PDA

View Full Version : Wallace and McKay?

Butcher6
01-04-2017, 17:27
These two have been so poor this season and what was once arguably our strongest and most potent threat is now probably one of our weakest!

Wallace is too easy got at rarely stops a cross and like today's goal switches off for someone so experienced that is not good enough and that's before we get to his delivery.

McKay has vanished imo not producing anything now not beating his man enough comes inside to often and his final ball is now laughable.

Hopefully the new manager will sort it because on form they can be a real threat but not this season imo.

kingflanky
01-04-2017, 18:07
Should be sticking McKay on the right, hard to watch him having to cut in all the time because his left's just too weak and hardly provides a perfect cross...

Wallace I agree has been somewhat slack but personally still feel he's more of a defensive fullback than a wing back. Who knows, we'll see what happens near end of season and the recruitment that is made.

DJ Blue
01-04-2017, 18:09
Thought Mckay was isolated for parts of the 2nd half, needed more support.

CaptainCourageous
01-04-2017, 18:10
Lee Wallace cannot defend and he's got next to no attributes that lead to him being our captain.

Wouldn't miss him one bit if he was moved on.

Barry McKay doesn't do it any where near enough for me. Far, far too inconsistent. When he's poor, it's pointless having him on the park.

coplandrearl36
01-04-2017, 18:11
Wallace was not fit and should not have started.

papasmurf
01-04-2017, 18:50
Mckay has not been poor all season.

He is inconsistent. Started off poorly this season, managed well by warburton, then came into a game, then the form has dipped again.

His final ball is absolutely chronic

jdm1873
01-04-2017, 18:52
McKay has the ability but maybe not the self belief.

In the second half deep in his own half he managed to get the ball out of danger despite three round about him. His close control was fantastic.

david1291
01-04-2017, 18:53
Wallace is abysmal. McKay is limited on his left foot. His future is either on the right or in the middle

stevie13000
01-04-2017, 18:56
Could it not be that due to the step up from championship to premiership, like a lot of our squad they are just not good enough!

jam_piece
01-04-2017, 18:57
I'd be happy if I never saw mckay in a rangers shirt again. This is not a knee jerk reaction or said in anger, because in a sadistic way, I actually enjoyed the game today. But I've had it with him.

There were 5 guys on the park at half time that will never forget that moment, for some it will be a life long dream. And wee Barry is out there hiding with his hands up his sleeves because the poor wee souls cold, giving 50%, jumping out of tackles.

Had high hopes for him and with an attitude like garner he could have went right to the top, but instead I can see him at a bottom table English championship club.

The heart of a mouse. A coward.

Bigeye
01-04-2017, 19:11
Barries 4 goals in 36 games is not good enough to help us get back to the top.

47blue
01-04-2017, 19:44
Should be sticking McKay on the right, hard to watch him having to cut in all the time because his left's just too weak and hardly provides a perfect cross...

Wallace I agree has been somewhat slack but personally still feel he's more of a defensive fullback than a wing back. Who knows, we'll see what happens near end of season and the recruitment that is made.

Agree with your point on Mckay,far better to play him on the right

tkmcg
01-04-2017, 19:50
Barrie is in my top 3 or 4 players this season but for his own career and sanity i would advise him to seek a move he doesn't fit the profile of Rangers player and young Gilmore should pay attention to the patience of the typical Rangers fan.

slickrick
01-04-2017, 19:52
McKay is like unbeleavable until he gets near the box or need to cross the ball and he turns from a 9 out of 10 to a 1 out of 10 and its so frustrating to watch. He gets into great positions and you are screaming please find a final ball. But every time he found a Motherwell player every time today. Awful performance just dreadful.

Wallace can't defend, sick or not he defends like a winger. We need basically a new defence and Wallace for all his good points cannot defend and lets guys pass him like a statue.

tazzabear
01-04-2017, 19:55
Thought Mckay was isolated for parts of the 2nd half, needed more support.

From the very first attack, you could see the problem.
Two men, doubling up on him at all times.
Don't know why Motherwell changed their tactic in the second half but McKay still produced more and created our best chances.

tazzabear
01-04-2017, 20:00
I'd be happy if I never saw mckay in a rangers shirt again. This is not a knee jerk reaction or said in anger, because in a sadistic way, I actually enjoyed the game today. But I've had it with him.

