needs to find a club he can settle at for a few seasons and get his career back on track and he seems perfect for Juve at this time. Dzeko is still making noises about wanting to go to Turin and was disappointed the move collapsed.

Milan look as if they will be Keegan-esque with the strength of their forwards and having look to have failed to add much quality at the back or in the midfield. They certainly promise to be entertaing if nothing else and if Ibra catches fire they could push Inetr if things don't go well for Benitez.

I suspect Roma will be the main contenders to Inter again this year and could actually sneak the Scudetto if injury and suspension don't hit them too hardly. For my money De Rossi and Pizzaro are the best midfield pairing in the league and Mexes and Juan have been fairly solid at the back for the past few seasons. I expect Vucinic will have another good year and the addition of Adriano (if he is past his problems) could be a master stroke by Ranieri. Totti will probably continue to have injury problems but make enough of a contribution when he's available. The likes of Menez and Borriello will also be good attacking options for the Giallorossi. Burdisso, Mexe, Juan and Cicinho are all fairly solid defenders and Lobont, Doni and Sergio are all very capable in goals.

Prediction

Roma
Inter
Milan
Juve

Earl of Leven
09-09-2010, 13:17
Do you reckon Yepez and the Gooch can help Milan at the back?

They have a very decent forward line.

I think Juve will do well...Krasic a good signing....but terrible start for them.

Bonkle Bear
09-09-2010, 13:26
Time will tell but I don't think they have strengthened as they should have. Amelia should provide a bit more stability but I can seem them being able to match Inter's miserly defence. I think Ibra will be a very good signing and breathes new life into them. Del Neri will probably take a few months to get Juve sorted out but he has the players to at least push for the 3rd CL spot.

Earl of Leven
09-09-2010, 13:27
I really thought Flamini would do well at Milan....really surprised he is a bit-part player.

MDC
09-09-2010, 14:32
Fun and games ahead at Milan.

(According to big Gab on Twitter)

Zlatan: "We can play me, Robinho, Ronaldinho, Pato and Inzaghi up front. No need to track back if you score plenty of goals."

carino
09-09-2010, 15:24
Fun and games ahead at Milan.

(According to big Gab on Twitter)

Zlatan: "We can play me, Robinho, Ronaldinho, Pato and Inzaghi up front. No need to track back if you score plenty of goals."
We love big Gab but even he can on occasion omit / alter a few words in the interest of sensation.

What really transpired in a packed standing room only televised press conference at Milan's Hotel Boscolo was:

La domanda sorge spontanea: ma Allegri li farà davvero giocare assieme? Risponde Ibra: "La migliore difesa è l'attacco; non serve andare indietro, ma attaccare; deciderà il Mister".

The inevitable question was: but will Allegri really play all of you together? the Ibra response: " The best defence is attack, no need to go back, but to attack; however the coach will decide".

Will the Milan strike force mean an end to the inaccurate FF: "Serie A is defensive shite" bandwagon? :D

MDC
09-09-2010, 15:26
To be fair to Gab, the character limits of Twitter are against him.

The press unveiling seemed to be generally pretty interesting.

If Milan do play all (or most) then their games will certainly not be dull. :D

carino
10-09-2010, 11:33
To be fair to Gab, the character limits of Twitter are against him.

The press unveiling seemed to be generally pretty interesting.

If Milan do play all (or most) then their games will certainly not be dull. :DBut they may well be alarming. :D

carino
10-09-2010, 11:40
Anticipated line-ups for Serie A TV games showing on ESPN UK this weekend;

Cesena v. Milan ( Saturday 1945 ). ( Awkward time as it screws up my Saturday evening if watched live ).

Cesena ( 4 - 3 - 3 ): Antonioli; Ceccarelli, Von Bergen, Pellegrino, Nagatomo; Appiah, Colucci, Parolo; Schelotto, Bogdani, Giaccherini.

Milan ( 4 - 3 - 3 ): Abbiati; Bonera, Thiago Silva, Papastathopoulos, Antonini; Gattuso, Ambrosini, Pirlo; Pato, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho. Nesta and Seedorf are carrying slight injuries and may not be risked ahead of Auxerre's visit on Champions League business on Wednesday evening.

Brescia v. Palermo ( Sunday 1130 ).

Brescia ( 4 -3- 1- 2 ): Sereni; Berardi, Bega, Martinez, Dallamano; Hetemaj, Cordova, Baiocco; Diamanti; Eder, Caracciolo ( Remember Wattie flying to Italy to try to sign him! ).

Palermo ( 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 ): Sirigu; Cassani, Munoz, Bovo, Balzaretti; Migliaccio, Nocerino, Kasami; Pastore; Hernandez, Maccarone.

Napoli v. Bari ( Sunday 1945 ).

Napoli ( 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 ): DeSanctis; Grava, Cannavaro, Campagnaro; Maggio, Pazienza, Gargano, Dossena; Hamsik, Lavezzi; Cavani.

Bari ( 4 - 4 - 2 ): Gillet; Belmonte, A. Masiello, Rossi, S. Masiello; Alvarez, Donati, Almiron, Ghezzal; Barreto, Kutuzov.

Other likely leading line-ups for games available on Sky Calcio:

Inter ( 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 ): Julio Cesar; Maicon, Lucio, Samuel, Chivu; Zanetti, Cambiasso; Eto'o, Sneijder, Pandev; Milito.

Juventus ( 4 - 4 - 2 ): Storari; Motta, Bonucci, Chiellini, DeCeglie; Krasic, Felipe Melo, Acquiliani, Pepe; Quagliarella, Del Piero.

Parma ( 4 - 3 - 3 ): Mirante; Zaccardo, Paci, Lucarelli, Antonelli; Valliani, Morrone, Gobbi; Giovinco, Bojinov, Marques. Paloschi, on loan from Milan, may play if declared fit.

Sampdoria ( 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 ): Curci; Zauri, Gastaldello, Lucchino, Ziegler; Semioli, Palombo, Dessena; Guberti; Pazzini, Cassano.

Genoa ( 3 - 4 - 3 ): Eduardo; Ranocchia, Kaladze, Moretti, Rafinha; Milanetto, Veloso, Criscito; Rossi, Sculli, Palacio.

In an exclusive in-depth interview Silvio Berlusconi has told Gazzetta dello Sport he will not interfere with Allegri's team selections. ( An unlikely scenario :D ).

The Italian premier continued by saying the departure of Leonardo and Ancelotti was due to him being tired of seeing Milan strikers playing forty metres from their opponent's penalty area.

Asked about rumours surrounding the possibilty of Balotelli arriving at Milanello and Inter interest in Kaka Il Cavaliere replied: " "Non mi risulta di un passaggio di Mario mentre per quanto riguarda Kakà se passasse all'Inter lo applaudirei perchè è sempre un grande giocatore". ( "I know nothing about a Mario move but I would applaud a Kaka move to Inter because he is a great player" ).

Bonkle Bear
10-09-2010, 11:48
ESPN showing the full Milan game at 10am on the Sunday as well Carino

Players strike just announced

The Italian Footballers' Association has announced its decision to strike on the weekend commencing September 25, bringing Serie A to a grinding halt.

The AIC is protesting at the renewal of Serie A's collective-bargaining agreement.

Milan full-back Massimo Oddo read out the following statement: “The AIC, in accordance with the teams in Serie A, has decided that they will not take to the pitch on the 5th round of the season on September 25 and 26 in protest at the introduction of the new contractual regime.”

The highest profile match to be effected will be that between Roma and Inter.

When asked to explain the decision, Oddo said: “The players are fed up with being treated like objects and not like people.

“We are dealing with human rights here,” he concluded.

From Four Four Two.com

The players' association has threatened to strike several times in recent times over an array of disputes but it has always previously stepped back from the brink or come to an agreement with soccer bosses.

This time the weight of ill-feeling over a complex contract issue has been greater.

A collective contract between the association and the league guaranteeing players' rights expired in the close season and attempts to draft a new deal have faltered.

The top flight Serie A, which formed a breakaway division from the rest of the Italian league at the start of this term with club bosses vowing to run things their way, had said they would propose a new collective deal this Monday.

Allied to the absence of a collective agreement, the players' association has become alarmed by the trend of clubs trying to force players to move teams in the last year of their contracts when they are no longer wanted

Earl of Leven
10-09-2010, 11:52
It could help save Serie A ironically...collective TV deals with strengthen league.

Daft decision.

carino
10-09-2010, 12:17
It could help save Serie A ironically...collective TV deals with strengthen league.

Daft decision.The threatened strike is unconnected with the Serie A collective TV deal Scotbear - it is about players individual rights being altered since Serie A separated from the rest of the Italian league.

The dispute centres around a proposal by clubs to limit the rights of players to refuse transfers, as Juventus defender Fabio Grosso recently did following an offer from AC Milan.

The clubs want the right to insist that when a player has a year remaining on his contract, he must accept a transfer to another, equally competitive club that guarantees the same financial treatment and status.

They propose that if the player does not agree to move he must instead come to a deal over his contract with his current employers.

Earl of Leven
10-09-2010, 12:34
Oh, thanks...that's daft and probably illegal.

Players can sign a pre-contract with who they like.

Il Migliore
11-09-2010, 20:55
Just turned on the Roma game on atdhe.

For those interested Cagliari are destroying them 4-1 and the second half has not long started.

Il Migliore
11-09-2010, 20:56
Cesena beating Milan 2-0 also.

Unreal.

MDC
11-09-2010, 21:00
Cesena crowd is tremendous (in terms of noise, small intimate stadium, etc)

Picture of big Zlatan at HT was one to paint a thousand words. :D

scottbear75
11-09-2010, 21:04
Cesena beating Milan 2-0 also.

Unreal.

is this the milan who were going to win everything this year apart from the eurovision song contest according to ibrahimavic

rosstheger
11-09-2010, 21:05
AC Milan are just lacking that final ball.

Got so much possession for 75% of the pitch but Pirlo just runs out of ideas.

superbear
11-09-2010, 21:33
Zlatan misses a penalty.

2-0 Cesena.

superbear
12-09-2010, 12:04
Brescia v Palermo on ESPN now. 2-1 to Brescia with half an hour gone. Good game.

Earl of Leven
12-09-2010, 13:31
Brescia won 3-2.....amongst their ranks was Andrea Caracciolo who I recall turned down a love to us a few years ago.

carino
13-09-2010, 09:54
http://i53.tinypic.com/20z3f6h.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/30at74m.jpg

Some shockers over the weekend with Milan and Roma heading the disaster list at Cesena and Cagliari respectively. Inter and Juventus improved but not to an extent which will keep the tifosi happy - Inter started brightly but required an Eto'o penalty, parried initially but netted on the rebound, to clinch matters.

Fiorentina suffered a bad refereeing decision for the second time this season in their 1 - 0 reverse at Lecce when a Koldrup goal was wrongly disallowed.

Great stuff in Turin where Juventus and Sampdoria shared six goals with Cassano again excellent for the visitors.

Sunday night at the San Paolo a saw late equaliser from Bari who started brilliantly and took the lead but faded as Napoli, with Cavani and Lavezzi excellent, netted twice with the second coming with three minutes remaining only to see Castillo even it up one minute later.

Unlikely current Serie A leaders Chievo went a goal behind at Genoa but came back strongly to equalise on the interval. They then dominated the second half and had the game sown up with fifteen minutes remaining.

Claudio Ranieri does not have his problems to seek at Roma where following the dismissal of Argentinean Burdisso for a horrendous tackle on Cagliari midfielder Daniele Conti, who suffered a knee / shin gas requiring thirty stitches, they went 2 - 1 down from the resultant penalty. After that it was total collapse to a humiliating 5 - 1 drubbing. The serious injury to Conti was witnessed by his father, Roma Director of Football Bruno Conti, who made more than three hundred appearances for the club between 1973 and 1990.

If goals are your thing Serie A was the place to watch thirty-eight of them over the weekend - twelve more than any other major league though the Premiership and La Liga still have a fixture outstanding.

Milan found out ( as have many before them ) that spending is not necessarily a universal panacea - so what went wrong at the sold out 23,000 capacity Dino Manuzzi stadium in Cesena on Saturday evening?...Lots is the answer.

First off Alessandro Nesta was left out to try to ensure he is fit for Wednesday evening Champions League game against Auxerre. He was replaced by Greek stopper Papastathopoulos who proved an inadequate partner for the normally excellent Thiago Silva. The Greek's first meaningful contribution was to attempt to kick the ball as opposed to heading it when towering Albanian Erjon Bogdani opened the scoring after an excellent counter attack.

An injury to Thiago Silva impacted his ability to catch Emanuele Giaccherini in another excellent counter-attack. Thiago Silva left proceedings after one minute of the second half and is now doubtful for the Champions League.

Milan huffed and puffed with Pirlo directing traffic till he eventually run out of ideas but the main problem was the unwillingness of Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho and to a lesser extent, Pato to track back. Ambrosini, back in the Marche where his career started in 1995, and Gattuso simply could not compensate for the lack of work ethic shown by the front players.

Conversely Cesena worked their socks off, defended brilliantly and counter attacked with great effect. Manager Massimo Ficcadenti has his squad well drilled and if they keep it up will be no pushovers this season.

Milan did have two Pato goals disallowed, one for alleged offside and another for a handling offence where the linesman had already begun his run to the centre line. If however Allegri accepts those or the penalty missed by Ibrahimovic as a reason for his team's defeat he will be making a huge error. The fact of the matter is he was comprehensively outsmarted tactically by former Hellas Verona transfer consigliere Massimo Ficcadenti and his big name forwards did not turn up, or work, on the night.

To end the game with Pato, Inzaghi, Ibrahimovic and Robinho on the field and not to score must have been painful for Allegri, but not as painful as it will be trying to convince Ambrosini and Gattuso to run themselves in to the ground weekly to make up for for drones posing as strikers. Neither will it be easy to ensure Andrea Pirlo continues to attempt to hold the ball in a crowded midfield as he waits in vain for one of three strikers to move in to a space.

Ironically Milan looked best towards the end of the game when Ibrahimovic moved to a trequartista role but by then it was too late and the best potential trequartista Ronaldinho had already left the proceedings.

I predict a bumpy ride for Signor Allegri - if not yet a short career.

Roma has similar problems and where or how manager Ranieri cam start to solve them is difficult to see. Thought to be potential challengers for the title two weeks back they are now a directionless outfit with no apparent game plan.

Sadly the weekend was not without violence - a young Palermo fan from Ragusa was attacked close to the ticket office at the Rigamonti and is in hospital suffering from broken ribs though blood from his injuries did not appear to have entered his lungs nor is his life in danger.

Roma captain Francesco Totti has contracted an intestinal virus and is doubtful for the Champions League encounter with Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

Inter are hopeful their outstanding right back Maicon who missed the game against Udinese due to a knee injury ( and was badly missd by Inter ) will be fit for Champions League duty against Twente. Thiago Motta and Dejan Stankovic are both unfit and will not travel and Inter must also be hoping Argentinean striker Diego Milito finds last season's form sooner rather than later.

With the transfer window closed onlu by thirteen days Inter manager Benitez who has made it known he requires reinforcements in January. On technical director's radar are Udinese midfielder Inler, Atletico Madrid's Diego Forlan and twenty-three year old left back Luca Antonelli currently at Parma on loan from Milan.

