PDA

View Full Version : Walter will cost us this league

Pages : [1] 2

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 15:23
And im sick of saying it, he's constantly baffling us with his formations, players playing out of position, totally wrong substitions and the fear of going into destroy teams who are there for the taking, Today see's boy left on and lafferty substituted to put a right back on the wing, even though we have 4 players on the bench who can play there. Its frustrating as feck watching him make these weird choices.

Rant over :(

Bonkle Bear
28-02-2009, 15:25
A very strange decision as was the Whittaker substitution.

Mad Broon
28-02-2009, 15:26
Considering how much money he has spent, to continually play guys out of position where he thinks they can 'do a job' absolutely sickens me.

What is wrong with the simple philosophy of bringing in good players for the positions you need, and playing them in their natural positions, where you can get the best out of them?! It baffles me that this seems an alien policy to those in charge at Rangers!:mad:

craigthebear
sorry, but who's top of the league?:confused: and name the last time we got well and truely thumped

Albertz Was King
I’ve said it before, Walter is the biggest threat to our title hopes.

That worried me today, the persistence with Lafferty, a 6ft 5 striker, on the left wing and then replacing him with a timid, underperforming right back in Whittaker!

Very cautious against a piss poor Hamilton side.

We needed a winger, everyone could see that. Yet Beasley and Aaron were never going to get on the park.

billybatts
Nervy last 10 mins i agree, but points make prizes. Relax mate.

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 15:27
sorry, but who's top of the league?:confused: and name the last time we got well and truely thumped

http://wtcampaigns.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/head-in-the-sand.jpg
no more needs to be said

bigy
28-02-2009, 15:27
So 10 minutes to go, we're expecting them to come at us, and Walter shores up the midfield and gets us the win. That's good tactics imo. I don't always agree with Smith's tactics, but he got that right today.

Dalebear
28-02-2009, 15:29
Your absolutley spot on, he seems intent on making things as awkward as possible for us

BeardyBear

That's beside the point.

We could have throttled that Hamilton team today. I mean really ran them over and added to our GD. Instead we played Lafferty out left, where a proper winger could have got at their back three, and tried desperately to hold on to a 1-0 lead when every bit of pressure was coming from us. With the right subs (i.e Aaron or Beasley) we could have torn them open - instead we opted for a nervous 20 minutes of defending.

dig_out_yer_soul
I thought he got his tactics spot on today, Lafferty for Fleck was probably the right choice for the type of game it was. We played well today the midfield was excellent we just didnt have it in the final third today.

Gary_L
And im sick of saying it, he's constantly baffling us with his formations, players playing out of position, totally wrong substitions and the fear of going into destroy teams who are there for the taking, Today see's boy left on and lafferty substituted to put a right back on the wing, even though we have 4 players on the bench who can play there. Its frustrating as feck watching him make these weird choices.

now for mine then these strange choices have resulted in a ten point turn around from the last get wattie out call;

Laudrup1
28-02-2009, 15:30
I can't believe we still don't have a left sided midfielder capable of doing a job in all these important games given what he's spent since coming back.

baystatebear
28-02-2009, 15:30
The left mid/wing position has been a problem for Rangers all season because Smith, through his selection policies, has made it one.

balticblue
28-02-2009, 15:31
no more needs to be said

Yes we won but it could have been a lot easier in the last 15 mins if we had a balance about the team with players in their correct positions.

Lafferty wide left replaced by a right full back on the left wing..........Smith is clueless sometimes:mad:

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 15:31
So 10 minutes to go, we're expecting them to come at us, and Walter shores up the midfield and gets us the win. That's good tactics imo. I don't always agree with Smith's tactics, but he got that right today.

and if they scored ? its hamilton ffs, its not even a decent team like united who always seem to play well against us, We need to be scoring goals into teams like this, not hanging on for dear life at the end. Why do we play an under performing right back left mid ? why start a massive striker on left mid when we have 4 players on the bench who could do a better job.

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 15:32
my point exactly mate:)

Put your head back in that maths book

tuc
28-02-2009, 15:32
3 points in the bag well done rangers

Davie Wilson
28-02-2009, 15:33
Never mind the last 10 minutes - we let a poor Accies team come at us for most of the second half. Only things we created were on breakaways, and we weren't particulalry good at that. We should be destroying teams like that.

craigthebear
Put your head back in that maths book

Put your head in front of the league table:confused:

gersjim
i'm totally confused???? i thought we won today.....:confused:

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 15:35
3 points in the bag well done rangers

3 points is great I agree, but a 1 goal lead is a bad way to lead into the final 10 mins against a poor side, All it takes is celtic to hammer a team 4 or 5 nil,
then the goal difference isnt that great, What annoys me is he persisted with boyd when he wasnt interested, I like boyd but today he was a no show and should of been taken off way before 85 mins.

BigSteve
28-02-2009, 15:36
We won against an awfull hamilton side, we where all over them and chould of destroyed them, their manager made 3 subs within 65 mins because it wasnt working. one lucky goal from then could end our title hopes.

Awful Hamilton team?

They may only be Hamilton, but prior to today they were the form side. Won 5 of their last 6. In fact, won 8 of their last 10.

As is the case when the there is only one goal in it, the team behind threw everything at us. And yet even then they never had a shot on target.

He could have thrown a winger on, given us less solidity and in that period where Hamilton went for it they might have gotten something.

Sometimes a leage winning side has to win games by the odd goal.

Yes given our dominance we would have like to and maybe should have scored more. However it is also good to know that our team have the confidence and mentality to hold onto a 1 goal lead. Celtic didn't show that same strength of character last week.

A bit of praise for a team that has enjoyed a 10 point swing in the Championship race.

Bonkle Bear
28-02-2009, 15:36
On the other hand 8 clean sheets in the last 10 games is a decent showing in his defence.

oranje-viola
28-02-2009, 15:37
i'm totally confused???? i thought we won today.....:confused:

But under Smith's leadership we are not realising our potential. We should have won more comfortably, the negativity WS brings to the table is suffocating.

It's a farce that we are only shading the title race from that bunch of cloggers and donkeys, epitomised by Mr Human Buzz-Bomb with the 'world class engine', we should be miles clear.

bigy
28-02-2009, 15:42
We dominated the game, and in the last 10 minutes when we hadn't got the second we shored things up and held on to what we had. And done it successfully. Any good manager would have done the same!!

In his 2 full seasons won two cups last year, took us to a UEFA Cup final, we were cheated out the league on the last day last year, are in the CIS final this, are top of the league and still in the Scottish Cup.

What more do you want???

craigthebear
28-02-2009, 15:42
3 points is great I agree, but a 1 goal lead is a bad way to lead into the final 10 mins against a poor side, All it takes is celtic to hammer a team 4 or 5 nil,
then the goal difference isnt that great, What annoys me is he persisted with boyd when he wasnt interested, I like boyd but today he was a no show and should of been taken off way before 85 mins.

I see your point mate, and don't wish to fall out with you over it, but we're top of the league, and as long as we keep ongrinding out results I don't care if we win by one goal or not. 3 point is 3 points after all

spirit_of_93
28-02-2009, 15:44
Absolute rubbish imo.

How many attempts at goal did we have today it was about 20 odd and we completely dominated from start to finish.

The Bridge
28-02-2009, 15:45
Too many Championship Manager players on this thread. If you all know so much you should shut down the PC and get managing. Rangers seem to need you... ;)

ped conway
28-02-2009, 15:47
We all agree/disagree with the manager at different times, but some times i think alot of people on here just want to always give the gaffer pelters, we are top of the league, lets keep the heat on the tarriers management. bad mouthing the boss does'nt serve anything constructive, nothing good can come of it at this time.

Cuddles
28-02-2009, 15:48
now for mine then these strange choices have resulted in a ten point turn around from the last get wattie out call;

Really? How did Walter Smith's team selections force Celtic to lose to Hibs & Aberdeen and draw with Dundee Utd & Hearts?

Dalebear
28-02-2009, 15:48
We dominated the game, and in the last 10 minutes when we hadn't got the second we shored things up and held on to what we had. And done it successfully. Any good manager would have done the same!!

In his 2 full seasons won two cups last year, took us to a UEFA Cup final, we were cheated out the league on the last day last year, are in the CIS final this, are top of the league and still in the Scottish Cup.

What more do you want???

Some form of entertainment would be nice can anyone honestly say they enjoy watching this style of football?

We weren't cheated out the league smith simply ran the players into the ground by playing his own wee gang week in week out regardless of what position needed to be filled

pdee
28-02-2009, 15:50
smith and his selections it terrible,why whittaker on the left,we have john fleck,beasley a winger,naismith a winger and he plays a right back on the left wing ,shocking mate

Gary_L
28-02-2009, 15:50
Really? How did Walter Smith's team selections force Celtic to lose to Hibs & Aberdeen and draw with Dundee Utd & Hearts?
not at al but his own clawed back the points

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 15:51
The Whittaker substitution was a surprise however the thread title is utter tripe!

spirit_of_93
28-02-2009, 15:53
Some form of entertainment would be nice can anyone honestly say they enjoy watching this style of football?

We weren't cheated out the league smith simply ran the players into the ground by playing his own wee gang week in week out regardless of what position needed to be filled

Nonsense. He puts out what team he thinks will win the game, alot of the games in the SPL aren't pretty look at the way Hamilton set up today it isn't always conducive to free flowing total football.

