PDA

View Full Version : In Memory of the Markinch lads who never made it home.

Pages : [1] 2

kevger1
17-03-2010, 11:24
http://i40.tinypic.com/noj53m.jpg

MEMORIES OF A TRAGIC DAY

Published Date: 04 January 2006

On the 35th anniversary of the Ibrox disaster, correspondent Shane Fenton recalls his personal memories of the tragedy in which five of his friends were among the 66 people killed.

THE MORNING of January 2, 1971, was like any other matchday morning for us young Old Firm fans from the south end of Markinch, with the usual 'mickey-taking', banter and side-bets.
Pete Lee, Joe Mitchell and myself, all Celtic fans, walked from Markinch along with Dougie Morrison, Peter Easton, Ron Paton, Mason Philp and Bryan Todd, all Rangers followers.
We were headed for the CISWO Club in Glenrothes where we would board the rival supporters' buses.
Despite supporting different teams we were all the best of mates and most of us played for the then Markinch United football team.
Little did we know as we boarded our buses that it would be the last time we would see our pals.
The match itself was nothing out of the ordinary and looked to be heading for a no-scoring draw when Celtic scored in the last minute.
We at the Celtic end decided to leave at this stage and were actually back on our bus for some 15 minutes before some of the older supporters arrived and told us that Rangers had equalised.
At that time we knew nothing of the tragic events that were happening on stairway 13. In fact, it wasn't until the bus made a stop in Kincardine on the way home that we heard something had happened at the Rangers end of Ibrox.
The older fans who had been at the pub for a refreshment had heard the news on the television. We never thought for a minute that Markinch boys had been involved.
When I returned many locals had already started to panic. My relatives, like those of the other boys who knew we were at the match, had already started inquiring to make sure we were all okay.
When the news eventually came through that Ron, Dougie, Bryan, Peter and Mason hadn't returned with the Rangers' bus all kinds of thoughts went through our heads.
We hoped that they had just missed the bus and would arrive home later. We stayed out until late in the evening hoping they would appear on the last buses and trains into Markinch.
It was over the next couple of days when the devastating news that we feared had become a reality. The entire village was in complete shock with the news that our five friends had been victims of the terrible disaster.
The next few days Markinch, particularly Park View, the street where four of the boys lived was awash with reporters, photographers and television news crews.
When it was time for the funerals, almost the entire town of Markinch, then a population of 2,344, turned out to mourn the five local schoolboys.
Three of the boys were buried side by side at Markinch Cemetery. The services of the other two were held at Kirkcaldy Crematorium.
I can remember the cortege stretching back along the streets lined with mourners.
Rangers' chairman, John Lawrence, attended the service at Markinch along with half a dozen players.
The boys may be gone, but 35 years on, they are still remembered by the people of Markinch. Their names come up periodically when we recall schoolboy tales in our pub conversations. And there is a permanent reminder with the memorial plaque which is situated at the end of Park View.
Just last year I was asked to feature on a BBC Radio programme about the disaster and also contributed my recollection to a book that is currently being written.
The tragedy affected many people in different ways. For me, it put me off attending many more senior football matches. Before the disaster I could count on one hand the amount of Celtic matches I had missed in the previous four years. Since it, I probably wouldn't need one hand to count the games I've been to.

http://i43.tinypic.com/r74oib.jpg

PETER EASTON - Aged 13 - MARKINCH
MARTIN PATON - Aged 14 - MARKINCH
MASON PHILLIPS - Aged 14 - MARKINCH
BRIAN TODD - Aged 14 - MARKINCH
DOUGLAS MORRISON - Aged 15 - MARKINCH

RIP.

Westwood
17-03-2010, 12:07
Stairway 13 is one of the hardest books I have ever, or will ever, read.

RIP.

billyfaefife
17-03-2010, 12:34
for ever in our thoughts.

Les Briggs Loyal
17-03-2010, 12:51
Absent Friends.....................................

RIP

kirkieger
17-03-2010, 13:00
I have a medal I won from a five a side tournament, the Fife Fives, which was run amongst Fife's Primary schools in 1972 to commemorate these five boys.

The writer of the article Shane Fenton didn't go to any senior football after the disaster he ran the Markinch Hibs boys club team through the seventies.

RIP

Bombers Boot
17-03-2010, 13:06
Rip...............................

TeddybearTam
17-03-2010, 13:11
Rip......................

balbedie
17-03-2010, 13:13
i was lucky, i made it home that awful day, i will have a personal moment every january 2nd as long as i live

RIP

sam_cooke
17-03-2010, 13:27
still tragic after all these years !

laganvillage
17-03-2010, 13:30
I remember the documentary made a few years ago when the mother of one of the boys spoke movingly about that fateful day.
Forever in our thoughts.

jocky
17-03-2010, 13:31
I have a medal I won from a five a side tournament, the Fife Fives, which was run amongst Fife's Primary schools in 1972 to commemorate these five boys.

The writer of the article Shane Fenton didn't go to any senior football after the disaster he ran the Markinch Hibs boys club team through the seventies.

RIP
Shanes article is one of the most heart felt articles that I have ever read on the disaster. I know him well having played for Markinch Hibs for many years and yep whilst he remained a Celtic supporter and we would have a bit of banter on Old Firm games I always knew how badly affected he was by the events.

krs
17-03-2010, 13:46
RIP wee ones

RedWhiteAndJew
17-03-2010, 13:59
I remember the documentary made a few years ago when the mother of one of the boys spoke movingly about that fateful day.
Forever in our thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39SxG0F3Fy8

kevger1
17-03-2010, 14:07
Shanes article is one of the most heart felt articles that I have ever read on the disaster. I know him well having played for Markinch Hibs for many years and yep whilst he remained a Celtic supporter and we would have a bit of banter on Old Firm games I always knew how badly affected he was by the events.

This following article is a difficult read too.

These are the moving words of ambulanceman Jack Kirkland, one of the many who did what they could to save lives on that dark night at Ibrox....

After the final whistle at Ibrox that Saturday I went off home, unaware that anything unusual had happened, for I’d left from an exit far from the Copland Road end of the Stadium and the stairway where the horror of Ibrox took place.

I was whistling when I arrived home, ready for my tea, and a relaxing Saturday night in front of the television. My young daughter came running out to meet me and I held out my arms to her. Then I realised she wasn’t smiling or laughing at me. She was breathless and shouting. ‘Daddy, daddy! There’s a man on the phone. He says you’ve to hurry.’ I ran past her and into the house.

It was the duty control officer who was calling. ‘A barrier’s collapsed at Ibrox, Jack. It looks bad. We have reports coming in all the time.’

‘But I’ve just come from there…’ and I thought, it can’t be that bad. I would have known, surely?

‘It happened just after the final whistle. News of it is just beginning to come through. You’d better get back there, right now. There’s a fleet of ambulances on its way now. I’m afraid the single duty ambulance that’s always there is sorely inadequate.’

When I arrived at Ibrox the scene was one of complete chaos. People were running about all over the place, shock etched on their faces. I had to fight my way through the crowd to reach the ambulance room in the main building.

I just wasn’t prepared for the sight that greeted me when I arrived there. There wasn’t an unoccupied room in the building; patients were lying everywhere, on floors, in corridors, being treated by the St Andrew’s Ambulance Volunteers in attendance. I saw two young nurses, only girls themselves, giving mouth to mouth resuscitation to men who lay dying, ribs crushed, faces smeared with blood. The air was filled with the cries of the dying and the injured. In the melee I managed to find my colleague, Robert Brown. We decided the best thing we could do was to return to the Main Stand and liaise with the senior police officer.

We had to step over bodies that had been laid on the ground. Men moaning in pain, their faces pain weary. Police and ambulance men were giving the injured and unconscious oxygen or mouth to mouth resuscitation. Rescuers were taking many to the Main Stand for medical attention.

I checked in with ambulance control. No one hospital could cope with the number of injured we had here. Five hospitals were alerted to receive casualties. The Southern General was to take the majority of the injured. Others went to the Victoria, the Western, the Royal and the Royal Alexandria in Paisley. Paisley ambulance control too had been requested to assist and had despatched three ambulances.

Off duty ambulance officers and men had rushed from their homes to HQ to take up duty as soon as they heard the news of the disaster on radio or television. The officers had been sent to the hospitals receiving casualties and the police mortuary. Their task, to speed up the turn round of ambulances and to make sure they were fully equipped before returning to the stadium.

Soon, processions of stretcher-bearers were carrying the injured to the waiting ambulances. No one spared themselves. Football officials from both teams worked as hard as anyone, the disbelief at the enormity of what had happened evident on all their faces. As soon as ambulances were loaded they were heading for different hospitals. And then it was back for more stretchers, and seemingly unending stream of injured.

In all, eighteen ambulances worked a shuttle service between the stadium and the hospitals. The ambulances had a difficult task. The heavy traffic congestion that happens after every football fixture would have badly hampered their progress, but thanks to the expert police assistance they got through, with most of their patients being given oxygen therapy on the way.

Outside the ground, crowds of people, drawn by the news of the disaster on radio or television, stood silently, wondering if their loved ones were those in the ambulances – or worse – under one of those growing number of blankets on the ground inside. Once all the casualties were safely away, Robert Brown and I had the unenviable task of arranging for the transportation of the dead to the police mortuary.

The fatalities had been lined in rows inside, underneath the training tunnel, but when we tried to reverse our ambulances into the tunnel we realised that it was too low. The bodies would have to be brought out. With much reluctance we commandeered a groundsman’s two wheel trolley. The stretchers were loaded onto it and pushed through the tunnel to the ambulances. That is a sight that really shook me. The indignity of having to transport those bodies that way seemed just too much.

It took the best part of an hour to complete this heartbreaking task. By the end there was hardly a face that wasn’t streaked with tears.

When I checked in with ambulance control, it was to be told that Robert and I were to come to the Southern General hospital to arrange for the transportation of further bodies to the police mortuary. The Southern was a hive of activity when we arrived there. Glasgow Corporation had offered to supply private cars for the transportation of the not so badly injured to their homes after treatment, and this offer had been gratefully taken up. Ambulances, taxis and cars zoomed in and out constantly. The ambulance crews were totally exhausted.

Robert and I had only just arrived and and were talking with one of the crews when a taxi drew up and two men got out. They were supporting a third man, who was so shocked and white I thought at first he had been injured. One of the men came forward. ‘It’s his wee boy,’ he to indicated the third man who looked barely able to stand. ‘He went to the match, and didn’t come home. We’ve been to the stadium, the police sent us here. Said a few children had been taken to the hospital.’

The man suddenly started to cry. ‘Don’t tell me he’s deid. Please don’t tell me he’s deid’ One of the ambulance men went toward him. ‘I brought in a boy not long ago. What was your boy’s name?’

The man whispered his boy’s name in a sob. I think we all held our breath. We all prayed.

The ambulance man clapped a hand on his shoulder. ‘Aye, that’s him’ he said, ‘he’s a casualty. All he’s got is an injury to his ankle.’ The man suddenly threw his arms around him and hugged him. Tears of joy streaming down his face. ‘Aw thanks,’ he kept saying. ‘Aw God, thanks.’

He was one of the lucky ones. Others, unfortunately, had sad news awaiting them.

In their endeavours to save lives, 3,240 gallons of oxygen were used. It may be that no lives were saved that way, that’s something that we’ll never know, but we like to think that there’s somebody walking about out there today because of that oxygen.

Next day, Sunday, we were out again going round the various hospitals and the police mortuary to pick up our equipment. I was talking to a young policeman outside the mortuary when an old woman approached us.

‘Son,’ she said to me. ‘I’ve lived in that building for over forty years,’ and with a blue veined hand she indicated the tenement overlooking the mortuary. ‘I’ve seen ambulances come and go, but I’ve never seen anything like what I saw last night. A long line of ambulances stretching as far as my old eyes could see. Down there…’ She gazed along the road as if she could still see them now. ‘ I knew what was in those ambulances, and I just sat and cried. Do you know what I mean, son?’ Her watery blue eyes filled up with tears. ‘I just had to come out of the house to talk to somebody. Do you understand, son?’

‘Aye,’ I said. ‘I understand fine.’ She walked away, shaking her head and muttering. ‘It’s a terrible thing. A terrible thing.’

‘It’s funny, for everyone there’s something, just one thing, that makes tragedy sink in,’ the young policeman said. I knew what he meant. I was thinking of bringing those bodies out through the training tunnel. ‘Do you know what it was for me?’ he went on. ‘It was when I went into Govan police station, and there, lined up in pathetic wee bundles were all the personal belongings of the dead. That’s when it really hit me.’

All through that night the police were magnificent. They went to any lengths to help the public, and us. Whenever I hear people complaining about the police, I remember Ibrox, and their tireless efforts to help everyone. They do a hazardous job, to the best of their ability. It’s a pity they’re only appreciated when they’re needed.

lothiantrueblue
17-03-2010, 14:09
The mum of Peter Easton.

It would bring a tear to a glass eye.

She recalls a conversation about "should we / shouldn't we let him go see Rangers play Celtic"..........

Tragic

:(

eldersliebear1958
17-03-2010, 14:10
even now just reading this brings a lump to my throat and shivers down my spine.

RIP boys.

forsyth1972
17-03-2010, 15:30
Rest in peace the boys who did not come home.

will-a-rfc
17-03-2010, 16:13
This makes me all the more sick having heard celtic fans in donegal singing disgusting songs mocking the ibrox disaster!! SCUM!

clubdeckg
17-03-2010, 16:21
Lest we forget

RIP

mendes
17-03-2010, 16:56
So very sad..................

