PDA

View Full Version : Billy Gilmour - ADMIN EDIT Hasn't signed for anyone yet

dt17
27-03-2017, 08:55
Just reading it on the goal.com website there. Apparently a deal has been reached and he'll join them in the summer for around £500,000.

Disappointing and to be honest apart from the financial side of it it's difficult to understand. Why go to a team who have 40 youngsters already out on loan where he'll most likely never make a first team appearance?

Dougie Gray
27-03-2017, 08:56
Just reading it on the goal.com website there. Apparently a deal has been reached and he'll join them in the summer for around £500,000.

Disappointing and to be honest apart from the financial side of it it's difficult to understand. Why go to a team who have 40 youngsters already out on loan where he'll most likely never make a first team appearance?

one word.

Cash.

Boab _spb
27-03-2017, 08:57
So he hasn't actually signed for Chelsea then its just a website saying its "apparently" been agreed?

Sutton_Blows_g0ats
27-03-2017, 08:57
good luck to the lad i for one still wish him well.

dt17
27-03-2017, 08:59
Here's the link for the story...

http://bit.ly/2nZ5j7h

Altogether_now
27-03-2017, 08:59
His cousin posts on here. Think his username is Ian Durrant or similar. Hopefully he can set us straight either way

Beattie
27-03-2017, 09:00
Would be a bit of a shame if true.

buster
27-03-2017, 09:00
Makes you wonder what an academy is all about wrt the football team.

Get an exceptional youngster and you never see him in a Rangers top.

As for business, may be good for immediate cashflow but if BG is the player many think he is then we've lost a tenner and found 5p.

Sutton_Blows_g0ats
27-03-2017, 09:02
Makes you wonder what an academy is all about wrt the football team.

As for business, may be good for immediate cashflow but if BG is the player many think he is then we've lost a tenner and found 5p.

Nature of the business mate we do it too. Like with that lad from Finland recently.

Dalbear
27-03-2017, 09:02
Think I'll wait for a better source than goal.com

steniebear
27-03-2017, 09:03
Makes you wonder why you spend all the time and money on nurturing these kids only for this to happen.

Maybe cherry picking other clubs 16 year olds is the answer rather than spending time bringing them on from 6 years old.

Fowz
27-03-2017, 09:05
Haven't seen him play, only read the reviews of folk on here. If he's half as good as has been made out then we may well have lost a gem.

Hopefully the lad goes on to have a successful career and doesn't come to regret his decision.

buster
27-03-2017, 09:05
Nature of the business mate we do it too. Like with that lad from Finland recently.

Too much business and too little sport will take it's toll.

interbear
27-03-2017, 09:06
Real shame if true.

Money rules.

Chelsea have a well regarded academy set up but it means his "pathway to the first team" (sorry) will be far harder and longer.

Perhaps we can get him on loan at some point, but overall I feel it's a crying shame that a young Ranger with talent can be praised away so easily. And yes, I know we do the same occasionally but that doesn't make it right.

Papa Sasac
27-03-2017, 09:08
We've benefitted from it in the past as well when we've plucked a lesser team's star youngster and never given him a chance, so we can't be hypocritical about it.

However, this is hugely disappointing if true and sums up the modern game. For where he'll end up, see Islam Feruz. Would put money on it going the same way. Will eat my shoes if he kicks a ball for Chelsea 1st team.

Anyway, best of luck to him I suppose if it's indeed true.

dt17
27-03-2017, 09:09
I genuinely think FIFA should introduce a rule to stop teams from basically stockpiling young players. I heard the other night Juventus have 55 players out on loan, I know Chelsea have 40 as well. That is shocking in itself!

Battlefield Bear
27-03-2017, 09:09
Let's wait and see on this one.

However, modern football is rubbish.

strider
27-03-2017, 09:10
If he signs for them - and I suspect we'll be told no decision has been made yet - it won't matter if he gets a game for Chelsea or not. He'll make good money, be loaned to clubs around our level or higher once ready, and if he's as good as suggested by most and has some luck, he'll have a cracking career somewhere or other.

In truth, there's a better chance of reaching his potential at Chelsea than at Rangers. It would be a bit of a sickener to see him go, but after Windass, Crooks, Dodoo and Rossiter it's hard to complain about the rules.

supergers07
27-03-2017, 09:11
Sad, but to be honest no young quality player with genuine ambition will want to kick around Scotland for any period of time.

fraz1ross
27-03-2017, 09:11
The kids been hyped up to the John Fleck level, wish him well anyway.

bluenose1979
27-03-2017, 09:12
Heard a while back that Chelsea were looking like his favoured destination via a father of a schoolmate of his. Took with a pinch of salt, but sounded perfectly plausible and never held out much hope for him staying with us.

Doubt the lad will ever kick a ball for their first team, but will earn a packet and no doubt forge a decent career somewhere if he puts the work in.

GBTQ
27-03-2017, 09:12
For a club like ours investing in academies is pointless if the best can be poached before their 16. You get minimal out of it. That money wouldn't even cover a year of keeping the place open and he's the best talent we have.

Extremely frustrating if confirmed by his family member on here.

devilman
27-03-2017, 09:14
His bank balance will do well. Not so sure his playing career will get the same boost but you never know - they could develop and grow him into a fantastic player but could also just be another player that ends up with a very mediocre career.

Just a shame it's so easy for these clubs to come in and take the best talent.

sh3lldon
27-03-2017, 09:14
If it is the case wouldn't play him anymore and let him sit it out until summer no point in injuries or anything happening if he doesnt want to be here get the cash in. I always feel players who take the easy money young hold a doubt about ability probably more in their head and fearing it will never come later with work at lower level and progression. you offer a young lad and family a few k a week and it will be hard for them to turn down

It is tough when a club like ours is losing players who have a great chance and path to actually playing but im sure there will be another youngster who comes up with the attitude and the want to play for us and then progress

buster
27-03-2017, 09:17
If he signs for them - and I suspect we'll be told no decision has been made yet - it won't matter if he gets a game for Chelsea or not. He'll make good money, be loaned to clubs around our level or higher once ready, and if he's as good as suggested by most and has some luck, he'll have a cracking career somewhere or other.

In truth, there's a better chance of reaching his potential at Chelsea than at Rangers. It would be a bit of a sickener to see him go, but after Windass, Crooks, Dodoo and Rossiter it's hard to complain about the rules.

The consistent thing about it is you have football supporters complaining about the rules and bigger clubs taking advantage.

Given that there is so much said about fair play and supporters being the lifeblood of the game, you'd think they wouldn't allow such inbalances to develop in a sport....but then it isn't really a sport, it's a business and we get taken for a (willing) ride.

-------------

Note. The term 'willing ride' is the Oxford dictionary opposite to rape. :badjoke:

Valley Bluenose
27-03-2017, 09:17

Thats exactly how it will work out I suspect. Chelsea don't have many (any?) break through - but loads go on to do well elsewhere.

Fact is, we do the same thing ourselves - albeit on a smaller scale.

WestendGer
27-03-2017, 09:19
Gutted that i didn't get to see such a highly rated player turn out for Rangers. I think this will be the norm from now on with anyone who is a standout in the youth dept.

Virgil Hilts
27-03-2017, 09:19
A mistake if you ask me. The boy was getting closer to a first team debut with Rangers, and I can't help think that experience would have served him better in the long run. However, money rules the modern game and its hard to tell a young player not to take the cash when and where it's offered, even if it does harm his career. A single injury, or drop off in form, could rob him of getting the chance again

jonnymcc1
27-03-2017, 09:20
It's a shame, if he's as good as people say he is, that we won't see him in a Rangers shirt.

However if that's what he and his family think is best for his career you can hardly blame him, tough decision to make i'm sure. Hopefully he goes on to have a cracking career.

Clubs like Chelsea have football ruined.

macdonsj
27-03-2017, 09:23

IMO a massive difference in those cases & Gilmour
that list had played varying degrees of first team games for their club - had made some sort of breakthrough
Gilmour isn't even able to play in a league game for us

FIFA should be implementing a rule change to prevent lads of his age being bought

texas_pedro
27-03-2017, 09:23
Speaking to some of the youth coaches at his level, his desire to improve and work hard outside of training is second to none. Pity it's not with us but good luck to him

Earl of Leven
27-03-2017, 09:24
His argument:

1. Money, and lots of it
2. Better coaching
3. Better loan clubs, i.e. Holland, Championship etc...rather than Raith Rovers
4. Well regarded youth system...Chelsea kids rarely play for Chelsea but do get picked up and stay in football at good level

Teddyjohn
27-03-2017, 09:26
A very short-sighted move, if it's true.

buster
27-03-2017, 09:30
His argument:

1. Money, and lots of it
2. Better coaching
3. Better loan clubs, i.e. Holland, Championship etc...rather than Raith Rovers
4. Well regarded youth system...Chelsea kids rarely play for Chelsea but do get picked up and stay in football at good level

Fair points, well made.

We need to work on 2, 3 and 4.

Comes back to the importance of infrastructure and proven 'pathway'.

david1982
27-03-2017, 09:31
Understandable from a finanicial perspective but if he is good the money would come at some point anyway, can we not have a situation where Chelsea could give us him back on loan for 2 years?

imager
If true then best of luck to the lad, it's a sad fact of Football now that money talks, he will make some money but he's destined to be loaned out several times before a free to a Club at a much lower level than his talent should dictate.

Bowery Boys
I very much doubt he'll ever play for their first team.

Reg_Shoe
27-03-2017, 09:32
I'm sure I read somewhere last week that the new UEFA President is attempting to stop the clubs from the top 5 leagues from hoarding players to make sure the talent pool is distributed more. I can't remember if he was referring to 1st team squads or the number of players in total, but I think Chelsea's stat of having 40 youngsters on loan was mentioned in the article. I need to try and find the article.

Scott19
27-03-2017, 09:33
I think I heard a rumour on here that he was being offered a cars and a house and also a re-location plan for his family etc.

When I was his age I only had to concern myself with burds and exams. It's a lot for someone so young to comprehend something so big, so I don't feel anyone should be too harsh on him if he has decided to move on.

If he has the talent, he'll make it anywhere. Cream rises to the top.