Loves To Spooge
13-09-2010, 10:02
heard zlatan fluffed a penalty :clap:

Earl of Leven
13-09-2010, 10:15
Samp doing well......but some strange results for the bigger teams.

Jelle1880
13-09-2010, 13:31
Just read up on the 'tessera del tifosi'.

Italian logic, got to love it :D
A 'tessera del tifosi' is a sort of ID Card which is needed for fans to be able to buy tickets for away games.
However, if you have been pulled up on something in 1998 or whenever and got banned from the ground (And in Italy this can happen if you just put up your middlefinger to the opposition) you're not able to get the card, hence no away games.

However, home fans don't need the card, so you're perfectly able to buy tickets for the home end :D

Meaning that you will get situations like Verona away to Monza:

Fans with a 'tessera' in the away sector:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4484/monzaverona012.jpg

Fans without a 'tessera' in a small part made free for them:

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/8930/monzaverona047.jpg

carino
17-09-2010, 12:22
http://i51.tinypic.com/10ns6r9.jpg

Back to bread and butter Serie A after mixed fortunes in Europe for the peninsula's representatives. In the Champions League Milan won in the San Siro while Roma and Inter lost and drew respectively away from home.

In the Europa League a disastrous Juventus drew at home with Lech Poznan, Palermo lost to Sparta Praha, Napoli were held to a draw by Utrecht, who hammered Celtic in the play-off round, while Sampdoria surrendered a 1 - 0 lead in the ninetieth minute against Eindhoven to draw 1 - 1.

Only one winner in seven Euro outings perhaps reflects the current low ebb Italian football finds itself at.

Game of the week on paper would appear to be Sampdoria v. Napoli at the Luigi Ferraris where Di Carlo's squad with Cassano and Pazzini on top form will hope to carry on their recent domestic form with a win against a so far lacklustre Napoli.

Galliani's spat with referee designator Stefano Braschi at Cesena last week, the fall out from which still rumbles on, the Ibrahimovic / Sacchi TV polemic and the unavailability of Milan's Ambrosini and Pato should focus attention, perhaps of the wrong sort, on the Milan v. Palermo encounter in the San Siro.

In response to a TV run in between Ibrahimovic and former Milan and Azzurri boss Arrigo Sacchi the latter has made a written response via Gazzetta dello Sport. In it Sacchi played down the issue, claimed he has praised Ibra on many occasions, has acknowledged his brilliance but has also questioned his ability to play to a team plan. He went on to suggest Ibra might be unaware of the affection Berlusconi, Galliani and Milan fans in general had for him and the esteem in which they hold him. There are many who do not agree with old Arrigo's view on his popularity at Via Turati or among the abbonnati!

Milan started the season well on day one, collapsed at Cesena on day two, struggled against Auxerre in the Champions League for an hour before producing half an hour of magic to win comfortably. Who knows which Milan will turn up!

Roma host Bologna at the Olimpico in a fixture made interesting only by current friction between Franceso Totti and Claudio Ranieri on the issue of tactics stemming from Roma's appalling start to the season. Should the bad results continue Totti will remain but expect Ranieri to depart the scene to be replaced, ANSA sources claim, by ex-Azzurri boss Marcello Lippi or one season Milan manager Leonardo. The telegenic latter will certainly improve the team photie!

Chievo take on Brescia at home and should retain their Serie A top spot by claiming all three points.

Juventus travel to Udine hoping to get their season on track but there is no guarantee even an outing against bottom club Udinese will see their fortunes transformed. Coach Delneri admits he requires additional resources to even hope to improve matters.

Inter who have been less than dominant in all outings so far head south to Sicily where fifth bottom Palermo will be hoping to improve their points total by at least one.

Surprise package Cesena who have a draw with Roma and a home win over Milan to their credit so far should continue their great start at home against Lecce who, despite a fortunate win over Fiorentina, have till now looked what they are - a newly promoted side struggling to bridge the division gap.

Genoa head for Parma but the absence of Jankovic, Palladino and Toni will make securing anything an uphill task against a competent Parma outfit well organised by coach Marino. Parma will be missing Galloppa who is out till January and the co-owned with Milan Alberto Paloschi.

Fiorentina welcome Lazio to the Franchi hoping to avoid referee errors which slo-mo confirms have robbed Sinisa Mihajlovic's men of five points so far this season. Sinisa has been getting grief from his number 84, former yahoo head case Artur Boruc, who is of the opinion he should be in the team ahead of Sebastian Frey. The bad news for Boruc is he is destined for the panchina unless Frey is injured.

Time is running out for players and La Lega di Serie A to reach an agreement on a new collective contract before strike action which is scheduled for next weekend. Ahead of a meeting later today league president Maurizio Beretta has called for a postponment of the strike to permit more discussion but so far players' representatives have refused to move on the issue.

All Serie A games are live on Sky Italia HD while ESPN appear to only be covering two Serie A games live this weekend ( can anyone verify that ):

ESPN live coverage

Saturday 18 September

Milan v. Catania - 1945 UK

Sunday 19 September

Sampdoria v. Napoli - 1945 UK

carino
21-09-2010, 12:56
http://i55.tinypic.com/33a5q3s.jpg

There is still no progress on the dispute between Serie A players and La Lega on the subject of conditions attached to player contracts. Lega vice-president Leonardo Grosso confirmed negotiations are ongoing and hopes a players' strike threatened for this weekend can be avoided.

Napoli's striker Cavani who netted a late winner against Sampdoria is attracting admirers. Since arriving from Palermo the Uruguyan has netted five times in six outings.

Roma have Totti and De Rossi doubtful for their trip to Brescia at the weekend but Mirko Vucinic will be fit again.

Criticism of referees continues as post-match slo-mo confirmed potential result changing errors at Cesena, Florence, Milan, Palermo, Parma, Rome, and Genoa. Azzurri team manager has defended referees saying they do not have the advantage of slo-mo replays.

Genoa boss Gian Piero Gasperini is under pressure after his side's poor start to the season. Club president Preziosi recruited in the summer without a great deal of consultation with Gasperini who seems reluctant to play some of the newcomers.

There is friction at Appiano Gentile where Diego Milito who after his success last season indicated he needs improved terms if he is to remain at the club. His lack of goals in the present campaign is not helping his case so a move may be on the way.

Napoli owner and movie maker Aurelio De Laurentis upbeat after his team's late goal against Sampdoria has told Il Mattino: "you ain't seen nothing yet". Manager Mazzarri had better be listening!

Juventus are reportedly showing interest in Liverpool midfielder Lucas Levia Pezzini. Lucas as he is more commonly known has an EU passport via his Italian origins and will not be a problem for the Serie A 'foreigner' rule. A fee of €8 has been suggested.

Milan having seen the inept Papastathopoulos' weakness cruelly exposed by Cesena's Bogdani and with Daniele Bonera similarly struggling against Giaccherini are looking at strengthening central defence. Roma central defender Philippe Mexes who is out of contract in the summer is on the Milanello radar for January to partner the brilliant but increasingly fragile Alessandro Nesta.

Roma technical director Bruno Conti has been to France to check on Troyes teenager Thomas Izerghouf. Milan's Ariedo Braida has also watched the player but opposition for his signature is expected from other European big guns.

carino
23-09-2010, 15:07
http://i54.tinypic.com/2ugjde1.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/6yjzfl.jpg

A familiar look has emerged at the top of Serie A after four games - at least as far as the top spot is concerned.

Perhaps slots two thru' seven reflect the fact that domestic TV cash is now negotiated on a collective basis as opposed to the previous individual arrangements.

Good for competition in a domestic sense but on a European dimension it is a disaster for Italy. The nation is already on a downward football decline and retained its three direct Champions League slots only by a whisker last season. The more even spread of TV cash will impact even further the top clubs ability to compete in Europe, especially with the big two in Spain.

Inter with Moratti still funding them from his ownership of the highly profitable SARAS Petroleum conglomerate are largely immune and remain favourites for the domestic title. Whether they can retain the Champions League trophy is less certain.

The good news for them is that Diego Milito finally found last season's form and bagged two excellent goals - the other two were Eto'o penalties.

Inter central defender Argentinean Walter Samuel will miss the game against Roma this weekend due to a thigh strain but is expected to be fit for the Champions League against Werder Bremen next midweek.

Last night Milan, despite having overcome a resolute Lazio defence to take a well deserved one goal lead via Ibrahimovic, again showed defensive fragility by conceding a counter attack goal with seven minutes remaining. Post-match, manager Allegri was less than convincing when attempting to explain why there is no reason for panic at Milanello.

For Milan to be five points off the pace after four games is a new low, especially when signs of improvement are few to non-existent.

Prior to the game Lazio unveiled their new mascot, a tame eagle, which made a flight around the stadium before retiring to its trainer!

Questioned about Milan results and their effect on manage Allegri Adriano Galliani responded briefly by expressing disappointment about the points total so far but added it is too soon to judge the manager.

Roma continue their sad start but post-match viewing of interviews with manager Ranieri and former Milan striker Marco Borriello were interesting. Ranieri was incensed at being denied two penalties and slo-mo backed him up. One time Wattie target Andrea Carraciola was on target for Brescia in their 2 - 1 win.

Marco Borriello astonished this viewer by revealing in interview when he was with Milan last night's referee Carmine Russo asked for his shirt after a game but now will not even speak to him!

Russo also wrongly dismissed Philippe Mexes who today has been banned for three games. Roma owner Rosella Sensi also entered the referee discussing by claiming Russo appears to be blind.

Speculation presented as fact last night that Roma keeper Julio Sergio played the last few mimutes with a broken leg is wide of the mark - he has damaged ligaments and will be out for up to a month.

Sampdoria failed to score at Cagliari and after their reverse at the weekend have lost their initial sparkle and appeared to suffer from the absence of Cassano who did not travel for personal reasons.

Pressure eased on Fiorentina boss Sinisa Mihajlovic with a 1 - 1 draw away to Genoa but it will take consistency to appease owner Hogan / Tods proprietor Diego Delle Valle.

After their remarkable late late show to take three points at Sampdoria Napoli turned in a poor performance while losing at home to Chievo. Match highlights are a poor way to form opinion but the Sky Italia commentator at the game saw little to please Napoli fans. On a brighter note for Napoli owner Aurelio De Laurentis has secured the services of Slovakian midfielder Marek Hamsik till 2015.

Juventus entertain Palermo at the Olimpico tonight and it will be interesting to see if they can maintain the form which saw them win 4 - 0 at Udinese at the weekend. The game is live in UK on ESPN - kick-off 1945.

TheBattleFever
23-09-2010, 15:49
Juventus are reportedly showing interest in Liverpool midfielder Lucas Levia Pezzini. Lucas as he is more commonly known has an EU passport via his Italian origins and will not be a problem for the Serie A 'foreigner' rule. A fee of €8 has been suggested.

Sounds about right :D

53easy
23-09-2010, 18:41
Milan title challenge nearly over after 4 games.

The decision to spend 20m on Robinho while not improving the defence was crazy.

mesteph
23-09-2010, 19:17
Thanks for the updates mate, keep them coming. Can you tell me any more about the 'tessera' situation. As I understand it the ultras from most clubs have refused to accept it? Are they still being allowed in to all of the away games? It seems crazy and it really would be a shame to sanitise the atmosphere of Italian matches, it looks like this might just be the final step to drive the ultras away. Do you think there is much chance of the government backing down?

NATERFC1
24-09-2010, 01:24
Good start to the season for Lazio, i hope they can keep it up, i am predicting a top 8 finish for them :)

NATERFC1
24-09-2010, 01:28
Palermo were also fantastic tonight but Juve looked a bit of a shambles although they have quite a good squad i expected alot more, Mauricio Pinilla was up top for Palermo was he the same guy Hearts had a few years ago?? On a side note surely now Serie A is most competitive league out the big 3? You really can't predict any of the results and it is highly entertaining.

stefanovitch
24-09-2010, 09:00
Palermo were also fantastic tonight but Juve looked a bit of a shambles although they have quite a good squad i expected alot more, Mauricio Pinilla was up top for Palermo was he the same guy Hearts had a few years ago?? On a side note surely now Serie A is most competitive league out the big 3? You really can't predict any of the results and it is highly entertaining.

Pinilla did indeed endure a loan spell with Hearts back in 2006 ;)

carino
24-09-2010, 12:36
Thanks for the updates mate, keep them coming. Can you tell me any more about the 'tessera' situation. As I understand it the ultras from most clubs have refused to accept it? Are they still being allowed in to all of the away games? It seems crazy and it really would be a shame to sanitise the atmosphere of Italian matches, it looks like this might just be the final step to drive the ultras away. Do you think there is much chance of the government backing down?
The introduction of the fan ID card or TDT has not been without problems - but in Italy nothing but nothing is without problems!

There have been protests from fans, players and club officials have criticised them and its prime supporter in government Roberto Maroni the interior minister had a political rally interrupted by Atalanta fans. That incident ended in chaos with a police car torched and running battles in the street. None of which helped those opposed to the TDT.

Despite the introduction of TDTs there have been games where away fans have been banned and games when away fans made it in to the home section of the stadium.

The situation seems to change from week to week but as far as I am aware TDTs are mandatory if you wish to buy a season ticket or buy a ticket for the away section at a game. There is however nothing which stops anyone buying a ticket for the home section at any game.

Most clubs have adopted the TDT for season ticket sales this season but there are exceptions as I am told Sampdoria and Genoa have devised a method which permits their fans to by-pass the TDT scheme.

Milan have definitely adopted it but there is an exception for existing season ticket holders with a Cuore Rorronero card, no football criminal record or banning order on record. My season ticket was renewed on presentation of my card:

http://i56.tinypic.com/10pye03.jpg

There is absolutely no problem for foreigners who wish to buy tickets online providing they provide passport details and present the passport when picking up the ticket and when entering the stadium.

Those foreigners who wish to buy tickets in Italy merely take their passport to the ticket sales office and also present it to security at the stadium.

Despite the widespread protests I do not think the government will abandon the scheme mainly due to the death of police inspector Filippo Raciti following post-match street violence in Sicily.

carino
24-09-2010, 12:39
Juventus appeared to have turned the corner at the weekend with four goals against Udinese but at the Olimpico last night they suffered a severe set back when they collapsed to a 3 - 1 defeat by Palermo.

This leaves the Old Lady with four points from four games, in sixth bottom place and trailing leaders Inter by six points.

Interviewed post-match by Sky Italia pundits Massimo Mauro and Bepe Bergomi Juventus manager Gigi Del Neri was at a loss to explain the defeat. Delio Rossi the Palermo manager was not at a loss for words as he expressed delight at the manner in which his young team performed - and rightly so.

Javier Pastore opened the scoring for Palermo in two minutes with Slovenian Josip Ilicic adding a second fifteen minutes later. A great free kick from defender Cesare Bovo completed Palermo's scoring and effectively ended the game five minutes from the interval.

The introduction of two Juve strikers, Amauri and Iaquinta, immediately after the restart made no difference and neither did the arrival of on loan from Liverpool centrocampista Alberto Aquilani who replaced the tiring Del Piero on the hour. Alberto started where he left off at Liverpool - not very well.

