PDA

View Full Version : 2010/2011 French Ligue 1 Thread

Dunantblue
21-07-2010, 14:31
Thought I'd get this up alongside the other foreign league threads.

Market in France beginning to shake up, but no massive movers yet.

Several senior players under investigation for shenanigans with under age gas cookers.

National team in crisis.

Several old untouchables slinking off to Turkey, the US and retirement.

Will Blanc turn national fortunesa around?

Will Tigana sink Girondins?

Can Deschamps continue his impressive stewardship of O'M and perhaps challenge deep in the CL?

What about Lyon. Slump to continue or can they get back to the top?

Where will the surprise challengers come from this season? Can Montpellier and Auxerre maintain momentum?

Plenty for Lothiantrueblue and others to ponder in the close season. ;)

Dunantblue
23-07-2010, 10:42
Alou Diarra has extended his contract at Marseille.

Newcastle look strong favourites to take Ben Arfa away from his doldrums at Marseille. Interesting signing for the Toon if it happens!

Arsenal have joined a host of clubs interested in signing Loic Remy. The word is that Wenger sees him as a possible replacement for Eduardo.

Bordeaux look close to signing 20 year old red Star Belgrade defender Vujadin Savic.

Nancy striker Issiar Dia has gone to Fener in Turkey. Smashing wee player. Another good siging by a Turkish club this summer.

Young Toulouse midfielder Moussa Sissoko has been talking to Manchester City and Lyon about a possible summer move.

Virgil Hilts
23-07-2010, 15:50
I see a certain JR is back at Les Parc :eek:

PSG have also added Nenê from Monaco and Bodmer from OL to their squad, but will it be enough to transform them into contenders? The French Charity sheild next Wednesday (28th) should give some indication...

Some pre-season results =

Toulouse 4-2 Marseille
Brest 1-0 Rennes
Saint-Etienne 2-0 Monaco

oldgreg
23-07-2010, 15:57
Both Lyon and Marseille in Pot 2 of the CL draw so we could be in for a trip to France. Wouldn't fancy our chances against either team, but that holds true for every team we might face in Europe this season.

Lyon and Bordeaux both gave a good account of themselves in last year's Champions League, although Bayern proved too strong for OL in the semi final. I'll be watching Bordeaux this season, because Ive got a feeling they're going to have a nightmare with Tigana in charge.

Dunantblue
23-07-2010, 18:10
That Charity Shield game is being held somewhere in North Africa if I remember correctly.

Big things expected of PSG this season. Erding expected to score plenty and Nene and Bodmer expected to add more quality. I have doubts.

Marseille would give us a doing at the moment. But then again, most top European teams would.

I expect the French to go well in next season's CL again.

rosstheger
23-07-2010, 18:19
I really like Mevlut Erdinc.

I see Bordeaux have signed a Serbian defender. Can't say I've seen much of him. Tremoulinas had a good season last year - the next big player to leave France perhaps? Or has he already :D

Dunantblue
23-07-2010, 18:28
I really like Mevlut Erdinc.

I see Bordeaux have signed a Serbian defender. Can't say I've seen much of him. Tremoulinas had a good season last year - the next big player to leave France perhaps? Or has he already :D

Tremoulinas is agitating for a move or an improved contract. Be surprised if he stays put tbh.

Yeah Erding is due a big season for PSG. Dangerous player. I like him.

Dont know anything about the kid from Red Star that Bordeaux have signed.

onlyrangers
23-07-2010, 18:56
Most people I have spoken to have lost all interest in football after the shambles of the world cup. The French are very fickle and although clubs like OM will always have massive support it'll be interesting to see how the game is represented in the media over the next few months.

Big news in my part of the world is that newly-promoted (to Ligue 2) Evian-Thonon have agreed to play their home games about 60km away in Annecy for the next 4 seasons, as their own ground isn't up to standard. There is significant investment going into the club and they plan to be in Ligue 1 within 3 years... one to watch out for.

Dunantblue
23-07-2010, 18:58
Most people I have spoken to have lost all interest in football after the shambles of the world cup. The French are very fickle and although clubs like OM will always have massive support it'll be interesting to see how the game is represented in the media over the next few months.

Big news in my part of the world is that newly-promoted (to Ligue 2) Evian-Thonon have agreed to play their home games about 60km away in Annecy for the next 4 seasons, as their own ground isn't up to standard. There is significant investment going into the club and they plan to be in Ligue 1 within 3 years... one to watch out for.

Wow mate. Annecy. What a lovely setting for a football club. One of my favourite parts of France.

buster
23-07-2010, 19:02
Wow mate. Annecy. What a lovely setting for a football club. One of my favourite parts of France.

Indeed !

I have fond memories of some cultural exchanges with a young French lady down Annecy way.

Lovely spot, seem to remember little bridges in the street :confused:
It was about 22 years ago.

onlyrangers
23-07-2010, 22:14
Yes Annecy is beautiful, especially at this time of year when the weather is good... and there are indeed wee bridges in the streets, they go over the canals that come off the lake through the old town.

I'm looking forward to watching a few Evian games there this season.

Annecy is also bidding for the 2018 Winter Olympics, would be great if they get it.

Dunantblue
29-07-2010, 14:33
Wee match report on last night's French Supercup debacle.

O'M win on pens after a dreadful spectacle for an expat audience.

French Cup holders PSG were making their fifth Champions Trophy appearance. For the fourth time it went to penalties and after this latest setback PSG have emerged victorious on a single occasion, back in 1996 when a Claude Makelele miss for Nantes gifted them the prize. The veteran skipper calmly tucked away PSG’s fifth kick here as it went to sudden death. Experienced substitute Ludovic Giuly had his kick saved by OM goalkeeper Steve Mandanda – voted man-of-the-match - low to his right and then Cissé showed his bottle to kickstart the celebrations as Marseille won the Champions Trophy on their debut appearance.

The shootout got off to the worst possible start for PSG as Peguy Luyindula hit the post and the ball rebounded off Mandanda’s head to safety. All of the other initial five takers scored from both sides except for OM playmaker Lucho Gonzalez. The Argentinean’s attempted “Panenka” chip down the middle of the goal was Marseille’s third spot kick and easily saved by Grégory Coupet.

PSG enjoyed the better of the opening period, frequently threatening to get in behind Marseille’s high defensive line with the movement of forwards Mevlut Erding and Peguy Luyindula a notable feature. Just before the break Luyindula fired wide when in on Steve Mandanda’s goal and shortly afterwards the OM goalkeeper excelled himself in diving in at the feet of Nêne to thwart the Brazilian.

Nêne, like Mathieu Bodmer, made his first start for PSG in a competitive match. Nêne’s set-piece prowess was one of the reasons Antoine Kombouaré signed him and a left-footed corner midway through the first half could have resulted in a goal had centre-half Zoumana Camara managed to generate more power with his header.

Marseille’s new signing Cesar Azpilicueta distinguished himself with his willingness to break forward from right-back, while the young Spaniard’s prodigiously long throws were a constant source of danger, Mamadou Samassa powering a header off target from one such delivery on 25 minutes.

Didier Deschamps left Stéphane Mbia and Gabriel Heinze back in France for pre-season training after featuring for Cameroon and Argentina respectively at the World Cup. OM’s defensive options were further reduced on the stroke of half-time as Souleymane Diawara pulled up with a thigh problem. The former Bordeaux man expects to be out for at least three weeks.

A passionate crowd reserved their biggest cheer for the introduction of Hatem Ben Arfa – a French international of Tunisian origin – on the hour. It sparked OM’s best spell of the game with Samassa, getting his chance at centre-forward with Mamadou Niang and Brandao suspended, denied by Coupet from point blank range and then Ben Arfa’s solo run culminating in a shot just wide of the upright.

With penalties looming, Luyindula created a great chance for himself to win the game for PSG, twisting past a couple of Marseille defenders before unleashing a shot which he was unable to keep down. Seconds later OM hit the post with Coupet beaten as defender Leyti N’Diaye, on for Diawara, flicked a Taye Taiwo shot against the upright.

In a pulsating close to the game neat interplay from PSG created a chance for substitute Mateja Kezman. Fortunately for OM Vitorino Hilton was there with the saving block. With seconds left on the clock Nêne blazed over after working the shooting opportunity, cutting in from the right.

I reckon PSG could go close this season.

munkoomccoist
29-07-2010, 14:37
Good read, mate. Luyindula makes me laugh - he's just so bloody enigmatic. :D

Barca have been linked with half of Ligue 1 in the Catalan press recently. Sissoko, Kabore, Capoue and Diarra all been heavily linked as replacements for Toure - Capoue is apparently the most likely.

Dunantblue
29-07-2010, 14:37
Good read, mate. Luyindula makes me laugh - he's just so bloody enigmatic. :D

Barca have been linked with half of Ligue 1 in the Catalan press recently. Sissoko, Kabore, Capoue and Diarra all been heavily linked as replacements for Toure - Capoue is apparently the most likely.

Cissoko also appears destined for Italy or Spain.

munkoomccoist
29-07-2010, 14:40
Cissoko also appears destined for Italy or Spain.

Atleti apparently still in talks with big Taiwo too.

Don't fancy Aly Cissokho at all. Think he's far too easy to thwart.

Dunantblue
29-07-2010, 14:46
Atleti apparently still in talks with big Taiwo too.

Don't fancy Aly Cissokho at all. Think he's far too easy to thwart.

Yeah, has all the attributes but looks really naive at times. Lacks the smarts at the mo to be really effective playing at the highest level.

Taiwo is a beast. Been one of O'M's better players for a long time IMHO.

HARTHILL_GER
29-07-2010, 15:00
Whats the latest on Lisandro's injury? He had an Achilles problem I believe.

Anyone else linked with Les Gones?

1690owl
29-07-2010, 16:16
any newws on where we can watch the french league next season?

1690owl
29-07-2010, 16:21
also whats the latest on st etienne?

Dunantblue
06-08-2010, 19:36
A wee season preview for those interested in the French league scene. I've structured this around the teams, and in the order in the league I think they will finish come the end of the season.

As is almost always the case now that that the Lyon dynatsy seems to be at a permanent end, it is a brave man who lays out serious money on the result of Europe’s most open league. Even Albertz was King and Jaws II, didn't foresee Montpellier’s title bid or Auxerre’s reemergence as a Champions League team. As for Bordeaux’s total collapse, Raymond Domenech’s astrology teacher would have struggled to spot that one coming.

1. Marseille

I reckon OM’s first title in 18 years will be the start of a new Tapie free golden era. Didier Deschamps took a few months to bed in and get his message across to the squad, but in the second half of last season they were absolutely superb. The key men are all staying put and OM are enjoying a relatively uneventful summer. Expect them to start well against Caen.

Key man: Lucho Gonzalez

Possible revelation: Andre Ayew

Weakness: Mamadou Niang needs a bit of a hand up front.

2. Olympique Lyonnais

Lyon are the only team capable of beating Marseille to the prize. Winning the title is the club’s priority and Claude Puel will be desperate for his first trophy (his job may even depend on it). Problems linger, though, and while Jimmy Briand will help the trojan like Lisandro in attack, his arrival may not be enough to add the needed quality.

Key man: Lisandro Lopez

Possible revelation: Maxime Gonalons

Weakness: The midfield is too lightweight, particularly with Jeremy Toulalan set to switch to centre-back. The days of Essien/Diarra/Juninho seem an ag away.

3. Rennes

My tip to come up on the rails upset the established order. Frédéric Antonetti did not have a good first season but the wonderfully entertaining coach has what it takes to bring this sleeping giant to life. Briand has gone, but Montaño, Dalmat and Apam are good signings. With Gyan banging in the goals and celebrity fan Salma Hayek cheering on the boys, we could be in for a sexy season in Brittany.

Key man: Asamoah Gyan

Possible revelation: Sylvain Marveaux

Weakness: Inexperience at the back.

4. Bordeaux (+2) Tigana to find hangover cure

Last season’s stunning collapse has been followed by the departures of Blanc and Chamakh, leaving the club groggy. Jean Tigana has a tough job, but Bordeaux possess enough quality to improve on last term’s finish. Planus, Gourcuff and Diarra are still there, while the lack of European football will keep them fresh and focused.

Key man: Yoann Gourcuff

Possible revelation: Grégory Sertic

Weakness: Chamakh’s exit leaves a gaping hole to fill in attack.

5. Lille (-1) Two quality players short

Devastatingly good at times last year, Les Dogues could have been transformed into title contenders with a couple of big signings this summer. Unfortunately they do not have the money. Until they get into their new stadium, Rudi Garcia’s bright team will struggle to make the next step up.

Key man: Eden Hazard

Possible revelation: Yohan Cabaye

Weakness: Lack of depth means players like Rami, Balmont, Cabaye, Mavuba, Gervinho and Frau must play virtually every game.

6. Paris Saint-Germain (+4) Mid-table beckons… again

Despite a better looking team than they've had in ears and a coach who shows continuing signs that he can be one of the best in the business, the club have not finished higher than 9th since 2004 and I don’t see them challenging, despite the arrivals of two good players in Nenê and Bodmer.

Key man: Mevlut Erding

Possible revelation: Younousse Sankharé

Weakness: Too many old players past their best (Giuly, Rothen, Makelele, Coupet) and youngsters still too raw (Maurice, Makonda, Sakho, Arnaud).

7. Montpellier

René Girard’s charges will prove last season was no fluke. Few could understand how the Ligue 1 new boys stayed in the title race for so long, yet in the end people had to accept what had become abundantly clear: they are just very good! New boy Giroud will give them punch in attack, although Costa leaving for Valencia is a blow.

Key man: Emir Spahic

Possible revelation: Karim Aït-Fana

Weakness: Alberto Costa was the team’s midfield linchpin and took wonderful set pieces. Who is there to step into his creative boots?

