PDA

View Full Version : The Unspoken Secret at Murray Park?

Number_Eight
08-07-2010, 19:14
As the football silly season gets underway and rumours abound about various comings and goings on the transfer market, the Rangers support is almost afraid to log on to its favourite website for fear of discovering that another first team player is about to move on.

Boyd has gone, Novo has gone, Smith has gone, Beasley has gone and there`s talk that Kevin Thomson could join them. The club is now so impoverished that any half-decent offer will be looked at, and not just for the fee that comes in; the saving on wages is also an important factor.

The club has announced that Kirk Broadfoot is staying and that a new deal has been agreed with Jordan McMillan and this news will generate about as much excitement and anticipation in the Rangers support as the pope`s impending visit to Britain`s shores.

It`s early days of course and we can only guess at what the first team squad will consist of in the season ahead, but my feeling is that the ship is drifting aimlessly and will continue to do so until the club ownership situation is resolved - and even then there could still be problems to address.

Walter Smith`s stock has never been higher, and this is probably being exploited by club and bank. While he remains in charge, any dissent will have a lid on it, and if the league is lost, Walter will take the flak and move on and let Ally McCoist take over.

Had our former goalgetter taken over this year, it would likely have been his first and last year in the managerial hotseat. Failure would have seen him dismissed as a dud, but if he is brought in when we`re already down, the transition may actually be easier although still with no guarantee of success.

It`s quite possible that the unspoken secret at Murray Park is that there is no real expectation that Rangers will win the league this season, and that the league campaign will be more about marking time until the off-field situation is resolved than actually being genuinely competitive.

No-one dare admit such a possibility, especially in public, but Celtic won`t be expected to blow their financial advantage again this season. It desperately needs to win the league and will spend accordingly. We won`t even attempt to keep pace with Celtic`s level of investment, and the hope must be that Neil Lennon will be the next Tony Mowbray, and to be honest, I don`t think many believe that he will be.

Phil Leotardo
08-07-2010, 19:18
It would have been quicker to write "I concede the title".

No surrender.

blu14evr
08-07-2010, 19:21
Whatever happens on the field this season the various off-field ongoings and the contract situations of the playing staff that remain suggest that next season is abosolutely NOT the time for a complete novice - in terms of both a coach and a business manager - to take over as team manager

larrydavidloyal
No matter what fears anyone has about the finances and what our squad will look like, Neil Lennon's Celtic do not intimidate me nor should they intimidate anyone. They too are downsizing, they just spin it slightly better and have a more gullible support.

agc1111
agreed.

and people wonder at taking a step down to midlesborough. at least the have ambitions to win their league.

who would blame kt if he followed suit.

agc1111
08-07-2010, 19:23
No matter what fears anyone has about the finances and what our squad will look like, Neil Lennon's Celtic do not intimidate me nor should they intimidate anyone. They too are downsizing, they just spin it slightly better and have a more gullible support.

they are downsizing to alot better players than kirk broadfoot and jordan mcmillan

Phil Leotardo
they are downsizing to alot better players than kirk broadfoot and jordan mcmillan

Charlie Mulgrew? Debatable.

AppleBear1976
while i am concerned.. i still believe we will fight for this title.. Walter doesnt do 'second best'.. if we lose it, it will be because of on field reasons, ie lack of squad investment and injuries.. not because of any managerial failings..

WATP

No Surrender

BlueKidG
08-07-2010, 19:24
dont believe it for one minute.

If thats how smith felt - he would have walked.

uber1873
08-07-2010, 19:24
I am feeling sick today after what has been happening. Concalves publicy stating he wants to sign and who do we get Jordan McMillan:mad:. SDOW legend but sorry to old for one more season.KT possibly going to a team who cant get a shirt sponsor. And I have already paid for my season ticket.

benny_blanco
08-07-2010, 19:27
I like Concalves but we are well off at the moment in defence, our priorities lie elsewhere, added to this concalves will be working his ticket alerting other clubs to his availabilty through the media.

I am feeling sick today after what has been happening. Concalves publicy stating he wants to sign and who do we get Jordan McMillan:mad:. SDOW legend but sorry to old for one more season.KT possibly going to a team who cant get a shirt sponsor. And I have already paid for my season ticket.

iaatpies
08-07-2010, 19:27
The biggest worry must surely be that Smith has to admit in public that he's being priced out of transfer deals? That screams out one of 2 things:

That Smith was promised better resources than he has actually been given.
or
That Smith was happy to accept the resources offered with no real awareness of what that money would secure in todays market.

And neither option is particularly easy to consider.

berkshiretrueblue
08-07-2010, 19:28
Actually a decent post but the real issue is the cancer which is Murray. As with the disease the only real solution, (and even then there is no guarantee), is to remove the cancerous cells and if you do so quickly then you have a better chance of success.

The longer it is left the worse it gets.

Unfortunately we have so far failed to remove our cancer and it does appear to be destroying teh club that we support and that he only ever saw as a money making machine and a way of massaging his own ego!

Until he is gone from our club we will continue to deteriorate and the longer we leave it the less likely it will be that we will ever be the club we once were.

strider
08-07-2010, 19:28

Charlie Mulgrew and the "human weapon"??

Not sure I'd class either as a lot better than Broadfoot - in fact, I'd choose Kirk over Mulgrew definitely (can't judge the Korean on the limited exposure so far).

If Ledley signs, as seems almost certain, they've made a decent signing there, but is he better than Davis? Not from what I've seen of him.

They still haven't sorted the centre half position, or got that midfielder that will provide the correct balance defensively. Their striking options aren't exactly great either.

They've got loads to sort out - downsizing in any way will cause them problems. I'm not overly confident due to the instability we have at the club, but I'm certainly not running scared of what they're doing so far either.

iaatpies
08-07-2010, 19:32
Actually a decent post but the real issue is the cancer which is Murray. As with the disease the only real solution, (and even then there is no guarantee), is to remove the cancerous cells and if you do so quickly then you have a better chance of success.

The longer it is left the worse it gets.

Unfortunately we have so far failed to remove our cancer and it does appear to be destroying teh club that we support and that he only ever saw as a money making machine and a way of massaging his own ego!

Until he is gone from our club we will continue to deteriorate and the longer we leave it the less likely it will be that we will ever be the club we once were.

Sorry but Murray is an irrelevence right now. 10 years ago when we still had assets and revenue streams that he hadn't exploited for his own gain? Murray would be an issue. As a lame duck majority shareholder who has been left with shares he cant sell? Murray is of absolutely no relevence these days.

The problems are of Murray's creation but the mistakes were made years ago. We can focus on Murray, lay all the blame in the world at his plush Charlotte Square door and it'll do nothing to improve the fortunes of our club.