Steelbear
17-03-2010, 17:04
The mum of Peter Easton.

She recalls a conversation about "should we / shouldn't we let him go see Rangers play Celtic"..........

Tragic

Ive seen this video of Mrs Easton before but its as sad now as it ever was.
A lovely lady and a tragedy for all :(

Big Purple One
17-03-2010, 19:38
The mum of Peter Easton.

Tragic

I was ten years old, in the same Glenrothes supporter's club (I didn't know the boys TBH) and begged my dad to let me go to the "Celtic" game... but he would have none of it. I can still hear him losing his patience with me, “naw… yer no, auld enough to be going to a “Celtic” game! Jeezuz, my boy is ten now and I now understand how my dad he must’ve felt at the time.

Sorry, guys I‘m welling up here… memories of this gets me every time.

toofurrapound
17-03-2010, 20:03
My dad was at the funeral of 2 of the lads that died that fateful day....

Markinch is small town where everybody more or less know each other, there's no real sectarian problem in the east and he said everyone, from whatever background, mourned for their families for a long time.

It's so sad, but sadder still is the fans that sign songs about this, drudging up horrible memories

campsie
17-03-2010, 20:52
its about time us fifers got together and got that plaque cleaned restored etc. Took me years to actually find out where it was, i always thought it wouldve been in the square. I went to see it last for the first time last year. and i only stay 3 miles down the rd.

campsie
17-03-2010, 20:53
My dad was at the funeral of 2 of the lads that died that fateful day....

Markinch is small town where everybody more or less know each other, there's no real sectarian problem in the east and he said everyone, from whatever background, mourned for their families for a long time.

It's so sad, but sadder still is the fans that sign songs about this, drudging up horrible memories

the sheep that leave from glenrothes hate their fans singing that and i think a few have vented their anger, some of their membership are from markinch.

jerry318
17-03-2010, 21:04
its about time us fifers got together and got that plaque cleaned restored etc. Took me years to actually find out where it was, i always thought it wouldve been in the square. I went to see it last for the first time last year. and i only stay 3 miles down the rd.

Where in Markinch is the Plaque ?

campsie
17-03-2010, 21:12
Where in Markinch is the Plaque ?

its on the edge of the scheme. you need to turn in where the old bowans was then turn in to the houses, its at the end of the st. Sorry i dont know the name of it, if your coming from past the golf course so to speak turn right into the first set of houses then left, it sits there. Obv must be a reason for it being there as i said earlier i thought it wouldve been in the square.

be11y
17-03-2010, 21:15
Harrowing stuff

RIP

Mason Boyne
17-03-2010, 21:20
They were only a couple of years older than me. Every January I often wonder if they would have married , had kids of their own , done the sort of things I have.
What a terrible shame.
God Bless you lads.

demis-dado
17-03-2010, 21:22
I'm in peices after reading this thread.
Far too young to remember the disaster; I was 3 at the time; and can't begin to imagine how bad it was for the families of everyone affected by it.

Stairway 13 is indeed a real tough read but it's also a must read Bears.

Thoughts with the families of all those who never made it back that fateful January day.

Be at Peace

campsie
17-03-2010, 21:26
I'm in peices after reading this thread.
Far too young to remember the disaster; I was 3 at the time; and can't begin to imagine how bad it was for the families of everyone affected by it.

Stairway 13 is indeed a real tough read but it's also a must read Bears.

Thoughts with the families of all those who never made it back that fateful January day.

Be at Peace

i bought it the day it was released, my dad read it, he was at the game but knew nothing til he got back to the pub, i cant bring myself to read it, one day i hope.

opersson
17-03-2010, 21:28
A crying shame.

gourockblue50
17-03-2010, 21:38
Reading kevger1's post makes you realise how tragic the disaster was. Remembering and reading about those who died is traumatic enough but when you read about he amount of suffering due to serious crush injuries that were also suffered on that day it brings it all home.

God rest those who lost their lives due to this tragic disaster.

Dalriadager
17-03-2010, 21:47
That is some of the hardest reading i have seen, my eyes literally filled.

Never forgotton

RIP

kevger1
17-03-2010, 21:55
its on the edge of the scheme. you need to turn in where the old bowans was then turn in to the houses, its at the end of the st. Sorry i dont know the name of it, if your coming from past the golf course so to speak turn right into the first set of houses then left, it sits there. Obv must be a reason for it being there as i said earlier i thought it wouldve been in the square.

Campsie.

The reason for its location is that it is at the top of the street where the lads all lived i think.

It would not cost a great deal to pay for restoration to the memorial I would not think.

campsie
17-03-2010, 22:01
Campsie.

The reason for its location is that it is at the top of the street where the lads all lived i think.

It would not cost a great deal to pay for restoration to the memorial I would not think.

you any idea who i should speak to, ill get it done but dont want to upset anyone, as said its quite embarrasinmhavin stayed in fife most of my life it took me til last year to find it

milky-bear
17-03-2010, 22:10
Here's to Absent Friends!

kevger1
17-03-2010, 22:16
you any idea who i should speak to, ill get it done but dont want to upset anyone, as said its quite embarrasinmhavin stayed in fife most of my life it took me til last year to find it

Sent you a PM.

campsie
18-03-2010, 14:18
i e mailed the glenrothes gazette about our plans and asked if shane fenton could get in touch and help reach the families of the kids to make sure they are ok with restoring it and getting bricks etc. Their editor phoned back within an hour or so and wants to run a story next week highlighting it. i said i wasnt sure as i wanted to talk with shane and get family approval before doing anything. The guy from the gazette didnt even know the memorial exists which is sadly all too common. last year was first of me seeing it. So if the least that happens is people are made aware of the memorial then thats a good thing also. i also told the guy its a rangers supporters thing and not any individual doing it.
kevger1 made a suggestion of us buying bricks for the 66 as well as restoring the memorial in Markinch, ive already had pm's supporting this so hopefully we can make it happen. Im hoping to get permission from the markinch families to make sure its ok, not too sure what is required re the other 61 who may or may not have bricks in their name. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Some families might not want bricks? Its a personal thing hence the need for help and suggestions. Ive text an pm'd delmonte for some advice also.

exiled_bear
18-03-2010, 16:23
They will always be in our hearts. RIP brother bears.

jocky
18-03-2010, 18:10
Campsie.

Although Ive been away from Markinch for many years I know Shane very well as I did all the boys who died. If I can help in any way will be pleased to do so

aldo30
18-03-2010, 18:34
In total tears reading this thread. People may say "big poof" for it but thats me.

No way i could read Stairway 13.

R.I.P all lost on that fateful day.

Pedro's Hairband
18-03-2010, 18:54
all from the same street im lead to believe, My gran has some sort of family connections with one of the boys, I think she might be cousins with one of the boys mum.

RIP

campsie
18-03-2010, 19:20
In total tears reading this thread. People may say "big poof" for it but thats me.
No way i could read Stairway 13.

R.I.P all lost on that fateful day.

very few of us can read a thread about the disaster without crying and thats because it means so much to each and every one of us, thats why the 66 should never and will never be forgotton. Heres hoping we can get each and everyone of them a brick. Doesnt sound much but hopefully it lets the families know the supporters will never forget them.

smithyblue1873
18-03-2010, 19:36
Gone But Never Forgotten.
RIP.

WeeBudsBud
18-03-2010, 20:50
Reading this reminds me of another 'good' Markinch boy, tragically taken early.

His name was Nicol Morrow and was killed in a car crash in Portrush or Limavaddy around 1977 or 78 I think. About 18 years old maybe.

He was over as a guest of the William King band in 'Derry and he was a gem of a guy. He stood for everything a Rangers man of that era believed in and was one of the best.

Humblest apologies for digressing but there is a Markinch connection there.

Rest in peace Nicol.

DALRSC
18-03-2010, 20:54
Such a young age

Does anyone have the absent friends pic of the banner?

campsie
18-03-2010, 21:14
Reading this reminds me of another 'good' Markinch boy, tragically taken early.

His name was Nicol Morrow and was killed in a car crash in Portrush or Limavaddy around 1977 or 78 I think. About 18 years old maybe.

He was over as a guest of the William King band in 'Derry and he was a gem of a guy. He stood for everything a Rangers man of that era believed in and was one of the best.

Humblest apologies for digressing but there is a Markinch connection there.

Rest in peace Nicol.

I remember going to nicol's mum to get permission to use his name on a trophy for a flute band competition. First time i'd ever met her, she said my sons were good, one a minister, one in the RAF and nicol was a terrorist:D, i never met Nicol but his friends from Glenrothes and leslie will never forget him.

WeeBudsBud
18-03-2010, 21:40
I remember going to nicol's mum to get permission to use his name on a trophy for a flute band competition. First time i'd ever met her, she said my sons were good, one a minister, one in the RAF and nicol was a terrorist:D, i never met Nicol but his friends from Glenrothes and leslie will never forget him.

Haha....she wasn`t far wrong there :eek: Was over for the UWC strikes and everything. His best mate T.M. (no names) got sent down for gun-running and I think he have the Rangers up after that.

Jeez, I`d forgotten his brother was a man of the cloth.

Funny thing was, I was meant to over with him but didn`t get time of work. Things would have been different.

MAC THE MOD
18-03-2010, 21:51
Very touching threads and makes me realise how lucky i am.
My 3 boys have started going to the games, and you would never expect your boys never to return home.
Please pm me if we need money to restore the tribute, as it is a great cause.
I also think it would be a great idea to have a brick wall for all our lost.
R.I.P. boys, you will never be forgotten.

sam_cooke
18-03-2010, 21:51
A news report on the deaths of the five kids that perished :(

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrStruth?feature=mhw4#p/u/31/kLrCT0wowHU

campsie
18-03-2010, 21:54
Haha....she wasn`t far wrong there :eek: Was over for the UWC strikes and everything. His best mate T.M. (no names) got sent down for gun-running and I think he have the Rangers up after that.

Jeez, I`d forgotten his brother was a man of the cloth.

Funny thing was, I was meant to over with him but didn`t get time of work. Things would have been different.

Cant remember what band won his trophy, may have been east kilbride, wouldve been black skull by a mile but when they turned up the competition was over:eek:, still they played superb when they did arrive. T.M was used but he never dropped anyone in it.

campsie
18-03-2010, 21:58

some find sir.

sam_cooke
18-03-2010, 22:03
some find sir.

To be honest, I regularly have to delete all sorts of bile on the comments section from that video, The song though which was number one around this time seems to set the tone for the tragic event that took place that terrible day :(

highlandloyal
18-03-2010, 22:13
RIP in peace all of those lost on that awful day

MAC THE MOD
18-03-2010, 22:24
Just watched the u tube for the 1st time and it broke me down.
God Bless.

Ger65
18-03-2010, 23:08
Cant remember what band won his trophy, may have been east kilbride, wouldve been black skull by a mile but when they turned up the competition was over:eek:, still they played superb when they did arrive. T.M was used but he never dropped anyone in it.

YLV Flute band from Buckhind won it.............

campsie
18-03-2010, 23:20
YLV Flute band from Buckhind won it.............

how could i forget that:eek: Appologies. No wonder i couldnt understand why it was east kilbride:p

62JOHN624
19-03-2010, 00:24
As somene who was there and lost someone very dear, every day in life something reminds me of that day, I am getting on in years and each time I read something about it I cry, I feel so sorry for those young boys as I do for the whole sixty six, but to have come from the one street is so so sad. I feel for their parents as much now as I did then, and to hear opposition fans mock the sxty six is dreadful. RIP BOYS.

kevger1
19-03-2010, 05:38

The full news report is on this link sam

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/scotlandonfilm/media_clips/clip_display.shtml?topic=leisure&subtopic=sport&clip_name=ibrox_stadium_disaster_v&media_type=video&popup=yes

britain
19-03-2010, 06:30
Lest we forget.