Outstanding for Palermo were MOTM twenty year old Argentinean Javier Pastore from Cordoba who two years ago was on loan from Talleres to Huracan in his home country. The young 1.86MT tall midfielder Pastore is surely destined for greater things.

Almost as impressive was Pastore's countryman from Pergamino nineteen year old defender Ezequiel Munoz.

(What a pity young players from that apparently never ending source of talent, Argentina, have no interest in coming to Scotland).

An interesting note is Juventus fans ( the 16,000 who turned up in the 25,000 capacity Olimpico that is) are showing great patience with the results and this was reflected in Amauri and Iaquinta thanking them by throwing their jerseys to the tifosi after the game.

http://i52.tinypic.com/29ys2dj.jpg
Javier Pastore celebrates his opening goal for Palermo with Chilean Mauricio Pinilla.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2md4h21.jpg

Cesare Bovo's sensational thirty-five metre free kick which gave Juve keeper Marco Storari no chance.

Elsewhere Portsmouth administrator Andrew Andronikou has accused Genoa of failing to pay the first installment of the €6 million fee for Kevin Prince Boateng now on loan at Milan. Andronikou has filed complaints with both English and Italian federations claiming the first payment was due two weeks back.

Double trouble for our old adversary Parma as their summer signing from Juventus Sebastian Giovinco joins fellow striker Alberto Paloschi on the treatment table. Giovinco is likely to be out for a month.

Cagliari owner Massimo Cellino has announced the contract for construction of a new stadium in the Elmas area of the city will be signed today. The stadium will be all seated, covered and have a capacity of 23,600.

Francesco Totti and Daniele Rossi who missed the midweek defeat by Brescia return to the squad for Roma's Saturday evening encounter with Inter at the Olimpico.

Palermo owner Maurizio Zamparini has told the media Real Madrid have indicated interest in Palermo's Javier Pastore but Zamparini emphasised the Argentinean twenty year old is going nowhere in January or even next summer.

carino
25-09-2010, 12:47
Serie A Saturday 25 September.

Probable Formations.

Milan v. Genoa - KO 1700 Live Sky Calcio 1, Sky Calcio HD1.

Milan ( 4- 3 - 3 ) - Abbiati; Zambrotta, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Antonini; Gattuso, Seedorf, Boateng; Robinho, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho.

Genoa ( 4 - 3 - 3 ) - Eduardo; Chico, Ranocchia, Kaladze, Criscito; Rafinha, Veloso, Kharja; Palacio, Toni, Mesto.

Roma v. Inter - KO 1945 Live ESPN, Sky Calcio 1, Sky Calcio HD1.

Roma ( 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 ) - Lobont; Cassetti, Burdisso, Juan, Riise; Perrotta, Pizarro, De Rossi; Menez; Borriello, Totti.

Inter ( 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 ) - Julio Cesar; Maicon, Lucio, Cordoba, Chivu; Stankovic, Cambiasso; Pandev, Sneijder, Eto'o; Milito.

Unusually Inter owner Massimo Moratti will not be at the Olimpico tonight to watch his team against Roma. Instead he will be at his daughter's wedding reception.

For the first time since 2005 Inter captain Javier Zanetti will miss a game against Roma - he has a muscle strain.

Whispers in Milan suggest Wesley Sneijder, confident in his worth to Inter after a highly successful world cup and several player awards, is seeking a wage increase. Mournho and Real Madrid are reported to be interest should Moratti not agree to Sneijder's demand.

After twenty year old Argentinean Javier Pastore's stunning performance against Juventus reprts are circulating in Sicily that Manchester City have joined Real Madrid in a quest for El Flaco's signature.

Riccardo Montolivo has failed to reach terms with Fiorentina. Should agreement not be reached Napoli owner Aurelio De Laurentus is reported to be interested in taking the player to the San Paolo.

CertifiedWeissfanboy
25-09-2010, 12:59
Pastore is the best player in Serie A.

oranje-viola
25-09-2010, 12:59
That Mauricio Pinilla shown in the pic above with Pastore....is he the former Hearts reject??:blink:

carino
25-09-2010, 13:02
That Mauricio Pinilla shown in the pic above with Pastore....is he the former Hearts reject??:blink:Yes - it is the same guy.

carino
26-09-2010, 20:05
Serie A Last Night

Milan v. Genoa

A 42,000 crowd saw a dire affair at the San Siro where Milan laboured before eventually overcoming a defensive minded Genoa 1 - 0.

The only goal was a route one effort four minutes in to the second half when a fifty metre Pirlo punt found Ibrahimovic who held off two defenders to lob Genoa keeper Eduardo.

Ibrahimovic has now netted four times in five outings for Milan but if new coach Allegri persists with his 4 - 3 - 3 formation it will take more thanan in-form Ibrahimovic to secure a direct entry Champions League slot.

Fortunately for Milan events at the Olimpico later in the evening reduced their points deficit with Inter from five to two.

http://i51.tinypic.com/117qo8y.jpg

Milan goalscorer and MOTM Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Roma v. Inter

A great first half at the Olimpico ended 0 - 0 but with Inter looking the most likely to take the points. The second half did not match the first for entertainment till the entrance of Mirko Vucinic who replaced Roma captain Francesco Totti with fifteen minutes remaining.

Vucinic galvanised Roma ( why he does not start every week is a mystery answerable only by Ranieri ) and he earned his wages with a brave stunning twelve metre headed goal from a Daniele De Rossi cross well in to injury time - avoiding the lethal boot of Inter central defender Lucio to do so.

Inter manager Benitez appeared to have settled for a share of the points when he replaced an ineffective Diego Milito with midfielder Sulley Muntari after twenty minutes of the second half but the late Vucinic intervention saw him leave Rome with nothing.

http://i53.tinypic.com/f3atzs.jpg

Vucinic beats Maicon and Lucio to snatch the winner.

Watch it HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLK5rQO-wBk)

http://i55.tinypic.com/6toffa.jpg

MOTM Mirko Vucinic.

http://i53.tinypic.com/6j3ugw.jpg

Roma owner Rosella Sensi was delighted with the result.

KBoyd1690
26-09-2010, 20:10
Always been impressed with Vucinic, strange that he's not a regular starter.

How has Robinho started at Milan?

El Guaje
26-09-2010, 20:12
Benitez is going to ruin Inter. I hate him.

carino
29-09-2010, 12:48
Snippets from the peninsula.

Happy Birthday - Buon Compleano Silvio Berlusconi ( seventy-four today ) and thank you for a great twenty-five years.

Congratulations to evergreen Clarence Seedorf for last night's masterly performance against Ajax the club the thirty-four year old left for Sampdoria way back in 1995.

Real Madrid and Schalke 04 are interested in Lazio left back Stephan Lichtsteiner whose contract expires in June 2012.

Agents for young Argentinean strikers Lucas Bernasconi and Ronald Baroni have arrived in Florence for talks with clubs interested in the players. Meetings are scheduled ( in this order ) with Milan, Fiorentina, Lazio, Juventus and, on Sunday, Dortmund.

Also in demand in Italy is River Plate striker Rogelio Funes Mori but club president Daniele Passarella has indicated he is keen to keep the nineteen year old till June 2011.

At a press conference prior to last night's draw with Ajax Milan CEO Adriano Galliani appeared to have raised the bar for new manager Massimilliano Allegri by suggesting the Scudetto was achievable this season. He also confirmed Alejandre Pato should be fit for Saturday evening's 1945 visit to the Tardini at Parma ( I wish Serie A fixtures would top screwing up my Saturday evenings :().

Silvio Berlusconi has increased the pressure on Milan manager Allegri by suggesting he set up too defensively last night. Berlusconi suggested Milan might have created more than the three excellent chances they did with a more attack minded formation. ( I do not agree with Il Cavaliere ).

Despite being included in Benitez' convocati Inter's Argentinean striker Diego Milito is unfit and will miss the Champions League game with Werder Bremen tonight. Samuel Eto'o will start up front. Goran Pandev is also out of the tie.

Local press in Udine are reporting Udinese's Sissoko, on loan at Kilmarnock, has told the Daily Record he has no wish to return to Italy where: "Everyone is mad and the fans are fanatics. Here in Scotland there is much more understanding". REALLY!. Await claims of: 'something being lost in translation'. :D

Juventus and Azzurri defender Giorgio Chiellini has signed a new contract with the Old Lady till 2015.

Napoli have sold out the San Paolo for Sunday afternoon's Derby del Sole encounter with Roma. Given the importance of Roma's visit Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri is likely to rest several key players ( Aronica, Lavezzi and Pazienza amongst them ) in Thursday's Europa League tie against Steaua Bucharest.

carino
05-10-2010, 18:02
Cesare Prandelli will take the following squad to Belfast for Friday's Euro qualification tie. After that they return to the peninsula for the encounter with Serbia at Genoa in the same competition.

Mirante (Parma ), Sirigu (Palermo), Viviano (Bologna).

Cassani (Palermo), Zambrotta (Milan), Bonucci (Juventus), Bovo (Palermo), Chiellini (Juventus), Gastaldello (Sampdoria), Antonelli (Parma), Criscito (Genoa).

De Rossi (Roma), Lazzari (Cagliari), Marchisio (Juventus), Mauri (Lazio), Palombo (Sampdoria), Pirlo (Milan), Pepe (Juventus).

Cassano (Sampdoria), Gilardino (Fiorentina), Pazzini (Sampdoria), Borriello (Roma), Rossi (Villarreal).

A major surprise is the inclusion of veteran world cup winner Gianluca Zambrotta whose international career seemed to have waned. Already on 97 caps the Milan terzino may with a bit of luck now reach the ton.

Notable absentees are Iaquinta, Montolivo, Molinaro, Amauri, Quagliarella and Mario Balotelli of whom only the latter is injured.

Roma terzion Christian Chivu has been referred to the FIGC disciplinary body for offensive gestures made to Inter fans after the Coppa Italia Final on 5 May last. Inter won the game 1 - 0.

On top of the world ( and the classifica ) is Serie A's oldest manager Lazio's sixty-five year old Edy Reja. Unfashionable Reja who is from Gorizia close to Slovenia has managed twenty-two teams in his career. The last time Lazio were top of Serie A was in 2000 under Sven-Goran Eriksson when they went on to win the Scudetto. Do not put any cash on them repeating that feat his time round.

Inter centrocampisto Sulley Muntari looks set to leave Appiano Gentile in January with Liverpool and Tottenham allegedly amongst clubs prepared to part with circa €10 million for the twenty-six year old.

Sir Drake of Caicos
05-10-2010, 18:25
Do AC Milan fans not care about their team regularly signing Inter rejects, such as Ronaldo and Zlatan?

carino
05-10-2010, 19:43
Do AC Milan fans not care about their team regularly signing Inter rejects, such as Ronaldo and Zlatan?
I have no idea on the view of every Milan fan and can only give my view and that of others I know personally.

That view is if the player performs well where he came from is of no relevance.

Neither is the fact that the merchandise store at the San Siro is shared of any importance - when Milan are playing the Inter side of the store is not illuminated and vice versa.

TheBattleFever
06-10-2010, 00:37
I was listening to the Guardian football podcast earlier and James Richardson was speaking very highly of Hernanes from Lazio, anyone seen much of him?

thepower
06-10-2010, 00:56

Zlatan was hardly a reject. He was Inters best player by miles and it took a crazy deal for them to sell him.

Earl of Leven
06-10-2010, 10:41
Good luck to Samp, Napoli and Roma this season........as usual.

And to all the newly promoted teams.....

carino
06-10-2010, 11:41
I was listening to the Guardian football podcast earlier and James Richardson was speaking very highly of Hernanes from Lazio, anyone seen much of him?
Excellent player.

Saw him against Milan at the end of September when he set up Sergio Floccari for the equalising goal.

On Domenica Sportiva last weekend Marco Civoli claimed Andersen Hernanes' assists have been responsible for seven of the thirteen points which have put Lazio at the top of Serie A.

Earl of Leven
06-10-2010, 12:29
Lazio were determined to build a 40,000 all seater stadium last I heard....any news? Or are they as financially f***ed as everyone else?

One question carino: almost every deluded Arab or Oriental wants to piss money away in EPL with no hope of a return; why not Serie A? Unlike Spain or Germany there are no ownership models and most clubs would welcome cash, sponsorship etc.

16 DAVY 90
06-10-2010, 12:43

inter rejects ! some of what your having please

carino
06-10-2010, 14:28
Lazio were determined to build a 40,000 all seater stadium last I heard....any news? Or are they as financially f***ed as everyone else?

One question carino: almost every deluded Arab or Oriental wants to piss money away in EPL with no hope of a return; why not Serie A? Unlike Spain or Germany there are no ownership models and most clubs would welcome cash, sponsorship etc.
There has been much conversation from Lazio about a new stadium since 2001 but all I have seen so far are artists' impressions.

They also went through a period when they planned to move temporarily North-West to the Flaminia where rugby is played while the Olimpico was redeveloped but nothing came of that.

I have no idea why Arab cash is not attracted to Serie A because I think it would be welcomed especially by the bigger outfits who no longer benefit from negotiating their own TV deals.

The only serious Arab involvement that I am aware of in Serie A was Gaddafi whose son poured millions in to Juventus years back but failed to secure an invitation to play for them. He did however sign for Perugia.

Last season when rumour was rife that Il Cavaliere wanted to sell Milan Gaddafi's name cropped up again but nothing came of it and the only Arab involvment at Milan is the five year Emirates Air jersey sponsorship worth £14 million a season.

AFAIAA Juve are on course to use their new stadium from next season.

Earl of Leven
06-10-2010, 14:33
Roma are a great club and have been for sale for years....just seems odd they don't attract a flutter.

How does Juve stadium look?

Bonkle Bear
06-10-2010, 14:40
My Roma for the scudetto predicition looking good then !

Good to see Lazio looking like they have got their act together. Seems the pre -match eagle flying around the Olimpico that they have introduced is working wonders! They should have enough for a UEFA spot at least. Good point for Juve at the Meazza, I think Del Neri will get them into the Champions League and build a base to challenge Inter next year.

Samp continuing to draw with mid-table clubs which does not bode well for repeating last year's finish.

Sir Drake of Caicos
06-10-2010, 15:49
inter rejects ! some of what your having please

"Rejects" is of course a strong word, since I've listed two world class players in their day. My point was more of Milan signing players who've played for their rivals, ala our own Kenny Miller. We were all in uproar about that, but to me it seems like it's no big deal at AC Milan to sign a player who - when he was at his peak - played for their rivals.

I have no idea on the view of every Milan fan and can only give my view and that of others I know personally.

That view is if the player performs well where he came from is of no relevance.

Different mentality in Italy perhaps. But they don't have hateful WoS taigs to sour things ;)

carino
07-10-2010, 13:07
Cesare Prandelli has stated his aim is to take three points from Northern Ireland in Friday night's Euro qualifier.

In an attempt to do so he has selected the following 4 - 3 - 3 formation.

Viviano ( Bologna );

Cassani ( Palermo ), Bonucci, Chiellini, ( both Juventus ), Criscito ( Genoa );

De Rossi ( Roma ), Pirlo ( Milan ), Mauri ( Lazio );

Pepe ( Juventus ), Borriello ( Roma ), Cassano ( Sampdoria ).

carino
09-10-2010, 10:39
Northern Ireland 0, Italy 0.