MoodyBlue1872
Wouldn't be surprised if in 5 years time he's at a Dundee Utd or a Motherwell.

Seen it so many times before. Young player 'shows great potential' then fails to develop. Once he has all his cars, houses and money the hunger will go and so will performance. Happens time and time again.

As for academies - pretty pointless, as whenever a 'talent' is unearthed they're away from Rangers.

BobbyShearer
I genuinely think FIFA should introduce a rule to stop teams from basically stockpiling young players. I heard the other night Juventus have 55 players out on loan, I know Chelsea have 40 as well. That is shocking in itself!

This is a good point-frustrating that the super clubs basically just scattergun any young talent just incase they miss out on the next ronaldo.

Bizarrely though, if they do miss out or let one go by mistake, they just get the chequebook out and sign them anyway.

jimbear
27-03-2017, 09:34
Makes you wonder what an academy is all about wrt the f8ootball team.

Spot on post. For all of the criticism Rangers have had about Murray Park the real story is that just about every time we have had a genuinely very good young player they have been lured away to what they think are better pastures. Other than Charlie Adam they have all just about slipped into the obscurity of lower league football. While I don't blame young players for jumping at the money on offer, it does not always work out for the best for their longer term futures.

alwaysfirst
We lose a prospect and clowns think our Academy isn't working. It has always been the case that clubs can afford to cherry pick from poorer clubs. We have been doing that all my life.
I have never seen Gilmour, but remember seeing Derek Ferguson aged 15. He was incredible. John Fleck ?

Andy Weir
Disappointing but there's a lot more talent in our youth system to get excited about. Maybe not quite as good as Gilmour but still.

His cousin/uncle (one of them, not both!) posted the other day 'Will be a great signing for Chelsea :ninja:'

shivnaraine
27-03-2017, 09:35
It's from goal.com, not exactly a credible source. I'll wait and see with this one

SlinkySinky
27-03-2017, 09:36
The way youth academies can be plundered by TV money or Wealthy owner clubs these days makes an absolute mockery of even having a youth programme.

I absolutely loathe what UEFA, FIFA and TV have done to our game over a prolonged period.

Jelle1880
27-03-2017, 09:36
Bad move in my opinion, if it's true.

Chelsea are known for hoovering up talent everywhere and then just sending them out to Vitesse or whatever other shit club they have deals with.

macdonsj
27-03-2017, 09:37
We lose a prospect and clowns think our Academy isn't working. It has always been the case that clubs can afford to cherry pick from poorer clubs. We have been doing that all my life.
I have never seen Gilmour, but remember seeing Derek Ferguson aged 15. He was incredible. John Fleck ?

it probably shows the exact opposite
if we didn't have a good academy, teams like Chelsea wouldn't be looking at our lads

that transfer pays for a lot of Auchenhowie this year

david1982
27-03-2017, 09:37
I think I heard a rumour on here that he was being offered a cars and a house and also a re-location plan for his family etc.

When I was his age I only had to concern myself with burds and exams. It's a lot for someone so young to comprehend something so big, so I don't feel anyone should be too harsh on him if he has decided to move on.

If he has the talent, he'll make it anywhere. Cream rises to the top.

Don't think anyone has been overly harsh on this thread at all, sense of disappointment and frustration which is understandable.

I agree it must be difficult at 15/16 your being offered all sorts of shit by a club owned by a Russian billionaire, but from a footballing perspective he will go nowhere at Chelsea we have seen that dozens of times with the young players Chelsea stockpile and never give a chance to.

If he does go then he will be in their youths for a year or two then papped out to some League 1 club on loan.

OnlyOneAmoruso
27-03-2017, 09:38
Disappointing but there's a lot more talent in our youth system to get excited about. Maybe not quite as good as Gilmour but still.

His cousin/uncle (one of them, not both!) posted the other day 'Will be a great signing for Chelsea :ninja:'

I read that post as very clearly sarcastic.

permatan
Sucked up the Chelsea youth machine. Float around on loan for 2/3 years before being spat out to Watford for £750k. £250k profit and a job well done by their 'academy'

archimedes

To be honest, John Fleck has turned out to be a distinctly average footballer.

If he hadn't been at Rangers, most on here would never have heard of him.

imager
I heard an interview a while back with a guy from Alax youth system who said nowadays they identify talented kids, 9 times out of ten when they go to their home there's a new car outside and they know PSG, Man City or Chelsea have got there first,

money will kill Football eventually.

MoodyBlue1872
27-03-2017, 09:39
He'll never play a first team game for Chelski.

Porto Loyal
27-03-2017, 09:41
FIFA should be implementing a rule change to prevent lads of his age being bought

Back in the day of 's' forms you could sign a lad up and have an option on him after he turns 16/leaves school - the current laws don't allow that

garymack2.0
27-03-2017, 09:41
I dont get folk saying "they have 40 odd youngsters..why would he go there, he has no chance"

Maybe the kid has ambition and believes he can make it to the very top of the game (I know thats not a very Scottish mentality)......... good luck to him if true

Northampton_loyalist
27-03-2017, 09:42
How on earth can people question the point in an academy? Utterly stupid. Look at just the bare bones of this, no emotion: the club (assuming the story is accurate) have just made 500k on a 15 year old kid who has never kicked a ball in anger. His development will have cost a fraction o that, he could just decide to chuck it tomorrow, or get hit by a bus. Half a million is more that 95% of our squad cost us individually. Half a million is 1/8th of our ENTIRE outlay on the first team. THAT, pretty bloody obviously, Is the point in an academy.

Yes, we all want to see 11 home grown players come through the ranks and lift trophies. Unfortunately we also live in the real world where small gains are vital to our development.

Blue Lew
Is anyone surprised? It's the chance of a lifetime and he will most probably make life changing money.
I can't see him making the first team but good luck to the kid.

david1982
Sucked up the Chelsea youth machine. Float around on loan for 2/3 years before being spat out to Watford for £750k. £250k profit and a job well done by their 'academy'

Patrick Bamford has been out on loan what about 5/6 times? Scored goals galore at different clubs in The Championship and never got a sniff at Chelsea, even when shite like Loic Remy and a 36/37 year old Drogba were hanging about.

Sold to Middlesborough for 5m and now his attitude stinks that much he can't even get on their bench.

Aunty Christ
27-03-2017, 09:44
This is great news. The Ajax Model is working. We'll soon be rich.

OnlyOneAmoruso
Wouldn't be surprised if in 5 years time he's at a Dundee Utd or a Motherwell.

Seen it so many times before. Young player 'shows great potential' then fails to develop. Once he has all his cars, houses and money the hunger will go and so will performance. Happens time and time again.

As for academies - pretty pointless, as whenever a 'talent' is unearthed they're away from Rangers.

So you've seen a young player fail to develop many many times before and you think he'll be at Dundee Utd or Motherwell in 5 years. Why wouldn't we then take a very decent fee for him now if his career is only going to amount to that anyway?

Academies are all about making money for the club, whether that's selling a 16 year old or in an ideal world selling a 22-23 year old for big bucks.

david1982
How on earth can people question the point in an academy? Utterly stupid. Look at just the bare bones of this, no emotion: the club (assuming the story is accurate) have just made 500k on a 15 year old kid who has never kicked a ball in anger. His development will have cost a fraction o that, he could just decide to chuck it tomorrow, or get hit by a bus. Half a million is more that 95% of our squad cost us individually. Half a million is 1/8th of our ENTIRE outlay on the first team. THAT, pretty bloody obviously, Is the point in an academy.

Yes, we all want to see 11 home grown players come through the ranks and lift trophies. Unfortunately we also live in the real world where small gains are vital to our development.

The problem is though that 500 grand could have turned into 5/6/7m quid when the lad eventually got into our first team further down the line in 2/3 years plus we at least would have the chance to see him play for Rangers.

We can't really be hypocritical about it though we have done the same to others in the past.

david1982
27-03-2017, 09:46
I dont get folk saying "they have 40 odd youngsters..why would he go there, he has no chance"

Maybe the kid has ambition and believes he can make it to the very top of the game (I know thats not a very Scottish mentality)......... good luck to him if true

With all due respect there will be far better players than Gilmour from all corners of Europe who have thought the same about going to Chelsea and never got a sniff at the first team.

boris
27-03-2017, 09:48

Good point well made. Only downside for us is if he does turn into a world beater and we could have got Dembele ( sorry ?) level of fee in a few years. From Billy`s point of view can understand him taking the deal on offer rather than wait for 5/6 years.

Burgh-Ger
Give the boy a break!
If it's true, good luck to him! We all have choices to make in life!

Northampton_loyalist
The problem is though that 500 grand could have turned into 5/6/7m quid when the lad eventually got into our first team further down the line in 2/3 years plus we at least would have the chance to see him play for Rangers.

We can't really be hypocritical about it though we have done the same to others in the past.

Or, just as likely in a 15 year old kid, he could turn out to be Fleck mk3, or snap his cruciate, or his bones could melt. In the real world we can be disappointed that we did not get the chance to see him develop into a first team player with us, but welcome a good bit of unexpected cash that can be invested in the team.

david1982
27-03-2017, 09:49
Can Rangers insist on a sell on clause?

copeland road
27-03-2017, 09:50
Nobody has a crystal ball
Only opinions on what they think might happen
Staying at rangers an the weight of expectation,being the next apparent big thing
I disagree with people about going down there is a bad move
The standard at every level of football down there is higher
So the kid wants to be the best he can
Who knows if staying would make him a better player
Nobody has a crystal ball
All opinions
On ye go wee man.hope you become a superstar

stoob
27-03-2017, 09:53

Absolutely this. £500k for a 15 year old is a fantastic bit of business! How many of the current 1st team squad would you move on for this figure

Good luck to the lad, I hope he truelly has the ambition to make it at the highest level

MoodyBlue1872
27-03-2017, 09:54
Surely we shouldn't be playing him for the rest of the season now that he's decided to move away. He shouldn't be given any more game time.

Priority is making sure we get our money.

Butcher6
27-03-2017, 09:55
His uncle posts on here Durrant10 we will find out the truth once he posts.

Wouldn't surprise me but 500k is very good money for potential but the lad is a good player and our academy looks to be working.

