PDA

View Full Version : Rangers United Brake Clubs' Association

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
06-04-2010, 23:28
I came across the following cutting from 1920 regarding the way the earlier Rangers fans organised themselves into the organisation named above. I think it's fair to say this was the predecessor of the Supporters' Association which was formed in 1946.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4156/brakeclubs.jpg

It mentions 30 different brake clubs which I assume were in the main from Glasgow and the immediate vicinity although Rangers were attracting a big support from Scotland and Ulster at this point. What I'm interested in, though, is finding out where these 30 Brake Clubs came from. I have seen 3 documented: Kinning Park, Summertown (possibly to do with Summertown Road in the Ibrox area?) and another one I found today which was called the Rangers Jubilee Brake Club.

There are two questions surrounding this group of Rangers fans. The first one is probably easier to answer when we ponder where they came from. I would say with certainty they were an East End of Glasgow Club given that they held meetings in a picture house on the Gallowgate, their secretary (or appropriate contemporary term) was a Mr D. McAllister who resided at 635 Gallowgate and they held social functions in the Camlachie Institute. Does that still exist?

The second question asks where they got their name from. An obvious answer is that it came from the age of Rangers themselves. Quite possibly the guys named this Club after Rangers' Silver Jubilee which would have been in 1897; they could have renamed an existing Club or formed in that year. Either that or it was something to do with Rangers' move to Ibrox. This is something I would love to know more about. I think for these guys to have organised themselves into an organisation 30 strong 9 decades and more ago shows the type of bond that existed between the Rangers support back then. I'd go as far as to call them the Gallant Pioneers of the Rangers support.

Any and all information on these Brake Clubs and others would be gratefully received.

Incidentally, the player being honoured at the function signed amateur terms with Arsenal when he moved to London.

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
06-04-2010, 23:51
Whoops. I meant to say the Jubilee Brake Club were advertising travel on a 'first class charabanc' to a Rangers game in Aberdeen for 25 pence (I think - couldn't make the type out). Anybody know how relative that was to average wages in 1920?

annanberr06
07-04-2010, 00:36
Oh for The Rangers to have such a dedicated soul as yourself in the heirarchy at Ibrox today. You gladden the heart of inquisitive bears everywhere. Just when you think that the modern day "customer" ethic is taking over,gentlemen like yourself and other great supporters on here ,step in and bring our traditions to the fore and keep the history of this great club alive. Sorry i have nothing to offer on the research front,but feel obliged to acknowledge the tremendous [and that is heartfelt] contribution to keeping our great story going. The work i have witnessed by some of the bears and bearettes on here has been astounding. Riveting stuff

pastmaster95 & 244
07-04-2010, 00:41
Edited the prefix to keep the thread alive.

cannonball express
07-04-2010, 00:54
Whoops. I meant to say the Jubilee Brake Club were advertising travel on a 'first class charabanc' to a Rangers game in Aberdeen for 25 pence (I think - couldn't make the type out). Anybody know how relative that was to average wages in 1920?

Farm Labourer - £1.70
Pottery Worker - £2.70
Coal Miner - £4.00
Footballer - £4.50

cannonball express
07-04-2010, 01:00
http://i42.tinypic.com/sq3x9g.jpg

cannonball express
07-04-2010, 01:16
Maryhill Brake Club had a banner apparently with a picture of Jimmy Gordon on it.

ICM
07-04-2010, 01:34
Best of luck with this fascinating, ongoing project ABB

Sad thing is that the majority don't care much abot things like this. It is important to plenty of us though.

That KP Brake Club bannerette is a cracker!

williamstown
07-04-2010, 01:48
Fascinating to read about these which were probably exclusive to Glasgow
at that time,I believe they died out when the railways and motor cars took over in the late 20s,as you say by then we had a strong support coming from Ulster and the rest of Scotland by then,ide guess that support at other grounds around the country where Rangers played like in Lanarkshire and Ayrshire were swelled by locals who normally couldnt get to see the famous Rangers and before rail travel Ibrox was full of Glasgow punters in the early days.

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
07-04-2010, 07:41
Maryhill Brake Club had a banner apparently with a picture of Jimmy Gordon on it.

They did indeed. That's 4 out of 30.

I reckon places like Bridgeton, Dalmarnock and Partick would have had Brake Clubs as well but I'd still like to see it in print.

Duszek
07-04-2010, 09:14
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Partick_Thistle/photos/partickbrakeclub-400.jpg

Here's another from round Maryhill way, albeit for the Jags...

Earl of Leven
07-04-2010, 09:22
One day we WILL have a museum and I hope ABB gets to fill his boots putting it together and organising the contents......

Halfwaythere
07-04-2010, 09:41
This photo dated 1890 shows fans travelling to Hampden in a Brake Club. The caption doesn't mention whether they are Rangers, Scotland or even QP supporters, however it does illustrate the mode of transport fans used in the city in the 19th Century.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii164/halfwaybear/old%20bus/C--DocumentsandSettings-Guest-MyDoc.jpg

Manticore
07-04-2010, 09:46
What publication is that from?

Halfwaythere
07-04-2010, 10:01

I can't remember, it was a book about Glasgow buses. I saved this photo about six months ago because of its football relevance

mfhstid
07-04-2010, 10:17

At 2008 prices, between £3.12 (using the retail price index) and £14.10 (if it had kept pace with average earnings). From http://www.measuringworth.com/.

pastmaster95 & 244
07-04-2010, 10:18
The text to go with the Maryhill Magyars pic above (from Scottish Football Museum website) :

Brake Clubs

The earliest supporters’ organisations were called ’Brake Clubs’. They first appeared in Scotland in the 1880s and organised travel to football matches. They derived their name from their mode of transport - a ’brake’ being a large horse-drawn vehicle. Approximately 20-30 people would ride on these to the matches, often identifying themselves and their team with the help of a colourful brake club ’banner’, which themselves were similar in style to trades union banners. The numbers who were able to ride on a brake largely defined the numbers who were a member of that ’supporters club’. Even today, each football club has many supporters clubs, their numbers set by how many can travel on a particular coach to a game.