DavyMcK
19-03-2010, 07:35
I was only 2 at the time of the disaster but knew of it from an early age. Reading Stairway 13 was really difficult. Every time i leave the club deck i walk past the memorial and its hard not to think about it. We were at my girlfriends grandfathers funeral in Falkirk a few months back when i noticed that 2 graves along from her other grandparents stone was the grave of Margaret Ferguson, the only girl to die that day, with a memorial from her Supporters Club along side it. It was a very strange mix of emotions when i saw that.

esemsea
19-03-2010, 08:02
Mrs Easton everybody's mum.Now we are all a bit older just think what our parents went through waiting for info in the pre mobile phone days.I was 20 at the time but never used 13.The look of relief when coming in the door about 8 that night puts it all into perspective now with 2 boys of my own.

mendes
19-03-2010, 08:28
from the recent football years show.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/155492-a-personal-account-of-the-ibrox-stairway-13-disaster-of-1971/

arminger
19-03-2010, 09:12
To this day I don't know how I survived as I came down that stairway, or should I say floated down that stairway on body momentum moments before it happened but knew nothing about it till later. I was only 15 and reading the ages of the Markinch lads had me in tears. RIP

sandbear
19-03-2010, 09:24
To this day I don't know how I survived as I came down that stairway, or should I say floated down that stairway on body momentum moments before it happened but knew nothing about it till later. I was only 15 and reading the ages of the Markinch lads had me in tears. RIP

My Dad came down that stair as well he was a big man 15 stone and he said he never touched any steps. Normally he stood with his friends halfway down the terrace but when they got in it was so busy they stayed near the top he said till his dying day thats what saved him and his friends.

jicre
19-03-2010, 09:32
i was lucky, i made it home that awful day, i will have a personal moment every january 2nd as long as i live

RIP

Same as that Bud. Never to be forgotten.

dave84
19-03-2010, 10:31
R.I.P lads

dellinwa
19-03-2010, 10:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39SxG0F3Fy8

that was so hard to watch. my hart go's out to all the mums.
R I P boys

campsie
19-03-2010, 20:36
The wee fat mascot has been onto Rangers to see if they aprove of us buying bricks not only for the 66 but for the others who died in the 2 other disasters in 1902 where 25 died and also in 1961 where 2 lost their lives. Hopefully Rangers get back in touch soon and delmonte can update us, where we can then sort out a way of raising the cash. Still plan on restoring the Markinch plaque and kevger1 has suggested even putting 5 trees down for the markinch 5 provided it doesnt cause offence with the community in Markinch.

mendes
19-03-2010, 20:50
The wee fat mascot has been onto Rangers to see if they aprove of us buying bricks not only for the 66 but for the others who died in the 2 other disasters in 1902 where 25 died and also in 1961 where 2 lost their lives. Hopefully Rangers get back in touch soon and delmonte can update us, where we can then sort out a way of raising the cash. Still plan on restoring the Markinch plaque and kevger1 has suggested even putting 5 trees down for the markinch 5 provided it doesnt cause offence with the community in Markinch.

sounds a plan, have you thouight of contacting a local newspaper or local MP/MSP to get them involved with your plan.

campsie
19-03-2010, 21:14
sounds a plan, have you thouight of contacting a local newspaper or local MP/MSP to get them involved with your plan.

yea, had to phone them today not to run the story next week because i wanted our plans sorted first plus also wanted permission from the families or community of Markinch. havent spoke to local mp's but will once everything is ok.

mendes
19-03-2010, 21:25
yea, had to phone them today not to run the story next week because i wanted our plans sorted first plus also wanted permission from the families or community of Markinch. havent spoke to local mp's but will once everything is ok.

Very well done to you for the effort you are putting in...

campsie
19-03-2010, 21:31
Very well done to you for the effort you are putting in...

we are all makin the effort mate, great ideas from kevger1 jocky and some others not to mention delmonte the wee fat mascot, plus everyone on this thread plays a part. Once it gets the go ahead the world wide rangers supporters will have the input, ive got the easy part.

mendes
19-03-2010, 21:34
we are all makin the effort mate, great ideas from kevger1 jocky and some others not to mention delmonte the wee fat mascot, plus everyone on this thread plays a part. Once it gets the go ahead the world wide rangers supporters will have the input, ive got the easy part.

ok well done to everyone involved.

Main Stand Blue
19-03-2010, 21:57
RIP Boys

Stairway 13 is an incredible book, so difficult to read,

Well done to the guys sorting the memorial, would love to contribute if something can get set up.

oranjeboy
19-03-2010, 22:28
was watching the football years again today from 71-72 and i heard willie johnston said the lads were from his area, was quite gut wrenching stuff :(

next year is the 40th anniversary of the ibrox disaster

we shall never forget :(

Drumchapel_Loyal
19-03-2010, 22:34
I don't think I could bring myself to watch any of those programmes after reading post # 14

RIP :(

campsie
19-03-2010, 22:44
I don't think I could bring myself to watch any of those programmes after reading post # 14

RIP :(

i really want to read the book but havent. Because of what we are doing, i feel i have to read it so i know the facts, but really not looking forward to it. Most of us forget the other 2 disasters, i know i tend to, none of these guys should ever be forgotton.

mendes
20-03-2010, 01:34
i really want to read the book but havent. Because of what we are doing, i feel i have to read it so i know the facts, but really not looking forward to it. Most of us forget the other 2 disasters, i know i tend to, none of these guys should ever be forgotton.

i agree. :(

williamstown
20-03-2010, 04:56
I admire what you are all doing in the memory of the young guys who tragically died together that day from Markinch,a guy from my street at the time died, the brother of one of my mates and I still remember how his family was devastated as were everybody in Strutherhill Larkhall,I only found out by the use of internet that another from Larkhall also died about 10 years ago,half this Rangers daft town probably dont even know about them due to time,its up to us to remind them all up and down the country about our absent friends who went to a game and didnt come home.

manfromdelmonte
22-03-2010, 18:07
i have spoken with the club and i have put the ideas\plans to them. One worry was that it was seen to be taking away the tribute we already have so it was agreed any new "fan" tribute would be by named bricks in the same area so it compliments the current tribute. Things still need to be agreed as any change to the stadium needs the club to carefully consider before making a decsion.
I believe the club will back this or a similar tribute when they next meet.

On the fundraising note i would like to run a race night and attemt to raise all funds on one night ,i would get everything booked for FREE and i know The Rangers support will back any idea we do. The club would also help us with prizes etc but they understand we want to raise the moeny and pay the tribute on our own.

sie

mendes
22-03-2010, 18:13
i have spoken with the club and i have put the ideas\plans to them. One worry was that it was seen to be taking away the tribute we already have so it was agreed any new "fan" tribute would be by named bricks in the same area so it compliments the current tribute. Things still need to be agreed as any change to the stadium needs the club to carefully consider before making a decsion.

On the fundraising note i would like to run a race night and attemt to raise all funds on one night ,i would get everything booked for FREE and i know The Rangers support will back any idea we do. The club would also help us with prizes etc but they understand we want to raise the moeny and pay the tribute on our own.

sie

very well done to all concerned with this fantastic effort. i think even going to Ibrox on a match day with buckets collecting or something with the rising stars might help raise funds needed...cap doffed for the effort..

kevger1
22-03-2010, 18:15

sie

It is encouraging to hear that the club appear to be working in harmony with the supporters on this one and it is also good that they look like they are going to rubber stamp a tribute FROM the Supporters TO the Supporters.

I would like to personally thank you for your tireless work behind the scenes on this one.

manfromdelmonte
22-03-2010, 18:19
cheers mate i am only helping out though yourself and campsie got this running i am just happy to help remember our fellow fans.

campsie
30-03-2010, 09:26
for some reason shane fenton hasnt got back in touch, i can only assume he hasnt recieved my message. I've got an appointment with tricia marwick the msp for markinch on thursday at 9am, i spoke to her sec today and he was very helpfull and enthusiastic, didnt seem from a political view either just from a normal point of view so sounds encouraging, any questions or tgings i need ask just let me know. Ill not be back on til tonight as off to work. looks like this is a goer from the supporters and the club, and delmonte we are only agreein to you running a race night if you promise not to tell jokes, we'd rather pay someone than listen to them:p cheers again to everyone who has had an input and to those who have our absent friends still in their hearts.

kevger1
30-03-2010, 09:31
for some reason shane fenton hasnt got back in touch, i can only assume he hasnt recieved my message. I've got an appointment with tricia marwick the msp for markinch on thursday at 9am, i spoke to her sec today and he was very helpfull and enthusiastic, didnt seem from a political view either just from a normal point of view so sounds encouraging, any questions or tgings i need ask just let me know. Ill not be back on til tonight as off to work. looks like this is a goer from the supporters and the club, and delmonte we are only agreein to you running a race night if you promise not to tell jokes, we'd rather pay someone than listen to them:p cheers again to everyone who has had an input and to those who have our absent friends still in their hearts.

The meeting with the MSP is a good thing and hopefully something positive comes from it.

Keep us informed and well done on your efforts so far.

loyaltrebler
30-03-2010, 09:41
Well done indeed people
Im sure when the race night and whatever else you may arrange will be supported by one and all

mendes
30-03-2010, 09:58
for some reason shane fenton hasnt got back in touch, i can only assume he hasnt recieved my message. I've got an appointment with tricia marwick the msp for markinch on thursday at 9am, i spoke to her sec today and he was very helpfull and enthusiastic, didnt seem from a political view either just from a normal point of view so sounds encouraging, any questions or tgings . I need ask just let me know. I'll not be back on til tonight as off to work. looks like this is a goer from the supporters and the club, and delmonte we are only agreein to you running a race night if you promise not to tell jokes, we'd rather pay someone than listen to them:p

cheers again to everyone who has had an input and to those who have our absent friends still in their hearts.

good luck with the MSP appointment and well done for your effort so far.

GirvanLighthouse
30-03-2010, 11:19
.... edited post

George Agdgdgwngo
30-03-2010, 11:39
Absent friends, they will always be remembered!

RIP

Jelle1880
30-03-2010, 14:29
Heartbreaking stuff.
I would like to read Stairway 13 though.

mendes
31-03-2010, 16:34
wee bump for this

campsie
31-03-2010, 19:56
just spoke to delmonte, it seems rangers dont want anything to do with any tribute we have for the 40th anniversary of the disaster. Even buying bricks with the names of those who never returned home they feel is inappropriate as there is a memorial there. Im carrying on regardless with the markinch one, as in restoring the memorial in post one or even getting a new one made. ont know which option til i speak to the locals. Ive even spoke to a minister who was at the game and preaches in a church 5 minutes from markinch and if needed would do a wee service. As said earlier meeting msp tommorrow, so its a start as far as markinch goes, as for the others i dont know where we go from here without getting into a debate which would really tarnish the memory rather than enhance it. Maybe we are wrong to do a tribute and rangers are right, but i dont think so.

manfromdelmonte
31-03-2010, 20:26
i will speak to a mate and fellow blue nose thats a stone mason on advice and i feel right now we focus on the current memorial in fife, we have enough time on our hands.

md1873
31-03-2010, 20:27
Respect

RIP

mendes
31-03-2010, 20:36
just spoke to delmonte, it seems rangers dont want anything to do with any tribute we have for the 40th anniversary of the disaster. Even buying bricks with the names of those who never returned home they feel is inappropriate as there is a memorial there. Im carrying on regardless with the markinch one, as in restoring the memorial in post one or even getting a new one made. ont know which option til i speak to the locals. Ive even spoke to a minister who was at the game and preaches in a church 5 minutes from markinch and if needed would do a wee service. As said earlier meeting msp tommorrow, so its a start as far as markinch goes, as for the others i dont know where we go from here without getting into a debate which would really tarnish the memory rather than enhance it. Maybe we are wrong to do a tribute and rangers are right, but i dont think so.

as long as the families are all right with a tribute then i dont think it can ever be wrong to remember those that lost their lifes that day.

campsie
31-03-2010, 20:50
as long as the families are all right with a tribute then i dont think it can ever be wrong to remember those that lost their lifes that day.

try telling that to rangers.

diablo
31-03-2010, 22:19
God bless them all, will never be forgotten.

kevger1
31-03-2010, 23:01

If we have the cash and want to purchase a brick for every victim then who the Hell are Rangers FC to tell us what names we can or cannot put on the bricks!

We always hear when it suits THEM about the " Rangers Family" well as far as I am concerned there were members of OUR family that did not return home on these fateful days.

Rangers FC were not the quickest at puting up the small memorial in the first place! Their attitude does not surprise me in the slightest.

If it was the same senario on the other side of the city they would have welcomed the idea with open arms and even made a big thing about it.

Hang your heads in shame Rangers FC.

WE WILL Remember them!

mendes
01-04-2010, 09:54
If we have the cash and want to purchase a brick for every victim then who the Hell are Rangers FC to tell us what names we can or cannot put on the bricks!

We always hear when it suits THEM about the " Rangers Family" well as far as I am concerned there were members of OUR family that did not return home on these fateful days.

Rangers FC were not the quickest at puting up the small memorial in the first place! Their attitude does not surprise me in the slightest.

If it was the same senario on the other side of the city they would have welcomed the idea with open arms and even made a big thing about it.

Hang your heads in shame Rangers FC.

WE WILL Remember them!

well said kev!!

Jelle1880
01-04-2010, 10:09
Absolutely disgraceful!

campsie
01-04-2010, 20:18
spoke with the msp for markinch today and she was very enthusiastic, she even suggested a site for a new memorial which is the local park where the kids play football as do amateur sides, its also a play park type thing as well. i told her it was a non political thing and shes agreed with that. She was very humble talking about it and at one point was close to tears. Shes a fifer and still recalls the day it happened and said it was the fact they were all friends that sent the shock waves thru fife as much as the disaster itself. She is going to me the names of the markinch community council so i can speak with them. A couple of posters on here have given me names of guys who can also help guage the feeling of the community. i think its a goer re the markinch kids, which hopefully can lead a full scale one. There is no point getting into arguements with the club, it wont do either side anygood, and it certainly wont do anygood for the memory of those no longer with us. I understand why it can become heated, but, this is a supporters tribute and for that we do not need the clubs involvement. when the time is right we will be setting up a donation site. Its been suggested with all donations that sometimes the target figure is succeded and people wonder where the rest of the money goes. So far i think we need a new memorial tribute, possibly decorated in a flower bed type thing, and as suggested the planting of 5 trees with each name tagged for the boys, also the cleaning of the original memorial plus the bricks at ibrox. Thats the kind of thing we are looking at and to go back to my point of raising too much cash, then, what about rachel house which is run by chas benefiting from any left over cash. That way everyone is in no doubt whats happening with any money raised. these are just suggestions, feel free to criticise and or offer advice, im new to all this.