Theres a danger that Murray will continue to hurt us by distracting the support from the difficult choices that need to be made. We're in the position we are and we need to deal with it. Murray only makes it easier to avoid reality by focusing on the big bad bogey man. He's already shafted our club and theres very little room for further shafting.

berkshiretrueblue
08-07-2010, 19:38
Sorry but Murray is an irrelevence right now. 10 years ago when we still had assets and revenue streams that he hadn't exploited for his own gain? Murray would be an issue. As a lame duck majority shareholder who has been left with shares he cant sell? Murray is of absolutely no relevence these days.

The problems are of Murray's creation but the mistakes were made years ago. We can focus on Murray, lay all the blame in the world at his plush Charlotte Square door and it'll do nothing to improve the fortunes of our club.

Theres a danger that Murray will continue to hurt us by distracting the support from the difficult choices that need to be made. We're in the position we are and we need to deal with it. Murray only makes it easier to avoid reality by focusing on the big bad bogey man. He's already shafted our club and theres very little room for further shafting.

I hear what you are saying but I fear that despite comments made by Johnston, contradicted by Smith's comments today, that the Bank will continue to bring pressure on us to reduce our debt and in the process sell assets that will be replaced by inferior players on lower wages consequently making us a less competitive team.

If we did not have the albatros of the MIH debt round our neck then I suspect that the Bank would be taking a significantly different view.

Admittedly this isn't helped by our obvious inability to scout players at all levels with frustration levels among the support growing with every passing day.

iaatpies
08-07-2010, 19:40
I hear what you are saying but I fear that despite comments made by Johnston, contradicted by Smith's comments today, that the Bank will continue to bring pressure on us to reduce our debt and in the process sell assets that will be replaced by inferior players on lower wages consequently making us a less competitive team.

If we did not have the albatros of the MIH debt round our neck then I suspect that the Bank would be taking a significantly different view.

Admittedly this isn't helped by our obvious inability to scout players at all levels with frustration levels among the support growing with every passing day.

But we do have the additional problems of being part of a group thats in serious debt and that had to swap £150million debt for equity barely a year ago. The bank is behaving the way they are because of the circumstances we're in. We're in them and all the "what if"s in the world wont change that.

Murray is the focus of a lot of justifiable anger but getting angry with Murray now doesnt force him to sell to a non-existant buyer and it doesnt help our directors run Rangers on a sounder financial footing and with a degree of ambition.

ayr__loyal
08-07-2010, 19:44
Before the squad leaves for Australia I can see KT and Boogie having left

Worrying times

larrydavidloyal
08-07-2010, 19:47
Charlie Mulgrew and the "human weapon"??

Not sure I'd class either as a lot better than Broadfoot - in fact, I'd choose Kirk over Mulgrew definitely (can't judge the Korean on the limited exposure so far).

If Ledley signs, as seems almost certain, they've made a decent signing there, but is he better than Davis? Not from what I've seen of him.

They still haven't sorted the centre half position, or got that midfielder that will provide the correct balance defensively. Their striking options aren't exactly great either.

They've got loads to sort out - downsizing in any way will cause them problems. I'm not overly confident due to the instability we have at the club, but I'm certainly not running scared of what they're doing so far either.

Exactly.

They've also lost Keane. They appear to be actively inviting offers for McGeady and Boruc.

N'Guemo played a lot of football for them last year and he's gone.

And as well as all this, Neil Lennon has 12 odd games of managerial experience, has already publicly slated his players after their only defeat. He's not had to play any teams that had equal motivation in any of his league games in charge and he has a history of mental illness.

Weak squad + Walter Smith > Better squad (which I as yet would argue they certainly do not have) + Neil Lennon.

kennyg_kirkieloyal
08-07-2010, 19:47

Worrying times

If that happens it gonna be a bench full of young boys next season

bobans27
08-07-2010, 19:49
Its the 8th of July.

Absolutely no point in judging the squad till the transfer window closes.

The Big Cheese
08-07-2010, 19:49
Spot on Number Eight.

I said at the time that Smith agreed a new one year deal that he was doing so to protect McCoist from the disaster that awaits us next season.

berkshiretrueblue
08-07-2010, 19:50
But we do have the additional problems of being part of a group thats in serious debt and that had to swap £150million debt for equity barely a year ago. The bank is behaving the way they are because of the circumstances we're in. We're in them and all the "what if"s in the world wont change that.

Murray is the focus of a lot of justifiable anger but getting angry with Murray now doesnt force him to sell to a non-existant buyer and it doesnt help our directors run Rangers on a sounder financial footing and with a degree of ambition.

While I agree that there is little point in getting more angry with Murray is pointless, (and in my case I cant get much more angry since there is not a further stage after sticking pins in the voodoo dolls)>:), I do worry that the recent action by the Bank is just the start of what could potentially end in teh liquidation of the Murray Group which often follows if the initial strategy fails.

Unfortunately at the present time I am not sure that we have the young players who can come in and do a job should players like Bougherra, Thomson and, dare I say it, Davis, are eventually sold and in reality we dont have a management team who are reknowned for their skill in scouting inexpensive quality players outside the U.K.

At the end of the day the support will not accept an extended run of failure in the two horse race which is the SPL.

At present if we keep what we have we should still compete but if we lose our better players then we will quickly become uncompetitive.

Perhaps we will be fortunate and 2011 will see a change in our fortunes with a change of owner, a change f management and a totally new approach to the development of Rangers FC which, if we are honest, has not happened in teh past 10 years.

Russell_Nash
08-07-2010, 19:50

No surrender.

or for you to stick your head in the sand

agc1111
08-07-2010, 19:51
Charlie Mulgrew? Debatable.

maybe but hes the worst of the players they have been linked with or signed.

and theirs not much in it.

iaatpies
08-07-2010, 19:51
I doubt that the banks would liquidate a group in which they had a £150million equity stake Berkshire. That wee bit of manouvering should have given MIH a degree of safety for now.

Blue Sea Of Ibrox
08-07-2010, 19:55

No surrender.

maybe so but i understand what hes saying, the signs do not look good for us just now

wasnt so long ago walter was talking about how important thomson is and how a contract extention was going to be offered. now we are willing to sell.

the only reason i dont believe the club have wrote this season off is because i dont believe walter would have stayed under those circumstances

barneythebear
08-07-2010, 20:02
Edu and Webster are like two new signings in my opinion with the injuries they have suffered, hopefully Naismith and Fleck can step up to the plate and clearly we could do with a couple of new faces however the total rebuld of the tattiedome squad does not make them better, they have lost many loan players who were regulars last season and who is their goal scorer this year now the penalty expert has moved on ?
If Joe ledley was that good he wouldn't be at the Stad de Gadd so chin up and here's hoping for three in a row

larrydavidloyal
08-07-2010, 20:03
maybe but hes the worst of the players they have been linked with or signed.

and theirs not much in it.