Long story short he will be offered life changing money we just can't offer a 16 year old 10-15k a week and I wouldn't want us too either.

canisbaybluenose
27-03-2017, 09:55
Lad has to do what is best for himself, this move will financially sort him, be mad not to take it. Mad world but that is football. Agree rules should be changed to stop this stockpiling, 45 players out on loan is ridiculous.

scooter70
27-03-2017, 09:57
If this is true then having a youth system in place is clearly pointless

If £500k is it for a lad who, by all accounts, is a cracking player, then it's clearly inefficient to run such a system

Ape and Essence
27-03-2017, 09:58
Is anyone surprised? It's the chance of a lifetime and he will most probably make life changing money.
I can't see him making the first team but good luck to the kid.I'm not surprised at all, as that's the way of the modern game. Can't help being a little disappointed, though.

No harm to him, but I don't really give a **** about how he develops now.

TPol_RFC
27-03-2017, 10:02
Don't go along with the good luck posts. Don't wish him any personal ill at all but the worse he turns out the better bit of business it will be for us.

muz73
27-03-2017, 10:05
Could I offer some thoughts coming from a different angle, speaking as parent of a once quite highly rated player at an SPL Club who progressed through the club's youth system from age 10.

Understandably many posters think the boy should stay and learn his trade with us, but the lure of playing for a top team in the most hyped league in world football is so tempting. The fear of never getting a similar offer would weigh on the boy's mind and regardless of his ability at the moment there are no guarantees that come 20-21 he would be a regular for Rangers.

As a parent trying to advise this is a completely no win situation at this age. The Premiership is most young boys wet dream now, not turning out for the 'Gers.

The other major factor is that as a parent you know that if your boy signs a 2 or 3 year deal at the likes of Chelsea he should be set for life financially, something I would suggest every parent wants for their kids. Throw in a car and a house (no loan or mortgage) for the parents and I reckon you begin to see why most would say 'yes, sign the contract'.

There is also the agent's influence, if he has one. Unless he or she is a one in a thousand type who genuinely has the boy's interest at heart, they will push for the move as well. Again taking a short term view of making a few quid now rather than waiting 2 or 3 years by which time the boy might not have reached the potential seen in him.

Football is a horrible business and the players are simply commodities who will be jettisoned as soon as a better player can be acquired. This above all is probably the main reason I would tell Billy to sign at Chelsea if I was his father. It really is dog eat dog in the 'beautiful game' and looking after no 1, is sadly, what it's all about nowadays.

WATP

Earl of Leven
27-03-2017, 10:06
Despite seeing his side, I personally don't wish him well...he used us, and should have stayed, played first team, then gone south a better player and with us getting more money.

MoodyBlue1872
27-03-2017, 10:07
No good luck messages from this bear.

As mentioned, we will see him at a Motherwell or a Dundee Utd in a few years. He may have his money, houses and cars, but he will never play for Chelski.

ThePizzaCat
27-03-2017, 10:09
So is this actually confirmed then?

Laudrup1
Good point well made. Only downside for us is if he does turn into a world beater and we could have got Dembele ( sorry ?) level of fee in a few years. From Billy`s point of view can understand him taking the deal on offer rather than wait for 5/6 years.

Far more kids show promise then fade to nothing at 19 than turn in to a £10m player.

This sort of fee for a 15 year old is worth taking.

On a positive, it might encourage more boys to come to us if they feel they could get a move like that and it suits them. It's more money for us which is the aim.

coplandrearl36
Good luck Billy whatever your decision is, a lot of jealousy on here.
The lad has got to think about the here and now, he could suffer a serious injury in his first game, then what.

I will watch with interest how the lad does.
As for Rangers we have £500k to invest at a crucial time.

bilkobear
The years 16 to 21 are the real telling years of a players development.
It is usually difficult to look at 16 year olds and then to predict who will make it to the very top.
Of course there can be exceptions.
But as a rule of thumb, this is fairly constant.

Good luck to the player if he has left to go to Chelsea, .........it is his life....... his career.......his choice.

Football is really just a business now and the organic development of teams that made it so glorious and unpredictable ....and so bluddy damn interesting..... in the past, is now merely a distant memory.
I struggle to care about football outside of Rangers, indeed if it wasn't for my lifelong support of the club....I would be out.

The game at the very top level is bland, and as for international football I don't even follow the scores any longer.......Russia?
Who cares?

david1982
27-03-2017, 10:10
No good luck messages from this bear.

As mentioned, we will see him at a Motherwell or a Dundee Utd in a few years. He may have his money, houses and cars, but he will never play for Chelski.

I actually think the lad and his family probably know that themselves, it will be the chance to earn big money, receive coaching alongside other top class young players and then in 2/3/4 years go and actually start his fist team careeer elsewhere and by that time he has made his money and willl still get 15/20 grand a week in the championship anyway.

Dave Lancaster
27-03-2017, 10:12
So is this actually confirmed then?
If goal.com is confirmation then yes it's a done deal.

wishawcrossblue
27-03-2017, 10:14
Could I offer some thoughts coming from a different angle, speaking as parent of a once quite highly rated player at an SPL Club who progressed through the club's youth system from age 10.

Understandably many posters think the boy should stay and learn his trade with us, but the lure of playing for a top team in the most hyped league in world football is so tempting. The fear of never getting a similar offer would weigh on the boy's mind and regardless of his ability at the moment there are no guarantees that come 20-21 he would be a regular for Rangers.

As a parent trying to advise this is a completely no win situation at this age. The Premiership is most young boys wet dream now, not turning out for the 'Gers.

The other major factor is that as a parent you know that if your boy signs a 2 or 3 year deal at the likes of Chelsea he should be set for life financially, something I would suggest every parent wants for their kids. Throw in a car and a house (no loan or mortgage) for the parents and I reckon you begin to see why most would say 'yes, sign the contract'.

There is also the agent's influence, if he has one. Unless he or she is a one in a thousand type who genuinely has the boy's interest at heart, they will push for the move as well. Again taking a short term view of making a few quid now rather than waiting 2 or 3 years by which time the boy might not have reached the potential seen in him.

Football is a horrible business and the players are simply commodities who will be jettisoned as soon as a better player can be acquired. This above all is probably the main reason I would tell Billy to sign at Chelsea if I was his father. It really is dog eat dog in the 'beautiful game' and looking after no 1, is sadly, what it's all about nowadays.

WATP

Good post Muz.
English clubs are plundering Scottish kids at a younger age now.

Archibald Leitch
27-03-2017, 10:14
Makes you wonder why you spend all the time and money on nurturing these kids only for this to happen.

Maybe cherry picking other clubs 16 year olds is the answer rather than spending time bringing them on from 6 years old.

During the most successful spells in Liverpool's history, they made a conscious decision to buy players in rather than try and raise their own. I think Sammy Lee was the only one at that time who came up through the ranks. Certainly it was before the megacash deals which are prevalent now, but interesting that they went down this route and how well it worked for them.

bertram
27-03-2017, 10:15
There is no comparison between Gilmour and the Rossiter / Doodoo acquisitions.

Gilmour used Rangers and gave the club zilch back in return, Rossiter et al showed good faith and signed terms with the clubs that made them.

Gilmour has used Rangers and ditched our club at the soonest possible juncture.

Wickerman74
27-03-2017, 10:18
People saying he will get nowhere near Chelsea first team, fair enough. Is he likely to get anywhere near ours in next 3 years? Might as well earn his family some coin while he is still learning. Frustrating as it is, we would do the same to another club in a heartbeat.

bertram
27-03-2017, 10:19
Good luck Billy whatever your decision is, a lot of jealousy on here.
The lad has got to think about the here and now, he could suffer a serious injury in his first game, then what.

I will watch with interest how the lad does.
As for Rangers we have £500k to invest at a crucial time.

Jealousy?

Maybe there are people posting on here who are angry that he used Rangers, then ditched the club at the soonest possible just nature.

That isn't jealousy.

kevfromkent
27-03-2017, 10:20

Gilmour used Rangers and gave the club zilch back in return, Rossiter et al showed good faith and signed terms with the clubs that made them.

Hardly, if the report is true, he's just raised half a million quid for us at a time when every penny counts. That can reinvested in the first team squad.

smithyblue1873
27-03-2017, 10:21
My mates boy has come through the youths and will be signing a contract with Rangers soon
He as does his family believe his development will be best served in the Rangers academy
Best of luck to young Billy but sometimes people can't see the woods for the trees

Valley Bluenose
27-03-2017, 10:21

A nice re-wording from the shameful post you had chopped I see.

It could be argued that Gilmour 'gave' Rangers a massive profit on his development costs whilst, for example, Rossiter signed a big-bucks professional deal with Liverpool that eventually probably saw them lose money on him for very little first team return.

If Gilmour becomes a Feruz - as your chopped post was suggesting (in a much harsher way) - then we should be grateful we've got the £500k. There's no guarantee he will go in to become a 'superstar' - though I wish him well.

Quite honestly, your argument doesn't stack up.

Popbear
27-03-2017, 10:23
See Danny Wilson, islam feruz, Jamie Ness etc.
good luck to the guy though, he will be set for life.

Deacon_Frost
27-03-2017, 10:25
If true makes you wonder why the club would even bother with a youth academy

Sutton_Blows_g0ats
27-03-2017, 10:25
Lots of bitterness in our support and towards the lad and this hasn't even been confirmed yet!

bertram
27-03-2017, 10:26
Hardly, if the report is true, he's just raised half a million quid for us at a time when every penny counts. That can reinvested in the first team squad.

I'd have preferred to have seen Rangets given the opportunity to integrate the payer into the first team.

Which of the following options would you prefer, and more importantly which if these two options for you think that Rangers would prefer

up to £500k for Rangers

OR

Bilky Gilmour on a 3 year deal

90minsofmadness
27-03-2017, 10:27
His bank balance will do well. Not so sure his playing career will get the same boost but you never know - they could develop and grow him into a fantastic player but could also just be another player that ends up with a very mediocre career.

Just a shame it's so easy for these clubs to come in and take the best talent.

Like Lukaku or Courtois?

Chelsea may not give young players an opportunity but they certainly know how to develop them.

