PDA

View Full Version : Danish league tv revenue

HMS.Temple.Garden
15-03-2010, 13:55
Since 2008, Modern Times Group owns the rights to broadcast all of the matches from the league, and uses them to broadcast matches on channels TV3+ and TV 2 Sport (through sub licensing). However, the current deal was found, by the Danish Competition Authority (Konkurrencestyrelsen) not to comply with the Danish competition legislation. Therefore, a new deal was made on December 21, 2008, dividing the Superliga TV-rights between three parties:

below is a list and it falls into the following order - right package; buyer; channel; details

TV, I Modern Times Group TV3+, TV3+ HD Grants exclusive rights to broadcast the game played Sunday 18.00 (1st choice)

TV, II Bonnier Group1 Canal 9, DR1 Grants exclusive rights to broadcast the games played Sunday 14.00 and 16.00 on live television (2nd and 5th choice)

TV, III TV 2 Sport TV 2 Sport, TV 2 Sport HD Grants exclusive rights to broadcast the games played Saturday 17.00, Sunday 16.00 and Monday 19.00 on live television (3rd, 4th2 and 6th choice)

TV, Cup SBS Broadcasting Group Kanal 5, Kanal 5 HD, 6'eren Grants exclusive rights to broadcast the games in the Danish Cup on live television

TV, 1st Division TV 2 Sport TV 2 Sport, TV 2 Sport HD Grants exclusive rights to broadcast the games in the Danish 1st Division on live television

Radio DR DR P3 Grants exclusive rights to broadcast all the games on live radio

Highlights DR, TV 2 DR1, TV 2 Grants rights to show highlights in sports news broadcasts

The deal amounted to DKK 1,062,300,000 (USD 210 million, EUR 140 million) and came into effective from the 2009-10 season.

Outside of Scandinavia, IMG holds the rights to the Superliga until the 2011-2012 season, and they have reportedly sold the rights to networks in Greece, Cyprus and the United Arab Emirates, as well as several betting sites.

That is pretty staggering considering the Danish league is mainly considered the "Gateway League to the Euro Leagues" I don't know the length of the contract but it just goes to show, that a league many would consider inferior to our's, is bringing in more money than our league. Granted Denmark is a more expensive country.

evy_rfc
15-03-2010, 13:58
we dont have the people in power to look at these types of figures. we will accept whatever sky throws at us and be thankful for it.

The-Wall
15-03-2010, 14:00
we dont have the people in power to look at these types of figures. we will accept whatever sky throws at us and be thankful for it.

Sad but so true:(

HMS.Temple.Garden
15-03-2010, 14:04

yeah but this live television, not live cable TV.

AppleBear1976
15-03-2010, 14:05
The SPhelL will accept whatever scraps it can get after the Setanta debacle! Rangers and the taigs have virtually no influence as it always results in a 10-2 vote on everything.. It's a joke that the We keep the game afloat but the rest have the power

Ace
15-03-2010, 14:06
That is heartbreaking

evy_rfc
15-03-2010, 14:06
yeah but this live television, not live cable TV.

what you talking about?

OrigTommy
15-03-2010, 14:11
IMG hold the rights outside of Denmark as well? If only we could tap into the knowledge of someone with contacts in such a powerful sports media company....

HMS.Temple.Garden
15-03-2010, 14:13
what you talking about?

I.e. council telly as we call it!!

only one of the stations are cable.

dermaster
15-03-2010, 14:17
we dont have the people in power to look at these types of figures. we will accept whatever sky throws at us and be thankful for it.When we start producing Laudrups, Kjaers,Tomassons, Schmeichels etc then we can start talking about those kind of figures.

Until then we'll have to make do with Dargo, Mehmet, Bullen and co and whatever scraps Sky will allow us to feed on. Beggars can't be choosers.

blair_omnibus
15-03-2010, 14:19
They don't have as big a comeptition with the EPL as Scotland does.

Obviously it will have loads of EPL football but it's not in th same bracket as it is here.