Bad night for Italy who despite having much of the possession could not take the chances which came their way.

Probably the best chance of the evening fell to Northern Ireland's Healy who headed wide after some dreadful defending by Chiellini and Bonucci. Had Healy converted the header it would have given the home team the lead and may well have altered the course of the evening as Italy failed to seriously trouble Irish keeper Taylor.

What chances Italy created came the way of Borriello, Pepe and Pazzini but all seem to have left what goal grabbing talents they have at home.

Given their performance and a referee who might have awarded Northern Ireland at least one penalty kick, the visitors can count themselves lucky to leave Belfast with a point while the celebration of the Irish manager at the end of the game suggested he was not unhappy with the result.

MOTM was Andrea Pirlo for Italy while our own Steve Davis looked great for Northern Ireland.

Azzurri manager Cesare Prandelli was upbeat when interviewed by Rai Sport but suggested while more precision was required in the penalty area he was satisfied with the performance.

In reality Italy's performance was poor and, despite their greater possession and the 8 - 2 shots on target ratio in their favour, they have a long way to go to reach the heights of 2006.

Where they are going to find the players to implement an improvement is another matter and one which must be causing Prandelli some concern.

Thanks to Estonia's success in Belgrade Italy retain top spot in Group C by one point but now it is back to Coverciano and the drawing board to work out a way of defeating Serbia in Liguria on Tuesday evening to keep them there.

Of the other Serie A players involved last night the most notable performance came from my current favourite striker, Roma's Mirko Vucinic, who was on target in Montenegro's 1 - 0 win over Switzerland in Podgorica - I wish we could sign him!

TheBattleFever
27-10-2010, 18:04
Current league table

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/IanM85/SerieAtable.jpg?t=1288198827

Should Lazio be considered as serious title challengers?

Scotland11
27-10-2010, 18:05
Current league table

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/IanM85/SerieAtable.jpg?t=1288198827

Should Lazio be considered as serious title challengers?

No. It'll come down to Milan and Inter.

carino
28-10-2010, 15:04
http://i53.tinypic.com/20z5yr4.jpg

Current leaders Lazio travel to Palermo on Sunday hoping to consolidate their position at the top of the division. President Claudio Lotito is ambitious and his investments have paid of this season with Lichtsteiner, Ledesma, Mauri and Muslera outstanding so far. At seventh placed Palermo they will face an outfit which is going well and which has one of Serie A’s best players – twenty-year old Argentinean Javier Pastore.

It will be interesting to see if Lazio can maintain their momentum but this week’s prime attraction is Saturday evening’s “Real Derby D’Italia”© Adriano Galliani at the San Siro. Milan host Juventus and Luigi Del Neri’s men will be seeking to continue their recent climb up the league. Alexandre Pato will make his one hundredth appearance for Milan ( in all competitions ) and my hope is to see him add to his current tally of forty goals in what will be his eighty-second Serie A appearance - so no Ibrox for me this weekend!

Inter on the other hand have stumbled recently securing only five points from their last four outings, finding the net but twice in the process. Much of their problem stems from the failure of Diego Milito to find his last year form when everything he touched seemed to end in the net. Samuel Eto’o has hit a rich vein of form but has not done quite enough compensate for Milito’s mysterious decline. Benitez must be hoping Milito will start to deliver soon and has recalled him to the squad for the trip to Genoa which will be no cake walk for the Serie A title holders.

Napoli lost out against Milan at the San Paolo last Monday night ( unluckily IMO ) but with Cavani and Lavezzi ( scorer of a delightful goal against Milan ) in sparkling form should prove too much for third bottom Brescia.

Elsewhere look for Sampdoria to prevail away to the rapidly sinking Cesena while Udinese seek to carry on their recent resurgence with at least a draw at Bari.

Bonkle Bear
03-11-2010, 15:15
Berlusconi has revealed he tried to sign Alex Del Piero on Saturday night after the game !

"I said to Del Piero that I know his contract is up and then I offered him [the chance] to come to Milan."

Cassano saga rumbles on with Samp president Garrone said to be considering legal action against him for defamation of him, his company and Samp's sponsors.

TheBattleFever
03-11-2010, 15:41
Lazio win again to stay top of the table

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11862_6479396,00.html

Rome derby this weekend :cool:

Earl of Leven
03-11-2010, 16:03
Inter poor last night in defeat to Spurs.....Rafa going nowhere with them. They are back to what they were under Mancini...a decent, solid Serie A level outfit.

Roma travel to Basle and really need to win after the home defeat to Cluj whilst Milan entertain Real Madrid in tonight's classic tie.

Jelle1880
03-11-2010, 16:21
Lazio win again to stay top of the table

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11862_6479396,00.html

Rome derby this weekend :cool:

And I'll be there, right in between the Lazio Curva :D (Or a bit next to them :o)

El Guaje
07-11-2010, 14:17
Juve 1-0 down at home to Cesena. :D

TheBattleFever
07-11-2010, 16:15
Good weekend for the Rossoneri with both Lazio and Inter dropping points.

Bonkle Bear
08-11-2010, 12:14
A fairly poor Rome derby yesterday in all honesty. Lazio were worthy of a point on their second half showing and Roma were not particularly impressive after their great spell in the first. I would be surprised if either went on to mount a real scuddeto challenge now.

Lazio were not allowed to let the eagle mascot fly before the match for fear that Roma fans would try to hit it with missiles and fireworks. Read there were chants by Roma fans of "Where is the pigeon ?" at the end of the game :)

Lots of empty seats in the Lazio end as well (accept for the Curva Nord) Disappointing that they cannot sell out the ground for a derby when they are top of the league.

Earl of Leven
08-11-2010, 12:22
Bonkle
Maybe a few factors:

Crowd trouble, pricing, ID checks to buy tickets?

I don't know but last years 3 bears went to corresponding fixture (Roma at home) and it kicked off in that Main Stand facing cameras....the 'segregation' was non-existent. Maybe that was a factor?

Also it holds 80,000....so still a decent crowd all things considered.

But yes...should have been sold out.

Bonkle Bear
08-11-2010, 12:27
At the end of the game it sounded like Apocalypse Now with all the police helicopters over head ! I can imagine a lot of fans will be put off with the fear of violence at these games now but the atmosphere definitely fell a bit flat and in the long term that could be a big problem.

Borriello's weak penalty kind of summed up the game.

53easy
08-11-2010, 12:31
A fairly poor Rome derby yesterday in all honesty. Lazio were worthy of a point on their second half showing and Roma were not particularly impressive after their great spell in the first. I would be surprised if either went on to mount a real scuddeto challenge now.

Lazio were not allowed to let the eagle mascot fly before the match for fear that Roma fans would try to hit it with missiles and fireworks. Read there were chants by Roma fans of "Where is the pigeon ?" at the end of the game :)

Lots of empty seats in the Lazio end as well (accept for the Curva Nord) Disappointing that they cannot sell out the ground for a derby when they are top of the league.

Yesterday for me gave way to this daft notion that playing your rivals twice would increase the atmosphere at derby games

The Rome Derby should always be the night fixture.

Bonkle Bear
08-11-2010, 12:39
Just found this from Riccardo Rossi's excellent blog in 442

Already it had all the makings of another heated Derby della Capitale but it was a shame to see such wide open spaces along one side of the ground.

The running battles in the Tevere stand which marred last season’s corresponding fixture had left that area a no-man’s land, open only to Lazio season-ticket holders, children and the over-60s – and we wonder why the Italian game is not family-orientated

Three o’clock is no longer the traditional kick-off time for big games and despite one team being top of the league and the other coming off a win in the Champions League there seemed little enthusiasm among the locals to turn out in large numbers - and who can blame them.

There were the usual crowd disturbances along the Ponte Milvio after the game although the police claimed it ‘a success’ that only one fan had been stabbed, while another lost a finger trying to scale a wall into the stadium

Gasperini sacked as Genoa manager this morning. Failed to build on the success of two seasons back and struggled to replace Motta and Milito. Spent a lot of money also on players who haven't really cut it and are still in Samp's shadow :)

Former Lazio and Palermo coach Davide Ballardini takes charge.

carino
08-11-2010, 12:46
Bonkle
Maybe a few factors:

Crowd trouble, pricing, ID checks to buy tickets?

I don't know but last years 3 bears went to corresponding fixture (Roma at home) and it kicked off in that Main Stand facing cameras....the 'segregation' was non-existent. Maybe that was a factor?

Also it holds 80,000....so still a decent crowd all things considered.

But yes...should have been sold out.
I was in Milan last week for the Juventus and Madrid games Scotbear and both were as good as sold out.

Crowd trouble is not IMO a factor but wall to wall live coverage of every Serie A match most definitely is.

Proof of ID is a not a hassle at ticket purchase and only a minor hassle after the pre-filter turnstyles. At the San Siro there are so many entrances and cops doing the checks any delay is minimal.

High end tickets are costly but seats in the terzo annello for Milan games cost from €2 for kids to €14 for adults.

IMO TV and a reluctance to attend what are perceived as non-glamour games are the main reasons.

Neither are Milan attendances closely related to results because even in the golden years European Cup only glamour ties sold out and season ticket sales rarely exceed 42,000 – and with an attendance of 42,000 San Siro looks empty on TV especially if the majority are in the terzo annello.

carino
08-11-2010, 18:00
Full Serie A card on Wednesday evening with all games covered live by the usual TV channels.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2lmrvaq.jpg

Juventus should prevail at Brescia even though the quality gap between top and bottom seems to be narrowing ( based primarily on perceived lesser lights adopting a sit in and counter-attack philosophy ). Brescia did exactly that and succeeded in holding Inter to a draw at the San Siro at the weekend. It could be argued Brescia were unlucky not to leave the San Siro with all three points as the Inter equaliser came from an Eto’o penalty which interminable post-match analysis proved Eto'o slipped and was not fouled.

Inter make the journey to the taco where they will face Lecce without the services of goalkeeper Julio Cesar, full back Maicon, central defender Samuel ( out for the season ) and midfielders Stankovic, Muntari, Thiago Motta and Mariga. Sneidjer left the field at the interval against Brescia but is expected to be fit for Wednesday.

Add to that lot the apparent inability of Diego Milito to hit the net even from five metres and Inter’s problems become very apparent. The nine points dropped in their last six games indicates the extent of their problems.

It will be interesting to see if they can dispose of struggling Lecce.

Milan also have a tricky task as they entertain Palermo at the San Siro without the injured Antonini, Bonera and Oddo along with Gattuso who is suspended. Palermo did well against an admittedly struggling Genoa who came to defend but with Miccoli, Nocerino and the outstanding Bovo and Pastore in their line up they will be no pushover. Three points for Milan would be nice for us who support them and would set them up nicely for Sunday night’s ‘away’ Madonnina. I am looking forward to that!

Sampdoria travel to Parma without Cassano who despite a snivelling apology to owner Riccardo Garrone will not travel. There is only going to be one winner in that spat. Samp should however prevail and maintain their fifth slot.

Roma fresh from their derby win over Lazio entertain Fiorentina who will be without influential midfielder Riccardo Montolivo who has gone to Amsterdam for surgery. Roma will have Totti restored to the side after suspension and with Vucinic on from should should win the game.

Otherwise Wednesday is a very mundane card ahead of a promising weekend which will see the Madonnina derby, Roma – Juventus and Lazio – Napoli. Excellent stuff which could shake up the top of the league.

carino
11-11-2010, 11:19
All change at the top of Serie A after last night’s games as Juventus and Inter draw while early leaders Lazio collapsed at third bottom Cesena. Does the fact that Juventus, Inter and Lazio’s opponents last night are in sixteenth, fourteenth and eighteenth places respectively mean the quality gap between top and bottom is closing? Or does it mean that quality at the top is diminishing? Recent European results tend to confirm the latter.

It seems clear that the shift from clubs negotiating individual domestic TV deals to collective negotiation is having an adverse effect on top clubs and their ability to be effective in European competition while not enabling former lesser lights to be especially effective outside the domestic arena.

Hilarity was provided by Artur Boruc last night in his second Serie A start for Fiorentina – watch the third Roma goal in the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8TGmSx620k

With regular keeper Frey out till March Fiorentina manager Mihajlovic must be concerned!

Last night results:

http://i52.tinypic.com/21d3lzt.jpg

Weekend fixtures:

http://i51.tinypic.com/krxox.jpg

Big night coming on Sunday as Inter try to get back on track in the Madonnina after having dropped eleven points in their last seven games. Their cause is not being helped by the continuing ill health of Wesley Sneijder who is reported to be suffering listlessness due to ‘anaemia’ – whatever that is. The good news for their fans however is Diego Milito ended his barren spell by finding the net last night against Lecce.

Milan go in to the game in much better form though the 3 – 1 scoreline in last night’s San Siro outing against Palermo flattered them greatly. The game was deadlocked at 1 – 1 when a dubious penalty decision allowed Ibrahimovic to restore Milan’s lead with Robinho adding to the total after a great run from the Swede..

Milan will have Gattuso available after a one game suspension but to counter that playmaker Andrea Pirlo is very doubtful with a thigh injury.

Difficult to call this one but a great night is in prospect in the sold out San Siro and a win for Milan would make up for our disappointing failure to cash in on Celtic’s Tynecastle reverse last night and make the trip to the Gran’ Milan worthwhile - means missing out on Aberdeen at Ibrox but perhaps after suffering last night’s torture that could be a nail biting experience.

Roma travel to Torino on Saturday evening hoping to continue their winning ways while Juventus must get over their disappointing result at Brescia if their title challenge is not to falter.

Another cracker awaits at the Olimpico on Sunday as second place Napoli travel to face second slot holders Lazio. The 1230 CET kick - off for that is not to be missed.

Bonkle Bear
11-11-2010, 11:26
Big win for Roma last night. They are not out the Scudetto chase despite the awful start. Should be a good game on Saturday night with the Milan derby the following night.

Jelle1880
11-11-2010, 11:26
The reason Lazio did not sell out their ground (There was also more room in the Roma end) is because thousands of Ultras did not go (And have not been going for months now) in response to the Tessera.
Several of them also got lifted on sunday morning at their houses, for no reason what so ever.

This also caused for the lack of atmosphere (Although if that Curva Nord all sing it's seriously intimidating).

However, I'm sold, I had a great time despite the result and will definitely be going back to Rome's first team ;)

TheBattleFever
11-11-2010, 16:59
Pippo Inzaghi to miss the rest of the season after suffering cruciate ligament damage

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/11112010/2/inzaghi-set-miss-season-career-under-threat.html

This could very well spell the end of his career

Earl of Leven
11-11-2010, 17:06
Napoli eh? Eh? Eh?

Outsiders but would love to see them fight for title all the way to the wire.

El Guaje
11-11-2010, 17:07
Pippo Inzaghi to miss the rest of the season after suffering cruciate ligament damage

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/11112010/2/inzaghi-set-miss-season-career-under-threat.html

This could very well spell the end of his career

:(

One of my favourite ever players. What a striker.

carino
12-11-2010, 18:12
Italian players have voted for strike action in their on-going dispute with La Lega Calcio. Players say the date of the action will be announced on 30 November – I’ll believe it when I see it.