Dogbert
27-03-2017, 10:28
I'm going to treat this as Internet chatter until something better than an unsubstantiated report on goals.com is used as evidence.

His cousin is IainDurrant10 and always seems one of the better posters on here.

If he's gone for £500k, then so be it, best of luck to the lad and it will hopefully inspire others to continue to sign up for us in the long term.

You can only dwell on the positives of this and we've produced a real starlet at this point in his career.

GBTQ
27-03-2017, 10:28
it probably shows the exact opposite
if we didn't have a good academy, teams like Chelsea wouldn't be looking at our lads

that transfer pays for a lot of Auchenhowie this year

I just to keep it going it makes us nothing long term. We don't get the player as an asset to the first team and we get a minimal fee. It's pointless if your talent just moves on before you get any benefit.

jango
27-03-2017, 10:29
If true makes you wonder why the club would even bother with a youth academy

500k makes it worthwhile,also the family have to look after themselves a bit with the money on offer.
Good luck to the boy.

david1982
27-03-2017, 10:29
I'd have preferred to have seen Rangets given the opportunity to integrate the payer into the first team.

Which of the following options would you prefer, and more importantly which if these two options for you think that Rangers would prefer

up to £500k for Rangers

OR

Bilky Gilmour on a 3 year deal

The richer clubs though don't do business like that they want to identify who they want before a professional contract is signed so that they get the player cheaper and also reduce the competition for his signature.

Barcelona are offering contacts to 5/6 year olds in South America ffs !!!

bertram
27-03-2017, 10:30
A nice re-wording from the shameful post you had chopped I see.

It could be argued that Gilmour 'gave' Rangers a massive profit on his development costs whilst, for example, Rossiter signed a big-bucks professional deal with Liverpool that eventually probably saw them lose money on him for very little first team return.

If Gilmour becomes a Feruz - as your chopped post was suggesting (in a much harsher way) - then we should be grateful we've got the £500k. There's no guarantee he will go in to become a 'superstar' - though I wish him well.

Quite honestly, your argument doesn't stack up.

What part of my argument about the comparisons with Rossiter / Doodoo being flawed doesn't stack up?

bertram
27-03-2017, 10:35
The richer clubs though don't do business like that they want to identify who they want before a professional contract is signed so that they get the player cheaper and also reduce the competition for his signature.

Barcelona are offering contacts to 5/6 year olds in South America ffs !!!

Maybe FIFA / UEFA need to gave a look at the rules regarding youth development / compensation etc.

Herbie53
27-03-2017, 10:36
If the Internet is to be believed and Chelsea at the moment have 40+ players out on loan, Juventus have upwards of 55 out on loan, I'd imagine a few of the other big teams will be on the same kind of boat. These players will be on wages of upwards of 10k a week before they're 20. Teams shouldn't be able to stockpile players like that 40+ players out on loan is a joke, how many of these players are going to make it into chelseas first team? A handful at the absolute most but they've came and cherry picked talent from teams who could benefit from it just to send them out on loan. From a business point of view aye fair enough if they're going to make a profit then that's their angle but in what way is it fair to take talent (and potential transfer fees) from these clubs just to have a catalogue of 40+ players that'll spend years on the false hope of a first team start at a club like Chelsea just to end up being 25 and still being sent out on loan. Chelsea did it before with Feruz from Celtic, took him away from a club that he would of gotten into the first team of should he of stayed but he didn't he was wasted in chelseas youth set up then sent out on loan and has bounced about now to the point where he's at the Celtic Reject Select of Leith or wherever he is now and has openly said in the papers that going to Chelsea at such a young age was the worst thing he did cos it went straight to his head. Money is killing the game and this is a prime example of that

Oleg_Mcnoleg
27-03-2017, 10:37

Disappointing and to be honest apart from the financial side of it it's difficult to understand. Why go to a team who have 40 youngsters already out on loan where he'll most likely never make a first team appearance? Hardly surprising. You go for money and because you have the confidence to back yourself (or at least to reckon you've a chance and it's worth the risk). Apparently Chelsea, Arsenal and a few others have a reputation for looking after their kids so that, even though most won't get near the first team, they're well set up financially and have a strong chance of a decent career.
I'd like to say that the way things operate will have to change and that we can't expect clubs outside the champions league elite with limited resources to put the effort and money into development if the elite sides are going to hoover them up for loose change on their 16th birthday. But I'd be lying. Still, maybe we can get him back when he's cut loose at 20 having spent the previous two years on loan in the lower reaches of the championship.

Danny_1873
27-03-2017, 10:37
Dissapointed but can't blame the lad.

tazzabear
27-03-2017, 10:38
The way youth academies can be plundered by TV money or Wealthy owner clubs these days makes an absolute mockery of even having a youth programme.

I absolutely loathe what UEFA, FIFA and TV have done to our game over a prolonged period.

Don't forget Employment Laws.

wishawcrossblue

We have been doing the above for years.

Top_Cat
Good luck to the kid, I've no ill will towards a 15 year old boy

robocop1690
27-03-2017, 10:39
I would say that if I had the talent I would have never dreamt of leaving the Rangers but thats easy for me to say sitting here as a fan.If the boy and his family think its the best thing for him to do then we can only wish him the best for the future and he has as good a career as possible.At the end of the day we only want our kids to have the best possible life who are we to judge what he has or hasnt done without knowing all the details.

Ter
27-03-2017, 10:41
The guy who wrote the piece for Goal.com has good contacts at Chelsea so sounds like it might be happening if he's published it.

Valley Bluenose
27-03-2017, 10:44
What part of my argument about the comparisons with Rossiter / Doodoo being flawed doesn't stack up?

Do you think that, given their development costs and the likely substantial salary Liverpool paid to budding young 'superstar' Rossiter, the club ended in profit or loss in financial terms? For what was it - 10 first team appearances. That's what doesn't stack up. Did Rossiter rip Liverpool off moreso than Gilmour leaving Rangers by signing a senior contract? Gilmour hasn't 'stitched us up' by leaving at the earliest opportunity as you would put it.

Yes, I'd like to have seen Gilmour stay. He has, by all accounts, great potential. So have many others at Ibrox in the past. Very, very few went on to live up to expectations. He could have stayed and he could have gone the way of many of his predecessors. Or he could be a genuine talent. At this stage it is just potential. No-one truly knows.

If this story is correct we will have done alright out of Gilmour. To wish the lad - he's 15 remember - ill fortune for choosing to continue his development at a club with a far greater reputation than our own for developing talent is a nonsense.

SlinkySinky
27-03-2017, 10:45
Don't forget Employment Laws.

I accept that. Bosman's shadow still looms large over all of this.

However, we really need to find a way of protecting clubs who spend often huge sums nurturing talent, only to see already mega rich clubs hoover them up and often consign them to the future lower division scrap heap.

bertram
27-03-2017, 10:46
Sad, but to be honest no young quality player with genuine ambition will want to kick around Scotland for any period of time.

Maybe Rangers need to have a look at where they invest, if we're destined to lose the unearthed gems it might be more prudent to save money at U16 and below and invest more in scouting / acquiring players that are able to sign co tracts ( 16+ ).

Gilmour wil make £pkenty as is his right but my only concern is Rangers, not players who use the club.

cw3038
27-03-2017, 10:46
Disappointing if true but money talks.

MoodyBlue1872
27-03-2017, 10:47
Maybe Rangers need to have a look at where they invest, if we're destined to lose the unearthed gems it might be more prudent to save money at U16 and below and invest more in scouting / acquiring players that are able to sign co tracts ( 16+ ).

Gilmour wil make £pkenty as is his right but my only concern is Rangers, not players who use the club.

This ^^^^^

Sebo1873
27-03-2017, 10:48
I hope this is not the case. Goal.com being a source though has given me hope.

Main disappointment for me is not seeing him justify his hype and more importantly the fact we may have been robbed of a potential monstrous fee down the line in a couple of years.

bertram
27-03-2017, 10:50
Do you think that, given their development costs and the likely substantial salary Liverpool paid to budding young 'superstar' Rossiter, the club ended in profit or loss in financial terms? For what was it - 10 first team appearances. That's what doesn't stack up. Did Rossiter rip Liverpool off moreso than Gilmour leaving Rangers? Gilmour hasn't 'stitched us up' by leaving at the earliest opportunity as you would put it.

Yes, I'd like to have seen Gilmour stay. He has, by all accounts, great potential. So have many others at Ibrox in the past. Very, very few went on to live up to expectations. He could have stayed and he could have gone the way of many of his predecessors. Or he could be a genuine talent. At this stage it is just potential. No-one truly knows.

If this story is correct we will have done alright out of Gilmour. To wish the lad - he's 15 remember - ill fortune for choosing to continue his development at a club with a far greater reputation than our own for developing talent is a nonsense.

Irrelevant.

Rossiter didn't fućk off at the soonest possible juncture, he signed professional terms and honoured his contract in full.

bearspaw
27-03-2017, 10:52
I would say that if I had the talent I would have never dreamt of leaving the Rangers but thats easy for me to say sitting here as a fan.If the boy and his family think its the best thing for him to do then we can only wish him the best for the future and he has as good a career as possible.At the end of the day we only want our kids to have the best possible life who are we to judge what he has or hasnt done without knowing all the details.

If we are living in fantasy land, if I had the talent (Pogba type talent) I'd go like a shot, make £20m by my 25th birthday and play the rest of my career for Rangers on £1000 a week.

bornabluenose
27-03-2017, 10:53
It's a dilemma alright , growing your own has become a minefield .

I happen to believe in a strong youth development system ,but it becomes hard to argue for when your best prospects are cherry picked by the uber rich.

This boy does seem exceptional though and if his head is turned who can blame him .

But it's a stark reminder of how the game has become totally dominated by cash rich clubs.

permatan
27-03-2017, 10:54
I hope this is not the case. Goal.com being a source though has given me hope.

Main disappointment for me is not seeing him justify his hype and more importantly the fact we may have been robbed of a potential monstrous fee down the line in a couple of years.

That's the part that makes me sick. Not the fact that he's decided to jump ship, but that we could have received 10 times the fee in 3/4 years.

MoodyBlue1872
Chasing the money at such a early age is a worry.