By the turn of the century the first supporter’s clubs appeared, but many did not survive the outbreak of war in 1914. Typically they were respectable organisations, comprising professional middle-class supporters. They raised money for the clubs through raffles, lotteries, annual sports meetings and bazaars but had little or no influence over the running of the clubs.

Halfwaythere
07-04-2010, 10:22

here is another photo (although certainly not a Brake Club), just fans leaving Ibrox and boarding a bus to Bridgeton in the 1930s.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii164/halfwaybear/C--DocumentsandSettings-Guest-MyDoc.jpg

The Goal Machine
07-04-2010, 10:27
That's a terrific find, ABB, very interesting.

I've disagreed with your views of things, many times, but these sort of things are diamonds.

Respect!

That is why there must be a museum at Ibrox, with stuff like this, it would be brilliant and could make money for the club, I am sure.

Manticore
07-04-2010, 10:36
I can't remember, it was a book about Glasgow buses. I saved this photo about six months ago because of its football relevance

Thanks, it's interesting stuff.

I must have a rummage in my Dad's loft, there might be more stuff like this, my grandad was a Tram then Bus inspector with the old Corporation.

The Goal Machine
07-04-2010, 10:55
Just a thought would some of the guys that post on here, maybe the Rangers Trust, speak to some of the big hitters and get private money to build a museum maybe twin it with a restaurant and a club shop.

I think the business prospects from something like this must be good, I think it would be very attractive for both fans and visitors to Scotland.

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
07-04-2010, 15:57
A wee update.

There was a Linthouse Brake Club which left from Cressy Street.

Also, the Summertown one mentioned earlier was based in Govan and was ran by a B. McQuaide.

templbluenose
07-04-2010, 15:58

this must be the Jubilee Brake Club

http://i39.tinypic.com/behuzp.jpg

taken from WERTP'S site

http://imageevent.com/wertp/blackandwhitepics2?p=10&b=-1&m=-1&c=4&w=4&s=1&n=1&l=0&z=3

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
07-04-2010, 16:14
this must be the Jubilee Brake Club

http://i39.tinypic.com/behuzp.jpg

taken from WERTP'S site

http://imageevent.com/wertp/blackandwhitepics2?p=10&b=-1&m=-1&c=4&w=4&s=1&n=1&l=0&z=3

Hmmmm... Interesting. Jimmy Gordon was also on the banner of the Maryhill Club.

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
07-04-2010, 16:17
The cost of the trip to Aberdeen was 25 shillings. Given it was only a shilling to get into the ground it's like the equivilant of a European trip these days.

A trip to Ayr organised by the Linthouse Club was on offer for 7 & 6.

templbluenose
07-04-2010, 16:20

maybe that is the Maryhill club. i only assumed it was Jubilee due to the sign above the cart.

Were players associated with only one brake club?

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
07-04-2010, 16:22
maybe that is the Maryhill club. i only assumed it was Jubilee due to the sign above the cart.

Were players associated with only one brake club?

That I'm not sure about. There was a rule in place that only two RSCs from any given town were allowed to use that town's name for some reason. There couldn't be 3 RSCS from Ayr, each with the word Ayr in their title. I never actually got to the bottom of that ruling.

Same as there can't - or couldn't - be more than one RSC named after a past or present player.

lebooboo
07-04-2010, 16:30
That looks like a pub called the something Jubilee Vaults.

I can't find anything on the net....does anyone know where that was?

templbluenose
07-04-2010, 16:55

if that is the Maryhill brake club,could it be the name that used to be before Munn's vaults on Maryhill road?

only a thought:o

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
08-04-2010, 18:59
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8572/brakeclubs2.jpg

The above clipping is interesting in a number of respects. What I found startling was that the Brake Clubs' representatives of both sides actually had meetings with Bill Struth over what would be permitted into the ground! I had a conversation with Grandmaster Suck about this and he expressed surprise that the fans were as close to the Club in 1920 and I have to agree. I wonder if the Rangers' representatives had folk sniping at them back then... "Who do they think they are? They don't represent me" and so on.

Another thing is that this is one of the first instances of segregation being a factor at games in Scotland. The above cutting is prior to the 1921 Ne'erday game (which the tarriers won, their last Ne'erday success at Ibrox for over 6 decades) and there had been trouble after the last time Rangers had played Celtic at Ibrox, a 1-0 win for the good guys in March 1920. The trouble took place, according to reports, at the Govan end and, to use the description of the time, "A fair bit of knocking out was done." I'm not claiming this as fact but I think a case could be made forthis determining what was to become the main Rangers end at Ibrox and it was probably to do with the demographics of Glasgow at the time with the Copland Road end backing onto Kinning Park and being the route to the east of the city where Rangers have always had a massive following. Celtic have always had a support in the likes of Govan, Dumbarton, Greenock and so on and that would likely have been a factor in the police taking this strategic decision.

Anyway, it's not much but it's another wee link with our predecessors.

swifty
08-04-2010, 19:08
Great thread! I love things like this.

lebooboo
08-04-2010, 19:34
Charabancs carrying fans with flags, bugles, ricketies etc...........it must have been a sight to behold as they all made their way to the match. You'd also have heard them coming from a mile away, I reckon!

I had to laugh at the description "a fair bit of knocking out was done". :D

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
08-04-2010, 19:44
Charabancs carrying fans with flags, bugles, ricketies etc...........it must have been a sight to behold as they all made their way to the match. You'd also have heard them coming from a mile away, I reckon!

I had to laugh at the description "a fair bit of knocking out was done". :D

Imagine going all the way to Aberdeen on a 'charabanc'.... No windows, a roof that would blow away in the wind and wooden seats. :eek:

I did get a good laugh at a story about some Taigs in the 1920s. Their charabanc broke down in Stirling on the way home from Dundee and they had to sleep outside and 'arrived back in Glasgow, cold, wet and hungry' on the following Monday.