Latest reported injury situation for the Madonnina is:

Inter have Samuel, Maicon and Muntari out with Julio Cesar, Cambiasso, Suazo and Mariga and Thiago Motta doubtful.

Milan will definitely be without Inzaghi, Bonera, Oddo and Pato while Pirlo, Zambrotta and Thiago Silva are doubtful.

A win for Milan would be their first in an ‘away’ derby since 2005 but it would also put them six points ahead of Benitez’ outfit this early in the season.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2z3njtf.jpg

Inzaghi – out for the season.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2r3cnio.jpg

Pato – out for six weeks.

TheBattleFever
12-11-2010, 18:18
Italian players have voted for strike action in their on-going dispute with La Lega Calcio. Players say the date of the action will be announced on 30 November – I’ll believe it when I see it.

Latest reported injury situation for the Madonnina is:

Inter have Samuel, Maicon and Muntari out with Julio Cesar, Cambiasso, Suazo and Mariga and Thiago Motta doubtful.

Milan will definitely be without Inzaghi, Bonera, Oddo and Pato while Pirlo, Zambrotta and Thiago Silva are doubtful.

A win for Milan would be their first in an ‘away’ derby since 2005 but it would also put them six points ahead of Benitez’ outfit this early in the season.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2z3njtf.jpg

Inzaghi – out for the season.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2r3cnio.jpg

Pato – out for six weeks.

Carino, are you confident that Milan can win the scudetto this year? It is definitely there for the taking IMO, they could possibly do with bringing in a couple of players in January though.

carino
12-11-2010, 19:11
Carino, are you confident that Milan can win the scudetto this year? It is definitely there for the taking IMO, they could possibly do with bringing in a couple of players in January though.
Milan are more likely Scudetto material this season than they have been since the last time they won it in 2003/04 but how much that has to do with the decline of others or on Milan’s improvement is a matter of opinion.

Inter have shaded this season but another major factor is the apparent narrowing of the gap between top and bottom. The latest in that saga was Parma beating Sampdoria last night which coming after Inter and Juventus struggling at the weekend and Milan’s earlier reverse at Cesena for example suggests a levelling of quality.

It may be this is due to domestic TV cash being distributed more evenly as opposed to the previous arrangement of clubs negotiating individual deals which certainly favoured the ‘bigger’ clubs.

I am cautiously confident Milan will deliver but not to the extent of putting the house on it!

Milan do need to strengthen, especially in defence, and to that end Ariedo Braida is currently in Brazil monitoring potential additions, most prominently Cruizero terzino Jonathan. The downside with Jonathan is he is not of Italian descent and does not qualify for an EU passport.

Benfica’s Coentrao is also allegedly on Braida’s radar but IMO he will prove too expensive for Berlusconi’s current financial strategy.

1690owl
18-11-2010, 16:19
now that gasperini has gone, have genoa abandoned the 3-4-3 formation and gone back to 4-4-2? whats the latest with rannochia is he going back to inter already?

carino
23-11-2010, 12:23
Quality striker but serial whinger and simulator Samuel Eto’o has been fined €30,000 and banned for three Serie A games for a petulant but essentially powder puff head butt to the chest of Chievo’s Bostjan Cesar last Sunday. Match officials missed the incident but unfortunately for Eto’o Sky Italia’s HD cameras did not.

The Eto’o suspension till January 2011 means big problems for Inter who already have Coutinho, Chivu, Mariga, Julio Cesar, Milito, Muntari, Maicon, Thiago Motta, Obi, Samuel and Suazo injured.

All of this gives Benitez, who has not had the best of luck since arriving at Appiano Gentile, serious selection problems for tomorrow night’s Champions League outing against FC Twente.

In the Champions League tonight Milan face Auxerre, who are currently placed tenth in their domestic competition, without Antonini, Pirlo, Oddo, Inzaghi and Pato.

Roma who take on already qualified Bayern Munich at the Olimpico will be without Taddei, Perrotta and possibly Okaka.

The longest sanction handed out yesterday was to Lecce’s Uruguyan striker Ernesto Chevanton who was suspended for five Serie A game for a serious off the ball assault on an opponent and abuse of the referee.

carino
30-11-2010, 02:32
Inter squad for the World Club Championship to be played in Abu Dhabi from 8 thru’ 18 December.

Julio Cesar, Castellazzi, Orlandoni;

Cordoba, Zanetti, Lucio, Maicon, Materazzi, Chivu, Benedetti, Santon;

Stankovic, Thiago Motta, Sneijder, Muntari, Mariga, Cambiasso, Nwankwo;

Eto’o, Milito, Pandev, Alibec, Biabiany.

Inter’s opposition in the tournament will be:

From Africa: TP Mazembe Englebert ( Congo ).

From Asia: Al-Wahda sports Club ( Abu Dhabi ), Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma FC ( Korea ).

From North and Central America: Pachuca ( Mexico ).

From Oceania: Hekari United ( Papua New Guinea ).

From South America: SC Iternational. ( Brazil ).

carino
01-12-2010, 10:18
Serie A players have given notice of strike action on 11 / 12 December.

Main points of contention are clubs wanting to move unwanted players to another club ( on the same financial terms ) for the last year of the ri contract.

Clubs also want the right to prevent unwanted or unsettled players training with the first team squad.

Jelle1880
01-12-2010, 10:23
Will this have an impact on the Coppa games ?

carino
01-12-2010, 10:43
Will this have an impact on the Coppa games ?
AFAIK only these games will be affected it the strike goes ahead.

http://i53.tinypic.com/34nrtci.jpg

Inter are not scheduled to play Cesena till Wednesday 19 December due to their involvement in the Club World Cup in Abu Dhabi.

Jelle1880
01-12-2010, 10:54
Good, that means Lazio can put everything on the Inter game, and then the Coppa game against Roma :p

carino
05-12-2010, 11:59
On Friday night Inter struggled against an increasingly impressive Lazio outfit and the 1 – 3 defeat means they have taken only five points from their last six games. The ten man strong injury list which includes Maicon, Chivu, Milito and Samuel is proving a severe handicap as their title holes recede pro-rata with the gap between them and the table top which is now a massive ten points. January reinforcements are urgently required but Moratti is as yet non-committal about that.

Playing on a surface which resembled a ploughed field Roma came out of the traps swiftly and raced in to a two goal lead courtesy of Simplicio but in the second half Chievo with Moscardelli outstanding mounted a spirited fight back to share the points – Moscardelli in sixty-one minutes and Granoche with seven minutes remaining provided the goals.

A superb all round performance from Milan in general and Ibrahimovic in particular ensured an easy win over an admittedly poor Brescia. Boateng playing as a trequartista was excellent and improves with every game ( not even close to a Baggio or even a Totti but at twenty-three is showing promise ). The return of master regista Pirlo, even if a tad rusty after his injury lay off, was a welcome bonus. Boateng, Robinho and Ibrahimovic ( with a pile driving stunner ) saw the Allegri’s men take a half time lead and the second half assumed the air of a Milanello training stint for the rossoneri.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2iqiv60.jpg

Boateng goal celebration.

NATERFC1
06-12-2010, 01:53
Can't see past AC for the league, maybe Juve who are improving, watched them tonight and they were excellent, but what about Lazio? What a season they are having i fancy them to finish above Roma in the top 3 and they will be lucky to hang onto Reja and Hernanes.

carino
06-12-2010, 03:17
Can't see past AC for the league, maybe Juve who are improving, watched them tonight and they were excellent, but what about Lazio? What a season they are having i fancy them to finish above Roma in the top 3 and they will be lucky to hang onto Reja and Hernanes.
Juventus have improved greatly since the departure of older players in the summer but Del Neri told Sky Italia last night he is hoping for reinforcements in January. Juve were excellent last night and Quagliarella had a perfectly good goal disallowed but consistency has been their problem.

I saw the them dismantle Milan in the San Siro recently with no great difficulty but their Europa Cup exploits have been less than successful. They will be there or thereabouts when the prize is handed out.

Lazio are a surprise package with much of their success flowing from Hernanes and their dismantling of Inter has not done a lot for the future of Benitez at Appiano Gentile. Rafa has been unlucky with injuries but already word is Moratti is looking around and will increase his efforts if Inter fail to emulate Milan in bringing the World Club Championship back from Abu Dhabi later his month.

With Inzaghi out and Pato ever more injury prone Milan are on the look out for a striker and amongst names being murmured sotto voce are Maccarone who is out of favour at Palermo, Guiseppe Rossi and, believe it or not, Cassano. Mario Balotelli is still in Galliani’s sights but not for January. Galliani has other players in mind for the summer and the club’s director general Arieda Braida is currently in Argentina with FIFA agent Davide Lippi where the target is River Plate’s eighteen year old trequartista Erik Lamela.

Interesting ‘fourth place’ contest at the San Paolo tonight when Napoli host Palermo. With talent like Hamsik, Lavezzi, Pastore, Cavani and Bovo on show it will be worth watching.

Jelle1880
06-12-2010, 06:14
Saw the Lazio v Inter game.
Hernanes and Zaraté were amazing, especially the Brazilian who pretty much destroyed Inter by himself.

carino
07-12-2010, 01:51
Napoli battered Palermo for ninety-five minutes last night before Christian Maggio netted a last minute winner after sterling build-up work from Hamsik and Cavani.

Maggio’s execution of the goal was a tad fortunate but it gave Napoli a well deserved three points which lets them share third place with Juventus.

Only downside for Napoli was the early departure of one of the main reasons for their current success, Ezequiel Lavezzi, with what appeared to be the re-occurrence of a troublesome ankle injury.

Palermo, set up defensively by Delio Rossi, were disappointing especially the Argentinean / Croat duo of Javier Pastore and Josip Ilcic.

Great rejoicing at the San Paolo and here is one of many crazy but great Napoli songs to celebrate the upturn in the club’s fortunes which has been inspired by film producer Aurelio De Laurentiis:

YOUTUBE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne_GPnXHGAA)

Jelle1880
07-12-2010, 04:26
That guy is incredible.

'Oh look, the team is struffling, let me see if I can find a big bag of money to strengthen the team' :D

carino
09-12-2010, 11:06
Milan faced Ajax last knowing that topping their CL group was beyond them but second place was guaranteed and their abysmal performance reflected the situation - they were outplayed by an Ajax outfit which bossed the game from start to finish.

What Barbara Berlusconi who watched with Adriano Galliani told her dad after the game is anyone’s guess but it could not have been positive. Ronaldinho was given a starting slot but contributed nothing, Robinho was invisible and it was only when Ibrahimovic joined the fray as a substitute that Milan threatened but by then it was too late.

MOTM was Ajax midfielder Christian Eriksen who the Sky Italia commentator assured us is only eighteen – one to watch!

Another youngster, Alexander Merkel, made his CL debut for Milan last night. The Belarus born but formerly German based eighteen year old midfielder looks the part but had little time to display his skills.

Another downside on a dismal evening for the rossoneri was seeing Mathieu Flamini leaving the filed with a knee injury which will rule him out for this weekend.

Much improvement is required from Milan if they are to take anything from their 1130 Sunday kick off at Bologna.

Roma also secured second place in their group thanks to a draw with Cluj scoring first via Marco Borriello but, just like did last weekend against Chievo, were unable to hold out for the win.

Inter progressed in the CL despite their 3 – 0 gubbing by Werder Bremen on Tuesday and are now in Abu Dhabi contesting the Club World Cup. Ominously for Rafa Benitez Massimo Moratti is running out of patience and was especially disgruntled with the result in Bremen.

In an interview with Sky Italia Moratti steered clear of demanding a win in Abu Dhabi claiming he did not want to upset matters before an important tournament but the writing appears on the wall for Benitez if he fails to take the trophy back to Appiano Gentile – and maybe even if he does.

Inter, Milan and Roma will all feature in the Champions League in the new year but as they all limped in there is little to suggest any of them will feature at Wembley on 28 May next year.

None of Italy’s representatives in the Europa League, Juventus, Napoli, and Sampdoria made it out of the group stage and will play no further part in the competition.

All of which adds up to a poor performance by Italian clubs in Europe this season which when added to the National side’s performance in South Africa confirms there is much room for improvement at all levels of the game on the peninsula.

Former Milan star Demetrio Albertini now a VP with the FIGC claims progress has been made in talks to avert the threatened player strike this weekend. A formal announcement on the issue is expected later today.

carino
09-12-2010, 22:02
The Serie A player strike which was scheduled for 11 & 12 December has been called off.

carino
10-12-2010, 10:32
Sky further tightened their grip on European football when via Sky Italia they secured the Italian rights to four of the five available live TV packages for the Champions League from seasons 2012 – 2015. It would not however be Italy if there was no polemic and Silvio Berlusconi’s Mediaset has already launched an anti-trust type action with the authorities. The action will not succeed but it may drive down the wholesale price Sky Italia charges for its content.

Italian rights for the Europa League for the same period have not been awarded as UEFA has yet to receive an acceptable bid.

Napoli’s last gasp win over Palermo last Monday came at a cost. One of the reasons for their success this season, Argentinean Ezequiel Lavezzi, suffered a re-occurrence of an old ankle injury and will miss the game against Genoa on Saturday evening.

Milan also have injury problems for their trip to Bologna. Mathieu Flamini damaged his knee against Ajax and is likely to be out for four weeks. Worse news is the knee damage sustained by central defender Thiago Silva in the same game. Silva, who has been immense this season, has flown to Brazil for a consultation with Jose Luiz Runco the Brazil national team doctor. If the Silva injury is in any way serious it will be a devastating blow to Milan’s title challenge.

Milan Directer General Ariedo Braida has left Argentina after running the rule over River Plate’s Erik Lamela. Braida is said to have been impressed and will now discuss with CEO Adriano Galliani the possibility and extent of a bid for the player.

Inter owner Massimo Moratti was at Appiano Gentile yesterday for a meeting with the players prior to them flying to Abu Dhabi this morning for the World Club Championship. Moratti spelled out the importance of the trophy to Inter and not solely for the future of the manager. Fabio Capello the England manager will be at the tournament but Moratti stressed that his presence was not related to the future of Rafael Benitez.

Injury hit Inter may seek to strengthen in January and are reported to be interested in Roma’s Montenegro striker Mirko Vucinic - that is a player I would like very much to see at Ibrox.

Jelle1880
10-12-2010, 10:55
Juventus - Lazio on sunday, should be a cracker.

Bonkle Bear
10-12-2010, 11:24
Moratti threatening to sack Benitez in December if he fails to win the WCC seems a bit harsh. Brazil's SC Internacional will be very difficult opponents for Inter given their current form. Lying joint 6th in the table with Roma (who made an abysmal start) and Samp (who seem to draw with everyone) is an extremely poor showing for European Champions.

The Scudetto chase is looking like it's going to be very exciting with all of the top 6 being capable of beating each other on any given day. Still think Roma and Ranieri will be the strongest team going into the last few months and will end up winners. Juve looking good at the moment and Quagliarella looks to have now settled in quite nicely in Turin. Lazio, Napoli and Palermo cannot be fully counted out of the race either.