Our midfield was very good today and the defence was solid as a rock.

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 15:53

if celtic were not shite, the would be miles ahead of us in the league, our managers negativity has cost us too many points this season, thats the point im trying to make, too many times in games were shitting bricks because we go defensive and let teams come at us,

spirit_of_93
28-02-2009, 15:55
if celtic were not shite, the would be miles ahead of us in the league, our managers negativity has cost us too many points this season, thats the point im trying to make, too many times in games were shitting bricks because we go defensive and let teams come at us,

If it weren't for all the dodgy decisions they've had in their favour this season we'd be about 10/12 points clear no?

Baxtersbigtoe
28-02-2009, 15:56
Never mind the last 10 minutes - we let a poor Accies team come at us for most of the second half. Only things we created were on breakaways, and we weren't particulalry good at that. We should be destroying teams like that.

Second best in the SPL over the 10 games going into today! You are grossly underestimating them.

scotty_boy90
28-02-2009, 15:57
We won today - ok it wasnt pretty but its a game that we would have drawn or lost in seasons gone by.

We should have won by a lot more today, we had about 20 shots on goal to one we had a good defensive diaplay. Our away record is much better this season i believe so far. I'm happy that we dont seem so poor away - keep winning to win the league, im not bothered if we win 1-0 or 10-0 as long as we keep winning we'll win the league

tamtherangersman
28-02-2009, 15:57
But under Smith's leadership we are not realising our potential. We should have won more comfortably, the negativity WS brings to the table is suffocating.

It's a farce that we are only shading the title race from that bunch of cloggers and donkeys, epitomised by Mr Human Buzz-Bomb with the 'world class engine', we should be miles clear

if it wasnt for RHEFS guaranteeing c*ltic all 3 points at any cost earlier on in the season we would be miles clear.

scotty_boy90
28-02-2009, 15:59

You could argue that we've picked up poinys against these teams by not losing or winning narrowly when they have dropped points. Walters tactics have meant picking up points where they have lost them, thus gaining on the league i.e. aberdeen

Tagsbear
28-02-2009, 16:01

And when we win it what will you say then?

Gary_L
28-02-2009, 16:02

as you yourself said in your post what has celtic to do with our results you cant have both ways the fact remains smiths selections like them or loath them have took us to where we are now you cant dispute this so what exactly is your point. judge him in may.

Tagsbear
28-02-2009, 16:02

Squeaky bum time for you now timps eh?

essie_rfc
28-02-2009, 16:03
Yes we won but it could have been a lot easier in the last 15 mins if we had a balance about the team with players in their correct positions.

Lafferty wide left replaced by a right full back on the left wing..........Smith is clueless sometimes:mad:

bringing Whittiker on was the right descision for me. were looking to just play out the last 10mins and get the win. Aaron, Fleck and Beasley arent relly known for their defensive ability.

Tagsbear
28-02-2009, 16:06
no more needs to be said

Erm yes it does, in what way are we not top of the league?

baystatebear
28-02-2009, 16:13
Granted we won and are now 3pts closer to the title. But when you consider that we spent 17 mil. on new players over the summer, compared with the circa 100k that Hamilton spent, surely we are entltled to expect more than grinding out painfull 1-0 results against very average SPL teams such as Hamilton.

spirit_of_93
28-02-2009, 16:16
Granted we won and are now 3pts closer to the title. But when you consider that we spent 17 mil. on new players over the summer, compared with the circa 100k that Hamilton spent, surely we are entltled to expect more than grinding out painfull 1-0 results against very average SPL teams such as Hamilton.

We had about 20 attempts on goal and dominated from start to finish. The way teams set up in the SPL it isn't always conducive to free flowing total football.

Cross Keys Rab
28-02-2009, 16:17
The Whittaker substitution was a surprise however the thread title is utter tripe!

No doubt if we win the league it will be in spite of Walter instead of because of him.

There is no pleasing some people. Its the way of the world on here.

Thought it was a shit game but the three points are welcomel. What ever happens by 4.55 tonight we will still be top of the league.

GioLoyal
28-02-2009, 16:22
We're top of the league because the taigs have only won 3 of their last 10 games not because of superb management from Smith.

Our own form has hardly been great either just slightly better than theirs - 14 away games played with only 7 victories is testament to that.

Sandyhills Blue
28-02-2009, 16:24
A potientially difficult match today, negotiated with a professional if unspectacular performance. What else am I missing?

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 16:26
We're top of the league because the taigs have only won 3 of their last 10 games not because of superb management from Smith.

Our own form has hardly been great either just slightly better than theirs - 14 away games played with only 7 victories is testament to that.

That's fine but if you use that logic you shouldn't blame Smith when we're not top of the league.

bcgogs
28-02-2009, 16:27
Win every game 1-0 and the league trophy comes home - simple really !!!!!

spirit_of_93
28-02-2009, 16:28

We're top of the league because we have taken 14 out of 18 points this year, the two draws coming in our toughest fixtures. We haven't been great but we're as strong as we've been since we last won the title, and imo look like the team that will win the league.

Cross Keys Rab
28-02-2009, 16:28

Its maybe stretching it to say its been superb management (which I don't think anybody did), but its not been bad management either as we have won our games and clawed back a seven point deficit. Right now we lead by three and they have to win.

As long as we keep winning and scoring enough to maintain the goal difference, then we win the league.

You say our away form is pish, which I agree with, but we grind out a win and you still want to find fault with it. A wins a step in the right direction.

GioLoyal
28-02-2009, 16:30
That's fine but if you use that logic you shouldn't blame Smith when we're not top of the league.

Smith is solely responsible for Rangers results.

If we were 10 points clear, playing great football I would give him credit.

We're not, it's only because of the tims incompetence we're still in contention for this title. That's on Walter.

airportger
28-02-2009, 16:30

They never came at us for the previous 80 mins.Why would you think they would change for the last ten?

GioLoyal
28-02-2009, 16:31
Its maybe stretching it to say its been superb management (which I don't think anybody did), but its not been bad management either as we have won our games and clawed back a seven point deficit. Right now we lead by three and they have to win.

As long as we keep winning and scoring enough to maintain the goal difference, then we win the league.

You say our away form is pish, which I agree with, but we grind out a win and you still want to find fault with it. A wins a step in the right direction.

I'm not trying to find fault with todays win. I never mentioned it.

What I'm doing is taking issue with the idea that Walter's doing a good job and he's the reason we're top of the league. He's not.

Auld Jock
28-02-2009, 16:32

Tactics and team selection aside the chances where made and we didnt take them you cant blame Walter for that, same as the Aberdeen and Celtic games.

GioLoyal
28-02-2009, 16:34
We're top of the league because we have taken 14 out of 18 points this year, the two draws coming in our toughest fixtures. We haven't been great but we're as strong as we've been since we last won the title, and imo look like the team that will win the league.

I think we will too.

That doesn't change my belief that the sooner Smith goes the better.

spirit_of_93
28-02-2009, 16:35
I'm not trying to find fault with todays win. I never mentioned it.

What I'm doing is taking issue with the idea that Walter's doing a good job and he's the reason we're top of the league. He's not.

We'd be about 12 points clear minimum if it weren't for the bizarre refereeing decisions this season particularly in the first 3 or 4 weeks. We'd have also won a treble last season if it weren't for the ridiculous schedule forced on us and the UEFA cup run. He aint doing too badly in all fairness given he's had little over 2 years to turn around an absolutely shite side.

GioLoyal
28-02-2009, 16:39
We'd be about 12 points clear minimum if it weren't for the bizarre refereeing decisions this season particularly in the first 3 or 4 weeks. We'd have also won a treble last season if it weren't for the ridiculous schedule forced on us and the UEFA cup run. He aint doing too badly in all fairness given he's had little over 2 years to turn around an absolutely shite side.

But over that 2 year period he's been given more money to spend on players than every other manager in the SPL put together and shed loads more than his predeccessors McLeish and Le Guen had.

Given that financial backing, which has been spent in a reckless, ad hoc manner, I'd like to think we would be closer to the tims!

Tagsbear
28-02-2009, 16:39
Some people on here are mighty pissed off at our league position, peculiar stuff.

spirit_of_93
28-02-2009, 16:41
I think we will too.

That doesn't change my belief that the sooner Smith goes the better.

Depends whose lined up to replace him for me. His put together a not bad side now with a good batch of players in the mid 20s Thomson, Davis, Bougherra, MacGregor, in particular and there looks to be a good batch of youngsters coming through.

spirit_of_93
28-02-2009, 16:42
But over that 2 year period he's been given more money to spend on players than every other manager in the SPL put together and shed loads more than his predeccessors McLeish and Le Guen had.

Given that financial backing, which has been spent in a reckless, ad hoc manner, I'd like to think we would be closer to the tims!

He's also had to sell his best players hence why he got it to spend in the first place. His made some excellent signings too Thomson, Davis, Mendes, Bougherra, Cuellar, Weir, Miller who have done extremely well.

He wasn't handed a fantasy budget its largely down to his own management that he's spent so much, in particular bringing in over 20 million with player sales.

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 16:44
Smith is solely responsible for Rangers results.

If we were 10 points clear, playing great football I would give him credit.

We're not, it's only because of the tims incompetence we're still in contention for this title. That's on Walter.

What you have said doesn't make sense. If Smith is solely responsible for Rangers results therefore he must be solely responsible for us being top of the league. You can't have it both ways.