Leftfield
01-04-2010, 20:30
I read both those pieces and had tears in my eyes, I just can't come to terms with the emotions of it really. Like others have said I was too young too remember and im English as well so even further afield from Ibrox than most.

Its heartbreaking though and RIP to everyone who passed and the police, ambulance men and those who helped that night are heroes. Great articles and fair play to both guys who wrote them.

Can't believe it reading that.

campsie
01-04-2010, 20:38
I read both those pieces and had tears in my eyes, I just can't come to terms with the emotions of it really. Like others have said I was too young too remember and im English as well so even further afield from Ibrox than most.

Its heartbreaking though and RIP to everyone who passed and the police, ambulance men and those who helped that night are heroes. Great articles and fair play to both guys who wrote them.

Can't believe it reading that.

anyone who can read them and not well up isnt human. but some of these articles are helpfull, just ask colin stein who for years thought it was his goal that caused the crush.

mendes
01-04-2010, 20:45
Spoke with the msp for markinch today and she was very enthusiastic, she even suggested a site for a new memorial which is the local park where the kids play football as do amateur sides, its also a play park type thing as well. i told her it was a non political thing and shes agreed with that. She was very humble talking about it and at one point was close to tears.

Shes a fifer and still recalls the day it happened and said it was the fact they were all friends that sent the shock waves thru fife as much as the disaster itself. She is going to me the names of the markinch community council so i can speak with them. A couple of posters on here have given me names of guys who can also help guage the feeling of the community. i think its a goer re the markinch kids, which hopefully can lead a full scale one.

There is no point getting into arguements with the club, it wont do either side anygood, and it certainly wont do anygood for the memory of those no longer with us. I understand why it can become heated, but, this is a supporters tribute and for that we do not need the clubs involvement. when the time is right we will be setting up a donation site. Its been suggested with all donations that sometimes the target figure is succeded and people wonder where the rest of the money goes.

So far i think we need a new memorial tribute, possibly decorated in a flower bed type thing, and as suggested the planting of 5 trees with each name tagged for the boys, also the cleaning of the original memorial plus the bricks at ibrox. Thats the kind of thing we are looking at and to go back to my point of raising too much cash, then, what about rachel house which is run by chas benefiting from any left over cash. That way everyone is in no doubt whats happening with any money raised. these are just suggestions, feel free to criticise and or offer advice, im new to all this.

If there was going to be a new memorial in a park where the local kids play football as well as junior sides then, this is just an idea ,but, if there was cash left over then what if a trophy was bought and local kids sides played in an football annual tourney organised by the council in memory of the Markinch lads.

campsie
01-04-2010, 20:51
If there was going to be a new memorial in a park where the local kids play football as well as junior sides then, this is just an idea ,but, if there was cash left over then what if a trophy was bought and local kids sides played in an football annual tourney organised by the council in memory of the Markinch lads.

kirkieger i think said on an earlier post he played in such a tournament in 1972, the msp asked me if it still took place, i didnt know, worth looking into and also another way of keeping the memory in everyones minds locally.

rosstheger
01-04-2010, 20:54
Went to football and never came home.

Just puts it all into perspective.

Horrific. :( They will always be remembered.

mendes
01-04-2010, 20:58
kirkieger i think said on an earlier post he played in such a tournament in 1972, the msp asked me if it still took place, i didnt know, worth looking into and also another way of keeping the memory in everyones minds locally.

thats what i was thinking of mate. i thought it would be a way locally of keeping their memory alive.

broxmeister
01-04-2010, 21:07
I was there that day and I will never forget what I saw. Also although I never actually knew anyone who died they will always be in my heart and thoughts. God bless and RIP

cuparbear
01-04-2010, 21:14
happen to be working in markinch at the moment and after reading about the memorial i went to see it today for the first time , didnt even know it was there,very humbling experience you,re doing a great job campsie keep up the good work

campsie
01-04-2010, 21:20
happen to be working in markinch at the moment and after reading about the memorial i went to see it today for the first time , didnt even know it was there,very humbling experience you,re doing a great job campsie keep up the good work

not me mate, im bein bossed about by a couple o dafties;) and getting advice from another couple of posters. When we get the go ahead it will be like everything else it will be the worldwide bears doing it. Are you also of the opinion it needs restored. I also was there today, the surrounding are tidy and nice but the memorial itself needs restored i think. Its hidden thats why most dont see it, but after reading posts on here ive realised its there because 4 of the boys lived in that street.

cuparbear
01-04-2010, 21:41
didnt think it was to bad tbh and the gardens were well tended round about it,neat and tidy ,just thought it was very moving,although could maybe do with a wee clean up

Pedro's Hairband
01-04-2010, 21:52
I can see where Rangers are coming from here guys regarding the Bricks as there is a lasting memorial already at the Stadium that the Club erected.

I think refurbishing the little memorial stone in Markinch would be a teriffic effort though and i fully back this idea and i will give some monies towards this when its needed.

kevger1
01-04-2010, 22:42
not me mate, im bein bossed about by a couple o dafties;) and getting advice from another couple of posters. When we get the go ahead it will be like everything else it will be the worldwide bears doing it. Are you also of the opinion it needs restored. I also was there today, the surrounding are tidy and nice but the memorial itself needs restored i think. Its hidden thats why most dont see it, but after reading posts on here ive realised its there because 4 of the boys lived in that street.

Regarding the original memorial plaque that is in Markinch , I would suggest that it should be raised onto a marble plinth of say perhaps 3 feet with the names of the lads on the plinth part and it would make the actual original memorial tribute more noticeable.

Thoughts?

soblue2001
02-04-2010, 01:13
spoke with the msp for markinch today and she was very enthusiastic, she even suggested a site for a new memorial which is the local park where the kids play football as do amateur sides, its also a play park type thing as well. i told her it was a non political thing and shes agreed with that. She was very humble talking about it and at one point was close to tears. Shes a fifer and still recalls the day it happened and said it was the fact they were all friends that sent the shock waves thru fife as much as the disaster itself. She is going to me the names of the markinch community council so i can speak with them. A couple of posters on here have given me names of guys who can also help guage the feeling of the community. i think its a goer re the markinch kids, which hopefully can lead a full scale one. There is no point getting into arguements with the club, it wont do either side anygood, and it certainly wont do anygood for the memory of those no longer with us. I understand why it can become heated, but, this is a supporters tribute and for that we do not need the clubs involvement. when the time is right we will be setting up a donation site. Its been suggested with all donations that sometimes the target figure is succeded and people wonder where the rest of the money goes. So far i think we need a new memorial tribute, possibly decorated in a flower bed type thing, and as suggested the planting of 5 trees with each name tagged for the boys, also the cleaning of the original memorial plus the bricks at ibrox. Thats the kind of thing we are looking at and to go back to my point of raising too much cash, then, what about rachel house which is run by chas benefiting from any left over cash. That way everyone is in no doubt whats happening with any money raised. these are just suggestions, feel free to criticise and or offer advice, im new to all this.

Well, you're doing a great job. I'll be in for a donation when the time comes.

Good luck to getting it done.

campsie
02-04-2010, 09:38
Regarding the original memorial plaque that is in Markinch , I would suggest that it should be raised onto a marble plinth of say perhaps 3 feet with the names of the lads on the plinth part and it would make the actual original memorial tribute more noticeable.

Thoughts?

i agree that its the lettering that needs fixed, dont think it would be right to change anything on it tho cept for restoring it, it was put there by the people who knew the boys and i dont feel we have any right to alter it. Think the new one we are putting in the park could be set out that way tho?

kevger1
02-04-2010, 11:38
i agree that its the lettering that needs fixed, dont think it would be right to change anything on it tho cept for restoring it, it was put there by the people who knew the boys and i dont feel we have any right to alter it. Think the new one we are putting in the park could be set out that way tho?

In effect , we would not be altering the original memorial, just making it more noticeable.

Pedro's Hairband
02-04-2010, 17:09

Thoughts?

yip thats a good idea but again you would need to consult the family's of the boys, you might also need to get Planning permission from the council to this aswell, so it would be best to seek advice on that maybe the local mp can shed some light.

also to raise money for this it might be a good idea to ask the local shops/pub/hotels in the area if they would do a collection.

mendes
02-04-2010, 18:58
yip thats a good idea but again you would need to consult the family's of the boys, you might also need to get Planning permission from the council to this aswell, so it would be best to seek advice on that maybe the local mp can shed some light.

also to raise money for this it might be a good idea to ask the local shops/pub/hotels in the area if they would do a collection.

or you could maybe get a local free newspaper involved and ask them to raise cash :confused:

campsie
02-04-2010, 20:04
[/B]

or you could maybe get a local free newspaper involved and ask them to raise cash :confused:

its not like we need to raise thousands, heres hoping its raised by rangers supporters in memory of rangers supporters, just a thought:p

mendes
02-04-2010, 20:34
its not like we need to raise thousands, heres hoping its raised by rangers supporters in memory of rangers supporters, just a thought:p

ohhhhhhhh it was just a thought.

campsie
03-04-2010, 12:00
ohhhhhhhh it was just a thought.

wasnt having a go mate, trying to get the people of markinch to talk is a nightmare, im confident we will get the go ahead, but dont fancy then asking them to contribute:D, seriously ive asked for shane fenton to contact me on numerous occasions and failed. The gazette are keen on running the story and holding them up isnt easy. If tricia marwick doesnt get on any better then ill just have to talk to some elder residents in the community for advice. At the minute im doing everything by the book. So here is hoping.

ive just phoned the minister and he gave me the name of the former minister and ive just had an incredible chat with him, amazing actually.
The families bought the memorial themselves.
A bible study group from England donated a bible in the 5 boys memory and it sits on a plinth inside the church grounds.
The first sunday of the new year a special prayer is said for the 5 boys and their families.
Mrs Easton is still alive altho mr passed away a couple of years ago.
Mrs Todd is still in markinch
Morrison family have moved away
Philips family have moved away.
no info as yet on Martin Paton family altho ive noticed shane fenton refers to him as Ron as does a poster on here who also knew him.

sorry for going on but the conversation gripped me, the ex minister is called Ian Gordon and the stories he told me of Markinch were superb and the changes like most villages i guess are incredible. He thinks cleaning and restoring the memorial would be suffice and wouldnt offend. So its still a learning curve but have another couple of names i can get in touch with. Thanks again to all who have helped and are helping.

WeeBudsBud
03-04-2010, 20:08
Campsie.........who`s Shane Fenton again? I know that name.

And NO......it`s not Alvin Stardust either :D

campsie
03-04-2010, 20:13
Campsie.........who`s Shane Fenton again? I know that name.

And NO......it`s not Alvin Stardust either :D

do you just read part threads, its on page 1:p
he writes the sports section in the glenrothes gazette. celtc fan but was with the boys that morning.

Bluebells Bar, Puerto Del Carmen
03-04-2010, 20:15
Hope you boys are Resting In Peace.

WeeBudsBud
03-04-2010, 20:22
do you just read part threads, its on page 1:p
he writes the sports section in the glenrothes gazette. celtc fan but was with the boys that morning.

Fook me....that was 17 days ago. I `ve read a lot of pages on here since then :D

I`d imagine he`d be about the same age as me then. Know him from somewhere I`m sure.

Probably booted him out of Kdy in 73 or 74 :eek:

Or he hunted me out of Glenrothes more like :D

campsie
03-04-2010, 20:29
Fook me....that was 17 days ago. I `ve read a lot of pages on here since then :D

I`d imagine he`d be about the same age as me then. Know him from somewhere I`m sure.

Probably booted him out of Kdy in 73 or 74 :eek:

Or he hunted me out of Glenrothes more like :D

hes been in markinch all his days, a windae cleaner now, used to run teams from markinch, think hes still involved tho not sure if its kids or amatuers. Guessin hes 53ish just going by the boys age when they died.

jerry318
03-04-2010, 20:32
He is involved with Star Hearts Amatuers now and has been for a few years

WeeBudsBud
03-04-2010, 20:37
Aye, could be with Star. My brother played for them years ago.

balfarg
03-04-2010, 20:38
Am pretty sure shane fenton is still involved with amatuer teams locally as well as his glenrothes gazzette piece

WeeBudsBud
03-04-2010, 20:40
Am pretty sure shane fenton is still involved with amatuer teams locally as well as his glenrothes gazzette piece

Keep up lad :D Is one still feeling a bit under-par?

Anyway......apologies for hi-jacking the thread.

campsie
03-04-2010, 20:42
He is involved with Star Hearts Amatuers now and has been for a few years

do you know him mate? Cos if you do i really need to talk to him, like yesterday.

campsie
03-04-2010, 20:44
Keep up lad :D Is one still feeling a bit under-par?

Anyway......apologies for hi-jacking the thread.

no worries the more it stays on top the better we have of getting the info we require, as in will the community be happy or will it upset them if we repair and or buy a new memorial, so hi jack away keep it up top:p

jerry318
03-04-2010, 20:45
do you know him mate? Cos if you do i really need to talk to him, like yesterday.

Yes I know him, pm me your mobile number and I will get him to call you

campsie
03-04-2010, 20:48
Yes I know him, pm me your mobile number and I will get him to call you

pm sent. And thanks.

balfarg
03-04-2010, 20:51
campsie-im going up the burns in a wee while, i might know someone who knows Mr Fenton so ill ask

wbb- feeling better but im away out for another swally :D i will keep our date for the morn tho ;)

jerry318
03-04-2010, 22:26
Campsie, Shane will be in contact with you tomorrow mate

PM sent

kevger1
03-04-2010, 22:41
Campsie, Shane will be in contact with you tomorrow mate

PM sent

This could be a very good link to put a lot of other pieces together.