HMS.Temple.Garden
15-03-2010, 14:23
They don't have as big a comeptition with the EPL as Scotland does.

Obviously it will have loads of EPL football but it's not in th same bracket as it is here.

English football in shown in Scandinavia on satellite/cable and has to be paid for like we do for our sky subscription.

From what I'm reading and translating Danish football is being shown LIVE on NATIONAL television with other countries buying the rights including betting companies who are streaming the games over the internet. There appears to be one cable channel showing live games on a Sunday, which seems to host the biggest game of the weekend, which yesterday was FC Copenhagen vs Brondby.

AppleBear1976
15-03-2010, 14:25
When we start producing Laudrups, Kjaers,Tomassons, Schmeichels etc then we can start talking about those kind of figures.

Until then we'll have to make do with Dargo, Mehmet, Bullen and co and whatever scraps Sky will allow us to feed on. Beggars can't be choosers.

Eh? What a load of balls! How many of those players play in the Danish league??
Have you actually watched Danish football on a regular basis?? There's no way it's of a better standard than the Spl!

Next you will be saying that league of Ireland is better, just because jobbie keane is Irish!!

The Dude
15-03-2010, 14:31
When we start producing Laudrups, Kjaers,Tomassons, Schmeichels etc then we can start talking about those kind of figures.

Both laudrups retired how long ago? What about scmeichel? We produced baxter, greig and mccoist. does that mean the spl is due better tv revenue?

The Dude
15-03-2010, 14:32
Have you actually watched Danish football on a regular basis?? There's no way it's of a better standard than the Spl!

Next you will be saying that league of Ireland is better, just because jobbie keane is Irish!!

The ivory coast has a hell of a league too :roll:

universal_exports
15-03-2010, 14:39
People pay more over here in Denmark to watch TV, everything is more expensive.
The full package which contains about 40 channels (2 sport channels) costs around 50 a month!
Canal Plus (sports channel) costs extra, as does a lot of the other good channels.
With some people maybe paying 70 a month it might go a long way to explaining the big difference in our deal.

drgriffen
15-03-2010, 15:08
This article:

http://www.eufootball.biz/Television/7237-img_danish_superliga_international.html

says that IMG will represent their foreign rights for 3 seasons. I would assume the whole deal would be structured over a similar time frame. That means they would be getting just under €47m a season. How much are we getting?

HMS.Temple.Garden
15-03-2010, 15:22
This article:

http://www.eufootball.biz/Television/7237-img_danish_superliga_international.html

says that IMG will represent their foreign rights for 3 seasons. I would assume the whole deal would be structured over a similar time frame. That means they would be getting just under €47m a season. How much are we getting?

is it not 50 million over the duration in Scotland?

The Dude
15-03-2010, 15:23
is not 50 million over the duration in Scotland?

100 million over 5 years apparently.

HMS.Temple.Garden
15-03-2010, 15:24
100 million over 5 years apparently.

is it as much as that?

I remember we knocked back the previous Sky deal back when Advocaat was in charge, and the deal was something like 50 odd million.

The Dude
15-03-2010, 15:28
http://www.heraldscotland.com/pound-100m-tv-deal-with-espn-and-sky-safeguards-spl-finances-1.913798
100mil over 5 years

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2009/07/02/sky-and-espn-to-link-up-for-cut-price-spl-tv-deal-86908-21488235/
100m over 5 years

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/16/spl-espn-sky-tv-deal
65m over 2 years

:confused:

OrigTommy
15-03-2010, 15:32

i'd argue that more Premiership/top flight class players have came through the SPL rather than the Danish league.

Cuellar, Boumsong, Petrov, Larsson all being just a sample from the last 5 years or so but this is only going to increase as Scottish teams find it harder to hold onto players.

Clubs need to market the SPL as being an entrance-route for players to reach the holy grail of the Premiership by attracting the pick of young players from leagues across the world and establishing agreements/partnerships with Premiership clubs.

The SPL then need to market the league to TV companies in a similar light. It stands alone as a unique proposition because of the strength of us and the Beggars and the passion but also because of the link to the Premiership and the chance to see big names before they get big.

This won't happen overnight and is a bit of a culture change but something the league needs to do to ensure it remains relevant and to maximise profitability.

dermaster
15-03-2010, 15:36
Both laudrups retired how long ago? What about scmeichel? We produced baxter, greig and mccoist. does that mean the spl is due better tv revenue?Baxter and Greig retired in the 70's so are irrelevant. Schmeichel was just an example of a world class player player who came from Denmark albeit an older one. The country produces players who are successful with big teams. Scotland can't be compared with them imo.

Next you will be saying that league of Ireland is better, just because jobbie keane is Irish!!How many successful European teams have Danish players been part of in recent history compared to Scottish and Irish players?

The ivory coast has a hell of a league too :roll:I bet most of the big names in their national side haven't even played in their own league at senior level.

HMS.Temple.Garden
15-03-2010, 15:44
i'd argue that more Premiership/top flight class players have came through the SPL rather than the Danish league.

Cuellar, Boumsong, Petrov, Larsson all being just a sample from the last 5 years or so but this is only going to increase as Scottish teams find it harder to hold onto players.

Clubs need to market the SPL as being an entrance-route for players to reach the holy grail of the Premiership by attracting the pick of young players from leagues across the world and establishing agreements/partnerships with Premiership clubs.

The SPL then need to market the league to TV companies in a similar light. It stands alone as a unique proposition because of the strength of us and the Beggars and the passion but also because of the link to the Premiership and the chance to see big names before they get big.

This won't happen overnight and is a bit of a culture change but something the league needs to do to ensure it remains relevant and to maximise profitability.

excellent point, I sort of alluded to it in my OP. Sweden lose a lot of their younger, better players to the Danish league as it is closer to the European "mainstream" and closer to top leagues such as Germany etc.

The Dude
15-03-2010, 15:46
Baxter and Greig retired in the 70's so are irrelevant. Schmeichel was just an example of a world class player player who came from Denmark albeit an older one. The country produces players who are successful with big teams. Scotland can't be compared with them imo.

How many successful European teams have Danish players been part of in recent history compared to Scottish and Irish players?

I bet most of the big names in their national side haven't even played in their own league at senior level.

how many danish sides are consistently in the CL? Or have made european finals in the last 10 years?

Both laudrups retired over ten years ago so are as relevant to the current danish tv deal to baxter and greig are to the spls.

HMS.Temple.Garden
15-03-2010, 15:47
how many danish sides are consistently in the CL? Or have made european finals in the last 10 years?

a minimum of one, and I notice they get TWO clubs in the qualification rounds for next season.

ford fairlane
15-03-2010, 15:48
short termism a 12 team league and 12 idiots make sure we will stay in the mire.

The Dude
15-03-2010, 15:51
a minimum of one, and I notice they get TWO clubs in the qualification rounds for next season.

No they don't. ;)
The one team who does qualifiy enters at the second qualifying stage. Again alongside the winners of the Welsh league, the isreali premier league and the albanian champions.

In this seasons CL they were seeded alongside such giants of European football as Rhyl, Levadia Tallinn and F91 Dudelange.

dermaster
15-03-2010, 15:58

Both laudrups retired over ten years ago so are as relevant to the current danish tv deal to baxter and greig are to the spls.I've never said that Denmark produces better teams but they do produce better players. Even looking at the CL and Europa League this season will show that.

Big difference between 10 years and 30 years mate, a fairly high percentage of fans weren't even born when Greig and Baxter were playing so they would be irrelevant.

The Dude
15-03-2010, 16:02
've never said that Denmark produces better teams but they do produce better players.

Big difference between 10 years and 30 years mate, a fairly high percentage of fans weren't even born when Greig and Baxter were playing so they would be irrelevant.

I still don't see what relevance players that retired a decade ago have to do with the tv deal. Kjaer is playing at a mid table Serie A side so that would be the same as a James McCarthy in the EPL.

OliverSudden
15-03-2010, 16:07
People pay more over here in Denmark to watch TV, everything is more expensive.
The full package which contains about 40 channels (2 sport channels) costs around 50 a month!
Canal Plus (sports channel) costs extra, as does a lot of the other good channels.
With some people maybe paying 70 a month it might go a long way to explaining the big difference in our deal.

I think I'm paying kr.680,- for my TV package (Canal+) which includes my broadband and home telephone. I think people are paying that kind of money to Sky these days, not to mention those that pay the extra tenner or so for ESPN.

By the way, thanks for using my code on that website the other day there, I got my free package in the post today.

OliverSudden
15-03-2010, 16:59
Since 2008, Modern Times Group owns the rights to broadcast all of the matches from the league, and uses them to broadcast matches on channels TV3+ and TV 2 Sport (through sub licensing). However, the current deal was found, by the Danish Competition Authority (Konkurrencestyrelsen) not to comply with the Danish competition legislation. Therefore, a new deal was made on December 21, 2008, dividing the Superliga TV-rights between three parties:

below is a list and it falls into the following order - right package; buyer; channel; details

The deal amounted to DKK 1,062,300,000 (USD 210 million, EUR 140 million) and came into effective from the 2009-10 season.

Outside of Scandinavia, IMG holds the rights to the Superliga until the 2011-2012 season, and they have reportedly sold the rights to networks in Greece, Cyprus and the United Arab Emirates, as well as several betting sites.

That is pretty staggering considering the Danish league is mainly considered the "Gateway League to the Euro Leagues" I don't know the length of the contract but it just goes to show, that a league many would consider inferior to our's, is bringing in more money than our league. Granted Denmark is a more expensive country.

It's 4 years by the way.

Canal 9 are in danger of losing their games because part of the agreement was that they would be able to broadcast to a minimum of 54% of the population but they have not fulfilled this as yet as the channel is not available to everyone yet. They are reaching something like 27% so there is a chance that DR (the Danish BBC) will take between 10-15 games the rest of this season.

dermaster
15-03-2010, 17:01
I still don't see what relevance players that retired a decade ago have to do with the tv deal. Kjaer is playing at a mid table Serie A side so that would be the same as a James McCarthy in the EPL.Nice edit mate, you had me worried for a minute or two :D

McCarthy may yet make it but is not on the same level as Kjaer imo.

The Dude
15-03-2010, 17:02
Nice edit mate, you had me worried for a minute or two :D

McCarthy may yet make it but is not on the same level as Kjaer imo.

aye i forgot heid had bombed at newcastle before joining hibs. ;)

HMS.Temple.Garden
15-03-2010, 17:41
No they don't. ;)
The one team who does qualifiy enters at the second qualifying stage. Again alongside the winners of the Welsh league, the isreali premier league and the albanian champions.

In this seasons CL they were seeded alongside such giants of European football as Rhyl, Levadia Tallinn and F91 Dudelange.

had a look a the league rankings, you're right.

I didn't translate the article I read properly.

Denmark are ranked 14th two places behind Greece, who get two teams.

smegs 16
15-03-2010, 17:50
Am I right in thinking you get more for being relegated from the EPL than you do for winning the SPL?

HMS.Temple.Garden
15-03-2010, 17:52
Am I right in thinking you get more for being relegated from the EPL than you do for winning the SPL?

they get a "parachute" payment which is paid ove 3 years I think, can't remember the figure.

dermaster
15-03-2010, 17:52
Am I right in thinking you get more for being relegated from the EPL than you do for winning the SPL?Substantially more mate. Somewhere in the region of 10 x more iirc.

smegs 16
15-03-2010, 17:56
Substantially more mate. Somewhere in the region of 10 x more iirc.

Cheers, I thought so. I can now put my smug face on and go win an argument! If any one asks you, you`re an expert on footballing finances! ;)

dermaster
15-03-2010, 18:03
they get a "parachute" payment which is paid ove 3 years I think, can't remember the figure.According to this article it's 30m

http://english.alrroya.com/content/english-premier-league-football-recession

bear.ranger
15-03-2010, 18:57
It should be down to individual clubs to negotiate their own TV deals, that would certainly put to bed a few of the SPL clubs as nobody would be interested. The Govt in our wee country invest little if anything in Scottish sport as a whole.

The Dude
15-03-2010, 18:58
It should be down to individual clubs to negotiate their own TV deals, that would certainly put to bed a few of the SPL clubs as nobody would be interested. The Govt in our wee country invest little if anything in Scottish sport as a whole.

That would, in all likelihood, kill Scottish football once and for all.

bear.ranger
15-03-2010, 19:13
That would, in all likelihood, kill Scottish football once and for all.

Scottish football has been dead for some years now, how long must a league sustain 10 clubs that contribute next to nothing. We are strong because of the number of fans we both have, funny thing is years ago other clubs had substantial following also but not anymore. To reduce Rangers and sellick to the benchmark of Motherwell or St Mirren doesn't exactly help, it achieves nothing and makes these clubs all the more lazy in terms of increasing their own support

RFC_Falkirk
15-03-2010, 19:15
The diddy short-termers should quit trying to be short-terms diddys, and focus on improving and maybe being long-term diddys in the SPL.

They're holding the league back.

The Gunslinger
15-03-2010, 19:18

lol goram dalgleish ferguson hutton.

what subjective shite that post was.

The Dude
15-03-2010, 19:19
Scottish football has been dead for some years now, how long must a league sustain 10 clubs that contribute next to nothing. We are strong because of the number of fans we both have, funny thing is years ago other clubs had substantial following also but not anymore. To reduce Rangers and sellick to the benchmark of Motherwell or St Mirren doesn't exactly help, it achieves nothing and makes these clubs all the more lazy in terms of increasing their own support

Attendances are dropping all over britain (with a few exceptions) the fact that it cost 25 quid for a ticket is far more damaging to the clubs. Dad wants to take two kids the the football and he has to shell out 70 or 80 quid for the day. No TV company would be interested in showing hibs v st mirren if itdidn't give them the opportunity to show our games. From what i believe TV revenue makes up about half of the spl sides income over a year so by taking this away you force the clubs to close leaving us in a league with dumbarton, east fife and livi. No thanks.

The Dude
15-03-2010, 19:20
The diddy short-termers should quit trying to be short-terms diddys, and focus on improving and maybe being long-term diddys in the SPL.

They're holding the league back.

IMO we hold the spl back as much as the small clubs do. That and the leagues format.

adamski
22-02-2011, 16:36
thought this was worth a wee bump given the current discussion regarding ten team SPL etc

DejaVoodoo
22-02-2011, 17:02
Well there is a SPL opt out at the end of next season. It's up to the SPL if they want in invoke it and try and get a new deal with Sky/ESPN/BBC/SPL TV etc.

Sunday's unwashed vs Rangers game did 770k viewers. Good ratings for a subscription channel.

dermaster
22-02-2011, 17:24
I still don't see what relevance players that retired a decade ago have to do with the tv deal. Kjaer is playing at a mid table Serie A side so that would be the same as a James McCarthy in the EPL.Still think Kjaer is a Danish James McCarthy? :D

theportyunionjack
22-02-2011, 17:33
Well there is a SPL opt out at the end of next season. It's up to the SPL if they want in invoke it and try and get a new deal with Sky/ESPN/BBC/SPL TV etc.

Sunday's unwashed vs Rangers game did 770k viewers. Good ratings for a subscription channel.

where are the stats for these? how does it compare to epl games?

seniorbillyboy
22-02-2011, 19:25
Ive always had an interest in what the viewing figures were for our games, compared to premiership fixtures

DejaVoodoo
22-02-2011, 21:46
It's on BARB website. However they can be slow at putting them up.

It's usually best to check the Digitalspy forums. The ratings thread in there gets updated every day.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1434899&page=47

Our rating was infact 771k.

EPL games depending on whose playing usually get between 750k to 2.1m for the big 5 head to heads.