He would have earned good money at Rangers - massive money for someone of his age. He wouldn't exactly have been skimping on beans on toast and living in a caravan ! But if he is off, then it's clear that money is the motivator. At 15 that is wrong IMO.

Valley Bluenose
Irrelevant.

Rossiter didn't fućk off at the soonest possible juncture, he signed professional terms and honoured his contract in full.

No - your whole argument was/is based around the fact that the 'honourable' thing to do was to sign a professional contract as that brought the club more benefit. You cited Rossiter (and Dodoo) as examples.

I've pointed out that the flaw in that argument - that it brings the Club more benefit - is that in the case of Rossiter (and probably Dodoo) their former clubs DID NOT benefit, either financially or in first team playing terms, from them signing professional deals, they eventually lost out.

david1982
27-03-2017, 10:55
Maybe FIFA / UEFA need to gave a look at the rules regarding youth development / compensation etc.

The richest clubs call the shots now, that ship has sailed long ago.

RussianMac
27-03-2017, 10:55

This. Too many on here writing the boy off because he's leaving. Whereas the same people would no doubt tout him for the very top level if he'd stayed. If he does go to Chelsea and ends up going out on loan, you can rest assured he'll still be playing at a better level than our shambles of a development league.

Good luck to him.

mreblue
27-03-2017, 10:56
He could get injured and have no career which can be short lived anyway. There are no guarantees in life in general and less in football.

If he gets big bucks now from Chelsea he is set up for life. I would advise my son to do the same, what parent wouldn't.

Hope we have a sell on (if possible) and he has a good career if he does leave Rangers.

Bigmother
27-03-2017, 10:56
If the Internet is to be believed and Chelsea at the moment have 40+ players out on loan, Juventus have upwards of 55 out on loan, I'd imagine a few of the other big teams will be on the same kind of boat. These players will be on wages of upwards of 10k a week before they're 20. Teams shouldn't be able to stockpile players like that 40+ players out on loan is a joke, how many of these players are going to make it into chelseas first team? A handful at the absolute most but they've came and cherry picked talent from teams who could benefit from it just to send them out on loan. From a business point of view aye fair enough if they're going to make a profit then that's their angle but in what way is it fair to take talent (and potential transfer fees) from these clubs just to have a catalogue of 40+ players that'll spend years on the false hope of a first team start at a club like Chelsea just to end up being 25 and still being sent out on loan. Chelsea did it before with Feruz from Celtic, took him away from a club that he would of gotten into the first team of should he of stayed but he didn't he was wasted in chelseas youth set up then sent out on loan and has bounced about now to the point where he's at the Celtic Reject Select of Leith or wherever he is now and has openly said in the papers that going to Chelsea at such a young age was the worst thing he did cos it went straight to his head. Money is killing the game and this is a prime example of that
Chelsea and others make a lot of money stockpiling players . They loan them out and eventually sell those who don't make it. The system isn't going to change anytime soon.

eastenclosure4life
27-03-2017, 10:57
If true i neither wish him luck or ill will he just becomes irrelevant. I support Rangers and the people who want to be here we have lost bigger and better. My opinion is if he was going to move on then he should have chose better Chelsea have not produced anyone for there own first team since Terry I have never seen a club treat young players in the manner Chelsea do there simply just a number the amount of loans there players end up on cant be good for them long term it must damage your confidence.

texas_pedro
27-03-2017, 10:59
People saying he used rangers and left us with **** all are coming across a bit thick and bitter.

He's a 15 yr old boy with what seems the world at his feet. He's not used us at all - yeah, we've helped develop his talent but we've also recouped 500k on a 15 yr old. Mental money for what is only potential. Half our first team wouldnt bring in that amount!

And it's been said several times, but we have done this within Scotland for years and years, allowing smaller teams to find players at young age and then offer them the world at 16 to come to us. And due to the way Scottish fees are worked out these clubs wouldn't get anywhere near 500k.

It's a two way street.

fothyman
27-03-2017, 11:00
Disappointing if true, he was developing here and had the first team in sight. He will become a far richer player but he won't get close to a game at chelsea and will no doubt be on loan for the next 5/8 years before being sold.

bornabluenose
27-03-2017, 11:01
If true i neither wish him luck or ill will he just becomes irrelevant. I support Rangers and the people who want to be here we have lost bigger and better. My opinion is if he was going to move on then he should have chose better Chelsea have not produced anyone for there own first team since Terry I have never seen a club treat young players in the manner Chelsea do there simply just a number the amount of loans there players end up on cant be good for them long term it must damage your confidence.It's not been confirmed but if true, the most galling thing for me is that he will have to be more than exceptional to get a sniff of the Chelsea first team dressing room on a match day.

This is a punt for them ,a punt they take many many times over and can afford to lose out on .

It's much bigger than that for us these days, sad but true.

M@x
27-03-2017, 11:04
Chasing the money at such a early age is a worry.

He would have earned good money at Rangers - massive money for someone of his age. He wouldn't exactly have been skimping on beans on toast and living in a caravan ! But if he is off, then it's clear that money is the motivator. At 15 that is wrong IMO.

But according to you he's only going to be good enough for Motherwell or Dundee utd

ian-rfc
27-03-2017, 11:04
If true £500k is a lot of money for a 15 year old!, I don't think it would be a good move for his development, however the way Scotland/Scottish football is being run/ruined I wouldn't blame the lad for wanting out of it!

bertram
27-03-2017, 11:06
No - your whole argument was/is based around the fact that the 'honourable' thing to do was to sign a professional contract as that brought the club more benefit. You cited Rossiter (and Dodoo) as examples.

I've pointed out that the flaw in that argument - that it brings the Club more benefit - is that in the case of Rossiter (and probably Dodoo) their former clubs DID NOT benefit, either financially or in first team playing terms, from them signing professional deals, they eventually lost out.

i'm not actually having an argument, I'm a Rangers supporter and I am píssed off that we've nurtured a player who, assuming g that the rumours are true, ditched Rangers at the soonest possible point available.

Employment law ensures that he's entitled to act however he sees fit, doesn't mean that I need to like it.

As I said before there's no comparison between Rossiter / Doodoo and Gilmour, Rossiter / Doodoo signed professional terms with the clubs that nurtured their talent, Gilmour didn't ( assuming the rumours are true )

MoodyBlue1872
27-03-2017, 11:07
But according to you he's only going to be good enough for Motherwell or Dundee utd

yes - that's my prediction where he will end up in a few years. He may shine now, but history shows us that most young players fail to go on and develop their talent.

James Clark
27-03-2017, 11:07
Disappointing if true, but sadly this is where we are in the grand scheme of things.

mcallion
27-03-2017, 11:08
Irrelevant.

That last line -gilmout doesn't have a contract with is so it's incorrect.

I think the coaching set up at Chelsea will be steets ahead of ours, I could understand this decision even on a non financial basis.

If he ducks up at Chelsea, the lower league EPL/efl will still make a good career for him

**** up with us and he's at Hamilton on £1000 a week - decent wedge but not compared to England.

He owes us nothing in all honesty, the other side of the coin is how many do we pap out each year saying not good enough - we don't give a duck about them and loyalty isn't a one way street

M@x
27-03-2017, 11:09
yes - that's my prediction where he will end up in a few years. He may shine now, but history shows us that most young players fail to go on and develop their talent.

So how would he be good enough for us now if in a couple of years he's only good enough for dross like motherwell?

TPB90
27-03-2017, 11:09
I'm sure FIFA are looking into imposing sanctions on teams that stockpile young players.

It seems to be working pretty well for Chelsea. They got a ridiculous fee for Bamford recently who hadn't kicked a ball for their first team.

Bestie-Bear
27-03-2017, 11:11
Can someone not just get the poster Ian Durrant (Apparent relative) to confirm or deny the story before this goes to a 20 pager slagigng the lad off when he;ll probably end up staying and it turns out its just paper talk

dmgers
27-03-2017, 11:12
Hope he fails anyone who turns his back on Rangers f..k them.

CaliforniaExile
27-03-2017, 11:12
Modern football is thoroughly depressing.

Kirbys House
27-03-2017, 11:13

So we get £500k now, he goes to Chelsea then in a few years flops & joins a Motherwell.

Or we get nothing, stays with us then in a few years flops & joins a Motherwell - for no fee.

Why are you then annoyed at him for doing the former (if it's true)?

eastenclosure4life
27-03-2017, 11:14
It's not been confirmed but if true, the most galling thing for me is that he will have to be more than exceptional to get a sniff of the Chelsea first team dressing room on a match day.

This is a punt for them ,a punt they take many many times over and can afford to lose out on .

It's much bigger than that for us these days, sad but true.

That is what saddens me the fact that a club with monster money can just change a kids life in a second its not right at 15 you should not be treated like an investment he will just be 1 of many on a conveyor belt down there ware if it doesn't work who cares that is pocket change to them. Although i do respect the fact he is backing his talent i just feel Chelsea is the wrong club there has never been a better time to be a talented youngster at Rangers. I have not seen much of our young players Gilmour included but read a lot about it and apparently we have a real good crop coming through and that excites me we must turn them into 1st teamers its our best chance of success so its disappointing if the better ones leave i just fear others might follow his example.

YorkshireBlue
27-03-2017, 11:14
Another indictment of Scottish Football and it's backward mentality holding us back.

I don't blame the lad for wanting to seek development outwith the diseased mindset of Scotland. Only surprise is that he's gone to Chelsea and not somewhere like Spain, Italy or Germany.

If I had his talent at 15 I'd be wanting a move abroad.

fourbus
27-03-2017, 11:15
Hope he fails anyone who turns his back on Rangers f..k them.

I despair I really do, is this what we have become.

rocksteady
Youth development (actually any sort of development) takes a lot in and produces very little. at each stage the weaker players are filtered and only a few actually progress to being players. Its ok to say that 500k is a good return, but this is for the cream of the crop. Most we get nothing for. so if the collective output of the academy is 500k a year then you have to think its a waste of time to school players and then see the good ones leave.

The big clubs are using a bigger set of better candidates in order to unearth the once in a generation gems. Most of those who make it will be sold off for a profit like Bamford etc. only one every few seasons will make it to the first team of one of the top 6 teams.