There were 5 guys on the park at half time that will never forget that moment, for some it will be a life long dream. And wee Barry is out there hiding with his hands up his sleeves because the poor wee souls cold, giving 50%, jumping out of tackles.

Had high hopes for him and with an attitude like garner he could have went right to the top, but instead I can see him at a bottom table English championship club.

Maybe not, but it is one of the biggest loads of tripe I've read on here.

Spart7
01-04-2017, 20:02
Yet another (unjustified) barrie bashing thread, smh. At least 3 times he cut it back to a blue shirt inside the box who then wasted the chance, that was after turning cadden inside out a number of times. Far, far worse than him out there today but hey ho, enjoy. I'm out.

Drumchapel-Bear
01-04-2017, 20:11
The stick McKay is taking from some of the support is sickening. You lot couldn't spot a football player if he bit you in the arse.

tkmcg
01-04-2017, 20:11
Yet another (unjustified) barrie bashing thread, smh. At least 3 times he cut it back to a blue shirt inside the box who then wasted the chance, that was after turning cadden inside out a number of times. Far, far worse than him out there today but hey ho, enjoy. I'm out.

For his own sake Barrie should leave he has a bright future ahead and staying at Rangers will just totally destroy his confidence,Rangers fans won't miss him they will soon find another whipping boy

ChicagoBear
01-04-2017, 20:13
Could it not be that due to the step up from championship to premiership, like a lot of our squad they are just not good enough!

McKay like many of the squad are struggling with the step up.

FernandoTorres
01-04-2017, 20:15
Wallace just isn't very good. He struggles to tackle, struggles to stop crosses and his final ball going forward is mainly dreadful.

McKay has the ability but he doesn't have the desire/heart to make the most of it. He plays the game at his own pace and really struggles when the game speeds up.

Albertz Was King
01-04-2017, 20:16
Wallace is one of the biggest plodders in the league.

He's so half-hearted in everything he does, whether it's closing down, tackling, stopping crosses or getting a block in.

tazzabear
01-04-2017, 20:16
Agree with your point on Mckay,far better to play him on the right

I wonder why (how many, now) other managers don't see it this way?

ChicagoBear
01-04-2017, 20:18
I wonder why (how many, now) other managers don't see it this way?

Its a weird one because players normally play out wide (on the opposite side) to allow them to cut in and offer a threat at goal. McKay rarely does that. Certainly this season anyway.

gp1981
01-04-2017, 20:20

Thought he was very good second half, football is agame of opinions but I would sense the majority would totally disagree with your comments...always the vocal minority who make extreme statements

lizmac
01-04-2017, 20:27
The stick McKay is taking from some of the support is sickening. You lot couldn't spot a football player if he bit you in the arse. so sad Mckay is sh*** end off

Standards1972
01-04-2017, 20:30
Wallace just isn't very good. He struggles to tackle, struggles to stop crosses and his final ball going forward is mainly dreadful.

McKay has the ability but he doesn't have the desire/heart to make the most of it. He plays the game at his own pace and really struggles when the game speeds up.

Agree about McKay, ability is unquestionable.

Just shows you that determination is almost always the most important attribute.

Drumchapel-Bear
01-04-2017, 20:30
McKay like many of the squad are struggling with the step up.

His best games in the last year have all came against Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen and St Johnstone. Probably the 4 best teams in the league outside us.

He isn't struggling with the step up because when he's played well he's ripped apart the best teams and players in the league almost single handedly at times. Struggling with consistency? Possibly, yes. Playing in a poor Rangers team with constant moon howling from the crowd everytime he tries something that doesn't come off or he's having a quiet game probably doesn't help in regards to his consistency.

If he's struggling with the step up as you say then we are in more bother than many of us think as he's the best player at the club. And that's an opinion shared by most of his teammates.

RFC_Champions
01-04-2017, 20:41
Barring a handful of games (and it is only a handful)... these two guys have been living off their performances of last season.