Well done.

jerry318
03-04-2010, 22:42
Here is Shanes view on this

Hi Jerry
The Gazette just gave me the number on Friday, no i am well involved in the idea i have spoken to the brother of one of the boys he's all for it, unfortunately only two of the families stay in Markinch now so it may be a bit of a problem contacting them all, i personally know all the families and i dont think they would have any objections.
I was hopimg that the Markinch Common Good Fund could help finance a new memorial, i am hoping we can get one with all the boys names on it, the one that is there at present is getting a bit dilapilated.

Tell Jim i will get in touch with him on Sunday

campsie
03-04-2010, 22:46
This could be a very good link to put a lot of other pieces together.

Well done.

Almost sorted mate, looks like a goer, jerry has just become a legend:D

jerry318
03-04-2010, 22:50
No worries Campsie im just a small cog in a big wheel

Will keep an eye on this thread and if you need anymore help I will try my best

kevger1
03-04-2010, 22:56
Almost sorted mate, looks like a goer, jerry has just become a legend:D

Vital part of the jig saw though

Je- reee Je- reeee!

mendes
03-04-2010, 23:00
Here is Shanes view on this

Hi Jerry
The Gazette just gave me the number on Friday, no i am well involved in the idea i have spoken to the brother of one of the boys he's all for it, unfortunately only two of the families stay in Markinch now so it may be a bit of a problem contacting them all, i personally know all the families and i dont think they would have any objections.
I was hopimg that the Markinch Common Good Fund could help finance a new memorial, i am hoping we can get one with all the boys names on it, the one that is there at present is getting a bit dilapilated.

Tell Jim i will get in touch with him on Sunday

what's this fund mate? is it a council fund or something?

jerry318
03-04-2010, 23:06
Im not too sure, ive heard it mentioned in Markinch before but couldnt tell you what its all about, im sure Shane will explain it to Campsie tomorrow when he contacts him

mendes
03-04-2010, 23:11
Im not too sure, ive heard it mentioned in Markinch before but couldnt tell you what its all about, im sure Shane will explain it to Campsie tomorrow when he contacts him

ive just checked and its a council fund that a few areas in fife have and its used for the benefit of the community

campsie
04-04-2010, 13:34
spoke with shane fenton there and hes already had words with peter eastons brother and they would be honoured for us to restore or put in a new memorial. They would love one with the names of the 5 boys on it. He was hoping something would happen with it being the 40th and seemingly at their highland gathering they were hoping some sort of tribute wouldve been done there, this was prior to our idea. Personally i think its easier for us to get it started, he did say wee Bud has agreed to be whatever(sorry dont know if it was cheiftan?) at said highland gathering, so maybe wee buds mate:D can get him involved and that way rangers are represented whether the club agree to it or not. Shane is going to speak to Douglas Morrisons dad who still stays there and get the feel factor from him, but overall it looks like the community would welcome it but preferably in the same spot with profile raised. Kevger1 he liked your idea of the raised letters, i told him i thought it was a good idea:p.

im sure their highland gathering is in june mind you, so still 6 months before the 40th anniv, does that make a difference?:confused:

GirvanLighthouse
04-04-2010, 13:45
spoke with shane fenton there and hes already had words with peter eastons brother and they would be honoured for us to restore or put in a new memorial. They would love one with the names of the 5 boys on it. He was hoping something would happen with it being the 40th and seemingly at their highland gathering they were hoping some sort of tribute wouldve been done there, this was prior to our idea. Personally i think its easier for us to get it started, he did say wee Bud has agreed to be whatever(sorry dont know if it was cheiftan?) at said highland gathering, so maybe wee buds mate:D can get him involved and that way rangers are represented whether the club agree to it or not. Shane is going to speak to Douglas Morrisons dad who still stays there and get the feel factor from him, but overall it looks like the community would welcome it but preferably in the same spot with profile raised. Kevger1 he liked your idea of the raised letters, i told him i thought it was a good idea:p.

im sure their highland gathering is in june mind you, so still 6 months before the 40th anniv, does that make a difference?:confused:

Well done on all your work Campsie - you are a credit to those 5 lads and the 61 other souls from '71

campsie
04-04-2010, 13:50
Well done on all your work Campsie - you are a credit to those 5 lads and the 61 other souls from '71

we are all in this together, as you can see jerry is a newish poster yet hes the guy who had the missing link. Its amazing what you find out, our club should be shot and turning their back on our history. The list is endless, gallant pioneers, sam english, wee johnny and billy simpson having to pay to get in, only every blue moon for our absent friends, bill struth etc, all ideas and forced through by the big bad follow follow brigade.

pennyburn
04-04-2010, 13:52
I haven't read all the thread, I find it difficult to comprehend. The enormity of it all defies all reason. My heart goes out to all the bereaved families affected by this God awful tragedy.
Even though I was only 10 yrs old and not at the game,
I remember the day well, I will never forget it.

R.I.P. Absent friends

pelem
04-04-2010, 13:54
It was tragic for every member of the RANGERS family and their friends.

One tragedy we will remember the rest of our lives.

God bless them all.

kevger1
04-04-2010, 17:24

Some more good work done there fella.

Our target is and always will be the anniversary. It would also be good to get Bud involved with this along with any other of the Rangers team that played that particular day. Although I can already think of two who may say already that they are busy that day.

campsie
04-04-2010, 17:48
Some more good work done there fella.

Our target is and always will be the anniversary. It would also be good to get Bud involved with this along with any other of the Rangers team that played that particular day. Although I can already think of two who may say already that they are busy that day.

Every chance we will be playin celtc on 2nd o jan so that in itself might prevent rangers being represented unless the game is on the sat 1st, but thats the least of our worries.

kevger1
04-04-2010, 17:54
Every chance we will be playin celtc on 2nd o jan so that in itself might prevent rangers being represented unless the game is on the sat 1st, but thats the least of our worries.

Any game at New Year will be down to when Sky want it played so it could be any old date.

As you well say though. Lets stay focused on the job in hand.

Calvers72
04-04-2010, 18:43
Reading those people's accounts of that awful day is just absolutely heartbreaking. RIP all our absent friends. We will never forget.

5boysandabaw
04-04-2010, 20:37

I have been to Markinch to visit the memorial and the graves of the lads, there are 4 graves, one of the boys was cremated, while there I met Mr Morrison, Douglas was his stepson, I assured Mr Morrison that his (step)son and friends are never forgotten by The Rangers fans.

Well done for what you are doing here.

campsie
04-04-2010, 20:49
I have been to Markinch to visit the memorial and the graves of the lads, there are 4 graves, one of the boys was cremated, while there I met Mr Morrison, Douglas was his stepson, I assured Mr Morrison that his (step)son and friends are never forgotten by The Rangers fans.

Well done for what you are doing here.

is that fact mate? because the info i have is 3 buried and 2 cremated. Always good to get new info. It's a goer anyway just waiting on permission to start raising the cash.

luvly_jubbly
04-04-2010, 20:55
R.I.P boys.

5boysandabaw
04-04-2010, 20:59
is that fact mate? because the info i have is 3 buried and 2 cremated. Always good to get new info. It's a goer anyway just waiting on permission to start raising the cash.

I asked Mr Morrison why there where 4 graves, he said the parents of one of the boys, cant remember who it was, wanted him cremated. Mr Morrison will remember his chat with me in the cemetery. Another thing is they didnt all live in the same street, 4 did and the other lived round the corner.

Edit, The other boys ashes are buried with his friends.

campsie
04-04-2010, 21:09
I asked Mr Morrison why there where 4 graves, he said the parents of one of the boys, cant remember who it was, wanted him cremated. Mr Morrison will remember his chat with me in the cemetery. Another thing is they didnt all live in the same street, 4 did and the other lived round the corner.

Edit, The other boys ashes are buried with his friends.

excellent info mate, we knew of the 4 from park view, thats why the memorial is there. I dont know any of the parents but the remaining ones will be asked for their input.

5boysandabaw
04-04-2010, 21:54
excellent info mate, we knew of the 4 from park view, thats why the memorial is there. I dont know any of the parents but the remaining ones will be asked for their input.

From memory I think the other boy lived in George St.

balfarg
04-04-2010, 21:57
Coundnt see the pal of fentons in the pub last night but i am pleased to see you have managed to make contact anyway. You say the families may want it in the same spot with a raised profile. I say if that is what they want, that is exactly what they should get. Your efforts are to be applauded here. Donation to the fund is waiting.

campsie
04-04-2010, 22:20
From memory I think the other boy lived in George St.

again nice info are you from fife?

Coundnt see the pal of fentons in the pub last night but i am pleased to see you have managed to make contact anyway. You say the families may want it in the same spot with a raised profile. I say if that is what they want, that is exactly what they should get. Your efforts are to be applauded here. Donation to the fund is waiting.

just waiting on permission to set up donation fund mate, and you are 100% correct re the families getting what they want. Biggest reason is nothing more than it can be looked after from where it is and cant or at least wont be vandalised.

5boysandabaw
04-04-2010, 22:42
[QUOTE=campsie;10948393]again nice info are you from fife?[QUOTE]

No mate, Im a weegie.

5boysandabaw
04-04-2010, 22:47
anyone who can read them and not well up isnt human. but some of these articles are helpfull, just ask colin stein who for years thought it was his goal that caused the crush.

Also, a week before Jan 2, the only female victim, Margaret Oliver Ferguson 18 from Falkirk, went to Colin Steins house, in Linlithgow I think, to give him a doll she had made for his new born baby daughter. How must he have felt when he learned she had died.And she wasnt allowed to go to the game but sneaked off anyway.

God Bless You Bearette

RoyalBlue1
05-04-2010, 00:48
Cant believe the ages of those young lads....heartbreaking.

Mostin
05-04-2010, 05:34
First time I have read through this thread.

A terrible waste of such young lives, truly heartbreaking.

RIP

gilday
05-04-2010, 06:10
My Dad was working in the hospital that night as a porter and my uncle was at the game, My Dad was checking every body that came in to see if it was his younger brother. He say's it was hardest thing he has had to do !!

Can we not get a badge made up like we do for the Erskine Appeal to raise funds !!

WeeBudsBud
05-04-2010, 17:13

I assume you mean Moi :D

I`ve to see him about an Erskine thing but it will have to be done over the phone now.

I`m away back to work tomorrow morning so gawd knows when I`ll see him again.

I`ll give him a bell later on this week and get back to you.

swindonloyal
05-04-2010, 17:43
great thread. nice to know the young boys are not forgotten QS

GirvanLighthouse
05-04-2010, 18:07
I didnt realise Walter, Alex Ferguson and Andy Roxburgh were on the pitch amongst the injured and the dead that day !!

canalbear
05-04-2010, 18:51
I know you are not looking for it Campsie, but well done.

Takes effort to deal with msps etc.

Let us know if you need any dough, i'm sure we could raise whats needed in here.

campsie
05-04-2010, 20:23
I know you are not looking for it Campsie, but well done.

Takes effort to deal with msps etc.

Let us know if you need any dough, i'm sure we could raise whats needed in here.

thats what im hoping. I was about to set up a justgiving account, but i dont have a charity number, i could use my paypal but that leaves me open for people to send accusations etc, probably need to speak tp admin again or get advice on how to raise the money without having a reg charity number. Thought everything was going too good:p

dragy71
05-04-2010, 20:52
RIP the Markinch 5 and all the others who never made it home that fateful day.. Good work from Campsie and the others who helped him so far. I am sure the families will be very proud knowing their sons have not, and will never be forgotten. ..Follow Follow

im_a_good_bluenose
05-04-2010, 21:57
jim the name of the street where you turn in to see the memorial is balbirnie avenue but if my memory serves me correctly theres also a sign with sweetbank terrace and an arrow.
id certainly be up for helping any effort to clean it up,the 5 boys must never ever be forgotten

EB73
05-04-2010, 22:05
My dad used to go on the Glenrothes bus and remembers all the boys well and attented the funerals. I wasnt born till after the disaster, but he has his own box of memories that includes the match day programme from the next home game v dundee utd. It lists all the names & ages of the victims, where the funerals took place plus the representatives of Rangers FC who also attended. Kinda hits home the enormity of that terrible day that we must never forget. If anyone wants a copy, send me a PM and i will send.

campsie
05-04-2010, 22:11
jim the name of the street where you turn in to see the memorial is balbirnie avenue but if my memory serves me correctly theres also a sign with sweetbank terrace and an arrow.
id certainly be up for helping any effort to clean it up,the 5 boys must never ever be forgotten

im guessin youve been away on a drug takin mission:p, park view is where the memorial is, ill give you a bell when things get going. We are refurbishin it so to speak, plus getting a new one.