8. Auxerre

Auxerre have a strong first eleven and an excellent coach in Jean Fernandez. Their season will depend both on the outcome of their Champions League qualifier (should they reach the group stage their league form will almost certainly suffer) and the ability of key men like Coulibaly, Grichting, Pedretti and Jelen to stay fit.

Key man: Benoît Pedretti

Possible revelation: Roy Contout

Weakness: They do not have the squad to be competitive in both the Champions League and Ligue 1.

9. Lorient

Lorient have lost centre-backs Koscielny and Marchal and Vahirua has also jumped ship. Kevin Gameiro looks like he could follow at any moment. So too much quality gone to repeat last season's success. In saying that Coquelin, Romao and Ecuele Manga are useful recruits, and Christian Gourcuff is a great coach.

Key man: Kevin Gameiro

Possible revelation: Francis Coquelin

Weakness: Too reliant on Gameiro for goals.

10. Monaco

Has trading Nenê and Pino for Niculae and Aubameyang improved the attack? Could Hansson/Puygrenier be Ligue 1’s slowest centre-back pairing? ‘No’ and ‘probably’ would be my answers. It is difficult to see Guy Lacombe’s young side improve on last year unless some of the kids (like Haruna, Nkoulou and Nimani) really kick on.

Key man: Stéphane Ruffier

Possible revelation: Mathieu Coutadeur

Weakness: The midfield lacks invention and drive. Was that really the same Diego Pérez bossing the midfield for Uruguay at the World Cup?

11. Toulouse

Badly under-performed last year largely because Gignac was injured so much. But the big France striker has a point to prove to the nation and will surely be more effective this year, while gifted youngsters like Capoue, Sissokho and Tabanou are ready to take on added responsibility.

Key man: André-Pierre Gignac

Possible revelation: Moussa Sissokho

Weakness: Alain Casanova enjoyed success with defensive tactics in 2008-09, but the team have become too reliant on Gignac.

12. Valenciennes

VA have not made any exciting summer signings, but holding on to players like Sanchez, Audel, Bisevac and Mater is an achievement in itself. Expect the ‘Barcelona of Northern France’ to keep on pleasing their fans with fast, passing football.

Key man: Milan Bisevac

Possible revelation: Yohan Audel

Weakness: There are worse goalkeepers in the world than Nicolas Penneteau, yet VA are one of the only Ligue 1 sides without a potential match-winner between the sticks.

13. Nice

Eric Roy never saw himself as a coach. But the situation became so desperate last term the former sporting director agreed to move to the dugout. In the space of two months, he revitalised the club. Although star striker Rémy looks certain to leave, Roy’s methods have injected a large dose of optimism.

Key man: David Ospina

Possible revelation: Anthony Modeste

Weakness: There would be a lack of quality in attack without Loîc Remy. Is Modeste able to fill his boots after scoring goals aplenty in Ligue 2 last year?

14. Nancy

It’s difficult not to like Nancy and their ebullient coach Pablo Correa. They should be admired as well. They get on with their business with minimal fuss, invest cleverly, and are always hard to beat. Accused of adopting a dour, pragmatic style, the elegant Vahirua, signed from Lorient, will make them more pleasing on the eye.

Key man: Youssouf Hadji

Possible revelation: Chris Malonga

Weakness: Stability is a good thing but the lack of transfer activity again this summer means there is a danger of this Nancy side going stale.

15. Caen

The French yo-yo club par excellence would be delighted to finish 17th this season, but I think they can do better. They have a good mix of youth and experience, as well as a shrewd, determined coach. Caen showed faith in Franck Dumas after the 2009 relegation - and he repaid them by guiding the Normandy outfit to the Ligue 2 title.

Key man: Damien Marcq

Possible revelation: Yohan Mollo

Weakness: They do not possess a whole lot of top-flight experience.

16. Saint-Etienne

Another difficult season awaits the ten-time champs. The signings of Marchal, Ebondo and Bocanegra will at least ensure their defence is less error-prone. Meanwhile young Rivière has the talent to become one of France’s top strikers.

Key man: Loïc Perrin

Possible revelation: Emmanuel Rivière

Weakness: Too many injury-prone players.

17. Lens

It is difficult to imagine Les Sang et Or finishing much higher given their modest summer in the transfer market. One of France’s best-supported teams, Lens’ fervent fans should ensure they pick up enough points at home to be safe for another year.

Key man: Yohan Demont

Possible revelation: Samba Sow

Weakness: Eduardo is not the prolific scorer Lens thought they had signed a year ago. Nobody else looks capable of even hitting double figures.

18. Arles-Avignon

Staggering that they are even playing in the top flight. A total miracle in my view. Staying up would be a remarkable achievement. A host of players will have been bought in, including a former Real Madrid defender (Mejia), an ex-Arsenal striker (K. Diawara) and the once-brilliant Bonaventure Kalou (perhaps). I expect them to fight hard, but in vain.

Key man: Sébastien Piocelle

Possible revelation: Hameur Bouazza

Weakness: Politics have hampered preparations; the club president has left this summer and the coach (Michel Estevan) was sacked and then reinstated.

19. Sochaux

The noises coming out of the Stade Bonal are ominous. Everybody at the club seems resigned to a relegation battle already. They may be ok if Charlie Davies recovers fitness and form… or if Ideye Brown lives up to his potential… or if Vaclav Sverkos gets a good service… If none of those things happen, Ligue 2 beckons.

Key man: Jérémy Bréchet

Possible revelation: Ideye Brown

Weakness: Where will the goals come from? They managed just 28 last season and have added only Modibo Maïga from Le Mans in attack.

20. Brest

Back with the big boys for the first time in 19 years, Brest have no David Ginola or Corentin Martins to keep them up this time. Roux is a highly promising striker and coach Alex Dupont has a fine reputation, but they will surely struggle to compete.

Key man: Nolan Roux

Possible revelation: Richard Soumah

Weakness: Their spirit and determination helped Brest seal promotion but the club are likely to fall short in Ligue 1 in terms of quality.

Dunantblue
06-08-2010, 20:50
Ties for the opening weekend.

Pick of the bunch would be Rennes entertaining Lille.

AJ Auxerre v FC Lorient
RC Lens v AS Nancy Lorraine
Olympique Lyonnais v AS Monaco FC
Olympique de Marseille v SM Caen
OGC Nice v Valenciennes FC
Paris Saint-Germain v AS Saint-Etienne
Stade Rennais FC v LOSC Lille Métropole
FC Sochaux-Montbéliard v AC Arles Avignon
Toulouse FC v Stade Brestois 29
Montpellier Hérault SC v Girondins de Bordeaux

onlyrangers
07-08-2010, 08:23
Great analysis Dunant, thanks for that.

Pretty downbeat editorial in L'Equipe this morning, talking about the top players who have the left the league (Chamakh, Boumsong, Govou, etc) with no stars coming in. They are saying it's between OM and Lyon, with Lille as outsiders.

I was at Grenoble v Le Havre last night, first game of the L2 season... entertaining enough game, nice wee stadium, finished 1-0 Grenoble although Le Havre were probably the better team.

And what a start for Evian, 2-0 win away at Metz!

Dunantblue
07-08-2010, 12:00
Great analysis Dunant, thanks for that.

Pretty downbeat editorial in L'Equipe this morning, talking about the top players who have the left the league (Chamakh, Boumsong, Govou, etc) with no stars coming in. They are saying it's between OM and Lyon, with Lille as outsiders.

I was at Grenoble v Le Havre last night, first game of the L2 season... entertaining enough game, nice wee stadium, finished 1-0 Grenoble although Le Havre were probably the better team.

And what a start for Evian, 2-0 win away at Metz!

Yeah excellent start for Evian mate. Metz might struggle this season. What a fall?

I disagree with the gloom in L'Equipe. The French U-19 team indicates there is pleny of talent on the rise. And I believe Bordeaux, Marseille, Lyon and PSG have some terrific players on their books. Anyone who saw Lille last season on form cant help but wonder how well they can do this season. Hazard is a lovely player.

ankaragucu
07-08-2010, 12:23
whats your opinion of Issair Dia Dunnant ? Hes signed for Fenerbahce. I remember he was one of Frances top prospects a few years back

iaatpies
07-08-2010, 12:26
I'm not sure how Lyon will do. Briand is a good signing but they dont have the same class in midfield as previous seasons. Bordeaux will also suffer from the loss of Blanc. I think Marseille will do well again this season.

TonyStarks
07-08-2010, 15:56
Opening day of Ligue 1 :)

Dunantblue
07-08-2010, 16:20
whats your opinion of Issair Dia Dunnant ? Hes signed for Fenerbahce. I remember he was one of Frances top prospects a few years back

Has been consistently excellent for 3 seasons in France mate. Very small guy. Always wondered if that held him back from an earlier move. I think he'll be a really good signing for Fener mate.

OnlyOneAmoruso
07-08-2010, 16:32
Yeah excellent start for Evian mate. Metz might struggle this season. What a fall?

I disagree with the gloom in L'Equipe. The French U-19 team indicates there is pleny of talent on the rise. And I believe Bordeaux, Marseille, Lyon and PSG have some terrific players on their books. Anyone who saw Lille last season on form cant help but wonder how well they can do this season. Hazard is a lovely player.

Brilliant preview Dunant, really interesting,

Eden Hazard looks fantastic, what age is he? 20? Some great talent coming through all at the one time for Belgium. Could be interesting for them.

Any news on Cissokho? He almost went to Milan before Lyon didn't he? Failed a medical because of a problem with his teeth I seem to remember?

Dunantblue
07-08-2010, 16:32
Stoke City have apparently had an 11 mill Euro bid for Loic Remy accepted by Nice!! Remy has been to Stoke, apparently likes what he has seen, likes the club and the manager and its expected the deal will happen next week!

Surprising signing.

Dunantblue
07-08-2010, 16:36
Brilliant preview Dunant, really interesting,

Eden Hazard looks fantastic, what age is he? 20? Some great talent coming through all at the one time for Belgium. Could be interesting for them.

Any news on Cissokho? He almost went to Milan before Lyon didn't he? Failed a medical because of a problem with his teeth I seem to remember?

Thanks mate. Yeah Cissokho still being linked to Serie clubs. Juventus last one I saw. Looked defensively very suspect to me last season.

OnlyOneAmoruso
07-08-2010, 16:43
Stoke City have apparently had an 11 mill Euro bid for Loic Remy accepted by Nice!! Remy has been to Stoke, apparently likes what he has seen, likes the club and the manager and its expected the deal will happen next week!

Surprising signing.

Very odd that he would go to Stoke. I think Arsenal were sniffing about.

Great signing for Stoke all the same.

ChicagoBear
07-08-2010, 20:12
PSG take the lead over St Etienne. Mevlut Erding after 5 mins.

ankaragucu
07-08-2010, 20:18
Has been consistently excellent for 3 seasons in France mate. Very small guy. Always wondered if that held him back from an earlier move. I think he'll be a really good signing for Fener mate.

Thanks bud fenebahce need all they can get at the moment i'n what will be a hard season

OnlyOneAmoruso
07-08-2010, 20:24
Don't ESPN have the rights to Ligue 1?

ChicagoBear
07-08-2010, 20:25
Don't ESPN have the rights to Ligue 1?

http://tv.espn.co.uk/gb/espl/sports-on-espn/football

Doesnt look like it.

OnlyOneAmoruso
07-08-2010, 20:27
http://tv.espn.co.uk/gb/espl/sports-on-espn/football

Doesnt look like it.

Oh fiddlesticks.

ChicagoBear
07-08-2010, 20:28
Oh fiddlesticks.

Get yourself on the net, I'm currently watching the PSG game ;)

OnlyOneAmoruso
07-08-2010, 20:31
Yeah, fired on Lyon Monaco.

OnlyOneAmoruso
07-08-2010, 20:35
Rennes take the lead over Lille.

Ismael Bangoura with the goal.

ChicagoBear
07-08-2010, 20:45
Payet levels for St Etienne with 5 mins to go till HT.

EDIT Sessegnon makes it 2-1 PSG 2 mins later.

Dunantblue
07-08-2010, 21:12
PM links would be gentlemanly gentlemen

dcbear
07-08-2010, 21:21
EDIT Sessegnon makes it 2-1 PSG 2 mins later.

What a goal it was too.

A bit of controversy there, but the ref probably got it right. St Ettiene scored but disallowed cos a PSG defender who had a chance to clear it on the line was pushed over.

Dunantblue
07-08-2010, 21:25
I like Steph Sessegnon. Terrific footballer imho.

ChicagoBear
07-08-2010, 21:28
I like Steph Sessegnon. Terrific footballer imho.

Yeah, he'll have the chance to move for big money soon. Excellent second striker.

munkoomccoist
07-08-2010, 21:39
Dunant, that preview in post 20 is f*cking brilliant. Well done.

Im just in - right on to the Monaco vs Lyon game. 0-0, 15 minutes to go.

munkoomccoist
07-08-2010, 21:42
What happened to wee David Gigliotti at Monaco? Seem to remember he was a bright spark for them as a kid post Deschamps.

ChicagoBear
07-08-2010, 21:46
Nene scores to make it 3-1 and wrap up the points for PSG. Decent performance from them tonight would like to see them do better than recent seasons.

TonyStarks
07-08-2010, 21:46
Im watching Marseille-Caen .. l'OM haven't looked very good today and struggled to break down Caen for the most part. Caen opened the scoring in the 2nd half after Cisse lost the ball in the midfield but Marseille equalized through Samassa thanks to a combination of bad defending and mis-communication with the keeper. Score is still 1-1 with about 6-7 minutes to go.

munkoomccoist
07-08-2010, 21:53
Incredibly uninspiring stuff from Lyon here. 3 minutes to go.

