PDA

View Full Version : What can Rangers take from Barcelona's victory last night?

GingerFurball
28-05-2009, 21:59
http://www.*****************/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=448890

So, another Champions League campaign has drawn to a close, and once again it's been won by one of the biggest teams on the continent. The competition's getting boring, and is quite clearly becoming a cartel for the biggest clubs. Right?

Wrong.

Barcelona's triumph last night was a godsend for the mid level clubs in Europe. Sure, Barcelona are the 3rd richest club in the DeLoitte richlist, and can afford to spend £20m on Dani Alves, a right back, but Barcelona's triumph last night had far more in common with the triumph of Ajax in 1995, or Porto in 2004, than might first be apparent.

In the second half of the ITV coverage, it was noted that 4 of the top 10 players in the most recent World Player of the Year vote graced the Rome turf, 3 of whom were in the Barcelona side.

However, this was not like the Real Madrid side at the turn of the decade, which featured an expensively assembled all star cast of Zidane, Figo, Beckham and Ronaldo. Nor was it like the expensively assembled casts of Manchester United, or beaten semi-finalists Chelsea.

The 3 Barcelona players in the top 10 in the World Player of the Year poll were Xavi, Iniesta and Messi. How much would they be worth in today's market? A conservative estimate would put a price tag of at least £100m on the 3 players. How much did they cost Barcelona? £0. All 3 are products of Barcelona's youth academy.

In fact, a close look at Barcelona's starting XI for the final reveals that no fewer than 7 of the starting 11 fielded by Barcelona came through the club's youth system (I am counting Gerard Pique, who was a Barcelona academy player before being stolen by Manchester United.) Victor Valdes, Carles Puyol, Gerard Pique, Sergio Busquets, Xavi, Andres Iniesta and Lionel Messi have all progressed through the ranks at Barcelona (and in Piquet's case, via Manchester United) to the first team, and last night Champions League glory. You would have to go back to the Ajax side of 1995, that contained Rijkaard, Blind, the de Boers, Davids, Seedorf and Kluivert, to find a Champions League winning side with such a massive home grown influence.

Barcelona this season have been a shining light throughout Europe. Their football is a joy to watch. Their youth policy is exceptional.

So what does this mean for Rangers?

As a Rangers fan, Sunday was a fantastic day for me. The first league title in 4 long years was certainly something worth celebrating. While our medium to long term future is less clear, with all the rumours of possible takeovers and rumours as to the long term health of the club flying around, that shouldn't dampen celebrating what is a long overdue and very welcome championship success.

However, as a Rangers fan, I crave more. Experiences such as the one we experienced at the City of Manchester Stadium last May should not be a once in a generation experience. We may not be able to compete with the money on offer in the Premiership, but not many can. Manchester United's bench cost more than Barcelona's first XI last night.

Barcelona's success has, however, pointed the way forward. We must do better when it comes to developing our own talent. In my 16 years watching Rangers, we have produced two players who are of the quality to grace the Champions League - Barry Ferguson and Alan Hutton. 2 players in 16 years is pathetic for a club of Rangers' size and stature. Not one of the starting XI on Sunday had come through the ranks at Rangers.

This is an aspect of the club which is critical. I do not expect us to instantly produce world class players. However, with proper coaching and scouting at the club, from the bottom up, there is no reason why we cannot produce an Alan Hutton or Barry Ferguson every year. None whatsoever.

Wouldn't you drool at Rangers youngsters playing football the way Barcelona play it, having been taught that way from the age of 7 or 8? Wouldn't you love to see a Rangers side filled with young Scottish talent playing that way week in and week out, competing with the biggest sides in Europe?

Barcelona have proven that you don't need a massive chequebook in order to achieve the ultimate success in European club football. Those at Rangers would do well to study the model for sucess at Barcelona. Barcelona have pointed the way forward for every European club outwith the EPL. It is a course Rangers must follow.

Loves To Spooge
28-05-2009, 22:02
great post.

If only we could produce players with a fraction of that talent.

The Submariner
28-05-2009, 22:04
interesting.
On a non serious note, we have learnt that if we draw them next year we will potentially get pumped.

Albertz Was King
28-05-2009, 22:04
Great post sir.

Number_Eight
28-05-2009, 22:07
Good piece, Ginger, and the Barcelona model of supporter-ownership is something else we should be looking at.

porty_true_blue
28-05-2009, 22:07
post of the day.

northsealoyal
28-05-2009, 22:10
Great post when will we learn the value of a proper home growm system for bringing through talent . When will we learn you dont have to be 6ft 2 to be a player

cumbernauld loyal
28-05-2009, 22:11
Good post mate, agree with every word.