GioLoyal
28-02-2009, 16:48
What you have said doesn't make sense. If Smith is solely responsible for Rangers results therefore he must be solely responsible for us being top of the league. You can't have it both ways.

But that's my point Phil, the only thing Walter can be judged on is our results.

And our results, particularly away from home, haven't been particularly great!

Dalebear
28-02-2009, 16:52
But that's my point Phil, the only thing Walter can be judged on is our results.

Add to that the quality of football on show is terrible

wemyssbayboy
28-02-2009, 16:54
we were well on top today,testament to defence mcgregor not a save to make today.
only 11 more games to go.WATP

Renoranger
28-02-2009, 16:56

You are clueless. We are top on goal difference and if Smith had any idea of tactics we would be on top with a huge points lead. Explain the Whittaker substitution. Also, explain Kaunas. He simply doesn't know what he is doing.
Defensive minded against Hamilton with 20 minutes to go instead of doing everything to get a second goal. The mind boggles.

pelem
28-02-2009, 16:57

you sure you support the blue team.

we are sufferin apoplexy for 90 minutes each game right now.

spirit_of_93
28-02-2009, 16:59
You are clueless. We are top on goal difference and if Smith had any idea of tactics we would be on top with a huge points lead. Explain the Whittaker substitution. Also, explain Kaunas. He simply doesn't know what he is doing.
Defensive minded against Hamilton with 20 minutes to go instead of doing everything to get a second goal. The mind boggles.

A goal difference of +10 better than your rivals and you think he should have bust a gut to get a second instead of successfully close out the game comfortably as we did.

What was more important the three points or pushing for a second goal. :confused:

With fair refereeing we'd be about 12 points clear.

cameross
28-02-2009, 17:02

That is no excuse for the way Walter runs this team. When we lose the league I hope you are of the same opinion

cameross
28-02-2009, 17:03
you sure you support the blue team.

we are sufferin apoplexy for 90 minutes each game right now.

I agree with you There is no reason in most games why we should be suffering hearts attacks and strokes.

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 17:08

Thus far they've been good enough.

two2tango
28-02-2009, 17:09
I can't believe we still don't have a left sided midfielder capable of doing a job in all these important games given what he's spent since coming back.

we do we have three better options for the left in beasley, fleck and aaron yet ws picks lafferty then whittaker, the man is a complete and utter dross judge of players and tactics imo

anyone with any tatcial knowldge when playing a back three plays three forwards with pace, two of them prefrably wide men

if we had went with e front three of say

aaron----miller-----naimsith or fleck or beasley we would have ripped them apart

Tagsbear
28-02-2009, 17:13

Kaunus happened, it was a complete pisser but Rangers have to go on, we need to win the league and we are top of the league, thats all we can do.

It really is pissing a few people off though that we are top of the league, those who seem to want to attack Walter Smith more than they want to win the league, its perverse.

Tagsbear
28-02-2009, 17:14
That is no excuse for the way Walter runs this team. When we lose the league I hope you are of the same opinion

You seem awfully sure we won't win it, very strange.

What happens when we win it??

Some Ride
28-02-2009, 17:16
Not backing WS but the only thing I could see was that putting either Fleck Beasley or Aaron on they would be up against Mensing who is a big powerful lad and that's why he opted for Whittaker other than that a truly awful decision.

spirit_of_93
28-02-2009, 17:18
Not backing WS but the only thing I could see was that putting either Fleck Beasley or Aaron on they would be up against Mensing who is a big powerful lad and that's why he opted for Whittaker other than that a truly awful decision.

I think that was exactly it. Why was it a truly awful decision given we comfortably saw the game out. What was more important the 3 points or pushing for a second goal?

Bear_In_Orkney
28-02-2009, 17:21
Walter continually pays far too much respect to the lesser Teams.

Ok if you're up against a top European Team, but not what passes for a footy Team in the SPL like Accies.

I agree with the originator of the Thread.

Walter is so continually 'feart' of other Teams he has Rangers playing to their strengths rather than their weaknesses.

We should have been winning by four or five goals today and it could cost us.

Even if we do win the SPL it's time Walter vamoosed.

GioLoyal
28-02-2009, 17:23
Thus far they've been good enough.

But being just good enough, considering the money that has been spent and the financial position that has put us in, doesn't merit a great deal of praise.

Again I must maintain my opinion that Walter is not doing a great job. If you think he is then fine.

bearfaecumbernauld
28-02-2009, 17:24
couldn't believe he put on whittaker - strange when we have 3 players on the bench who are better.

Mind you boring one nils until end of season will see us doing the treble

TheBattleFever
28-02-2009, 17:29
How many players have played left wing for us this year? Off the top of my head I can think of 10 :eek:

Novo
Miller
Lafferty
Naismith
Fleck
McCulloch
Whittaker
Adam
Beasley
Aaron

Renoranger
28-02-2009, 17:38
A goal difference of +10 better than your rivals and you think he should have bust a gut to get a second instead of successfully close out the game comfortably as we did.

What was more important the three points or pushing for a second goal. :confused:

With fair refereeing we'd be about 12 points clear.

Beggars currently leading 6:0 today so goal difference cut in half at least. We should have brought on Beasley or Aaron instead of Whittaker. Also, he is notorious for playing people out of position. Another goal would have made it so much easier. Stop ignoring his stupidity and stubborness.

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 17:47
And when we win it what will you say then?

Championees :D :coolkick:
but to be honest we do need to get rid of smith imo

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 17:48
Erm yes it does, in what way are we not top of the league?

Were top, but the problems are still there

bigbluebroxi
28-02-2009, 17:54
We had 20 shots today against the form team in the league at a ground we struggled at already this season, and came away with three points.

How many games do we have 20 shots and only score once?

Poor decision making and passing from strikers today were the reason for not winning comfortably, not Walter Smith.

As for the Whittaker sub, we were getting a hard time down that side of the park from Hamilton. Smith stopped that from happening. Plus wasnt it Whittaker who played are superb ball in which Boyd almost scored from?

some folk just love a moan.

salsabear
28-02-2009, 17:56
Some people on here are mighty pissed off at our league position, peculiar stuff.

It'll be interesting to see how many give praise if we do win the league.

justagrin
28-02-2009, 17:56
But being just good enough, considering the money that has been spent and the financial position that has put us in, doesn't merit a great deal of praise.

Again I must maintain my opinion that Walter is not doing a great job. If you think he is then fine.

Your hurting because were winning we get that.:o

Get behind the team and manager.

Bonkle Bear
28-02-2009, 17:57
Surely then by the same argument Smith could win us the league with the defence looking as good as it has for a while. Not defending Smith as some of his decisions are baffling especially the left hand side of midfield but you have to put it in some kind of context.

davieloyal
We had 20 shots today against the form team in the league at a ground we struggled at already this season, and came away with three points.

Poor decision making and passing from strikers today were the reason for not winning comfortably, not Walter Smith.

As for the Whittaker sub, we were getting a hard time down that side of the park from Hamilton. Smith stopped that from happening. Plus wasnt it Whittaker who played are superb ball in which Boyd almost scored from?

and if accies had scored then we would have dropped points whittaker is a poor right back not a left sided player aaron beasley naisy or fleck should have been on lack of goals cost us last season dearly

salsabear
You seem awfully sure we won't win it, very strange.

What happens when we win it??

A lot of pricks will choke it down, and say fuuck all.

bigbluebroxi
28-02-2009, 18:00
and if accies had scored then we would have dropped points whittaker is a poor right back not a left sided player aaron beasley naisy or fleck should have been on lack of goals cost us last season dearly

And if?

The games finished and we got three points. Hamilton never threatened our goal at all today. They never looked like scoring. We made three really good chances after Whittaker came on, so its not like we just defended and hung onto a 1-0 lead.

if you want to use the and if argument, then and if the strikers managed to convert one of the 20 ****ing chances we had today then this discussion wouldnt even be taking place.

maxitax
28-02-2009, 18:01
3 POINTS
Thats all that matters at the end of the day

TheHost

Superb stuff!

Even applauding the placing of a right back at left wing.

Tags and phil will be scared that they have a challenger for the title of "most sycophantic fan".

We could get humped 15 nil playing mcgregor up front and the usual suspects would be on here telling us how right smith got it!

spirit_of_93
It'll be interesting to see how many give praise if we do win the league.

You have to wonder how you arrive at a point where you hate the manager so much of the team you supposedly love (even though he's not too far away from being as successful a manager we've ever had) that you desperately want the team to lose so he fails. It must be a f*cking bizarre psycological state to be in.

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 18:02

look at the accies manager, when it wasnt working he changed it, 3 times and it didnt matter the time of the match etc, Walter refuses to change anything until 65/70 mins constantly, I dont know if its fear of other teams or just total lack of confidence in his own team, but something has to change.
Why not play our game and let the other teams in the league worry about us.
not the other way about. Accies were awfull today, we should of taken adantage of that.

davieloyal
28-02-2009, 18:02
we should have went for the 2nd not by bringing on a dud right back who shouldnt be anywhere near ibrox you obviously didnt see his perform at tannadice and tynecastle we should have went for more goals simple really

BigSteve
28-02-2009, 18:04
Superb stuff!

Tags and phil will be scared that they have a challenger for the title of "most sycophantic fan".

We could get humped 15 nil playing mcgregor up front and the usual suspects would be on here telling us how right smith got it!