Bonkle Bear
11-12-2010, 22:46
Napoli win 1-0 at Genoa without Lavezzi. Look like genuine contenders for the Scudetto at present, being 3points behind Milan. Palermo winning 3-1 after going a goal down at home to Parma. What a job Dellio Rossi is doing there as well.
Udinese beat Fiorentina at home also.

carino
14-12-2010, 12:13
Big night at the Teatro Nuovo in Piazza San Babila for the AC Milan Christmas Show.

http://i53.tinypic.com/1g2joj.jpg
Zlatan and his missus - Helena Seger.

http://i54.tinypic.com/wvnx9d.jpg
Milan director elect Barbara Berlusconi and husband.

http://i51.tinypic.com/5po6zb.jpg
The greatest ever libero – Franco Baresi:

Elsewhere the tribunal for the Cassano / Sampdoria polemic confirmed it will publish its decision by 16 December. One thing is however certain – Cassano will not play again for Sampdoria. Previously suggested destinations for the talented, but troublesome character, Parma and Palermo, have indicated they have no intention of signing the player. Similarly Juventus CEO Beppe Marotta and Lazio owner Claudio Lotito confirmed they have no interest in the bold Antonio!

Word is that Inter, who face Korean outfit Seongnam on Wednesday in the Club World Cup, may sign big in January to counter their injury problems. A longer term target for the Appiano Gentile outfit is eighteen year old Dutch kid Luc Castaignos currently with Feyenoord.

Milan CEO Adriano Galliani has told Sky Italia there is no chance of Milan moving for Carlos Teves.

Edging closer to an exit from Milanello is Ronaldinho who is having a problem getting a start from Allegri. The twin strike force of Ibrahimovic and Robinho with trequartista Boateng behind them is proving difficult to dislodge – a goal from each in the last two 3 – 0 wins has secured their places for a bit. So Ronaldinho who arrived with a great fanfare in 2008 may be about to leave via the service door – possibly as early as January.

Milan face Roma at the weekend but may be without Gattuso and Zambrotta both of whom took knocks against Bologna.

Napoli owner Aurelio De Laurentis told a press conference for his latest movie hit: “Natale in Sud Africa” that as well as a new deal for Paolo Cannavaro he is looking to sign a left sided defender in January and, for June, a central defender, midfielder and a striker – ambitious is Signor De Laurentis!

The weekend fixtures:

http://i52.tinypic.com/91f78x.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/143g9w8.jpg

carino
16-12-2010, 17:36
Leaks from the arbitration council deciding on the dispute between Antonio Cassano and Sampdoria suggest the player will have his contract reinstated with the club from 1 January but his salary will be halved. Sampdoria had wanted to cancel the contract completely.

Since the dispute with Samp owner Riccardo Garrone rumours have persisted connecting the player with a move to Inter or Milan.

The latest on that from ANSA:

Ufficiale o quasi infatti il ritiro della trattativa dell'Inter, come confermato dallo stesso Massimo Moratti ad Abu Dhabi: "Cassano? Al momento questo discorso non sta in piedi".

L'Inter si allontana quindi, in maniera inversamente proporzionale a quanto invece si avvicina il Milan. Adriano Galliani continua a ripetere che se il mercato desse ai rossoneri l'opportunità di acquistare un attaccante di primo livello il club è pronto a cogliere l'occasione.

Almost officially removed from the deal are Inter whose owner Massimo Moratti said in Abu Dhabi: “Cassano? For the moment the suggestion has no foundation”. In inverse proportion to the Inter move Milan appear to move closer. Adriano Galliani continues to say that if a suitable opportunity to buy a striker arises the club is ready to do so.

In an interview with Sky Italia Robinho confirmed he would be delighted if his former Real Madrid team mate joined him at Milanello.

ESPN has the meaningless Juventus – Manchester City Europa League group game tonight which signals the end of Euro competition this season for the home side – expect an attendance of about 3,000!

Napoli will however be playing in Europe in the New Year thanks to a late, late Cavani winner against Steaua last night.

Bonkle Bear
16-12-2010, 22:38
Quite pleased with the Cassano ruling though it was never going to end well for anyone. Madrid still owe Milan money for Kaka and there is some belief that this could be used to buy out the remaining €5m that Madrid are owed from Samp.

Describing the Chairman who helped resurrect your career as a 'Shitty, old Man' and calling his team mates 'arse lickers' sums him up and he has let down the fans yet again. One of my favourites to watch and his behaviour is highly entertaining but he clearly pushed them too far. What an absolute waste of talent he will be.

Cassano teaming up with Zlatan would be worth seeing though. You almost feel sorry for Allegri have as many dysfunctional players forced on him by Berlusconi and Galliani.

It will all end in tears at Milanello if this does go through.

Edit - some suggestion tonight that Cassano's agent and Galliani have agreed a deal for a contract until 2014 and Cassano will team up with Milan at their winter training camp in Dubai on 27th December.

Ronaldinho tipped to move (possibly to LA Galaxy or back to Brazil)

carino
17-12-2010, 01:21
http://i53.tinypic.com/9gyck3.jpg

Sky Italia - Antonio Cassano has moved to Milan on a three and a half year contract till June 2014. Cassano will earn a net €3 million per year before bonuses.

The deal was concluded between Milan’s Adriano Galliani and Cassano’s agent Beppe Bozzo over dinner at Il Consolare Ristorante in Milan’s Via Ciovasso which is no stranger to mega calcio deals. Negotiations between Galliani and Sampdoria owner Riccardo Garrone were conducted by telephone.

Where Cassano will fit in Allegri’s 4 – 3 – 1 – 2 formation with Boateng in the trequartista role and Pirlo moved from the centre to the left of midfield is a big question.

Only the passage of time will reveal the wisdom or otherwise of the move but Galliani’s ability to sign top class players at knock down prices is impressive. Pato, Robinho, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho, Boateng and now Cassano is a reasonable sprinkling of stars though Ronaldinho is almost certainly now on the way out via, as suggested in an earlier post, the service door.

Next up on the Galliani list of cut price deals?..Word is Mario Balotelli in June 2011!

Cassano is unlikely to sit quietly on the bench in a rotation system but any resort to tantrums will soon have him discovering there is only one boss at Milanello, Il Cavaliere Berlusconi - interesting times.

Ahead of tomorrow’s World Club Championship Final against Mazemba Inter with Inter Club UAE hosted a three hour “Wivi Inter” festa in the Yas Hotel Abu Dhabi for more than 150 expatriate fans.

Wesley Sneijder who damaged a thigh muscle in the semi-final of the competition is unlikely to be fit for the game.

Good Luck Inter - Italian calcio needs a boost.

carino
17-12-2010, 10:47
The Juventus – Manchester City game last night was an entirely predictable and poorly attended non-event but it did see the Europa Cup debut of Filippo Boniperti who took the place of Traore in the second half.

The nineteen year old with the famous name is the grandson of the great Juventus forward Giampiero Boniperti who after retiring from playing became club president and an Italian MP.

Boniperti was top Juventus goalscorer of all time till Alessandro Del Piero overtook his tally of 178 in 2006.

Juve fans will be hoping Boniperti who has two Under-19 caps even approaches the level of his granddad.

Giampero Boniperti on Juventus Channel: "When I was a boy I dreamed of playing one game for Juventus. In the end I played 462 and now at the age of eighty-two I have seen my grandson wear the same shirt - I am content"

Earl of Leven
17-12-2010, 11:00
One Italian club through in Europa League from four....how is that being viewed in Italy?

Fairly poor return.

carino
17-12-2010, 11:44
One Italian club through in Europa League from four....how is that being viewed in Italy?

Fairly poor return.
The current low ebb of Italian football plus the poor performance of the Azzurri in South Africa having four teams in Europe after the New Year holiday is being viewed as better than expected.

Given early season form of Italy’s Europa League participants I did not expect any of them to come out of the groups and neither did Italian based journalists – in the end only the ninety-fifth minute strike by Cavani at the San Paolo on Wednesday prevented that doomsday scenario.

Reaction in the media and amongst fans can not be described as one of satisfaction but given events in South Africa last summer there is an air of: “It could have been worse”.

Earl of Leven
17-12-2010, 11:48
And is anyone confident of Italy securing a Euro championship soon? They need a 'kick start' re stadiums etc.

Example I often use is Udinese...great fans, greta ultras....but in a 49,000 stadium. Totally lost and atmosphere drifts into the air.

Strangely ESPN coverage indicates that the game is very watchable. But...the apathy is apparent also. Fans voting with feet and tactics seem dated. Needs a shot in the arm in next year or two.

How are they doing at youth level?

TheBattleFever
17-12-2010, 12:06
Intersting to see Cassano signing for Milan, maybe, just maybe, he will now have the platform to really live up to his potential.

carino
17-12-2010, 13:29
And is anyone confident of Italy securing a Euro championship soon? They need a 'kick start' re stadiums etc.

Example I often use is Udinese...great fans, greta ultras....but in a 49,000 stadium. Totally lost and atmosphere drifts into the air.

Strangely ESPN coverage indicates that the game is very watchable. But...the apathy is apparent also. Fans voting with feet and tactics seem dated. Needs a shot in the arm in next year or two.

How are they doing at youth level?
Italy bid for the 2016 Euro finals but lost out to France and I have neither read or heard of further bidding plans.

Had their bid been successful renovation of stadiums at Bari, Cesena, Naples, Parma, Udine and Verona was planned with new stadiums scheduled for Cagliari, Florence and Palermo. The Olimpico and San Siro were to be have revamped and the new Juventus stadium is still scheduled for completion for season 2010 – 2011.

Other than the usual noises from Galliani and Moratti about new stadiums which are designed IMO solely to make the Commune di Milano spend more on the San Siro there is little happening on the ground.

The collective TV deal for domestic TV cash is still having an impact but results suggest lower level clubs are beginning to benefit from the additional revenue – even of in some cases it means borrowing on the strength of it.

The downside is previous recipients of the bulk of the cash under the individual deal arrangement, Inter, Milan and Juventus are having to source revenue elsewhere. That is perhaps reflected in the failure of any Italian side to win their Champions League group.

The failure of the Azzurri under-21 side to progress to the later stags of the current Euro competition suggests youth policy on the peninsula has a bit to go but it is difficult to predict how things will pan out.

Milan for example have thirty young players of varying nationalities on loan to other Serie A clubs plus boys teams form under nine upwards but very few of those seem to make it all the way to a regular first team slot.

carino
17-12-2010, 14:00
http://i54.tinypic.com/6r4kcx.jpg

Allegri: “Tottenham are strong but for the moment I am thinking about Roma”.

The rossoneri manager is satisfied with the Nyon outcome: “Given who we could have drawn they are one of the less tricky opponents. I would say they concede something in defence”.

Earl of Leven
17-12-2010, 14:05
Spurs v Milan will NOT be two 0-0 draws!!!

Milan will score but I feel Spurs will too......Roma should beat Shakhtar, but they are unpredictable.

Bonkle Bear
17-12-2010, 15:04
Intersting to see Cassano signing for Milan, maybe, just maybe, he will now have the platform to really live up to his potential.

He will do his usual and have a few good games then blow up over something, take the huff and be shipped on somewhere else. Milan seem hellbent on assembling a squad of undesirable characters to rival Man City's. No surprise when 'career criminal' Berlusconi is running the show though. Although he could soon have more time to focus on running Milan over the next few months.

carino
17-12-2010, 17:29
Calcio would not be calcio and Italy would not be Italy if things ran smoothly – especially transfers!

Despite reports of a done deal from all sides last night Adriano Galliani has indicated the Cassano deal is not yet concluded:

Cassano al Milan, non è ancora fatta. E il Milan non ha intenzione di pagare i cinque milioni di euro al Real Madrid.

Cassano to Milan. Not yet done. Milan has no intention of paying the five million Euros due to Real Madrid.

Berlusconi made a bullish response to a French reporter when asked about the Champions league draw. The Milan owner responded in French hence the sub-titles for Italian TV:

http://i53.tinypic.com/24ffghi.jpg

Tottenham?...A good draw we play well against strong opponents. Asked about Cassano he replied: “I like Ronaldinho”.

Somehow I can not envisage David Cameron fielding questions about his football team when on Prime Ministerial duties!

Ranieri’s convocati for the trip to San Siro tomorrow night:

Julio Sergio, Cicinho, Castellini, Juan, Mexes, Adriano, Totti, Taddei, De Rossi, Riise, Greco, Burdisso, Fabio, Simplicio, Doni, Brighi, Alex pena, Cassetti, Rosi, Okaka, Menez.

It is a big plus for Milan that Mirko Vucinic is still injured – not so good for this viewer who is a big fan of the striker from Montenegro.

Allegri has selected the following for the game:

Abbiati, Amelia, Abate, Antonini, Bonera, Montelongo, Nesta, Oddo, Yepes, Ambrosini, Boateng, Gattuso, Merkel, Pirlo, Seedorf, Strasser, Ibrahimovic, Robinho, Ronaldinho.

Notable injury absences are Papastathopoulos, Thiago Silva, Onyewu, Zambrotta, Flamini, Inzaghi, Pato.

Bonkle Bear
19-12-2010, 11:02
Milan Roma was one of the worst games of football I have ever sat through. Sky+ it and watched the Barca game first which probably didn't help !

Only positives I can see Milan taking from that were that Gattuso still can play the defensive midfield role well and snap away at other midfielders in the middle of the park even at his age. Nesta also looked quite good but apart from that they were absolutely awful. Ibra looks as if he has trouble understanding the offside rule and gave oone of the most infuriating performances I have seen from him.

Roma were only slightly better and deserved to score when they did, although they had been awful in the first half. Adriano had a decent game but he is no-where near the level of player he once was and looks as if the only attribute he had managed to hold on to is his close control. Borriello played quite well but Roma badly missed Vucinic and Ranieri decided to keep Totti on the bench for the whole game. The highlight of the match was De Rossi's volley from 30 yards, that Abbiati touched over, which seemed to wake everyone up.

On that performance Spurs will cause Milan a lot of problems especially if the play at a high tempo. Milan seemed lethargic and played like an old team going through the motions. Pirlo's injury early on did not help.

I'm honestly starting to believe that the likes of Napoli and Lazio can go on and win this league espeically if Internazionale play the same way in the second half of the season as they have in the first. It's wide open at this stage.

Bonkle Bear
19-12-2010, 16:08
Some excellent late drama this afternoon.

Napoli win against Lecce in the 93rd minute through Cavani yet again. Lecce had a shot cleared off the line moments before. Napoli are joint second with Lazio

Pellissier scoring for Chievo against ten man Juve in the 92nd minute. The goal was coming but Krasic missed a golden opportunity to put them 2-0 when he rounded the keeper and hit his shot off the bar and over. Juve drop down to 4th.

thepower
19-12-2010, 18:34
Gutted that Sampdoria - Genoa has been called off

foxtrot
19-12-2010, 19:31
http://sport.sky.it/static/contentimages/original/sezioni/sport/calcio_italiano/2010/12/19/derby_sampdoria_genoa_rinviato_000_ansa.jpg

Kilwinnin Bluenose
19-12-2010, 20:53
Gutted that Sampdoria - Genoa has been called off

Was looking forward to that!:(

Bonkle Bear
19-12-2010, 20:54
Look at those Genoa bastards banner as well. :mad:

NATERFC1
20-12-2010, 00:59
Lazio win again :) Late og keeps them in the hunt. Cavani's goal for Napoli is simply ridiculous as is the commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUC2MFIqq1o&feature=player_embedded#!

