PDA

View Full Version : STV report on champions league changes

silverbear
17-02-2017, 11:22
Was just reading an article on STV app about smaller nations trying to convince UEFA to allow more teams etc etc. The piece waxes lyrical about how great Liewell is but I found the sentence below quite telling:

"Celtic will face four qualifying rounds before making the group stage for the three seasons from 2017/18."

Leaving aside the turmoil we're in I still think that sentence should begin with "The champions of Scotland" or words to that effect......
just another example of how things are reported here I guess!

supergers07
17-02-2017, 11:24
Couldnt care about the conspiracy stuff, but we can't have them in it again next season. 4 rounds of qualifiers but? good.

supergers07
17-02-2017, 11:25
Forgot to say, it also shows that Scotland needs a strong Rangers asap to get that co-efficient back up to scratch.

david1982
17-02-2017, 11:28
Was just reading an article on STV app about smaller nations trying to convince UEFA to allow more teams etc etc. The piece waxes lyrical about how great Liewell is but I found the sentence below quite telling:

"Celtic will face four qualifying rounds before making the group stage for the three seasons from 2017/18."

Leaving aside the turmoil we're in I still think that sentence should begin with "The champions of Scotland" or words to that effect......
just another example of how things are reported here I guess!

2017/2018 will be the qualifiers this summer, nothing about next season which is 2018/2019.

They will win the league this season I don't think any of us can deny that

Andy17x
17-02-2017, 11:29
2017/2018 will be the qualifiers this summer, nothing about next season which is 2018/2019.

Yup. Celtic will be champions this year, fact. Like it or not.

Laudrup1
17-02-2017, 11:31

but it says "for the three seasons from..." as if they've won those subsequent leagues too already.

The OP is right.

It might be a trivial complaint to an extent, or maybe just a case of the writer not engaging the brain...but most likely just someone with the Celtic mindset writing the article and not caring what is written and genuinely showing their contempt for Scottish Football.

Valley Bluenose
17-02-2017, 11:31

Youre not reading it correctly.

rangeral
17-02-2017, 11:39
2017/18 season they enter at CL QR2 as usual and have 3 qualifying rounds to get through to reach the group stage

From 2018/19 season the 2017-18 Scottish Premiership Champions face 4 qualifying rounds as they enter CL QR1

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/AccessList2018.html

cw3038
17-02-2017, 11:39

I don't,horrible rancid club.

okeydokey505
17-02-2017, 11:41
So the mhankies are confirmed by STV as going to be winning the league for the next three seasons.

rangeral
17-02-2017, 11:43
Celtic have lobbied UEFA to expand the Champions League to a 48-team competition.

Chief executive Peter Lawwell flew to Switzerland last week for a meeting with officials, as concerns continue over recent changes to the tournament.

Representatives from Ajax, Anderlecht and PSV Eindhoven also attended to try and head off further moves to alienate clubs from smaller nations.

From 2018 until 2021, sixteen clubs from the top four countries - Spain, Germany, England and Italy - will be guaranteed automatic entry to the group stage.

The amount of qualification spots for the group stage available through the "champions path", which teams from outside of the top 10 European nations participate in, is believed to be reducing from five to three.

Celtic will face four qualifying rounds before making the group stage for the three seasons from 2017/18.

The meeting last week came as UEFA start to plan for how the Champions League is formatted from 2021 until 2024.

With reports that the continent's biggest clubs are pushing for a reduction in numbers from 32 to 24, the group tabled alternative proposals to instead increase participating clubs to 48.

Daddy_Bear07
17-02-2017, 12:00
The amount of qualification spots for the group stage available through the "champions path", which teams from outside of the top 10 European nations participate in, is believed to be reducing from five to three.

The champions path is reducing from five to FOUR.

The non champions path is reducing from five to TWO.

There will be 24 automatic group qualifiers from the top ten ranked countries plus the two holders of the CL and the EL.

beanyrfc
17-02-2017, 12:07
Sounds like Liewell arse is making buttons in regards to coop payments and 35k a week contracts being serviced by uefa in the near future

buster
17-02-2017, 12:19
For a media outlet like STV, that is quite some line to publish.

Without any kind of qualification !!

Can anyone who is on twitter ask Grant Russell about it.
https://twitter.com/STVGrant

motherwellblue
17-02-2017, 14:14
So the mhankies are confirmed by STV as going to be winning the league for the next three seasons.

sad thing is they are probably correct

heresto55
17-02-2017, 15:10
sad thing is they are probably correctGlad I don't sit next to you !

Barca Bear
17-02-2017, 16:53
what have italy done to earn 4 places,
it was only recently they were struggling with their co-efficient

Willieorwont_he
17-02-2017, 16:58
Forget Celtic and the reporting for a minute. This is shite and it will affect us as soon as we get our title back.
Lawell and King should be shoulder to shoulder on these types of issues. Not going to happen i know, but when it comes to lobbying about Europe what benefits us benefits them and vice versa.

rangeral
17-02-2017, 17:00

Well they have done ok in the past couple of season as they are sitting 4th in the coefficient table at the moment and likely stays the same until end of season that is how many places they get under the new format

Daddy_Bear07
17-02-2017, 17:25
As it stands they will move above England into third place next season.

The new format looks like it's saving the EPL a CL spot in a couple of seasons time

silverbear
17-02-2017, 18:15
STV have updated the article and expanded it a bit. In doing so they have now removed the suggestion that Celtic have already won the three titles after this one.

beanyrfc
17-02-2017, 18:32
Forget Celtic and the reporting for a minute. This is shite and it will affect us as soon as we get our title back.
Lawell and King should be shoulder to shoulder on these types of issues. Not going to happen i know, but when it comes to lobbying about Europe what benefits us benefits them and vice versa.

How many games have Scottish clubs won in Europe recently? the top 10 leagues still get automatic entry that should be our FA aim

fraz54herewecome
17-02-2017, 18:55
Hopefully the feckers won't be seeded next season for qualifiers and come up against a decent team that knocks them out

rangeral
17-02-2017, 19:08
Hopefully the feckers won't be seeded next season for qualifiers and come up against a decent team that knocks them out

They still have a decent coefficient of 42.785 means they are seeded

portrushbear
17-02-2017, 20:03

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/ccoef2017.html

Seems to me it's a move to protect the EPL 4th place

With Italian teams doing quite well at the minute and English teams struggling

johnboy85
17-02-2017, 21:57
4 teams from the top 4 countries is complete overkill. the champions league is becoming boring and repetitive for me. Obviously if we were in it then it becomes more interesting but u see the same teams playing each other nearly every year.

jimbo.b
18-02-2017, 12:16
It probably doesn't matter how many qualifying games Celtc face, if they are beaten then I'm pretty sure "an aministrative irregularity" will be found and they'll be reinstated.

When holding up "The Celtc business model" as the paragon the Scottish Mhedia always fail to acknowledge that, but for two teams failure to "cross and dot" Timothy would have been well foxed.