ChicagoBear
07-08-2010, 21:54

Looking at the score lines tonight it looks like I choose one of the better games to watch :D

Although for a match day in France there's been a fair number of goals in the games.

OnlyOneAmoruso
07-08-2010, 21:55

Really disappointed in this game. Wish I had decided on PSG.

Lyon's midfield seems nonexistent with Toulalan switching to centre half this season.

TonyStarks
07-08-2010, 21:55
El Arabi (man of the match) makes it 2-1 for Caen .. Marseille losing their opener at home !

ChicagoBear
07-08-2010, 21:57
PSG 3-1 St Etienne FT.

Good game and good start for Les Parisiens, hopefully it continues.

munkoomccoist
07-08-2010, 21:58
Looking at the score lines tonight it looks like I choose one of the better games to watch :D

Although for a match day in France there's been a fair number of goals in the games.

0-0 it finished - they went through on goal in the last second as well but hit it straight at the keeper.

Briand was really forlorn looking up front.

Dunantblue
07-08-2010, 23:13
What a dreadful start to the season for O'M. The wee man will not be happy.

TonyStarks
07-08-2010, 23:27
I'm watching a replay of Lyon-Monaco and its not bad as some of you made it out to be. Both teams have had some good chance to score and its been quite entertaining for the most part. Keep in mind, for some reason they don't even have a commentator for this game.

Dunantblue
07-08-2010, 23:30
PSG top o da ligue. Don't settle there lads. :o

Lloris brilliant tonight. How good a goalkeeper is this lad? How big a star can he become? I reckon massive, and best goalkeeper in the world before long.

Virgil Hilts
08-08-2010, 02:51
Was pleasantly surprised by Caen today. Thought they played the champions off the park and could easily have doubled their score. They were well worth their win

Nice to see Paris start off well. They certainly look the buisness going forward, but I can help feel they are still vulnerable at the back. Good result for Toulouse as well, I fancy they might well be up there at the end of the season, especially having retained Ginac

onlyrangers
08-08-2010, 07:54
249 PSG fans questioned, and a large number of arrests, at the Parc des Princes last night :eek:

They were protesting about new rules for access to the ground, and apparently it turned ugly... the club have temporarily suspended season tickets and are allocating seats randomly to try and break up the ultra groups, Boulogne and Auteuil, who claim each end of the ground.

OnlyOneAmoruso
08-08-2010, 11:45
Just looking at some bets today.

Was looking at Montpellier vs Bordeaux, could there be an upset there?

Dunantblue
09-08-2010, 11:02
Dreadful start to the season for Bordeaux and Tigana.

Beaten 1-0 down at Montpellier. Monpellier look like they could prove tough customers again this season and in Marco Estrada they look like they have added real quality.

Intriguing start to the season in France and plenty of goals.

OnlyOneAmoruso
09-08-2010, 11:05
Took Montpellier, Feyenoord and Ajax as my bets yesterday.

Stupid Ajax :(

Was surprised at the amount of goals on Saturday night. Sessegnon's was a peach.

Dunantblue
10-08-2010, 13:10
Newcastle have agreed a £1 million one year loand deal with marseille for Hatem Ben Arfa. Talking to the player with a view to him signing today.

Despite holding talks with Stoke and saying he was going to sign on in the Potteries, that deal collapsed over the weekend and Loic Remy now looks set for a move to Everton. £14 million the fee. Looks like a very strong possibility. Kinda puts the Everton in for Jelavic thing in perspective eh?

Gudjohnson set for Fulham loan switch. To be one this week according to French rags.

TonyStarks
10-08-2010, 17:06
Newcastle have agreed a £1 million one year loand deal with marseille for Hatem Ben Arfa. Talking to the player with a view to him signing today.

Not sure what Marseille is thinking with this one. Despite his "attitude", Ben Arfa is still one of the most talented players for l'OM and definitely a much bigger threat than Valbuena, who continues to start under Deschamps despite failing to impress most of the time.

munkoomccoist
10-08-2010, 17:10
Don't really envisage Ben Arfa making much of an impact in a team who will be, for my money, marooned in a relegation battle come the season ahead.

Dunantblue
10-08-2010, 18:37
Not sure what Marseille is thinking with this one. Despite his "attitude", Ben Arfa is still one of the most talented players for l'OM and definitely a much bigger threat than Valbuena, who continues to start under Deschamps despite failing to impress most of the time.

Ben Arfa did nothing last season, even when picked, and under Deschamps with Valbuena in the team all season they won the league. So don't really know where you are coming from with this? :confused:

Dunantblue
13-08-2010, 13:42
Daisuke Matsui on the verge of leaving Grenoble. Rumour is he is talking to a couple of foreign clubs. One believed to be based in Scotland! The other believed to be Deportivo La Coruna.

Virgil Hilts
13-08-2010, 15:02
Couple of tasty games this sunday...

Girondins de Bordeaux v Toulouse FC
LOSC Lille Métropole v Paris Saint-Germain

Toulouse look promising to me based on last weeks run out and could put Tigana's Bordeaux through another torrid game, whilst PSGs visit to Lille will test them more than St Ettiene and could give an early indication of whether or not they are true championship material

munkoomccoist
13-08-2010, 17:31
Daisuke Matsui on the verge of leaving Grenoble. Rumour is he is talking to a couple of foreign clubs. One believed to be based in Scotland! The other believed to be Deportivo La Coruna.

Man, Matsui would be awesome. Can remember we were in for him when he was at Le Mans. Oh wow, i'd genuinely get excited if it's us that are in for him.

munkoomccoist
13-08-2010, 17:36
Found this through French outlets on Twitter -

For several days, a rumour had announced that, last Tuesday, Daisuke Matsui had been authorized by its club of Grenoble (L2) to visit the installations of a club whose identity had not filtered yet. The Team affirms today that it is the Portuguese club of Sporting Lisbon which would have accomodated the former Inhabitant of Saint-Etienne to make him visit the infrastructures of the club. However, always according to the sporting daily newspaper, no offer would have been formulated with the GF 38.

Ah well.

ChicagoBear
14-08-2010, 11:01
Week 2 upon us, full list of fixtures

http://i34.tinypic.com/2yvvsld.jpg

As Virgil says the pick of this weekends games are probably on Sunday, although Monaco/Montpellier should be a good game tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing PSG take on Lille tomorrow to see if they can continue their good form from last weekends game against St Etienne.

CoeurdeLion
14-08-2010, 12:09
Marseille to get back on track later today v Valenciennes IMO. Big Bobo Balde is in the Valenciennes squad. Certain that he won't be getting £30k / week :eek:

If Marseille manage to sign Luis Fabiano from Seville then I think they will walk the French Ligue 1. Very strong in defence and midfield usually. Great strength in depth. The keeper (Mandanda) was unusually out of sorts last week when Caen had a surprise victory.

ChicagoBear
14-08-2010, 19:45
Interesting scoreline from France tonight.

Valenciennes gubbing l'OM 3-0 (80 mins gone), looks like the defending champs will start the season 0 for 2.

TonyStarks
14-08-2010, 19:53
Interesting scoreline from France tonight.

Valenciennes gubbing l'OM 3-0 (80 mins gone), looks like the defending champs will start the season 0 for 2.

2 goals in 2 minutes .. its 3-2 now :D

Same scenario in Saint-Etienne vs Sochaux game, the hosts went up 3-0 before Sochaux pulled 2 back in 2 minutes and its still 3-2 there as well

ChicagoBear
14-08-2010, 19:56
That the first 2 weeks (so far) given us a whack of goals. French football tends to be low scoring affairs. 18 goals in 5 games tonight and with 22 goals in last weekends games long may it continue :D

Earl of Leven
14-08-2010, 19:57
3 different champions in last 3 seasons....good on them.

TonyStarks
14-08-2010, 19:58
Saint-Etienne managed to hold on to the 3-2 win against Sochaux

15 seconds left in Marseille's game

munkoomccoist
14-08-2010, 19:58
Fabiano in Ligue 1 would be crazy.

TonyStarks
14-08-2010, 19:59
FT Valenciennes 3-2 Marseille

Marseille with a horrendous start to the season with 2 losses against Caen and Valenciennes. On top of that, they have a ton of issues with the possible departures of Niang and Ben Arfa, and the issues Deschamps is having with some of the players like Cheyrou.

Earl of Leven

What's the rumour?

I assume it's Luis from Seville?

TonyStarks

Price tag is too high for Marseille, they've been linked with a loan move for Berbatov (although I'm not sure how they'll pay that one off)

TonyStarks
14-08-2010, 20:00
What's the rumour?

Marseille made two offers, a first for €10M which was laughed at by Sevilla and a second one for €15M, which was rejected again. And yes, Luis Fabiano of Sevilla.

EDIT : Sevilla are asking for €18M

ChicagoBear
14-08-2010, 20:00
What's the rumour?

Marseille have had a bid turned down by Sevilla, not sure the bid but Sevilla want more than has been offered.

munkoomccoist
14-08-2010, 20:01
What's the rumour?

Yeah mate, and it had arms and legs.

Price tag is too high for Marseille, they've been linked with a loan move for Berbatov (although I'm not sure how they'll pay that one off)

They seem to be in the hunt for a big name. Targetting guys like Luis Fabiano and Berbatov is incredibly ambitious.

TonyStarks
14-08-2010, 20:14
They seem to be in the hunt for a big name. Targetting guys like Luis Fabiano and Berbatov is incredibly ambitious.

They're trying to reinforce their squad ahead of their Champions League campaign. Mamadou Niang is set to leave for Fenerbahce €8M, so they'll definitely need to bring in someone of similar caliber if they wan to compete in the CL.

TonyStarks
14-08-2010, 20:16
Full-time scores :

Brest 1-1 Auxerre
Lorient 1-2 Nice
Nancy 0-3 Rennes
Saint-Etienne 3-2 Sochaux
Valenciennes 3-2 Marseille

Monaco - Montpellier (Postponed)

Virgil Hilts
15-08-2010, 05:45
Marseilles were well beaten again today, and with Niang for the off, and rumours of dressing room strife, it's been a pretty disasterous start for the champs

Virgil Hilts
15-08-2010, 18:07
Toulouse continue their strong start with a 2-1 victory away to Bordeaux andLyon go down 2-3 to new boys Caen who win their second straight game against the big boys

Lille v PSG to come in a couple of hours

ChicagoBear
15-08-2010, 18:10
Getting ready for the Lille/PSG game. Looking forward to it should be decent Sunday night viewing. Going to go for a 3-1 PSG win (so that means everyone get their money on a Lille win) :D

Earl of Leven
15-08-2010, 18:10
Bad start for Bordeaux and Lyon.

interbear
15-08-2010, 18:43
Delighted to see Caen get another win today, 3-2 at home to Lyon. Just promoted, and they've only gone and beaten the champions Marseille and Lyon in their first two games. Superb stuff. I have a soft spot for Caen as my wife & family are all from Normandy, so it's their local team. Only seen them once though, in a Ligue 2 match. Not a bad wee stadium, Stade Malherbe if I recall rightly and their colours are blue and red, works for me :D

TonyStarks
15-08-2010, 19:29
Unreal start to the season, Marseille and Bordeaux bottom of the table with 2 losses and Bordeaux with just 1 point from 2 games !

Virgil Hilts
16-08-2010, 03:29
Goaless draw in Lille, leaving Toulouse and the mighty Caen top of the league, and as Tony pointed out, the surreal sight of Marseille and Bordeaux bottom of the table without a point

Dunantblue
17-08-2010, 09:39
Spurs are ready to make a big offer to PSG for Steph Sessegnon apparently. Will need to be huge to land this player I'd think. Dependent on resulkt against Young Boys?

BTW... what a horrible start for Ligue favourites Marseille. They look a shambles to be fair.

Kiery
17-08-2010, 10:08
I think Stephane Sessegnon is a great player and he would be a great signing for them.

How much would PSG be looking for to get him?

I think Redknapp is waiting on the outcome of their CL qualifier in order to spend tbh.

ChicagoBear
17-08-2010, 10:42
I see stories are saying that Marseille have pulled out of trying to get Fabiano. Sevilla wanting too much for him. Sessegnon is a cracking wee player, I really hope he doesnt come over to Spurs, not too many have went there and progressed as players.

Dunantblue
17-08-2010, 10:43
I see stories are saying that Marseille have pulled out of trying to get Fabiano. Sevilla wanting too much for him. Sessegnon is a cracking wee player, I really hope he doesnt come over to Spurs, not too many have went there and progressed as players.

Bizarrely, there seems to be an air of panic around Marseille at the moment. It's as if they've all been waiting for the bubble to burst and the instability to recommence. A nutcase of a club.

ChicagoBear
17-08-2010, 10:46
Bizarrely, there seems to be an air of panic around Marseille at the moment. It's as if they've all been waiting for the bubble to burst and the instability to recommence. A nutcase of a club.

Must be the Mediterranean Sea air sending them all loopy :D

HARTHILL_GER
17-08-2010, 16:04
Can anyone provide an update on Lisandro’s injury? When is he due back?

ChicagoBear
17-08-2010, 16:06
Can anyone provide an update on Lisandro’s injury? When is he due back?

I think he's back in training and could be back for the game at the weekend, not 100% on that though.

HARTHILL_GER
17-08-2010, 16:08
I think he's back in training and could be back for the game at the weekend, not 100% on that though.

Good. He is missed badly when he doesn't play!!

ChicagoBear
17-08-2010, 16:09
Good. He is missed badly when he doesn't play!!

Yeah, any team would miss a player of his quality.