GingerFurball
28-05-2009, 22:14
great post.

We can do it occasionally - Barry Ferguson in his early 20s was a European class midfielder, Alan Hutton was one of the top players in the group stages of the 2007/08 Champions League and was an absolute stand out for Scotland against Italy.

We must do it more often.

Frank83
28-05-2009, 22:15
Excellent post. Hopefully give the current climate we will be forced into using our young players more often and will finally come to realise this!

misterdave
28-05-2009, 22:16
great post.

We produce lots of players with a fraction of the talent. They usually end up playing for lower league teams in England.

misterdave
28-05-2009, 22:18
Excellent post GF.

I'd include McGregor and hopefully Fleck will be the next to join the ranks of top class youth team success stories.

Totti_10
28-05-2009, 22:25
We can do it occasionally - Barry Ferguson in his early 20s was a European class midfielder, Alan Hutton was one of the top players in the group stages of the 2007/08 Champions League and was an absolute stand out for Scotland against Italy.

We must do it more often.
2 top players produced in the last 10-15 years is appalling.

ford fairlane
28-05-2009, 22:26
Before ownership,how about getting in the right people how to show our players how to pass and hold the ball.
For all barca do it really is their mastery and dedication to the basics that make them good.
It aint rocket science but to coaches in scotland it may as well be.

pedroblue
28-05-2009, 22:31
Great post - i have a feeling our society is a problem of Scots youngsters. Our diets, drinking and general well-being/behaviour always poses a problem for our younger players.

tazzabear
28-05-2009, 22:35
Its a great post alright and with great points.
My question would be "Where does it start?"
How can Barcelona and Ajax continually, okay Ajax are going through one of their difficult stages, produce such talent?
Where do the coaches come from?
Who sets up the scouting system that discovered Messi, Toure and now Bojan?
Who sets up the domestic scouting system that dicoverd Xavi and Iniesta?
How much is the investment into this?
This is no accident and didn't happen overnight.
I'd offer a couple of notes of caution here and point out one of the main differences between Barcelona and Ajax and Rangers, apart from the more obvious ones.
When Barcelona didn't win the league a for a couple of years there was no major panic, either from within the club or from the fans.
Ditto with the Ajax situation in Holland?
Can we honestly say we'd accept being second for a while?
We'd all say yes, if it were to breed player like those mentioned but this is hopeful and I'm not sure we would have that patience, despite us all wanting to be patient.
Is it a social thing?
In the history of Scottish football, how many players have achieved genuine world class status?
Then theres the fact that you are looking for all these talents to come together at once and not spread over two or three football generations.
What Barcelona have is a dream come true.
I'd love it to be a Rangers dream come true as well but just don't know where it would start and how it gets built.

Strathclyde_Bear
28-05-2009, 22:39
Barcelona's success has, however, pointed the way forward. We must do better when it comes to developing our own talent. In my 16 years watching Rangers, we have produced two players who are of the quality to grace the Champions League - Barry Ferguson and Alan Hutton. 2 players in 16 years is pathetic for a club of Rangers' size and stature. Not one of the starting XI on Sunday had come through the ranks at Rangers.

This is an aspect of the club which is critical. I do not expect us to instantly produce world class players. However, with proper coaching and scouting at the club, from the bottom up, there is no reason why we cannot produce an Alan Hutton or Barry Ferguson every year. None whatsoever.

Wouldn't you drool at Rangers youngsters playing football the way Barcelona play it, having been taught that way from the age of 7 or 8? Wouldn't you love to see a Rangers side filled with young Scottish talent playing that way week in and week out, competing with the biggest sides in Europe?

Barcelona have proven that you don't need a massive chequebook in order to achieve the ultimate success in European club football. Those at Rangers would do well to study the model for sucess at Barcelona. Barcelona have pointed the way forward for every European club outwith the EPL. It is a course Rangers must follow.

Completely agree. It's something a lot of people have been complaining/talking about for a long time now but it needs people to keep going on and on (and on and on and on...) about it until every Rangers fan is thinking the same way and it pressures the club to act.

When Barca lifted the trophy last night the ITV commentator made reference to the youth set up; that many players have been there since 13 years old and they have been brought up learning to play "the Barcelona way". There's nothing to stop us doing similar.

