PDA

View Full Version : so who was the late great Jimmy Clark ?

manfromdelmonte
26-07-2010, 23:08
I am trying to get bbc alba-club tv to make a show about the legend that was Jimmy Clark of Bridgeton. I have often wondered why we dont know much ,indeed all about Jimmy and his antics along with his fellow bears of the time after all they pioneered Euro travel for Rangers fans and i am trying to confirm if they were the guys that led the way for all fans of the future. Jimmy Clark is a story that i feel should be told and if anyone has any stories, info ,pictures or suggestions please get in touch as club tv are real keen to follow the story up.
I,m friends with one of his family and the gub has lined up some of the old "Bridgeton Derry boys" and relations.

Jimmy Clark a man that walked the walk and folllow followed years before others even considered following other teams, its a story i am desperate to be told.
Its all about The Rangers.
Mfdm

grangers
26-07-2010, 23:20
Jimmy's Brother is a good friend of mine over here in Canada, I traveled to a couple of Euro games in the 70's with the Cactus bus which Jimmy Ran.
Didn't really know him that well as this was not my regular SC but they were wild trips with them boys :D

manfromdelmonte
26-07-2010, 23:27
can you speak to him for me regards this mate?
ive already had a few PMs on the legend im sure there will be plenty of stories.

grangers
26-07-2010, 23:31
can you speak to him for me regards this mate?
ive already had a few PMs on the legend im sure there will be plenty of stories.

Will do bud, I see him at least once a week, he was actually here last night, any particular stuff you were focusing on ?

I would also suggest a visit to the St Rollux (sp) Bowling club in Dennistoun, I think you may find quite a few people in there that could tell you a few things about Jimmy.

manfromdelmonte
26-07-2010, 23:49
im just looking for as much info on him just now.
i know st Rollux is a good shout and will be taking a visit soon.

sonowilliam2
26-07-2010, 23:54
The Jimmy Clark loyal from Bridgeton....

Travelled on his bus once to Villa Park back in "76 " I think

SOW :D

caltonexile
27-07-2010, 10:37
i was working in walkers bar in 1974 jimmy is standing at bottom of bar brooding. we had just lost a game, i says septic have lost as well. his reply i dont care about their score

manfromdelmonte
27-07-2010, 10:38
all info,ideas,suggestions are welcome.
Theres been a good response so far.

airportger
27-07-2010, 11:06
Po into the Calvay Club,there's sure to be a good supply of information from there.

colinnixon
27-07-2010, 11:15
In those days it was extremly difficult to follow 'The Rangers' abroad. Less money about, less holidays and airfares were very expensive. I'm quite sure everyone who travelled abroad in the early days would have known Jimmy. I have travelled abroad many times with the 'Jimmy Clark Loyal' bus This was in my younger days with some of his family and extended family. Sometimes we were on the bus for seven days. His legacy lives on and the memories of that bus will stay with me forever:scarf::scotflag::ni::flaguk:

henrywatson115
27-07-2010, 11:25
In the early days jimmy did run the bus from the cactus at bridgeton cross sometime maybe as many a seven buses left from the pub . In the later years I'm sure he moved up to the louden Im sure in duke st maybe some of the guys up there wlll be able to flll you in .

Hazard of Duke Street
27-07-2010, 11:31
Likewise I have been collecting stuff on the Jimmy Clark Loyal and other Rangers Supporters clubs in the East End for a site we are building called 'Up a Wee Close Jist Doon by Brigton Cross' for the East End Loyal RSA dealing with the history of Rangers , players , supporters clubs and their links with the East End. Maybe we could compare notes at a later date Manfromdelmonte.

manfromdelmonte
27-07-2010, 11:37
HoD thats intersting mate id be up for that.

Dougie Gray
27-07-2010, 12:06
My late dad was pals with Jimmy Clark's son and I went to school with his grandson in Brigton. He was in the year below me. We travelled on the Brigton Loyal bus from the mermaid together for a few years. Indeed I'm sure I recall his dad helping run the mermaid bus.

manfromdelmonte
27-07-2010, 14:37
any pictures Dougie ?

The_Gub
27-07-2010, 14:42
He was the man with the plan.

The story of Jimmy Clark, coming right at ya sometime soon.

