PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Jack.... Quietly Effective

MearnsUnionist
22-07-2017, 20:36
As Harry Redknapp once said,
"You only notice a defensive midfielder if they're having a stinker."

That could certainly apply to Jack.

He's never going to win MOTM awards, but we now have a DM that knows exactly what his job is and carries out his duties with the minimum of fuss.

Playing against some seriously good midfielders today as well.

TN8
22-07-2017, 20:41
Don't know how long we've been crying out for an actual proper DM, not someone who "can play there", or a LM shoe-horned into the role for some baffling reason as we saw with Halliday - I still have no idea how Warburton reached that decision.

Jack is it. Breaks up play, excellent positioning, picks up loose balls, keeps the play moving with simple passes. Early indications are he'll be one of our best summer signings.

Mr Super Bad
22-07-2017, 20:44
Said earlier, Jack will be a player who others love playing with. Always available, gets players out of dead ends, covers when necessary.

SemperParatus
22-07-2017, 20:44
Don't know how long we've been crying out for an actual proper DM, not someone who "can play there", or a LM shoe-horned into the role for some baffling reason as we saw with Halliday - I still have no idea how Warburton reached that decision.

Jack is it. Breaks up play, excellent positioning, picks up loose balls, keeps the play moving with simple passes. Early indications are he'll be one of our best summer signings.

Warburton is still waiting to hear from John Eustace.

Sparky_72
22-07-2017, 20:48
Warburton is still waiting to hear from John Eustace.

Brilliant hahaha

skyger
22-07-2017, 20:50
I have said on another thread, he will be one of our most important players this season, a terrific and very underrated player , one of our own as well, great signing.

SemperParatus
22-07-2017, 20:51
Brilliant hahaha

He had no back up plan for DM, just like he had no back up plan during games.

superrangers
22-07-2017, 20:52
I'm guessing Redknapp said this when wanting money to sign another defensive midfielder?

Albertz Was King
He's a good anticipator and really organises the games well with second balls and covering spaces vacated by others.

Also thought he broke the lines well travelling with the ball as opposed to getting rid of it as soon as he got it.

Based on what I have seen so far, he is a better player than Rossiter in most departments and therefore deserves his spot.

Top_Cat
He will do the dirty work and that's exactly what we need

gerz1873
22-07-2017, 20:55
I was really impressed with him today
good postional sense and calm on the bsll

TN8
22-07-2017, 20:55
He's a good anticipator and really organises the games well with second balls and covering spaces vacated by others.

Also thought he broke the lines well travelling with the ball as opposed to getting rid of it as soon as he got it.

Based on what I have seen so far, he is a better player than Rossiter in most departments and therefore deserves his spot.

I agree. Most won't I'd imagine - there's an assumption that Rossiter is a great player, but an assumption is all it can be because we just haven't seen anywhere near enough of him to back that up. Jack and Dorrans should be our starting central midfield.

skyger
22-07-2017, 20:57
He had no back up plan for DM, just like he had no back up plan during games.

I quote, plan B, Do plan A better, that was his back up plan.

Zigic
22-07-2017, 21:01
I agree. Most won't I'd imagine - there's an assumption that Rossiter is a great player, but an assumption is all it can be because we just haven't seen anywhere near enough of him to back that up. Jack and Dorrans should be our starting central midfield.

Away at Pittodrie and Parkhead then I'd go Jack and Rossiter with Dorrans one ahead.

Lots of dig about it.

ItsInTheNet
22-07-2017, 21:04
He looked assured throughout and dare I say it his pitch geography was excellent :dya:

Captain Jock
22-07-2017, 21:12
He's a great addition to our team.
Totally "unfussy" but rock solid at the same time.
A great signing.......which will no doubt annoy the Caixhinia haters!

jaymuz7
22-07-2017, 21:14
I'm a massive fan of this laddie already.

Always available for a pass, plenty of dig and can play a bit as well. His awareness is excellent. Jack will be an outstanding bit of business for us

YOGI_GER
22-07-2017, 21:23
Sounds like a better Kevin Thompson.

Walter Loyal
22-07-2017, 21:25

Rossiter has only started 9 matches so far in his career so it's very difficult to form an opinion. He's also missed the vast majority of the past two seasons through injury so i'd imagine it will take him time to to reach a level where he's capable of playing every week injury free.