Cha Du Ri has been struggling to get a game in the German Second Division for most of his career as a right back and couldn't score goals as a striker. He's replacing a German internationalist, who despite being unexceptional was consistent for them.

The others they have been linked with:

Gary Hooper - is he better than Robbie Keane? I don't know as I'd never heard of him until Celtic started chasing him. I'm fairly sure whoever's around out of Weir, Bougherra, Webster and Wilson will not be perturbed.

Joe Ledley - an alright player. That no EPL club was willing to offer him 25 grand a week doesn't exactly bode well for him. I'd be amazed if he's better than Davis.

Sol Campbell - despite what he or blind Arsenal supporters will tell you, he is still as finished as he was at Portsmouth. He will drain their coffers, likely suffer a few injuries and doesn't strike me as someone who will be liked by team mates. And if Sunderland want him, he'll go there.

Jimmy Bullard - Thomson or McCulloch will end his career with one sliding challenge. And he'll still be costing them 45 grand a week. Might be about as good as Davis at his peak, but he'll never see that again.

berkshiretrueblue
08-07-2010, 20:21
I doubt that the banks would liquidate a group in which they had a £150million equity stake Berkshire. That wee bit of manouvering should have given MIH a degree of safety for now.

This could be true but Bank of Scotland Corporate Recoveries as was have a history of writing off debt which the Lending Arm should never have written in the first place.

I have seen this first hand with a quoted Company where admittedly the loans outstanding was only £30m however it will depend on what the Bank reckon they might recover through asset sales and what they already have in respect of impairment charges against this particular debt.

One thing is for sure, unless the market conditions improve and despite what Murray might say to the contrary MIH will at best remain in the hands of Advances Control for the foreseeable future.

In the circumstances I would have thought that the last thing that they will want to have part ownership of is a high profile Scottish Football Club

michellerfc
08-07-2010, 20:21
i've already been saying this,

spend nothing, sell a couple like boogie and thomson bring in 7-8m, let players like mcculloch and velicka's contracts run till end of season, spend less wages than last year, take in the 10m CL money from this year. remember rangers nor them will more than likley not qualify next year for the CL.

then let Coisty start from a blank canvas building a team from virtually debt free.

Merk McGhee
08-07-2010, 20:30
i've already been saying this,

spend nothing, sell a couple like boogie and thomson bring in 7-8m, let players like mcculloch and velicka's contracts run till end of season, spend less wages than last year, take in the 10m CL money from this year. remember rangers nor them will more than likley not qualify next year for the CL.

then let Coisty start from a blank canvas building a team from virtually debt free.

And once we are completely debt free- with no players. How do you suggest we bring in replacements without going right back into debt ?

Phil Leotardo
08-07-2010, 20:31
or for you to stick your head in the sand

You at the wind-up again? ;)

Phil Leotardo
08-07-2010, 20:34
maybe so but i understand what hes saying, the signs do not look good for us just now

wasnt so long ago walter was talking about how important thomson is and how a contract extention was going to be offered. now we are willing to sell.

the only reason i dont believe the club have wrote this season off is because i dont believe walter would have stayed under those circumstances

I understand he's saying too but the implication that players and management have written off a season that hasn't started is a bridge too far.

The tacit acceptance of it traded off against the false promise of a new buyer who is nowhere near the horizon is even harder to swallow.

essie_rfc
08-07-2010, 20:38
why would smith have stayed if he knew there was no real chance of us competing?

michellerfc
08-07-2010, 20:39
And once we are completely debt free- with no players. How do you suggest we bring in replacements without going right back into debt ?

with no players... aye ok

the way a club should be run, season ticket/sponsors to pay for the wages of players and staff.

any extra funds ie sale of players, any (if) any CL or euro money invested in the squad

coplandrearl36
08-07-2010, 20:41

Well request a refund, Rangers are not a faze, you take the good with the bad but you never concede.

Things will improve I have no doubt that Rangers will be stronger in the long run but it will take us getting our house in order and that may take a couple of years.

two2tango
08-07-2010, 20:46

i totally disagree we should focus on getting murray out of the club for the least amount of money possible, he is holding out for imo the return of the 55m loan and his original 6m

his name should be blackened in history forever!!:mad:

BdTS
08-07-2010, 20:52
Some of the things posted on this board of late are the equivelant of some people saying...

'now that we have underinvested and the 2010/2011 league has been lost, isnt it great that my negative outlook was proven to be correct?'

If the window slams shut and I think we've done poor business, no-one on here will be louder than me.

If we lose the league title to that fenian bastard and give them a clean run at it, no-one will be louder than me.

But at the moment, some are actually stating as act that we won't spend, the bank is raping the ST and CL cash and we've already lost the league.

This type of post only encourages fellow fans to feel that some of our own fans want us to fail so they can let rip on the management team.

How about we see what they do before spewing some of this hyperbole on the forum?

Arveladzes Shuffle
08-07-2010, 20:56
dont believe it for one minute.

If thats how smith felt - he would have walked.

Agreed mate, the amount of threads that have started on here today going in to a panic, and saying the league this season is gone after a week of pre season is as depressing and stupid.

Atleast wait and see who our team is before the window shuts,and even then it would still be jumping the gun, it was the same on here this time last year and the league was all but won before the split.

The Big Cheese
08-07-2010, 20:57
Some of the things posted on this board of late are the equivelant of some people saying...

'now that we have underinvested and the 2010/2011 league has been lost, isnt it great that my negative outlook was proven to be correct?'

If the window slams shut and I think we've done poor business, no-one on here will be louder than me.

If we lose the league title to that fenian bastard and give them a clean run at it, no-one will be louder than me.

But at the moment, some are actually stating as act that we won't spend, the bank is raping the ST and CL cash and we've already lost the league.

This type of post only encourages fellow fans to feel that some of our own fans want us to fail so they can let rip on the management team.

How about we see what they do before spewing some of this hyperbole on the forum?

You go your way and I'll go mine.

Stirling Bear
08-07-2010, 21:28
I would like to know what people were really expecting this season?

I have seen all these threads and wondered what people have been doing for the last year, the management team and the squad last season have ultimately bought us another year before things go from bad to worse again. You and I thought it was bad last year with the reductions in squad well look at the situation now. Who will we bring in? Don't hold your breath for a big name signing as it won't happen unless some shining white knight rides over the horizon with millions to throw at us.

I think we, the fans, will have to play a greater role than ever this season because if a couple of results don't go our way and people start getting on the players backs it is going to have a detrimental effect on them and we don't have the luxury of players in reserve who can come in and do a better job.