The_Gub
27-07-2010, 14:43
Likewise I have been collecting stuff on the Jimmy Clark Loyal and other Rangers Supporters clubs in the East End for a site we are building called 'Up a Wee Close Jist Doon by Brigton Cross' for the East End Loyal RSA dealing with the history of Rangers , players , supporters clubs and their links with the East End. Maybe we could compare notes at a later date Manfromdelmonte.

Now remember and mention Jimmy Duncanson.

manfromdelmonte
27-07-2010, 14:50
any pictures Dougie ?

stooarts
27-07-2010, 15:29
Travelled on his bus to Amsterdam for the 1st ever Super Cup against Ajax, it left from Bridgeton Cross and it was a great trip to Hull and then ferry to Rotterdam, also went on his bus to Wembley and it was a disaster, it left from Dennistoun and the guys on were a mixture from different areas of Glasgow and all they did was fight all the way down, i ended up getting the train home.

LowendLoyal12
27-07-2010, 16:15
Travelled on his bus to Amsterdam for the 1st ever Super Cup against Ajax, it left from Bridgeton Cross and it was a great trip to Hull and then ferry to Rotterdam, also went on his bus to Wembley and it was a disaster, it left from Dennistoun and the guys on were a mixture from different areas of Glasgow and all they did was fight all the way down, i ended up getting the train home.

what game was it the 5-1 or the 1-2 game went on the two of them idont think jimmy ran they buses it was jackie when the bus left from the bristol he ran it with another big Rangers fan wont say his name until i check if he ran them to Wembley

rangeral
27-07-2010, 18:52
http://i25.tinypic.com/14vo8iv.jpg

from the Rangers News dated 1st June 1983

MFDM good luck with project.

Hopefully someone can upload to youtube, don't get BBC Alba with VM.

grangers
27-07-2010, 19:01
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1392/bridgetonla3.jpg

Jimmy with the bunnet

rangeral
27-07-2010, 19:08
nice photo grangers;)

what year?

LowendLoyal12
27-07-2010, 19:28
Jimmy's Brother is a good friend of mine over here in Canada, I traveled to a couple of Euro games in the 70's with the Cactus bus which Jimmy Ran.
Didn't really know him that well as this was not my regular SC but they were wild trips with them boys :D

Tell arthur jim was asking for him and has he any old photos iwill phone my mum as i think she has photos of my uncle jimmy :)

grangers
27-07-2010, 19:42
Tell arthur jim was asking for him and has he any old photos iwill phone my mum as i think she has photos of my uncle jimmy :)

Will do Jim, Probably see him at the Legion tonight :D

nice photo grangers;)

what year?

I believe it was the CWC final or Circa that (def 70's, recognize the wee blowup doll :D)

rangeral
27-07-2010, 19:44
Will do Jim, Probably see him at the Legion tonight :D

I believe it was the CWC final or Circa that (def 70's, recognize the wee blowup doll :D)

cheers again

Dougie Gray
27-07-2010, 20:03
any pictures Dougie ?

Im afraid not mate. Ill check when Im at my mums this weekend though.

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
27-07-2010, 20:05
http://i25.tinypic.com/14vo8iv.jpg

from the Rangers News dated 1st June 1983

MFDM good luck with project.

Hopefully someone can upload to youtube, don't get BBC Alba with VM.

What age was he when he died?

blue4life
27-07-2010, 20:42
http://i25.tinypic.com/18iqut.jpg

grangers picture reminded me of this, Jimmys wee rangers guy is famous too.

LowendLoyal12
27-07-2010, 20:51
What age was he when he died?

49 years old my dad Benny who started the denny rangers and the Ruchazie Loyalist died at 49 and my uncle Alex also 49 who were all brothers

grangers
27-07-2010, 20:53
http://i25.tinypic.com/18iqut.jpg

grangers picture reminded me of this, Jimmys wee rangers guy is famous too.

Used to get pissed off cause Alfie Conn was in that, until someone explained to me that he was actually in the place that Arthur Crowley the Devil worshiper occupied in the actual Sgt Pepper picture :D

grangers
27-07-2010, 20:54
49 years old my dad Benny who started the denny rangers and the Ruchazie Loyalist died at 49 and my uncle Alex also 49 who were all brothers

And your Uncle Arthur always thought that he was going at that age as well :blink:

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
27-07-2010, 20:55

So Jimmy Clark was your dad, mate?

blue4life
27-07-2010, 21:08
So Jimmy Clark was your dad, mate?