TPol_RFC
22-07-2017, 21:29
I'm a massive fan of this laddie already.

Always available for a pass, plenty of dig and can play a bit as well. His awareness is excellent. Jack will be an outstanding bit of business for us
I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh at laddie bring actually written down. It's almost as bad as a grown man actually saying it��

skyger
22-07-2017, 21:30
He's a great addition to our team.
Totally "unfussy" but rock solid at the same time.
A great signing.......which will no doubt annoy the Caixhinia haters!

From what I am lead to believe Pedro had no part in Ryan's signing, it was Wharbuton who initially targeted him, don't shoot the messenger.

mrgeebus
22-07-2017, 21:34
To an extent, he flew in under the radar because he came from a Scottish team. I think many of us assumed he'd be backup to Rossiter. As things stand, the position is his to lose in my eyes.

Quite simply, he's a player who enables the rest of the team to play. He'll never do the spectacular but by christ we'll notice when he's not in the team.

Laudrup11_Legend
22-07-2017, 21:38
Thread title describes him perfectly. I've been impressed with how he has played both positionaly and on the ball....

jaymuz7
22-07-2017, 21:39
I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh at laddie bring actually written down. It's almost as bad as a grown man actually saying it��

*** are you slavering about?

MearnsUnionist
22-07-2017, 21:40
From what I am lead to believe Pedro had no part in Ryan's signing, it was Wharbuton who initially targeted him, don't shoot the messenger.

Find that a bit suprising considering our board had decided they'd totally lost all faith in Warburton in the transfer market.

imbran
22-07-2017, 21:48
Jack certainly did well today and will be an influential player for us; he will bring out the best in those around him. Very pleased we managed to get him on board.

eric4395
22-07-2017, 22:00
I just love on here how it all fluctuates on a game by game basis, I mean as an Aberdeen player he was crap/ average never good enough to play with us. A couple of games in and he's the answer, a bad start to the season and he will be pillored on here. Can't we just wait and see how the next 3 months go let these guys settle in before jumping in with crazy opinions on everyone.

scottylad72
22-07-2017, 22:01
Dare I say it, our Lennon. That was his job, and nothing more. Except, Jack is a decent guy and a furtherly good bloke.

alwaysfirst
22-07-2017, 22:03
Sounds like a better Steven Thompson.
Kevin Thomson ?

Discodale
22-07-2017, 22:10
I've thought all along that Jack and Alves will be our two most significant signings this summer.

YOGI_GER
22-07-2017, 22:17
Kevin Thomson ?

Shit, aye. No even had a drink tonight! :D

calumg1690
22-07-2017, 22:18
Rossiter would start ahead of him if it were upto me.

batistuta2234
22-07-2017, 22:20
Sounds like a better Steven Thompson.

You're having a howler on here the night mate😂😂

batistuta2234
22-07-2017, 22:22
Shit, aye. No even had a drink tonight! :D
I'd edit that 'P' in Thompson before the spelling police start coming after you.😂

skyger
22-07-2017, 22:22

Would he ? Do you actually watch Rangers ?

TheRangersTillIDie
22-07-2017, 22:25
I'd never heard of him 6 months ago, but I've been impressed with what I've seen of him so far

From holiday over the summer I know how bitter the sheep are about him

YOGI_GER
22-07-2017, 22:32
You're having a howler on here the night mate����

I know I know...... :D :D

ICA_86
22-07-2017, 22:37

Bizarre.

Is that because he came from Liverpool instead of Aberdeen?

Rossiter has proved absolutely nothing and he's currently nowhere near that jersey.

DylanGer
22-07-2017, 22:37
With the exception of Alves-if I measured my expectation versus what we've seen in a short time I would rate Jack as our most impressive signing.

My one concern with the middle 2 midfielders though is I still think we are a bit deep-if we start to struggle the emphasis can change to what players aren't doing-then it might become what does Jack actually create.

MearnsUnionist
22-07-2017, 22:38

Well thank the Lord it's not.

The kid has been injured for the best part of a year, while Jack has already made a huge difference to that part of our team.