Dunantblue
17-08-2010, 16:46
A round up of week 2 for those interested.

And the surpises are coming faster than condemned ex French internationals.

The giants of Marseille, Lyon and Bordeaux were all turned over in week two, and with two wins apiece, Toulouse and promoted Caen share top of the table honours at this early stage.

Meanwhile Montpellier, the only side from last season’s top six to have registered a win so far this season, saw their match in Monaco postponed until Tuesday night due to torrential rain in the principality.

After their Week 1 win over champions Marseille caused a stir, Caen claimed another big scalp as they trumped Lyon in a five-goal thriller at the Stade Michel d’Ornano on Sunday night to take second place on the Ligue 1 table. No fluke either. They are playing well and full deserve all six points.

Youssef El-Arabi, the match-winner in Marseille, proved that he is adapting brilliantly to life in Ligue 1, coolly hoisting his second-minute shot over Hugo Lloris before his missed chance in the 16th minute paved the way Sambou Yatabaré to score Caen’s second.

Injuries to Brazilians Cris and Michel Bastos, as well as the sending-off of right-back Anthony Réveillère, were further blows for Claude Puel’s men, but Bafétimbi Gomis was on hand to notch a brace of equalisers (6’, 23’) and keep Lyon in the match. However, Dumas’ boys defended well and countered strongly, wrapping up the three points when Ismaïla N’Diaye pounced late in the game.

Marseille coach Didier Deschamps admitted after his side’s 3-2 loss in Valenciennes that ‘negative things’ off the pitch – concerning the contentious departures of captain Mamadou Niang and Hatem Ben Arfa – had affected his players’ performance.

Looks like Marseille missed their normal state of perpetual turbulence and are going looking for some themselves where none previously existed. Bonkers club reverting to type.

Despite dominating possession in the first half, the champions were poor in attack, leaving the door open for tough-defending Valenciennes to streak ahead 3-0 early in the second half, Gaël Danic pouncing in the 48th minute before Grégory Pujol struck a brace.

Marseille pulled two back in the final ten minutes through Taye Taiwo and Ghana’s André Ayew, but the champions will have to wait at least another week to get their title defence on track.

Bordeaux fell to a second successive loss, this time 2-1 at the hands of south-western rivals Toulouse, with coach Jean Tigana claiming his side is suffering psychologically as a result of last season’s fall from grace. Watch this space and get your money on Tigana not lasting the season.

In contrast, it was a second consecutive win for Alain Casanova’s men, who climbed to the top of the table as Daniel Braaten pounced before Etienne Didot cancelled out Jaroslav Plasil’s equaliser with an 82nd-minute winner.

Brest picked up their first point of the season with a 1-1 draw at home to Auxerre, Nolan Roux opening the scoring (26’) before AJA captain Benoît Pedretti saved the day, fooling everyone as his corner sailed untouched into the back of the net with minutes to go.

Lille drew their second in a row, 0-0 at home to a solid PSG. Rudi Garcia’s men are yet to rediscover last season’ attacking brilliance and PSG proved solid at the back and had the better chances up front through Guillaume Hoarau and Nenê in the second half.

Loïc Rémy proved transfer speculation hasn’t unsettled him as he scored the winner in Nice’s 2-1 victory in Lorient, while Nancy were overwhelmed 3-0 by visiting Rennes, Alfred N’Diaye’s 13th-minute red card proving fatal as Victor-Hugo Montaño, Yacine Brahimi and Ismaël Bangoura all hit the mark.

Saint-Etienne showed some real improvement in defence as they held out for a 3-2 win over Sochaux, a double from captain Loïc Perrin (57’, 64’), on top of David Sauget’s own goal (6’), proving enough of a buffer against strikes from Ryad Boudebouz (66’) and Marvin Martin (67’).

Despite looking to celebrate their first-ever home Ligue 1 fixture with a win over Lens, Arles-Avignon fell to another loss when young gun David Pollet struck in the 69th minute. Poor old Arles look stick ons for relegation already.

NATERFC1
17-08-2010, 16:47
Looking at taking Zenit tonight on the copoun tonight, are Auxerre capable of doing anything in Russia?

ChicagoBear
17-08-2010, 16:49
Good summary Dunant.

Monaco v Montpellier should be decent tonight. I'll plump for Montpellier taking 3 points*.

*get your money on Monaco lads :D

Dunantblue
17-08-2010, 16:50
Good summary Dunant.

Monaco v Montpellier should be decent tonight. I'll plump for Montpellier taking 3 points.

Would like to see Montpellier doing well again this season mate. Got a soft spot for the town and therefore like the team in true old fashioned housewife's choice mode. :D

Dunantblue
17-08-2010, 16:51
Looking at taking Zenit tonight on the copoun tonight, are Auxerre capable of doing anything in Russia?

I would be very surprised if AJ took much from that tie to be honest.

NDiayes Shinpads
17-08-2010, 17:46
Gignac has agreed to join OM, no fee agreed between the clubs though.

Dunantblue
17-08-2010, 18:08
Gignac has agreed to join OM, no fee agreed between the clubs though.

O'M linked with a number of centre forwards. Gignac but one. They desperately need more quality up front.

ankaragucu
17-08-2010, 18:32
big blow for marseille loosing Niang Dunant. Great signing for Fenrbahce who had him and Gyan as there top summer targets. Thats Issair Dia and Mahmadou Niang both signed for Fener

Virgil Hilts
17-08-2010, 22:13
I think Stephane Sessegnon is a great player and he would be a great signing for them.

How much would PSG be looking for to get him?

I believe Le Guen paid Le Mans around £7.5 million for him two years ago, and he has 2 years left on his contract, so id expect they are looking for at least £10M

Dunantblue
18-08-2010, 08:38
big blow for marseille loosing Niang Dunant. Great signing for Fenrbahce who had him and Gyan as there top summer targets. Thats Issair Dia and Mahmadou Niang both signed for Fener

I don't think O'M fought too hard to keep a hold of him mate. You'll find he wont score as many as expected in Turkey.

Virgil Hilts
18-08-2010, 16:14
I don't think O'M fought too hard to keep a hold of him mate. You'll find he wont score as many as expected in Turkey.

Was this transfer down to the player? I seem to remember Deschamps saying Marseille had to sell before they bought, but I also thought he said Niang was off limits

What changed there?

ChicagoBear
19-08-2010, 19:33
Well in amongst all our madness today Marseille have replaced Niang

Marseille have agreed a deal to sign French international forward Loïc Rémy from Nice. OM coach Didier Deschamps says he expects Rémy “to play well and score goals”.

Sauce (http://www.ligue1.com/ligue1/lireArticle.asp?idArticle=16891)

Should be a good signing for them, he better hit the ground running though.

On a side note, PSG won their first leg in the Europa 2-0 against Maccabi Tel Aviv through goals from Luyindula and Hoarau. Should be enough to see them through especially if they grab an away goal.

ChicagoBear
21-08-2010, 14:41
Well week 3 upon us and after a good first couple of weekends for goals here's this weekends fixtures

http://i35.tinypic.com/35c0qrl.jpg

Today Toulouse look to continue their 100% record which they should do against Avignon although they have lost their main man striker, Gignac who has moved to Marseille for 15million Euro

This weekends big game is tomorrow in Paris where PSG take on Bordeaux who have still to get off the mark this season, It will be another tough one for Bordeaux in the Capital against a PSG side who had a good win in the Europa midweek. Sundays game between Montpellier and Caen should be pretty good also with both sides looking to continue their good form.

I'll also go for Marseille to get of the mark today with a win in the Velodrome against Lorient, they cant go 3 weeks without a win, can they?

CoeurdeLion
21-08-2010, 15:15
With Marseille having signed both Remy and Gignac I expect them to start winning on a very regular basis. Tough game v Lorient today but should scrape a win and then start gathering pace from there.

Dunantblue
21-08-2010, 18:47
With Marseille having signed both Remy and Gignac I expect them to start winning on a very regular basis. Tough game v Lorient today but should scrape a win and then start gathering pace from there.

Big big problem with Remy. His medical showed up a congenital heart problem and his career is in doubt as a result.

OnlyOneAmoruso
21-08-2010, 18:48
What happens if he has to retire considering they've just signed him? Does insurance cover this?

munkoomccoist
21-08-2010, 18:49
W.T.F when did Marseille sign Gignac?

Dunantblue
21-08-2010, 18:50
What happens if he has to retire considering they've just signed him? Does insurance cover this?

Seems to be an evolving situation mate. No clear idea what the score is. Poor fella.

Dunantblue
21-08-2010, 18:51

Deal should be complete towards the end of next week mate. The outside football world kinda disappeared on here recently eh? :D

ChicagoBear
21-08-2010, 18:51

All but completed yesterday. Toulouse accepted the offer yesterday.

munkoomccoist
21-08-2010, 18:59
Deal should be complete towards the end of next week mate. The outside football world kinda disappeared on here recently eh? :D

All but completed yesterday. Toulouse accepted the offer yesterday.

Good replacement for Niang then. Really surprised they didn't go for Gyan though. In fact it's bizarre why no one has went for Gyan. He was great at the 2006 WC notwithstanding South Africa.

munkoomccoist
21-08-2010, 19:40
Cest genial! Terrific strike from Taiwo to put Marseille 2 up.

Virgil Hilts
21-08-2010, 20:23
Very disappointing Toulouse chose to sell Gignac, they have just thrown their chances of winning the title (and probably CL participation) down the drain

munkoomccoist
21-08-2010, 20:26
Marseille looked good against a decent Lorient side. Bit shaky at the back but any notion that we could overcome them in the CL should be dismissed without a 2nd thought.

Taiwo is as good as any left back out there right now.

Virgil Hilts
21-08-2010, 20:36
Marseille looked good against a decent Lorient side. Bit shaky at the back but any notion that we could overcome them in the CL should be dismissed without a 2nd thought.

Nor so sure, we weren't given a chance before humping Lyon

miraculous
21-08-2010, 20:37
not too impressed by lyon in the 2nd half against brest, who i thought played some good stuff & were unlucky

munkoomccoist
21-08-2010, 23:40
How did the Lyon game finish?

Dunantblue
22-08-2010, 20:01
Gourcuff warming the bench for tonight's big game against PSG in Paris.

Bold move by Tigana, or just plain daft?

Dunantblue
22-08-2010, 20:04
How did the Lyon game finish?

1-0 mate. Brest slightly unlucky.

Sash_Man
22-08-2010, 20:04
did PLG go back to the french league after the WC, or is he unemployed?

Dunantblue
22-08-2010, 21:42
PSG 1 - 1 with Girondins.

15 left.

Horau equlised an earlier goal by Diarra.

rosstheger
22-08-2010, 21:44
Ludovic Giuly, what a fine wee player, still doing well?

Apparantley, involved in the PSG goal?

Dunantblue
22-08-2010, 22:01
Late winner for Bordeaux. Ciani. Right at the death.

Dunantblue
23-08-2010, 13:42
This weekend's review of th French Ligue 1.

Bordeaux finally released some pressure on new coach Jean Tiganaby pippingPSG at Parc des Prince thanks to Michaël Ciani’s towering injury-time header on Sunday night. A welcome three points for Girondins, but they were lucky, still look out of sorts and really did win this against the run of play.

Apparently Gourcuff wasbenched by Tigana after the young playmaker lodged a transfer request on the night before the match. Despite this, he came off the bench to deliver the telling ball for Ciani.

Champions Marseille also notched their first 3 points as they struck two unanswered goals at home to Lorient on Saturday night. Argentine defender Gabriel Heinze bullied the ball home in the sixth minute. Hotly pusued Lorient target man Kévin Gameiro looked to be getting back to his best after an ankle injury but new OM captain Steve Mandanda kept him off the scoresheet before left-back Taiwo brought it hom for O'M in the 71st-minute.

Lyon also got on track against Brest on Saturday night, Cameroon international Jean II Makoun scoring the only goal of the game with a crafty 26th-minute strike to give his side their first win of the season.

Toulouse stayed in first spot with a third-straight win, 2-1 over bottom side Arles-Avignon, who already look doomed to an immediate return to the lower leagues. Daniel Braaten and Etienne Didot struck for Tolouse, and early signs are that Alain Casanova’s men will frighten the best of them this season even if Gignac heads South.

In a blast from the past, Camel Meriem made his bow for Arles.

Early front runners Caen managed to keep a rampant Montpellier at bay to hold out for a 0-0 draw against René Girard’s men. The home side’s three-pronged attack created umpteen chances, but on an amazing night for the Caen keeper they ended frustrated.

Auxerre’s Ireneusz Jelen’s scored his first of the season to cancel out Gaël Danic’s 66th-minute effort for Valenciennes, but Jean Fernandez’s men had to make do with their third draw of the season ahead of the visit of Zenit St Petersburg in their Champions League qualifier’s second leg on Wednesday night.

Sochaux kept their first clean sheet in long and weary to grab one of the weekend's goalless draws with Lille. Lille haven’t scored since the opening day and really need to spark soon beforethey are left behind.

Monaco let a two-goal lead slip in Lens to draw 2-2, and despite losing former Taarrier Landry N’Guemo to their third red card of the season, Nancy grabbed a late 1-1 draw in Nice.

Saint-Etienne could only manage a 0-0 draw in Rennes as new recruit Carlos Bocanegra faced his old team for the first time.

Dunantblue
23-08-2010, 14:49
Guiraine N'Daw on way out at ASSE. They cant keep hold of him and Wolves have apparently cooled interest given their need to keep the squad down to 25 senior players.

Could we be looking at him? Sure we were linked with him before. Left sided midfielder or left back. Very big and powerful.

Bit more defensive than I would have thought we wre looking, but definitely a viable option defensively on left side.

rosstheger
23-08-2010, 14:51
Any latest on Gourcuff's potential transfer away from Bordeaux?

