PDA

View Full Version : Luxembourg - accommodation very tight

Grandmaster_Suck
22-06-2017, 14:47
According to people over there the place is more or less booked out as the Tour de France starts in Dusseldorf on 1st July and heads through Lux thereafter. Fans, teams, media crews apparently booked up a lot of the accommodation already.

So get in quick to have a chance of any accommodation at any price.

Grandmaster_Suck
22-06-2017, 14:49
Tour route - http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2017/us/overall-route.html

coplandrearl36
22-06-2017, 15:17
Thought you meant the rooms were small for 'big' Rangers fans. No offence meant. :ninja:

Davmcc
22-06-2017, 15:27
Me and my dad had to book a spa resort 1.3 miles outside the centre haha. Was the only reasonably priced one left on booking.com, £275 for 2 nights.

numberoneallover
22-06-2017, 15:30
got hotel in dusseldorf, get in fast prods

toadegree
22-06-2017, 15:36
There's next to nothing left in the centre except pretty expensive places.

kenny2oo7
22-06-2017, 15:41
Went for a hotel at the airport about 40 mins away from the stadium by bus but a 5 minute walk from the airport so hopefully no risk of missing my flight home!

LuxTrueBlue90
22-06-2017, 15:51
That is a really good point OP!
I've just had a look at the booking.com website and prices are really really high.
But there is a hostel in the city centre which is not shown on booking.com, they've even got a couple of rooms on the Tuesday and Wednesday for +-30€.

http://youthhostels.lu/en

lutonloyal
22-06-2017, 17:36
There's next to nothing left in the centre except pretty expensive places.

We took a chance and booked on Tuesday. The only "reasonable' price City Centre hotel we could get was the Le Royal a 5 star. Two nights room only was a whopping £466 total for the two of us.

cadge_1959
22-06-2017, 17:43
We took a chance and booked on Tuesday. The only "reasonable' price City Centre hotel we could get was the Le Royal a 5 star. Two nights room only was a whopping £466 total for the two of us.

I'm staying over the border in Trier, 50 minute train journey. Last train back is 23.30, comfortably make that after game.

JS84
22-06-2017, 17:55
Air bnib had a few places to rent when I looked the other day

MoodyBlue1872
22-06-2017, 18:30
Went for a hotel at the airport about 40 mins away from the stadium by bus but a 5 minute walk from the airport so hopefully no risk of missing my flight home!

The NH hotel by any chance ? If so you will be fine there.

Davmcc
22-06-2017, 18:36
http://www.coque.lu/en/reservation-dhotel-en-ligne

Still rooms left at £275 for Monday & Tuesday.

welshbear
22-06-2017, 18:37
got 2 nights in Olm for £160 ... Canny Wait!

The Phantom
23-06-2017, 10:54
Ibis Budget at the airport (4 miles from city) still has availability - Double Rooms and Triple Rooms (double with overhead bunk) seems to be only availability - Price is reasonable. I've booked one room of each type for 2 nights for just over £350. In terms of city hotels there is bugger all left (hotels.com only have a doubletree hilton 2 nights £1200!!!)

**Should also have said it's pay on arrival with room cost secured against card when booking so if you dont get a ticket on Monday you can cancel and there is no charge**

garyw09
23-06-2017, 10:57
Would booking in one of the neighbouring countries and getting the train or something not be a good idea?

bearfaeayr
23-06-2017, 11:01
I'm staying over the border in Trier, 50 minute train journey. Last train back is 23.30, comfortably make that after game.

5 of us staying in Trier, trains booked, 11.30am return 22.30, 36 euro.

waltersgotstyle.
23-06-2017, 11:07
Stayed in the novohotel on JFK for work a few years back. Pretty decent

Brother Arch
23-06-2017, 20:58
Try googling serviced apartments instead

interbear
24-06-2017, 00:03

My son and I are in Le Royal also. Only one night, fly in from LHR on Tuesday morning. Was £250 :eek: But it's our first European away game in years - and my son's first - so we are going regardless.

Only a 20 min walk from the stadium though. And smack bang in the city centre.

Now I'm joining the "not a ST holder so barred from the travel club but need a ticket" club :(

jjbscotty
24-06-2017, 15:10
According to people over there the place is more or less booked out as the Tour de France starts in Dusseldorf on 1st July and heads through Lux thereafter. Fans, teams, media crews apparently booked up a lot of the accommodation already.

Blink and you will miss it i went through it a few years back going to Zurich yes Zurich dont ask lol anyone who went with the Grapes that year will know what im on about long way for a short cut didnt need to buy fags for a year after it 😂🇬🇧

baselbear
24-06-2017, 15:25
I booked a airbnb place in Sedan. Switching jobs at the end of next week so taking a few days off.

Ralphbrand
24-06-2017, 15:27

You will struggle to find space anywhere. It is a small city but extremely rich. Loads of off-shore banks are located there due to the tax regime. I ended up sleeping in my car as there was no affordable hotels, the prices were outrageous. Be warned!

Ralphbrand
24-06-2017, 16:20

There is a place called Straßßen, which is about five kilometres from Luxembourg city centre but is on the main road. It is much cheaper however.

Ralphbrand
24-06-2017, 16:23
I booked a airbnb place in Sedan. Switching jobs at the end of next week so taking a few days off.

Sedan? Site of an epic battle between the French and Germans where literally they both bled each other dry. The Battle of the Somme was our biggest losses, butchery on a huge scale. However, even that was smaller than Sedan as incredible as it may seem. Sedan is about 45 minutes to Luxembourg. Another option is Thionville right on the French/Luxembourg border. Another option is the German/Luxembourg border which is much cheaper again.

Ralphbrand
24-06-2017, 16:26
My son and I are in Le Royal also. Only one night, fly in from LHR on Tuesday morning. Was £250 :eek: But it's our first European away game in years - and my son's first - so we are going regardless.

Now I'm joining the "not a ST holder so barred from the travel club but need a ticket" club :(

Not cheap mate, really extortionate as the hotels are geared towards business executives, bankers and EU big shots. I literally could not get anywhere. Mind you, they took one look at me and thought no way is he staying here!. I had the last laugh as I parked my car near a football stadium and slept there in probably the poshest council estate in Europe and didn't pay a penny.

Ralphbrand
24-06-2017, 16:30
Would booking in one of the neighbouring countries and getting the train or something not be a good idea?

Best bet mate, also bear in mind that the transport system there is very fast and efficient. You will make huge savings if you are prepared to lodge say in Germany.

lutonloyal
24-06-2017, 21:53

We are flying out from Stansted on Monday night mate. Fly back Wednesday night 22.00 local time. My mate is a ST Holder, so hopefully he will be ok for a ticket. I'll just have to take my chance in the away end. Your son will love his first European experience, of that I'm certain.