The Predator
22-07-2017, 22:43
Judging on early performances he will be the first midfielder on the team sheet every week.

carsons36th
22-07-2017, 22:54
Judging on early performances he will be the first midfielder on the team sheet every week.

Spot on mate, looks like he was born to be a Ranger

CaptainCourageous
22-07-2017, 22:57

Caixinha clearly knew what Jack was about and stated what his "role" was going to be.

Surely not another positive for Caixinha?

magoo26
22-07-2017, 23:27
Where was Rossiter today?

BroomloanWATP
22-07-2017, 23:33

"Caixinha is an admirer and he has placed the midfieder at the top of his hit list of home players.

He said: “I scout and assess a lot of Scottish players, at least those who play more against us.

“Ryan Jack is one player that because of his age, because of his quality and because of what he has done in the last two seasons, is a player that I like.

“There are maybe six or seven more like Jack that we assessed.

“He is a good player. Young and Scottish.

“I like his consistency, although he has missed a few games recently. I like his leadership as captain at a young age.

“I like the way he sees the game, more or less, and gives the out ball in the build-up. He gives a balance to the deal when it’s attacking.

“There are some points for him to divide a game and get more involved in the second stage of the offence phase.

“So that’s what I like about him. Especially at moments when you need balance.

“Players can be released in attack when they know other players are giving them cover. We have struggled with that, definitely.”

No part right enough.

TherealMVP
23-07-2017, 00:06
I've now seen him play five games. One of those as an Aberdeen player in a Scottish cup final where he was arguably MOTM despite them losing.

Very impressed.

First name on the team sheet so far.

greggyboy
23-07-2017, 00:42
Without players like Jack, you don't win titles. Someone needs to do the dirty work and get stuck in to let others play.

If he can be our Stuart McCall type player we'll be a different proposition this year.

Mr Super Bad
23-07-2017, 00:48
My view of Jack was backed up by the Sheep on Twitter raving about him then instantly calling him shite when he signed for us :D

BroomloanWATP
23-07-2017, 00:50
My view of Jack was backed up by the Sheep on Twitter raving about him then instantly calling him shite when he signed for us :D

Signing McLean will send many of those mutton molesting creeps over the edge, perhaps like this particularly fitting headline:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/22/hundreds-sheep-killed-bear-chases-cliff/

More than 200 sheep have died after they hurtled over the edge of a cliff in the Pyrenees mountains while being chased by a bear.

:D

Mr Super Bad
23-07-2017, 00:59
Absolutely mate!

Fact is he already looks like a guy who will make a contribution. He's not going to be the name on the back of many kids tops, but he looks a solid 7/10 every week. And by God have we missed those types.

realger34
23-07-2017, 01:08
Thread title describes him perfectly. I've been impressed with how he has played both positionaly and on the ball....

Correct

Hardly wasted a pass today

jackdaniels78
23-07-2017, 02:12
In the first 60 minutes we never looked stretched even when we were getting players forward. Jack playing a disciplined role with Alves behind him controlling the defence will improve us no end. I also think it will help the full back especially Tav who also has a decent player in front of him now in Candieas

aghalee_hero
23-07-2017, 03:06
Looks like he will be our best signing after big Bruno so far, very pleased from what I've seen.

SuperSouness
23-07-2017, 06:01
Dare I say it, our Lennon. That was his job, and nothing more. Except, Jack is a decent guy and a furtherly good bloke.

He has a good range of passing and is considerably quicker than Lennon.

Lennon was a dreadful footballer who was fortunate enough to play in a good side in front of people who appreciated his ned like qualities.

slickrick
23-07-2017, 07:04
Very impressive so far, my only concern again is if he gets injured. Rossiter can't stay fit for more than two days so we need Jack fit and controlling the midfield especially with Tav completely nuts on the right.

MearnsUnionist
23-07-2017, 07:12
Very impressive so far, my only concern again is if he gets injured. Rossiter can't stay fit for more than two days so we need Jack fit and controlling the midfield especially with Tav completely nuts on the right.

Tav certainly wasn't "nuts" yesterday or against St Johnstone.

Defended very well in both games, never gave Payet a kick yesterday, and Pedro was encouraging him forward at every opportunity.

Tav will be a real asset for us under Pedro.

He deserves a break on here.