Ho-ho-ho.

>:)

The popular term for that mode of transport, by the way, was "charrie" which shows the Glasgow habit of shortening words isn't a particularly new thing.

Halfwaythere
08-04-2010, 19:51
Imagine going all the way to Aberdeen on a 'charabanc'.... No windows, a roof that would blow away in the wind and wooden seats. :eek:

I did get a good laugh at a story about some Taigs in the 1920s. Their charabanc broke down in Stirling on the way home from Dundee and they had to sleep outside and 'arrived back in Glasgow, cold, wet and hungry' on the following Monday.

Ho-ho-ho.

>:)

The popular term for that mode of transport, by the way, was "charrie" which shows the Glasgow habit of shortening words isn't a particularly new thing.

reminds me of this....

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/get-off-the-bus-or-you-re-all-going-to-die-1.956839

Southside_Shug
08-04-2010, 20:04
reminds me of this....

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/get-off-the-bus-or-you-re-all-going-to-die-1.956839

Why oh why did they get off the bus? How many postponments would that have given them....

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
08-04-2010, 20:05
Why oh why did they get off the bus? How many postponments would that have given them....

Ooooh, that's gotta hurt!!! :eek:

realger34
08-04-2010, 20:21
fascinating banner and wish i could help the op out :(

Really enjoy threads like this as it educates me too

the hairs stand up when i see that

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
08-04-2010, 20:28
A wee update.

There was a Linthouse Brake Club which left from Cressy Street.

Also, the Summertown one mentioned earlier was based in Govan and was ran by a B. McQuaide.

Is there / was there a Summertown scheme or village in the Govan area?

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
08-04-2010, 20:30

The last (only visible) letters look like ND. Diamond Jubilee Vaults?

Southside_Shug
08-04-2010, 20:32

There is an area up by Maryhill known as Summerston?

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/towns/townfirst2524.html

realger34
08-04-2010, 20:35
That's a terrific find, ABB, very interesting.

I've disagreed with your views of things, many times, but these sort of things are diamonds.

Respect!

That is why there must be a museum at Ibrox, with stuff like this, it would be brilliant and could make money for the club, I am sure.
The money aspect would be great but the thirst of knowledge and the chance to see who,where and when would be absolutely fantastic

Halfwaythere
08-04-2010, 20:38
Still is a Summertown Rd in Govan just off Copland Rd

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&g=Glasgow%2C+Lanarkshire%2C+UK&q=summertown+road&btnG=Search+Maps

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
08-04-2010, 20:39
Still is a Summertown Rd in Govan

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&g=Glasgow%2C+Lanarkshire%2C+UK&q=summertown+road&btnG=Search+Maps

I know that - it's at the end of Copland Road. I was wondering if there was a place in that area actually called Summertown that Summertown Road led to at one point?

realger34
08-04-2010, 20:46
I know that - it's at the end of Copland Road. I was wondering if there was a place in that area actually called Summertown that Summertown Road led to at one point?

The answer to that is no,not in govan

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
08-04-2010, 20:50
The answer to that is no,not in govan

I think we can assume the Brake Club took its name from that road then.

cannonball express
08-04-2010, 20:57
The last (only visible) letters look like ND. Diamond Jubilee Vaults?

1897 was Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.

realger34
08-04-2010, 20:57
I think we can assume the Brake Club took its name from that road then.

I used to stay in kinning park and never heard of summerton being an actual area.

Done a small bit of research online since this started and cant find anything to answer my doubts

So to answer your question(but not an expert could be wrong still)the answer is yes

coplandrearl36
08-04-2010, 21:03
Mitchell Library has maps of Glasgow for 1920's, my daughter used them for Uni, it is amazing how slightly different spellings relate to areas of present day Glasgow.

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
08-04-2010, 21:04
Mitchell Library has maps of Glasgow for 1920's, my daughter used them for Uni, it is amazing how slightly different spellings relate to areas of present day Glasgow.

Copeland and Copland being one of them funnily enough!

georgiegirl
08-04-2010, 21:21
I always thought that the Rangers end at Ibrox was the end nearest to the city centre therefore making it the popular end with the Celtic end at Parkhead being nearest the town being the same. Hampdens Rangers end also being the end nearest to the city centre could this be that Rangers had the bigger support and also played there more often?

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
08-04-2010, 21:31
I always thought that the Rangers end at Ibrox was the end nearest to the city centre therefore making it the popular end with the Celtic end at Parkhead being nearest the town being the same. Hampdens Rangers end also being the end nearest to the city centre could this be that Rangers had the bigger support and also played there more often?

That is a possibility but I tend to think it was decided on account of where the bulk of the supporters came from.

When they started segregating at Parkhead the Bears were directed down London Road after the games and the Taigs down the Gallowgate. There were two strongly Orange areas right on the doorstep of Parkhead - Bridgeton and Dalmarnock - and the Rangers fans were directed to these areas.

It's strange that at Hampden we get the west terracing but at Ibrox and Parkhead we were given the east areas in the main, though.

Southside_Shug
08-04-2010, 21:33
That is a possibility but I tend to think it was decided on account of where the bulk of the supporters came from.

When they started segregating at Parkhead the Bears were directed down London Road after the games and the Taigs down the Gallowgate. There were two strongly Orange areas right on the doorstep of Parkhead - Bridgeton and Dalmarnock - and the Rangers fans were directed to these areas.

It's strange that at Hampden we get the west terracing but at Ibrox and Parkhead we were given the east areas in the main, though.

Always thought Hampden was pretty straight forward,we being from the West and those cants from the east...

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
08-04-2010, 21:35
Always thought Hampden was pretty straight forward,we being from the West and those cants from the east...