No mate, his dad was Jimmys brother Benny

Jimmy was his uncle.

indoloyal
27-07-2010, 21:18
Excellent project MFDM guys like this history should be put on a podium for all too see.
Best of luck with the project.

manfromdelmonte
27-07-2010, 21:20
lads thats the first time ive heard about the age they died its very sad to read i must say.

The family of Jimmy are delighted to try and get something put together and fans from all over are starting to contact me , lets keep this thread going.

Just think when we went to manchester there was 200,000 Rangers fans there, Jimmy Clark the Rangers pioneer would have been so proud, they follow followed in his footsteps!

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
27-07-2010, 21:22
lads thats the first time ive heard about the age they died its very sad to read i must say.

The family of Jimmy are delighted to try and get something put together and fans from all over are starting to contact me , lets keep this thread going.

Just think when we went to manchester there was 200,000 Rangers fans there, Jimmy Clark the Rangers pioneer would have been so proud, they follow followed in his footsteps!

I understand he ran a bus to Dingwall in 1966 for the Monday afternoon cup game - 44 years ago that was an amazing accomplishment.

manfromdelmonte
27-07-2010, 21:24
Excellent project MFDM guys like this history should be put on a podium for all too see.
Best of luck with the project.

Your right mate the way i see it is if it had been a tim that started Euro travel for football fans we,d never hear the end of it and the story would be told at every oppertunity.
Well its not :) it was Jimmy Clark and the boys from the Toll and every single Rangers fan infact football fan should be told there story.

"were the boys from the Toll we are loyal and we're true"

manfromdelmonte
27-07-2010, 21:26
I understand he ran a bus to Dingwall in 1966 for the Monday afternoon cup game - 44 years ago that was an amazing accomplishment.

there must be a right good few stories about the man, like this i hope we can find as many as possible.

PWFM
27-07-2010, 22:34

Still runs mate but from Calvay in Duke Street.

king ranger
27-07-2010, 23:16
I used to supply Jimmy with tickets for Pittodrie when he was short.I remember one game i managed to get him twelve tickets, when the bus arrived i handed over the tickets i was then handed over two bags full of coins i dont think there was a pound note in the lot,he killed himself laughing as i waddled away from the bus.When the Gers scored i jumped off the wooden benches at the Beach end and the money went allover the place.I he was some man Jimmy.

grangers
28-07-2010, 00:02
I used to supply Jimmy with tickets for Pittodrie when he was short.I remember one game i managed to get him twelve tickets, when the bus arrived i handed over the tickets i was then handed over two bags full of coins i dont think there was a pound note in the lot,he killed himself laughing as i waddled away from the bus.When the Gers scored i jumped off the wooden benches at the Beach end and the money went allover the place.I he was some man Jimmy.

Ah, when we used to be in the Beach end :eek:

manfromdelmonte
28-07-2010, 06:37
can we try and keep this on the front page for a few days to get out to the punters. If we can have numerous threads on a selick reject then im sure a Rangers man like Jimmy Clark can get some interest on the board.

grangers
28-07-2010, 11:18
can we try and keep this on the front page for a few days to get out to the punters. If we can have numerous threads on a selick reject then im sure a Rangers man like Jimmy Clark can get some interest on the board.

bumpity .

LowendLoyal12
28-07-2010, 12:29
And your Uncle Arthur always thought that he was going at that age as well :blink:

same here had a 49 brithday party invited all the boys off the bus for afree night my brother benny has passed it now my brother alex is next one its astanding joke when all the cousins meet up watp

The_Gub
28-07-2010, 12:59
Used to get pissed off cause Alfie Conn was in that, until someone explained to me that he was actually in the place that Arthur Crowley the Devil worshiper occupied in the actual Sgt Pepper picture :D

Take it from me, it was my idea. What Dub and I did was pan out the picture. But I can assure you Conn was in the exact same position as our wee project moved along, as Crowley was.