Peters Scarf
23-07-2017, 07:34
Well thank the Lord it's not.

The kid has been injured for the best part of a year, while Jack has already made a huge difference to that part of our team.

So obviously Jack wasn't playing in Luxembourg?

canisbaybluenose
23-07-2017, 07:39

FFS one doesn't have to be bad if the other plays well. Posters need to give Rossiter some time to get back to form. HE is a decent player who can improve. I always said Jack would be an excellent signing, he is a decent player, who can also improve. He could go on to be a lynch pin of our side for a number of years. If we have Rossiter as well that is only positive. Rossiter will take a wee bit of time and looks to me like the situation is being handled correctly by the club. Cant see this need to constantly knock the lad.

MearnsUnionist
23-07-2017, 07:41

We both know one individual cannot be held responsible for a team performance mate.

The 2 goals lost in that shambles came from a young centre half allowing his man to steal a march on him and cut across him and the second was a set piece.

A wee bit unfair Gub.

Babbity Bo
23-07-2017, 07:44

Aye of course he was and also in the first leg at Ibrox and as such he must take his full responsibility for his part in that complete and utter shameful debacle.
However we was, in my opinion of course, our best player over the two games and these were his first two competitive matches for a new club.
There are others who have been here a helluva lot longer who should still be unable to look at themselves in the mirror for those two despicable performances.

Peters Scarf
23-07-2017, 07:56
Aye of course he was and also in the first leg at Ibrox and as such he must take his full responsibility for his part in that complete and utter shameful debacle.
However we was, in my opinion of course, our best player over the two games and these were his first two competitive matches for a new club.
There are others who have been here a helluva lot longer who should still be unable to look at themselves in the mirror for those two despicable performances.

It might just be me, but why don't we reserve judgement when oodling out praise for games that really matter and not piss-abouts?

Yesterday's was a good result against decent opposition. But 's let's not get too carried away. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Worthy_Candidate
23-07-2017, 08:09

If someone wants to take Rossiter back to England and off our wage bill, he will be offski.

stonelawloyal
23-07-2017, 08:11
Technically he looks superior to rossiter

Cadzow Bear
23-07-2017, 08:15
He had a good game yesterday. He certainly understands what his role in the team is and we've been badly lacking that in his position.

Babbity Bo
23-07-2017, 09:23
It might just be me, but why don't we reserve judgement when oodling out praise for games that really matter and not piss-abouts?

Yesterday's was a good result against decent opposition. But 's let's not get too carried away. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I could not agree more, the only two games that really mattered so far this season were a total disaster.

However what I have seen of Ryan Jack already this season and last season, although admittedly only highlights and the games he played against us last season (and i have a habit of only watching one team when we are playing!!) I think he is going to be an excellent signing for us.

Bruno Alves, Fabio Cardoso and Ryan Jack together are gonna make us so much harder to beat this season and that will give us a chance in every game we play from now on in. Unlike last season when everybody and their granny knew they could get at us and we would fold like a precious origami flower.

jjbscotty
23-07-2017, 10:40
Great signing said to my son at the time we were interested in him he would be a good one.Hopefully Pedro doesn't stick another DM alongside him Dorans and Jack will be our midfield two in most games with Pena & Nico fighting it out for the other slot which will give Pedro a good headache I would imagine with Pena being our biggest transfer.

Its-Sebo
23-07-2017, 10:46

I don't think you're the guy to be saying that to anyone on here.

So we've to reserve judgement when we play well, but it's ok to do the opposite when we don't? Laughable.

b burns
23-07-2017, 10:57

He has a bit To go before he is at that stage early signs are promising though

Laudo
23-07-2017, 11:02
Fully agree.

There's almost an urban myth surrounding Rossiter.

I don't get what the lad had done to justify the huge potential allocated by many on here.

barrymoped
23-07-2017, 11:04

I'm with you on this. Friendlies are good for fitness and trying to get players used to each other, nothing else. The real stuff in the league starts two weeks today and that's when I'll start properly judging this side, when it means something and we have our best new players all playing.

HobJo
23-07-2017, 11:20
Never fails to amuse when a thread praising one player immediately has to denigrate other players. It's like the cosmic balance of FF must be maintained.

