PDA

View Full Version : Man City Have Spent 310M....

Sebo23
24-07-2017, 15:01
... Just on defenders and goalkeepers since 2014.

In that time they have won 1 League Cup.

Pep has spent more than 200M of that on his own for defenders and goalkeepers alone.

Do we make them favourites for the EPL this year? Is he under pressure if they don't win it? Should we be expecting the Champions League for that sort of outlay?

Also, does being able to spend so much diminish how we judge him as as a coach, or is it just accepted now that that's the way the modern game is?

Souness86
24-07-2017, 15:04
Chelsea are by far still the team to beat

Ross94
24-07-2017, 15:15
Chelsea are by far still the team to beat

Looks like they are selling Costa and Matic, they will be harder than it looks to replace imo. If they can play as well as last season then you're correct, not many teams could cope with their formation change.

Drumchapel-Bear
24-07-2017, 15:16
Transfer fees mean nothing nowadays in all honesty. They are totally irrelevant (down in England).

This is the final phase of his rebuild, he only done half of it last season. He inherited an aging squad and whilst getting a superb initial reaction out of them, they ran out of steam after an unbelievable start were pundits were saying it was the best football they had ever seen in the EPL as they won their first 10 games or something. His demands were probably too much on an ageing squad.

I really expect them to be sensational this season now that he's got proper fullbacks in who can play to his style. It's crucial that the keeper he has signed works out though if they want to win the title.

ICA_86
24-07-2017, 15:18
... Just on defenders and goalkeepers since 2014.

In that time they have won 1 League Cup.

Pep has spent more than 200M of that on his own for defenders and goalkeepers alone.

Do we make them favourites for the EPL this year? Is he under pressure if they don't win it? Should we be expecting the Champions League for that sort of outlay?

Also, does being able to spend so much diminish how we judge him as as a coach, or is it just accepted now that that's the way the modern game is?

It's the modern game, especially in the Premiership.

The players they've brought in are absolute quality as well, they have a genuinely world class set of full backs now and that's some step up from Clichy and Kolarov.

There's the whole ideology thing around Pep and this bizarre wankathon about him developing players, but like all managers of big clubs and clubs pretending to be big, he's just a chequebook manager.

Souness86
24-07-2017, 15:21
Looks like they are selling Costa and Matic, they will be harder than it looks to replace imo. If they can play as well as last season then you're correct, not many teams could cope with their formation change.

They've already replaced them with Morata and Bakayoko.

Drumchapel-Bear
24-07-2017, 15:26
It's the modern game, especially in the Premiership.

The players they've brought in are absolute quality as well, they have a genuinely world class set of full backs now and that's some step up from Clichy and Kolarov.

There's the whole ideology thing around Pep and this bizarre wankathon about him developing players, but like all managers of big clubs and clubs pretending to be big, he's just a chequebook manager.

Pep's strength is on the training field not in the transfer market spending money.

Blue Tack
24-07-2017, 15:35
He's a good manager however he's built up way above this talents ,the pep myth has more than a ring of truth to it .

Ross94
24-07-2017, 15:50
They've already replaced them with Morata and Bakayoko.

I don't think they'll be as good though, we'll see! Hopefully we get a season with a few teams having a good chance of the title, the Manchester clubs and Chelsea are obvious but I'd like to see spurs up there again and maybe even arsenal move away from their usual 4th place.

Top_Cat
24-07-2017, 15:54
He's a good manager however he's built up way above this talents ,the pep myth has more than a ring of truth to it .

Can see him getting binned if they have a mediocre start to the season

bearcage
24-07-2017, 15:57
It all about fair play seriously it will be a tight premier league this year with everyone doing business except Spurs looking for some cracking games.

SemperParatus
24-07-2017, 15:59

Chelsea have already replaced them

SemperParatus
24-07-2017, 16:00
I don't think they'll be as good though, we'll see! Hopefully we get a season with a few teams having a good chance of the title, the Manchester clubs and Chelsea are obvious but I'd like to see spurs up there again and maybe even arsenal move away from their usual 4th place.

Bakayoko is better than Matic, Morata is different to Costa and hard to compare.

ICA_86
24-07-2017, 16:22
Pep's strength is on the training field not in the transfer market spending money.

Well, I don't think you can say that at City.

They've got the best academy in England, a ton of youth players including a few decent full backs - Maffeo and Angelino namely - yet he's still went out and blown a small fortune on four new ones.

That doesn't strike me as a coaching messiah currently, I must say.

Drumchapel-Bear
24-07-2017, 16:26
Well, I don't think you can say that at City.

They've got the best academy in England, a ton of youth players including a few decent full backs - Maffeo and Angelino namely - yet he's still went out and blown a small fortune on four new ones.

That doesn't strike me as a coaching messiah currently, I must say.

Nobody comes through the youth ranks at the top clubs unless you are absolutely exceptional. And that's the way it should be.

cloodie
24-07-2017, 18:05
They've spent 125 million on full backs alone in the last fortnight. Incredible.