It could be as simple as that for Hampden. I tend to think we were given the east terracing elsewhere - particularly at Parkhead - for a reason though.

Southside_Shug
08-04-2010, 21:40
It could be as simple as that for Hampden. I tend to think we were given the east terracing elsewhere - particularly at Parkhead - for a reason though.

:):):)

You'll get people talking!!!;)

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
08-04-2010, 21:55
:):):)

You'll get people talking!!!;)

Thanks for clarifying what you were on about. :o

dubwiser
08-04-2010, 22:10
Forgot i had this on the HD.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4371/brake1.jpg (http://img191.imageshack.us/i/brake1.jpg/)

cannonball express
08-04-2010, 22:14
Forgot i had this on the HD.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4371/brake1.jpg (http://img191.imageshack.us/i/brake1.jpg/)

Nice one..

Calvers72
09-04-2010, 01:53
Oh for The Rangers to have such a dedicated soul as yourself in the heirarchy at Ibrox today. You gladden the heart of inquisitive bears everywhere. Just when you think that the modern day "customer" ethic is taking over,gentlemen like yourself and other great supporters on here ,step in and bring our traditions to the fore and keep the history of this great club alive. Sorry i have nothing to offer on the research front,but feel obliged to acknowledge the tremendous [and that is heartfelt] contribution to keeping our great story going. The work i have witnessed by some of the bears and bearettes on here has been astounding. Riveting stuff

Totally agree with that. It's just as well there's fans like this because you couldn't rely on the club much these days to provide us with noteworthy information about the distant past and some fans are simply not interested in history which is their loss.

britain
09-04-2010, 06:09

I believe that a shilling back in 1927 is worth approximately one pound today. I know that's a few years later than the date you have mate !

bluebaz
09-04-2010, 08:56
An absolutely fascinating thread.

Best of luck to ABB in his research.

Crouchy
09-04-2010, 09:13
Apologies for going off topic slightly on your Thread ABB.

Came across this last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoeU6lzoIZw

Some of the lads on this thread might appreciated it.

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
11-04-2010, 13:41
Found out that Uddingston had a Rangers Brake Club in the early 1920s as well.

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
15-04-2010, 21:11
Newspapers of the time mentioning the members of the Rangers and scum Brake Clubs had a major battle after a game in 1920 in Uddingston.

templbluenose
15-04-2010, 21:33
have you thought of recreating a FF brake club at the start of next season for the 1st home game?

straight down paisley road west.would be a fantastic sight.

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
15-04-2010, 21:36
have you thought of recreating a FF brake club at the start of next season for the 1st home game?

Great idea! Fans' groups - how about it?

lebooboo
15-04-2010, 21:38

I'd buy a bugle and a rickety for that.

templbluenose
15-04-2010, 21:58
I'd buy a bugle and a rickety for that.

might think your're the rag and bone man:)

dubwiser
15-04-2010, 22:09
I don't know if this is a original or a reproduction 'Brake Club' badge as i bought it from fleabay a few years ago. :ninja:

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4859/15984049.gif (http://img691.imageshack.us/i/15984049.gif/)

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
18-04-2010, 09:48
I don't know if this is a original or a reproduction 'Brake Club' badge as i bought it from fleabay a few years ago. :ninja:

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4859/15984049.gif (http://img691.imageshack.us/i/15984049.gif/)

I wonder if there's any significance behind the "Good Luck" motto......

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
24-04-2010, 15:24
It seems at a game in Falkirk in 1922 some Rangers Brake Club members got 'a wee bit exhuberant' and a few found themselves up in the local court on the Monday morning......

:angel:

The authorities were getting fed up with trouble breaking out at games during this period - trouble at football games isn't all that new and games between Morton and Celtic at Cappielow regularly ended in violence as well - and as a way of combatting it, what do you think they did with regard to Rangers?

That's right - the Police worked with the Rangers Brake Club authorities for the next game (a Glasgow Cup game at Third Lanark) and delegated certain leading figures in the Brake Club Association to stand at the turnstiles and ensure the travelling Rangers fans stayed within the regulations of not taking in banners, bugles and so on. Nine decades ago the authorities worked with fans - look at what goes on now!

Also, at a game at Parkhead in 1922 the fact there were Orange banners in the Rangers end was noted in a paper for the first time that I can see but the way it was written I think that was far from the first time they had been on display.

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
24-04-2010, 15:58
If it were possible it would be a cracking way to raise money for charity to run one of these old charabancs to a Rangers game. Aberdeen in December gets my vote.

dubwiser
02-05-2010, 17:24
A mention of the Brake Clubs from the Sydney Morning Herald (1932).

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4334/sydneymorningheraldnov2.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/i/sydneymorningheraldnov2.jpg/)

johnoblue
02-05-2010, 17:38

Here Here, brilliant work ABB.

Job No.86/20
02-05-2010, 17:59
excuse my ignorance on this one,

which I am not sure is a Glasgow thing and I am not from Glasgow,

but why is it called a Brake Club, what does the brake mean?:o

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
02-05-2010, 18:03
excuse my ignorance on this one,

which I am not sure is a Glasgow thing and I am not from Glasgow,

but why is it called a Brake Club, what does the brake mean?:o

A Brake was a form of transport as in the picture of the horse drawn carriage.

Job No.86/20
02-05-2010, 18:04

Aw right,

cheers for that pal

TommyRFC
02-05-2010, 18:06
One day we WILL have a museum and I hope ABB gets to fill his boots putting it together and organising the contents......

Will they let ABB out of the museum :cool:

Great work ABB truly a great Rangers fan & a man toboot.

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
09-05-2010, 00:11
I'm following the development of the police and their tactics on how to segregate crowds. In that regard does anybody have pictures or maps of the Paisley Road Toll area from the early 1920s?

It's to do with directions given to Brake Clubs.

pastmaster95 & 244
09-05-2010, 02:23

Later superceded by the "shooting brake".