My dad used to go on the Glenrothes bus and remembers all the boys well and attented the funerals. I wasnt born till after the disaster, but he has his own box of memories that includes the match day programme from the next home game v dundee utd. It lists all the names & ages of the victims, where the funerals took place plus the representatives of Rangers FC who also attended. Kinda hits home the enormity of that terrible day that we must never forget. If anyone wants a copy, send me a PM and i will send.

if he has anything he wants to share or advise us on all is welcome.

im_a_good_bluenose
06-04-2010, 08:23
im guessin youve been away on a drug takin mission:p, park view is where the memorial is, ill give you a bell when things get going. We are refurbishin it so to speak, plus getting a new one.

if he has anything he wants to share or advise us on all is welcome.

i know park view is where it is mate i said you need to turn into balbirnie avenue to get to park view;)

1968 deek
06-04-2010, 21:37
i read the thread for donations ,i just thought i would bump this as it must be kept at the top of the board ,as for my donation ,i will meet anyone involved and give 10 quid tommorrow at the sheep game pm if that suits,and great work to all involved .the boys will never be forgotten .

campsie
06-04-2010, 21:44
im as well adding the link on here. i wont be at the game mate, hopefully somebody can meet up when they see your post. if not pm me and ill give me your address to send it to, no hassle if you dont.

donate here. http://tinyurl.com/yj9lg2j

rab_gascoigne_8
06-04-2010, 21:50
Truly tragic that day , to everyone who lost a freind/familymember that day my heart goes out to you god bless them who passed , Lest We Forget

so cal bear
06-04-2010, 21:56
great read this thread.

Amazed to find I was born a 2 minute walk from that memorial on balbirnie street, never even knew it was there.

mendes
06-04-2010, 22:02
http://forum.*****************/showthread.php?t=643044

campsie
06-04-2010, 22:26
sitting at £73.01 already, paypal charge 37p on a fiver and 54p on a tenner.

donators so far are it shows names not moniker so ill put initials in

c s
g k
j m
jc welding ( a livingstone supporters who said the threads has touched their heart)
campsie
campsiesgirl29

also picking up a donation from buckhaven and methil supporters bus on sat. So good start to first day. Thanks to all.

kevger1
06-04-2010, 22:55
great read this thread.

Amazed to find I was born a 2 minute walk from that memorial on balbirnie street, never even knew it was there.

It would be easilly missed due to its low level location but the plan is to raise it , restore it and perhaps put it on a stone plinth with the lads names on it.

govan86
06-04-2010, 23:30
A truly heartgreaking story of young life cut short. as the father of 2 boys I can't begin to imagine the anguish of the families. RIP.

kevger1
07-04-2010, 16:23
http://i41.tinypic.com/10r92rp.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/qnjmnm.jpg

campsie
07-04-2010, 23:22
could turn that into a colourful garden of rememberance?

kevger1
07-04-2010, 23:24
could turn that into a colourful garden of rememberance?

I think it could certainly be a lot better than it is at present.

5boysandabaw
08-04-2010, 00:00
Made a wee donation. Good work.

campsie
08-04-2010, 08:04
I think it could certainly be a lot better than it is at present.

wrong quote:o

campsie
08-04-2010, 08:05
Made a wee donation. Good work.

received mate and thank you.

kevger1
08-04-2010, 08:38
wrong quote:o

Was meaning the shrubbery arround the memorial stone at present looks a bit unkempt.

I was in agreement that a more colourful remembrance garden beside the memorial would look far better.

Apologies for the confusion.

campsie
08-04-2010, 08:45
Was meaning the shrubbery arround the memorial stone at present looks a bit unkempt.

I was in agreement that a more colourful remembrance garden beside the memorial would look far better.

Apologies for the confusion.

not you ya nutter:p, i was saying thanks to 5boysanabaw but quoted you instead:eek:,
personally i think it would be great for it to be a wee colourful garden but we would prob have to maintain it every year but im sure the residents would help.

TheSnowman
08-04-2010, 08:47

RIP

Me and my three mates also made it home that day, but there is not a day goes past that I don't think about how lucky we were.

kevger1
08-04-2010, 08:58
not you ya nutter:p, i was saying thanks to 5boysanabaw but quoted you instead:eek:,
personally i think it would be great for it to be a wee colourful garden but we would prob have to maintain it every year but im sure the residents would help.

Looks like it is your good self The Laird o Fife who is the nutter then.

Even the planting of a few hundred daffodils and tulips would make the memorial area look good this time of year along with easy to keep too.

balfargbear
08-04-2010, 09:14
likwise guys am sitting here with wet eyes, i live in glenrothes and will go pay my respects at the wee memorial this weekend. if there is a fund for the bricks please let me know. rip boys

mendes
08-04-2010, 09:52

wouldnt the council do that as part of land services work?

balfargbear
08-04-2010, 10:02
the council will tend that area anyway so if we were to add a few beds, shrubs etc. am sure if they were contacted they would be fine. especially so given the circumstances

kevger1
08-04-2010, 13:02
the council will tend that area anyway so if we were to add a few beds, shrubs etc. am sure if they were contacted they would be fine. especially so given the circumstances

The local council have been contacted and just waiting to hear back from them.

kevger1
08-04-2010, 17:39
likwise guys am sitting here with wet eyes, i live in glenrothes and will go pay my respects at the wee memorial this weekend. if there is a fund for the bricks please let me know. rip boys

The current fund is to restore and perhaps enhance the original memorial.

sandyrangers
08-04-2010, 18:52
glad to make a wee donation

kevger1
13-04-2010, 08:51
glad to make a wee donation

Every penny will help towards a fitting tribute to the 5 lads.

mendes
13-04-2010, 17:39
wee bump for this as this fund deserves as much publicity as possible

mendes
14-04-2010, 15:34
another wee bump for this

kevger1
14-04-2010, 20:49
Quite right too

kevger1
17-04-2010, 07:36
The Rangers side that fateful afternoon on the 2nd of January 1971

RANGERS

Neef
Jardine
Mathieson
Greig
McKinnon
Jackson
Henderson
Conn
Johnstone
Smith
Stein

kevger1
17-04-2010, 07:59
I found the following passages written by Jeff Perkins on the 2nd of Jan 2009

http://blogcritics.org/sports/article/honouring-the-ibrox-disaster-victims-38/page-3/

Back in 1971, before the restructuring of Scottish football, there were only two Old Firm league games a season. On Saturday January 2nd 1971 the two bitter rivals clashed at Rangers’ Ibrox Stadium. It was, of course, a huge, and eagerly anticipated match.

Celtic, from the east end of the city, had been enjoying a period of dominance. They had won the Scottish league every season since 1965-66 a sequence that was to result in a run of nine consecutive championships. They had also become the first ever British side to lift the European Cup when, in 1967, they had beaten the mighty Inter Milan in Lisbon, 2-1.

This record would haunt Rangers until they too won nine on the trot between 1989 and 1997. The rivalry extends a lot further than these mere football statistics and is rooted in the not exclusively, Catholic (Celtic) tradition, and the largely Protestant (Rangers) background.

The days leading up to any Old Firm match, friends, colleagues, neighbours, and even families can find themselves divided as the excitement surrounding the approaching match begins to take hold.

As Celtic arrived at Ibrox on that particular day in January 1971 they were without doubt the favourites to win the match. Their team, managed by the legendary Jock Stein, contained several great players such as European Cup winners Jimmy Johnstone, and Bobby Lennox. The previous season they became the first British side to reach a second European Cup final this time losing to Holland’s Feyenoord.

Meanwhile Rangers, managed by Willie Waddell, boasted the likes of captain John Greig, Sandy Jardine, and striker Colin Stein. Despite talent of this calibre Rangers were suffering from inconsistent form and needed the points to try to prevent Celtic from winning yet another trophy.

The game was played with all the passion, and commitment expected from an Old Firm match and yet had seemingly reached a stalemate with the score set at 0-0 and time running out. Many of the fans at the Rangers end of the 80,000 all ticket crowd sensed that there would be no late dramas and began to head for the exit. The most popular exit for the East terrace was Stairway 13. It was the one nearest to the subway station.

Ibrox had been the scene of a previous catastrophe when in April 1902 the newly developed stadium witnessed the first major football related tragedy in the UK. During the Scotland v England match, part of the new wooden terracing collapsed killing 25 spectators and injuring over 500 others.

The ground gradually evolved during the interim years and by 1971 consisted of a huge bowl shaped stadium large enough to hold the massive crowds that an Old Firm match always attracted. The capacity was at one time just short of 150,000, making it the largest club ground in the UK.

The ill fated staircase had already seen incidents in 1961, 1967, and 1969 but no one could have anticipated the size of the tragedy that would change football in Glasgow forever.

The events on that tragic afternoon, at the end of a game that had been played in a largely good natured atmosphere, would change Ibrox, and the future of football stadium design.

The huge volume of people leaving the ground before the end could only listen when in the 89th minute the Celtic end went wild with delight. International winger Jimmy Johnstone had scored to put the visitors 1-0 up.

With the goal coming so late in the game Celtic, and many Rangers supporters, must have thought that the match had taken its final twist. However almost directly from the kick off Rangers attacked and striker Colin Stein dramatically equalised. There was no time left in which to restart the match and it ended 1-1.

Many people left the ground totally unaware of the horror that was developing on Stairway 13. Several theories have been offered over the years regarding what happened. The most common is that some of the surge of Rangers supporters who either left early with the score at 0-0, or headed for the stairs when Celtic scored, turned to try and get back in when they heard the roar that greeted Rangers’ equaliser.

The official enquiry revealed that it was more likely that someone lost their footing and the crowd behind, unable to stop or even see the steps below, fell in one horrible mass of bodies.

The players had returned to their dressing rooms totally unaware of what had happened. The Rangers team were busy celebrating Stein’s last gasp equaliser when the news of an ongoing tragedy broke.

Sixty six fans were destined never to return home. Current day Rangers manager Walter Smith witnessed the tragedy as did the visiting, former Rangers defender, Sir Alex Ferguson, and former Scotland manager Andy Roxburgh. The emergency services were overwhelmed by the enormity of the incident but worked tirelessly trying to separate the injured from the pile of bodies.

As the death toll rose the full horror was gradually revealed. Five schoolboys from the village of Markinch in Fife were among the dead. The collective shock cut across the Old Firm divide. These events went beyond tribal rivalry, beyond partisan feelings, and effected all parts of, not only Glasgow, but of football the world over.

Rangers manager Willie Waddell went to the stairway and saw first hand the human carnage. The dressing rooms, club gymnasium, and the club offices were all used as temporary mortuaries and hospitals for the countless injured. The medical staff of both clubs were actively involved trying to help those they could. Bob Rooney, the Celtic physio, was seen with tears streaming from his eyes trying to resuscitate victim after victim.

The local Southern General Hospital could hardly cope with the influx of dead and injured. The photographs taken of the stairways and its twisted barriers revealed the true extent of the horror.

Anyone, myself included, who attended a big match during that period, could so easily have become one of those victims. I can remember losing my footing as a young boy whilst descending a staircase whilst leaving a 63,000 crowd at the Chelsea v Manchester United game at Stamford Bridge in 1969.

I was lucky that day, we all were, and despite the fear that I felt, no one was hurt, let alone killed. At Ibrox two years later that wasn’t to be the case.

Ibrox and football has changed almost beyond recognition since that day in January 1971. The fierce rivalry still exists between the two clubs of course and you wouldn’t expect it to be any other way. For this day though a city was united in its grief for those who so needlessly lost their lives on those stairs.

The religious divide agreed on one thing. There for the grace of God ……………..

Within a few years the huge terraces, and staircases at Ibrox, Celtic Park, and Hampden had been bulldozed to be replaced by the impressive all seater stadiums we see today.

Unfortunately there would still be more tragedy at Heysel Stadium in Brussels, Hillsborough, and Bradford to come. The lives lost at Ibrox are today remembered by a statue of the Rangers captain for that fateful match, John Greig, near the scene.

Read more: http://blogcritics.org/sports/article/honouring-the-ibrox-disaster-victims-38/page-3/#ixzz0lL2KbRhQ

kevger1
17-04-2010, 08:08
http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/archived/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=547

Absent Friends - The Ibrox Disasters

Two tragic events in Rangers history will remain defining moments for every Rangers supporter. They stand as a guage
of football's real importance while reminding every football fan of just how safety and organisation are a huge necessity
at our stadia.
- The First Disaster - 1902On April 5, 1902, during a Scotland vs England match in the 1902 British Home
Championship, a section of terracing at the back of the newly built West Tribune Stand collapsed due to heavy rainfall
the previous night. Hundreds of supporters fell up to 40 feet (12 m) to the ground below. 25 people died and 517 were
injured.
The stand at the time consisted of wooden terracing supported by a steel girder frame. Following the accident such
frameworks were discredited, and replaced throughout the United Kingdom by terracing supported by earthworks or
reinforced concrete. The tragedy occurred after 51 minutes of the match, which was declared void by the two Football
Associations. All proceeds of the replayed match at Villa Park, Birmingham on 3 May 1902 went to the disaster fund.
- Ongoing Problems
During the 1960s there were concerns about the safety of the stairway adjacent to passageway 13 (colloquially known as
Stairway 13) the exit closest to Copland Road Underground Station. On 16 September 1961 two people were killed in a
crush on the stairway, and there were two other incidents where several people were injured. However Rangers had
spent £150,000 on improvements, a very significant sum for the time.
- The Second Disaster - 1971The second major incident occurred on January 2, 1971 at the end of a Rangers vs Celtic
game. After 89 minutes of scoreless football Celtic took a 1-0 lead and many Rangers supporters left the stadium.
However, in the last seconds of stoppage time, Colin Stein scored an equaliser for Rangers. As the crowd were leaving
the ground, barriers on the stairway adjacent to passageway 13 gave way causing a massive chain-reaction pile-up of
spectators. The tragedy resulted in the loss of 66 lives, including many children - five of them schoolmates from the town
of Markinch in Fife. Bodies were stacked as deep as six feet in the area. Over 200 other fans were injured.
Alex Ferguson, former player of Rangers and legendary manager of Manchester United, had attended the game as a
spectator with his brother Martin, and left the ground before the tragedy occurred. His brother Martin had left minutes
later, but went to a nearby pub on his way home and returned to the family home in Govan just before his brother and a
family friend were about to report his absence to the police. Initially it was speculated that fans leaving the ground turned
back when they heard roars from the crowd. The speculation was that those who turned back collided with fans leaving
the ground when the match ended. The official inquiry into the disaster indicated that there was no truth in this
hypothesis. All the spectators were going in the same direction at the time of the collapse. However the "myth of the
Stein goal" became widely believed and repeated for many years after the disaster.
- ConsequencesThe 1971 disaster led to a huge redevelopment of Ibrox, spearheaded by the general manager at the
time Willie Waddell, who visited Borussia Dortmund's Westfalenstadion for inspiration. Ibrox was converted to an all
seater stadium, and was subsequently awarded UEFA five star status.Both sides of the Old Firm put aside their rivalries
and came together to play a game to raise funds for the victims' families. A combined Rangers and Celtic team took on a
Scotland XI at Hampden watched by 81,405 fans. For some years after 1971 disaster there was only a small plaque at
the corner of the ground where it took place. However around 30 years later a larger monument was erected at the
corner of the Bill Struth Main Stand and the Copland Road Stand, including the names of everyone killed in all three
incidents, and a statue of John Greig, Rangers captain at the time of the 1971 disaster. The official Rangers singing
section - The Blue Order - also commisioned a huge banner to remember the 'Absent Friends' - dedicated to the
disasters and every Ranger who has passed on.