DeneRFC
24-07-2017, 18:09
They've spend 125 million on full backs alone in the last fortnight. Incredible.

It is incredible, but when you look at City, they haven't spent any money on a full back for a few years. I think the last money spent on a full back was Clichy 6 years ago.

Just seems a lot because it's all once instead of buying full backs over the course of 6 years.

Plantation Pioneer
24-07-2017, 18:13
Lost all full backs so needed replaced , and when you're minted it's better buying Armani than primark. That's not to say they will be successful, hard work brings that with better players.

superrangers
24-07-2017, 18:50
Transfer fees mean nothing nowadays in all honesty. They are totally irrelevant (down in England).

This is the final phase of his rebuild, he only done half of it last season. He inherited an aging squad and whilst getting a superb initial reaction out of them, they ran out of steam after an unbelievable start were pundits were saying it was the best football they had ever seen in the EPL as they won their first 10 games or something. His demands were probably too much on an ageing squad.

I really expect them to be sensational this season now that he's got proper fullbacks in who can play to his style. It's crucial that the keeper he has signed works out though if they want to win the title.

Sorry but 'the final phase of his rebuild,' is just horseshit. This is a side that will continue to blow hundreds of millions of pounds.

The fact their squad was 'aging' is no-one's fault bar their own and is in spite of spending 1bn plus, not years of under-investment.

Manchester City are second only to Paedo fc in the loathesome stakes.

im_a_good_bluenose
24-07-2017, 18:58
Bakayoko is better than Matic, Morata is different to Costa and hard to compare.

I think morata will be a sensation in the EPL. Chelsea has been a strikers nightmare before but this guy I think will be class

Henderson63
24-07-2017, 19:54
Sorry but 'the final phase of his rebuild,' is just horseshit. This is a side that will continue to blow hundreds of millions of pounds.

The fact their squad was 'aging' is no-one's fault bar their own and is in spite of spending 1bn plus, not years of under-investment.

??? Hibs, Arabs, Sheep....etc

glasgowsteve
24-07-2017, 21:21
Outrageous - even in the perverse world of the EPL.

If he doesn't win either the league of the CL soon he'll be out the door.

Southern_Ger
24-07-2017, 21:38

They have completely inflated the transfer market, fees and wages, in order to bring in the players they wanted. 50M for a full back from Spurs who wasn't even in the first team by the end of the season!!

There was no need to spend that kind of money on albeit good but not special players and now the market has been distorted and it's unfair on other clubs just because they have more money than anyone else.

Where will it all end?

gorams_glayva
24-07-2017, 22:17
??? Hibs, Arabs, Sheep....etc

Dont worry about it...he`s obsessed with City, has been for a while now.

Kensington Blue Nose
25-07-2017, 01:57
So how to they get this spending by the FFP committee?

Captain_Buns
25-07-2017, 02:16
That'll be why we ting a bonus this year in work then! :)

bob1873
25-07-2017, 06:50

Costa is a bit out there but he's a hell of a player on his game and Matic is quietly effective the two replacements will need to go some to actually replace their impact. I think City will be THE team in the EPL although I'd personally prefer Chelsea I like the colour of their kit!

miraculous
25-07-2017, 10:27
Ithey have a genuinely world class set of full backs now

you "genuinely" think walker is world class?

Drumchapel-Bear
25-07-2017, 11:20

I'm not a fan of Man City, I'm a fan of Pep Guardiola and his style of football.

You are just coming across as a bit jealous in all honesty. If a rich Sheikh was to come into Rangers tomorrow and pump hundreds of millions into us, everyone of us would be buzzing.

All we are seeing really in the EPL is all the clubs moving the big pot of gold Sky/BT give them around each other.

TPB90
25-07-2017, 11:30
City really are a loathsome club. I hope they struggle this season and Pep gets the bullet.

Govan Front Ger
25-07-2017, 11:45
They will still struggle to 4th place.

You cant buy guaranteed success, 300M is a sickening amount of money to spend, imo they are a complete corporate shell and a club with no Soul.

stellaartois
25-07-2017, 11:45

Cannot agree with this... Rijkaard left him a fantastic team at Barca and Heynckes done the same at Bayern. He got found out this year with his tactical blunders.

stellaartois
25-07-2017, 11:52
They've spent 125 million on full backs alone in the last fortnight. Incredible.

Had to google to see the players they have signed... A top left back in Mendy and a top right back in Danilo. No idea why they paid almost 50m for Walker. That is absurd.

ScoGovLoyal
25-07-2017, 12:01
The headline figures are utterly meaningless in the context of EPL finances.

While about the other Manchester club, this article form the BBC demonstrates this;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37045474

Man Utd would have to spend over 300m in one summer to take the same hit on turnover expenditure as they did when they signed Law back in 1962 for 155,000. That is the reality of the market down there.

Drumchapel-Bear
25-07-2017, 12:01
Cannot agree with this... Rijkaard left him a fantastic team at Barca and Heynckes done the same at Bayern. He got found out this year with his tactical blunders.

Not this myth again. They finished 4th in La Liga the previous season when Pep took over.

Sebo23
25-07-2017, 12:04
Just read somewhere that Pep has spent more money than Mourinho in the years since he's been a manager, & that includes a years sabbatical.

Drumchapel-Bear
25-07-2017, 12:07
Just read somewhere that Pep has spent more money than Mourinho in the years since he's been a manager, & that includes a years sabbatical.

It'll be majorly skewed by what he has spent at City. I don't remember him off the top of my head spending ridiculous money at Barca and Bayern.

stellaartois
25-07-2017, 12:25
Not this myth again. They finished 4th in La Liga the previous season when Pep took over.

They were 3rd i believe but it was the squad of players he had been left. Feck all to do with his training methods. Ask celic how good a coach he is when they c&nts managed a draw against them.

As for spending, a quick search says he spent almost 350m euros at barca and over 200m euros at Bayern.

EDIT: Just noticed, it was 2 draws the c*nts got against them.

The Bridge
25-07-2017, 12:34

My list was way longer than one before I even got close to Man City 😂

The Bridge
25-07-2017, 12:44
I'm not a fan of Man City, I'm a fan of Pep Guardiola and his style of football.

You are just coming across as a bit jealous in all honesty. If a rich Sheikh was to come into Rangers tomorrow and pump hundreds of millions into us, everyone of us would be buzzing.

All we are seeing really in the EPL is all the clubs moving the big pot of gold Sky/BT give them around each other.

There was a fantastic article a few years back where the owners of City claimed that the acquisition of the club had saved their corporation some ridiculous amount a year and the reason? They had spend years and billions trying to up the branding of their company to no avail. I think at one point that equated to half a billion in one year alone. They have bought City and shelved their branding as City being shown globally in the EPL gives them more branding than money can buy. So owning a football club (for them at least) was an accretive acquisition. Probably explains why they are throwing money at it without a care.

Drumchapel-Bear
25-07-2017, 12:56
They were 3rd i believe but it was the squad of players he had been left. Feck all to do with his training methods. Ask celic how good a coach he is when they c&nts managed a draw against them.

As for spending, a quick search says he spent almost 350m euros at barca and over 200m euros at Bayern.

EDIT: Just noticed, it was 2 draws the c*nts got against them.

Well you've convinced me now. He's drew with Celtic so he must be a sh*te coach, never mind what Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Henry, Lahm, Xabi Alonso etc etc all think of him, I mean what do these guys know eh! :D

ScoGovLoyal
25-07-2017, 13:39
Saw this on Twitter;

Annual spending on defence:

USA 820bn
Cuba 700m
Man City 200m
Bosnia 180m
Congo 135m

jdilla
25-07-2017, 13:47

Sheer, unadulterated bollocks

stellaartois
25-07-2017, 13:49
Well you've convinced me now. He's drew with Celtic so he must be a sh*te coach, never mind what Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Henry, Lahm, Xabi Alonso etc etc all think of him, I mean what do these guys know eh! :D

All about opinions mate. You have yours that you want to have his babies, i think he is vastly overrated and being found out at a wee pishy team like City.

stellaartois
25-07-2017, 13:51
Sheer, unadulterated bollocks

Is it?.................

So did Pepe bring throuhg the likes of Messi, Xavi, Ineista?

Naw didn't think so.

51+3Easy
25-07-2017, 13:53
Arsenal and Spurs could be in for a long season with the other sides around them strengthening.

Drumchapel-Bear
25-07-2017, 14:03
All about opinions mate. You have yours that you want to have his babies, i think he is vastly overrated and being found out at a wee pishy team like City.

Jesus Christ, I'm embarrassed for you.

Drumchapel-Bear
25-07-2017, 14:04
Arsenal and Spurs could be in for a long season with the other sides around them strengthening.

I think Arsenal are going to do well this season. Can't underestimate how having no CL will help with regards to their league campaign.

He'll just play the reserves in The Europa unless they go deep into the tournament.

51+3Easy
25-07-2017, 14:05
I think Arsenal are going to do well this season. Can't underestimate how having no CL will help with regards to their league campaign.

He'll just play the reserves in The Europa unless they go deep into the tournament.

If Sanchez leaves they are massively ****ed! Best player in the league imo

Sebo23
25-07-2017, 14:09
It'll be majorly skewed by what he has spent at City. I don't remember him off the top of my head spending ridiculous money at Barca and Bayern.

Breakdown here mate.

http://i63.tinypic.com/t5mvb7.jpg

cav
25-07-2017, 15:01
350 million and counting in two seasons is outrageous,even for the EPL world of craziness.A mate of mine goes down regularly with work and says their youth have some tremendous talent that never get a sniff as well apparently.

I despise Man shitty,but I'd love some of those talented youths on loan at us tbh especially a Left back and a striker if there's a couple on offer.