I think in reality we are going to have to go with youth a lot more which has its disadvantages because of lack of experience ect but a promising young energetic player can be an exciting one too. If this is the case then we as fans have to give these young men our full vocal backing and spur them on as much as possible to take the pressure off them.

shamrockhandandcrown
08-07-2010, 23:23
Spot on once again number eight.

Der Berliner
08-07-2010, 23:29
Spot on once again number eight.

Doom-merchandry at its prime, I would rather say.

berkshiretrueblue
08-07-2010, 23:34
There is of course another scenario, conspiracy theory No XYZ.

If we get the debt down to single digits by selling some of our better players and replacing them with lesser players then in theory any monies received for the Sale of the Club goes primarily to reduce the MIH debt with the Bank.

In that respect a £25m offer, (just to pick a figure out of the air), might just be more acceptable and I still believe that the only person who will 'bail us out' will be Dave King.....whether we like it or not.

I hear rumours which admitted might just be that, which suggest that King's well reported tax case will have been concluded one way or the other in teh next 12 months.

s_mac
08-07-2010, 23:47
As the football silly season gets underway and rumours abound about various comings and goings on the transfer market, the Rangers support is almost afraid to log on to its favourite website for fear of discovering that another first team player is about to move on.

Boyd has gone, Novo has gone, Smith has gone, Beasley has gone and there`s talk that Kevin Thomson could join them. The club is now so impoverished that any half-decent offer will be looked at, and not just for the fee that comes in; the saving on wages is also an important factor.

The club has announced that Kirk Broadfoot is staying and that a new deal has been agreed with Jordan McMillan and this news will generate about as much excitement and anticipation in the Rangers support as the pope`s impending visit to Britain`s shores.

It`s early days of course and we can only guess at what the first team squad will consist of in the season ahead, but my feeling is that the ship is drifting aimlessly and will continue to do so until the club ownership situation is resolved - and even then there could still be problems to address.

Walter Smith`s stock has never been higher, and this is probably being exploited by club and bank. While he remains in charge, any dissent will have a lid on it, and if the league is lost, Walter will take the flak and move on and let Ally McCoist take over.

Had our former goalgetter taken over this year, it would likely have been his first and last year in the managerial hotseat. Failure would have seen him dismissed as a dud, but if he is brought in when we`re already down, the transition may actually be easier although still with no guarantee of success.

It`s quite possible that the unspoken secret at Murray Park is that there is no real expectation that Rangers will win the league this season, and that the league campaign will be more about marking time until the off-field situation is resolved than actually being genuinely competitive.

No-one dare admit such a possibility, especially in public, but Celtic won`t be expected to blow their financial advantage again this season. It desperately needs to win the league and will spend accordingly. We won`t even attempt to keep pace with Celtic`s level of investment, and the hope must be that Neil Lennon will be the next Tony Mowbray, and to be honest, I don`t think many believe that he will be.

great post.

add to it, the recent admission that the forthcoming CL campaign is purely about participation and the monies received for doing so, and it highlights the abject nakedness of our current ambition.

how many of us ever thought we'd see the day where Rangers would play matches in premier European competition, and dread winning them, for fear of having to pay win bonuses ?

because that's mindset of the current administration.

they want us there, but they don't want us winning while we are.

agc1111
08-07-2010, 23:54
the real question is should we take a year of serious risk to recover our financial situation.

sell mcgregor boughera and bring in just one or two players fairly cheep. forget about europe. play the kids if it comes to it.

we would still have a decent chance of the league. and regardless of that the debt would be seriously slashed.

paisleyprod
08-07-2010, 23:56
M u r r a y o u t n o w. L i a r a n d f r a u d

am proud 2 b blue
09-07-2010, 00:03

Worrying times

spoke to Kevin at the last horse racing night at Ibrox.

I said " are you gonnae be here next season"

He said " I hope so"

I believe him

Know Your Enemy
09-07-2010, 00:03
Waste of a thread and indeed my own time reading it, but I just felt the need to say......

No Surrender.

am proud 2 b blue
09-07-2010, 00:16
Waste of a thread and indeed my own time reading it, but I just felt the need to say......

No Surrender.

Well said;)

Backstreets
09-07-2010, 00:20

Sounds like someone has been listening to a certain sellick podcast! :D

smidbob
09-07-2010, 00:33
Cha Du Ri has been struggling to get a game in the German Second Division for most of his career as a right back and couldn't score goals as a striker. He's replacing a German internationalist, who despite being unexceptional was consistent for them.

Gary Hooper - is he better than Robbie Keane? I don't know as I'd never heard of him until Celtic started chasing him. I'm fairly sure whoever's around out of Weir, Bougherra, Webster and Wilson will not be perturbed.

Joe Ledley - an alright player. That no EPL club was willing to offer him 25 grand a week doesn't exactly bode well for him. I'd be amazed if he's better than Davis.

Sol Campbell - despite what he or blind Arsenal supporters will tell you, he is still as finished as he was at Portsmouth. He will drain their coffers, likely suffer a few injuries and doesn't strike me as someone who will be liked by team mates. And if Sunderland want him, he'll go there.

Jimmy Bullard - Thomson or McCulloch will end his career with one sliding challenge. And he'll still be costing them 45 grand a week. Might be about as good as Davis at his peak, but he'll never see that again.

I wholeheartedly agree with the spirit of this post. The OP seems bizzarely ready to capitulate in the midst of the off-season. The 'silly season' he quotes is in full swing when people are ready to chuck in the towel and get the daggers out this quick.

We may have shed some dead wood but I genuinely believe we're in a reasonable position with a little strengthening over the coming weeks and months. I say dead wood not out of disrespect but out of pragmatic financial and footballing rationalism. Nacho was a great fan's favourite who ran through brick walls for this club. But, to be honest, so would I and I am most definitely not an attribute to our playing squad. His star was fading professionally and I think it made sense to let him go. Beasley looked good in December but the lad didn't warrant a league medal, that says all I need to know about his contribution. I rate him as a player, although I think he has comprehensivley shown both with ourselves and Man City that British football is bad for his health. Sadly Stevie Smith never recovered from that blighty, despite looking like the other half of the wing back sensations that he and Hutton promised to be. I'm still undecided on Boyd - I buy Hateley's one goal up, one man down criticism but that record is an absolute totem. I guess we'll find out in time whether his exit was a blessing or a curse.

Sellick's Silver Seniors may try to give us a run but SDOW still holds the bowl trophy at his local green. Bring on the overpaid, past it 'shoopershtars annat' which they're squandering cash on. We welcome the chase. A few canny signings and we'll be in a good situation. Last season's core is still strong and Lennon looks to have all the tactical nous of that bloody German psychic octopus.