Jack can be good without Rossiter or Kevin Thomson (!!) being worse you know?!

chrisgers
23-07-2017, 11:32
He's looked decent so far. He's doing the easiest role in the team without obvious **** ups which is a step forward from last couple of seasons.

Playing devil's advocate though, at a bare minimum he needs to do it longer each game. Whether it's because he's still getting fit or because Pedro's system is running him into the ground or because the game is getting more stretched but after 60 mins each game it has opened up and we've gone back to looking like last year's wide open defense.

Union Jack 1873
23-07-2017, 11:39

He's not better that Kevin Thomson looks to be a decent player but Thomson was outstanding for us .

Jack may turn out to be a great signing in the long run but let's give the guy a bit of time to prove himself first.

mayfairblue2
23-07-2017, 12:28
Good player reads the game very well.

skyger
23-07-2017, 12:48
No part right enough.

It was Wharbuton who first let Jack know that Rangers were interested in signing him, that comes from a member of his family, I have no idea what happened after Wharbuton left Rangers but the deal for Jack to sign had already been agreed. Pedro when he became manager could have cancelled the deal so from that viewpoint he does deserve some praise.

AvieLoyal
23-07-2017, 12:54
As Harry Redknapp once said,
"You only notice a defensive midfielder if they're having a stinker."

That could certainly apply to Jack.

He's never going to win MOTM awards, but we now have a DM that knows exactly what his job is and carries out his duties with the minimum of fuss.

Playing against some seriously good midfielders today as well.

Said this too a sheep mate of mine that was bad mouthing Jack- You will not appreciate the job this guy was doing until the season gets under way.

Every team needs some unsung player that does the simple things well - winning tackles and breaking up play . We have missed this badly the last few seasons

Peters Scarf
23-07-2017, 12:57
I don't think you're the guy to be saying that to anyone on here.

So we've to reserve judgement when we play well, but it's ok to do the opposite when we don't? Laughable.

What part of we seemed to have played well in a nothing game but humiliated us when it actually mattered don't you get?

gers11
23-07-2017, 13:07
Ryan Jack is a team player, not the type that prances about kissing badges.He knows what his job is and gets on with it without any fuss, he will be a very good signing for the club, and won't take nonsense from nobody ie.someone like Broonie.He better not try his nonsense with Ryan, as he'll put him in his place quickly. Have a great career son and welcome to the Gers.from an OAP.👍👍

Its-Sebo
23-07-2017, 13:18
What part of we seemed to have played well in a nothing game but humiliated us when it actually mattered don't you get?

Nothing games haven't stopped you complaining before

bilkobear
23-07-2017, 13:35
I have seen as much of Ryan Jack as I have seen of Rossiter.
So not very much of either in truth.

Jack isn't as technically gifted as Rossiter, the younger player having a better first touch and tighter ball control which enables him to play quicker and in tighter spaces.
However, Jack has a fantastic engine which he engages with an honest appetite for dirty often unrecognised hard work, and the evidence so far is that he has the intelligence to play within the limits of his own talent, a rare but valuable attribute in a less gifted type of footballer.

Rossiter...... if and when he finds a run of matches at full fitness will probably go on to become a more accomplished footballer, but the 'if' is the real drawback here.
The good news for Ryan Jack is that he seems to be a reliable type that is always available for selection, and although managers might value talent, it is the players who are available on a reliable basis that they build their ambitions and teams upon.
Jordan has some way to go to making this part of his CV.

ICA_86
23-07-2017, 13:36
Fully agree.

There's almost an urban myth surrounding Rossiter.

I don't get what the lad had done to justify the huge potential allocated by many on here.

All he's done is came from Liverpool, which makes him a bit 'sexier' than a Scottish player from Aberdeen.

British football fan logic in full swing.

Torque87
23-07-2017, 13:44
A proper DM is essential to a team and at last I believe we have one in Jack and also not forgetting Rossiter.

Leo_Ger
23-07-2017, 14:32
I thought when we were linked and still think he will be a decent signing.

Reads the game well to position himself defensively as well as to receive the ball and makes the smart and simple pass.

That's why you had a significant amount of Aberdeen fans and folk on here who said he was shite. Charging about aimlessly or hitting pointless low percentage passes is given great regard in Scottish football.

realger34
23-07-2017, 15:11
Good player reads the game very well.

Definitely

Very effective yesterday

bradfield
23-07-2017, 19:50
an Aberdeen player average at best

ICA_86
23-07-2017, 19:55
an Aberdeen player average at best

We should IQ test people before letting them post.

"An Aberdeen player" - really? :D

gregoryisaacs
23-07-2017, 20:01
All he's done is came from Liverpool, which makes him a bit 'sexier' than a Scottish player from Aberdeen.

British football fan logic in full swing.
Some people have watched Rossiter play football.

Although I do agree with you - people who don't watch a lot of football will make comments like, "All he's done is came from Liverpool".

ICA_86
23-07-2017, 20:06
Some people have watched Rossiter play football.

Although I do agree with you - people who don't watch a lot of football will make comments like, "All he's done is came from Liverpool".

Seen the lad plenty, Europa league games were always on council telly at good times and that's the only time he really got a good chance.

But I can't say I've ever been completely taken by him. He's decent, that's it, perhaps limited by his position.

It's Jack's jersey though, undoubtedly.

Paisleybear1872
23-07-2017, 20:13
Superb at sweeping up the second balls. Something that we were terrible at last year.

gregoryisaacs
23-07-2017, 20:15
Seen the lad plenty, Europa league games were always on council telly at good times and that's the only time he really got a good chance.

But I can't say I've ever been completely taken by him. He's decent, that's it, perhaps limited by his position.

It's Jack's jersey though, undoubtedly.

If you've seen him "plenty" - you'll know exactly what he offers. And how good a player he can be - when fit.

Of course it's "Jack's jersey" - he's fit to play in that position every week.

Incidentally - I only ever saw him play in Europe once. But I have followed his career pretty closely. It doesn't matter why - but hopefully we get him playing to the level he can.

Fully fit, Rossiter has the potential to be a very good player.

ICA_86
23-07-2017, 21:07
If you've seen him "plenty" - you'll know exactly what he offers. And how good a player he can be - when fit.

Of course it's "Jack's jersey" - he's fit to play in that position every week.

Incidentally - I only ever saw him play in Europe once. But I have followed his career pretty closely. It doesn't matter why - but hopefully we get him playing to the level he can.

Fully fit, Rossiter has the potential to be a very good player.

Bags of potential, absolutely.

Sadly, it's going to be hopeless if he can't get out there to fulfil it.

wc06
23-07-2017, 21:19
Really pleased with the start Jack has made. I'm hoping as the team gels and improves, he will too.

gregoryisaacs
23-07-2017, 21:32
Bags of potential, absolutely.

Sadly, it's going to be hopeless if he can't get out there to fulfil it.

Of course - agreed mate.

At least your aware of his potential having watched him for Liverpool.

I hope Jack keeps progressing - the signs are very promising.
I have a feeling that Jack will become a fans favourite.

But Jordan Rossiter will play every single week - if and when fully fit.

Fingers crossed.

ICA_86
23-07-2017, 21:42
Of course - agreed mate.

At least your aware of his potential having watched him for Liverpool.

I hope Jack keeps progressing - the signs are very promising.
I have a feeling that Jack will become a fans favourite.

But Jordan Rossiter will play every single week - if and when fully fit.

Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed, it's definitely a nice problem to have after having to shoehorn Halliday in there for the past couple of seasons.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/rangers-sign-liverpool-midfielder-rossiter/view/news/235255

The above makes me really worry for JR, but having Jack ready to go regardless is easing my concerns somewhat.

braeside58
23-07-2017, 21:45
I think that Ryan will be a good asset to our team this season.

gregoryisaacs
23-07-2017, 22:03
Fingers crossed, it's definitely a nice problem to have after having to shoehorn Halliday in there for the past couple of seasons.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/rangers-sign-liverpool-midfielder-rossiter/view/news/235255

The above makes me really worry for JR, but having Jack ready to go regardless is easing my concerns somewhat.

Agreed - but let's see if we can get him fully fit, playing every week - then I'm sure everyone will see what Jordan has in his locker.

As you say though - a nice problem to have for a change.

magoo26
23-07-2017, 22:04
He was a class act yesterday