- Recommended Reading Sheils, Robert (November 1998). "The fatalities at the Ibrox disaster of 1902". The Sports
Historian 18 (2): 148-155. British Society of Sports History. Ferrier, Bob; Robert McElroy (2005). 'Rangers: The Complete
Record'. Breedon Books, 67-8. ISBN 1 85983 481 7.'Stairway 13: The 1971 Ibrox Disaster' (Paul Collier) BBC Report
(with radio footage) - 'On this Day'
The Rangers Archive - Online Rangers Museum
http://

kevger1
19-04-2010, 22:35
I never for a minute thought when I first cut and paste the below quotation that not only would I get the pleasure to meet the author of that fine piece of work but also to be part of a project to ensure that the lads names will never be forgotten. To also meet the the father of one of the victims was a very humbling experience. Must have been tragic to lose a son at such a young age under such tragic circumstances.

To also meet Shane , a Celtic Fan , who lost FIVE of his mates at such a young age must have took its toll on him too.

A Big Thank you also to Mr Campsie for picking the acorn off this particular tree and making it grow into a reality.

MEMORIES OF A TRAGIC DAY

On the 35th anniversary of the Ibrox disaster, correspondent Shane Fenton recalls his personal memories of the tragedy in which five of his friends were among the 66 people killed.

THE MORNING of January 2, 1971, was like any other matchday morning for us young Old Firm fans from the south end of Markinch, with the usual 'mickey-taking', banter and side-bets.
Pete Lee, Joe Mitchell and myself, all Celtic fans, walked from Markinch along with Dougie Morrison, Peter Easton, Ron Paton, Mason Philp and Bryan Todd, all Rangers followers.
We were headed for the CISWO Club in Glenrothes where we would board the rival supporters' buses.
Despite supporting different teams we were all the best of mates and most of us played for the then Markinch United football team.
Little did we know as we boarded our buses that it would be the last time we would see our pals.
The match itself was nothing out of the ordinary and looked to be heading for a no-scoring draw when Celtic scored in the last minute.
We at the Celtic end decided to leave at this stage and were actually back on our bus for some 15 minutes before some of the older supporters arrived and told us that Rangers had equalised.
At that time we knew nothing of the tragic events that were happening on stairway 13. In fact, it wasn't until the bus made a stop in Kincardine on the way home that we heard something had happened at the Rangers end of Ibrox.
The older fans who had been at the pub for a refreshment had heard the news on the television. We never thought for a minute that Markinch boys had been involved.
When I returned many locals had already started to panic. My relatives, like those of the other boys who knew we were at the match, had already started inquiring to make sure we were all okay.
When the news eventually came through that Ron, Dougie, Bryan, Peter and Mason hadn't returned with the Rangers' bus all kinds of thoughts went through our heads.
We hoped that they had just missed the bus and would arrive home later. We stayed out until late in the evening hoping they would appear on the last buses and trains into Markinch.
It was over the next couple of days when the devastating news that we feared had become a reality. The entire village was in complete shock with the news that our five friends had been victims of the terrible disaster.
The next few days Markinch, particularly Park View, the street where four of the boys lived was awash with reporters, photographers and television news crews.
When it was time for the funerals, almost the entire town of Markinch, then a population of 2,344, turned out to mourn the five local schoolboys.
Three of the boys were buried side by side at Markinch Cemetery. The services of the other two were held at Kirkcaldy Crematorium.
I can remember the cortege stretching back along the streets lined with mourners.
Rangers' chairman, John Lawrence, attended the service at Markinch along with half a dozen players.
The boys may be gone, but 35 years on, they are still remembered by the people of Markinch. Their names come up periodically when we recall schoolboy tales in our pub conversations. And there is a permanent reminder with the memorial plaque which is situated at the end of Park View.
Just last year I was asked to feature on a BBC Radio programme about the disaster and also contributed my recollection to a book that is currently being written.
The tragedy affected many people in different ways. For me, it put me off attending many more senior football matches. Before the disaster I could count on one hand the amount of Celtic matches I had missed in the previous four years. Since it, I probably wouldn't need one hand to count the games I've been to.

RIP.[/QUOTE]

mendes
20-04-2010, 00:15
I never for a minute thought when I first cut and paste the below quotation that not only would I get the pleasure to meet the author of that fine piece of work but also to be part of a project to ensure that the lads names will never be forgotten. To also meet the the father of one of the victims was a very humbling experience. Must have been tragic to lose a son at such a young age under such tragic circumstances.

To also meet Shane , a Celtic Fan , who lost FIVE of his mates at such a young age must have took its toll on him too.

A Big Thank you also to Mr Campsie for picking the acorn off this particular tree and making it grow into a reality.

MEMORIES OF A TRAGIC DAY

RIP.[/QUOTE]

such sad pieces Kev.

campsie
20-04-2010, 09:33
such sad pieces Kev.[/QUOTE]

Don't suppose we can imagine what the parents went through that day, a poster was telling me of him standing at his local train station waiting in hope that friends would come off, he was only a couple of stations up from Markinch, i can only imagine it was the same all over. Makes me shiver and well up even at the thought. Must have been the most helpless a parent/wife could ever feel. Heres to hoping it never happens again.

We've all shouted for bringing back the terracing, i know i have, but when you read these stories it does make you wonder.

mendes
20-04-2010, 10:02
such sad pieces Kev.

Don't suppose we can imagine what the parents went through that day, a poster was telling me of him standing at his local train station waiting in hope that friends would come off, he was only a couple of stations up from Markinch, i can only imagine it was the same all over. Makes me shiver and well up even at the thought. Must have been the most helpless a parent/wife could ever feel. Heres to hoping it never happens again.

We've all shouted for bringing back the terracing, i know i have, but when you read these stories it does make you wonder.[/QUOTE]

youre right, it does bring a shiver at the thought of it. so sad.

kevger1
23-04-2010, 14:48

We've all shouted for bringing back the terracing, i know i have, but when you read these stories it does make you wonder.

youre right, it does bring a shiver at the thought of it. so sad.[/QUOTE]

You can not be human if you are not moved by some of the stories from that tragic day

mendes
23-04-2010, 15:15
youre right, it does bring a shiver at the thought of it. so sad.

You can not be human if you are not moved by some of the stories from that tragic day[/QUOTE]

agree with that

campsie
25-04-2010, 17:50
spoke to shane fenton, i think the families would prefer we didnt use pics of the boys at the minute, Mrs Eastons son Dirk?? reckons it might be too much for his mum. He is going to sit her down next week and explain more about what we are doing. So maybe in time she will change her mind. Her opinion along with the other guys families are the most important in this, what we think comes secondry in my opinion. So far we have had nothing but support from all families and friends we have spoke to.

Went out earlier with campsiesgirl29 an put letters and leaflets of who we are and what we are doing thru every business in markinch(well the ones that had letter boxes, posties have it easy there) including the pubs and balbirnie house hotel. Reception from the people we spoke to was all good.

campsie
26-04-2010, 22:12
heres where we are so far.

costing around £650 for a bench to be placed in the churchyard inc plaque

Cleaning exsisting memorial and adding a granite base to raise it up to required height also including the 5 boys names and age. Will have a rangers badge, and markinch badge(prob coat of arms), will also have glenrothes rangers supporters club(the bus they used), this is costing between £1500 and £2000. We cant get an exact quote til we find out about the lifting and relaying of the memorial. I dont know too much about it, but the guy reckons some councils want to do it themselves but charge, but it will cost us no matter who does it. The guy is one of us and the reason its taken so long to get a price was due to him trying to find suitable stuff lying around. Couldnt so it must be bought, he is trying to keep the cost nearer the £1500 but it may go up towards the 2k.

I think Kevger1 has the price for the 5 trees, im sure he was told they are cheaper at a certain time of the year and im sure he will post it later.

We havent got a price for trophies for the school, i think we only need 2 of them, so guess no more than £100, prob less.

so im guessing we need to find about £3000 for the markinch part alone, we are getting there, and hopefully the race night will boost us to that total and also maybe a couple of pounds can go to rachel house.

The local gazzette is running a story this week, im sure they have spoke with shane fenton, they spoke to me very early on altho i didnt realise it at the time:o and im guessing after that it will hit the papers so to speak as they take everything else from here.

Thanks again to all who are supporting this, whether it be with cash gifts time or info, each and every one is a credit to our support an hopefully in the end we are a credit to the 5 young boys who never got the chance to reach adulthood.

kevger1
05-05-2010, 22:50
Nigels cousin Derek was back on the phone tonight and he thinks that a couple of the schools that were in Nigels area have now closed and he also thinks that Nigel had also spent a couple of years in Canada.

I enquired as to whether Nigel was burried or Cremated and he has been Burried.

I have suggested to him that if it is going to be difficult to trace the school then why dont we put one of these ornate stone flower holders at the graveside. Perhaps even in the shape of a Teddy Bear

We could put an inscription on it along the lines of

" In Memory of Nigel From Rangers Supporters Worldwide "

Anyone got any thoughts on this

mendes
05-05-2010, 22:58
Nigels cousin Derek was back on the phone tonight and he thinks that a couple of the schools that were in Nigels area have now closed and he also thinks that Nigel had also spent a couple of years in Canada.

I enquired as to whether Nigel was burried or Cremated and he has been Burried.

I have suggested to him that if it is going to be difficult to trace the school then why dont we put one of these ornate stone flower holders at the graveside. Perhaps even in the shape of a Teddy Bear

We could put an inscription on it along the lines of

" In Memory of Nigel From Rangers Supporters Worldwide "

Anyone got any thoughts on this

good idea kev. i'd say go with the teddy bears stone and id maybe say the words could be "in memory of Nigel from the family of Rangers supporters worldwide".

kevger1
05-05-2010, 23:14
good idea kev. i'd say go with the teddy bears stone and id maybe say the words could be "in memory of Nigel from the family of Rangers supporters worldwide".

Not that I got a double degree in English or anything but if you were to include the word family should it not read

In Memory of Nigel from the Rangers Supporting Family Worldwide

mendes
05-05-2010, 23:16
Not that I got a double degree in English or anything but if you were to include the word family should it not read

In Memory of Nigel from the Rangers Supporting Family Worldwide

either would do

campsie
05-05-2010, 23:21
either would do

he is right re the wording, but then hes an o c.

without everybody on all these threads plus the others from other forums, not to mention the ones not posting, we'd be looking at another lost thread. Rangers fans worldwide take a bow, the oc just delegates me to delegate:confused:

mendes
05-05-2010, 23:23

as for me and him running the show, yea right:eek:, without everybody on all these threads plus the others from other forums, not to mention the ones not posting, we'd be looking at another lost thread. Rangers fans worldwide are running the show, the oc just delegates me to delegate:confused:

you two are getting things done hence the term running the show. as for my sugestion it was just that only a suggestion.

kevger1
05-05-2010, 23:29

without everybody on all these threads plus the others from other forums, not to mention the ones not posting, we'd be looking at another lost thread. Rangers fans worldwide take a bow, the oc just delegates me to delegate:confused:

I bow in the presence of the Chief Co ordinater. I throw rose petals on the very ground he walks. His delegations skills are up there alongside

Mr Delegate from Delegate Drive, Delegateville.:D

But what he says in those wise words of wisdom are correct.

From the person donating a pound to the generous guys donating and buying the shirts on auction..

From the person bumping the threads to the person making others aware on other forums

From the High heid Yin right the way down to the O.C.

We are all in this equally together

balfarg
05-05-2010, 23:33
But what he says in those wise words of wisdom are correct.

From the person donating a pound to the generous guys donating and buying the shirts on auction..

From the person bumping the threads to the person making others aware on other forums

From thi High heid Yin right the way down to the O.C.