1 AC Milan 17 16 36
2 Napoli 17 9 33
3 Lazio 17 8 33
4 Juventus 17 15 31
5 Roma 17 2 29
6 Palermo 17 7 27
7 Inter Milan 15 6 23
8 Sampdoria 16 5 23
9 Udinese 17 0 23
10 Chievo 17 -1 21
11 Genoa 16 -2 21
12 Catania 17 -4 21
13 Cagliari 17 3 20
14 Bologna 17 -7 20
15 Fiorentina 16 -1 19
16 Parma 17 -6 19
17 Cesena 16 -9 15
18 Brescia 17 -11 15
19 Lecce 17 -18 15
20 Bari 17 -18 11

Going to be a great second half of the season. :cool:

NATERFC1
20-12-2010, 17:28
Sampdoria attacker Antonio Cassano has revealed on Italian television that he has accepted Milan's offer to join them next month and also held up a Rossoneri shirt to his chest.

Reports emerged earlier this month that the Italy international had piqued the interest in Milan in the aftermath of his contractual dispute with Sampdoria.

On Thursday evening after it was ruled that the 28-year-old's contract with the Genoa-based club would not be rescinded, Sky Sport 24 reported that Cassano agreed a deal with the Diavoli that would run until until 2014.

Now Cassano himself has confirmed on the Italian television show Striscia La Notizia that a deal is in place.

He accepted the Milan shirt offered to him by reporter Mario Stafelli and admired the jersey before saying, "It's not bad, is it? It suits me."

He added, "Who would not accept an offer from Milan? They are one of the greatest teams in history. At Real Madrid it was a disaster, let's see what happens in the next few days. There are still a few details to finalise."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUggFUx2Fqs&feature=player_embedded

NATERFC1
20-12-2010, 18:13
Rafa also denies being sacked by Inter:

Various media outlets have claimed that Moratti has decided to fire the Spanish coach over his comments following the Club World Cup final, when Benitez issued a 'back me or sack me' ultimatum following the 3-0 win over TP Mazembe.

However Benitez, who is currently on holiday in Liverpool, said to Spanish radio station Onda Cero: "I have not been sacked.

"Many people that read the newspapers today have called me up to ask me if I had been dismissed.

"It's not true, I am surprised that it has been reported as a done thing.

"I am currently on holiday to rest and then to begin again.

"For months I have heard and read things that are not true."

The Spaniard's rant following Inter's win on Saturday was not welcomed by Moratti, but Benitez defended his position and even re-emphasised his desire for financial backing.

"The president (Moratti), with whom I had spoken prior to that press conference, had already left Abu Dhabi, and the only possibility was to publicly say something which was evident," said Benitez.

"I don't want to put the president under pressure, but I had spoken to him in the past about my project.

"My project was to include a series of useful players immediately as well as young players for the future.

"Moratti, with whom I have a correct and respectful relationship, liked it.

"The president has to take a decision regarding the line we want to follow.

"While I am here (at Inter) I will work in the best possible way in order for the team to continue to win.

"But in order to win and to do well it is necessary to bring in reinforcements.

"Injuries have hindered us and I don't want this to happen again.

"The transfer market begins soon and hence, this is the time to speak openly about acquisitions."

Benitez's outspoken comments are not the only cause of speculation over his future, with results on the pitch unimpressive.

The former Liverpool manager has endured a difficult start at Inter since replacing Jose Mourinho in the summer.

Inter have been decimated by injuries and are 13 points adrift of city rivals AC Milan in the Serie A title hunt, albeit having played two games fewer than the Rossoneri.

They now have a winter break and next take to the field against Napoli on January 6.

Moratti refused to answer questions regarding Benitez's future. He said: "I will not speak today. I do not wish to create any controversies with anyone."

And Benitez's agent, Manuel Garcia Quilon, said reports of his dismissal are premature.

"Benitez is under contract with Inter and the situation is the same as it was before," he said.

"Benitez said what he said and he does not need to explain himself further. I have not been contacted by anyone."

Reports in Italy have strongly linked former Roma coach Luciano Spalletti, now at Zenit St Petersburg, with a return to Italy to replace Benitez.

Earlier, Benitez received backing from Renzo Ulivieri, the head of the Italian Coaches' Association, who believes the Inter coach is right in asking for backing from the club.

"Benitez has always been calm and civil," Ulivieri told La Repubblica. "He has my support but he doesn't need it because he can stand on his own two feet. He is a world club champion.

"If he asks for respect it's because obviously he has been lacking it. He has only asked for normal things."

carino
21-12-2010, 12:20
Roma’s win at the San Siro last weekend ensured Serie A clubs departed on their Christmas holiday with the Scudetto race well balanced - only three points separate the automatic Champions League qualification slots with the now in-form Juventus coming up fast on the rails only five points behind leaders Milan and Roma two points behind the 'Old Lady'.

Current champions Inter are thirteen points off the pace and even with two games in hand they face an uphill task to retain the title.

Off field Silvio Berlusconi announced he is signing Antonio Cassano because: “It seems Ronaldinho will leave in January and Cassano is the man to get us winning again”. And here’s me thinking Milan are top of the league!

Rumour abounds about Benitez at Inter, his demands for more players, his sacking, his not being sacked because it will cost Moratti $8 million to do so. Adding more confusion to the issue are reports his daughter, Montse Benitez, has enrolled at West Kirby grammar school.

Alberto Aquillani in an interview with Corriere della Sera says he is happy in Del Neri’s current Juventus line where he plays a double pivot role – unlike at Liverpool where, when fit, he was used at the tip of a diamond behind two centre forwards. He also revealed he did not want to leave Roma but the club decided to cash in on him.

Brescia will wear a new centenary strip after Christmas which looks like this:

http://i51.tinypic.com/23valoy.jpg

Not bad!

Bonkle Bear
21-12-2010, 12:49
Ronaldinho off to Gremio if they can find the cash to fund the move. Apparently he is desperate to go back to Brazil after falling out of favour with Allegri. A real shame that his talent has been wasted over the past few years because of his failure to train or prepare properly for games but he can't blame anyone but himself. Credit to Guardiola for realising this and getting him out the door before it had an adverse affect on his squad.

As sad as it is to see Cassano leave Samp I think he will make a significant impact at Milan and getting rid off 'Dinho and replacing him with Cassano seems a good move for the side providing he doesn't explode in the next 6 months. The below stats highlight just how effective a player Cassano was for Samp. Garrone may have made a huge blunder pursuing legal action on the Cassano case and has not only lost any potential transfer fee for Cassano but has also lost a player central to the recent success of the team.

Cassano has scored 35 goals and delivered 27 assists in 96 league games played for Sampdoria since September 2007.

carino
21-12-2010, 20:11
http://i53.tinypic.com/b5l6rn.jpg

Sky Sports Italia, citing economics, report Leonardo is in pole position to replace Rafa Benitez at Inter.

Inter lost 155 million Euros in financial year 2009 and have to curb spending to meet the requirements of Financial Fair Play.

Bringing Spalletti back from Russia would be too expensive and Leonardo is a less expensive option for a shoestring operation.

Interesting!

carino
22-12-2010, 11:50
Despite Moratti having yet to formally and publically sack Benitez Gazzetta dello Sport:

http://i52.tinypic.com/e9vpcz.jpg

and Corriere dello Sport:

http://i52.tinypic.com/15d722p.jpg

have joined the “Leonardo for Inter” bandwagon.

The former Milan manager has as yet made no comment on the situation.

Speculation increases that Aurelio de Laurentis is keen to take Real Sarragozza’s twenty-two year old Serb left back Ivan Obradovic and Fiorentina’s Romanian striker Adrian Mutu to the San Paolo in January.

rosstheger
22-12-2010, 14:50
Any pics of Cassano with the Milan top? :D

I'm now a Milan fan. **** Samp. :D Or just a Cassano-lover ..

Earl of Leven
22-12-2010, 14:53
How could you win league, cup and Champions League and still lose £130m?

Makes us appear frugal and well run.

NATERFC1
22-12-2010, 15:12
How could you win league, cup and Champions League and still lose £130m?

Makes us appear frugal and well run.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/search/label/Inter

Quite a good article on Inter here, although a bit long it is well worth a read, very interesting.

Earl of Leven
22-12-2010, 16:36
So they deliberately overspent to achieve success?

I assume a huge part is the psychology of Morratti wishing to achieve what his father achieved.

carino
23-12-2010, 14:41
Looking to replace the about to depart for Milan Antonio Cassano ( this is Italia so believe it only when he actually takes the field in a rossonero shirt ) Sampdoria are reported to be trying to secure Real Madrid centrocampista Sergio Canales on a loan deal.

Milan are in the market for a defender or, preferably, two defenders. On Galliani’s wish list are Benfica’s Fabio Coentrao valued at circa €25 million and Thiago Silva’s Brazilian defensive partner David Luiz also valued at €25 million. Sampdoria’s Reto Ziegler, who will be out of contract next June, is under consideration along with Roma’s Philippe Mexes whose contract also expires next year and who is unlikely to stay in the capital. Opposition for Mexes’ signature may come from Chelsea and Carlo Ancelotti for whom Mexes has expressed respect.

Interviewed by Globoesporte on the possibility of his replacing Benitez at Inter Leonardo said: “I have known Moratti for years and the relationship has always been cordial. And in every language there is the valid concept ‘never say never’.

Ronaldinho’s brother and agent, Roberto de Assis, has told Gremio and any other interested parties the player will require a salary of €3.5 million net plus bonuses for appearances and goals scored.

Wolfsburg striker Edin Dzeko confirms he will remain with the German club till June next year. The Bosnian expressed a wish to play, “like Shevchenko”, in Serie A from next June. That should please Juventus who have shown interest but not in the January window.

Alberto Giardino will be on the move next June with Juventus apparently in pole position. Juventus DG, Beppe Marotta, and Fiorentina Sports Director Pantaleo Corvino have already had discussions on the transaction.

Marotta is also showing interest in Luca Cigarini the former Napoli centrocampista now with Seville.

Merry Christmas from Milanello:

http://i53.tinypic.com/iwj7o1.jpg

Flawed_Genius
23-12-2010, 17:13
How is talk of Leonardo to Inter going down amongst the Milan support?

carino
24-12-2010, 21:12
How is talk of Leonardo to Inter going down amongst the Milan support?
Dunno about every Milan fan but those I know share my opinion that he did not let us down when he was with us and he is free to work for whom he wants.

He may do OK because when at Milanello he met his target of securing a Champions League slot and had Pato and Nesta not sustained long term injuries he might have done even better.

In his thirteen years at Milan he was a great player, an excellent director / scout and in his season as manager he did not let anyone down despite having very limited resources.

He is the fifteenth manager of Moratti's tenure at Inter so good luck to him – I hope he turns Inter around and secures second place.

http://i56.tinypic.com/rk3fc5.jpg

carino
27-12-2010, 13:13
Last chance saloon for Antonio Cassano.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2gub0b7.jpg

Antonio Cassano joined the Milan squad at Milanello this morning prior to the group leaving for Malpensa airport to fly to their warm weather training camp in Dubai.

His first appearance for the rossoneri is expected to be against Italy’s 2006 world cup winning captain Fabio Cannavaro’s side Al-Ahli. Cassano will sign a three and a half year deal on 4 January which includes stringent clauses on his behaviour.

Milan boss Adriano Galliani has interrupted his holiday in Brazil for important business – he met with Gremio representatives in Rio de Janeiro to attempt to conclude details of Ronaldinho’s proposed move to Gremio.

When Leonardo starts working with the Inter players at Appiano Gentile on 29 December he will become the fifth manager to manage Inter after having been at Milan. The others are Giuseppe Bogogno, Giovanni Trappatoni, Ilario Castanger and Alberto Zaccheroni.

Inter are said to be close to concluding a deal with Andrea Ranocchia the Genoa central defender whose loan deal at Bari concluded last June.

http://i54.tinypic.com/vzehxs.jpg

Antonio Cassano and manager Massimilliano Allegri with Emirates staff.

http://i52.tinypic.com/jka6wl.jpg

Zambrotta, Cassano and Oddo with Emirates staff.

http://i52.tinypic.com/mvq97s.jpg

Cassano and Milan marketing director Laura Massi

carino
30-12-2010, 15:52
http://i54.tinypic.com/30kpt9y.jpg

Shades of Jock Wallace and Gullane as Milan swap the cold of Milanello for warm weather training on the sands of Dubai.

http://i55.tinypic.com/jkkaoj.jpg

One of the most photogenic managers on the planet is presented to the media at Appiano Gentile. Only the passage of time will reveal if Leonardo can be as effective as he is photogenic. I wish him well and hope he secures second place in Scudetto race

Inter owner Massimo Moratti also expressed great satisfaction with his club’s achievements in 2010 and he certainly should be satisfied - Inter won five trophies this year. Intriguingly Moratti also threw in a gem when he suggested modifications to the current league set up on the peninsula merit consideration.

The proposed move of Ronaldinho to Gremio will cost the Brazilian outfit €8 million – which is apparently too rich for them. His brother Roberto de Assis who is also his agent has now suggested a European team is interested and speculation centres on PSG.

Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini has confirmed he will make no new signings in January.

Sampdoria having lost Antonio Cassano to Milan are evaluating replacements – names being suggested are Palermo’s Massimo Maccarone, Inter’s Jonathan Biabiany and Udine’s Flora Flores.

foxtrot
30-12-2010, 15:59
Where do you think Federico Macheda will go? He looks certain to join a Serie A club on loan when the transfer window opens.

carino
30-12-2010, 16:16
Where do you think Federico Macheda will go? He looks certain to join a Serie A club on loan when the transfer window opens.
The latest on Macheda was from his agent Giuseppe Bonetto who in an interview on Radio Sportivo at noon today said the formula for a loan deal is complicated and there had been no direct approach from any Italian club.

Diplomatically he added that England is a very civilised country but tabloid journalists frequently exaggerate situations!

Even more diplomatically he concluded by confirming Sir Alex Ferguson would have the final word on any deal.

carino
31-12-2010, 14:37
http://i51.tinypic.com/f38djk.jpg

Serb tennis star Novak Djokovic called at the Milan warm weather camp in Dubait to meet his mate Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Nice work if you can get it! at

http://i56.tinypic.com/11gsm5x.jpg

In stark contrast to the warmth of Dubai Juventus trained in a temperature of –1 at their Vinovo training ground in Piemonte. The strap below the pic confirms Cassano will be presnted as a Milan player at a press conference after the Milan v. Cagliari game on 6 January.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2mmtw78.jpg

Massimo Moratti, Inter owner and United Goodwill Ambassador has announced his son thirty-six year old Angelomario Moratti has been given executive powers equal to those of his father.
Moratti senior, now sixty-six, has achieved his ambition to emulate his dad Angelo Moratti by winning the Champions League.

That success last season was the first time a father and son have won the Champions League while president of the same club.

The move to elevate his son is being interpreted as a sign that Moratti senior will eventually stand down in favour of his son.

Excellent news for Inter fans as the club appears to have a secure future.

http://i55.tinypic.com/svl9ub.jpg

The late, great Angelo Moratti who died last year.

The most successful Italian player agents in 2010 were 1. Mino Raiola, 2. Beppe Bozzo, 3. Andrea D’Amico ( no stranger to us ), 4. Franco Zavaglia, 5. Tullio Tinti.