Dunantblue
23-08-2010, 14:58
Any latest on Gourcuff's potential transfer away from Bordeaux?

Bordeaux playing hard ball and slapping a mental price on his head. Man City said to be sniffing around with a €30 million cheque in their back pocket :roll:

rosstheger
23-08-2010, 15:00
Bordeaux playing hard ball and slapping a mental price on his head. Man City said to be sniffing around with a €30 million cheque in their back pocket :roll:

He'd be daft to go there haha :D

What about a return to Italy perhaps?

Dunantblue
23-08-2010, 15:04
He'd be daft to go there haha :D

What about a return to Italy perhaps?

Think the boy has a suspect temperament to be honest. Better staying put.

Virgil Hilts
23-08-2010, 16:38
What a heartbreaker for PSG. Totally dominated that game and sucker punched twice.
Looks another season of under achieving for the capital side. I thought PSG played some beautiful football going forward but they are really lacking a clinical finisher. While i like both Erding and Hoarau as forwards, neither is what you would call an out and out goalscorer. Erding contributes a lot with his work rate, and I see Hoarau more in the mould of an old fashioned target man with his height.

Although Nene and Bodmar were both very good signings, they havent really strengthened the side. Nene to me looks a natural replacement for an aging Guilly, whereas Bodmar is really just an alternate to Clement. Clement being stronger defensively while Bodmar perhaps offers slight more going forward

Im really surprised Kombouare has not addressed his defence in the off season. He needs to decide if he is going to stick with Sahko (who after all was Le Guen's man) and if so get a solid partner to play beside him as Camera is a bit of a bomb scare. Full backs are also a problem. Not a huge fan of Ceara and Jallet is far better going forward than playing defensively. Im also not convinced Coupet was a better option than Landreau.

Lots for Kombouare to address before August 31st or his jacket might well be on a shoogly peg

onlyrangers
23-08-2010, 16:58
Lyon are in for Gourcouff, according to L'Equipe today... €20 million

No word yet on the Remy situation.

OnlyOneAmoruso
24-08-2010, 00:33
Meriem is a bit of a blast from the past right enough!

TonyStarks
24-08-2010, 03:38
Meriem is a bit of a blast from the past right enough!

I read somewhere that Arles have brought in 15 new players this season .. and they're still bottom of the league :(

Dunantblue
24-08-2010, 13:19
Latest news today leave little doubt that Yoann Gourcuff will sign for Lyon this week. Fee thought to be in th region of €25 million. Decent business having paid AC Milan €15 million fo him under 2 years ago.

By way of a replacement Girondins are looking at Yohann Cabaye, Lille's box to box dynamo.

Lassana Diarra and Karim benzema have both been told by Jose they have no future at Real. Spurs and Juventus are the respective suitors.

onlyrangers
24-08-2010, 13:20
Gourcouff confirmed to Lyon for €22 million

And Remy's heart tests have come back OK so he will join Marseille this week for €15.5 million, alongside Gignac, who signed last week.

Dunantblue
25-08-2010, 19:54
Chu Young Park, the young South Korean striker at Monaco looks like he is heading out of the door and towards the Premiership. His folk met Chelsea last weekend and the Blues are ready to put together an 8 million offer for the lad.

Tough times for French clubs who really are consistently struggling to keep a hold of their best players.

Dunantblue
26-08-2010, 11:13
Nearly 20,000 turned up to greet Gourcuff at Lyon yesterday. They see him as the figure to take them back to the top. I have my doubts.

Loic Remy finally confirmed as clear of heart trouble and now a Marseille player.

Auxerre in a daze about making the Champions League. A quite incredible achievement, and one to compare with what we will have to achieve in future years.

Dunantblue
26-08-2010, 11:58
Gathering interest in Lorient striker Kevin Gameiro. The club have said he can go, but only if someone stumps up near on 20 million feckin euros. Holy christ. :eek:

Dunantblue
27-08-2010, 11:16
The French media are saying that Arsenal are looking to Mikael Landreau to solve their goalkeeping problems. Strange one.

Monaco and Chelsea still shadow boxing over the South Korean. 9 million seen as a bit too steep by Chelsea I think.

Benalouane expected to finalise his transfer to Juventus this weekend.

Dunantblue
28-08-2010, 14:15
Ben Arfa has completed a loan move to Newcastle.

Could be a very good move for player and club. Ben Arfa offers lots of creativity. Depends if they can get his head in the right nick. Could offer a lot of quality.

Virgil Hilts
28-08-2010, 18:26
Lorient ruin Gourcuff's Lyon debut, winning 2-0 at home

Toulouse stay top beating Nancy 1-0 away, Rennes win at Arles 1-0 to go 2nd. Montpellier win 1-0 away to Valencienes, while St Etienne enjoy a nice 3-1 at home to Lens

Caen lost at Brest 2-0

Pick of the weekend tomorrow with Marseille visiting Bordeaux

Virgil Hilts
29-08-2010, 22:48
Bordeaux score late again to grab a 1-1 draw at home against Marseille

Jeremy Clement sent off as PSG crash 3-1 to Sochaux, Monaco cruise past Auxerre 2-0 to leave the CL wonderkids in second bottom spot, and Lille and Nice share the points in a 1-1 draw

Dunantblue
30-08-2010, 16:21
This week's round up folks.

As the pre season favourites and traditional big guns of the French game continue to stutter and fall in an abysmal start to the season, it's Toulouse who are setting the early pace. They continued their perfect start to the season by beating Nancy 2-0 and find themselves a clear four points ahead of the chasing pack at the top of the table.

Bordeaux snatched a late 1-1 draw against ten-man Marseille, victory eluded Auxerre, Lille and PSG after their mid-week European successes. Meanwhile Brest notched their first win of the campaign 2-0 away to early-season pace-setters and fellow promotees Caen.

Really high quality goals from Etienne Capoue and Franck Tabanou helped Toulouse cruise to 2-0 away win over Nancy that sent the TFC sprinting ahead of their competition Tyson Gay style. Coach Casanova has them looking really good at this early stage of the campaign and goals do not look to be the problem they have been in recent seasons. Four wins from four games suggests they could compete for the top spots this season.

Casanova’s midfield stifled the home side throughout the match, limiting the Nancy attack to just one chance in the first half before France U-21 international Capoue capped off an excellent all-round performance with a sweet finish after nutmegging Jordan Lotiès on the edge of the area.

Nancy pushed hard for the equaliser, but Tabanou clinched the points in the third minute of injury time with a world class solo run from inside his own half – topped off by a deftly chipped finish – to send their hosts into 18th place.

Bordeaux struggled to break down an OM side impressively organised and dangerous despite being at ten men for last hour of the match, but fought to the bitter end as new recruit Anthony Modeste pounced with three minute left to snatch a dramatic 1-1 draw after the influential Lucho Gonzalez had put the visitors ahead in the 12th minute.

After Edouard Cissé saw red for a horrible two-legged tackle on Jaroslav Plasil, Marseille didn’t flinch in the face of Bordeaux’s numerical advantage. Loïc Rémy impressed in his Marseille debut and went close to widening the gap, but home ’keeper Cédric Carrasso produced a series of top-notch saves to keep his side within striking distance until Modeste pounced.

Despite the debut of France midfielder Yoann Gourcuff, Lyon's dismal early season form continued this week as goals from Kévin Gameiro and Lynel Kitambala handed Lorient a 2-0 win – their first of the season and their first on their new synthetic pitch – that sent Lyon into 17th place. Worrying times for Lyon.

Meanwhile Rennes and Montpellier rose to second and third place respectively with their second wins of the season. Frédéric Antonetti’s men managed a 1-0win over a vastly improved Arles-Avignon thanks to a thundering strike from distance from Victor-Hugo Montaño, while Montpellier had new boy Olivier Giroud – who scored his first top-flight goal – to thank for their 1-0 win in Valenciennes.

Auxerre, so impressive in qualifying for the CL group phase were looking to maintain the momentum this weekend, but Guy Lacombe’s unbeaten Monaco took advantage of AJA’s obvious fatigue as former Auxerre striker Daniel Niculae and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang both scored their second goals in two matches to notch a first win of the season. Difficult to see Auxerre having the resources to fight credibly on the domestic and European fronts simultaneously. What will give though as they work towards the winter break?

Despite qualifying for the group phase of the Europa league on Thursday, PSG’s league season went from bad to worse as they took a good old fashioned hammering from a vibrant Sochaux. This really was as good a display of attacking football as you were likely to see anywhere in Europe this weekend, and PSG had no answer. First-half goals from Modibo Maïga, Ideye Brown and Damien Perquis more than a match for Guillaume Hoarau’s lone strike just after the break.

Lille also tasted Europa League success during the week, but could only manage a 1-1 draw against Nice as Gervinho set up Eden Hazard to score early in the second half and cancel out Emerse Faé’s 34th-minute penalty. Lille continue to under achieve at this early stage of the season.

Saint-Etienne continue to surprise a lot of observers as they climbed to fifth place with a 3-1 horsing of Lens thanks to a career-first hat-trick from Dimitri Payet, whose incisive wing play and dazzling finishing à la Arjen Robben made Issam Jemaâ’s injury time goal a mere consolation. If Payet keeps this kind of form and intensity up this season he will be an attractive prospect for a lot of clubs come the winter transfer window.

Brest claimed their first maximum haul of the season with a 2-0 win away to last season’s Ligue 2 rivals Caen, Nolan Roux and Mario Licka (from the spot) doing the damage after Sambou Yatabaré was sent off for the hosts in the 19th minute

NATERFC1
30-08-2010, 16:33
Surely Claude Puel must be close to the sack? He was brilliant for Lille, and apart from the Champions league run he has had a poor time at Lyon and spent a fortune

Dunantblue
30-08-2010, 16:36
Surely Claude Puel must be close to the sack? He was brilliant for Lille, and apart from the Champions league run he has had a poor time at Lyon and spent a fortune

League form doesn't pick up and they make no progress in the CL and Puel will be out on his arse.

OnlyOneAmoruso
30-08-2010, 16:40
Brilliant round up again Dunant.

I guess everything got cleared up with Remy's heart condition then?

Good to see Toulouse aren't letting Gignac leaving get them down:D

Dunantblue
30-08-2010, 16:47
Brilliant round up again Dunant.

I guess everything got cleared up with Remy's heart condition then?

Good to see Toulouse aren't letting Gignac leaving get them down:D

Thanks mate.

Yeah Remy got the all clear after 3 days of intensive medical examination. Poor ****er must have felt like a lab rat.

For all his goals Gignac didn't help the team down there. They look a much better balanced side this season.

Lyon look dismal at the moment btw. Really poor. All going pearshaped for Puel I'm afraid. Winter return for le Guen?

CertifiedWeissfanboy
30-08-2010, 16:47
Landreau is apparently the back up option should Schwarzer not sign. For a fee of £6.5M, surely that's exorbitant?

Wenger is very keen on Eden Hazard as well.

Dunantblue
30-08-2010, 16:48
Landreau is apparently the back up option should Schwarzer not sign. For a fee of £6.5M, surely that's exorbitant?

Wenger is very keen on Eden Hazard as well too.

Hazard is too similar to the type of player Arsenal have falling out of the back door at the moment.

CertifiedWeissfanboy
30-08-2010, 16:49
Hazard is too similar to the type of player Arsenal have falling out of the back door at the moment.

Yeah, it won't happen any time soon. Wenger loves him though. Reminds me of Nasri a bit.

Dunantblue
30-08-2010, 16:53
Yeah, it won't happen any time soon. Wenger loves him though. Reminds me of Nasri a bit.

I think Hazard will be a better player than Nasri.

CertifiedWeissfanboy
30-08-2010, 16:56
I think Hazard will be a better player than Nasri.

Nasri can do some things that are truly outrageous. He's absurdly gifted. His problem is that as well as being injury prone, his best games for Arsenal have always came when being utilised in a more central role - a position he'll never get to play with any regularity until Fabregas eventually leaves for Barcelona.

He frustrates the life out of me at times. I've not seen much of Hazard but he's seemingly worth the hype.

Dunantblue
30-08-2010, 17:39
Nasri can do some things that are truly outrageous. He's absurdly gifted. His problem is that as well as being injury prone, his best games for Arsenal have always came when being utilised in a more central role - a position he'll never get to play with any regularity until Fabregas eventually leaves for Barcelona.

He frustrates the life out of me at times. I've not seen much of Hazard but he's seemingly worth the hype.

Very much worth the hype mate IMHO. A superb attacking midfielder who has just about everything the modern game requires.

If he doesn't go on to be a big player I will be stunned.

CertifiedWeissfanboy
03-09-2010, 16:17
Wee piece about the brilliant Steve Savidan from todays Guardian. Football can be cruel sometimes.

There are plenty of players who went from non-league football to represent their country. Stuart Pearce started out at Wealdstone, Les Ferdinand was at Hayes and Ian Wright was playing Sunday League when he was spotted by Crystal Palace. But all those players had been taken on by big clubs by their early 20s. Savidan, on the other hand, was still playing semi-professional football for non-league French team Angoulême at the age of 26, putting in shifts as a barman and bin-collector to pay the bills. Savidan believed he was ignored when he was younger because his height – 5ft 7in – counted against him. "I am proof that the system doesn't always work," Savidan said. "I was born at the wrong time. I'm from the same generation as Henry and Anelka, and when they were coming through you had to be well over six foot to be picked for youth schemes. I'm quite a bit under." Savidan was also troubled by mental health problems. "It's possible that I destroyed myself. Very possible, in fact," he said. "You could almost say I was suicidal." But when he signed for Valenciennes, Savidan got help from their GP and helped the club move from the third division to Ligue 1. In 2008, at the age of 30, he made his debut for France against Uruguay. Patrick Vieira invited him for dinner after the game but Savidan turned the invitation down, saying he had to train the next morning. In 2009, Savidan appeared to have secured a move that would set him up for life when Monaco came in for him but his career had one last, savage twist: the medical revealed a heart defect and Savidan was forced to retire at the age of 31.