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
09-05-2010, 22:41
The cutting attached isn't going to change the course of history but I thought I'd share it with people who are as sad enough as I am to even be interested in where buses were directed in the 1920s! The one on the left is regarding the Rangers - scum Ne'erday game in 1923 and shows the tarriers were actually sent to the left at Paisley Road Toll and up the PRW when heading to Ibrox and the Bears to the right. The one on the right is from a game in May at the Mhidden and shows what the coppers then had to take into account when getting Bears who weren't travelling from the Bridgeton / Dalmarnock area to the ground.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4103/brakeclubs3.jpg

britain
10-05-2010, 13:23
The cutting attached isn't going to change the course of history but I thought I'd share it with people who are as sad enough as I am to even be interested in where buses were directed in the 1920s! The one on the left is regarding the Rangers - scum Ne'erday game in 1923 and shows the tarriers were actually sent to the left at Paisley Road Toll and up the PRW when heading to Ibrox and the Bears to the right. The one on the right is from a game in May at the Mhidden and shows what the coppers then had to take into account when getting Bears who weren't travelling from the Bridgeton / Dalmarnock area to the ground.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4103/brakeclubs3.jpg

Another historical gem mate.:)

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
10-05-2010, 20:33
Can anybody provide a map or pictures of the areas of the time?

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
31-05-2010, 17:07
After a Rangers - Celtic game at Ibrox in the early 20s, an entire busload of tarriers were arrested and flung in the cells for 'threatening the lieges'.

leeh1992
31-05-2010, 17:16
It is a pity there are none of these bannerettes at Ibrox.

interbear
31-05-2010, 17:29
Superb stuff ABB - both interesting and educational (now I know what "Brake" actually means in this context). Keep it coming, our story really is worthy of a museum, I'm convinced of that.

mfgorm
31-05-2010, 18:18
here is another photo (although certainly not a Brake Club), just fans leaving Ibrox and boarding a bus to Bridgeton in the 1930s.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii164/halfwaybear/C--DocumentsandSettings-Guest-MyDoc.jpg

Not a bus, a tram.

There was a siding in Broomloan Rd from PRW down towards Edmiston Dr. It could hold approx 40 cars on double track. They ran special services to take fans home or into town to connect to another service. Don't know when they stopped using it. There are photos showing all the cars lined up waiting for the end of the match, but don't know where on-line.

WATP85
31-05-2010, 18:59
Best of luck ABB on keeping the thread going. Interesting stuff that I never knew existed.

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
01-06-2010, 20:32
Imagine going to Aberdeen in January in one of these.....

http://www.svvs.org/links5/Daimler_Charabanc.jpg

Gauche.
01-06-2010, 20:45
Fantastic reading,thanks for posting.

britain
02-06-2010, 05:22
After a Rangers - Celtic game at Ibrox in the early 20s, an entire busload of tarriers were arrested and flung in the cells for 'threatening the lieges'.

Quite rightly too:D

Guilty as charged :D:D

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
19-06-2010, 22:20
Unsurprisingly Bridgeton can be noted as having a Rangers Brake Club as well in the 1920s.

It's very possible the Brigtonians of that era had their own "The famine is over, why don't you go home?" episode. A Rangers Brake Club from Bridgeton *ahem* 'attracted the attention' of the Southside polis after a Rangers - Celtic game at Ibrox. Among the things confiscated by Plod off the bus were three large tatties! I leave it to you to decide what they were for.......

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
19-06-2010, 22:34
There's also every chance the Brake Clubs started the tradition of RSCs leaving early to get to away games for opening time... (Or to see the sights of wherever it was Rangers were playing.....)

For a Rangers game at Methil in the mid 1920s, a Brake Club was spotted leaving the Paisley Road area at 8am on the morning of the game...... :angel:

tommybluenose
19-06-2010, 23:08
There's also every chance the Brake Clubs started the tradition of RSCs leaving early to get to away games for opening time... (Or to see the sights of wherever it was Rangers were playing.....)

For a Rangers game at Methil in the mid 1920s, a Brake Club was spotted leaving the Paisley Road area at 8am on the morning of the game...... :angel:

Thanks for posting such great information mate , On another note sounds like the Toryglen True Blue bus on away days . ;) :D Hope WB is keeping good bro .

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
19-06-2010, 23:17
Thanks for posting such great information mate , On another note sounds like the Toryglen True Blue bus on away days . ;) :D Hope WB is keeping good bro .

The only games we leave early for are away games in Europe ;) Any game in Scotland is left till the very last kick, normally getting into our seat as the game is kicking off... :D

tommybluenose
19-06-2010, 23:29
The only games we leave early for are away games in Europe ;) Any game in Scotland is left till the very last kick, normally getting into our seat as the game is kicking off... :D

Yeah I only remember going to Aberdeen at 8am even when it was a 3pm kick off . I remember we got stopped at Dundee by a police checkpoint and the Police asked one of the guys at the front of the bus why we were here so early and as quick as you like he piped up ' If you seen the state of my wife , you would know why I was leaving early ' cue the bus going into a uproar and the police officer leaving the bus with a wry smile on his face with no comeback . Sorry for going off topic and good luck finding more info mate . ;)

Ayrshire_Billy_Boy
20-06-2010, 08:39
Something I meant to post last night.....

It seems another entire busload of Taigs (from Garngad this time) were arrested because of their behaviour but they resolved to fight the charges that were put to them. To mount their defence they actually wrote to a load of Rangers Brake Clubs asking for financial support. I've not actually found the response to this but will put it up here if and when I do.