The worry I have is that with Murray and Bain in charge they would put effort in to youth football if it got some publicity or maybe gave us one half-decent player every so often. We don't need hype or nonsense about this latest crop of youngsters being the best ever (honest!), we just want to see young players making it at Rangers rather than being the next Maurice Ross, Bob Malcolm, Stephen Hughes, Jimmy Gibson, Lee Feeney, Darren Fitzgerald, Stephen Dobbie, Stephen Carson, Ross McCormack, Scott Wilson...

Unfortunately it would require someone with a plan and the drive to make it work so that it's done properly, for the right reasons and by the right people. There are no excuses other than a lack of ambition.

bilkobear
28-05-2009, 22:43
Cracking post and an education to boot.
GingerFurball reminds us why we get our football from this board rather than the main press.

I am not sure if we have a level playing field with Barcelona regarding youth players, because Spain is a bigger country than Scotland with a greater population from which to harvest young talent, never mind their appeal in the very talented third world Spanish speaking world.

That said, I have always maintained forget about the limitations of a five million populated Scotland and consider that we are from a sixty million populated UK.

The 'Furball' is right and there is a future for Rangers that should be one lifting its head for the stars of a European sky rather than settle for the nose grind of a grimy domestic SPL.

Sadly I suspect that the current regime will endeavour to re-inforce upon us that the former is out of reach because of lack of money.

That is the lie that we should be railing against.
Money was never the answer and it never masked a lack of talent in our past.

Pavlyuchenkos Vodka Bottle
28-05-2009, 22:44
Fantastic.

Under Walter...HA.

Loves To Spooge
28-05-2009, 22:45
Great post - i have a feeling our society is a problem of Scots youngsters. Our diets, drinking and general well-being/behaviour always poses a problem for our younger players.

was going to say the same.

do you think these barca guys were out on the p*ss regularly when they were growing up?

Doubt it, but thats the way in Scotland and im sure many youth players here wont want to give up that lifestyle, no doubt part of the problem.

Deit is huge too ofcourse

Totti_10
28-05-2009, 22:48
Completely agree. It's something a lot of people have been complaining/talking about for a long time now but it needs people to keep going on and on (and on and on and on...) about it until every Rangers fan is thinking the same way and it pressures the club to act.

When Barca lifted the trophy last night the ITV commentator made reference to the youth set up; that many players have been there since 13 years old and they have been brought up learning to play "the Barcelona way". There's nothing to stop us doing similar.

The worry I have is that with Murray and Bain in charge they would put effort in to youth football if it got some publicity or maybe gave us one half-decent player every so often. We don't need hype or nonsense about this latest crop of youngsters being the best ever (honest!), we just want to see young players making it at Rangers rather than being the next Maurice Ross, Bob Malcolm, Stephen Hughes, Jimmy Gibson, Lee Feeney, Darren Fitzgerald, Stephen Dobbie, Stephen Carson, Ross McCormack, Scott Wilson...

Unfortunately it would require someone with a plan and the drive to make it work so that it's done properly, for the right reasons and by the right people. There are no excuses other than a lack of ambition.
The infrastructure at our club is nothing short of abysmal. Scouting, youth, coaching etc are all areas we're very weak in. The whole club needs completely redesigned. We barely even have a scouting network ffs.

GingerFurball
28-05-2009, 22:52
The infrastructure at our club is nothing short of abysmal. Scouting, youth, coaching etc are all areas we're very weak in. The whole club needs completely redesigned. We barely even have a scouting network ffs.

Correct.

You'd think, given the size of Rangers (and Celtic, who are even worse than us in this regard), we'd either supply the majority of players to the Scottish national side, or would have developed and sold on players to make up the majority.

Of the side which played Iceland, I believe only Hutton and McCormack were products of the Rangers youth system.

We have 3 of the 4 most promising Scots between the ages of 22 and 25 - Whittaker, Thomson and Naismith (with the other one being Brown.) Again, none of those 3 were developed by Rangers, we've instead spent £6m buying in those players. Players who we should have been developing ourselves.

GingerFurball
28-05-2009, 22:55
I am not sure if we have a level playing field with Barcelona regarding youth players, because Spain is a bigger country than Scotland with a greater population from which to harvest young talent, never mind their appeal in the very talented third world Spanish speaking world.

True, however, what's Real Madrid's excuse?

In the past 10-15 years they've had Casillas come through their ranks. They operate in the same country as Barcelona, yet don't do anywhere near as good a job.

MDC
28-05-2009, 22:55
Have put this out as an article, as I think it highlights some very important points and is worthy of a wider audience.

:)

colin4
28-05-2009, 22:56
Aint going to happen with Sinclair in charge of the youth setup

Gingerfurball....Real Madrid have the most graduates playing in la liga. Just maybe not produced the stars barca have!

GingerFurball
28-05-2009, 22:57
Have put this out as an article, as I think it highlights some very important points and is worthy of a wider audience.

:)

Feel free to use it in the magazine if desired.

MDC
28-05-2009, 22:58
One small note of caution: how do we begin to compete when these players we rear and develop can be offered many times more than we can afford when they come to consider a professional contract?

Especially difficult to begin with, as our record with youth is poor by comparison to other large clubs where players have been given a chance: which of course then acts as both an inspiration and a recruitment tool.

Yorkhill blue
28-05-2009, 23:01
One small note of caution: how do we begin to compete when these players we rear and develop can be offered many times more than we can afford when they come to consider a professional contract?

Especially difficult to begin with, as our record with youth is poor by comparison to other large clubs where players have been given a chance: which of course then acts as both an inspiration and a recruitment tool.

That's where sides like Barcelona have the upper hand.

That team last night fair enough the majority came through their youth set up
but several were sold and bought back and the rest of the team still cost an
estimated 89 million euros to acquire.

second_pole
28-05-2009, 23:23
How many of the youth team who whupped Celtic 5-0 two years ago and provided seven or eight players for Scotland will actually make the progression to first-team regulars - apart from Fleck?

bilkobear
28-05-2009, 23:42
There are loads of points to consider and many counter arguments to list regarding the OP.

Sure, even if Rangers did bring together an outstanding selection of top young players how many years could we hold on to them?

Hutton was poached within a very short time.
Ajax only had one season in the sun.
Etc etc etc.

But I just wish for a regime that doesn't see all the obstacles, but uses innovation, invention and enterprise to find answers that no one else can think of.
Surely it was just this that made us a great club in the founding years when it could so easily have been another team that came to the fore in Scottish football.

We need real raw talent at every level of our organisation, not money.

Strathclyde_Bear
28-05-2009, 23:49
There are loads of points to consider and many counter arguments to list regarding the OP.

Sure, even if Rangers did bring together an outstanding selection of top young players how many years could we hold on to them?

Etc etc etc.

But I just wish for a regime that doesn't see all the obstacles, but uses innovation, invention and enterprise to find answers that no one else can think of.
Surely it was just this that made us a great club in the founding years when it could so easily have been another team that came to the fore in Scottish football.

We didn't become a selling club until very recently and part of that was due to the financial situation of the club. I don't think we have too many reasons to fear losing every top player we bring through.

Even then, using the Hutton example, I think far fewer fans would have reacted so negatively to it if we had a replacement right-back ready to step up from the youth teams. We didn't. Selling some players for silly money wouldn't be a problem if we had more talent coming through.

You make a good point about Ajax but a more recent example shows Sevilla are now on their third(?) youth right-back in recent times after selling two for stupid cash.

paulw14rfc
29-05-2009, 00:31
we should follow barcelona in the way they run there club from the top,the fans play a real part why can't we.

GingerFurball
29-05-2009, 03:44

Etc etc etc.

Ajax had 3 seasons in the sun.

1994/95 - won the Champions League.
1995/96 - reached the Champions League final, beaten by Juventus on penalties (incidentally, a great Juventus side who would make 3 CL finals in a row.)
1996/97 - reached the Champions League semi finals.

Holding onto young players isn't an issue either IMO. Loads of people on this board have suggested that we adopt an Ajax model. Selling Hutton for £9m wasn't the issue in my book. I have absolutely no problem if either club or player chases the money. What is crucial is that we have a young player ready to fill the void that's left.

4 players IMO sum up what the modern Rangers should be run like: Barry Ferguson MK I, Jean-Alain Boumsong, Alan Hutton and Carlos Cuellar.

Cost of those 4? £2.2m.

Selling value? £32m.

GingerFurball
29-05-2009, 04:07
Aint going to happen with Sinclair in charge of the youth setup

Gingerfurball....Real Madrid have the most graduates playing in la liga. Just maybe not produced the stars barca have!

Fair enough.

However, highlighting Barca's youth system for a moment, this is the team that they could put out if transfers were completely banned:

Victor Valdes

Carles Puyol Oleguer Gerard Pique Fernando Navarro

Xavi Hernandez Cesc Fabregas Andres Iniesta

Lionel Messi Bojan Krkic Giovanni dos Santos

That's a quality line up there. What's Real's graduate lineup like?

Oleg_Mcnoleg
29-05-2009, 07:09

Etc etc etc.

If we were to start bringing through genuine talent from the youths, playing in the SPL, it would be hard to hang onto the very best players. But it would matter less if (a)we knew there was a replacement coming through, and (b)if we were doing it in a systematic way at a time of our choosing rather than hawking everyone/anyone to anybody every transfer window and taking what we can get rather than maximising our return. 9Million for Hutton is the reason we need to do this, not a reason for not doing it.

We're well behind on this: even the richest clubs know they have to produce their own talent and can't rely on buying it all in.

interbear
29-05-2009, 09:25
In principle the OP is spot on, there is a place at the top of European football for clubs who focus on development of players from well-run youth set-ups, rather than relying solely on spending large sums of cash buying the best players.

In fact, both teams in the CL final have a decent record in this respect, Man Utd as well as Barca are very good at bringing through youth players into their 1st team.

However they also have the financial power to keep them and layer on a few multi-million £ superstars.

The challenge for Rangers is twofold. Firstly we just can't afford the superstars. Secondly, when we do develop youth players, we don't have the financial might to hold onto them long enough to sustain a real challenge at the top level of European football. Any Rangers youngster that gets a couple of years in the 1st team and is talented enough to play for the top clubs in England, Spain, Italy etc will almost certainly be allowed to leave when a multi-million £ offer comes in.

I don't doubt that Rangers are capable of creating talented young players, we have all the facilities in place to do so, but I do doubt our ability to hold onto them long enough to make a real difference.

Earl of Leven
29-05-2009, 09:46
Look at Seville....sold Sergio Ramos for £22m and then Dani Alves for £20m and their new right back is being hotly tipped as a star in the making...and that is just right backs!!! Whereas Real Madrid struggle to produce genuine stars.

It is about attitude and desire....Inter have money and glamour and yet have two very hotly rated young players in their regular starting XI. Milan have none.

Heerenveen have best scouting system in Holland but Feyenoord who are richer and have more fans struggle to put our a half decent team.

colin4
29-05-2009, 10:00
Barcas system is tremendous furball, and has many more top class players than madrid but Madrid supposedly has more players playing in la liga than barca.

Off the top of my head heres madrids
Cassilas
Torres Arbeloa
Parejo De La red Guti Mata Granero
Raul Negredo Etoo

253 sort of formation

broughtonloyal
29-05-2009, 10:38
Nobody can argue that we need to produce more talent, that the structure around it needs improved and that moving forwards if we are to remain financially viable its an area we need to address.

But a sense of realism needs to be kept in this discussion as well. It's easy to say we're in a country of 60 million, but we're simply not. There is no way we can consistently attract players from England that their clubs are not already looking at. Barcelona are the big fish in Spain, we're the big fish in Scotland so that's the market we need to deal in. Does our scoutting net need to be improved to look further a field, of course it does, but the majority will continue to come from our own domestic market.

And then you get to attracting players to Rangers- a task that on paper should be very easy. But if you were the parent of a young Naismith, Whittaker, Thomson, or Brown would you want them into the OF youth set up- where young kids are sent to die?! The four players mentioned are all excelling because they had top tier football early in their career, they were exposed to it much earlier than any of our youngsters ever have been and in truth ever will be.

Lets look at some of the other names mentioned..Maurice Ross, Bob Malcolm, Stephen Hughes, Jimmy Gibson, Lee Feeney, Darren Fitzgerald, Stephen Dobbie, Stephen Carson, Ross McCormack, Scott Wilson..., or even some of the players we all have hope for now, Fleck, Wilson, Campbell, Lennon. If any of those players were at Hibs when they were younger they'd have all been playing regular first team football. They youngesters we now have would all be knocking on the door and be seeing much more competitive football than they are now.

I believe we find good young players, indeed I believe we find some excellent young players. I believe we then go wrong because we don't have any avenue in place to expose them to week in week out regualr games.

What is the answer to this, we it's not Rangers B like Barca have, as out league will never allow it which is a crying shame as this is a key factor in their strong youth set up. We need to then look at other options. This is the first season in a long long time I believe we actually made serious efforts to get out young players out on loan- season long loans. Look at the benefits. The Furman we get back will undoubtedly be a better player than the one we lent out. The bigger clubs now all have feeder clubs, which work permit avoidance aside, are set up to allow their youth teams the chance to progress further than they ever will in u19 or worse SPL reserve leagues. Why don't we?