Now coaching the under 9's at his hometown hockey club, ASG Angers (not to be confused with the footballing Ligue 2 side, Angers SCO).

Dunantblue
03-09-2010, 19:09
Wee piece about the brilliant Steve Savidan from todays Guardian. Football can be cruel sometimes.

Now coaching the under 9's at his hometown hockey club, ASG Angers (not to be confused with the footballing Ligue 2 side, Angers SCO).

Thanks for that mate. Great wee piece. Savidan was a proper poacher. A really good penalty box striker in the old sense.

CertifiedWeissfanboy
05-09-2010, 14:21
Thanks for that mate. Great wee piece. Savidan was a proper poacher. A really good penalty box striker in the old sense.

Savidan was cracking, mate. He'd really have done Domenech a turn.

Last month, France won the Under-19 European Championships on home soil by beating Spain 2-1 in the final. It was the nation's first youth title since 2005, when a side that contained Yoann Gourcuff, Abou Diaby and Hugo Lloris won the same tournament in Northern Ireland.
As that trio figured in France's ill-fated World Cup campaign this summer, hopes are high that the current crop of youngsters, known as the "1991 generation," after the year of their birth, will go onto great things. Below is a list of the most promising French youngsters under 21, all of whom face important challenges in the coming season.

1. Yann M'Vila (Midfielder, Rennes, 20)
Maybe Raymond Domenech knew something we didn't, after all. The disgraced former France coach pulled his trademark surprise in picking M'Vila on his 30-man World Cup long-list, but the young midfielder did not make the final cut for South Africa. As M'Vila recently admitted, it was a blessing in disguise: he made his debut in Laurent Blanc's first game as France coach last week against Norway and was Les Bleus' best player.
M'Vila played as a sweeper at the base of a diamond midfield four in the first half, dropping back to allow Philippe Mexes to bring the ball out of defense, and switching the play quickly whenever he won possession. "He shows amazing maturity for such a young player in an important position," said World Cup winner-turned-pundit Bixente Lizarazu. Given that Lass Diarra was disappointing in his second-half appearance alongside M'Vila in a 4-2-3-1, the Rennes youngster looks certain to be part of France's Euro 2012 qualifying campaign.

2. Gael Kakuta (Winger, Chelsea, 19)
Kakuta came to prominence for the wrong reasons, when FIFA found Chelsea guilty of inducing him to break his contract with French club Lens in 2007, when he was 16. Chelsea won their appeal against a transfer embargo and Kakuta's cameo appearances for the club last season suggested their efforts were worthwhile. A tricky winger with an eye for goal, Kakuta was also central to France Under-19s European Championships success last month, with two goals and an assist on the winning goal in the final against Spain. He was named Player of the Tournament.
"He is like Ronaldinho in the way he can take out three players with one dribble, and he has an eye for goal," said Under-19 coach Francis Smerecki. While at Chelsea, they are just as impressed. Coach Carlo Ancelotti, said he had never seen such a talented teenager. John Obi Mikel added: "He is the best at the club it terms of skills; he knows just what to do when he has the ball at his feet."
Kakuta will be part of Chelsea's first-team squad this season and can expect to add to his four appearances for the club. As one Lens-based reporter put it, "All the signs are he has potential to be the next Thierry Henry rather than the next Jeremie Aliadiere."

3. Gueida Fofana (Midfielder, Le Havre, 19)
Fofana captained France's successful Under-19 European champions this summer, going into the tournament on the back of a breakout season at Le Havre in Ligue 2. Reports in France claim that Chelsea, Barcelona and Liverpool are already interested in the defensive midfielder but Le Havre president Jean-Pierre Louvel has said, "We have had no concrete offers."
Fofana joined Le Havre at age 11 and has represented every level of France's youth teams. He can drop back in defense and is a natural leader on the pitch. As one of the best producers of young talent in France, a team of Le Havre graduates would take some beating (Mandanda, N'Zogbia, Diawara, Boumsong, Chimbonda, L Diarra, A Diarra, Dhorasoo, Hoarau, Niang, Sinama-Pongolle). Fofana could earn a place in that elite group soon.

4. Yannis Tafer (Striker, Lyon, 19)
Prolific young striker with Algerian heritage set to become a key player at Lyon: if it sounds familiar, that's because it is. Yannis Tafer has spent his short career being compared to Karim Benzema and insisting he is different. "I am flattered to be spoken of in the same breath as Karim, but we have different profiles. Our story is similar, but we play differently on the pitch."
Tafer, who scored in France's draw against England in its recent European Under-19s triumph, is less explosive and arguably less selfish than the Real Madrid forward, although he is an excellent finisher. His best position is just behind the main forward, like with Lyon teammate Lisandro Lopez.
It is a sign of how much Lyon's management trusted in Tafer for the coming season that they were prepared to sell Bafetimbi Gomis to Fenerbahce for €14m. "We have Lisandro, Jimmy Briand and Tafer, and all of them are fantastic players," said president Jean-Michel Aulas. Tafer scored 5 minutes into his first game of last season, making another eight appearances from the bench. He looks set to add to that tally this season and could become an impact substitute for the title-challengers this campaign.

5. Mamadou Sakho (Defender, Paris Saint-Germain, 20)
Sakho has become a rare bright spot during a difficult period in the history of Paris Saint-Germain (amid board-room turmoil, rioting fans and on-pitch struggles) ,and the promise shown in him when former coach Paul Le Guen made him the club's youngest-ever captain at 17 for a league match against Valenciennes is now bearing fruit.
Now vice-captain, his skipper Claude Makelele has predicted a great career ahead for Sakho, and Blanc sang his praises when he was called into the squad for last week's friendly. "It's rare to see a left-footed center back and there's always a better balance at the back if a left-footer plays alongside a right-footer," said the coach. Sakho did not play in the game, but he will get his chance before too long.
For the second summer running, PSG have denied reports linking him with Arsenal: Sakho has become the emblem of the capital club, and though a better season in Ligue 1 is in store, PSG might not be able to hold onto its prize asset beyond next summer.

6. Antoine Griezmann (Winger, Real Sociedad, 19)
Along with Fofana, Griezmann is the only Under-19 European winner to have secured a regular place in his club side, and he had to move abroad to do that. Signed by Real Sociedad in 2005, the left-winger worked his way through the youth teams and after an outstanding pre-season last summer, was thrown into the first team last season.
His impact was immediate: the Segunda defenders could not deal with his pace and crosses, and he was a key part of the Sociedad side that topped the division and will play in La Liga this season. His progress was almost missed by French scouts, who only gave him his first call-up to the Under-19 side earlier this year. He did enough to keep his place and scored two goals on the way to France's victory.
Just before the tournament, Sociedad made perhaps its smartest move: rejecting interest from Lyon, Auxerre and Saint-Etienne, and agreeing to a five-year contract with Griezmann with a buy-out clause of €30m. The big names in Spanish football will soon find out if that price is right.

7. Emmanuel Riviere (Striker, Saint-Etienne, 20)
The striker was the hero for Saint-Etienne last season after a run of five goals in seven games which lifted Les Verts out of relegation trouble. His winning goal against Boulogne last May secured safety for France's fallen giants, and he is set for a first-team regular spot this season. Spotted by Saint-Etienne playing at a tournament in Martinique aged 14, Riviere turned down Lyon and Paris Saint-Germain because Les Verts was the most popular team on the island. "It has a fantastic record at bringing through young players, and I was promised the chance to show my potential here," he explained.
Frederic Piquionne, the France international and another Martiniquias, took the youngster under his wing in his early days at Saint-Etienne, and Riviere now dreams of emulating his mentor. "Frederic taught me so much and to play for France and in England would be a true dream for me," he said. Unsurprisingly, Arsenal is his favourite English club, but don't expect a move anytime soon: last month Saint-Etienne extended his contract until 2014. "I love this club and can work calmly with a coach, Christophe Galtier, who has shown great faith in me."

8. Henri Saivet (Attacking midfielder, Bordeaux, 19)
Last season, Bordeaux coach Blanc rejected four offers to take Saivet on loan, but he only picked him to start two first-team matches, one of which was the Champions League tie against Maccabi Haifa (he made five other substitute appearances).
This time around, with Bordeaux lacking in funds due to their failure to make the Champions League and having lost Marouane Chamakh to Arsenal, the club has again turned down Valenciennes and Lorient's requests to borrow the rapid forward who has been compared to Henry. Instead, Saivet is set to figure under new coach Jean Tigana, who said: "He has impressed me for some time, he has explosive pace and a bright future in the game."
Born in Senegal, Saivet is a France Under-19 international and could qualify for either nation. At the moment, though, he is only focusing on getting a chance in the Bordeaux team. "I played at right-midfield against Haifa, and I felt comfortable there, I can play anywhere at all," he said. "I just want to stay fit and have a run in the team to show what I can do."

9. Chris Mavinga (Defender, Liverpool, 19)
Mavinga met recently with Liverpool's new coach, Roy Hodgson, to discuss his future at the club and potential opportunities for the coming season after impressing in France's Under-19s European win. The defender may benefit from a loan spell to give him playing time after a season in the Reds reserves where he played at center back and left back.
Rafa Benitez beat Arsenal to his signature last summer from Paris Saint-Germain 14 months ago, and though the teenager was hoping to work alongside Sami Hyypia at Anfield, he has credited Jamie Carragher for helping him settle. He's still waiting for a first-team appearance for the Reds, and though he has spoken about one day returning to PSG, he is desperate to make the breakthrough at Liverpool.

10. Gilles Sunu (Striker, Arsenal, 19)
Every coach likes a player who listens, and it seems that Sunu has been doing just that. After a loan spell at Championship club Derby County last season, in which he scored once in six starts, coach Nigel Clough demanded more of an end-product. "Sunu's pace frightens people, but he has to learn to use it more," he said. "He has to put in a cross or a shot when he gets the chance."
That's exactly what happened this summer, when Sunu coolly chipped home a cross from Tafer to equalize for France Under-19s in its European final win over Spain. Sunu has an excellent scoring record at youth level: last year, he followed up a hat-trick against Wolves in the FA Youth Cup fourth round with goals against Manchester City (semifinal) and Liverpool (final) as Arsenal lifted the trophy. Columnist Steve Claridge, writing in The Guardian, praised Sunu's "dazzling display" and added: "If you provide the service to Sunu, he will provide the finish."
He did make two appearances for Arsenal's first team last season, including one in the Champions League against Olympiakos, but with opportunities limited among Arsenal's strike-force this season, he would make a canny loan signing for someone this season.

Dunantblue
10-09-2010, 09:38
Interesting approach being taken by Blanc.

He clearly intends to place a lot of faith in local talent. A policy at least initially justified after Tuesday's 2-0 win away to Bosnia and Herzegovina, where six players who ply their trade in the domestic league were excellent. Adil Rami, Yann M’Vila and Alou Diarra could yet form a solid spine for the foreseeable future.

Since coming into the job in July, Blanc has been crystal clear over what his intent is. One of several points he has hammered home is that he wants the best of France's youngsters staying in their home ligue for longer. He is urging them to spend at least a few seasons as Ligue 1 regulars – and if possible to win some silverware – before chasing the money abroad.

Blanc is convinced teenagers like Gaël Kakuta, Francis Coquelin or Chris Mavinga will not develop as quickly as their peers while they are stuck playing in the Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool reserves. Anthony Le Tallec, Florent Sinama-Pongolle and Jérémie Aliadière are examples he cites of gifted players who lost their way after moving to England as kids. Recently players who many believed had already made the transition from promise to established stardom have toiled after joining top clubs. Blanc has gone as far as warning Karim Benzema and Lassana Diarra they must be playing for Real Madrid if they want a game for his national team.

Although suspensions and injuries were an issue over this first round of international matches, Le Président put his money where his mouth was by naming 15 Ligue 1 players in his 23-man squad for the first two Euro 2012 qualifiers. Losing to Belarus was a duff start, but Tuesday’s very good display in Sarajevo gacve cause for considerable optimism.

At the heart of the performance were two midfielders who embody Blanc’s fresh approach.

Alou Diarra spent his formative years turning out for Liverpool and Bayern Munich’s second string teams. The man once dubbed ‘the new Vieira’ returned to France a failure in 2002, and had to rebuild his career during spells at Le Havre, Bastia and Lens. A difficult season at Lyon preceded his move to Bordeaux where, thanks in no small part to Blanc, he has become the player he so long promised to be.

It shouldn't be forgotten that Diarra is already be 29 but he came of age in a France shirt this week. Handed the armband, he anchored the midfield with authority, aggression and class. Diarra won everything in the air and his telescopic legs stopped the Bosnian midfielders in their tracks time and time again with crunching challenges. Perhaps it is a sign of maturity or perhaps Blanc’s presence has reassured him, but this was a very different player to the timid figure that froze against the Republic of Ireland in last year’s World Cup play-off.

If Philippe Mexès and Florent Malouda wore the armband against Norway and Belarus respectively, Blanc seems likely to settle on his most recent choice.

The former Internazionale defender may point to Diarra’s meandering career path as an example of why French youngsters should not be in a hurry to leave home. Had he resisted the lure to move abroad aged 18, he would surely have won more than 27 caps by now.