For Billy, he has just made it through the walk up audition for xfactor. nothing more.
Its wrong for people to want him to fall flat on is face. He is doing hte best for his family. its just a measure of where we are. football has changed more in the last 20 years than it did in all the time before. all sports are going through the same transformations now. TV and sponsorship money have made Rangers minnows in the world game and fans are having a hard time accepting this.

sandbear
If he was a first team superstar who moved and we got less than we think he was worth I would be peeved but this is a boy who hasn't played for the first team and would be unlikely to do so for a couple of years.
As for his career, it's his choice hope for his sake he has made the right one , only time will tell.

eastenclosure4life
Can someone not just get the poster Ian Durrant (Apparent relative) to confirm or deny the story before this goes to a 20 pager slagigng the lad off when he;ll probably end up staying and it turns out its just paper talk

The fellow is quite quick usually on these threads maybe his silence says it all

sparkafag
27-03-2017, 11:16
There is very little to be gained by playing in Scottish Football.

Everyone accepts to a man the standards are crap, the coaching is generally crap, the regression of idea re how the game should be played in this country is crap.

He will develop more playing in England, Spain, Holland being coached by better coaches, playing around better players.

No one is going to kick around in Scotland long once they have the chance to leave.

aldo78
The fellow is quite quick usually on these threads maybe his silence says it all

That's my thinking

davyloyal
Those saying £500k is good money need to deduct how much has been spent devoloping him from that figure to get a true picture of the profit made.

Northampton_loyalist
Irrelevant.

Picking up a healthy wage and getting Liverpool less than half of the fee for Gilmour....

Valley's point is absolutely correct.

Northampton_loyalist
27-03-2017, 11:18
Those saying £500k is good money need to deduct how much has been spent devoloping him from that figure to get a true picture of the profit made.
The entire youth budget, divided by the total number of players at all age groups during the period he was with us is what his development cost. It will be a fraction of 500k

MoodyBlue1872
So we get £500k now, he goes to Chelsea then in a few years flops & joins a Motherwell.

Or we get nothing, stays with us then in a few years flops & joins a Motherwell - for no fee.

Why are you then annoyed at him for doing the former (if it's true)?

My point is for him - and any other player at 15 who decides to do the same. 'Setting himself up for life' now by joining Chelski - where do you think that lad's hunger for football will go ?? Large chunks of it will completely disappear. He'll be loaned out to several clubs and have no belonging and slowly drift along and end up at a much lesser club in an environment that is a big step down and a step down that the player will not be motivated by. Seen it a million times.

By staying at Ranger he could have developed and had some sight of first team football, got decent money and retained his hunger and desire - to then move on at an appropriate time in his career. When money is THE motivation for someone so young, it will hardly be a surprise when things don't turn out too rosy in terms of his football career and development.

M@x
The bitterness and almost hatred towards a young boy at 15 on here is shocking.

copeland road
27-03-2017, 11:19
These threads are crazy

The boy is only 15
People posting some outrages stuff
Also lots of sense getting posted

He won't be leaving for the money ,this kid believes in his ability

He's been in an around the first team,training an cup squads

Let's remember the fee
Is great for a 15 year olds potential

An going down south is a massive step up at his age group
Massive pools of really good players
It's a great move both for development an eventual financial gain
He be daft to stay

david1982
27-03-2017, 11:21
The bitterness and almost hatred towards a young boy at 15 on here is shocking.

I think a lot of fans had high hopes we could see a genuine prospect come through the system, BG is also a Rangers supporter which further appeals.

Its frustration, its a bit understandable but unfortunately even for a worldwide club like ours we can't compete with kid on big clubs bank rolled by SKY TV, Russian Oligarchs and Arab billionaires.

tkmcg
27-03-2017, 11:22
Very disappointing if true but a sign of the times,There is that much money in English football the can afford to give youngsters mega money just in case they improve to a decent level.

bertram
27-03-2017, 11:22
Picking up a healthy wage and getting Liverpool less than half of the fee for Gilmour....

Valley's point is absolutely correct.

No it isn't.

No point in arguing with you, Rossiter signed the contract offered by the club that nurtured him Gilmour ( assuming the rumours are true didn't ).

It is that simple.

david1982
27-03-2017, 11:25
These threads are crazy

The boy is only 15

Let's remember the fee

He be daft to stay

Sorry buddy but I can't buy that.

As I mentioned further up the thread far better prospects than BG have went to Chelsea and been shipped out all over the shop never having even trained with the first team probably let alone get a sniff of a game. Your not telling me BG would go to Chelsea if he were on the same money as he is at Rangers currently........

I suspect he does believe in his ability but the main attraction will be the money and who can blame him.

bornabluenose
27-03-2017, 11:26
Just to be clear, there should be no animosity shown toward the boy, the lights of the premiership shine bright, even brighter when you are his age.

I won't blame him at all if he leaves .

It stinks but that's life.

Beattie
27-03-2017, 11:27

His last activity was 9 hours ago so chances are he hasn't been on. Give it time. And if he doesn't feel he needs to/wants to talk about it then so be it.

david1982
27-03-2017, 11:28
Very disappointing if true but a sign of the times,There is that much money in English football the can afford to give youngsters mega money just in case they improve to a decent level.

For every 20 players Chelsea sign in BG situation if they get 1 that cracks it it's job done as far as they are concerned. The rest of them will be shipped out on loan then released or will be sold if anyone enquires.

Plus even at that rate of signing them and then relasing/selling them I would bet they still cover the cost of their academy and more.

copeland road
27-03-2017, 11:29

As I mentioned further up the thread far better prospects than BG have went to Chelsea and been shipped out all over the shop never having even trained with the first team probably let alone get a sniff of a game. Your not telling me BG would go to Chelsea if he were on the same money as he is at Rangers currently........

I suspect he does believe in his ability but the main attraction will be the money and who can blame him.

Up to you mate an your opinion on it
That's my view if he does go down south
I think it will be mainly to try an play at the highest level
Money is a bonus
He's only 15
He won't be thinking money just now
Just fitba

bertram
27-03-2017, 11:29

I totalky get why people who know / know of the kid will view his move through rose tinted spectacles, to a lot of normal Rangers supporters it will be viewed differently. ie if Rangers offered a better package he'd have signed for us.

Northampton_loyalist
27-03-2017, 11:30
No it isn't.

No point in arguing with you, Rossiter signed the contract offered by the club that nurtured him Gilmour ( assuming the rumours are true didn't ).

It is that simple.
There is no argument to be had. Rangers are receiving more than double the amount Liverpool received, have paid out zero on wages and Rossiter played only 10 or so first team games. To even try and argue that Rossiter did Liverpool a turn/the 'right thing' while Gilmour is somehow shafting us is absolutely bizarre.

He is a 15 year old kid being offered a chance to set himself and his family up financially while training at a club that very regularly produces players for top sides in Europe. We will have offered him youth terms and a chance to follow in the footsteps of Jamie Ness.

This idea that he somehow owes us is mental, it is mental before you look at the fact we will recover a full eighth of our first team outlay off the back of him.

helicopter-sunday
27-03-2017, 11:30
I cannot blame him for moving to Chelsea. It's sad but good luck to him.

I just hope we have a % sell on clause put in, where we make money if they sell him for a crazy price in 5 or 6 years.

sh3lldon
27-03-2017, 11:33

no issues with the kid leaving or axe to grind but he will be leaving for the money, if him and his team truly believed in the ability it would be easy enough to stay and develop more and actually play the game, all going well he could be playing pro football at top level in scotland in a year he has no chance down south.

but the set for life is will be far from it the lad might get 3 - 4 years he could easily have a horrible injury tomorrow and the game is finished for him so he must sieze what will be a massive financial boost while he can.

I just hope it is the kid who has made the decision and him alone, if he is being offered the money banded about with the perks then he will need to grow up very quick so he has to be his own person

If he does go and this is true good luck to him

I believe in a few years if not already we will see a situation where larger clubs academies are seen to be detrimental to players development, game time is critical and at a level that tests them, 3-4 years playing with us would be a fantastic "apprenticeship" in the game allowing young players then to move south and probably command more money

bluenosewrx
27-03-2017, 11:33
good luck to him

bertram
27-03-2017, 11:34
Up to you mate an your opinion on it
That's my view if he does go down south
I think it will be mainly to try an play at the highest level
Money is a bonus
He's only 15
He won't be thinking money just now
Just fitba

How many players have debuted then gone on to feature for Chelsea since Abramovich bought them?

I can only think of one

kingburkeysontheball
27-03-2017, 11:35
There is a lot of people getting worked up over this on here due to a report from a source that I have never heard of.

If it was true then im sure there would be something from Rangers/ sky sports/ the sun/ record ect.

david1982
27-03-2017, 11:37
I totalky get why people who know / know of the kid will view his move through rose tinted spectacles, to a lot of normal Rangers supporters it will be viewed differently. ie if Rangers offered a better package he'd have signed for us.

Rangers probably did offer him a good package to sign at 16 I do not doubt that at all, Chelsea however can blow anything we offer out the water financially.

The only thing we could offer was probably a much better chance of first team football, maybe the lad felt that the football even in their youth/reserve system was still more beneficial to him in his development. Who knows.

sh3lldon
27-03-2017, 11:37
There is a lot of people getting worked up over this on here due to a report from a source that I have never heard of.

If it was true then im sure there would be something from Rangers/ sky sports/ the sun/ record ect.

there will be not any official word until the summer when he can be signed by them and he actually leaves the club due to his age I would imagine, I would also suggest Goal wouldn't report on him at 15 unless a very good source had been used

bertram
27-03-2017, 11:38
There is no argument to be had. Rangers are receiving more than double the amount Liverpool received, have paid out zero on wages and Rossiter played only 10 or so first team games. To even try and argue that Rossiter did Liverpool a turn/the 'right thing' while Gilmour is somehow shafting us is absolutely bizarre.

He is a 15 year old kid being offered a chance to set himself and his family up financially while training at a club that very regularly produces players for top sides in Europe. We will have offered him youth terms and a chance to follow in the footsteps of Jamie Ness.

This idea that he somehow owes us is mental, it is mental before you look at the fact we will recover a full eighth of our first team outlay off the back of him.

Nah, you're deliberately ignoring my point of view, no point in continuing the discussion.

Parade_Bear
Would be sad to see him go if true. Surely being involved with the first team squad recently and knowing theres a possibility of making your debut sooner rather than later would make you want to stay and get some first team action. But best of luck to him whatever he chooses.

macsloyal
I don't know much about the lad but I would be astounded if Scotland has produced a player capable of potentially making it at a club like Chelsea. I would be advising him to stay and get a good first team grounding at Rangers, but then it's easy for me to say.

MoodyBlue1872

Sky aren't necessarily going to pick up on this for a 15 year old who has never played a first team game.

Kirbys House
27-03-2017, 11:40
My point is for him - and any other player at 15 who decides to do the same. 'Setting himself up for life' now by joining Chelski - where do you think that lad's hunger for football will go ?? Large chunks of it will completely disappear. He'll be loaned out to several clubs and have no belonging and slowly drift along and end up at a much lesser club in an environment that is a big step down and a step down that the player will not be motivated by. Seen it a million times.

By staying at Ranger he could have developed and had some sight of first team football, got decent money and retained his hunger and desire - to then move on at an appropriate time in his career. When money is THE motivation for someone so young, it will hardly be a surprise when things don't turn out too rosy in terms of his football career and development.

The first paragraph is total assumption and can be ignored.

I don't get the sudden urge to turn on him. Others (probably including yourself) were excited to see him get a taste of first team action before the end of the season but now this story, from goal.com, has seen him written off. Quite sad.

SouthSideBlueNose
27-03-2017, 11:41
Professionally it's a terrible move for him. There's enough similar instances out there that show these moves rarely go well for the player professionally.

Financially it will probably set him up for life in the long term.

The view i take is (going by reviews) he would of made it into our first team in the next year or so and progressed further as a player because of it. That in turn would earn him a better contract and basically set himself up for life. Then as he progresses he would move on to a higher level when it was right for him.

No hard feelings against the boy just think it's a silly move.

hull blue nose
27-03-2017, 11:41
You can only wish the young lad the best for his future if he is off its dissapointing but it's unfortunately where we are just now the EPL or any big league in Europe is a much bigger pull than this backwater don't buy into he used us ffs he's a 15 year old boy I have a son the same age and it's worrying and bordering on disgusting some of the replies about this young lad deary me keep it in check remember it's a wean your talking about I know how I would feel if adults were talking about my boy the way some people are going on about him I would be livid so ease it up a bit

Northampton_loyalist
27-03-2017, 11:42
Nah, you're deliberately ignoring my point of view, no point in continuing the discussion.

I'm not ignoring it at all. Your point is that Rossiter signed the terms he was offered and it looks like Gilmour won't, and you are stating that it makes Gilmour a bad person. Me pointing out the lunacy of that point, on all levels, is not a personal dig, or ignoring your point, it is pointing out that it is bat shit mental.

MoodyBlue1872
27-03-2017, 11:43
The first paragraph is total assumption and can be ignored.

I don't get the sudden urge to turn on him. Others (probably including yourself) were excited to see him get a taste of first team action before the end of the season but now this story, from goal.com, has seen him written off. Quite sad.

People are not 'turning on him'. It's simply pointing out that this move is purely money driven and the club he has chosen is renowned for stock-piling players, loaning them out them dumping them, with 99% never making a first team appearance. They may get loads of money, but because of that their hunger and desire is diminished, hence why most go on to have a fairly standard football career in lower/lesser leagues. Happens all the time. At 15 it feels a bit young to be driven by the cash. If he really believes in his ability he had plenty of time to develop and make his money.

High Society
27-03-2017, 11:45
This is great news. The Ajax Model is working. We'll soon be rich.

Good old Mr Positive, what would you suggest the club do to keep the likes of Billy Gilmour?

Moodymann
27-03-2017, 11:45

WATP

Hard to really disagree with this, it's a very practical outlook and a realistic assessment.

The reality is there is no longer any Scottish club around that can persuade any young prospect to stay when an EPL side comes knocking.

Ozbarcode
27-03-2017, 11:48
Very disappointing to be honest. He should sign a 2 year deal, make the breakthrough with us and then get his big money move. Where he is going will see him whored around the loan system like a bit of meat. He make make good money but he will never be able to say 'I played for the Rangers'.

MoodyBlue1872
27-03-2017, 11:48
What do we reckon his weekly wage at Chelski will be ?

redbrick
27-03-2017, 11:51
from The Daily Express

The report says Chelsea have agreed a £500,000 fee with Rangers for the exciting young talent.

He reportedly visited the Premier League club's Cobham training complex and was convinced to sign for the Blues.

Gilmour is currently too young to make the move but will link up with his new club once he turns 16 on June 11.

bertram
27-03-2017, 11:52
I'm not ignoring it at all. Your point is that Rossiter signed the terms he was offered and it looks like Gilmour won't, and you are stating that it makes Gilmour a bad person. Me pointing out the lunacy of that point, on all levels, is not a personal dig, or ignoring your point, it is pointing out that it is bat shit mental.

If you need to revert to making shít up maybe you should chuck it.

david1982
27-03-2017, 11:52
What do we reckon his weekly wage at Chelski will be ?

A total guess but I would say probably 10 grand a week, chicken feed to Chelsea.

No doubt other incentives will be dangled like a house, car or whatever.

Kirbys House
27-03-2017, 11:53
People are not 'turning on him'. It's simply pointing out that this move is purely money driven and the club he has chosen is renowned for stock-piling players, loaning them out them dumping them, with 99% never making a first team appearance. They may get loads of money, but because of that their hunger and desire is diminished, hence why most go on to have a fairly standard football career in lower/lesser leagues. Happens all the time. At 15 it feels a bit young to be driven by the cash. If he really believes in his ability he had plenty of time to develop and make his money.

We'll agree to disagree on the specifics of it.

I really hope he stays & develops up here but if he goes, I wish him well.

Northampton_loyalist
27-03-2017, 11:54
If you need to revert to making shít up maybe you should chuck it.

3 times you have said you are not going to get into it. Can't help yourself though :)

MoodyBlue1872
27-03-2017, 11:55
A total guess but I would say probably 10 grand a week, chicken feed to Chelsea.

No doubt other incentives will be dangled like a house, car or whatever.

I think you're probably not far off the mark there to be honest. So, approx £500k a year.

Even if we were to off him half of that, is £250k a year for a 16 year old not enough for him ?? That's what I find disappointing. And is this lad a confirmed 'Rangers fan' ??

Valley Bluenose
27-03-2017, 11:56
Be interesting to hear how those saying it's effectively 'career suicide' signing for Chelsea think he would get on if he strayed at Ibrox.

If we take an arbitrary 10 year period the only youngster I can immediately recall who came through our ranks and went on to do anything at all is the much-derided Danny Wilson. He brought us in a nice wee sum of over £2m when he went to Liverpool and most now think he's crap. Wilson hasn't done too badly out of it - but where are the rest? Ness? McCabe? Fleck? McKay might yet be our 'star' but he was so nearly lost to the game.

Playing for Rangers is a dream for most of us. We see it through fans eyes though - not through the eyes of the player.

Gilmour will make his money and may yet end up playing for Rangers.

We will be more than compensated for his development fee. He owes us nothing - just as the club owes nothing to those we ditch at the drop of a hat. That's the way the business works. If Gilmour had suffered - God forbid - a career-ending injury earlier this season what would we have done for him? Ask yourself that.

I wish him well - be it at Ibrox or elsewhere.

rfb1872
27-03-2017, 11:58
Good luck to the young man. At 15 he's backing himself to have a hell of a career at the top of the game, and if I was a 15 year old and one of the biggest clubs in the world, in the richest league in the world, wanted me, that would be hard to turn down (especially if rumours about helping out the family are true).

Chances are he'll end up at Vitesse Arnhem on loan in 2 or 3 years time, but still I'd rather go on loan to Vitesse and play against PSV and Ajax than go to Raith Rovers for a year.

fallintrueblue1873
27-03-2017, 11:58
Just a quick question. If this is just a development fee and not an actuall transfer then surely we couldn't have a sell on clause attached. So we loose him and if he gets sold on for big money we get nothing extra.

MoodyBlue1872
27-03-2017, 12:01
Just a quick question. If this is just a development fee and not an actuall transfer then surely we couldn't have a sell on clause attached. So we loose him and if he gets sold on for big money we get nothing extra.

Yep - my understanding is that a sell on clause would not be able to be applied in these situations.

RinosPaws
27-03-2017, 12:01
If true we should be asking for a 24 month loan back period

Cant really blame the boy tbh

Valley Bluenose
27-03-2017, 12:02

That's correct.

AnglianBear

Unless Billy demands it as part of his contract.

M@x
I think you're probably not far off the mark there to be honest. So, approx £500k a year.

Even if we were to off him half of that, is £250k a year for a 16 year old not enough for him ?? That's what I find disappointing. And is this lad a confirmed 'Rangers fan' ??

You want to offer 5 grand a week to a guy who'll end up at Motherwell?

tazzabear
27-03-2017, 12:03
These threads are crazy

The boy is only 15

Let's remember the fee

He be daft to stay

Cannot agree with a word of this.
It'll be a quicker path to a premiership club in England if he stayed two years at Rangers and developed here compared to whatever he'll be doing in England, or anywhere else.
Remember, two years is all he can sign for.
Nothing more till he's eighteen, remember McKay.
Two years.

sh3lldon
27-03-2017, 12:09

no we shouldn't he will have been offered a more than fair deal to remain with us if he does not want to then "all the best, goodbye" I would have no interest at all in aiding his development lets develop a lad who is committed to our club and appreciates where he is and the opportunity to progress to first team instead

there have been plenty before him and there will be even more after him lets focus on who actually wants to be here we have some fantastic prospects in the club get him away quickly and lets get these lads playing and developing.

johnny v
27-03-2017, 12:10
While it's hugely disappointing it's not unexpected.

The boy will be set for life whether he makes it or not now which is a huge comfort blanket. Also when faced with paying out maybe 500k a year to someone who won't benefit us in the short term or bring in 500k at a time when we really need it I don't think the board will be too disappointed.