Bottom line, I agree with a lot of what Furball says but cannot ever see us able to produce a Hutton or a Ferguson every year, nobody world over produces a new star ever year. I do however whole heartedly agree that there needs to be a complete re look at the long term youth development IN THIS COUNTRY. It cannot just be about us, the under 21 bench rule was a misguided start, but a start none the less.

baloobear
29-05-2009, 10:44
Great post.

But please also remember that Hutton was harrassed by a material proportion of the Rangers fans when he first came into the side.

As a club we need a manager who will play young players and a support that will actually support them as they develop. That's easier if we have a manager who plays a consistent formation and that formation is enforced down through all the rest of the sides (reserves, U19s etc). This makes it easier for young players to come in and do their job in a known formation.

And one of the reasons that Barca can afford a £20m right back is because they only have to buy in less than half of a first team squad. It's a virtuous circle.

GingerFurball
29-05-2009, 14:45
Barcas system is tremendous furball, and has many more top class players than madrid but Madrid supposedly has more players playing in la liga than barca.

Off the top of my head heres madrids
Cassilas
Torres Arbeloa
Parejo De La red Guti Mata Granero
Raul Negredo Etoo

253 sort of formation

Raul came through Atletico's academy. He only moved to Real when Jesus Gil decided to get rid of Atleti's youth teams.

Ricky_USbear
29-05-2009, 14:58
Taking some of their players frst and foremost would be good.

GingerFurball
28-05-2011, 22:34
Thought I'd give this a wee bump. It's every bit as relevant now with the new ownership as it was 2 years ago.

Big BlueBear
28-05-2011, 22:41
What we can, and many other clubs can take from Barcelona is to step up and create a proper academy, where kids come to live and study without any distractions. Therefore they can fully focus on their football, and most importantly develop passing, skill, and technique, not strength, height and power, these are assets which can be developed at a later date (obviously not height as that is generic, but it should not be the key to becoming a footballer).

broony_82
28-05-2011, 23:16
Thought I'd give this a wee bump. It's every bit as relevant now with the new ownership as it was 2 years ago.

You could read your original post and it still rings as true today as 2 years ago. Lessons should be learned from the follow up to Blue Heaven for a start.

Sam_English
28-05-2011, 23:18
Best post on here for quite some time.

bigkahunarab
28-05-2011, 23:20
A belief that a player can and should constantly improve rather than train on formations for two hours and then be sent to the bookies.......

GingerFurball
28-05-2011, 23:35
Best post on here for quite some time.

Best for the last 2 years anyway :p

Shay o' Turkey
28-05-2011, 23:42

It certainly is.

baystatebear
29-05-2011, 00:08
I think the issue might be larger than what Rangers do or don't do. For me, the problem lies in what passes for football culture not just in Scotland but the British Isles as a whole. As long as technique is given a back seat to the 'tactic' of humping long balls into the box, as long as ball control is de-emphasised at the expense of a muscle-bound physique and brutal tackling, things will never really change for the better.

In order to turn things around, ALL clubs—not just Rangers—need to recognise what the problem is, accept the necessity for change, and implement coaching policies from youth-level on up designed to cultivate skill over brawn. Only then might we see the kind the kind of quality football that fans of teams like Barca enjoy and even take for granted.

airdy
29-05-2011, 00:16
[url]Barcelona's success has, however, pointed the way forward. We must do better when it comes to developing our own talent. In my 16 years watching Rangers, we have produced two players who are of the quality to grace the Champions League - Barry Ferguson and Alan Hutton. 2 players in 16 years is pathetic for a club of Rangers' size and stature. Not one of the starting XI on Sunday had come through the ranks at Rangers.This is an aspect of the club which is critical. I do not expect us to instantly produce world class players. However, with proper coaching and scouting at the club, from the bottom up, there is no reason why we cannot produce an Alan Hutton or Barry Ferguson every year. None whatsoever.

I would add McGregor to that list also.
However is there not a case that at Rangers we dont allow youngsters enough time as fans or managment in the 1st team. There's been countless times ive witnessed fans harangue young players in the team. How can this be good for building confidence

j13bel
29-05-2011, 00:18
Great post mate

Loyal_Si
29-05-2011, 01:54
Superb post.

Stuart_WATP
29-05-2011, 02:03
Great post from the OP, unfortunately it will end up buried underneath threads about how big Laff should be punted :D

Bullseye
29-05-2011, 02:18
There is no point in having a Rolls Royce if you can't drive...?

GingerFurball
29-05-2011, 17:46
Bump for the day shift.

TPABear
29-05-2011, 17:49
Great post mate