One man Blanc hopes will be staying in Ligue 1 for a little while yet is Rennes star in the making M’Vila. Playing to the left of Diarra in a midfield three that also included Arsenal’s Abou Diaby, the 20-year-old was outstanding again on Tuesday, having also impressed against Belarus. A short, stocky midfielder, M’Vila reads the game brilliantly, tackles well and uses the ball cleverly.

Lille centre-back Rami was under a bit of pressure to perform but came through the test with his reputation enhanced. The 24-year-old from Corsica looked strong and commanding alongside Mexès, even providing his colleague with a reassuring hug after a firecracker had left the AS Roma defender shaken. France have lacked a commanding presence at the back since Blanc’s playing days. Rami could be the answer.

To add to the positive vibe Mathieu Valbuena made his full debut and provided a lively presence on the right wing, while Saint-Etienne midfielder Blaise Matuidi showed plenty of promise after coming off the bench.

Dunantblue
10-09-2010, 17:45
Massive game this weekend with the Nord derby between Lens and Lille.

A game I'd recommend any football lover go and watch for a fantastic atmosphere generated by two sets of proper football supporters from two proper football towns.

Both have made a poor start to the season and will be looking to kick start a push for points.

Looking forward to it.

CertifiedWeissfanboy
10-09-2010, 21:33
What do you make of Diaby, Dunant? I reckon on his day he could dominate any midfield but his biggest problem is that as soon as any team inflicts pressure on him, he falls to pieces. Put him up against a 5 man midfield and he's useless. It's frustrating as he's precocious and technically is just so brilliant.

Dunantblue
10-09-2010, 21:37
What do you make of Diaby, Dunant? I reckon on his day he could dominate any midfield but his biggest problem is that as soon as any team inflicts pressure on him, he falls to pieces. Put him up against a 5 man midfield and he's useless. It's frustrating as he's precocious and technically is just so brilliant.

Dont think he has settled as a player or an athlete yet. Still young, no?

Folk have no patience about these lads these days mate.

CertifiedWeissfanboy
10-09-2010, 21:40
Dont think he has settled as a player or an athlete yet. Still young, no?

Folk have no patience about these lads these days mate.

Still plenty of potential to fulfil mate, i concur. Same goes for young Denilson. Also have to keep in mind Diaby suffered a really bad injury at Sunderland a few years ago (week before the CL final IIRC).

I do agree. Walcott's been a really decent international player for England overall to date, and he's been written off at 21. It's the British way.

Dunantblue
10-09-2010, 21:46
Still plenty of potential to fulfil mate, i concur. Same goes for young Denilson. Also have to keep in mind Diaby suffered a really bad injury at Sunderland a few years ago (week before the CL final IIRC).

I do agree. Walcott's been a really decent international player for England overall to date, and he's been written off at 21. It's the British way.

Wenger must wonder what planet some of the supposed football community in England live on.

The treatment of Walcott has been nothing short of scandalous. Guys like Hansen should hang their heads in shame at how ridiculously OTT he has been.

These kids at Arsenal are part of a long long term project, they are all coming along and Wenger has to be praised for the way he is handling it IMHO.

Remember. With this team of kids who are criticised for having no spine and no heart and no dig he continually finishes top 4.

Incredible IMHO.

Dunantblue
17-09-2010, 18:44
A very belated update after last weekend's matches.

Ligue 1’s Champions League representatives all failed to win last weekend, leaders Toulouse lost for the first time this season, and Lille all of a sudden rediscovered the flair that made them the top scorers in the division last season.

Arles-Avignon were battered 4-0 at Paris Saint-Germain and remain pointless and rooted to the bottom, while 2009 champions Bordeaux lost at high-flying Nice and are in the drop zone.

Add up the points garnered by Ligue 1’s Champions League hopefuls Marseille (5), Lyon (5) and Auxerre (4) and you get 14, just two more than table toppers Toulouse boast.

Yoann Gourcuff played his first full 90 minutes for OL in the 1-1 draw with Valenciennes at the Stade Gerland. Gaëtan Bong headed home a second-half equaliser for Valenciennes after youngster Jérémy Pied had fired the seven-time champions in front.

Nevertheless Lyon coach Claude Puel saw reasons for optimism. “This was our best performance of the season. We would have preferred to win playing less seductive football. Our European opponents Schalke have also had a difficult start.”

Marseille came from behind twice to draw with Monaco at the Stade Vélodrome. Fresh from shining with France Mathieu Valbuena was OM’s inspiration, scoring once, while it was the diminutive wide man’s shot that was turned into his own net by Adriano for the equaliser. 2008-2009 Ligue 1 top scorer André-Pierre Gignac made his first OM start after his move from Toulouse but needs more football to rediscover his best form after ankle problems. South Korean star Chu-Young Park put Monaco ahead for the second time in the 79th minute, while Romanian forward Daniel Niculae netted the principality club's opener.

Auxerre are still without a win in Ligue 1, slipping to a fourth draw in five games as Youssef El-Arabi, newly capped by Morocco, plundered a 93rd minute equaliser for Caen to cancel out Auxerre captain Benoît Pedretti’s first-half opener. AJA face a daunting trip to AC Milan on Wednesday with OM at home to Spartak Moscow the same evening.

Toulouse remain top despite slumping to a 1-0 defeat at home to Saint-Etienne with the winner scored by veteran TFC old boy Laurent Batlles. Les Verts flirted with relegation in each of the past two seasons but are now in the heady heights of third. Batlles joined Saint-Etienne on a free transfer from relegated Grenoble in the summer and the club are proving that frugality in the transfer market need not translate to poor performances on the pitch.

Rennes are second and cut the gap between themselves and Toulouse to a single point. Defender Kader Mangane emulated El-Arabi with a 93rd minute goal that sealed a 2-1 home win over Sochaux. Frédéric Antonetti’s side proved they could score goals even with Ghanaian World Cup star Asamoah Gyan having joined Premier League club Sunderland on the final day of the transfer window.

Scorers of 72 Ligue 1 goals last campaign, Lille had only scored two in four games this time around before cuffing northern neighbours Lens 4-1 on Saturday with Pierre-Alain Frau and Ivorian international attacker Gervinho both scoring twice.

Montpellier conceded for the first time in Ligue 1 this season and dropped to fourth after a 2-1 home loss to Nancy. Alarmed Bordeaux coach Jean Tigana said the club had been playing like relegation candidates since January after a 2-1 loss at unbeaten Nice left the 2009 champions languishing on four points and in the bottom three.

Brazilian star Nenê netted twice for Paris Saint-Germain in a 4-0 home win over Arles-Avignon. French international striker Guillaume Hoarau was also on the scoresheet. Prior to the international break PSG had lost three games in a week in all competitions, conceding nine goals in the process.

Lorient defender Grégory Bourillon described the 0-0 at promoted Brest as an ugly point and the match was apparently a total shocker.

Dunantblue
20-09-2010, 12:41
Wee quick review of this weekends games, results, movers and shakers across the channel.

FC Lorient 0 - 1 SM Caen
AS Monaco FC 0 - 0 Toulouse FC
AS Nancy Lorraine 0 - 2 Stade Brestois 29
AS Saint-Etienne 3 - 0 Montpellier Hérault SC
FC Sochaux-Montbéliard 4 - 0 OGC Nice
Valenciennes FC 1 - 1 RC Lens
AC Arles Avignon 0 - 3 Olympique de Marseille
LOSC Lille Métropole 1 - 0 AJ Auxerre
Paris Saint-Germain 0 - 0 Stade Rennais FC
Girondins de Bordeaux 2 - 0 Olympique Lyonnais

The traditional powers continue to struggle, with Lyon looking awfully out of sorts. Much to Olympique angst, Saint-Etienne are moving onwards and upwardse, making top spot with a 3-0 demolition of Montpellier at the weekend. Marseille and Bordeaux notched important wins that see them climb towards mid table. Meanwhile Nice suffered their first defeat in 12 matches as Sochaux gubbed them 4-0 win at the Stade Bonal.

Before Sunday, Saint-Etienne winger Dimitri Payet had never scored more than four goals in any one campaign, but after starring in Les Verts’ 3-0 summary dismissal of Montpellier on Saturday, Payet tops the Ligue 1 scorers charts with six goals, and Saint-Etienne top the table for the first time in 28 years.

Christophe Galtier’s side have been building in confidence and it showed on Saturday night as they destroyed a Montpellier defence, who before the match had conceded just two goals all season. Payet (21’) and Emmanuel Rivière (32’) made it 2-0 in the first half before Payet had the last word, his magnificent free kick in the 66th minute completing the rout in front of the delighted Saint-Etienne fans.

Les Girondins made light of the return to the Stade Chaban-Delmas of former star playmaker Yoann Gourcuff, applying themselves to the task at hand and notching a crucial 2-0 win over visiting Lyon on Sunday night that takes them out of the relegation zone to 13th place.

While Lyon, buoyed by their Champions League win over Schalke, had the early running, Jean Tigana’s men proved tenacious as they survived a gilt-edged chance for Lyon’s Lisandro Lopez to storm home with a fine header from Alou Diarra (60’) and a magnificent solo run and goal from Jussiê (90’+2).

Champions Marseille returned to a semblance of their best form after their midweek Champions League diappointment, extending their unbeaten run in the league to four matches with a rousing 3-0 win against bottom side Arles-Avignon. The bottom club run the risk of not winning a single game this season. Despite a barrel load of pre season business they look hopelessly out of their depth.

It was hardly a good time for promoted Arles, whose coach Michel Estevan was sacked midweek with his side rooted to the bottom of the table on zero points. But OM didn’t spare their local rivals, Benoît Cheyrou (32’) and André Ayew (37’, 54’) – who spent last season on loan at Arles – striking to lift the reigning champions into the top half of the table (8th).

Sochaux coach Francis Gillot was over the moon after his side’s 4-0 romp over tough to beat Nice. Ideye Brown, Ryad Boudebouz, Marvin Martin and Modibo Maïga all hit the target in a superb attacking display that put an end to Nice’s 11-match unbeaten run.

Lille adopted an uncharacteristically defensive approach for the visit of Auxerre, but the tactics paid off as the LOSC, midweek losers in the Europa League, patiently weathered Auxerre’s counter-attacks and pounced for the winner in the dying minutes. Moussa Sow’s goal sees Auxerre, beaten by AC Milan in the Champions League on Wednesday, slip to 19th place, still without a win this season and looking in some trouble.

Toulouse early season burst of form seems to be faltering now. They conceded top spot over the weekend with a dull 0-0 stalemate away to Monaco, whose ’keeper Stéphane Ruffier was unbeatable despite TFC’s taking the upper hand in the second half. Monaco now sit in tenth place, one spot behind Paris who, following on from their midweek Europa League success in Sevilla, ground out a 0-0 draw at home to Rennes, who remain undefeated in third place.

Like Saint-Etienne, Caen and Brest have been making progress while the bigger sides falter, and Saturday night continued this theme as Caen sensation Youssef El-Arabi struck to steal the three points in Lorient and fire his side into fourth place. Brest made the most of an uninspired Nancy performance to claim a 2-0 win thanks to goals from Tomas Micola and Larsen Touré.

Meanwhile Abdoulrazak Bouari rescued a point for Lens, his 90th-minute strike cancelling out Mamadou Samassa’s 55th-minute effort for a 1-1 draw.

silversleeves
20-09-2010, 13:39
Really enjoy these updates Dunant. Keep them coming.

Started taking a closer interest in French footy as I want to take the wee man to a game, probably next year sometime.
Bordeaux will be the team we'll go to see.

Who would their main rivals be?

Any other decent teams/stadia/atmosphere in the South West? What about Toulouse?

Kiery
20-09-2010, 13:58
GReat update mate.

Did Makelele play at CB yesterday for PSG? does he do that often if so?

HARTHILL_GER
20-09-2010, 14:01
What is going on with OL???

Lisandro struggling to get to full fitness also it would seem!!

Dunantblue
20-09-2010, 19:51
Really enjoy these updates Dunant. Keep them coming.

Started taking a closer interest in French footy as I want to take the wee man to a game, probably next year sometime.
Bordeaux will be the team we'll go to see.

Who would their main rivals be?

Any other decent teams/stadia/atmosphere in the South West? What about Toulouse?

The main rivals are Lyon mate.

If you get a chance go and see them play Toulouse mate. Good team, closest geographically and a good tussle.

In terms of travelling support it would have to be Marseille at Bordeaux.

Try out going to Toulouse as well. Lovely place, good ground and club doing well this season.

Dunantblue
20-09-2010, 19:54
GReat update mate.

Did Makelele play at CB yesterday for PSG? does he do that often if so?

I think he has played as sweeper mate, not sure he did yesterday though. Think he played in his traditional role.

Dunantblue
20-09-2010, 19:56
What is going on with OL???

Lisandro struggling to get to full fitness also it would seem!!

The wheels have come off mate. Nothing working. New seasons not making a difference. They look tired and out of ideas. Puel's days surely numbered. Dont rule out a reunion involving a certain former Rangers manager.

Dunantblue
21-09-2010, 10:18
Lisandro definitely out for a month or so.

HARTHILL_GER
21-09-2010, 10:27
Lisandro definitely out for a month or so.

Yep thought as much. Rushed back imo.

Kiery
21-09-2010, 13:18
I think he has played as sweeper mate, not sure he did yesterday though. Think he played in his traditional role.

Cheers mate.

I didn't see any of the game, it was just that I had seen on a site recapping the game that he was lined up at CB.

I think they really miss Sessengon when he isn't playing.

Dunantblue
23-09-2010, 16:45
French league cup last couple of nights.

Only major surprise was Toulouse going down to Boulogne after extra time. Wheels coming off a bit for Topulouse after a good start.

Other most noteable result was a cracking win for Guingamp over Rennes in the Breton derby.