The notion that we are secretly pandering to some 'revanchiste' mentality within our training ground strikes me as ridiculous. We are not weaker than last year. They are not stronger than last year. We can yet strengthen, they can yet sign diddies! Why give up the title and get the recriminations in during the month of July?!?! Does the phrase 'Fifth Columnist' mean anything to you OP?

basiltherat
09-07-2010, 04:22
I'll wait and see what the relevant squads look like after the window closes before making any predictions. As things stand I'd take our squad over theirs any time even with the signing of Ledley.
I remain hopeful Walter is playing a canny game to beat down transfer fees we have to pay (3m for Goodwillie FFS) and also to lower players' expectations in terms of contract renewals.
Time will tell.

Yorkhill blue
09-07-2010, 04:41
Reminds me of the OP's posts last pre-season and the pre-season prior to that.

Mowbray was going to blow us away with his swash-buckling brand of football and his
signings of Fortune and N'Geumo and Fox and now the "rumoured" signings of some
players who are past their best and the thought of Ledley (who is a decent player) and
a manager with around 12 games experience, alcohol problems and a major personality
defect should fill us with dread.

The transfer window is barely opened, we don't know who will leave if anyone, we don't
know how much of a "percentage" of any sales will be given to Walter Smith or the size of
the budget available without sales and we don't know who could be recruited before
get this.. a ball is kicked in anger we should be running scared.

I'll remain unconvinced if it's okay with the doom merchants and I'll wait until the league
campaign gets under way and perhaps make my decision on who I think will win the league
around December as that's usually around the time when you can make a sound call.

I'm glad I renewed my season ticket and I'm looking forward to the coming
season and as others have noted I often wonder what happened to the
battle cry of "no surrender."

Still each to their own and if you don't have the enthusiasm, belief, hope or
if you've simply lost the bug then by all means don't bother following the
team.

craig1983
09-07-2010, 04:51

Mowbray was going to blow us away with his swash-buckling brand of football and his
players who are past their best and the thought of Ledley (who is a decent player) and
a manager with around 12 games experience, alcohol problems and a major personality

The transfer window is barely opened, we don't know who will leave if anyone, we don't
know how much of a "percentage" of any sales will be given to Walter Smith or the size of
the budget available without sales and we don't know who could be recruited before

I'll remain unconvinced if it's okay with the doom merchants and I'll wait until the league
campaign gets under way and perhaps make my decision on who I think will win the league
around December as that's usually around the time when you can make a sound call.

team.

Sadly there seems to be a few on this board that has thrown the towel in for this season anyway.

I will always keep believing.

munkoomccoist
09-07-2010, 05:00

Dramatically lopsided post that is an FF microcosm of the stubborn refusal to judge going's on over there objectively.

Offering backhand praise to Andreas Hinkel to downplay their signing of a player who looked pretty damn decent at the World Cup? Manipulating the actual interest in Ledley to suit your arguement? 'What blind Arsenal supporters will tell you' is also a bit ironic is it not, considering it's them that have been watching Campbell over the past 3 or 4 months? And yeah, Arsene Wenger must have been another 'blind Arsenal supporter' considering he took time out to praise Campbell individually.

Ledley and Campbell would be signings i'd be delighted with. Cha Du Ri i'd greet with an open mind. Bullard is a total abomination of a footballer and Hooper has never came close to impressing me.

Mr_Bear
09-07-2010, 05:34

team.

Amen to that Bro!

Surprised some of the defeatists haven't put a link up for the Samaritans at the end of thier posts....grow a set FFS!

iaatpies
09-07-2010, 07:09
i totally disagree we should focus on getting murray out of the club for the least amount of money possible, he is holding out for imo the return of the 55m loan and his original 6m

his name should be blackened in history forever!!:mad:

What £55million loan? There was no £55million loan.

He underwrote a rights issue and in return received shares. His return will be when he sells those shares.

He didnt lend money to Rangers.

the99thfloor
09-07-2010, 13:08
Spot on Number Eight.

I said at the time that Smith agreed a new one year deal that he was doing so to protect McCoist from the disaster that awaits us next season.

Agreed, I think Walter is taking a huge burden on his shoulders.

Number_Eight
09-07-2010, 17:43

Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply to the above post.

Maybe some of you will be interested in today`s Daily Record.

Here is what it says ...

We must put long-term future of club ahead of short-term glory, admits Rangers boss Walter Smith

"We have to look after the club's welfare at the present moment, maybe to the detriment of the team to a degree.

This sounds very much like a manager preparing the support for a tough time ahead. It`s about survival now, and the club`s future, and there`s even an open admission from the manager - no secret at all - that this could be to the detriment of the team.

For the gamblers in our midst, think twice about following your heart this season.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2010/07/09/we-must-put-long-term-future-of-club-ahead-of-short-term-glory-admits-rangers-boss-walter-smith-86908-22399802/

Phil Leotardo
09-07-2010, 17:52

Here is what it says ...

We must put long-term future of club ahead of short-term glory, admits Rangers boss Walter Smith

"We have to look after the club's welfare at the present moment, maybe to the detriment of the team to a degree.

This sounds very much like a manager preparing the support for a tough time ahead. It`s about survival now, and the club`s future, and there`s even an open admission from the manager - no secret at all - that this could be to the detriment of the team.

For the gamblers in our midst, think twice about following your heart this season.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2010/07/09/we-must-put-long-term-future-of-club-ahead-of-short-term-glory-admits-rangers-boss-walter-smith-86908-22399802/

There is a gap which needs bridged between acknowledging the reality of our financial situation and writing off the league before it begins.

Witney Devil
09-07-2010, 17:53
We all need to wait and see what happens on the pitch next season.

Smith is far smarter than many give him credit for and who's to say he is not playing mind games with Lemon.

If we were in direct competition for players that they are signing then, perhaps, there might be more cause for concern.

The Southern General
09-07-2010, 17:58
There is a gap which needs bridged between acknowledging the reality of our financial situation and writing off the league before it begins.

Exactly.

We are in a dire position - but the league is still winnable.
Even with Thompson gone- its still winnable.

We'll add some new faces - they might cost nothing - but we add them.
Our starting 11 will still be strong enough to win the league - but a lot will depend on how our youth and fringe players step up - along with how well the tims gel, injuries etc.

BlueKidG
09-07-2010, 18:01

excellent post.

King William
09-07-2010, 18:11
Murray is a B@stard pure and simple and will stand back, watch and not give a flying feck if we fail to beat that slimeball whanker Lemmon.

The thought of us not competing or falling away in the tile race early doors and watching that pryck being praised all over the mhedia turns my stomach.