beanyrfc
28-07-2010, 14:42
Sound fascinating, get this book done

sam_cooke
28-07-2010, 15:28
A respected bump !

colinnixon
28-07-2010, 16:43
Ah, when we used to be in the Beach end :eek:

I remember a story about some guys who had 1000 tickets for that end when they were really hard to get. Although when Plod lifted them at Glasgow airport for something not connected they thought they were real. It was only when they had a closer look there were only 3 different serial numbers and the briefs had not been ripped off their perforation:blink:

womble 3
28-07-2010, 16:47
smashing tale

always seen the jimmy clark loyal badge about pubs in duke street

sort of guessed lowend was related but never ever got round to asking him

BlueRambo
28-07-2010, 18:48
I remember marching in the Jimmy Clark Loyal parade every year in the 80`s roundabout Dennistoun,Haghill & Brigton and always finishing behind the Louden.always an amazing march with the usual suspects of The Calvay,Camlachie,Denny,Noey,Provy and other bands outwith the east end invited too.In honour of a great man!

Does Caddy still run the Jimmy Clark Loyal?

am proud 2 b blue
28-07-2010, 19:04
Was talking to my dad about this and he said he doesn't really remember Jimmy Clark but he used to jump on any of the buses that left the Mermaid/Brigton Cross in the 60's.

Anyone remember roughly how many buses used to go.

I still need to get in touch with one or two others though.

blue4life
28-07-2010, 22:40
I remember marching in the Jimmy Clark Loyal parade every year in the 80`s roundabout Dennistoun,Haghill & Brigton and always finishing behind the Louden.always an amazing march with the usual suspects of The Calvay,Camlachie,Denny,Noey,Provy and other bands outwith the east end invited too.In honour of a great man!

Does Caddy still run the Jimmy Clark Loyal?

If it is Alan Cadden you are talking about, sadly he died a year or so ago.
another great bear.

colinnixon
29-07-2010, 09:39
If it is Alan Cadden you are talking about, sadly he died a year or so ago.
another great bear.

I sat on the bus with Alan Cadden manys a time in the old days. Another one whos veins were blue

annanberr06
29-07-2010, 17:50
Wee bump ,just to keep this fascinating thread alive

annanberr06
29-07-2010, 23:15
Aye,was going to add that we had dealings with Jimmy Clark in the mid-70s. Around that era the Annan RSC was at its peak,and run a minimum of a 53 seater home and away every week. We would always stop off in Bridgeton for refreshments before the game ,and our convener would meet Jimmy Clark in the Cactus and get the lads sorted out for tickets [cup games etc] and Jimmy always delivered. Absolute gentleman,and what Rangers are all about. Did the Cactus have a bit beside [or upstairs] called the Colorado? or am i mistaken? Jeez,a wee trip down memory lane there. Brilliant days. When i tell my sons about what it was like supporting the bears in those days,the cameraderie etc,they find it hard to take in

manfromdelmonte
29-07-2010, 23:26
keep them coming guys , its all about The Rangers!

Dr_Seuss
30-07-2010, 01:52
Went with the Jimmy Clark Loyal when we played Boavista. Great trip :) especially getting stopped by the French Polis after we left a service station ;) Still the one and only time I've done a Euro away by bus. Even then I knew flying was the way forward, I was dying on the journey back, and buses then ain't what they are now

noodles
30-07-2010, 02:13
I have similar memories as Dr Seuss regarding early euro jaunts.
One of my first euro trips was away to Dortmund on the Jimmy Clark Loyal in 1982 which ran from the Bristol and i can still remember the plaque being placed at the back of the bus before we left Duke Street with a posse of some of the craziest bluenoses i have ever shared a bus trip with including a guy fi Clydebank who went by the name of Jack Lemmon !!!!. Happy days.

The_Gub
30-07-2010, 11:33
Clark's Commandoes, how I'd love to have seen them in their pomp. ;)

bluebaz
30-07-2010, 11:57
An absolutely fascinating thread.

I'm a wee bit ashamed to admit that I had never heard of Jimmy clark before reading this, I'll put it down to not growing up in Glasgow and leave it at that before embarassing myself further.

That aside I find stories like this, of the fans and characters connected to our club, more interesting than the football side of things sometimes.

The best of luck to MFDM in this venture. You're absolutely spot on when you say this is a story that needs to be told of a man and his legacy to footballing fans the world over and Rangers fans in particular.

Follow Follow.

manfromdelmonte
30-07-2010, 12:33
The respone to this keeps getting better.
If anyone has any pictures please get in touuch likewise stories ,info or ideas.
Ive spoke to the lad from alba telly again today he thinks this will be a goer.

"so listen all you selic fans just turn yer bus around, for you might get into Bridgeton but you,l never get ****in out".

steincolin
30-07-2010, 12:40
Went on the bus to Dussledorff 79

The_Gub
30-07-2010, 12:40
An absolutely fascinating thread.

I'm a wee bit ashamed to admit that I had never heard of Jimmy clark before reading this, I'll put it down to not growing up in Glasgow and leave it at that before embarassing myself further.

That aside I find stories like this, of the fans and characters connected to our club, more interesting than the football side of things sometimes.

The best of luck to MFDM in this venture. You're absolutely spot on when you say this is a story that needs to be told of a man and his legacy to footballing fans the world over and Rangers fans in particular.

Follow Follow.

When it comes to the Rangers support, Jimmy Clark was and always will be, a bona fide legend.

He took Rangers fans all over Scotland and beyond, from the 1940s. Reserve games, friendlies etc, he took bears all over the place.

A real true blue. Makes you wonder what he'd make of the state Murray has put his beloved club in?

steincolin
30-07-2010, 12:49
When it comes to the Rangers support, Jimmy Clark was and always will be, a bona fide legend.

He took Rangers fans all over Scotland and beyond, from the 1940s. Reserve games, friendlies etc, he took bears all over the place.

A real true blue. Makes you wonder what he'd make of the state Murray has put his beloved club in?

Gub whats was the first bus he took abroad?

The_Gub
30-07-2010, 13:39
Gub whats was the first bus he took abroad?

Offhand I couldn't say but I'm sure his brother Jackie will be able to tell you.

Regards Europe, we have to assume, nah say without absolute certainty, Highbury v Sparta Rotterdam in March 1960 and Wolverhampton in April 1961, are absolute stick ons.

dalegoalie
30-07-2010, 14:06
Offhand I couldn't say but I'm sure his brother Jackie will be able to tell you.

Regards Europe, we have to assume, nah say without absolute certainty, Highbury v Sparta Rotterdam in March 1960 and Wolverhampton in April 1961, are absolute stick ons.

As I posted elsewhere in response to a call from MFDM, both of these matches were played before Sellik first appeared in European competition.

The_Gub
30-07-2010, 14:21
As I posted elsewhere in response to a call from MFDM, both of these matches were played before Sellik first appeared in European competition.

Which facts I have already relayed to MDFM, via the phone.

I think the yahoos' first match in Europe was against Valencia.

There is no way these vagabonds would have had the wherewithall to run a bus there.

Of course they did go down to Middlesborough in the late 1950s and wreck the town.

grangers
30-07-2010, 16:24
A wee bump

MFDM I spoke to Arthur (Jimmy's Brother), he is very happy that this is happening but he won't be much help to you I'm afraid, he's been in Canada so long and doesn't have any pics that can help you.
He said to get in touch with Jackie, but I think that you know that already.

WokinghamBear
30-07-2010, 16:40
What a fantastic thread.

Guys like Jimmy Clark are as much part of the fabric of Rangers as anyone who has pulled on a jersey IMO.

manfromdelmonte
30-07-2010, 17:45
i have spoke more punters today and im hoping to meet up with Jackie some time next week. If you can help with info or pics please do so.

_gibby_
31-07-2010, 00:10
same here had a 49 brithday party invited all the boys off the bus for afree night my brother benny has passed it now my brother alex is next one its astanding joke when all the cousins meet up watp

What a great night that was mate. I will never forget John on the karaoke, what a laugh.

sam_cooke
01-08-2010, 21:54
Bumpity bump !

Certainly plenty of Rangers fans at Highbury 1960 ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2ToubIn7aw&feature=PlayList&p=5E604F921C4FF6F0&playnext=1&index=9

rathvarnabear
02-08-2010, 00:19
Good luck with your project, my mate helps run the jimmy clark loyal, from the calvey club in duke st. im sure u would get some help from there.

manfromdelmonte
02-08-2010, 11:23
does anyone know if Jimmy was a member of any of the local loyal orders ,id be able to track info this way no bother.

manfromdelmonte
02-08-2010, 11:30
does anyone know if Jimmy was a member of any of the local loyal orders ,id be able to track info this way no bother.

colinnixon
02-08-2010, 12:17
Went with the Jimmy Clark Loyal when we played Boavista. Great trip :) especially getting stopped by the French Polis after we left a service station ;) Still the one and only time I've done a Euro away by bus. Even then I knew flying was the way forward, I was dying on the journey back, and buses then ain't what they are now

I was on that bus with Ging. A trip and a half:)

rangeral
25-08-2010, 22:07
small bump

any updates MFDM

manfromdelmonte
25-08-2010, 22:25
very little response in general mate but i will be looking at getting more info very soon.

rangeral
25-08-2010, 22:28
ok thanks keep up the good work;)

bluevalebomber
26-08-2010, 07:54

A young steincolin :D on his way to Dussledorff

http://imgur.com/Mj8By.jpg

dovit
26-08-2010, 10:25
great stuff best of luck with the project.

colinnixon
26-08-2010, 10:50
A young steincolin :D on his way to Dussledorff

http://imgur.com/Mj8By.jpg

I wonder how much he blagged fae that shop?:eek:

Gary_L
26-08-2010, 10:53

PM lowendloyal12 of here mate
all the info you;ll need there

enigmablue
26-08-2010, 10:55
What an interesting thread and worthwhile project. All the best MFDM

PS love the old footage of the Sparta game. Quality stuff.

rangeral
26-02-2011, 20:17
a small bump after see the other thread with a photo of Jimmy Clark.

MFDM any update for a tv story about him.

jimbear
26-02-2011, 21:04
The story I always remember about Jimmy Clarke goes back to 63/64 when we played Everton in an unofficial British Club Championship. The games were played home and away with the first game at Ibrox. The story goes that on the morning or night before the return game at Goodison, Jimmy didn't have transport to get down there. He apparently 'borrowed' a coal merchant from Brigton's lorry to get to the game. The unfortunate thing was that he didn't tell the coal merchant that he was 'borrowing the lorry. It got returned on the day after the game

brian m
26-02-2011, 21:25
Bumpity bump !

Certainly plenty of Rangers fans at Highbury 1960 ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2ToubIn7aw&feature=PlayList&p=5E604F921C4FF6F0&playnext=1&index=9

Thanks for posting that, my dad was at the game, will be able to show him this tomorrow, he will be well chuffed.

manfromdelmonte
26-02-2011, 21:32
a small bump after see the other thread with a photo of Jimmy Clark.

MFDM any update for a tv story about him.

i asked about ,posted on here and asked family members but didnt get anywhere near enough info or interest to make the short film. i really think it would have been fantastic as well.

rangeral
26-02-2011, 21:34
i asked about ,posted on here and asked family members but didnt get anywhere near enough info or interest to make the short film. i really think it would have been fantastic as well.

that's a shame MFDM, at least you had a go in trying.

22ndbb
27-02-2011, 03:03

Thought you went on a west end bus, or was that someone else/another game ?

bluevalebomber
27-02-2011, 05:02

Surely big Robbie (Jimmy Clark Louden Bar RSC) would have something to say about the great man. Or big Guang da Din.

big eck
27-02-2011, 10:53
Went with the Jimmy Clark bus abroad for many years up till 4 or 5 yrs ago. Still drive to the games abroad in 8 seater. As BVB says in post 92 Robbie will have some cracking stories to tell? Heard some crackers only last week driving to Lisbon with him.

big eck
27-02-2011, 11:12

You would only have been around 30 back then mate :eek::D

blue4life
27-02-2011, 12:34
MFDM, did you ever speak to his brother Jack?

if not let me know and I wil arrange a meet for you.

manfromdelmonte
27-02-2011, 20:22
MFDM, did you ever speak to his brother Jack?

if not let me know and I wil arrange a meet for you.
no mate i would have liked to have spoken to Jackie but ive never met him. i will ask club tv if there still interested in doing the film.