Bizarre post.

We won, again. We remained top of the league.

We dominated a difficult match against the form team in the league. Created 20 opportunities. Never gave the opposition a single chance.

We somehow only won by a single goal, but once we got ahead the result was never in any doubt. It's a funny old game.

maxitax
28-02-2009, 18:04
look at the accies manager, when it wasnt working he changed it, 3 times and it didnt matter the time of the match etc, Walter refuses to change anything until 65/70 mins constantly, I dont know if its fear of other teams or just total lack of confidence in his own team, but something has to change.
not the other way about. Accies were awfull today, we should of taken adantage of that.Aye he changed it three times but still lost
Go figure

BigSteve
28-02-2009, 18:05
not the other way about. Accies were awfull today, we should of taken adantage of that.

I agree with your point in general. But fail to understand how it relates to today's match.

Make change for changes sake? :confused:

We were absolutely dominating that game. Why change it?

davieloyal
28-02-2009, 18:07
I agree with your point in general. But fail to understand how it relates to today's match.

lafferty was mince 1-0 is never enough and he brings on a right back to play wide left it should have been a left sided player that was brought on

M A R T I N
Aye he changed it three times but still lost
Go figure

Ok, the fact is he is trying to get at us, not scared to change things,
Our team is worth 10 times the hamilton players value, We hae spent more than all other teams put together this season, we should still be winning games like this, but we shouldnt be bringing on defenders on 75 mins when winnin1-0

justagrin

The Accies were losing though thats why he changed it, we made them look poor do we not deserve any credit.

bigbluebroxi
28-02-2009, 18:08

What wasnt working?

We completely dominated the game and had 19/20 attempts on goal. As far as i saw today, we played the game our way.

And again, when whittaker came on, we didnt just sit back and allow Hamilton onto us to hang on for a 1 nil, we still created a couple of excellent chances to score again, which Whittaker contributed to.

If theres aanybody to blame today for a lack of convincing scorlein then its the players on the park who failed to convert the numerous attempts we had, not the managers for getting us 3 pints.

As for The hosts comments, they are just ridiculous.

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 18:09

Because lafferty has played there umpteen times this season, we have 4 players on the bench who could do a better job, he brings on a player who is playing awfull in his position, nevermind another position at the other side of the park.

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 18:12
The Accies were losing though thats why he changed it, we made them look poor do we not deserve any credit.

Ofcourse we do for winning, But the fact remains we have these baffling decisions by our manager again from start to finish, If were having 20 attempts on goal and we were pretty shit on the left with lafferty, then why not bring on a better winger ? why not sub one of our misfiring strikers ?

Tagsbear
28-02-2009, 18:12
Superb stuff!

You really are a strange person.

You seem more angry that Rangers are top of the league than any mhank I know, a strange strange state of mind to hate the manager more than you like your team doing well.

Tagsbear
28-02-2009, 18:14
lafferty was mince 1-0 is never enough and he brings on a right back to play wide left it should have been a left sided player that was brought on

'1-0 is never enough':confused:

Bastard, did we get beat?:p

Copperhead
28-02-2009, 18:16
Sorry to say it but Walter's selections and substitutions (both of them as tbh I don't think Naisty will be anywhere near fit enough for first team action this side of the close season) were appalling and although we won today they clearly illustrated to me why Walter can still be the pivotal factor in not winning the title if he keeps behaving like this away from home.

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 18:16

You seem more angry that Rangers are top of the league than any mhank I know, a strange strange state of mind to hate the manager more than you like your team doing well.

You keep refering to people being angry at us being at the top of the league, who has said that anywhere ? Its clearly been stated its not the fact that were playing excellently and deserve to be there, its the fact that celtic have been shit. Our manager is costing us, and if they get their act together (Which 7 goals today will help) we will be in trouble. We have to start punishing teams or this will cost us.

Copperhead
28-02-2009, 18:17
Plus does anyone have any idea where Stevie Davis is supposed to be playing these days? Because he certainly doesn't.

justagrin
28-02-2009, 18:19
You keep refering to people being angry at us being at the top of the league, who has said that anywhere ? Its clearly been stated its not the fact that were playing excellently and deserve to be there, its the fact that celtic have been shit. Our manager is costing us, and if they get their act together (Which 7 goals today will help) we will be in trouble. We have to start punishing teams or this will cost us.

So its not down to us winning at all why we've caught them:o

TheHost
28-02-2009, 18:22

No i am delighted we are top of the league.

I dont hate the manager i simply do not want him managing RFC.

I disagree with the way he wants the team to play, i disagree with his tactics and i think he will be responsible for us coming second in the league. Just as i hold him responsible for last years 2nd place.

I object, however, to the usual suspects who want to label any smith dissenters as lesser supporters. As your post above so admirably demonstrates.

It is quite simple i support The Rangers and i want the best for them. I simply believe we would get better with someone else managing the team.

Hope thats cleared that up for you.

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 18:23

It hasn't put us in any financial position. Walter is not responsible for the finances at Ibrox and the sooner people realise this the better.

M A R T I N
So its not down to us winning at all why we've caught them at all:o

:D,
we have been winning and them losing points yeah, Smith does deserve some credit for getting us here, but if it wasnt for them doing shit, and other teams doing us favours by taking points, we wouldnt be having this conversation. I just think smith is constantly playing negatively when we should be taking the game to other teams is costing us. I just fear another season of this pish next season.

spirit_of_93

I disagree with the way he wants the team to play, i disagree with his tactics and i think he will be responsible for us coming second in the league. Just as i hold him responsible for last years 2nd place.

I object, however, to the usual suspects who want to label any smith dissenters as lesser supporters. As your post above so admirably demonstrates.

It is quite simple i support The Rangers and i want the best for them. I simply believe we would get better with someone else managing the team.

Who do you want in instead out of interest?

Kerryblue
28-02-2009, 18:24

And 7-0 Celtic DID win. So our cautious wrongheaded manager, instead of going fOR GOALS, settles back to defend....this is crap management. We should be at the jugular, not sitting in to keep Hamilton Accies out. Look at the goal difference reduction now...

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 18:25
It hasn't put us in any financial position. Walter is not responsible for the finances at Ibrox and the sooner people realise this the better.

but he has to take part of the blame when he's blowing mone on players like lafferty, technically edu too when the money was needed elsewhere.

Copperhead
28-02-2009, 18:25

Punting vast amounts of money on bad players he can't re-sell is down to Walter. I can't blame the Chairman for trying to support his manager.

mrgallus
28-02-2009, 18:26
Bizarre post.

We won, again. We remained top of the league.

We dominated a difficult match against the form team in the league. Created 20 opportunities. Never gave the opposition a single chance.

We somehow only won by a single goal, but once we got ahead the result was never in any doubt. It's a funny old game.

it wouldnt matter who we had in charge as there will always be people with their own opinions and find ways of negativity towards him/them

Its the way of some on here to constantly criticise, players, management - EVEN when we win.

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 18:26
Who do you want in instead out of interest?

I knew that would be risen, Were supporters not chairmen, its upto the chairman to find a better manager. not the fans, the fans can only judge the manager and show their thoughts when they dont think the current manager is doing things right.

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 18:27
it wouldnt matter who we had in charge as there will always be people with their own opinions and find ways of negativity towards him/them

Its the way of some on here to constantly criticise, players, management - EVEN when we win.

the result is just a smoke screen, The problems are still there whether we win or lose

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 18:28
I knew that would be risen, Were supporters not chairmen, its upto the chairman to find a better manager. not the fans, the fans can only judge the manager and show their thoughts when they dont think the current manager is doing things right.

And if the chairman disagrees?

RoscoBoss
28-02-2009, 18:28

Another goal fest for the tims and it certainly won't be us.:mad:

bigbluebroxi
28-02-2009, 18:29
And 7-0 Celtic DID win. So our cautious wrongheaded manager, instead of going fOR GOALS, settles back to defend....this is crap management. We should be at the jugular, not sitting in to keep Hamilton Accies out. Look at the goal difference reduction now...

You mean Hamilton who up until today had ammased more points than us in 2009, and hadnt failed to score at home since september?

We got a good win at a ground we previously struggled at this season, against the league form side.

I'd love us to have skelped Hamilton today, and we created enough opportunities to do so. on another day we could have won by 4 or 5.

Its not Smiths fault that we didnt convert chances that we made.

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 18:29
but he has to take part of the blame when he's blowing mone on players like lafferty, technically edu too when the money was needed elsewhere.

No, he takes no blame. If the signings don't work out it's a different matter.

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 18:30
Punting vast amounts of money on bad players he can't re-sell is down to Walter. I can't blame the Chairman for trying to support his manager.

Vast amounts on bad players?

davieloyal
28-02-2009, 18:31
You mean Hamilton who up until today had ammased more points than us in 2009, and hadnt failed to score at home since september?

We got a good win at a ground we previously struggled at this season, against the league form side.

I'd love us to have skelped Hamilton today, and we created enough opportunities to do so. on another day we could have won by 4 or 5.

Its not Smiths fault that we didnt convert chances that we made.

if he started with maybe fleck or aaron im sure we would have had more goals today and bringing on a right back to play on the left was garbage

spirit_of_93
28-02-2009, 18:31

So you happily hound out the manager who has us back at the top 2 years after being complete shite (not to mention the treble we'd have had last season not for the sinister actions of Steak Pie FC) without giving much thought as to who would replace him. :confused:

bigbluebroxi
28-02-2009, 18:32
if he started with maybe fleck or aaron im sure we would have had more goals today and bringing on a right back to play on the left was garbage

Maybe we would have done.