Murray doesn't care less about The Rangers, he just wants out ASAP, but he has made that much of a mess of the club finincially that nobody wants to buy us.

We have been for sale for 3 years and nothing, zilch has happened.

Its not about being a doom and gloom merchant, its about being realistic and if we win the title this coming season, Smith should get a Knighthood and Lhiewell should be chased out of the Phiggery. The fact they are struggling against us is unbelievable given our present state.

WATP.

The Kai
09-07-2010, 19:13
Batten down the hatches, we are in the midst of a storm, which is going to get worse and cause more pain before we can come out the other side.

Still looking forward to going to a good few games this season, although more in hope than expection. :)

Note: I'm also expecting a natural re-adjustment of finances within the English game that will make our present predicament look like a mole-hill. >:)

karanja
09-07-2010, 20:09
In the scheme of things both them and us were poor sides last season but we were more together as a team and thats what won us the title.

So far I dont see anyone that they have bought who will make such a big difference to them.I do however believe that Lennon will fire them up and make them more combative.

The quotes from WS don't make good reading and shouldn't be underestimated.Imo this years title will be decided by who's left from last years squad because I just can't see us buying anyone(affording) who will be much better than what we have.

brooklynblue
09-07-2010, 20:52

This is no different to comments over the last year or so from WS. It's about managing expectations and reminding fans of the realities. And he will continue to do so.

It's nothing new.

What does this mean?

It`s quite possible that the unspoken secret at Murray Park is that there is no real expectation that Rangers will win the league this season...

What's the basis of this speculation because there's been no words or actions to suggest such?

Of course, we know it will be difficult to mirror recent successes. And WS knows more than anyone. But to suggest such defeatism pervades the club before the season starts is absurd.

ttbluenose
13-07-2010, 13:49
As the football silly season gets underway ........................

...................... but Celtic won`t be expected to blow their financial advantage again this season. It desperately needs to win the league and will spend accordingly. We won`t even attempt to keep pace with Celtic`s level of investment, and the hope must be that Neil Lennon will be the next Tony Mowbray, and to be honest, I don`t think many believe that he will be.

Spending money doesn't win oyu the League, No 8.

And remember that they are skint and aren't spending what the Rhebel and Scum and Liam are telling TGU.

I HATE the close season.

ttbluenose

No Money No Problems
13-07-2010, 13:56

No surrender.

Here here!!!

The last week or so has been a terrible time to be a Bear but the way some people are talking about Rangers you'd expect them to start supporting them.

Not talking about the original poster here, just in general.

Burnsymagic
13-07-2010, 14:14
The biggest worry must surely be that Smith has to admit in public that he's being priced out of transfer deals? That screams out one of 2 things:

or
That Smith was happy to accept the resources offered with no real awareness of what that money would secure in todays market.

Surely WS would walk away if this was the case? As someone said his stock has never been higher, but I do not think he would accept being rail roaded by the mhakny mhob. My problem with WS is that he is still an advocate of Minty and it can be a bit of a contadiction. WS may at times seem to be the peoples Champion, but he is also a pal of Minty and I cannot see the day that he comes out lamblasting him. Can you?

The_Gub
13-07-2010, 14:20

Here is what it says ...

It's a pity he didn't have that mindset when manager first time around.

Mr Super Bad was right yesterday. I have more flabbers to be gasted than I first thort. For sure.

sfaulds
13-07-2010, 14:23
if we continue to sell more first team players we could well struggle to get top 2 next year and i dont think im being ott. Dundee utd and Hibs were strong last year and could cause us big problems

Entonox
13-07-2010, 14:59

No Surrender.

Jim Bowie said that at the alamo.........:(:confused:

omegaman
13-07-2010, 15:27

or

1) If the bank hoodwinked Smith over available resources, I don't expect he'd suffer in silence.

2) Do you really think he is this inept?

I think the simple facts are that Smith was promised £5m for signings and wages plus a percentage of whatever else he brought in through sales.

This is unlikely to locate many world beaters (Brunt, Eagles, Conclaves and MacArthur sound about right in terms of the level we can expect for our resources) but ultimately it should see us able to replenish the outgoings albeit to a perceptibly lesser degree.

The fact is that this is significantly better than not being able to replenish the squad at all, which was the scenario we faced prior to Smith meeting with the bank.

Thems the brass tacks, boys.

What astounds me is the number of posters on here, many of them regulars, who seem taken aback by the current course of events.

I mean, it's not as if you haven't had the best part of the last year to prepare yourselves for it!

larrydavidloyal
13-07-2010, 15:41
Dramatically lopsided post that is an FF microcosm of the stubborn refusal to judge going's on over there objectively.

Offering backhand praise to Andreas Hinkel to downplay their signing of a player who looked pretty damn decent at the World Cup? Manipulating the actual interest in Ledley to suit your arguement? 'What blind Arsenal supporters will tell you' is also a bit ironic is it not, considering it's them that have been watching Campbell over the past 3 or 4 months? And yeah, Arsene Wenger must have been another 'blind Arsenal supporter' considering he took time out to praise Campbell individually.

Ledley and Campbell would be signings i'd be delighted with. Cha Du Ri i'd greet with an open mind. Bullard is a total abomination of a footballer and Hooper has never came close to impressing me.

Hinkel managed to impress when playing at a standard that Cha has never managed to get close to in Germany, that was my point. As unimpressive as Hinkel has been in Scotland he's hardly been as bad as every other defender they have played. I'm not saying Cha is going to be a disaster, I'm saying that this type of signing, particularly in a position that they probably wouldn't consider a priority except Hinkel is desperate to get out is not exactly strengthening.

I don't actually understand your Ledley point. I've seen him play a bit, he looks decent, but I'm surprised that no EPL team would make an offer that would blow Celtic out-the-water.

Campbell: Arsene Wenger and Arsenal supporters really haven't been blessed with centre halves to watch over the past... Well since Campbell was at his peak more than five seasons ago. I saw Campbell frequently confirm in my eyes that he is finished. Even at that he might slightly improve them, but the cost involved and the interest from Sunderland making a move there unlikely...

Bullard's told them to **** off.

So my conclusion, so far, remains the same. We are worse off, no denying it. But we were miles ahead of them. And they have so far or are rumoured to be be about to weaken (in my opinion) themselves by:

Selling Boruc
Replacing Hinkel with Cha
Replacing Naylor with Mulgrew
Losing a body in McManus at centrehalf and signing no-one thus far
Releasing Mizuno, Zheng and not signing N'Guemo
Looking to sell McGeady
Not getting Robbie Keane

All I can see that they have done to strengthen so far is sign Ledley.

