PDA

View Full Version : Dave King and the Rangers Board

jf1960
23-06-2017, 07:28
Prob been done elsewhere so if it has admin please delete, I/We have had nearly 2 days now to take in what has happened this week. Just thinking last night about the way everybody was feeling say a month ago that we were so poor last season and with The Pie-Man slowly strangling us with no way of seemingly getting out of it. What Dave King and The Rangers board have done re; Ashley is mindblowing to get that deal restructured to our terms. As said before and as everyone knows money is nothing to this guy so why did he back down this much i can't fathom this out at all..... ps I know I shouldn't be bothered about him now but I can't help but ask why did he do it #onwardsandupwards

nomad
23-06-2017, 07:39
I was wondering that myself. Imo King has something on him or fatty just gave in2 the mighty bears.

WATP

Zico
23-06-2017, 07:40
Must have something very serious over fatso

millar brand
23-06-2017, 07:43
Must have something very serious over fatso

I would agree with that. I reckon King had stuff that fatty wouldn't want revealed in Court.

Zim Pusan
23-06-2017, 07:44
I'm definitely not ITK but think that the way the fat bastard has chucked in the towel says to me they had him for something.Hopefully he is the first of many to get their just desserts

KingBrian
23-06-2017, 07:46
I think there must have been a real chance that DK could have overturned the contract if he was made to resort to legal action. We all know he didn't want to go down that route, but it seems clear that Sommers did not perform his duties as Chairman with due regard to his responsibilities to the company under the companies act. The contract was so shockingly one-sided that at one point DK said he was going to rip it up. I think the timing of the other court action (when so much had to remain sub-judice) now being over might also have had a bearing.

Its-Sebo
23-06-2017, 07:47
I don't think we've got anything serious over Ashley or we would have 100% pursued it.

To me, it looks like both parties realised we had a high likelihood of wrangling our way out of the 7 year contract, so decided upon a compromise to save another 12 months of wrestling and legal fees.

The choice for SD was a year or so of legal cases with a probable loss at the end of it, or a year of a deal that is mutually beneficial in which they'll make some money and stop suffering from our boycott.

DavyMcK
23-06-2017, 07:47
From what we know about Ashley he certainly doesn't seem to be the type to just give up. The only "big" news to come out recently was the information that King had purchased the infamous emails from the Whyte trial. I'm not one for conspiracy theories but there certainly seems to be something driving this move by the fat man behind the scenes that we don't, and may never, know.

barrymoped
23-06-2017, 07:49
My personal take on the situation is that Ashley's lawyers just told him he was going to lose this case, and at the minute he has enough bad publicity surrounding his core business , he really didn't need anymore by being publicly humiliated in court and these deals shown up to be the absolute shams we all know they were.

rangerfromouterspace
23-06-2017, 07:50
Whatever has tipped the balance I'm not sure we want to indulge in too much navel gazing. Otherwise it won't be long until the feelgood factor is forgotten and folk will be screaming for "answers" and "get the bassa intae coort if we've goat suhin oan im" forgetting that, providing there is something that ashley doesn't want aired, it being buried would be a condition on the agreements being ripped up.

masterblue
23-06-2017, 07:52
I myself and id say every other bear breathing is asking the same question as the Op.
I then say to myself is it coincidence that the bug eyed little cretin not getting the jail got something to do with it too?
My head is swirling with it.
Even heard big DJ say on snide last night as if it was a statement that Ashley has sold his shares as well.
When question by the caller he then said he thinks he will sell his shares.
Yip in my mind Mr King has played an Ace and Ashleys gulped!

mcallion
23-06-2017, 07:57
One is they probably removed themselves from the negotiations as I could never see king or Ashley agreeing anything.

Plus there must have been a good chance we'd win in court

BougherrasBoabie
23-06-2017, 08:01
I think DK has photies of MA having a golden shower in Moscow with Trump.

interbear
23-06-2017, 08:11
There could be more to it but I think it's simpler. I think it's commercial reality finally biting and Ashley - or more likely the SD management team around him - realising that the status quo was pointless.

For Sports Direct, 25% or 50% of the massive amount of Rangers merchandise that will be sold in the next year after several years of boycott and pent up demand, is likely worth far more than a bigger % of f*** all for the rest of a seven year deal that Rangers fans would continue boycotting.

That, plus the ongoing legal costs and bad PR make it simply not worth it from a commercial perspective.

Taking the egos out of it, this restructured deal is a commercial win for both parties and common sense has prevailed at last. And as a result, I thoroughly enjoyed buying strips for me and the kids yesterday :D

melbbear
23-06-2017, 08:14
Think it's more like Newcastle are back in top flight and that's more important to him.

tazzabear
23-06-2017, 08:19
One is they probably removed themselves from the negotiations as I could never see king or Ashley agreeing anything.

Plus there must have been a good chance we'd win in court

I've posted this on other threads, there must have been something that Ashley couldn't win that caused this.
That would have to be something legal.
There had to be something that was going to cause him to lose, big time.
I've no idea what, I'd like to know, but, if I never find out, I'll live with it.
King has won this for the club.

tazzabear
23-06-2017, 08:21
Think it's more like Newcastle are back in top flight and that's more important to him.

Not for me.
Okay it'll be more important to him but, Ashley really didn't have to do anything with Rangers.
All he's been is an irritant.
He could have kept this going for the full length of the contract.

ulsterbear1873
23-06-2017, 10:16
There could be more to it but I think it's simpler. I think it's commercial reality finally biting and Ashley - or more likely the SD management team around him - realising that the status quo was pointless.

For Sports Direct, 25% or 50% of the massive amount of Rangers merchandise that will be sold in the next year after several years of boycott and pent up demand, is likely worth far more than a bigger % of f*** all for the rest of a seven year deal that Rangers fans would continue boycotting.

That, plus the ongoing legal costs and bad PR make it simply not worth it from a commercial perspective.

Taking the egos out of it, this restructured deal is a commercial win for both parties and common sense has prevailed at last. And as a result, I thoroughly enjoyed buying strips for me and the kids yesterday :D
This. Occam's Razor always wins the day. Ashley is a businessman whose primary aim is always to make profits. I'll wager this deal will ultimately generate more profit for him than any of the alternatives, including the status quo. In the end the boycott worked. Cap doffed, fellow bears.

barryhopez
23-06-2017, 10:21
Maybe it just made better business sense for Ashley as well as the club?

kirkierangers
23-06-2017, 14:37
I would agree with that. I reckon King had stuff that fatty wouldn't want revealed in Court.

I was always brought up to stand up to bullies and it looks like King was too. Cashley tried to intimidate King but he was the one that blinked when he eventually had to understand that a true Ranger would NEVER act in a cowardly fashion when faced with a barrow boy bully! Let everyone watching be warned about that.

W.A.T.P.

nicnac
23-06-2017, 15:42
Love Dave King and the board, off the park they have been nothing short of magnificent since they got control of the club. Now it's time to get back to the business on the pitch. Long live the King

peepoday boy
23-06-2017, 17:21
Love Dave King and the board, off the park they have been nothing short of magnificent since they got control of the club. Now it's time to get back to the business on the pitch. Long live the King

6th March 2015. The day our club was saved by Dave King and the 3Bs. In the long illustrious history of our club this day will be forever remembered as the day our continued existence was secured. I shudder when I think of what could have been had this not gone the way of the current board.

The current board did not have to do what they did. But they did. And the best thing about what they did is their motivation for doing it; because they love our club. They didn’t stand aside when we were being systematically plundered by people whose sole motivation was personal gain. It would have been far easier for each of them personally had they chosen to walk away. The debt of gratitude we, the rest of the Rangers support, owe Dave King and the 3Bs cannot be overstated. I thank God they had the guts to make a stand, in the very best tradition of Rangers Football Club, and save us from hell.

shrek
23-06-2017, 19:03

spotlight
23-06-2017, 19:11
Dave King etc, well done. King doesn't shout his mouth of but is working away on getting our club back where it should be.

wayoutwest
23-06-2017, 19:48
Apart from regaining control of the club two years ago, they stood up to Ashley and stood firm throughout all the litigation etc. In the end, keeping the previous agreement did not make good business sense for SD, the fans played their part in this regard. To get Ashley's shares was an unexpected bonus, well done to all those who worked behind the scenes to make this a fantastic week for Rangers FC.

LTB
23-06-2017, 19:49
Couldn't care les how Dave King or the board done it!
They just did and I can't thank them enough!
Outstanding week!

skyger
23-06-2017, 20:33
I believe Ashley was simply out manoeuvred by DK, no doubt Ashley hates to lose and that is why he dug in for so long, finally when he would have been humiliated in court he decides to cut and run. For those who ever doubted Dk, WHY he has only ever had Rangers best interests at heart, he and the three bears will forever be legends in my eyes.

dennytrueblue
23-06-2017, 20:45
Apart from regaining control of the club two years ago, they stood up to Ashley and stood firm throughout all the litigation etc. In the end, keeping the previous agreement did not make good business sense for SD, the fans played their part in this regard. To get Ashley's shares was an unexpected bonus, well done to all those who worked behind the scenes to make this a fantastic week for Rangers FC.

I second that

Klos 1
23-06-2017, 20:48
This has been the best week in a long long time that I can rmbr. Huge thanks to Dave King & the board & thank you for giving us back our club it will never be forgotten. IF Carlsberg did the best week ever ........well you know the rest.

corkie
23-06-2017, 20:55
I wonder if "our" New Man in Hong Kong, has bought shares in SD and forced Ashley's hand ...