As ive said before though, how many games do we have 20 attempts on goal and only score once?

Tom Vallance
28-02-2009, 18:32
Walter can be very cautious even when it's not entirely warranted, however we won 1-0. If you add to that Lafferty's early strike which was saved, Davis's first half header, Davis's chance in the second half when he was played in stright in front of goal by Boyd, Miller's bad luck in the first half with his redirected header which hit the bar, we could have left Hamilton with a 4 or 5 nil victory and we all would have been happy, or happier. Walter does deserve some of the criticism he gets, but I fail to see how he can be held responsible for a lack of fortune or bad finishing.

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 18:34
So you happily hound out the manager who has us back at the top 2 years after being complete shite (not to mention the treble we'd have had last season not for the sinister actions of Steak Pie FC) without giving much thought as to who would replace him. :confused:

Theres plenty managers who I'd love to see here, but again thats upto the chairman not the fans

spirit_of_93
28-02-2009, 18:35

Like Thomson, Davis, Mendes, Bougherra, Cuellar, Weir, Miller? Edu and Lafferty could well turn out very good signings in the long run.

This is the same manager who signed Goram, McCall, Durie, Davie Robertson, Gattuso, Albertz, Gazza and Laudrup, a f*cking disaster right enough. :)

Tagsbear
28-02-2009, 18:35

I never labelled anyone anything, you come on here and slag me off constantly, and name me in your posts with regularity, you imply that I don't want the best for Rangers because I don't slate Walter Smiths every move and am a lesser supporter because of this, I find it a bit strange but hey ho, the accusation if there is one works both ways.

Copperhead
28-02-2009, 18:42
Like Thomson, Davis, Mendes, Bougherra, Cuellar, Weir, Miller? Edu and Lafferty could well turn out very good signings in the long run.

McCulloch, Whittaker, Beasley, Velicka. That's about 6 million. Lafferty (who I rate) and Edu (who might turn out okay) are another 6million on players who either can't get a game or who he isn't prepared to play unless as a totally last resort.

This is the same manager who signed Goram, McCall, Durie, Davie Robertson, Gattuso, Albertz, Gazza and Laudrup, a f*cking disaster right enough. :)

They're not doing much for us now though are they?

spirit_of_93
28-02-2009, 18:44
McCulloch, Whittaker, Beasley, Velicka. That's about £6 million. Lafferty (who I rate) and Edu (who might turn out okay) are another £6million on players who either can't get a game or who he isn't prepared to play unless as a totally last resort.

They're not doing much for us now though are they?

Nope but I think it is worth pointing out to the Smith must never spend another penny brigade.

As to the first point, the vast majority of what he has spent ie the 2, 3 million pound players bar a couple of exceptions have been great signings. No Rangers manager to my mind has spent every penny perfectly, it just doesn't work like that in football and alot of the players used to slate Smith like Dailly etc were stop gap signings to bolster the squad at minimal expense.

vanderhogg
28-02-2009, 18:45

3 points away to the other form side in the SPL, a clean sheet..... and yet some folk still aren't happy.

Sometimes I think FF is a competition to see who can be the kiddy-on angriest person of the week.

Cuddles
28-02-2009, 18:45
I never labelled anyone anything, you come on here and slag me off constantly, and name me in your posts with regularity, you imply that I don't want the best for Rangers because I don't slate Walter Smiths every move and am a lesser supporter because of this, I find it a bit strange but hey ho, the accusation if there is one works both ways.

Tags, people name you regularly because win, lose or draw, you constantly defend the manager. It's nothing personal.

What do you expect people to say when they don't rate the manager and you defend him?

Cuddles
28-02-2009, 18:48

With his failure to put together a half-decent team for the Kaunas tie, Walter is directly responsible for the lack of European football this year and consequently for the resultant drop in our income this year.

The Rangers manager has to take responsibility for his awful decisions.

spirit_of_93
28-02-2009, 18:51
With his failure to put together a half-decent team for the Kaunas tie, Walter is directly responsible for the lack of European football this year and consequently for the resultant drop in our income this year.

Maybe Bain should have done a better job at securing the targets the Smith had given him at the start of the summer in time. Is it Smith's fault that the Davis transfer dragged on so long only for us to pay what was demanded in the first place in the end?

Cuddles
28-02-2009, 18:51

Smith is reponsible for our results but the fact that Celtic have dropped 10 points in recent weeks has nothing to do with Walter.

Also, if Walter is solely responsible for us being top of the SPL, then it's also solely his fault that we lost it last season.

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 18:52

I accept Smith has to take some responsibility for Kaunas however we did have a half-decent team for that tie, certainly one capable of winning the game. Furthermore, the drop in income is irrelevant as we should not be budgeting for European football therefore any financial problems are unrelated to Smith.

davieloyal
28-02-2009, 18:53
I accept Smith has to take some responsibility for Kaunas however we did have a half-decent team for that tie, certainly one capable of winning the game. Furthermore, the drop in income is irrelevant as we should not be budgeting for European football therefore any financial problems are unrelated to Smith.

not with dailly in the team which proved a disaster

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 18:54
Smith is reponsible for our results but the fact that Celtic have dropped 10 points in recent weeks has nothing to do with Walter.

Also, if Walter is solely responsible for us being top of the SPL, then it's also solely his fault that we lost it last season.

I'm not going to waste much time arguing this point with you because it's so straightforward it doesn't merit much attention. If Smith is responsible for all failures he must also be responsible for all success therefore if you criticise him for falling behind in the league you must credit him for going ahead.

Cuddles
28-02-2009, 18:54
Maybe Bain should have done a better job at securing the targets the Smith had given him at the start of the summer in time. Is it Smith's fault that the Davis transfer dragged on so long only for us to pay what was demanded in the first place in the end?

It's Smith's fault that we bought 3 strikers when we didn't have (and still don't have) a single left-back in the squad.
It's Smith's fault that Velicka is at the club, Martin Bain didn;t pick him.
It's Smith's fault that a 2m right-back plays at left-mid while Aaorn sits on the bench.

Smith is a truly terrible football manager. We would have been better off with Strachan, as his SPL record shows.

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 18:55
not with dailly in the team which proved a disaster

The team we has out was better than Kaunas' side. Dailly's mistake at the end led to the corner however singling him out is ridiculous.

Cuddles
28-02-2009, 18:55
I'm not going to waste much time arguing this point with you because it's so straightforward it doesn't merit much attention. If Smith is responsible for all failures he must also be responsible for all success therefore if you criticise him for falling behind in the league you must credit him for going ahead.

If it's so simple, answer the question. Who was/is responsible for Rangers failing to win the SPL last year?

Take your time now.

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 18:57
If it's so simple, answer the question. Who was/is responsible for Rangers failing to win the SPL last year?

Take your time now.

It's not a black and white issue, it was certainly not Walter Smith's fault anyway.

Cuddles
28-02-2009, 18:57
'1-0 is never enough':confused:

Bastard, did we get beat?:p

If we win 1-0 next week and Celtic win 7-0 again, we won't be top of the SPL any more.

Sometimes you have to make your superiority count.

davieloyal
28-02-2009, 18:58
The team we has out was better than Kaunas' side. Dailly's mistake at the end led to the corner however singling him out is ridiculous.

dont talk rubbish the guy is pish simple really didnt he give the free kick away for kaunus first goal also? then the next match smith played him at right back against falkirk away and he was rotten playing a ball across his own box which nearly resulted in a chance for falkirk he should never have played again for rangers so its not ridiculous as you say

Cuddles
28-02-2009, 18:59
It's not a black and white issue, it was certainly not Walter Smith's fault anyway.

In that case, it's no thanks to Walter Smith that we're top now.

You're right, this is simple.

TonySoprano
28-02-2009, 18:59
I disagree with with Walter some of the time but truthfully, He sees these players everyday. He knows what they can do. He knows more about how to win a football game than any of us.

davieloyal
28-02-2009, 19:00

who's fault is it then you blaming the spl?

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 19:00
dont talk rubbish the guy is pish simple really didnt he give the free kick away for kaunus first goal also? then the next match smith played him at right back against falkirk away and he was rotten playing a ball across his own box which nearly resulted in a chance for falkirk he should never have played again for rangers so its not ridiculous as you say

He played in several UEFA Cup games last season, he was good enough then. The fact is against Kaunas nearly everyone who played let us down.

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 19:01
In that case, it's no thanks to Walter Smith that we're top now.

You're right, this is simple.

Correct, I've never said Smith should take all the plaudits when we do well.

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 19:02
who's fault is it then you blaming the spl?

I've just said it's not a black and white issue so I'm not likely to turn around and make such a statement, am I?

Cuddles
28-02-2009, 19:03
Correct, I've never said Smith should take all the plaudits when we do well.

I'm confused now. Who are you saying deserves credit for us being top of the SPL?

davieloyal
28-02-2009, 19:05
He played in several UEFA Cup games last season, he was good enough then. The fact is against Kaunas nearly everyone who played let us down.

he had a couple of good games but he should never have been signed hes pish he gave away the goals in kaunus he was never good enough only in your eyes

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 19:05
I'm confused now. Who are you saying deserves credit for us being top of the SPL?

Primarily the players.

Phil Leotardo
28-02-2009, 19:06
he had a couple of good games but he should never have been signed hes pish he gave away the goals in kaunus he was never good enough only in your eyes

My point is you can't blame one person. Dailly was poor against Kaunas. So was Kenny Miller. So was Kevin Thomson. Some people say McGregor was. Do we bin them all?

DylanGer
28-02-2009, 19:13
There are two scenarios that can unfold if you take the OP's point and say that it is how it should be viewed.

Walter will either win us the league or lose us it. That's it, simple.

I cannot forsee any possible scenario that will change most supporters mind about Walter. There really isn't much rational reasoned debate on here about this subject,end of.

Cuddles
28-02-2009, 19:20
There are two scenarios that can unfold if you take the OP's point and say that it is the key point.

Walter will either win us the league or lose us it. That's it, simple.

I cannot forsee any possible scenario that will change most supporters mind about Walter. There really isn't much rational reasoned debate on her about this subject,end of.

You're right, there isn't. And that's a situation entirely of Walter's making, as he constantly makes appalling decisions. I find it impossible to think about or discuss the man without getting furious.

DylanGer
28-02-2009, 19:28
You're right, there isn't. And that's a situation entirely of Walter's making, as he constantly makes appalling decisions. I find it impossible to think about or discuss the man without getting furious.

I'm glad we agree.:D

We all just need to hope that he delivers the title and the debate can move on as to how his standing is after that.

Tagsbear
28-02-2009, 19:43
Tags, people name you regularly because win, lose or draw, you constantly defend the manager. It's nothing personal.

What do you expect people to say when they don't rate the manager and you defend him?

No I don't, if we lose and I think a bad decision has been made by the manager then i will say so, before the game I said it was completely daft to play Lafferty on the left, and i still think that, I just don't repeat the same criticism over and over and over again, in fact if there is someone who does exactly the opposite of what you claim I do then its yourself, the Rangers Grinch:).

talktalk
28-02-2009, 19:46
if we play the same and win 1-0 in every game we will have the treble,i for one would be happy.

Tagsbear
28-02-2009, 19:50
It's Smith's fault that we bought 3 strikers when we didn't have (and still don't have) a single left-back in the squad.
It's Smith's fault that Velicka is at the club, Martin Bain didn;t pick him.
It's Smith's fault that a £2m right-back plays at left-mid while Aaorn sits on the bench.

Smith is a truly terrible football manager. We would have been better off with Strachan, as his SPL record shows.

Serious question, Walter is a truly terrible football manager in your opinion, despite player after player praising him to the high heavens and him being highly regarded in football, so you must really think you are a capable of being a better football manager than him so why aren't you involved in football at a high level?

baystatebear
28-02-2009, 19:59
Whilst it is something of a cliche to say that a team often reflects the character of the manager, I would say that the cautious, safety-first, play-the-percentages approach that has come to characterise this current Rangers team, does indeed have 'Walter Smith' stamped all over it.

It seems to me that Smith has settled on a strategy of containment, ie. shut the opposition down and try to sneak a goal, if not, then a draw will do, just don't lose. He is banking of course, that celtc are prone to more slip-ups than Rangers, and that at the end of the day it is his teams' greater consistency that will eventually win the day. I hope to god he's right.

Tagsbear
28-02-2009, 20:00
Whilst it is something of a cliche to say that a team often reflects the character of the manager, I would say that the cautious, safety-first, play-the-percentages approach that has come to characterise this current Rangers team, does indeed have 'Walter Smith' stamped all over it.

It seems to me that Smith has settled on a strategy of containment, ie. shut the opposition down and try to sneak a goal, if not, then a draw will do, just don't lose. He is banking of course, that celtc are prone to more slip-ups than Rangers, and that at the end of the day it is his teams' greater consistency that will eventually win the day. I hope to god he's right.

If we had took even half our chances today, and there was some really good ones, we would have won by about 7 goals.

baystatebear
28-02-2009, 20:19
If we had took even half our chances today, and there was some really good ones, we would have won by about 7 goals.

Introducing a defensive player, Whittaker, for a forward, Lafferty, against a very, very, ordinary Hamilton side, especially with options such as Beasley, Aaron, and Fleck readily available, tells me all I need to know about Walter Smith and his priorities. Surely, if the strikers were misfiring and blowing chances, then they should have been replaced with other forwards (not a fullback), with a view to boosting our goal difference advantage.

Tagsbear
28-02-2009, 20:22
Introducing a defensive player, Whittaker, for a forward, Lafferty, against a very, very, ordinary Hamilton side, especially with options such as Beasley, Aaron, and Fleck readily available, tells me all I need to know about Walter Smith and his priorities. Surely, if the strikers were misfiring and blowing chances, then they should have been replaced with other forwards (not a fullback), with a view to boosting our goal difference advantage.

Naismith was brought on for Miller so that was attempted.

I'm not going to argue that Walter isn't a pragmatic manager, as he is, but we have been going for it in most games and the fact we have the best goal difference in the league backs that up.

dannywilde
28-02-2009, 20:24
Serious question, Walter is a truly terrible football manager in your opinion, despite player after player praising him to the high heavens and him being highly regarded in football, so you must really think you are a capable of being a better football manager than him so why aren't you involved in football at a high level?

Leave it, thery won't listen.
When we're top is "despite Walter" when we're not is "because of Walter".
Walter has his faults but the abuse he goes under here it's beyond belief.

dannywilde
28-02-2009, 20:28
Introducing a defensive player, Whittaker, for a forward, Lafferty, against a very, very, ordinary Hamilt

A team performance reflect the way the opponents are playing.
Accies have been looked poor today because the first 11 Walter choose was spot on and the attitude was impeccable from the start.
Whittaker was introduced late on in the game when it became more evident that we struggled to get the second goal.

Cuddles
28-02-2009, 20:31

I don't work in football management because I never played football to any decent level, mainly because I was/still am crap. I have no wish whatever to be a football manager. I just don't want Walter Smith to be ours because he's demonstrably not the best we could get and that's what I demand.

Now you've mentioned it, though, I do have some experience of running leisure companies so I know with absolute certainty I could do a better job running Rangers than Martin Bain. And I'm deadly serious.

Tagsbear
28-02-2009, 20:35
I don't work in football management because I never played football to any decent level, mainly because I was/still am crap. I have no wish whatever to be a football manager. I just don't want Walter Smith to be ours because he's demonstrably not the best we could get and that's what I demand.

Now you've mentioned it, though, I do have some experience of running leisure companies so I know with absolute certainty I could do a better job running Rangers than Martin Bain. And I'm deadly serious.

Who is the best we could get?

Not going to argue with your second point one bit though.

Pavlyuchenkos Vodka Bottle
28-02-2009, 20:37

Get a grip!
Its people like you that are preventing the club moving forward!:mad:

Cuddles
28-02-2009, 20:39
Who is the best we could get?

Not going to argue with your second point one bit though.

Don't know mate. I hoped Paul le Guen but what a flop that was.

After today, I'm convinced Smith's safety-first approach and negative tactics will backfire and cost us like they did last year.

Tagsbear
28-02-2009, 20:47
Don't know mate. I hoped Paul le Guen but what a flop that was.

After today, I'm convinced Smith's safety-first approach and negative tactics will backfire and cost us like they did last year.

I wouldn't expect you to expect anything less than total and utter disaster anyway:p

I didn't think we were negative today, we just didn't stick away our umpteen chances, Boyd would have scored a hat-trick on a normal day given the opportunities he had.

Ken11
28-02-2009, 20:52
I'm glad we agree.:D

We all just need to hope that he delivers the title and the debate can move on as to how his standing is after that.

Even if he does win the league I still hope Walter will do the right thing and leave.

He has spent 20+million on new players yet we still can't play players in their correct positions and continue to play turgid, boring, long ball football? And has everyone forgot Kaunas already?

And if we do qualify for the Champions League then we will be set up for more failure. But hey, who cares when we will have 10million in the bank eh?

walker06
28-02-2009, 20:53
Still top of the league ;)

briggsy
28-02-2009, 21:12

we do, Fleck, Aaron & Beasley are all capable of doing a job in their natural position, so the question has to be asked, why does he play a striker there when he has 3 left wingers. as someone said, Walter is our biggerst threat to the title.

chosenfew
28-02-2009, 21:17
walter has shown over the years that he knows enough about the game in Scotland to keep us in contention to win titles and trophys, but lets not kid ourselves he has on many occasions a lack of forward thinking on europe and on what positions need looked at before the season starts as the defeat to Kanus showed. We are still in with a great shout of winning this poor league but its been more the case that the other mob have been poor from being seven points clear .

Cuddles
28-02-2009, 21:22
I wouldn't expect you to expect anything less than total and utter disaster anyway:p

I didn't think we were negative today, we just didn't stick away our umpteen chances, Boyd would have scored a hat-trick on a normal day given the opportunities he had.

You know me mate, always mentally prepare for the worst so it makes it slightly easier to bear. ;)

As always, I hope with all my heart I'm wrong and you optimists have it right.

berkshiretrueblue
28-02-2009, 22:08
Even having Whittaker on the bench is a joke. The guy is more likely to cost us games than win us games.

Smith was happy to hold on for a 1 - 0 vcictory in a game where we should have won by three or four.
Some decent performances though from guys like Edu, Davis, ferguson and Miller and a decent shift from Boyd.

jamcl_jamcl
28-02-2009, 22:12
It works either way doesn't it

If we win the league it is because of him if we don't it is because of him.