I'm not giving up yet.

shamrockhandandcrown
13-07-2010, 16:02
I cant see anything wrong in what number eight says. It appears some will believe that everything is okay when in reality we are donald ducked! We all know the state we are in at the moment so you can imagine if we dont win the league this year. But i am sure some on here will still think everything is going to be fine!

Number_Eight
21-07-2010, 12:14

No surrender.

No Phil, it's the club that seems to be conceding the title, and with every day that passes the support seems to be waking up to this.

Phil Leotardo
21-07-2010, 12:23
No Phil, it's the club that seems to be conceding the title, and with every day that passes the support seems to be waking up to this.

I don't think the players and management have given up.

Burnsymagic
21-07-2010, 12:34
I don't think the players and management have given up.

But Phil, there is a breaking point-a limit to which anyone can go to. To hear Ally on SSN say we have lost 5 or 6 and we will TRY and get 1 or 2 in beggars belief. WS and him should be lamblasting MINTY and anyone else-but they won't.

90minbear
21-07-2010, 12:58
No employee in any industry would get away with calling the chairman an imbecile who has landed us in the brown stuff.

He may well feel the same as us now about Sir Moonbeams but you dont seriously expect him or Ally to publicly say this. If they did and both got sent packing where then would we be, Landed with someone like JJ or his like.

Phil Leotardo
21-08-2010, 15:09

Right enough.

android
21-08-2010, 15:16
Right enough.

You've been waiting a wee while for that post haven't you

As they say 'good things come to those that wait':D

karanja
21-08-2010, 15:25
In the scheme of things both them and us were poor sides last season but we were more together as a team and thats what won us the title.

So far I dont see anyone that they have bought who will make such a big difference to them.I do however believe that Lennon will fire them up and make them more combative.

The quotes from WS don't make good reading and shouldn't be underestimated.Imo this years title will be decided by who's left from last years squad because I just can't see us buying anyone(affording) who will be much better than what we have.

Wrong again:o I think we've upped our quality with the players we've signed but still hope we lose no one.

The only ones sellable would really make a difference if any of them left.

Dunn1872
21-08-2010, 15:32
This thread is exactly the sensationalist nonsense that makes the views of FF to be in the minority.

forlanssister
21-08-2010, 15:37
This thread is exactly the sensationalist nonsense that makes the views of FF to be in the minority.

Sad, but alas all too true.

KPL
21-08-2010, 15:40
A few people looking a bit silly now !!

Village Bluenose
21-08-2010, 15:46

Spot on for me but some think that it is somehow going to further their agenda against SDM, when it clearly wont, and isnt, as the majority of the support arent idiots and it is just cringeworthy for me.

sd683
21-08-2010, 15:55
Never seen this first time round, but honestly thats just embarrassing.........

hellsbells
21-08-2010, 16:14

You are absolutely spot on, I used to look at these threads now I find myself avoiding the doom and gloom merchants threads on here as much as possible.

OrigTommy
21-08-2010, 16:19
and the hope must be that Neil Lennon will be the next Tony Mowbray, and to be honest, I don`t think many believe that he will be.

I appreciate that this is a bumped thread, however to (at any stage) give Neil Lennon some sort of credibility and acknowledgement as being able to offer anything other than knuckleheadedness and hate is beyond me.

In the few weeks since your post it's quite clear that Lennon is a sitting duck mananger. A puppet whilst the board do the wheeling and dealing. A proper bona fide bigot to keep the hordes happy.

The man is clueless - his behaviour, his press conferences, his comments, his team selections and his signings (if they are anything to do with him) sum this up.

I've got a feeling he's going to make Tony Mowbray look like Jose Mourinho.

Number Eight, I'm just surprised you thought at some point he was going to be anything other than that. (Other than to help support your argument about it being a tough year ahead for Rangers)

KAB
21-08-2010, 16:24
Thank fk I miissed this thread.

dermaster
21-08-2010, 16:26

No surrender.No need to go further than post 2 in this thread.....thank god :roll:

Russell_Nash
21-08-2010, 16:28
Right enough.

wow great stuff phil, imagine going back and resurrecting this for your own Look at Me moment

magnus
21-08-2010, 16:28
I appreciate that this is a bumped thread, however to (at any stage) give Neil Lennon some sort of credibility and acknowledgement as being able to offer anything other than knuckleheadedness and hate is beyond me.

In the few weeks since your post it's quite clear that Lennon is a sitting duck mananger. A puppet whilst the board do the wheeling and dealing. A proper bona fide bigot to keep the hordes happy.

The man is clueless - his behaviour, his press conferences, his comments, his team selections and his signings (if they are anything to do with him) sum this up.

Number Eight, I'm just surprised you thought at some point he was going to be anything other than that. (Other than to help support your argument about it being a tough year ahead for Rangers)

You are bang on mate. The Lurgan bigot was bad enough as a player. Wait until we are playing them and its going pear shaped for Lennon Liewall and the Warmonger and all the nasty fenian bigotry will come pouring out.
A pretty sight it will not be.

Russell_Nash
21-08-2010, 16:31
when it goes wrong for benny Lemon and it will
it will be hilarious

the theme tune from mash springs to mind

baselbear
21-08-2010, 16:34

I am not so sure now.

I still think that if things go wrong , he will crack up but he seems to have recognised the problems and taken steps to sort them out.

He has got rid of Loovens and Thompson. Didn't keep Braafheid and N'Guemo. Let Mizuno go. Would have got rid of Hinkel.

Supposedly the rest of the collection of Asian shirt sellers are going next.

Got in Majsterovic.

Bought a left back who may or may not any good but has a good chance of being better than the shite they have had there for years.

Looking for a new goalie.

When he has made a mistake say like Mulgrew , he has realised that quickly and dropped him.

So it looks like he can recognise where it is going wrong.
Whether he can fix it is a different issue.

Phil Leotardo
21-08-2010, 16:35
wow great stuff phil, imagine going back and resurrecting this for your own Look at Me moment

Take a look at the dates in the thread.

TheTinMan
21-08-2010, 16:44
Number Eight - might have been better to stick to complaining about the smartcards.

Never doubt Walter's commitment to the cauae.

suramericaranger
01-07-2011, 16:35
This thread sort of reminded me of the now frequent ones over the past few weeks filled with uber drama.

Number_Eight
01-07-2011, 16:49

That's quite a decent post, NE.

Walter certainly wasn't confident that we'd win it when Kenny Miller departed, but our small squad performed admirably against Celtic's larger and more expensive grouping and we came through with a very respectable points total in the end.

suramericaranger
01-07-2011, 16:53

Walter certainly wasn't confident that we'd win it when Kenny Miller departed, but our small squad performed admirably against Celtic's larger and more expensive grouping and we came through with a very respectable points total in the end.