Reading about that era, though, I can't make up my mind if the legal system was better or worse than it is now. Every single arrest back then, no matter how trivial the offence or what evidence there was, seemed to end with a night in the cells then a court appearance.

templbluenose
11-09-2010, 22:28
Can anybody provide a map or pictures of the areas of the time?

map of Glasgow from 1912. you can zoom and out.

http://maps.nls.uk/atlas/bartholomew/view/?id=1206

coist9
11-09-2010, 22:39

This is tremendous

templbluenose
05-06-2011, 17:55
thought this deserved a bump since we have a thread on the Maryhill banner on ebay.

simonon
05-06-2011, 19:17
If Rangers ever get round to opening the museum it would be an opportunity missed if the story of the brake clubs was not told.

regnar
06-06-2011, 00:11
My Father told me, that the first time he saw Rangers, was at the age of 8. He was playing in the street, when the local Brake Club,( Calton) was leaving for a game. He and some of his pals ran after them, and ended up at celtic park. This was in 1918, and he supported Rangers from that day until 1999 when he died. By the way, their Mothers had been looking for them, and when they eventually got home, agood leathering was applied.

dubwiser
26-02-2012, 20:24
A great thread about our history that deserves a bump.

Although not the best quality this picture shows about seven 'Brakes' at Ibrox for a game against Celtc. The picture appeared in the Record on the 2nd of January 1913. Unfortunately we don't know which set of fans the 'brakes' brought to the match.:D

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8154/brakesml.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/brakesml.jpg/)

AD bear
26-02-2012, 21:19
The Camlachie Institute if i'm correct was at the top of Yate Street in Barrowfield on the Gallowgate.This was where a boot, goalposts and cup shaped bricks were in the street cobbles.

jackieboyrfc
26-02-2012, 21:34
Whatever happened to Ayshire Billy Boy?

bilkobear
26-02-2012, 21:41
you have missed out the last part of the article, whereby the reporter shows his impartiality Unbiased reporting of the old school. From the Glasgow Observer, 1924

“On the Rangers terracing on Saturday there was congregated a gang, thousands strong, including the dregs and scourings of filthy slumdom, unwashed yahoos, jailbirds nighthawks, won't works, burro-barnacles and pavement pirates, all, or nearly all, in the scarecrow stage of verminous trampdom. This ragged army of insanitary pests was lavishly provided with orange and blue remnants.... Practically without cessation, the vagabond scum kept up a strident howl of the "Boyne Water" chorus. Nothing so bestially ignorant has ever been witnessed, even in the wildest exhibitions of Glasgow Orange bigotry……”

The reporter went on to describe the assembled throng of Celtic fans.

“These complaints do not apply to the Celtic brake-clubs (supporters' clubs) whose members, reasonable sentient human beings, are models of decorum and possess official testimonials to their blameless behaviour.....They are fond of singing, and to this no-one can reasonably object. On Saturday, the boys sang to their heart's content. They gave us so many rousing choruses. "Hail Glorious St. Patrick", "God Save Ireland", "Slievenamon" "The Soldier's Song".... When Cassidy's goal made victory sure, it was fine to hear the massed thousands at the western end of the Ibrox oval chanting thunderously "On Erin's Green Valleys'...

Indeed.
This is a fine example of their intolerant bigoted and biased writing when they write for each other in their own organs.
Is it any surprise that they have transported such partiality into our national press?

They are incapable of being impartial and when given authority or position over Protestants they will always seek to destroy us after declaring us to be less than human.
The never live harmoniously with others but always seek to dominate and then eliminate.

Men like Reid and Galloway in politics are a signal to the future if they ever get power over us.
Liewell is merely resorting to type.

History is littered with pogroms and ethnic cleansing of Protestants inside RC countries.
Southern Ireland is just a recent example of such.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/jul/11/catholicism.religion

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,829837,00.html

http://www.bwa-baptist-heritage.org/s-italy.htm

http://www1.yadvashem.org/odot_pdf/microsoft%20word%20-%20695.pdf

The French of course killed Huguenots in their thousands and left Protestants a fearful minority until modern times.

Contrast it with how they seek to move to Protestant countries when they leave their own for a better life and how well they are treated.

http://www.sobran.com/columns/2002/020411.shtml

Will Protestants in Scotland somehow fare better if they ever get the upper hand over us?

beanyrfc
26-02-2012, 22:12
Grear thread

am proud 2 b blue
26-02-2012, 22:19
cheers dubwiser, good reading through this again

chance to ressurect this again as well

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9526/internetexplorerwallpapc.png

colinstein
26-02-2012, 22:29
Farm Labourer - £1.70
Pottery Worker - £2.70
Coal Miner - £4.00
Footballer - £4.50

25 pennies would have been 2 shillings and one penny written like this 2/1

BlueNotWhyte
26-02-2012, 22:52
25 pennies would have been 2 shillings and one penny written like this 2/1

I think ABB's original post about costs translates five shillings (old money) into 25p rather than to be read as 25 old pennies ?

ao
26-02-2012, 23:51
A great thread about our history that deserves a bump.

Although not the best quality this picture shows about seven 'Brakes' at Ibrox for a game against Celtc. The picture appeared in the Record on the 2nd of January 1913. Unfortunately we don't know which set of fans the 'brakes' brought to the match.:D

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8154/brakesml.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/brakesml.jpg/)

We lost this game 1-0 to the scum :(

But we still won the league that year anyway :)

This is a tremendous thread btw!

newlandsmac
27-02-2012, 01:00
Well here's something I didn't know - googled "rangers glee clubs" and got this (don't think I can see Liewell doing something similar today :-) ):-

A CELTIC chairman set an example to Old Firm fans more than 100 years ago - by singing for RANGERS.

Pianist John McLaughlin used to provide the entertainment at the Ibrox side's social club.

McLaughlin is one of the most important figures in the Hoops' history-he pressed for professionalism in the Scottish game and helped to transform Celtic froma charity organisation into football club.

But when he wasn't working for Celts or playing organ in chapel, McLaughlin - a founder of the Scottish League in 1893 - was performing across the city as Gers' official accompanyist.

Richard McBrearty, curator at the Scottish Football Museum at Hampden, yesterday revealed that McLaughlin was "a talented musician who spent years playing piano and singing for the Rangers Glee Club".

He added: "McLaughlin was a Celtic committee man, who was appointed chairman in 1897. He was also a good pianist and was known for his good singing voice.

"Glee clubs were part of the entertainment organised by football clubs at a time when the game was just emerging.

"Football was the main activity but clubs organised athletics, swimming, rambling and singing.

"The glee clubs took place in town or church halls. Someone would play piano along with one or two other musicians.

"People would sing the songs of the day, although not the kind of chants you hear on the terraces these days.

"If you were a good singer in one glee club, you might be invited to another. McLaughlin would have been invited along to play piano and sing."

Richard believes this demonstrates how the Old Firm clubs were friends in the late 19th century - when both were dwarfed by the once mighty Queen's Park.

He said: "Celtic and Rangers had a good relationship in the early days but it is still remarkable to think a Celtic chairman once led the Rangers singing.

"It seems alien to us but it would have been a good old knees-up."

Celtic historian Tom Campbell said the club chairman leading a a Gers singsong would have been no surprise back then.

He added: "It was a sing-a-long where people did turns, the modern version of karaoke.

"In those days, there wasn't the same Old Firm divide."

dubwiser
27-02-2012, 01:19
Something I meant to post last night.....

It seems another entire busload of Taigs (from Garngad this time) were arrested because of their behaviour but they resolved to fight the charges that were put to them. To mount their defence they actually wrote to a load of Rangers Brake Clubs asking for financial support. I've not actually found the response to this but will put it up here if and when I do.

Reading about that era, though, I can't make up my mind if the legal system was better or worse than it is now. Every single arrest back then, no matter how trivial the offence or what evidence there was, seemed to end with a night in the cells then a court appearance.

Not quite the same. :D

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3980/westernv.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/westernv.jpg/)

Hull Daily Mail - Friday 20 November 1925

_Wodrow_
27-02-2012, 09:26
Reading this thread and thinking of the hardships the guys in the Brake Clubs must have went through to follow Rangers makes the current situation all the more heartbreaking. :(

Billyurksboots
27-02-2012, 09:39
Great thread I must have missed at the time.

I thought Tiree was back for a moment.

gordy1873
27-02-2012, 09:56
Whatever happened to Ayshire Billy Boy?

He got fed up of taigs infiltrating the site.

The_Gub
27-02-2012, 10:24
A little off-topic, but this passage shows where Speirs got the inspiration for his writing style!

From the Glasgow Observer, 1921:

"On the terracing at the Dalmornock end on Saturday there was congregated a gang, thousands strong, including the dregs and scourings of filthy slumdom, unwashed yahoos, jailbirds, night hawks, won't-works, 'burroo barnacles', and pavement pirates, all, or nearly all, in the scarecrow stage of verminous trampdom. This ragged army of insantitary pests was lavishly provided with orange and blue remnants, and these were flaunted in challenge as the football tide flowed this way or that. Practically with out cessation for ninety minutes or more, the vagabond scum kept up a strident howl of the 'Boyne Water' chorus. Nothing so designedly provoking, so maliciously insulting, or so beastially ignorant has ever been witnessed even in the wildest exhibitions of Glasgow Orange bigotry.....Blatantly filthy language of the lowest criminal type assailed the shocked ears of decent onlookers. There was no getting away from it, chanted as it was by thousands of voices in bedlamite yells. The stentorian use of filthy language is a crime against the law of the land. Policemen lined the track and listened to the hooligan uproar, yet nothing was done to stop it. The scandal was renewed with increased violence in London Road after the match. Is it possible the blue mob can do just anything and get away with it? Prompt official steps were taken to suppress and prosecute the green brake-club lads who dared to sing 'The Dear Little Shamrock' in Paisley Road. Yet thousands of foul-mouthed and blasphemous Orange ruffians are free to run amok over the East End of Glasgow. How do you account for it?"

There is a further passage, relating to the brakes, in the final post.

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110079

That was written by a priest (Man in the Know) and appeared in The (Catholic) Observer. I'm assuming we had just beaten them.

And their hatred is just as stong today.

britain
28-02-2012, 07:27

Great photo.

am proud 2 b blue
14-08-2012, 20:38
someone mention Brake Clubs;)

rocker
14-08-2012, 21:08
What a brilliant thread and perhaps the best since the one of old Ibrox photos.

Superb.

:)

Halfwaythere
14-08-2012, 22:30
Lot of good stuff on this thread. There should be a separate forum of FF classic threads.

annanberr06
14-08-2012, 23:06
Why not run a "brake" for the oldest derby in the world in december? Ricketies,bugles,big sideburns and top hats all round for the jaunt to hampden 1870s style! Possibility???

britain
15-08-2012, 07:04
Why not run a "brake" for the oldest derby in the world in december? Ricketies,bugles,big sideburns and top hats all round for the jaunt to hampden 1870s style! Possibility???

Sounds an idea.

livi_true_blue
15-08-2012, 07:22

I'm up for that, a top hat, bowler hat, flat cap day ... with The Broons style moustaches !

onedadoprso1
15-08-2012, 08:18

a very important point indeed. i can only hope Mr green takes note.

BB72
15-08-2012, 09:24
This photo dated 1890 shows fans travelling to Hampden in a Brake Club. The caption doesn't mention whether they are Rangers, Scotland or even QP supporters, however it does illustrate the mode of transport fans used in the city in the 19th Century.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii164/halfwaybear/old%20bus/C--DocumentsandSettings-Guest-MyDoc.jpg

Great thread imagine headin to the game in a horse and cart:)

ginger_one
15-08-2012, 09:37
Great thread keep up the good work WATP

dubwiser
09-09-2012, 17:56
Another bump for this fantastic thread with a bit more info.

This clipping if from 1889 and is about the KP Brake Club. We need to find out what a 'Switchback' is. :D

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3803/ssoct1889.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/255/ssoct1889.jpg/)

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2019/sq3x9g.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/sq3x9g.jpg/)

sam_cooke
09-09-2012, 18:41
Another bump for this fantastic thread with a bit more info.

This clipping if from 1889 and is about the KP Brake Club. We need to find out what a 'Switchback' is. :D

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3803/ssoct1889.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/255/ssoct1889.jpg/)

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2019/sq3x9g.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/sq3x9g.jpg/)

great find :)

rangeral
01-09-2013, 21:37
small bump......

CathkinHi
22-09-2014, 15:31
A wee bump for a vintage thread, to go in tandem with old supporters club images.

CathkinHi
22-09-2014, 16:19
You didn't mess with the Rangers Brake Clubs of the 1920's..............

On Sept 11 1922 under the heading 'A bayonet charge", the Mercury described the participation of members of one of the Glasgow Rangers brake clubs in disorderly incidents that took place following a match involving the Glasgow team. Brake clubs were groups of fans who travelled away in motorised vehicles such as charabancs and lorries.

Quote; Remarkable scenes were witnessed in the evening during the return journey of the Glasgow Rangers' club brakes. Bottles had been thrown from one brake and a third vehicle was assailed with stones as it was passing.
The occupants , all young men, dismounted and marching back to where the stones were thrown , many carrying heavy iron bars, swords and bayonets, they attacked the people in a row of miners' houses, one old man being badly assaulted.
The men spent nearly an hour skirmishing in the vicinity of wash houses and outbuildings in search for those who threw the stones and eventually returned to the club brake and drove off.

britain
23-09-2014, 07:08
Great to see this thread back.

kenikinif
23-09-2014, 10:48
great informative thread thanks to all the contributors

CathkinHi
23-09-2014, 19:42

Brilliant photo of extremely well dressed Brigtonians.

templbluenose
19-06-2016, 21:09
bump for this thread.

There has been a few recent ones on Rangers history, so I thought this one deserved a bump.

on a side note what has happened to ABB?

rangeral
19-06-2016, 21:17
bump for this thread.

There has been a few recent ones on Rangers history, so I thought this one deserved a bump.

on a side note what has happened to ABB?

Chucked supporting us and now living on a desert island:ninja:

Nah just got fed they way this board was going, last spoke him at Morton away in January

templbluenose
19-06-2016, 21:41
Chucked supporting us and now living on a desert island:ninja:

Nah just got fed they way this board was going, last spoke him at Morton away in January

Sad loss to the board.

britain
20-06-2016, 07:21
Great to see this historic thread back.

britain
20-06-2016, 07:24

On Sept 11 1922 under the heading 'A bayonet charge", the Mercury described the participation of members of one of the Glasgow Rangers brake clubs in disorderly incidents that took place following a match involving the Glasgow team. Brake clubs were groups of fans who travelled away in motorised vehicles such as charabancs and lorries.

Quote; Remarkable scenes were witnessed in the evening during the return journey of the Glasgow Rangers' club brakes. Bottles had been thrown from one brake and a third vehicle was assailed with stones as it was passing.
The occupants , all young men, dismounted and marching back to where the stones were thrown , many carrying heavy iron bars, swords and bayonets, they attacked the people in a row of miners' houses, one old man being badly assaulted.
The men spent nearly an hour skirmishing in the vicinity of wash houses and outbuildings in search for those who threw the stones and eventually returned to the club brake and drove off.

Nobody messed with 'The Rangers Brake' back then !

dex78
20-06-2016, 09:08
Great thread never heard of brakes clubs before

britain
21-06-2016, 07:07

Great banner.

Grandmaster_Suck
14-09-2016, 15:28
Great thread that deserves a bump!

britain
15-09-2016, 06:37
Good to see this thread back.

Grandmaster_Suck
15-09-2016, 13:00
Wee article about the 70th Anniversary of the formation of the Supporters Association - http://www.*****************/news/tmnw/70th_anniversary_of_the_rangers_supporters_associa tion_894496/index.shtml

davieloyal
15-09-2016, 13:10
great stuff loving it.

templbluenose
07-03-2017, 19:03
wee bump....

since it was mentioned on the "I saw the founders play thread"

Marshall1873
07-03-2017, 20:16
Just a thought would some of the guys that post on here, maybe the Rangers Trust, speak to some of the big hitters and get private money to build a museum maybe twin it with a restaurant and a club shop.

I think the business prospects from something like this must be good, I think it would be very attractive for both fans and visitors to Scotland.

In my opinion, a stand alone meuseum would never work.

We have a restaurant in Arggle House which is hardly used and even when we get our commercial activities back, most sales will be done online

hawkfalcons
07-03-2017, 22:52

that is fantastic love this stuff makes you want to transport in time to see and feel what it was like to be a
Rangers follower at that time

CathkinHi
07-03-2017, 22:54

Love this photo, nearly 130 years ago fans travelling to a game, I wonder what the carry out of the day was, if any at all

CathkinHi
07-03-2017, 22:56
Love this photo, nearly 130 years ago fans travelling to a game, I wonder what the carry out of the day was, if any at all

The building is probably still there, across the road from the Tim slop house The Penny Farthing near Dixon Halls.

ChampionGer
07-03-2017, 23:15

Don't know if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread (I'll go back and read all of it later), but it's easy to understand the genesis of Brake Clubs, even from this distant time.

Back then, The Licensing Act 1872 gave "bona fide travellers" the right to consume alcoholic beverages outside of the normal licensing hours.

So, much like The Waverley took advantage of this loophole to arrange piss ups whilst heading "doon the water" (the original booze cruises), the "brakes" taking travellers to football matches would probably have afforded the guests the opportunity to claim bona fide traveller status and thus enabled them to consume alcohol legally on the way to the match.

Anyway, what a wonderful old thread and a tremendously interesting piece chronicling the glorious history of this great club. :D

boldvale
08-03-2017, 11:19

No one likes us, we do care.:barscarf: