PDA

View Full Version : Graeme Souness putting the Mhanks in their place

sam_cooke
16-11-2009, 22:40
Highlight of the day for me was the moment the great man humiliated Roy Aitken by leaving him in a heap.

http://i38.tinypic.com/mmda2a.gif

I hated Aitken more than any other Mhank back then and it was brilliant to see him get his well deserved cummupance :D

Of course his 'Baxter' like (well according to my old man it was) mickey take was the thing most remember about that game.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2h37n00.gif

hey even big Flappy Bonner gave us another memorable moment that day

Beating the Mhanks 2-0 New years day 1987

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGEo1XjcBZk

:D

frankieandronnie
16-11-2009, 22:44
Great stuff. What a player. One of the best.

meohmeohmeohmy
16-11-2009, 22:48
i can remember watching the highlights of that game over and over as a wee guy :D

seem to remember him spraying the pass out to cooper straight on to his laces.

touch of class.

DryCleaningLoyal
16-11-2009, 22:50
2 - 0 going on 5.

oranjeboy
16-11-2009, 22:52
i reckon that was the day that you knew that souness had turned us back towards our rightful place at the top of the league

it was a quite sensational performance

chris woods' save from mcstay in the 2nd half was fookin unbelievable :eek: that was during his shut out record as well

Westberksloyal
16-11-2009, 22:52
Was talking to a Liverpool fan who was telling me that recently LFC TV did a rundown of their hardest players - Souness only got to number 2!! (Tommy Smith was No1).

Great memories, snowing on New Year's Day and Big Concrete Boots himself playing a blinder setting up Fleck and McCoist!!

Amity75
16-11-2009, 22:58
Neew Years Day 1987, my 1st game against the mhanks. Great memories. I also remember a guy running from the East Enclosure wearing a natty stripey gold shirt and getting huckled.

InsanicDrunk
16-11-2009, 23:09
Was talking to a Liverpool fan who was telling me that recently LFC TV did a rundown of their hardest players - Souness only got to number 2!! (Tommy Smith was No1).

Great memories, snowing on New Year's Day and Big Concrete Boots himself playing a blinder setting up Fleck and McCoist!!

Davie Cooper??

The pass @ 4.16 for the second goal is superb, on the telly you wondered who the fck Souness was passing to as Cooper is so far out the picture!

mintal
16-11-2009, 23:42
Absolutely magic - I remember listening to the game on the radio and then watching Sportscence...

aguero
17-11-2009, 00:00
Souness putting a Steaua player 'in his place'

Note the way he trys to act like he was the one being fouled:D

1 minute 57

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg-5mFDDMnk

LiviBear2
17-11-2009, 00:13
I once saw a YouTube clip of Souness scything down Billy Stark after Stark had lost a boot in an Old Firm game from 1988 or 1989:D.

I've tried to find it God knows how many times since with no luck - I would appreciate somebody posting a link up if they know of this clip.

c_den
17-11-2009, 00:14
Great game, when we scored the first, guy sitting behind me in the Copland lost his false teeth, they landed about 5 rows down, the ground was soaking wet, wet snow, bovril, butt ends, and spit, kid you not he was handed them back about 5 minutes later and he popped them back in again as if nothing had happened.

PS Super Ally was rank rotten that day, missed plenty of chances but still scored thanks to big Packie :D

billy1962
17-11-2009, 00:17
Souness gave us one of the best moments in the past 30 years of old firm games.Apart from the goals against the unwashed.

Range-Rover
17-11-2009, 00:21
How I wish we had just 1 MAN like Souness in a Rangers Jersey, wish he would rethink what he said today about going for a vacant managers post.

Exilenla
17-11-2009, 00:28
"The Loving Cup" is that still taken out at New Years for a toast? or has that tradition died too :roll:

bodhi
17-11-2009, 00:32

1 minute 57

That was pretty outrageous by Souness it has to be said! Legend of a player for us, but that was out of order in my opinion.

rsc
17-11-2009, 00:40
A poor man's Baxter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJmLZLTaMjQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQJtZF_6Fyc

RoscoRanger
17-11-2009, 07:11
Bloody class by the way!!

campsieman
17-11-2009, 07:34
i can remember watching the highlights of that game over and over as a wee guy :D

seem to remember him spraying the pass out to cooper straight on to his laces.

touch of class.

:)word for word my friend.my cherished memory of the day too.glorious memory.:D

TAMLEBAM
17-11-2009, 07:46
Probably the nearest any of the "youngsters" on here will ever get to see anyone close to Baxter for skill and arrogance.

OMG just had a thought of the two them in the same team!!!!!

loyalistpicken
17-11-2009, 07:54
That was pretty outrageous by Souness it has to be said! Legend of a player for us, but that was out of order in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure this was an after reaction from a previous International game V Romania think there was a bit of Naughtiness then as well between the 2 of them not long before the Rangers game anyway the big man didny miss him ehhh:D

RMD
17-11-2009, 08:12
A poor man's Baxter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJmLZLTaMjQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQJtZF_6Fyc

Souness was no one's poor anything

Southside_Shug
17-11-2009, 08:21
Sat at the back of the Copland in awe of Souness that day.

Quite simply breathtaking performance by him , and Coops , that afternoon.

We were back!!

loyalistpicken
17-11-2009, 08:26
Sat at the back of the Copland in awe of Souness that day.

Quite simply breathtaking performance by him , and Coops , that afternoon.

We were back!!

Pished all over the top of them that day .if I am correct it was new years day pishing of rain. was it wee fleck and McCoist that scored 2-0 final score should have been 5 maybe 6 and that would not have flattered us Happy days indeed:)

Laudrup1
17-11-2009, 08:37
See when they show the stats for that game and the possession comes up, it should show the Rangers v Celtic stat and then the amount of possession Souness and Coop had. It'd have been about 80% of ours. :)

Brilliant day.

Ubik
17-11-2009, 08:45
i bet souness wouldnt settle for 5-1 nowadays, i love souness but he blew a great chance to get 7-1 or greater.

adamski
17-11-2009, 08:55
The end of the highlights on Sportscene that night (on around the back of 9 like they always were at for the New Year Game), there's a great shot of the front row of the main stand as the team comes off the park.

There's a bloke with a beard right in front of the camera going mental looking like a wee kid when Santa's been on Christmas Morning :D

"EASY EASY EASY EASY"

Great days.

HMS.Temple.Garden
17-11-2009, 09:01
Davie Cooper??

The pass @ 4.16 for the second goal is superb, on the telly you wondered who the fck Souness was passing to as Cooper is so far out the picture!

I remember McPherson's commentary as well "great football by Rangers, mainly engineered by that man spraying the pass, Souness, now Cooper..."

in came the ball, Slappy Bonner misses the cross and in pops McCoist - 2-0, thank you and good night :D

Flawed_Genius
17-11-2009, 09:05
Souness was different gear - capable of being the enforcer and the conductor.

Love the way Aitken hits the deck there - that rolling around after was bruised pride as much as bruised legs.

Southside_Shug
17-11-2009, 09:11
Pished all over the top of them that day .if I am correct it was new years day pishing of rain. was it wee fleck and McCoist that scored 2-0 final score should have been 5 maybe 6 and that would not have flattered us Happy days indeed:)

It was definitely New Years Day.

I had been at a party up in Sprngburn way and got home at noon.

My Auld Dear asked what I was up to...."nothing , skint" was the reply.

"Here's £20 , away and get yourself to Ibrox to see us hammering the Fenians" says Jeannie Wummin...

A good lass!!:eek::eek:

loyalistpicken
17-11-2009, 09:16
It was definitely New Years Day.

I had been at a party up in Sprngburn way and got home at noon.

My Auld Dear asked what I was up to...."nothing , skint" was the reply.

"Here's £20 , away and get yourself to Ibrox to see us hammering the Fenians" says Jeannie Wummin...

A good lass!!:eek::eek:

something similar there shug (durty water in Mrs Tim:eek:) who ever she was left the hoose the party was in a very happy bear . I got home and showered . tapped my maw for £20 still halfcut and went and seen us doo the tarriers happy new year Pubs were opened that night in carmyle as well what a night I never got the treble But was quite happy with the double if you know what i mean :):)

3g
17-11-2009, 09:18
That 'Baxter' moment will always remain for me how he will be remembered. Now, imagine that 'Baxter' moment by Baxter himself against rasell-ik?

basiltherat
17-11-2009, 09:36
I remember McPherson's commentary as well "great football by Rangers, mainly engineered by that man spraying the pass, Souness, now Cooper..."

in came the ball, Slappy Bonner misses the cross and in pops McCoist - 2-0, thank you and good night :D

I could actually hear that commentary in my head as I read it. Funny how some lines stick in your head like that. It was probably the moment when I realised things were turning in our direction in a major way. Was also a bit of a renaissance for Cooper after years and years of playing in poor Rangers teams. Showed how good he really could be with the right players around him.

On the Aitken tackle. Not pretty but I doubt any bear did not enjoy it. Shirley fancied himself as a bit of a hard man but after that the bubble was well and truly burst. Like the playground bully who had just had his face bust he became an object of ridicule if not pity.

adamski
17-11-2009, 09:53
Absolutely magic - I remember listening to the game on the radio and then watching Sportscence...

2pm Kick off.

Steak Pie on the table with the old wireless on waiting for the "last 5 minutes of the first half, and the whole of the second half live"

We were two up by the time they started the full commentary! :)

DamsideBear
17-11-2009, 10:00
I have Great memories of Souness, a superb player.

omegaman
17-11-2009, 10:49
Despite being at almost every game that season, when I watch clips of it now there’s still a sense of mild disbelief when I see Souness in the blue jersey.

Have we had a more authoritative onfield presence in the last twenty five years?

What a player, and what a midfield: Souness, Ferguson, Durrant, Cooper.

After defeating Dundee United in the previous game to go top, victory over the Beggars (and in the manner it was achieved) convinced me for the first time that season that we were the best team in the country and the title would be ours.

Ah, makes me feel all warm and glowy!

Kel
17-11-2009, 10:57
Despite being at almost every game that season, when I watch clips of it now there’s still a sense of mild disbelief when I see Souness in the blue jersey.

Have we had a more authoritative onfield presence in the last twenty five years?

What a player, and what a midfield: Souness, Ferguson, Durrant, Cooper.

After defeating Dundee United in the previous game to go top, victory over the Beggars (and in the manner it was achieved) convinced me for the first time that season that we were the best team in the country and the title would be ours.

Ah, makes me feel all warm and glowy!

Some great memories from that season, the Tampa game in Europe sticks out for me also, McMinn and Cooper taking turns at twisting them!

Ped
17-11-2009, 11:03
Noticed on the clip that at full time at least 3 taigs run straight off the pitch without shaking hands with anyone. What sportsmanship!

Southside_Shug
17-11-2009, 11:06
Noticed on the clip that at full time at least 3 taigs run straight off the pitch without shaking hands with anyone. What sportsmanship!

There was nothing ever new in that one...check the 5-1 game in 1988, or the 3-0 league clincher in 1999 (apart from Viduka)

FrankRizzo
17-11-2009, 12:24
Wish I was a bit younger to remeber Souness playing at this time.

battlefever
17-11-2009, 12:51
Remember watching from the front Govan. What a day Souness and Cooper sheer class and Paddy Blunder's howler was magic!:D

South_Ayrshire_Loyal
17-11-2009, 12:54
Was in the Govan Front that day, a memorable day from start to finish.

16 year old drinking cans of lager that night at my old mans New Year party after the highlights had been on Sportscene, one of my old mans mates who supported Celtic says to me " aye very good, you might have won today, you might win the league - but will you ever get 9 in a row ?, never mind 9 will you ever get 2 in a f****n row ?"

:agree: :barscarf:

britain
17-11-2009, 13:01
His performance against Celtc on 1st Jan 1987 was as good as I've ever seen from a Rangers midfielder.

Doing big Aitken was the icing on the cake for me !

sam_cooke
17-11-2009, 20:00
Myself Magoo and my old man managed to get in at the last minute for nowt, thanks to a steward opening a gate which led to the main stand, as soon as it was opened umpteen ticket-less Bears charged towards it including ourselves and when we reached the stairs the already seated Bears moved up a seat and let us squeeze in :D

TrueBlueRab
17-11-2009, 20:18
Midfield general. Total class.

Dede' Arneaux
17-11-2009, 20:33
Davie Cooper??

Indeed, Coop was always available for a pass

thegodfather
17-11-2009, 21:35
Midfield general. Total class.

Class oozed from Souness, and still does to this day :):watp:

ally12259
17-11-2009, 21:47
IMO he's the greatest all round footballer Scotland has ever produced.

fly_boy
17-11-2009, 21:49
Souness is my footballing hero. A man who had the talent and knew it, he also bossed Serie A when it was the best league in the world

WATP

harry72
17-11-2009, 21:55
Great Tackle!! A leeson that needs to be learned from our cusrrent squad imo!!

WATP

waffoibiza
17-11-2009, 21:59
The dhims rightback spent the entire game hugging the grass, gravity musta be in a problem back in the day or was it super cooper

george_bailey
18-11-2009, 07:47
We were somethng like seven points behind in the league at one stage that season (only 2 points for a win) that game gave us the belief that the Gers were back and that after so long, the Championship would be ours.:)

loyalistpicken
18-11-2009, 07:59
Class oozed from Souness, and still does to this day :):watp:

Hence why the Taigs still hate and fear the man. and all the more reason He must be at Ibrox in some capacity in the near future

BlueNoseJoe
18-11-2009, 10:29

1 minute 57

Can't stop laughing at that :D

wordy_rappinghood
18-11-2009, 10:38
That tackle on Aitken is fondly remembered in my family, my dad often mentions it.

That dummy pass though - the most supreme, magnificent arrogance. It makes you want to cheer out loud.

BlueNoseJoe
18-11-2009, 10:45
Check this one out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvdesakrwn0&feature=related

Would love some one of his character at Ibrox today.

britain
18-11-2009, 12:55
Souness put George McCluskey (ex Mhank) in his place on the first day of the 1986/87 season.

He started as he meant to go on !

sam_cooke
19-11-2009, 22:21
Souness put George McCluskey (ex Mhank) in his place on the first day of the 1986/87 season.

Yip sent off on his first and last game of that season :D

thegerfrank
19-11-2009, 23:05
total fab man great memories thanks no surrender

scooby
19-11-2009, 23:59
I went to that game two hours early to try and buy a 'spare ticket'.

It was absolutely freezing, not raining but sleet falling almost constantly.

I never got a ticket, I remember travelling home in a car with no heating frozen to the core but happy as the goals were mentioned on the radio.

aguero
20-11-2009, 00:07

One of my favourite Only an Excuse moments refered to this -

Souness: "Some people thought my return to Scotland was a joke.... it certainly left George McCluskey in stiches!"

pb056
20-11-2009, 00:14
Seeing Souness leave that big prick Aitken in a crumpled heap would have been worth the cost of admission alone.

One of the best midfielders ever in British football IMO never mind a Rangers jersey.

scottylad72
20-11-2009, 00:40
Always said he made King Kenny the Legend he was at Liverpool. I believe Souness provided him with about 80% of his chances from through balls. Class act then and a class act now. Always admired him as a player and manager.

A true blue like us all.

thebluenosebear
17-06-2011, 22:04
bumpty bump

alcolusa
17-06-2011, 22:08
great memories
i had seen us beat them before but i had never seen us "put them in their place"

i feckin loved that man back then:)

rabears
17-06-2011, 22:10
"CLASS" ... say"s it all!.

George Walter
17-06-2011, 22:16
I have the original Sportscene recording of the New Years game from 1987.
If anyone wants it on disc drop me a PM.

I have lots of over TV highlights from that season including

Skol cup final 1986
Pittodrie clincher on the 2nd May 87 plus a programme called the "Rangers Revival" which was broadcast on STV The day after.

Molsmenzgoals
17-06-2011, 22:21
I had 8 tickets for this game, I was the only one who made it (non drinker :D) A few minutes before KO I stuck the briefs up, I was surrounded in seconds :eek: I remember the game to this day, we were ****ing brilliant :)

PG_Bear
17-06-2011, 22:32
Highlight of the day for me was the moment the great man humiliated Roy Aitken by leaving him in a heap.

I hated Aitken more than any other Mhank back then and it was brilliant to see him get his well deserved cummupance :D

Of course his 'Baxter' like (well according to my old man it was) mickey take was the thing most remember about that game.

My 1st old firm game ;)

realger34
17-06-2011, 22:36
He is one of my favourite players of all time,still have the Souness video somewhere in the loft.

Virgil Hilts
17-06-2011, 22:42
I'm not convinced he did

Beat them on points, yes, but it was Walter who delivered the KO

jimmysmith1873
17-06-2011, 22:44
Great stuff. What a player. One of the best.

Hear Hear i loved him he brought our club to the fore Sounessssssssssssss

The Blue Sea
17-06-2011, 22:50
I wonder if Peter Grant still wakes up in a cold sweat.....

modfella
17-06-2011, 22:58
Cooper & Souness show, two players at the top of their game.

cococfb
17-06-2011, 23:24
He is simply fantastic!!!!

Newlands_loyal
18-06-2011, 00:34
Now Souness in his pomp was indeed world class, but what that clip shows is just what reputation/aura can do for you. That piece of show boating in the middle of the park is not the most spell binding bit of skill you've ever seen, but it does illustrate to our younger fans how he put the swagger back into a club which for many years had been dying on its proverbial.

britain
18-06-2011, 06:51

Never tire of watching/recalling that, cheers Sam:cheers::cheers::cheers:

sharksandwich
18-06-2011, 06:56
i trailed you tube for that click and couldnt find it......superb

he was one gallous bar steward;)

weebaggy
18-06-2011, 08:22
Just remember Archie wetting himself at The Rangers that day. A great day to be a Bear. Just like any other day come to think of it

britain
18-06-2011, 10:01
Souness strutted about the Ibrox pitch that 1st January day. A joy to behold

John_Chisum
28-06-2014, 22:51

You'd never tire watching that.

Cheers

jiec
28-06-2014, 23:19
Legend!!!!!!!

chic
28-06-2014, 23:21
Souneeeeesssssss.

Phuckin Lord.

W.A.T.P.

Captain Jock
29-06-2014, 01:59
The guy's a fkn Legend.
It was a pleasure and a privilege to shake his hand and get my photo taken with him tonight in The Louden.

Ape and Essence
29-06-2014, 04:09
Magnum P.I. approves of this thread:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/361247/Souness_Shotgun.jpg

britain
29-06-2014, 07:50

Memories.:) Great thread, good to see it back:)

Gullane
29-06-2014, 07:53
Souness for manager !

200000 Heroes
29-06-2014, 08:23
A magnificent bastard. That is all :D

GarryT
29-06-2014, 08:30
When you are young and finding out about former legends through recollections of older fans, books, clips or whatever, you know these people were special but just cannot get a feel for the impact these legends actually had. Everything that can be said of Graeme Souness and his time at Ibrox has been well documented and I am so blessed that I was there before and after his Rangers era. He arrived at a time when it looked like we were entering another long period of Celtic dominance. Well, did he not put a halt to that! He was an outstanding player and leader with amazing self belief and arrogance to go with it. What he achieved for us in a short space of time was simply phenomenal. I have seen all the clips about hardest men in football and although he was right up the with the best of them, he oozed class that the rest could only dream about. A great great player and great dirty bastard when it merited. A true living Rangers Legend.

rinosprayer
29-06-2014, 08:33
Surely to **** there is someone who will step up and be that player for us again. We certainly need something.

D4RN-L
29-06-2014, 08:54
So good they wrote a song of that game.

del68
29-06-2014, 09:07
Watched Souness rip the pish out of Rambo that day, from the EE that day, 27 years ago FFS!!

Brother Moses
29-06-2014, 09:07
Magnum P.I. approves of this thread:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/361247/Souness_Shotgun.jpg

My background picture on my phone :D

gazza162
29-06-2014, 10:06
Probably the nearest any of the "youngsters" on here will ever get to see anyone close to Baxter for skill and arrogance.

OMG just had a thought of the two them in the same team!!!!!

with a young ian durrant pre injury just in front of them , unbeatable.

GBOY
29-06-2014, 10:11
TMB's finest game in a Rangers shirt.
Was sitting in the Govan Rear (yellow section) that day. Hardly heard a peep from the mhockits all day!

Popbear
29-06-2014, 12:44

1 minute 57

He would get about a 5 game ban for that nowadays, shocking tackle.

Captain Courageous
29-06-2014, 13:33
He would get about a 5 game ban for that nowadays, shocking tackle.

It wasn't his fault, he lost his balance and the Romanian lad got there too soon.:ninja:

Someone mentioned the game against Dundee Utd the week before? Can someone confirm if my memory is correct that this match was the one where Graham Roberts almost halved Sturrock with his first tackle? Seem to remember a huge collective intake of breath and thinking oh heavens this is a sending off.

Souness in the old firm game was magnificent, as was Cooper. Can remember resurfacing after the match had finished (it had been a long and heavy night) and my dad going on about needing to watch Sportscene as we had destroyed the tims.

Caldow3
29-06-2014, 14:36
Souness was a class act at Rangers. Wish we had him back.

helenrfc68
29-06-2014, 15:14
Season 1986-87 was my best season.

Such fantastic memories.

DC Anchor
29-06-2014, 15:36
as others have said;
2-0 going on 5

Dumbo put in his place

Aitken unworthy of hatred, nobody then nobody now.

EE was a brilliant place to be that day, I remember the steam coming out of it!

superger
29-06-2014, 15:43
Souness was indeed a bastard....but he was OUR bastard, and we loved every second of his arrogance. Younger Bears just can't appreciate the impact Souness made not only at our club but on Scottish football itself.

You had to be there....as they say.

Tony_B
29-06-2014, 20:56
He is mostly remembered as a hard bastard but he couldn't half play, as well.

Dougie Gray
29-06-2014, 21:18
He is mostly remembered as a hard bastard but he couldn't half play, as well.

Large John actually described Souness as a "Velvet Assassin".

Spot on.

toadegree
29-06-2014, 21:30
Arrogant, hard as hell, and an incredible footballer.

britain
30-06-2014, 07:43
Souness was indeed a bastard....but he was OUR bastard, and we loved every second of his arrogance.

Younger Bears just can't appreciate the impact Souness made not only at our club but on Scottish football itself.

So true mate. He was indeed our arrogant bastard and we loved him for it.

He was so dismissive of the mhanks:D

britain
30-06-2014, 07:45
Big Aitken squealing like a wean...:D

britain
30-06-2014, 07:47
His performance against Celtc on 1st Jan 1987 was as good as I've ever seen from a Rangers midfielder.

Doing big Aitken was the icing on the cake for me !

Stand by this post by myself form earlier in the thread.:D

omegaman
30-06-2014, 12:23
Stand by this post by myself form earlier in the thread.:D

It was the victory that cemented we were, not just serious contenders for the title, but quite probably the new favourites.

Souness's performance epitomised that newfound sense of belief, a belief accompanied with a swagger and no little arrogance.

We knew we had the beating of everyone else and no one was going to stop us.

Great times.

britain
30-06-2014, 14:48
April 1987, away game at the Piggery. Souness went over and warmed up right in front of the Jungle.

They were going absolutely mental at him and he just smirked and carried on.

Cool and as arrogant as...:D

GEODGC
30-06-2014, 14:53
April 1987, away game at the Piggery. Souness went over and warmed up right in front of the Jungle.

They were going absolutely mental at him and he just smirked and carried on.

Cool and as arrogant as...:D

I'm not sure if it's the same game I'm thinking of, but he did a bit more than that. He slowly and deliberately warmed up right in front of them. As you say, they were all going nuts. They then started singing Mo Mo Super Mo, Souness pulled open the top of his shorts and pointed to his tadger:)

30-06-2014, 14:56
I'm not sure if it's the same game I'm thinking of, but he did a bit more than that. He slowly and deliberately warmed up right in front of them. As you say, they were all going nuts. They then started singing Mo Mo Super Mo, Souness pulled open the top of his shorts and pointed to his tadger:)

Aye I remember that too! Brilliant. :)

Newlands_loyal
30-06-2014, 15:49
Aye I remember that too! Brilliant. :)

Yup an absolute classic, the junglies were going ballistic.

The Jackall
30-06-2014, 16:32
I love when the full back shows Davie Cooper the outside and he skins him on the outside ****en thick tarriers

And the Fenian ****ers running off not shaking hands at full time

****en hate them

But still won't renew

britain
30-06-2014, 17:26

Yup same game.:)

Hootsmon
30-06-2014, 17:53

1 minute 57

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg-
5mFDDMnk

Also note that none of the Steaua players had a go at him after the tackle.

graham hanna
30-06-2014, 22:36
Pure Class!! :):thumb::watp:

britain
01-07-2014, 15:58
Arrogant, hard as hell, and an incredible footballer.

Great summing up of him.

britain
02-07-2014, 08:00
I remember the sheer and utter disbelief I had listening to the TV early evening news announcement of him as Rangers manager in April 1986.

Shane Vendrell
02-07-2014, 08:31
Souness is just a magnificient bastert:D

gothefox
02-07-2014, 08:46
The other thing I remember from that Jan 87 game was Graham Roberts nearly putting Johnston into the Govan stand with an awesome sliding tackle, marvellous. Straight through him.

M4CAD
02-07-2014, 08:47
Souness was indeed a bastard....but he was OUR bastard, and we loved every second of his arrogance. Younger Bears just can't appreciate the impact Souness made not only at our club but on Scottish football itself.

My old man often states a similar sentence. I was too young to appreciate him on a week to week basis!!

Bobo-kfc
02-07-2014, 12:46
Superb thread. great to hear so many memories :)

davieloyal
02-07-2014, 13:20
a cracking player and a hard b*****d

Jdan
02-07-2014, 15:21
Nobody ****ed with the Rangers under his leadership.
Class arrogance style and hard as a rock. Those were happy days to be a bear.
Everyone hated us and we loved it.

codeblue
02-07-2014, 15:26
Glorious Bastard

britain
08-07-2014, 07:23
He was the man on the pitch.

Lanarkshire
11-07-2014, 06:36
25 years ago to the day he signed a mank.

Whether you liked Johnston or not, this act set the filth back years.
It also made a mockery of big Bungle McNeill. :-)