AnglianBear
27-03-2017, 12:10
These threads are crazy

The boy is only 15

Let's remember the fee

He be daft to stay

From what we've seen on Gilmour on the hours of footage on youtube, he has a wee bit more than potential. He'd be going for millions if he was English.

broxijim
27-03-2017, 12:13
How long will the hibs fans need to wait till he goes on loan to them.

bornabluenose
27-03-2017, 12:19

WATPThe reality of it right there.

Have an acquaintance whose son was scouted by Liverpool .

He conveyed to me what you have posted almost word for word .

gtm
27-03-2017, 12:20
Fair enough, the lad clearly believes in his own ability but his chances of making it to the very top of the game are diluted by choosing to start the next stage of his development at a club like Chelsea who have 30 players farmed out on loan every year.

The advice Gilmour recieves at this point is critical. I'm just not sure I'd ever advise a 15 year old to take this route. As others have said, if he's good enough (and I've never seen him play to know), then he could have spent another 18 months here to develop, get some game time and improve.

Just feels like a bit of a waste really....

superger
27-03-2017, 12:26
Good luck to the lad, whatever he does. He'll have a lot of pressure on him already at such a young age.

GaryBolan
27-03-2017, 12:26
People going on about how he can't be a "Rangers fan" clearly don't understand footballers in this day and age, the only loyalty any footballer has nowadays is to money.

You can't blame the lad. If more money is on the table from them than what we can currently offer he's going to take it.

He's got a chance to join a top Premiership side that might never come up again, showing up to training and mixing with the likes of Hazard and Costa is much more exciting to any young boy in Scotland nowadays than training with even our best players.

MoodyBlue1872
27-03-2017, 12:30
People going on about how he can't be a "Rangers fan" clearly don't understand footballers in this day and age, the only loyalty any footballer has nowadays is to money.

You can't blame the lad. If more money is on the table from them than what we can currently offer he's going to take it.

He's got a chance to join a top Premiership side that might never come up again, showing up to training and mixing with the likes of Hazard and Costa is much more exciting to any young boy in Scotland nowadays than training with even our best players.
He'll be nowhere near these guys mate.

dt17
27-03-2017, 12:32
Like Lukaku or Courtois?

Chelsea may not give young players an opportunity but they certainly know how to develop them.

Not sure if serious? Lukaku wasn't deemed good enough and Courtois was already one of the best keepers in the world. Strange post.

tazzabear
27-03-2017, 12:33
Or, just as likely in a 15 year old kid, he could turn out to be Fleck mk3, or snap his cruciate, or his bones could melt. In the real world we can be disappointed that we did not get the chance to see him develop into a first team player with us, but welcome a good bit of unexpected cash that can be invested in the team.

Correct.
Which could all happen just as easily in Chelsea's youth team or on loan at another club.
All it takes then is an admission from all concerned that he'd be leaving for money.
I'd have no problem with that.
However, spare me the ambition etc noise.

godrup99
27-03-2017, 12:36
Some of the stuff posted about this by repeat posters is shameful but not unexpected.

The boy is 15. Get a grip of your lives.

Pep_x
27-03-2017, 12:36
Take the cash for him, if he has plans on moving down south the chances are we would have lost him for a development fee once his initial contract ran out anyway.

We should be concentrating on pushing the likes of Burt into the first team and making sure our 18/19 year olds with potential are signed up for a few years.

Souness86
27-03-2017, 12:37
Good luck to him. Its a short career and the opportunity to earn as much money as possible must be hard to turn down.

Disappointing that we wont get to see him in action but I understand his reasons for leaving. Maybe we can try and get him on loan.

ColonelBlue
27-03-2017, 12:38
Good luck to the lad, seems a good prospect.
Very dependant on his right foot what I have watched of him which is admittedly very little.

Oosy troosers
27-03-2017, 12:38

Why? He's 15 years old.

Take him back on loan for what?

To stick him in the u20's?

As talented as he may be, he's nowhere near ready for 1st team football.

giantchelsea
27-03-2017, 12:39

Players that are good enough to turn pro are only really fans of clubs that their friends and/or family support. They are too busy playing and training to support any particular club. At the end of the day it is their profession and money is an important factor in everyone's career, it's weird that folk think that sports people should be different.

tkmcg
27-03-2017, 12:41
We will never be able to compete with the kind of money Chelski and the likes have,For a young boy to set himself up for life financially is a no brainer good luck to him and a horrible sign of the times for us.

MoodyBlue1872
27-03-2017, 12:42
Players that are good enough to turn pro are only really fans of clubs that their friends and/or family support. They are too busy playing and training to support any particular club. At the end of the day it is their profession and money is an important factor in everyone's career, it's weird that folk think that sports people should be different.

At 15 it feels a bit early to be chasing the money. He'll have all the trappings on his contract at Chelski, but will his motivation/hunger/desire be the same ??

High Society
27-03-2017, 12:42

Or maybe he's at work unable to comment for the moment.....

shotasboots
27-03-2017, 12:44
Cannot agree with a word of this.
It'll be a quicker path to a premiership club in England if he stayed two years at Rangers and developed here compared to whatever he'll be doing in England, or anywhere else.
Remember, two years is all he can sign for.
Nothing more till he's eighteen, remember McKay.
Two years.

We've done pretty much nothing to develop any player and it amazes me that more don't leave earlier.

Staying at rangers guarantees you nothing.

IanDurrant10
27-03-2017, 12:44
Some truly pathetic posts on here about a 15 year old lad

At the moment I'm currently out for my sons first birthday so this is first I know which is why I haven't posted

As far as I'm concerned nothing has changed but I am in contact to see if this is true so will post when I get a reply

This is the 4th similar story in recent weeks

giantchelsea
27-03-2017, 12:46
At 15 it feels a bit early to be chasing the money. He'll have all the trappings, but will his motivation/hunger/desire be the same ??

Football will be Gilmour's profession, everything he does now will have an impact on that career. My local used to be full of guys who passed up their big chance and lived to regret it. You need to believe you can make an impression and go for it, it is too good an opportunity to pass up.

tazzabear
27-03-2017, 12:47

WATP

deleted post

wishawcrossblue
27-03-2017, 12:50
If Billy goes down south he will be first of many in the Academy set up in Scotland to do so.

sparkafag
27-03-2017, 12:51
At 15 it feels a bit early to be chasing the money. He'll have all the trappings on his contract at Chelski, but will his motivation/hunger/desire be the same ??

You are assuming it is money and money alone, better coaching, a higher profile club, a wider net of opportunity will also be involved in it.

It’s partly why there is so much frustration about all of this, and when others depart.

IanDurrant10
27-03-2017, 12:53
This is NOT true

Altogether_now
27-03-2017, 12:53
Some truly pathetic posts on here about a 15 year old lad

At the moment I'm currently out for my sons first birthday so this is first I know which is why I haven't posted

As far as I'm concerned nothing has changed but I am in contact to see if this is true so will post when I get a reply

This is the 4th similar story in recent weeks

Well said mate. If its true I hope the club have a sell on clause if thats possible for a lad not on a proffessional contract

jackdaniels78
27-03-2017, 12:54
Sadly it is the way things are going in football, there is such a gulf now between the top few leagues and everyone else now that teams can't hold onto players to get the fee they deserve while the big clubs sign all young prospects in the hope that one or two come good

Gilmour seems to be real talent, would have preferred him to sign a deal until he is 18 because I genuinely think he would have been playing for our first team next season. He will need to be a very rare exception if he is going to get into the Chelsea first team but good luck to him.

Altogether_now
27-03-2017, 12:55
This is NOT true

Good stuff mate. Do u think he'l sign for us or still exploring his options?

DeeGer10
This is NOT true

As I suspected

Thread Closed and alot of posters to take back what they've said.

Valley Bluenose
This is NOT true

Thank you. A far more reliable source than any other we've seen.

Not to say it wont happen, of course, but today's rumours would appear to be just that - rumours.

SK4

WATP

^^ This all day long ^^

He could sign a new deal at Rangers, get scythed down in a cynical challenge next week and lose his career and then what? Football is a short game, get the cash and financial security and then see what you can make of your career.

Good luck to him. As a father and my boy was lucky enough to be courted by a PL club then he'd be off imho.

jackdaniels78
This is NOT true

Thanks for confirming, I'm sure the speculation will all start again imminently

Boab _spb
27-03-2017, 12:56
Amazing the amount of folk that still take internet/newspaper gossip as gospel

Steven D
27-03-2017, 12:56
Good luck to him if true.

Rangers may or may not be good for his development if he stays here, but if this move is true he's potentially set for life at a young age. I'm sure he has people around him who will ensure he stays grounded.

In all honesty if I was a young player I would maybe struggle to see the benefits of staying in Scotland and even at Rangers.

buster
27-03-2017, 12:57
This is NOT true

http://crappypictures.com/images/old/6a01538f62421f970b0162ffb35b15970d-800wi.jpg

Boogie Man
Let's calm down a bit we don't know if this is true.

DYNAMO_ROSCO
This is NOT true

Great news mate.

Thanks for the update

BordersBear
27-03-2017, 12:59
This is NOT true

Even if it was there seems to be many posters getting their knickers in a twist over something that we cannot control.

At the end of the day it will be up to the boy, his parents and advisors. As someone posted there are pubs full of people who made the wrong decision and have come to regret it.

Unfortunately cash in the bank comes before potential and anyone of us in the same position would probably opt for the more beneficial rather than what might be.

If he is as ambitious as is being made out then he knows he will get his chance somewhere in the game, where does not really matter.

derek5287
27-03-2017, 13:00
Good to see it is not true.

Anybody that cant see why he would do it is mental!

IanDurrant10
27-03-2017, 13:06
The situation is this -

Billy is out of contract in the summer

A host of top European teams have made contact, Chelsea, Arsenal etc

Rangers have allowed Billy to visit a few teams as reported in press

NO formal offers have been made because he is only 15

Billy has not decided but undoubtedly has options

As I've posted before, stuff about sources from parents, contracts at Chelsea with houses etc are all crap

Nothing is agreed

It may happen, but at this moment it hasn't

Rangers are very much in the running, the wee man played on Saturday too in bounce game

As for some of the comments, get a ****ing grip of yourselves