Not a go at anyone in particular but just a look at how we have been worried as a support in summer over the past few seasons but it is fair to say that the worry has been a bit over the top.

Not that we should drop our expectations of course. I don't know how you could know that Smith was not confident of winning the league in January.

We should leave jumping the gun to celtc.

Number_Eight
01-07-2011, 17:10
Not a go at anyone in particular but just a look at how we have been worried as a support in summer over the past few seasons but it is fair to say that the worry has been a bit over the top.

Not that we should drop our expectations of course. I don't know how you could know that Smith was not confident of winning the league in January.

We should leave jumping the gun to celtc.

Smith's just another drama queen . . .

m.stv.tv/sport/football/scottish-premier/rangers/244787-smith-i-never-thought-rangers-would-be-in-contention/

Yorkhill blue
01-07-2011, 17:14
Is the sentence "I was wrong" alien to you Number_Eight?:p

Number_Eight
01-07-2011, 17:31

It seems like a reasonable assessment to me, and there was a question mark at the end of the header - it was not a statement of fact.

I'm just sorry that people are logging in to it thinking that there's something on it relevant to events just now.

I am sorry therefore to be giving it another bump.

Yorkhill blue
01-07-2011, 17:33

It seems like a reasonable assessment to me, and there was a question mark at the end of the header - it was not a statement of fact.

I'm just sorry that people are logging in to it thinking that there's something on it relevant to events just now.

I am sorry therefore to be giving it another bump.

That would be a no then.:D

TangledUpInBlue
01-07-2011, 17:40
It was interesting to read in the light of recent events. Nothing to be ashamed of in the writing of it at the time nor in bringing it back to people's attention now. One of the threads to stop and make me think amidst a rising hysteria. So thanks to you both - creator and resurrector.

Number_Eight
01-07-2011, 17:48
I got it as wrong as this man. To doubt is quite normal, especially with our circumstances last season. I could see that. Smith could see it and so could many others. The fact that there was a happy ending doesn't mean people were wrong to express doubt. They are merely expressing honest concern. Let them keep doing so - it will keep the club on its toes.

I never thought Rangers would be in contention

Rangers manager Walter Smith has revealed
that he harboured doubts as to whether his
side could challenge for the SPL title after
losing key players.

Ahead of a Glasgow derby that could go a long
way towards determining who wins the
championship this season, Smith said that the
departure of Kenny Miller in January, as well as injuries, left him thinking his squad may struggle to remain in contention.

"We had a spell in January where we lost our top striker and had injuries and I never thought we'd get to the stage with the split coming where we'd still have a chance to win the league,”

Smith admitted. "I thought there would be a huge element of doubt. “We've lost five games which is a lot by normal standards but we've done well and we're delighted to still have the opportunity."

The manager is now preparing his side for a crunch match at Ibrox against Celtic on Sunday and seeking a win in his last Glasgow derby.

He admitted that his side, who lead Celtic by a point in the SPL table but have played a game more, need to win to stay in control of their own destiny.

"A draw would keep them in the position where the championship is on their own hands,” he said. "By the same token, winning would keep it in our own hands for the rest of our games so we've got that situation to look at.”

Yorkhill blue
01-07-2011, 18:15
I got it as wrong as this man. To doubt is quite normal, especially with our circumstances last season. I could see that. Smith could see it and so could many others. The fact that there was a happy ending doesn't mean people were wrong to express doubt. They are merely expressing honest concern. Let them keep doing so - it will keep the club on its toes.

I never thought Rangers would be in contention

Rangers manager Walter Smith has revealed
that he harboured doubts as to whether his
side could challenge for the SPL title after
losing key players.

Ahead of a Glasgow derby that could go a long
way towards determining who wins the
championship this season, Smith said that the
departure of Kenny Miller in January, as well as injuries, left him thinking his squad may struggle to remain in contention.

"We had a spell in January where we lost our top striker and had injuries and I never thought we'd get to the stage with the split coming where we'd still have a chance to win the league,”

Smith admitted. "I thought there would be a huge element of doubt. “We've lost five games which is a lot by normal standards but we've done well and we're delighted to still have the opportunity."

The manager is now preparing his side for a crunch match at Ibrox against Celtic on Sunday and seeking a win in his last Glasgow derby.

He admitted that his side, who lead Celtic by a point in the SPL table but have played a game more, need to win to stay in control of their own destiny.

"A draw would keep them in the position where the championship is on their own hands,” he said. "By the same token, winning would keep it in our own hands for the rest of our games so we've got that situation to look at.”

Walter Smith is speaking about events in January after we lost Kenny Miller.

Your OP was pre season before we had signed Jelavic and others and still
had Kenny Miller on board and the previous three pre seasons had seen
you make similar posts and in fairness on one occasion you were right we
didn't win the league although strangely we had a massive budget at the
time and the bank had yet to squeeze us.

Still at least your now honest enough to finally admit you were wrong.:D

It's all in good fun Number_Eight, you don't have to take it so seriously.:D

number7
01-07-2011, 18:19
I just love bumps like these

Number_Eight
01-07-2011, 18:29
Walter Smith is speaking about events in January after we lost Kenny Miller.

Your OP was pre season before we had signed Jelavic and others and still
had Kenny Miller on board and the previous three pre seasons had seen
you make similar posts and in fairness on one occasion you were right we
didn't win the league although strangely we had a massive budget at the
time and the bank had yet to squeeze us.

Still at least your now honest enough to finally admit you were wrong.:D

It's all in good fun Number_Eight, you don't have to take it so seriously.:D
It's good that Smith was so honest about this, but I believe that there were real doubts in place before a ball was struck in anger last season.

With people making such a big deal about so-called drama queens, the above article shows that Walter Smith had as many concerns as they did, whether from day one or halfway through the campaign.

larrydavidloyal
01-07-2011, 18:39
Glad my assessment of Cha Du Ri and Ledley wasn't too bad! Always get the fear when old threads I've commented on are bumped! Roon ye Munkoo!

Dunn1872
01-07-2011, 18:56

You were insinuating that Smith and Rangers were only really out to balance the books and not challenging for the league was not on their minds which was rubbish.

Captain Jock
01-07-2011, 19:14
I just love bumps like these

I hope you're being a bit tongue in cheek with that comment.
It's bad enough on here just now with all the heavy duty negativity without bringing up last years "samaratins" posts!
:(

Laudrup1
01-07-2011, 19:40
Same shit, different year then...

Wee Dick's Hairnet
01-07-2011, 20:10
I hope you're being a bit tongue in cheek with that comment.
It's bad enough on here just now with all the heavy duty negativity without bringing up last years "samaratins" posts!
:(

Not really.

The guy who bumped it is just trying to prove a point to the negative drama queens. A positive from a negative type of thing.