Lazio owner Claudio Lotito waiting a decsion on his future intentions from Uruguyan keeper Muslera has offered his understudy, Tommasso Berni, a three year deal.

Former Napoli and Milan ( Scudetto squad 1999 ) central defender Roberto Ayala has announce his retirement from playing at the age of 37. The Argentinean who has 115 caps ( second only to Javier Zanetti ) began his career at Ferro Carril Oeste and also played for River Plate, Valencia, Saragozza and Racing – a great player.

Rino Gattuso on the arrival of Antonio Cassano at Milanello: We will lock him in a room.

"Non è vero che la vecchia guardia non ne voleva sapere, sono palle, stiamo parlando di una persona squisita e il talento ovviamente non si discute. La prima cosa che gli ho detto è stata questa: quando capisci che stai andando fuori di testa chiuditi in una stanza e butta la chiave. Poi ti veniamo a prendere noi".

It is untrue that the old guard did not want to to know him, that is crap, we are talking about an delightful person whose talent is very obviously not in doubt. The first thing I said to him was this: when we notice you are losing your head we will lock you in a room and throw away the key. Later we will come and get you”. :D

Jelle1880
31-12-2010, 14:42
Lotito from Lazio seems to be trying Santa Cruz to come to Rome.
What a silly thing to do, how can you expect a player to perform to his fullest if he doesn't even want to be there ?

Fabio Santos from Gremio would be coming on a free transfer in january too.

carino
03-01-2011, 14:29
http://i51.tinypic.com/2nhfalt.jpg

Antonio Cassano made his first appearance in a Milan shirt against Dubai’s Al-Ahli yesterday and on their return to Malpensa today the club announced transfer arrangements for his move from Sampdoria have been finalised.

In an otherwise meaningless friendly Milan beat the hosts 2 – 1 with goals from Clarence Seedorf and Giacomo Beretta.

Downside was an injury to Robinho who collided with a pitch-side TV steadicam sustaining cuts to his knee and shin which required seven stitches.

Milan lined up:

Roma; Oddo, Nesta, Yepes, Antonini; Strasser, Gattuso, Thiago Silva; Seedorf, Cassano, Pato with Beretta, Ibrahimovic, Strasser and Robinho making appearances a subs.

http://i56.tinypic.com/vgmsk5.jpg

Ronaldinho arrived in Rio de Janeiro yesterday, presumably to discuss a move to Gremio or Flamengo, but his first port of call was to indulge his passion for eating!

A representative for Federico Macheda, Giovanni Bia, has told Sky Italia that the player will join Sampdoria on a loan deal till June with the possibility of another year – finalisation awaits agreement of terms and confirmation faxes. This has disappointed Roberto Di Matteo who had hoped to take the player to The Hawthorns.

Roma welcomed back Mirko Vucinic after injury in a friendly against Lega Pro Girone B side Atletico Roma but in a game notable only for the number of substitutions the minions won 3 – 2.

Adriano has been fined by Roma for returning late from a trip to Brazil.

Juventus are likely to lose striker Vincenzo Iaquinta for the next two games, against Parma and Napoli, after he suffered a thigh injury in training. In preparation for 2011 Juve will meet local Torino side Lucento at their Vinovo training ground.

BoycerBlue
03-01-2011, 14:40
Wouldn't have minded Macheda coming back to Lazio on loan with with Rocchi falling further and further down the ranks. It would give Lazio something else up front as Floccari can be lazy at times especially when a goal is conceded it seems as if he just wants to hide.

And although Lotito has stabilised the club I would never trust a word that comes out the man's mouth and regarding Santa Cruz he said no to the oan deal.

Jelle1880
03-01-2011, 14:42
Lazio is far from stable, still no shirt sponsor because of Lotito's huge demands.
The current results are glossing over the cracks it seems.

The fact he was trying to force Santa Cruz to come said it all.

BoycerBlue
03-01-2011, 14:56
Once he forced the Irriducibili off the Curva Nord that did for me. Just because they were going to take control of the club!

Claudio's arrogance really gets to me. He thinks he is bigger than the club. A really corrupt man that should be in jail with Toffolo and Yuri.

They should be out soon from their domestic detention.

Jelle1880
03-01-2011, 15:05
About time someone took back the Curva Nord, it's a morgue right now with tourists.

carino
05-01-2011, 10:59
With Galliani, De Assis and Gremio sitting down later today to finalise matters the Ronaldinho saga appears to be closed but whispers persist the €8 million fee demanded by Milan may be a stumbling block and Flamengo are waiting in the wings for the outcome.

The Venky chap at Blackburn would be well advised in future to speak in future to players’ agents about bids for their clients as opposed to making what was suspiciously like a fan pleasing pretendy bid via Sky Sports news

Berlusconi had this to say on Cassano and Ronaldinho:

http://i51.tinypic.com/14sgsw7.jpg

”Berlusconi visits Milan. Cassano is a great talent.

Milan owner at the club’s Rome preparation centre: I am sorry for ( the departure ) of Ronaldinho who, in speed of thought and execution, is the greatest player in the world, but it was his choice to return to Brazil. We hope to remain in first place till the end of the season. In Europe we will compete with everyone. Leonardo? Best wishes to Inter.

Back to normal on the peninsula tomorrow ( thank goodness ) with the game of the day kicking-off in the San Siro at 2045 CET when an almost full strength Napoli ( only Lucarelli is iunavailable ) take on a depleted Inter.

The hosts will be without the services of the injured Julio Cesar, Coutinho, Obi, Samuel ( for the season ), Mancini and Sneijder ( till February ) and Eto’o who is suspended after a succession of yellow cards for whingeing and simulation.

This evening kick-off encounter will be a difficult test for both outfits as Inter, fresh from their Club World Cup triumph and with Leonardo in the Mister slot for the first time, try to get their Scudetto retaining efforts back on track.

Leonardo may face another issue soon as Mundo Deportivo claims Samuel Eto'o is fed up with Serie A and wants to join Mourinho in Madrid.

Napoli, complete with the outstanding current joint capocanoniere Edinson Cavani, will be hell bent on consolidating their second slot and the distinct possibilty of a Milan stumble in Sardegna will be an added incentive for Mazzarri’s troops. Betting types would be well advised to stay clear of this one.

The brilliant start Cavani has made to the season has had other outfits casting envious eyes in the direction of the Uruguyan. Owner De Laurentis may not be able to resist pressure from others for ever but he would be well advised to improve the player’s current deal and seek to build in a buy out clause while he is at it.

The absence of El Gaucho leaves Milan short of attacking options for tomorrow afternoon’s visit to Sardegna and the Sant’ Elia. Ronaldinho has gone, Inzaghi is out for the season, Robinho has seven stitches in leg wounds after his encounter with the Arab steadicam, Ibrahimovic is suspended, Pato is fit but has not played for two months and neither has Cassano.

Add to that injuries to Pirlo, Boateng, Zambrotta ( requires an knee operation } and Flamini and the extent of Allegri’s problem become apparent – it will be interesting to see his eventual line up.

Thirteenth placed Cagliari are in much better shape and will face the table toppers with only Marchetti and Sivakov unavailable.

This is a potential banana skin for the Milanello outfit.

Lazio manager Edy Reja will take his men to the Ferarris to face Genoa but suspension means he will watch for the tribune d’honore. The hosts have struggled this season and the combined efforts of Ledesma, Floccari, Zarate plus the outstanding Hernanes should be too much for them.

Parma travel to Torino for the early game but are unlikely to unduly trouble Del Neri’s Juventus who despite the continuing absence of Buffon and DeCeglie should prove too strong for the Crespo led visitors.

The form of Serie A’s second top scorer Fabio Quagliarella and the outstanding Serb Milos Krasic have contributed to the Old Lady’s surge up the table after an indifferent start and Juve, seven points off the pace, are now a credible Scudetto challenger.

Other news from Vinovo ( via La Gazzetta ) is that Alessandro Del Piero is likely to be offered director’s role at Juve when his playing career ends.

Roma who have yet to conclude terms with French central defender Philippe Mexes take on Catania at the Olimpico while struggling Fiorentina travel to Bologna.

Interesting word from the Franchi is Fiorentina management, unhappy with the form and behaviour of former Celtic bawbag Artur Boruc, and concerned about the recovery time for cruciate ligament victim Sebastien Frey are close to signing Brazilian keeper Neto from Atletico Paranaense.

Palermo will host Sampdoria and it will be interesting to see the form of one of the great successes of the first half of the season, Javier Pastore for whom Palermo apparently said ‘no’ to a Barcelona transfer bid:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2j62xih.jpg

Pastore reveals: “Palermo said no to Barcelona”.

Samp still await the arrival of Manchester United’s Federico Macheda on loan and it remains to be seen if they can recover from the disruption of owner Riccardo Garrone’s fall out with Antonio Cassano.

With Fantonio out of the way and Macheda’s arrival almost certain, apparently Sir Alex only requires assurance the player will feature regularly, manager Mimmo Di Carlo will be seeking to get Samp back on the rails.

foxtrot
05-01-2011, 19:33
Mutu's gone AWOL today. Arrived at training, got ready, received a phone call, put his civvies back on and bolted.

carino
06-01-2011, 02:38
Mutu's gone AWOL today. Arrived at training, got ready, received a phone call, put his civvies back on and bolted.
http://i54.tinypic.com/2pr728n.jpg

”Mutu – Fiorentina.
Huge bust up”

The player left a team training session on the eve of the match against Bologna. The club has issued a strong statement: “He left without giving any justification. This insubordinate act and lack of respect for the jersey and the team, is the latest in a sequence of similar events, which make it necessary for the club to reserve the right to implement Federal and Civil action.”

Mutu apparently left after discussion on a potential free releasing him to move to Cesena broke down.

There could be a Cassano / Sampdoria situation about to occur between Mutu and Fiorentina owner Andrea Delle Valle.

Sampdoria sporting director Doriani Tosi confirmed Federico Macheda is in Genoa and if the associated paperwork arrives in time the striker will feature against Roma in the Ferarris on 9 January.

The Ronaldinho saga, dubbed a ‘telenovela’ ( soap opera ) by Italian media, continues with the outcome to be announced in a Galliani / Assis press conference scheduled to be held in Rio this ( Thursday ) evening - perhaps!

It has not been a relaxing New Year “holiday” in Brazil for Milan CEO Adriano Galliani!

carino
06-01-2011, 17:37
Cagliari 0, Milan 1

Milan, with Nesta, Pirlo, Flamini, Boateng, Inzaghi, Zambrotta out with injury and Ibrahimovic suspended for the day, struggled against Manager Allegri’s former side Calgliari before a goal from sub Rodney Strasser saw them take all three points.

That goal enabled them to open a five point lead on second place Lazio who could only draw at Genoa.

Ironically Strasser would probably have not been on the pitch had it not been for a first half knock sustained by Gattuso which he could not run off and which saw Strasser take the field on the hour.

Result apart the only bright spot of the afternoon for Milan was the entry of FantAntonio Cassano with fifteen minutes remaining which changed the game.

Thiago Silva picked up the ball just over the half way line, skipped forward a few paces before despatching a precise ball through the Cagliari defence to Robinho. Cassano ran on to the Brazilian’s sublime back heel, took two paces forward as if to shoot but instead wrong footed the Cagliari defence by sliding a millimetre perfect ball to Strasser who finished neatly.

For Cagliari Canini headed against a post, the Brazilian Nene failed to capitalise on an Abbiati error while Pato and youth team player the eighteen year old Kazakhstan born but German national Alexander Merkel both came close for Milan.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2eyc30i.jpg

Sky Calcio MOTM ( presumably for his first Serie A goal ) twenty year old Rodney Strasser, Milan's Sierra Leone midfielder.

http://i53.tinypic.com/14kxs3m.jpg

Orange glow from his luminous boots showing up on the telecamera Antonio Cassano is about to set up Rodney Strasser for the only goal of the game.

Next up Inter v. Napoli at 2045 ( CET ) when if Napoli win it will take them to within three points of leaders Milan. Inter, currently sixteen points off the pace, but with three games in hand, can not afford to let that happen.

Good game in prospect – Epiphany is great!

derhammer
06-01-2011, 17:57
Anything other than a Napoli win tonight and it's been a great day for Milan.

carino
07-01-2011, 13:23
Leonardo made a good start to his career with the reigning Italian, European and World Club Champions last night when he become the first Inter manager to win on his debut since Hector Cuper in 2001.

If he wins again on Sunday at Catania he will be the first Inter manager to win his first two games in charge since Gigi Simoni in 1997.

It was a great start against third placed Napoli for the youthful Leonardo who is only three years and eleven months older than Inter team captain Javier Zanetti.

Inter’s 3 – 1 win over a disappointing Napoli took them to within thirteen points of leaders Milan having played two game less.

A not so good Epiphany for Juve who had Felippe Melo sent off ( for the second time in three games ) and on-loan striker Fabio Quagliarella injured in a 1 – 4 reverse against Parma. The injury to the striker’s knee looks to be serious.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2922q3d.jpg
Juve’s Fabio Quagliarella in pain - reports this morning suggest his season is over.

Having lost Iaquinta and now Quagliarella to injury Juve need to recruit a striker and talks are in progress with Genoa to take Luca Toni on a six month loan with a right to buy after that. A Genoa director, believed to be Capozucca, has travelled to Vinovo in an to conclude the Luca Toni deal. If agreement is reached there will be a medical this afternoon.

Since beating Inter at the beginning of December Lazio have taken only three four points from a possible nine and their performance yesterday suggests January strengthening is required if the Scudetto dream is not to fade.

An insight on how much influence some Italian clubs’ managers have on signings came from Sampdoria manager Mimmo Di Carlo. Asked about the arrival of Federico Macheda on loan from Manchester United Di Carlo replied: “ I don’t know anything about it yet”.

A press release from Fiorentina confirms Adrian Mutu has been excluded from training for: “.....a grave breach of his contractual obligations”.

http://i56.tinypic.com/5ezwbp.jpg
Milan players celebrate Rodney Strasser’s winner at Cagliari yesterday which was also the twenty-year old’s first in Serie A.

http://i54.tinypic.com/20kx3qc.jpg
Cassano who set up the goal adds his personal congrats!

carino
08-01-2011, 19:49
Federico Macheda has finally completed his loan deal to Sampdoria and is available for tomorrow’s game with Roma.

“Milan has agreed a deal with Flamengo for Ronaldinho, the move is 99% certain now” – Adriano Galliani, CEO Milan. All of which has pissed off Gremio.

Milan ‘Mister’ Allegri told a Milanello press conference he wants a midfielder in this window. A Milan move for Cagliari’s Andrea Lazzarri is on the cards when Adriano Galliani returns from Rio de Janeiro where he was holidaying and dealing with the Ronaldinho soap opera.

Antonio Cassano will be a sub again tomorrow against Udinese.

Lazio’s Edy Reja says the club are having difficulty finding players better than they already have because: “We do not have 30 million to spend”. Tell us about it Edy. :(

Milan striker Borriello on loan to Roma has hit a rich vein of goals and is now fourth top striker in Serie A and only two goals behind Ibrahimovic. Topping the list is Eto’o followed by Napoli’s Cavani.