We are all in this equally together

And it makes you proud to be a bear

kevger1
11-10-2010, 16:08
Been very interesting reading through this thread again starting on the 17th of March with just a small idea right the way to the completion of or project in Liverpool yesterday. It is astonishing that all of the things we spoke about actually happenned.

Well done Mr Campsie for saying that it was time to get things done.

They got done.

mendes
11-10-2010, 17:10
when you read through this thread and you see the various posters offering suggestions you really have to say large pat on the back to those that got this organised and all suggestion put in to action.

you know who you are and you are all a credit to the rangers supporters worldwide http://i52.tinypic.com/1oovue.gif

am proud 2 b blue
11-10-2010, 17:30
I posted a couple of months ago that I visited Markinch; and the Memorial had been removed for restoration.

I was coming back from St Andrews the other night and decided to pass through Markinch again.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1972/mem002.png

I was driving away and I knew they're was something else I wanted to do - lay some flowers; that'll be for next time I pass through.

Tremendous work by all involved

kevger1
11-10-2010, 17:35
I posted a couple of months ago that I visited Markinch; and the Memorial had been removed for restoration.

I was coming back from St Andrews the other night and decided to pass through Markinch again.

I was driving away and I knew they're was something else I wanted to do - lay some flowers; that'll be for next time I pass through.

The stone looks really different in the dark

GirvanLighthouse
11-10-2010, 17:49
Who could ever have forseen what would come out of that initial idea and in such a relative short few months.

Well done to the Markinch Memorial Committee - a true inspiration along with everyone who supported it and made everything possible.

mendes
11-10-2010, 21:18

at least now you can see the boys names in the daylight and at night

campsie
11-10-2010, 22:30
when you start reading it you soon realise none of us really had a clue and knew very little or even nothing about the boys. They were just part of the stats in our clubs history.
Now they have a place, as have others thanks to The Rangers support.
Plenty more can be honoured if someone has a bit time. Heres hoping. As ive repeatedly said, for me it wasnt just about the victims but about those they left behind.
having just returned from Liverpool and speaking to guys my age and younger talking about friends and family they lost i wish we had done this years ago. too many people suffered too long, they may well still be suffering, but they now know The Rangers supporters care about them and they need never worry again whether their boys, daughter, brothers, sister, husbands father etc were just a stat.

kevger1
12-10-2010, 00:15
when you start reading it you soon realise none of us really had a clue and knew very little or even nothing about the boys. They were just part of the stats in our clubs history.
Now they have a place, as have others thanks to The Rangers support.
Plenty more can be honoured if someone has a bit time. Heres hoping. As ive repeatedly said, for me it wasnt just about the victims but about those they left behind.
having just returned from Liverpool and speaking to guys my age and younger talking about friends and family they lost i wish we had done this years ago. too many people suffered too long, they may well still be suffering, but they now know The Rangers supporters care about them and they need never worry again whether their boys, daughter, brothers, sister, husbands father etc were just a stat.

Dont know about you but I would love to see someone else pick up the baton and honour some more of the victims.

campsie
12-10-2010, 00:25
Dont know about you but I would love to see someone else pick up the baton and honour some more of the victims.

would be nice. it will happen, no doubt in time. i think when you see the look on the families it makes it worth while. And after Liverpool you can see how they are affected down there, its still fresh.
So can only imagine what we went through up here.

off topic as not Rangers but still hits home, was taken on route to Nigels grave.
http://i53.tinypic.com/souvcw.jpg

kevger1
12-10-2010, 01:11
would be nice. it will happen, no doubt in time. i think when you see the look on the families it makes it worth while. And after Liverpool you can see how they are affected down there, its still fresh.
So can only imagine what we went through up here.

off topic as not Rangers but still hits home, was taken on route to Nigels grave.
http://i53.tinypic.com/souvcw.jpg

I think that Liverpools tribute is vastly superior to the one at Ibrox.

campsie
12-10-2010, 01:14
I think that Liverpools tribute is vastly superior to the one at Ibrox.

Dont know if i'd use the word superior.
i think the fact the names hit you right away helps.
Ours with Greig is good, possibly a better name plaque
plus they dont have scum to tarnish theirs.

kevger1
12-10-2010, 09:04
Dont know if i'd use the word superior.
i think the fact the names hit you right away helps.
Ours with Greig is good, possibly a better name plaque
plus they dont have scum to tarnish theirs.

When i look at the Liverpool one you are right , what strikes you is the names and personally , I think thats the way that it should be. When you think of the Rangers one, again as you correctly point out, you think of the statue more than the names on the plaque underneath.

No one in Liverpool would even dare to do anything to tarnish their wonderful memorial whilst ours would have had to be designed with the fact that there are sub human species in these neck of the woods that would think nothing of trying to destroy any tribute that was put in place.

kevger1
21-10-2010, 19:26
This following article is a difficult read too.

These are the moving words of ambulanceman Jack Kirkland, one of the many who did what they could to save lives on that dark night at Ibrox....

After the final whistle at Ibrox that Saturday I went off home, unaware that anything unusual had happened, for I’d left from an exit far from the Copland Road end of the Stadium and the stairway where the horror of Ibrox took place.

I was whistling when I arrived home, ready for my tea, and a relaxing Saturday night in front of the television. My young daughter came running out to meet me and I held out my arms to her. Then I realised she wasn’t smiling or laughing at me. She was breathless and shouting. ‘Daddy, daddy! There’s a man on the phone. He says you’ve to hurry.’ I ran past her and into the house.

It was the duty control officer who was calling. ‘A barrier’s collapsed at Ibrox, Jack. It looks bad. We have reports coming in all the time.’

‘But I’ve just come from there…’ and I thought, it can’t be that bad. I would have known, surely?

‘It happened just after the final whistle. News of it is just beginning to come through. You’d better get back there, right now. There’s a fleet of ambulances on its way now. I’m afraid the single duty ambulance that’s always there is sorely inadequate.’

When I arrived at Ibrox the scene was one of complete chaos. People were running about all over the place, shock etched on their faces. I had to fight my way through the crowd to reach the ambulance room in the main building.

I just wasn’t prepared for the sight that greeted me when I arrived there. There wasn’t an unoccupied room in the building; patients were lying everywhere, on floors, in corridors, being treated by the St Andrew’s Ambulance Volunteers in attendance. I saw two young nurses, only girls themselves, giving mouth to mouth resuscitation to men who lay dying, ribs crushed, faces smeared with blood. The air was filled with the cries of the dying and the injured. In the melee I managed to find my colleague, Robert Brown. We decided the best thing we could do was to return to the Main Stand and liaise with the senior police officer.

We had to step over bodies that had been laid on the ground. Men moaning in pain, their faces pain weary. Police and ambulance men were giving the injured and unconscious oxygen or mouth to mouth resuscitation. Rescuers were taking many to the Main Stand for medical attention.

I checked in with ambulance control. No one hospital could cope with the number of injured we had here. Five hospitals were alerted to receive casualties. The Southern General was to take the majority of the injured. Others went to the Victoria, the Western, the Royal and the Royal Alexandria in Paisley. Paisley ambulance control too had been requested to assist and had despatched three ambulances.

Off duty ambulance officers and men had rushed from their homes to HQ to take up duty as soon as they heard the news of the disaster on radio or television. The officers had been sent to the hospitals receiving casualties and the police mortuary. Their task, to speed up the turn round of ambulances and to make sure they were fully equipped before returning to the stadium.

Soon, processions of stretcher-bearers were carrying the injured to the waiting ambulances. No one spared themselves. Football officials from both teams worked as hard as anyone, the disbelief at the enormity of what had happened evident on all their faces. As soon as ambulances were loaded they were heading for different hospitals. And then it was back for more stretchers, and seemingly unending stream of injured.

In all, eighteen ambulances worked a shuttle service between the stadium and the hospitals. The ambulances had a difficult task. The heavy traffic congestion that happens after every football fixture would have badly hampered their progress, but thanks to the expert police assistance they got through, with most of their patients being given oxygen therapy on the way.

Outside the ground, crowds of people, drawn by the news of the disaster on radio or television, stood silently, wondering if their loved ones were those in the ambulances – or worse – under one of those growing number of blankets on the ground inside. Once all the casualties were safely away, Robert Brown and I had the unenviable task of arranging for the transportation of the dead to the police mortuary.

The fatalities had been lined in rows inside, underneath the training tunnel, but when we tried to reverse our ambulances into the tunnel we realised that it was too low. The bodies would have to be brought out. With much reluctance we commandeered a groundsman’s two wheel trolley. The stretchers were loaded onto it and pushed through the tunnel to the ambulances. That is a sight that really shook me. The indignity of having to transport those bodies that way seemed just too much.

It took the best part of an hour to complete this heartbreaking task. By the end there was hardly a face that wasn’t streaked with tears.

When I checked in with ambulance control, it was to be told that Robert and I were to come to the Southern General hospital to arrange for the transportation of further bodies to the police mortuary. The Southern was a hive of activity when we arrived there. Glasgow Corporation had offered to supply private cars for the transportation of the not so badly injured to their homes after treatment, and this offer had been gratefully taken up. Ambulances, taxis and cars zoomed in and out constantly. The ambulance crews were totally exhausted.

Robert and I had only just arrived and and were talking with one of the crews when a taxi drew up and two men got out. They were supporting a third man, who was so shocked and white I thought at first he had been injured. One of the men came forward. ‘It’s his wee boy,’ he to indicated the third man who looked barely able to stand. ‘He went to the match, and didn’t come home. We’ve been to the stadium, the police sent us here. Said a few children had been taken to the hospital.’

The man suddenly started to cry. ‘Don’t tell me he’s deid. Please don’t tell me he’s deid’ One of the ambulance men went toward him. ‘I brought in a boy not long ago. What was your boy’s name?’

The man whispered his boy’s name in a sob. I think we all held our breath. We all prayed.

The ambulance man clapped a hand on his shoulder. ‘Aye, that’s him’ he said, ‘he’s a casualty. All he’s got is an injury to his ankle.’ The man suddenly threw his arms around him and hugged him. Tears of joy streaming down his face. ‘Aw thanks,’ he kept saying. ‘Aw God, thanks.’

He was one of the lucky ones. Others, unfortunately, had sad news awaiting them.

In their endeavours to save lives, 3,240 gallons of oxygen were used. It may be that no lives were saved that way, that’s something that we’ll never know, but we like to think that there’s somebody walking about out there today because of that oxygen.

Next day, Sunday, we were out again going round the various hospitals and the police mortuary to pick up our equipment. I was talking to a young policeman outside the mortuary when an old woman approached us.

‘Son,’ she said to me. ‘I’ve lived in that building for over forty years,’ and with a blue veined hand she indicated the tenement overlooking the mortuary. ‘I’ve seen ambulances come and go, but I’ve never seen anything like what I saw last night. A long line of ambulances stretching as far as my old eyes could see. Down there…’ She gazed along the road as if she could still see them now. ‘ I knew what was in those ambulances, and I just sat and cried. Do you know what I mean, son?’ Her watery blue eyes filled up with tears. ‘I just had to come out of the house to talk to somebody. Do you understand, son?’

‘Aye,’ I said. ‘I understand fine.’ She walked away, shaking her head and muttering. ‘It’s a terrible thing. A terrible thing.’

‘It’s funny, for everyone there’s something, just one thing, that makes tragedy sink in,’ the young policeman said. I knew what he meant. I was thinking of bringing those bodies out through the training tunnel. ‘Do you know what it was for me?’ he went on. ‘It was when I went into Govan police station, and there, lined up in pathetic wee bundles were all the personal belongings of the dead. That’s when it really hit me.’

All through that night the police were magnificent. They went to any lengths to help the public, and us. Whenever I hear people complaining about the police, I remember Ibrox, and their tireless efforts to help everyone. They do a hazardous job, to the best of their ability. It’s a pity they’re only appreciated when they’re needed.

FAO Saint Lighthoose.

wee blue devil
21-10-2010, 19:51
Such a tragedy.

We will always remember them.

God bless.

11albertz
21-10-2010, 20:23
FAO Saint Lighthoose.

thought long about a reply to your post Kev,i feel empty after reading that account.:(

mendes
15-03-2011, 12:07
memorial bump

rangersblue
17-03-2011, 01:27
This thread is now exactly one year old and deserves to be given another viewing.

rangersblue
17-03-2011, 01:30
This thread deserves another viewing as its exactly one year on now.

http://forum.*****************/showthread.php?t=636538&highlight=Markinch+Memorial+Stone

rangersblue
17-03-2011, 10:51
Guess this thread just could compete with the vajazzle thread eh! :roll:

rangersblue
17-03-2011, 15:06
Guess this thread just could compete with the vajazzle thread eh! :roll:

This thread tucked away on the bottom of the second page is shocking!

campsie
01-01-2012, 12:49
Bump to be added to the absent friends thread.

mendes
01-01-2012, 13:21
Bump to be added to the absent friends thread.

well done for bumping it back up the board.

campsie
02-01-2012, 14:38
16 months on and still a fitting tribute

http://i41.tinypic.com/33p7m0g.jpg

mendes
28-12-2012, 23:35
16 months on and still a fitting tribute

http://i41.tinypic.com/33p7m0g.jpg

There is to be a short service at the memorial stone on New Years day at
3pm.

union332
28-12-2012, 23:43
Recall the documentary when Mrs Easton mother of victim Peter spoke so movingly about her son.Tear in my eye every time i see or think about it. forever in our thoughts.