AS Monaco FC / RC Lens : 1 - 0

2003 League Cup winners Monaco got the better of Lens in the first of four all-Ligue 1 ties on the night. The only goal at the Stade Louis II came from the penalty spot inside the final ten minutes, with Romanian international Daniel Niculae scoring against the Sang et Or for the second time this season after his strike in the league encounter at the Stade Félix-Bollaert last month.

AS Saint-Etienne / OGC Nice : 2 - 0

Surprise Ligue 1 pacesetters Saint-Etienne continued their fine recent run of form by overcoming Nice 2-0. Christophe Landrin and Gonzalo Bergessio both netted in the first-half as Les Verts warmed up for Saturday night's league derby at Lyon in style.

AC Arles Avignon / SM Caen : 0 - 1

Kandia Traoré struck inside the final fifteen minutes to earn Caen a place in the last sixteen at the expense of Arles-Avignon, who have now lost seven matches in a row in all competitions at the beginning of the season.

Boulogne Côte d'Opale / Toulouse FC : 2-1

Boulogne are still unbeaten seven games into the Ligue 2 campaign, and they continued that run by sending top-flight high-flyers Toulouse packing from the League Cup at the Stade de la Libération. Moussa Sissoko appeared to have rescued the TFC with a 77th-minute equaliser to cancel out Juan Gonzalo Lorca's opener. However, Fatih Atik scored from the penalty spot in extra-time to take the northern outfit, who spent last season in the top-flight, through to the last sixteen.

FC Sochaux-Montbéliard / SC Bastia : 0 - 2

here was a sensational result at the Stade Bonal, as Sochaux, who have been in fine form in the league recently, were beaten by third-tier visitors Bastia. The Corsican side had already won away at Angers and Amiens in this year's competition, and booked a place in the last sixteen courtesy of a goal in each half, the first from David Suarez, the second from Matthieu Sans.

EA Guingamp / Stade Rennais FC : 3 - 1

Guingamp repeated their sensational victory in the 2009 French Cup final by once again beating their more illustrious Breton rivals Rennes, this time in the League Cup. The National club had to come from behind to do it, too, after Jires Kembo-Ekoko put Frédéric Antonetti's men in front. Anthony Knockaert equalised midway through the first-half, and then Mouhamed Soly and Moustapha Diallo both netted after the break to complete the turnaround and hand En Avant another famous cup victory.

AS Nancy Lorraine / Girondins de Bordeaux : 1 - 2

Last season's runners-up Bordeaux came out on top on the synthetic pitch at the Stade Marcel-Picot, with David Bellion making the most of a rare start for Les Girondins by opening the scoring. Samba Diakité levelled for the hosts only for Anthony Modeste to score the winner twenty minutes from time.

Dunantblue
27-09-2010, 10:29
St Etienne consolidated their grip on top spot wit a 0-1 win away a local rivals Lyon last night.

Massive result for Les Verts and one that should leave no one in any doubt that this could be the year wen they revive memories of the great team of the 70s.

Terrible result for Lyon. The wheels are well and truly off. Third bottom and cast adrift from any hop of challenging this season. Puel cannot last long now.

HARTHILL_GER
27-09-2010, 10:35
Puel has to go!!

What a total farce!!

Virgil Hilts
09-11-2010, 13:02
Huge win for PSG over the Marseille scum on Sunday in the classico

Another great performance from Nene who cannot be far away from a Brazil call up if he maintains this form. He was involved in both goals, with a sublime chip from himsetting up Hoarau for the 2nd ... well worth a watch
http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/psg-marseille-7476123/

Virgil Hilts
04-12-2010, 02:31
This thread is dying on its feet!!!

Marseille scum definitely in the driving seat. Game in hand in front, plus a point. PSG huffing and puffing, showing a far stronger challenge than past years. Lyon are back in the game after a dreadful start, they are putting some wins together at last. Lille to me have looked the best of the bunch in terms of all round football, but seem a tad brittle to go the distance.

PSGs 4-2 humping of Sevillia can surely not go without a raised eyebrow on here, especially to those who saw it.

Virgil Hilts
12-12-2010, 03:42
Lille showed their championship mettle with a last minute goal at Brest to stay top.

PSG seem to have shaken their brittleness with an emphatic 2-1 win away to Valencienes. Nene scores again with two instances of brilliance. One reason I don’t want to see this club before the later stages of the Europa League

The Marseille scum, got away with a draw at Auxerre. They again showed their Celtic-esque side, by questioning every decision and harassing the officials at every turn. Heize really is one obnoxious individual, and Gignac seems to be catching the scum disease more and more with each passing game

TonyStarks
12-12-2010, 03:56
Virgil: What's your beef with Marseille ?!? |:

As for today's game, if anything, they're the ones that got robbed on the Auxerre goal. The foul was outside the box, so shouldn't have been a penalty, and there were 2 defenders, so should not have been a red. Not to mention that the ref didn't even book the Auxerre defender for that scissor tackle on Brandao, who went off injured because of it.

Virgil Hilts
12-12-2010, 04:56
Virgil: What's your beef with Marseille ?!?

Champions League 1992–93 my friend, the bastards did us out of a final, and ill never forgive them for it....

As for today's game, if anything, they're the ones that got robbed on the Auxerre goal. The foul was outside the box, so shouldn't have been a penalty, and there were 2 defenders, so should not have been a red. Not to mention that the ref didn't even book the Auxerre defender for that scissor tackle on Brandao, who went off injured because of it.

I wont argue that Marseille were not well worth a point today, especially playing so long short handed, but of all the penalty claims (I made it 2-2 myself) Mandana's studs up challenge on the Auxerre centre late in the game, had the potential to be a leg breaker.

TonyStarks
12-12-2010, 06:28
Champions League 1992–93 my friend, the bastards did us out of a final, and ill never forgive them for it....

Ah fair enough :D

Virgil Hilts
12-12-2010, 18:41
Lyon forcing themselves back into contention with a commanding 2-0 win over Toulouse (who look a pale shadow of the team which lead the way early on)

Lisandro, Gomes, Bastos firing on all cylinders now and they are certainly the form team in France right now

onlyrangers
19-01-2011, 21:31
Haven't had any posts on this for ages...

It's shaping up to be another typically tight finish to the season. Lille won their game in hand tonight to go 4 points clear at the top, but there are 3 clubs in joint 2nd (PSG, Rennes and Lyon) and then only 7 points separating 2nd from 10th in the table.

At the bottom it's no surprise that Arles already look dead and buried, but with only 8 points separating 10th and 2nd bottom it's very early to say who else will be joining them.

League Cup semi-finals this week: Montpellier beat PSG 1-0 last night after extra time and as I type Marseille are 2-0 up away at Auxerre and looking good for the final. Gignac just scored an absolute peach, look out for it on youtube...

PS just time for a mention for my local team Evian who are currently sitting top of Ligue 2 in their first ever campaign at that level, having knocked Marseille out the French Cup last week...

OnlyOneAmoruso
29-01-2011, 13:29
Stephane Sessegnon looks like he'll be signing for Sunderland for £6.8m. Bit of a steal.

1690owl
29-01-2011, 13:56
Stephane Sessegnon looks like he'll be signing for Sunderland for £6.8m. Bit of a steal.

great signing for sunderland along with sulley muntari and jordan henderson thats no a bad midfield

Virgil Hilts
19-02-2011, 21:00
Great first half in the Lorient/Bordeaux game. (for those with access to the game) Four goals and a superb display of the counter attack from Lorient

I wonder how much the lad Kevin Gameiro would cost? He is absolutely brilliant at running onto the long pass, the perfect striker to play the counter

Virgil Hilts
22-02-2011, 02:00
Race back on after Lille drop three points to a late goal at Montpellier. All the chasing clubs had wins to close the gap.

LOSC Lille Métropole 24 45
Stade Rennais FC 24 43
Olympique de Marseille 24 42
Olympique Lyonnais 24 41
Paris Saint-Germain 24 41

Lyon, Marseille, and PSG enjoyed convincing wins against Nancy, St Ettiene, and Nice respectively, whilst Rennes ground out a late winner in Toulouse

The Lorient 5-1 win over Bordeaux mentioned in the post above, probably the game of the week

®f©Roy®f©
22-02-2011, 02:07
Great first half in the Lorient/Bordeaux game. (for those with access to the game) Four goals and a superb display of the counter attack from Lorient

I wonder how much the lad Kevin Gameiro would cost? He is absolutely brilliant at running onto the long pass, the perfect striker to play the counter

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11815_6648674,00.html

Seems a player, with a goal return just shy of one in two. £10 mill according to that report, with Valencia refusing to stump up in early January.

Virgil Hilts
22-02-2011, 02:16
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11815_6648674,00.html

Seems a player, with a goal return just shy of one in two. £10 mill according to that report, with Valencia refusing to stump up in early January.

He is the prefect forward for playing the counter imho. Same build as Naismith, incredibly fast and direct, powerful and accurate in his finish

In that game against Bordeaux, he was caught offside twice early on, before he started to time run after run to perfection and ended up with a hattrick.

mcoletta333
23-02-2011, 00:54
What a goal by Jimmy Briand vs Nancy

http://videa.hu/videok/sport/meczetv-G59Mhcr0rmfJs07y

®f©Roy®f©
23-02-2011, 02:04
What a goal by Jimmy Briand vs Nancy

http://videa.hu/videok/sport/meczetv-8hSVQU53pBPuniLN

I get Hull/Wigan highlights from this:confused:

Here it is for anyone who wants to see it anyway. Cracker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzP6GIpQGAs&feature=related

mcoletta333
23-02-2011, 03:15
I get Hull/Wigan highlights from this:confused:

Here it is for anyone who wants to see it anyway. Cracker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzP6GIpQGAs&feature=related

Thanks, I have edited the link.

BB72
23-02-2011, 04:39
A wee season preview for those interested in the French league scene. I've structured this around the teams, and in the order in the league I think they will finish come the end of the season.

As is almost always the case now that that the Lyon dynatsy seems to be at a permanent end, it is a brave man who lays out serious money on the result of Europe’s most open league. Even Albertz was King and Jaws II, didn't foresee Montpellier’s title bid or Auxerre’s reemergence as a Champions League team. .

Didnt copy paste your whole post but you seem fairly clued up on the Ligue and reference a couple of posters on here that would suggest likewise they are.

Do you stay in France? , I ask as I knew a media company who were looking for ex pats to broadcast for an English speaking radio station.
Don't get too excited the pay was based on the listening figures about 100 euros a game plus expenses :D, just curious like , I try catch Montpellier when over.

onlyrangers
23-02-2011, 08:52
Lille's next two league games, at home v Lyon and away v Marseille, will go a long way to determining if they can last the pace at the top. First defeat in 24 games at the weekend so they are under a wee bit of pressure.

Lyon gave as good as they got last night v Real Madrid, they will fancy their chances in the away leg.

Virgil Hilts
19-03-2011, 22:52
Lille must be starting to believe

Another solid come from behind win today away to Brest, whilst Lyon slip up at home giving up a late equalizer against 10 men Rennes.

Tomorrow sees PSG in Marseille, and even a home win leaves Lille with a four point lead and ten games to play

Virgil Hilts
14-05-2011, 17:10
Lille hanging in there with three games left

Today they take on PSG in the Cup Final though. Arguably the best two attacking sides this year, so it promises to be a good game (TV5 in Canada - 2:40)

Nominations for POTY announced this week: Kevin Gameiro (Lorient), Eden Hazard (Lille), Nene (Paris Saint-Germain) and Moussa Sow (Lille)

Virgil Hilts
18-05-2011, 20:38
Lille all but confirmed as champions after a 1-0 win against Sochaux leaves them 6pts clear (+8 goals) with two games left.

Its been a great year for Rudi Garcia's men, keeping that squad together at the end of last season has really paid dividends. Nice to see a less fashionable club take the spoils

PSG also lost in Bordeaux today, handing the initiative back to Lyon in the race for the 3rd CL spot

ankaragucu
18-05-2011, 20:41
havent really followed french league this season. but from what ive seen been really impressed with Moussa Sissokho, Blaise Matuidi and Eden Hazard

Virgil Hilts
18-05-2011, 20:55
havent really followed french league this season. but from what ive seen been really impressed with Moussa Sissokho, Blaise Matuidi and Eden Hazard

Eden Hazard has had a great year and would be most peoples favourite for POTY. However I fancy Kevin Gameiro might given him a run given he's joint top scorer playing with an unfashionable club in Lorient

Earl of Leven
18-05-2011, 20:56
Lille look good for the double then...and on a budget smaller than ours.

Virgil Hilts
18-05-2011, 21:01
Lille look good for the double then...and on a budget smaller than ours.

Yes. Keeping last years squad together and not selling their better players has paid off for them bigtime. CL money should help them not only keep them all but possibly build on this year's success

Earl of Leven
18-05-2011, 21:02
New stadium opening in 2013 as well I think.

The current one isn't even a football stadium....

Virgil Hilts
18-05-2011, 21:08
New stadium opening in 2013 as well I think.

The current one isn't even a football stadium....

I think its scheduled to be finished by the end of this year, so the 2012/13 season.

I believe they stated their goal when undertaking the rebuild was to challenge Lyon in 2012.... Well theyre a year ahead on that front

Virgil Hilts
22-05-2011, 01:08
Lille Champions

A 2-2 draw with PSG coupled with Marseilles being held at home by Valenciennes give the men from the north the title

At the other end of the table, unbelieveably the tenth place team are still technically candidates for relegation, however it looks between Valenciennes , Caen, Nancy Lorraine and Monaco to go down with Arles and Lens

Virgil Hilts
23-05-2011, 02:30
Eden Hazard Player of the Year
Mamadou Sakho Young Player of the Year