JamesRiverside
01-04-2017, 20:42
Wallace has been dreadful this season. Offers us very little going forward and you can probably count on one hand the number of times he's kicked the ball with his right foot. He constantly closes his body off when he receives it which means his only option is to pass backwards.

I just wish McKay had more self belief. Doesn't help when fans get on his back for not steaming into 50-50 tackles. I wish someone would play him more centrally.

smid7
01-04-2017, 20:44
I've been wanting him dropped since the game at the piggery but to be fair to him I thought McKay played well second half.

RFC_Champions
01-04-2017, 20:48
His best games in the last year have all came against Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen and St Johnstone. Probably the 4 best teams in the league outside us.

He isn't struggling with the step up because when he's played well he's ripped apart the best teams and players in the league almost single handedly at times. Struggling with consistency? Possibly, yes. Playing in a poor Rangers team with constant moon howling from the crowd everytime he tries something that doesn't come off or he's having a quiet game probably doesn't help in regards to his consistency.

If he's struggling with the step up as you say then we are in more bother than many of us think as he's the best player at the club. And that's an opinion shared by most of his teammates.

I'll agree with you that McKay has played well against Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, and St Johnstone (all at ibrox). He has been poor (or atleast "below par") almost every other game this season. Were those performances against the "top teams" freak performances??? If not, why hasn't he done it in other games?

And FWIW, every one of his teammates probably had their best performances in those four games that you mentioned.

commentator
01-04-2017, 21:22
Early days but was encouraged that Pedro hooked Wallace. It's apparently the 'Emperor's new Clothes' scenario for a lot of us with 'the skipper'. He's a) not a very good defender and b) a terrible captain.
And as for the apologists, Tom Miller chief amongst them, Wallace 'not fit' delivers the same hesitancy, lack of leadership and woeful defending as when apparently not 'not fit'.

He's a liability.

47blue
01-04-2017, 21:34
Early days but was encouraged that Pedro hooked Wallace. It's apparently the 'Emperor's new Clothes' scenario for a lot of us with 'the skipper'. He's a) not a very good defender and b) a terrible captain.
And as for the apologists, Tom Miller chief amongst them, Wallace 'not fit' delivers the same hesitancy, lack of leadership and woeful defending as when apparently not 'not fit'.

He's a liability.

Nice fellow and loyal to the club. Not a very good footballer or captain

ChicagoBear
01-04-2017, 21:41

Yeah ok, im mot getting into an arguement with you, i cant be arsed.

Who gives a shit what his team mates say.....

We are in bother. When our "supposed" best player who is an attacker has 4 goals in the season its no surprise we're 32 points behind Celtic and 49 goals behind them and 10 points and 27 goals behind Aberdeen.

When you pick the "best" of this lot... remember our league position. The best of this lot isnt something to be shouting about.

jdilla
01-04-2017, 21:41
Am genuinely depressed at the abuse McKay gets off our support. Just daft on so many levels

Drumchapel-Bear
01-04-2017, 21:47
Am genuinely depressed at the abuse McKay gets off our support. Just daft on so many levels

In 3 months he's went from being worth 10m and on the verge of a move to Leipzig to not good enough for this Rangers team :D

Standards1972
01-04-2017, 21:55

There's no question the permanently furious nature of our home crowd is an issue.

To deny or worse try to justify it would be wrong.

I have no idea what you can do about it though.

arnietac1
01-04-2017, 22:02
this place reeks every time we do not win. it is like many who go to Ibrox and feel they are supporting the club when for many they don;t. They come to let off steam and just feckin' moan like feck. We lose a poor goal and off they go with complete shit and negativity.
There are guys around me who i only hear when something goes wrong.
Missed pass? "feckin pish Rangers" . Missed tackle? "that's shit(insert players name)" Missed chance? "that's feckin shoit.e you!"
Very rarely do i hear them praising, encouraging the team etc.
That is not what they turn up for.
TOday this started after 3 minutes.
Oh, and they all have their favourites to abuse.

A bit like this thread and many more like it.

I am convinced some of the Wes haters today are a wee bit upset at his performance.
Never mind guys you can start again this midweek!!!

commentator
01-04-2017, 22:07
Won't silence the eejits but as Barrie is seemingly the quickest player at the club he might be more productive if he exploited his pace immediately. Too often he 'stands up' the defender and then tries to get by him. If he's really that quick he should just go at the space behind, If he needs to wait until our attack get up into the box the manager has a decision to make.
There is definitely a player in there but he needs to be told to play to his strengths.

jam_piece
01-04-2017, 22:30
Won't silence the eejits but as Barrie is seemingly the quickest player at the club he might be more productive if he exploited his pace immediately. Too often he 'stands up' the defender and then tries to get by him. If he's really that quick he should just go at the space behind, If he needs to wait until our attack get up into the box the manager has a decision to make.
There is definitely a player in there but he needs to be told to play to his strengths.

He's not quick, it's a misconception. He has good feet. If somebody can point to a clip of him putting the ball past a defender and beating him for speed I'm the last 6 months then I'll take that back. Actually, I won't, because it's not true.

And all this hater nonsense. It's nothing to do with hatred, quite the opposite in fact. I loved the wee man for giving us one of, if not the highlight of the past 5 years or so. But in my opinion his attitude and approach to the game is terrible. The last game against the filth he was as good as a man down. The reason he gets stick is because the people dishing it out actually give a **** about rangers, unlike some of the players lucky enough to be on the pitch.

stevie13000
01-04-2017, 23:11
In 3 months he's went from being worth 10m and on the verge of a move to Leipzig to not good enough for this Rangers team :D

Who said he was on the verge of a move to Leipzig apart from the daily rhags?

arnietac1
01-04-2017, 23:30
He's not quick, it's a misconception. He has good feet. If somebody can point to a clip of him putting the ball past a defender and beating him for speed I'm the last 6 months then I'll take that back. Actually, I won't, because it's not true.

And all this hater nonsense. It's nothing to do with hatred, quite the opposite in fact. I loved the wee man for giving us one of, if not the highlight of the past 5 years or so. But in my opinion his attitude and approach to the game is terrible. The last game against the filth he was as good as a man down. The reason he gets stick is because the people dishing it out actually give a **** about rangers, unlike some of the players lucky enough to be on the pitch.w

What about his NY game about the Filth? Did you comment on how he tore an International for arse paper? Did you? If not why not?
To me you are a drainer. (look it up)
He is not quick statement FFS !!!
If you are not a Tim you are a clown.
Were you at today's game ffs???
What a fan(ny) lol

david1291
01-04-2017, 23:39

And all this hater nonsense. It's nothing to do with hatred, quite the opposite in fact. I loved the wee man for giving us one of, if not the highlight of the past 5 years or so. But in my opinion his attitude and approach to the game is terrible. The last game against the filth he was as good as a man down. The reason he gets stick is because the people dishing it out actually give a **** about rangers, unlike some of the players lucky enough to be on the pitch.

Hyndman said he was the fastest player at the club today. But hey ho, why let facts get in the way

TN8
01-04-2017, 23:39

What a rip roaring arse you're making of yourself. You should change the "jam" in your username to "ring".

jam_piece
01-04-2017, 23:44
w

What about his NY game about the Filth? Did you comment on how he tore an International for arse paper? Did you? If not why not?
To me you are a drainer. (look it up)
He is not quick statement FFS !!!
If you are not a Tim you are a clown.
Were you at today's game ffs???
What a fan(ny) lol

Fan(ny)s don't come much bigger than me, I'm the first to admit, but I'm right. I'm still waiting on you telling me where I can see the speed meister put a ball past a mediocre spl defender and beat him for pace (one where he doesn't put it past him and run into the back of him because he's given up, or one where he cuts back and slows down the attack)

TN8
01-04-2017, 23:46
Fan(ny)s don't come much bigger than me, I'm the first to admit, but I'm right. I'm still waiting on you telling me where I can see the speed meister put a ball past a mediocre spl defender and beat him for pace (one where he doesn't put it past him and run into the back of him because he's given up, or one where he cuts back and slows down the attack)

He did it 3 or 4 times in the 2nd half today - he does it several times a game, ya f*cking loonball :blink:

Are you mistaking McKay for Waghorn?!

arnietac1
01-04-2017, 23:47
What a rip roaring arse you're making of yourself. You should change the "jam" in your username to "ring".

If he is not trolling then he is a Tim. either way he should be gone from here.

jam_piece
01-04-2017, 23:51
If he is not trolling then he is a Tim. either way he should be gone from here.

For having an opinion? Was the manager a Tim when he dropped him earlier in the season?

copeland road
01-04-2017, 23:55
Some utter ****ing shite being posted here. Barrie was by a mile our most creative player today. Quiet first half, good second half. Was absolutely toasting their right back, but admittedly had a lot of poor left footed crosses/cut backs.
However, a good few lovely passes with the usual perfect weight. Those who know the game can see a mile off that he's way ahead of most of what's around him. Better players who can read him, or perhaps just with a little more pace, will thrive off the chances Barrie can create.
If he can just develop his body a bit, he'll be a world beater!

Andy_Fraser
01-04-2017, 23:55
There's no doubting McKay has the ability but he really has the heart of a mouse. The amount of times he's involved in what should be a 50-50 challenge, 9 times out of 10 he'll lose out. You can have all the ability in the world but if the hearts not in it then forget it.

TN8
02-04-2017, 00:00
There's no doubting McKay has the ability but he really has the heart of a mouse. The amount of times he's involved in what should be a 50-50 challenge, 9 times out of 10 he'll lose out. You can have all the ability in the world but if the hearts not in it then forget it.

People need to realise that McKay just isn't going to win 50-50s. He's wee. He's not that strong. He can't tackle. He's one of our most dangerous and creative players and I wouldn't want to see him pick up an injury in a pointless challenge out on the wing on the halfway line that he was never going to win.

ChicagoBear
02-04-2017, 00:03
I couldnt give two f*cks about McKay winning 50/50's my bigger concern is when he is struggling to beat his opponent in the first 10/15 minutes he throws in the towel.

I've said it in numerous threads about him but you can tell what type of game McKay will have in the first 20 minutes of a match. He gets success in those early stages against his opponent then he'll have a good game. If not he's practically a man down for those 90 minutes.

Thats the area of his game he needs to improve.

Andy_Fraser
02-04-2017, 00:12
I couldnt give two f*cks about McKay winning 50/50's my bigger concern is when he is struggling to beat his opponent in the first 10/15 minutes he throws in the towel.

I've said it in numerous threads about him but you can tell what type of game McKay will have in the first 20 minutes of a match. He gets success in those early stages against his opponent then he'll have a good game. If not he's practically a man down for those 90 minutes.

That ties into my point regarding the lack of heart. See his performance in the last old firm game. When you can't count on one of your most creative players to put in a shift when the going gets tough it's simply not good enough.

TN8
02-04-2017, 00:26

Well I'd say his performance today contradicts your point. He was awful in the first half, as were most of the team.

2nd half he was going past their right-back with ease and got a few good balls into the box.

Duranman
02-04-2017, 00:27
Neither can cross a Ball to save their lives

ChicagoBear
02-04-2017, 00:29
Well I'd say his performance today contradicts your point. He was awful in the first half, as were most of the team.

2nd half he was going past their right-back with ease and got a few good balls into the box.

There can be one anomaly in amongst it for the most part his form tends to follow what I was saying.

McKay has a long long way to go to get to the level his hype (on here especially) deserves.

Spart7
02-04-2017, 00:40
He's also got a long, long way to fall to get down to the level the ff critics believe he's at Chicagobear.

wayoutwest
02-04-2017, 00:41

I'm not convinced he can.

I love watching Mckay when he's on his game, but it simply doesn't happen often enough. As someone else on this thread said, he has the heart of a mouse. Might be time to cash in on him while there is still hype…..

TN8
02-04-2017, 00:53
There can be one anomaly in amongst it for the most part his form tends to follow what I was saying.

McKay has a long long way to go to get to the level his hype (on here especially) deserves.

Yeah fair enough. I just mean maybe today shows he is capable of overcoming a poor start to a game. Hopefully he can improve it in future. I know 22 years old isn't a kid anymore but it is still a young age and a long way from his full potential.

Derek Trotter
02-04-2017, 00:55
Wallace cannot defend. He is hopeless

McKay riles me. Without the ball, he does the bare minimum which infuriates me. Even with the ball at times he looks half arsed

Multiplicity
02-04-2017, 02:51
The stick McKay is taking from some of the support is sickening. You lot couldn't spot a football player if he bit you in the arse.

Personally, I've said for a while that McKay is a talented footballer and would flourish in a less physical League but it does not change the fact he shits it multiple times during games and I've said this effectively all season and even last. McKay will be great but not in Scotland and it's an indicator of the problem in this country but that's the way it is and if we want to get to where we need to be we need to sell him whilst his stocks high and make a profit to strengthen key areas to compete for titles.

Football in this country is garbage but we are where we are and I feel sorry for McKay as he is extremely talented and he wouldn't have these problems in any other countries. He needs a move.

johnny boyd
02-04-2017, 09:25
Barries 4 goals in 36 games is not good enough to help us get back to the top.

3 goals in the league and only 3 assists , absolutely terrible stats .

jdilla
02-04-2017, 09:33
Absolute gutter that our 5"9 winger can't win 50-50 tackles

The team as a whole has been dreadful going forward this year, and I dare say he'd have racked up more assists if Garner could hit a barn door. It'll be nice to see how he gets on with a more intelligent player up front next season

Drumchapel-Bear
02-04-2017, 09:44
Personally, I've said for a while that McKay is a talented footballer and would flourish in a less physical League but it does not change the fact he shits it multiple times during games and I've said this effectively all season and even last. McKay will be great but not in Scotland and it's an indicator of the problem in this country but that's the way it is and if we want to get to where we need to be we need to sell him whilst his stocks high and make a profit to strengthen key areas to compete for titles.

Football in this country is garbage but we are where we are and I feel sorry for McKay as he is extremely talented and he wouldn't have these problems in any other countries. He needs a move.

It just seems extremely odd to me that in these unprecedented times at Ibrox, we would want to turn on our most talented and gifted player and worry about what he can't do. There's a million other issues that should have a higher priority to be addressed prior to chasing Barrie McKay from the club.

But he's coming into the last 12 months of his deal anyway so we reach a cross road in the summer were he either signs a new deal or needs to be sold.

Pollok-Loyal
02-04-2017, 11:27

It never stopped Neil McCann.

toadegree
02-04-2017, 11:40
Lee Wallace is simply a poor defender, and always has been, he is not captain material either, and gets away with a lot from the support for sentimental reasons. McKay, as has already been stated, has no heart, bricks it from any hard tackle, and drops out of the game when its not going his way. We have a long way to go, and have to hope the board got it right with the manager, otherwise its going to be a lengthy hard struggle being stuck with players who are not good enough, and will be hard to get rid of.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
02-04-2017, 11:58
McKay's close control and ability to glide past full backs are quite exceptional at times.

But that final ball man. It's piss weak and dreadful. There's no point dressing it up.

tkmcg
02-04-2017, 12:06
Wallace is coming to the end of his career and is definitely beginning to show a dip in his performances,McKay still relatively young very talented with room for improvement,Now he needs too move to a team who can take him to another level because there is no patience for young players to develop at Ibrox,When fans vent their spleens whith the abuse from the stands to the degree they do with Barrie it's time to go and let another player take a turn.

toadegree
02-04-2017, 14:07
Wallace is coming to the end of his career and is definitely beginning to show a dip in his performances,McKay still relatively young very talented with room for improvement,Now he needs too move to a team who can take him to another level because there is no patience for young players to develop at Ibrox,When fans vent their spleens whith the abuse from the stands to the degree they do with Barrie it's time to go and let another player take a turn.
The "end of his career", he's only 29!

tkmcg
02-04-2017, 14:19
The "end of his career", he's only 29!

Nothing to do with numbers he is past his best.

Multiplicity
02-04-2017, 14:50

Barry is nowhere near the quality of McCann also, McCann was playing in much better and successful Rangers sides. Barry is an unaffordable luxury in a team that's in a physical battle every single game playing against teams that know they're capable of taking points whether it be at Ibrox or away and this is because of players with the character of McKay.

All season we have been second to loose balls and losing 50/50s and McKay is one of the worst culprits, like it or not it is a requirement in this league to be physical especially nowadays.

Heraclitus
02-04-2017, 15:01
We are in big trouble with the lack of patience that many fans have.

McKay is an "unaffordable luxury" supposedly. Won't be long now till fans are calling for the new manager's head.

tkmcg
02-04-2017, 15:35

McCann was fantastic and McKay should look to get to his standard,What age was McCann when he came to us.

Multiplicity
02-04-2017, 16:17
We are in big trouble with the lack of patience that many fans have.

McKay is an "unaffordable luxury" supposedly. Won't be long now till fans are calling for the new manager's head.

You've took one thing I've said and completely ignored the rest of my post. I'd appreciate if you could quote the full thing and actually respond to me instead of having a snide dig.

CaliforniaExile
02-04-2017, 16:27
Barrie McKay isn't a forward player.

He can't shoot, has a dreadful final pass and cross and has poor decision making. 3 goals and 3 assists all season tells you that.

However he is still a talented footballer with good close control and technique. I think we should play him deeper to make the most of his talents, as a deep lying playmaker in the centre with a destroyer type beside him.

melbbear
03-04-2017, 04:09
Maybe not, but it is one of the biggest loads of tripe I've read on here.

I agree he has no heart but to brand someone a coward bit over the top football not the army. Not a big boy but still no excuse for not getting stuck in. Old Rangers wingers Henderson wee bud mr Hubbard yes saw him play my first Rangers hero. They played when fullbacks were allowed to tackle aye from the waist down. Never shirked a tackle. Aye and got payed pennies compared to now.

barneythebear
03-04-2017, 06:10
To be honest 90% of the team could have a thread saying why they are not good enough and that figure is conservative - unfortunately that's where we are and it won't change anytime soon.

Heraclitus
03-04-2017, 06:16
You've took one thing I've said and completely ignored the rest of my post. I'd appreciate if you could quote the full thing and actually respond to me instead of having a snide dig.
None of your awful post was worth repeating really.

The_Glorious_12th
03-04-2017, 06:48

FFS

It's posts like this that illustrate how ****ed the game up here is. Desperate to see a 5 ft 7 winger launch into tackles. :blink:

daven37
03-04-2017, 07:02

Pish. Absolute pish.

adamski
03-04-2017, 07:02
Wallace wasn't good enough to play in a winning Rangers side in 2011 when he signed. Nothing has changed in the six years inbetween.

McKay at least shows in flashes and can improve. The wee boy will have to disappear quickly however.

adamski
03-04-2017, 07:07
McCann was fantastic and McKay should look to get to his standard,What age was McCann when he came to us.

25 years old

tkmcg
03-04-2017, 07:49
25 years old

Brilliant piece of business McKay could do with sitting down and having a chat and taking a few coaching sessions from McCann maybe watching a few old clips of him playing.

CM13
03-04-2017, 08:01
Think it's harsh to say McKay has been poor. He's been inconsistent but certainly not poor. Still young and will improve I'm sure needs to work on his final ball and work rate for me. He takes some amount of stick where I sit at ibrox. Wallace on the other hand I think he has struggled all season seems to have lost a yard of pace I wouldn't mind if he was replaced in the summer, don't think he shows great leadership qualities either.

gp1981
03-04-2017, 08:01
People seem to be re-writing history with McCann, as excellent as he was overall I certainly remember performances that were more Gregg Wylde than Cooper. Beating people at will and scoring goals at the piggery didnt happen every week. A winger is a tough and very over criticised position. More often than not whenever I see Sterling play he doesnt get to the byline and rarely seems to deliver any telling crosses and certainly doesnt have great work rate defensively. Whether its 50m or 5m you could find ways to criticise any winger

canisbaybluenose
03-04-2017, 08:03
This thread fills me with despair. Some of the opinions on here are just woeful. Barry Mackay is playing his first full season of top flight football, in a team that is struggling for form and has changed manager half way through the season. He has had some really good games where he has been our best player, he has had some periods of time where he has lacked confidence and struggled. Why would that be a surprise to anyone?

When Ronaldo signed for ManU he took a fair bit of time to fit in to the club and find his feet at that level, his first two seasons were pretty indifferent considering what he achieved after that. Mackay is being expected to be the main attacking / creative threat for much of this season and still finding his feet. It is perfectly normal for young players to struggle for consistency, it is to be expected.

Some on here need to get off the guys back and support him. It is really good to see a young Scottish player with his potential in our team. He is a real talent, a quality player that will make it if managed properly and if supported by the fans. We need to take young players through, that means us as fans supporting them and forgiving the shaky games and appreciating the really good games. He has a lot of learning and improving to do in exactly the same way as any other youngster.

Litening to some of the ploppy pants on here we will never develop young players. There are a fair number of players that have let the team down this year, Mackay is not one of them. We need to get realistic over youngsters and get behind them not have threads slagging them off.

rossgers
03-04-2017, 08:22
Barrie McKay is our best player but still has a lot of improvement in him. On Saturday in the second half he was our best outlet and beat his man 9 times out of ten. His final ball is frustrating. Can this be put down to playing on the left? He's putting a ball in with his weak foot unless he cuts back, like he did in the first half when he set up Waghorn who just missed. He's not cutting in and shooting with his right and Wallace isn't overlapping, see below, so what is the strategy here? If he can beat the full back 9 times out of 10 and put in a better ball with his right foot, should we not play him on the right for better effect?
I hope Pedro can develop some defensive determination out of him. Winning the ball back and covering for team mates is part of the game. Also needs to add goals. He should be looking for some tap ins back post when the play develops on the opposite wing.

Wallace has looked like he's carrying an injury all season. Fully fit he's great going forward and has as many goals as McKay. He's not the best defender in the league but Forrest hasn't really had a sniff against him in recent games. Is way down the pecking order of Rangers players I'd want replaced.

These 2 are guys we need to keep if we are going to get anywhere.

Leo_Ger
03-04-2017, 08:25
It's fair to say his finishing needs to improve but using assist stats to have a go at McKay is a bit of a fallacy considering we all know our forward player's finishing has been dire.

In Britain only Wes Hoolahan, Philippe Coutinho, Alexis Sanchez and Henrikh Mkhitaryan average more shot assists per 90 than Barrie McKay.

His actual assist total would be pretty high if he was supplying quality players.

kaznkev
03-04-2017, 09:13
Wallace was not fit and should not have started.

That's his excuse for this weekend but he's been poor all season.
He backs off far too often and allows the opposition into the box before tackling.
He's too quiet on the park to be captain.
Anything goes against other teams and it's their captain that's up at the ref but not ours, he leaves it to Miller.

Supergreengo
03-04-2017, 09:20
I think McKay is an excellent footballer who needs to work on certain aspects of his game to take him to the next level. His final ball as has been said before is one. Also if he's going to continue taking corners he needs to learn how to whip it in. These floaty corners do my head in.

Wallace has done a job for us but we need better at left back and we definitely need a more vocal, inspirational captain.

cadge_1959
03-04-2017, 09:28
That is my summing of McKay's 2nd half performance. The whole team were dire in the 1st half, but an all round improvement in the 2nd. McKay cut the ball back 3 times in the 2nd half and we squandered the chances. There was a piece of skill from McKay today that seems to have been forgotten by those abusing him on here,surrounded by 3 well players, a bit trickery and he comes away with the ball and makes the pass. A joy to have seen.

cadge_1959
03-04-2017, 09:35
I agree he has no heart but to brand someone a coward bit over the top football not the army. Not a big boy but still no excuse for not getting stuck in. Old Rangers wingers Henderson wee bud mr Hubbard yes saw him play my first Rangers hero. They played when fullbacks were allowed to tackle aye from the waist down. Never shirked a tackle. Aye and got payed pennies compared to now.

That may be true but not all wingers would tackle, 2 of our best - Tommy McLean and the greatest, Davie Cooper were not known for their prowess in defending, let alone tackling.

Bowery Boys
03-04-2017, 09:53

It's always been the same.

Albertz was a shitebag, Davis was a coward, Ferguson was a crab.

There are countless dolts who go and watch us on a Saturday and just love to show everybody how f*cking stupid they are. Many of them also have FF log ins.