The blame will always lie at his feet because he is the manager

To say he will " cost us the league " is a pretty obvious statement.

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 22:13
I've added a poll to see what most think.

Gary_L
28-02-2009, 22:16
I've added a poll to see what most think.

i think you will be surprised at the result

M A R T I N
28-02-2009, 23:10
Would just like to know what the majority think mate

jam33
28-02-2009, 23:29
Not read all the posts, as they're probably pretty obvious, which is understandable.

He's the most stubborn bugger in the whole world.

If we win the league it will be purely down to the dhims throwing it away and us playing reasonably well in some games. If he played a more positive system in all our games then we'd have more points than we currently do. Simple as that.

johnboy
01-03-2009, 01:35
This is a man who sits in the stand nodding off,I always wondered what Durrants purpose was, now I know,it,s to give Walter a shake when he falls asleeep,I mean come on theres 3 players there today who could and should have replaced Lafferty but what does the bold Wattie do,he puts on Whittaker,for no other reason than to close down the game,now there maybe some among us that agree with these tactics and thats up to you but away and support Partick Thistle if thats the way you think,if and I hope we win this pish league we difinitely will win it despite of Smith and not because of him

johnboy
01-03-2009, 01:38
If we win 1-0 next week and Celtic win 7-0 again, we won't be top of the SPL any more.

Sometimes you have to make your superiority count.

Mate,you will have to explain yourself a but clearer,thats far to sensible for some on here

johnboy
01-03-2009, 01:44

So what is it you expect these people to say about him FFS,actions speak louder than words

johnboy
01-03-2009, 02:26
We had about 20 attempts on goal and dominated from start to finish. The way teams set up in the SPL it isn't always conducive to free flowing total football.

Hamilton set out to have a go ,infact of the two teams as usual it was Mr Smiths team who were the most cautious(no surprise there)

sherbrook_loyal
01-03-2009, 12:41
I agree with the thread's sentiments.

I've long maintained that if we win the SPL this season it will be in spite of Smith, not because of him.

M A R T I N
01-03-2009, 14:12
The thing is if we do win this league, will walter give up ?
I doubt he will, and thats the worrying thing for me again next seasn

gerdownsouth
01-03-2009, 14:12
What is wrong with the simple philosophy of bringing in good players for the positions you need, and playing them in their natural positions, where you can get the best out of them?! It baffles me that this seems an alien policy to those in charge at Rangers!:mad:

Couldn't agree more and yesterday was a perfect example. I mean I honestly believe that there is more in Lafferty than we have seen but the guy is a forward, why did we buy him and then play him wide, its madness?

bernbear
01-03-2009, 14:38
In my opinion we will win the league in spite of WS. Any half decent tactically sound manager would win us this league. Our squad although not great is superior to theirs in all positions. Cant think of any sceptic player that would get a game ahead of our players. Maybe MacDonald but I hate the prick.

WATP

km2008
01-03-2009, 14:47

people like you are why he gets away with it. we are top of the league because celtic are as crap as us not by some master plan walters got he has got to start playing players where they belong not all this crap he did in the 9 in row seasons lucky for us then we had great players to inspite of his so called tatics won the games

Liviger
01-03-2009, 15:00
The game should have been over in the first half! Hamilton couldn't get the ball off us, we were absolutely all over them.

Should at least have been 3 or 4 in front going in at the break....

A1bertz
01-03-2009, 15:02
As things start to hit the final furlong in this championship race....
The old Dinosaur will revert back to what he knows best....
How to put out a boring / hard to beat team....If he goes where I think he is going we have more dissapointing away day draws to look forward to.

That game yesterday....any other top6 team and we would have struggled to have taken 3 points.

Yesterday for example, it was obvious to all bar the dinosaur, that Hamilton's right hand side was weak, very weak. Lafferty was finding lots of space, just a pitty he's just not equipped to know what to do with the ball when he finds it in that space. Out there at left mid, he's nothing short of crap, always has been, always will be.

This is where a good manager earns his corn, he sees a chink in his opponents armour and makes changes to exploit it.....Not our Dinosaur though.

3 points yesterday - great, but crazy how difficult a game that should comfortably have been won ended up. Yes it was a bit one sided at times, but there must have been a few squeaky bums out there in the last 15 mins or so?

One jammy shot, cruel deflection, soft penalty and we'd have fecked up the league position so generously handed to us on a plate by the Tattie munchers.

Tagsbear
01-03-2009, 15:06
I agree with the thread's sentiments.

I've long maintained that if we win the SPL this season it will be in spite of Smith, not because of him.

And this 'in spite of' stuff is still a load of nonsense.

If we win the league the manager deserves credit for putting a side together to win it, if we lose it he deserves criticism.

It really bugs me this kind of stuff on here, Walter is to get zero credit if things go right, but dogs abuse if things go wrong, how fekkin utterly ridiculous.

Tagsbear
01-03-2009, 15:07
As things start to hit the final furlong in this championship race....
The old Dinosaur will revert back to what he knows best....
How to put out a boring / hard to beat team....If he goes where I think he is going we have more dissapointing away day draws to look forward to.

That game yesterday....any other top6 team and we would have struggled to have taken 3 points.

Yesterday for example, it was obvious to all bar the dinosaur, that Hamilton's right hand side was weak, very weak. Lafferty was finding lots of space, just a pitty he's just not equipped to know what to do with the ball when he finds it in that space. Out there at left mid, he's nothing short of crap, always has been, always will be.

This is where a good manager earns his corn, he sees a chink in his opponents armour and makes changes to exploit it.....Not our Dinosaur though.

3 points yesterday - great, but crazy how difficult a game that should comfortably have been won ended up. Yes it was a bit one sided at times, but there must have been a few squeaky bums out there in the last 15 mins or so?

One jammy shot, cruel deflection, soft penalty and we'd have fecked up the league position so generously handed to us on a plate by the Tattie munchers.

Your post would maybe be took more serious and be worth debating if you refrained from the infantile name calling.

spirit_of_93
01-03-2009, 15:21
Why are the poll options yes and not at all, instead of just yes and no?

GioLoyal
01-03-2009, 15:24
Why are the poll options yes and not at all, instead of just yes and no?

I didn't start the poll but:

Is Walter our biggest threat?

No

or

Not at all.

What's the difference? Aren't both answers effectively the same?

Surely if you don't think Walter's our biggest threat, and no doubt you don't, then you would have no problem answering 'not at all'.

leander loyal
01-03-2009, 15:24
its time walter had a long hard look at himself, and give ally and kenny a bigger say when it comes to things like team selection and formations.

spirit_of_93
01-03-2009, 15:32
I didn't start the poll but:

Is Walter our biggest threat?

No

or

Not at all.

What's the difference? Aren't both answers effectively the same?

Surely if you don't think Walter's our biggest threat, and no doubt you don't, then you would have no problem answering 'not at all'.

The question is is Walter our biggest threat. You may think that some of his selections are strange at times and this may be a problem, but you don't think Smith is our biggest threat. So by making the option 'not at all' it seems to me to be a bit of a dissuader for that particular option.

If the options were 'yes he definately is', no, and undecided that again would seem to have an emphasis in the other direction.

So why not just have it as a simple yes or no?

GioLoyal
01-03-2009, 15:34
The question is is Walter our biggest threat. You may think that some of his selections are strange at times and this may be a problem, but you don't think Smith is our biggest threat. So by making the option 'not at all' it seems to me to be a bit of a dissuader for that particular option.

If the options were 'yes he definately is', no, and undecided that again would seem to have an emphasis in the other direction.

So why not just have it as a simple yes or no?

Ah I see what you're saying now.

Again though if you're a poster who doesn't think Smith is our biggest thread then you would have no problem answering 'not at all' just as you would have no problem answering 'no'.

jjbscotty
01-03-2009, 15:36

Rant over :(*** we are top of the league still in the Scottish cup and in the final of the League Cup give the guy a break:mad:

M A R T I N
01-03-2009, 15:38
*** we are top of the league still in the Scottish cup and in the final of the League Cup give the guy a break:mad:

Mccoist takes charge in the cups

A1bertz
01-03-2009, 15:39
Your post would maybe be took more serious and be worth debating if you refrained from the infantile name calling.

No surprise its you here with that comment though.

Dinosaur is used as an adjective to describe an 'old' and aging manager who has had his day. Its hardly name calling.

spirit_of_93
01-03-2009, 15:41
Ah I see what you're saying now.

Again though if you're a poster who doesn't think Smith is our biggest thread then you would have no problem answering 'not at all' just as you would have no problem answering 'no'.

True, but I don't see why you need to put a particular emphasis like that on one option and not the other. Pedantic loyal. :p

derbybear
01-03-2009, 15:41
*** we are top of the league still in the Scottish cup and in the final of the League Cup give the guy a break:mad:

and we haven't won anything yet.

Walter has reverted to type and gone on the defence which we found out to our cost last year by winning.........

The people have every right to be concerned when they see the likes of Lafferty played wide left and compounded by bringing on Whitaker.

spirit_of_93
01-03-2009, 15:42
No surprise its you here with that comment though.

Dinosaur is used as an adjective to describe an 'old' and aging manager who has had his day. Its hardly name calling.

I don't see what his age has to do with anything how old is Alex Ferguson? Is he a dinosaur?

davieboy1873
01-03-2009, 15:43
I think we will win the league:eek:

M A R T I N
01-03-2009, 15:45
I don't see what his age has to do with anything how old is Alex Ferguson? Is he a dinosaur?

I dont think he means his age, its his tactics etc

Dunantblue
01-03-2009, 15:47
If we win every game remaining 1-0 we win the league.

We are in poll position with him as mamager. Lets see what happens come season's end.

gazza41
01-03-2009, 15:50
Yes.

He should have been sacked after Kanaus :mad:, I don't think he could even spell tactics.

WATP.

derbybear
01-03-2009, 15:51

We are in poll position with him as mamager. Lets see what happens come season's end.

and the chances of that?

We have missed opportunitys v Aberdeen, the tarriers and yesterday to increase the lead.

Waltersuarus's negativity hindered us.

Awe naw - called Walter a name - shoot me!

spirit_of_93
01-03-2009, 15:56
I dont think he means his age, its his tactics etc

While his tactics can tend on the cautious side with the 451, its how maybe most teams on the continent play these days, its not old fashioned tactics. Most of the time we play 442 now anyway. So his tendency to be cautious isn't actually dinosour tactics, if anything its a reflection on the way the game is now look at the likes of Benetiz at Liverpool.

He has a habit of playing players out of position which is frustrating, but again I don't see how that makes him a dinosaur.

SpongebobSquarePass
01-03-2009, 16:09
Yes. Walter is a liability.

Way too defensive. Mental tactical decisions. Seems to consider width a luxury.

bigy
01-03-2009, 16:13
Walter came back to us in our time of need, taking the ridicule that came with turning his back on the national team, and has done a terrific job.

He took us to the end of every competition last year, and if it wasn't for us being stitched up we'd have won the league last year along with the CIS and Scottish and UEFA final.

This year he made an arse of Europe, but have bounced back, are in one cup final, still on the Scottish Cup, top of the league with the best goal difference and a comparably easier run in than Celtic.

The treatment of Walter by some on here is nothing short of absolutely disgraceful.

Cuddles
01-03-2009, 16:22

Dunant, come on. You can do better than glib, cliched one-liners.

Walter is a frightened old man who will put out progressively more defensively minded teams as the finishing line draw nearer.

If you aren't getting increasingly concerned by now, you should be.

PartickGer
01-03-2009, 16:26
It is time to go and win the league as the bheggars have let us back in much sooner than could ever have been expected. I fear we may find Walter's 'happy with an away draw' mentality could be the difference between winning the league and finishing a disasterous second.

We are the superior side this season but we need to get rid of this negative mentality.

BRSC
02-03-2009, 17:57
Voted no, we will win in spite of him.

StuartyRfc1991
02-03-2009, 18:01
Dont care as long as we win.

Feel The Burn
02-03-2009, 19:13

its ok saying when was the last time we got humped, but we are out of europe and cant beat a decent top six team away from home mate.

sherbrook_loyal
02-03-2009, 21:07
And this 'in spite of' stuff is still a load of nonsense.

If we win the league the manager deserves credit for putting a side together to win it, if we lose it he deserves criticism.

It really bugs me this kind of stuff on here, Walter is to get zero credit if things go right, but dogs abuse if things go wrong, how fekkin utterly ridiculous.

No, it's not.
We have, in my opinion, a better goalkeeper than Celtic, a far superior defence, a better midfield and better strikers.
We should be some distance ahead of them in the league table, but we're not - therefore, I stand by my assertion that if we win the SPL in will have been in spite of the manager and not because of him.

two2tango
02-03-2009, 21:37
the problem i have with walter i she doesnt seem to pick players in wide positions based on there ability to deliver performances.

this cost us last season and has and will cost us again this season!!

does anyone think he gets the most out of the resouces given to him in the nature or the squad, spending and murray park?

i dont

Northampton_loyalist
02-03-2009, 22:38
No, it's not.
We have, in my opinion, a better goalkeeper than Celtic, a far superior defence, a better midfield and better strikers.
We should be some distance ahead of them in the league table, but we're not - therefore, I stand by my assertion that if we win the SPL in will have been in spite of the manager and not because of him.

how many points, according to FF wisdom have we been cheated out of? how many points have they been gifted? how many teams do people on here claim lie down to them but play up against us? If FF is correct on ANY of them it is a miracle we are top, and would be so if SAF was in charge

Triple_Haggis
02-03-2009, 23:07
Smith is a numpty end of thread!:ninja:

joe1958
02-03-2009, 23:14
On the other hand 8 clean sheets in the last 10 games is a decent showing in his defence.

the facts dont matter -- when you sign up for the murray/walter/ally out rent-a-mob :o

angus young
02-03-2009, 23:19
Considering how much money he has spent, to continually play guys out of position where he thinks they can 'do a job' absolutely sickens me.

Agreed, far too many players been played in the wrong position.

Go_Bert_Go
02-03-2009, 23:31
Walter's defensive mentality will WIN us the league this year.

He will grind out single goal away wins, while the yahoos flounder with their silkycavileerfitbaitsthesellikway when away from the San Giro.

After that he can move upstairs and hopefully a more progressive coach can blend pragmatism with decent football.

potnbear
03-03-2009, 01:23
we are top of the league by virtue of the teams below us being absolute rank rotten.Smith will only get away with this for so long.We have the worse Celtic team in years at our heels.We constantly fail to beat the top 6 away from home but im glad a lot of people are content and looking forward to the same run in as last year where imo he blew it big time and looks like the bottle is crashing again and trying to play with his so called experience in all the wrong places. Yes we are top of the league but it would be difficult not to be when the shite below have won 4 out of 9 only

Cuddles
03-03-2009, 07:57
Walter's defensive mentality will WIN us the league this year.

He will grind out single goal away wins, while the yahoos flounder with their silkycavileerfitbaitsthesellikway when away from the San Giro.

After that he can move upstairs and hopefully a more progressive coach can blend pragmatism with decent football.

Celtic will win more points away from home than we will for the remainder of the season. As the finsihing line gets nearer, Walter will get more anxious, the players will look nervous during games, Walter will make progressively more defensive-minded teasm (expect to see a lot more of Whittaker and McCulloch) and as a result we'll win fewer games, particularly away form home.

Bookmark this thread if you don't believe me and see if I'm right at the end of May.

blueboy49
03-03-2009, 13:34
we are top of the league by virtue of the teams below us being absolute rank rotten.Smith will only get away with this for so long.We have the worse Celtic team in years at our heels.We constantly fail to beat the top 6 away from home but im glad a lot of people are content and looking forward to the same run in as last year where imo he blew it big time and looks like the bottle is crashing again and trying to play with his so called experience in all the wrong places. Yes we are top of the league but it would be difficult not to be when the shite below have won 4 out of 9 only
i am most intrigued by the sentiment he "blew it big time last season" and would be most grateful if you could elaborate on this reasoning.Thankyou.

BigSteve
03-03-2009, 17:51

Celtic blow a 7 point lead but our bottle is crashing? :confused:

kevfromkent
03-03-2009, 18:27
we look far the better side going into the run in. we literally ran out of tried & tested players last season through injury & tiredness - i don't blame him for not blooding youngsters in that environment. this season our SQUAD looks far more capable

M A R T I N
04-03-2009, 11:56
we look far the better side going into the run in. we literally ran out of tried & tested players last season through injury & tiredness - i don't blame him for not blooding youngsters in that environment. this season our SQUAD looks far more capable

Yes the players we have in the squad look capable, but thats if their played in their natural positions and get the green light to attack.

The Caretaker
04-03-2009, 12:16
Away from home, the negativity is a worry.

When we get a goal up, we seem to end up hanging on for grim death.

Bearing in mind some of the places we still have to go and pick up points, there is no way we wont end up conceding a late goal or two when we've got 8 defenders on the park and clinging on for a 1-0 !

Sad to say it, but yes, Walter porbably is our biggest threat to losing the league now :(

PS - also expect a 4-1-4-1 in the cup final, playing for penalties......

hazybear
04-03-2009, 12:16
aye he's a dick isnt he ????

remind me, what position are we in the league again ?????

M A R T I N
05-03-2009, 00:14

You tell me smarty pants ?

ps..

who called him a dick ?

si72
05-03-2009, 00:32

2nd so there you go:roll:

Deejj206
05-03-2009, 00:38
On Saturday Billy Reid made a tactical substitution half way through the first half and changed his formation. Walter Smith never changes his tactics. It was obvious early on that Broadfoot was doing very little or no defending and was heavily involved going forward. His distribution is piss poor so take him off and bring on Naismith or Aaron and go 3-5-2 or 3-4-3.

The guy is becoming a laughing stock with four results and performances this season that have been as bad as I can ever remember, Kaunas Home and Away, St Mirren Away and tonight.

Albertz Was King
05-03-2009, 00:57
He’s our Benitez.

We will never win the league with him in charge. He is clueless.

Alf Mann
05-03-2009, 00:59
I can't believe the result tonight but hopefully Walter will be able to rally the troops.

It's a setback but they're useless and will drop points too.

pelem
05-03-2009, 01:04
he will cost us more than the league. walter smith is done.

M A R T I N
05-03-2009, 01:07
I can't believe the result tonight but hopefully Walter will be able to rally the troops.

It's a setback but they're useless and will drop points too.

Surely you jest :confused: