PDA

View Full Version : An Interim Manager Is Not The Answer

The Bridge
13-02-2017, 15:53
I've read with interest all this talk of "someone" to steady the ship whilst we get a longer term replacement. If we wait before appointing a replacement we will have yet another period of rebuilding, a potentially terrible summer window with no targets in place and essentially the same squad minus loan players that we have now. Surely we want whoever the board feels is right at the club now to give them time to sift through the squad and start looking at options in the summer. As a support we've already written this season off, the longer we wait the greater the likelihood of next season being the same.

rfb1872
13-02-2017, 15:56
An interim manager is not the IDEAL answer, but what if we can only get the perfect manager in the summer? Should we appoint a less-suitable manager now, or an interim manager until the best candidate is available?

Not saying that with any information about who will / should be manager either now or in the summer, just a point that interim managers aren't always a bad idea

macdonsj
13-02-2017, 16:01
i think most suggest that an interim manager to work with the current squad
whilst getting the next person ready to come in - they can work in the background on targets, ideas & assess the squad from a distance.

Delboy1962
13-02-2017, 16:05
Maybe just maybe we have identified a manager who is already in a job but can't take over until the end of the season.This manager will by the start of his reign know what player he wants and what players he wants to get rid of,also style of play,formation etc.
I could be horribly wrong of course!.

DavieSnooker
13-02-2017, 16:06
We're not waiting to appoint a new manager.

We're appointing a new head coach after we find our Director of Football.

Completely different to what you've described in the OP.

RFC_Champions
13-02-2017, 16:08
I've read with interest all this talk of "someone" to steady the ship whilst we get a longer term replacement. If we wait before appointing a replacement we will have yet another period of rebuilding, a potentially terrible summer window with no targets in place and essentially the same squad minus loan players that we have now. Surely we want whoever the board feels is right at the club now to give them time to sift through the squad and start looking at options in the summer. As a support we've already written this season off, the longer we wait the greater the likelihood of next season being the same.

What and who is the answer then???

It's easy to say "not this/that....." or "not him"!

adamski
13-02-2017, 16:10

I don't get why people are failing to grasp this. We're changing the structure, and the role of manager at Rangers is shortly to be redundant

RFC_Champions

Completely different to what you've described in the OP.

Has this been confirmed?

Not so sure I'm impressed with the whole DoF idea. It's an argument/bust up waiting to happen IMO.

Sebo1873
Ideally we would appoint someone right now but i wouldn't be against someone taking the job until the the end of the season ONLY if we have someone lined up to take us into next season. Preferably I'd also be saying to the long term manager to use the next few months as a chance to scout players who they may want to try and sign in the summer to strengthen our squad, i don't want someone rushed in over the summer with no strategy in place which results in a wasted window transfer wise.

rfb1872
13-02-2017, 16:21
Has this been confirmed?

Not so sure I'm impressed with the whole DoF idea. It's an argument/bust up waiting to happen IMO.

To be fair there are plenty of examples of it being a successful structure, without bust-ups.

I'm Jason Argonaut
13-02-2017, 16:21
interim manager looks after the team until the summer....I'd hope a director of football is appointed long before then to go about our procurement business quietly in the background.

People moaning about the interim manager situation (...and I'm Eck's biggest critic here) don't get what we're about to do or haven't read King's statement from Saturday.

gp1981
13-02-2017, 16:22
It is the correct course to take imo
Who would take a long term job with us knowing any OF hiding, a slip outside the top 3, a QF cup defeat / A fear of losing - resulting in even more draws a defensive style played resulting in crowds dwindling. Basket case of a scenario that the manager would then have to re-prove himself to the players, fans, board that he is the correct man to take us forward!
It would also put the board in a position that, IF the 3 months are a disaster then we are lumbered with a dead weight!!!

3 months is perfect! to either prove themselves long term and get a reaction from the plyers. As a result this is a win win for Rangers. We can then employ the interim manager longterm safe in the knowledge they have excelled or even if they do excel we stil, have options to employ other top class candidates. So keeps our options open.
If they fail.....then bye bye

RFC_Champions
13-02-2017, 16:33
To be fair there are plenty of examples of it being a successful structure, without bust-ups.

Fair enough mate, this is only my opinion.

How many of those clubs have the pressure and expectation that exists at our club and with our support.

Like most things..., everything's fine until there's a "crisis".

Your Hearts', Southampton's, Fulham's etc are approx 10-15 games away from a crisis at any point in time. The demands of our club/fans mean that a crisis is only 5 games away.

Good players/managers don't necessarily make good rangers players/managers. I often think we underestimate the pressure involve by being part of our club.

Its-Sebo
13-02-2017, 16:33
You will have more options in the summer, it's as simple as that. If we go for interim it makes complete sense.

rfb1872
13-02-2017, 16:41
Fair enough mate, this is only my opinion.

How many of those clubs have the pressure and expectation that exists at our club and with our support.

Like most things..., everything's fine until there's a "crisis".

Your Hearts', Southampton's, Fulham's etc are approx 10-15 games away from a crisis at any point in time. The demands of our club/fans mean that a crisis is only 5 games away.

Good players/managers don't necessarily make good rangers players/managers. I often think we underestimate the pressure involve by being part of our club.

Aye good points. Joey Barton possibly being the best / most recent example of a good player who couldn't be a Rangers player

mpayton15277
13-02-2017, 16:52
Heard Stewart Weir on Talksport suggesting Eck for the rest of the season then moving to a DOF role.

RFC_Champions
13-02-2017, 17:03
Aye good points. Joey Barton possibly being the best / most recent example of a good player who couldn't be a Rangers player

A much as the bold Barton is a cünt, I don't think he was solely at fault. Perhaps the whole situation could've been better handled.... which is something you expect a strong manager to do!

Another debate for another thread though.

jimbear
13-02-2017, 17:27
I tend to agree with the op. I don't think it is fair on either the players or whoever is coming in to know that he (the manager) may not be there beyond the end of the season. It definitely sends a message to all concerned and I was disappointed to hear this morning that the appointment of an interim manager is part of King's plan.

The Royal Standard
13-02-2017, 20:03
This will take as long as it takes , the board need to get this right , if they can get the right man in or put in place the new structure if that's what it's to be then fine ,
However we must not appoint people just now if the better option is there come summer , sure we may need to wait 2-3 months but far better that than rushing in with someone cos he's available now , this would put us back even further

brooklynblue
13-02-2017, 20:06

Who's written off the season? Quarter-finals of the Cup and a fight for 2nd place. A lot of football to be played.

SpongebobSquarePass
13-02-2017, 20:08
We don't need to "steady the ship".

We need to get a forward thinking manager in who will do more than introduce dinosaur tactics.

And I fear that isn't going to happen.

jackdaniels78
13-02-2017, 20:14
Heard Stewart Weir on Talksport suggesting Eck for the rest of the season then moving to a DOF role.

Eck would not remotely be suited to the DOF role, we need someone that can totally rebuild the club

Willieorwont_he
13-02-2017, 20:15
The only way to avoid an interim manager is if the ideal candidate happens to be out of work right now. Can't see it.

TN8
13-02-2017, 20:20
It's all about availability OP, nothing more than that. If Frank de Boer wanted the job tomorrow I doubt we'd be talking about an interim manager.

AvieLoyal
13-02-2017, 20:21
I think an interim manager is the way for us at the moment. We need someone to steady the ship and try and secure 2nd spot-hopefully someone that knows Rangers and the expectations... like Eck
We are now looking at a coaching roll with a DOF I believe, so it's really important we get the right people- take our time and not rush it. We will probably have them identified before next season starts, and I'm sure they in turn will have targets already in mind long before the season kicks off

hawkfalcons
13-02-2017, 22:13
wee tried this with stuart mccall and look how that panned out

billywizz
13-02-2017, 22:21
i think most suggest that an interim manager to work with the current squad
whilst getting the next person ready to come in - they can work in the background on targets, ideas & assess the squad from a distance.

Yep, exactly that, get the appointment correct, and let him work away for a few months

Kathman2
13-02-2017, 22:21
In an ideal world we would be able to appoint our favoured target immediately. This however is not an ideal world and an interim manager is probably the best fit at the moment.

billywizz
13-02-2017, 22:23
We don't need to "steady the ship".

We need to get a forward thinking manager in who will do more than introduce dinosaur tactics.

And I fear that isn't going to happen.

We do, but if that person isn't available right now, then a steady hand for a few months is what we should go for

billywizz
13-02-2017, 22:24
wee tried this with stuart mccall and look how that panned out

No we didn't

The Bridge
14-02-2017, 02:43
Who's written off the season? Quarter-finals of the Cup and a fight for 2nd place. A lot of football to be played.

So you think we can win the SC?

Crown_Defender
14-02-2017, 03:08
So you think we can win the SC?

I know you haven't asked me but I'll answer anyway. Way I see it, we still have the second best squad in the league, so whoever comes in, might just be able to get a bit more out of them. Should it be Mcleish, as is looking increasingly likely, I absolutely expect us to get through the next round.

Who knows from there. On the face of it, it's looking like a Celtic treble is inevitable. One off game, a bit of a galvanised approach to games and you just never know.

God I hope we stop them getting it. The pricks are miles ahead, it really would put a sour note on their season, when you consider two trophies have Been virtually gift-wrapped to them already.

Willieorwont_he
14-02-2017, 03:17
I know you haven't asked me but I'll answer anyway. Way I see it, we still have the second best squad in the league, so whoever comes in, might just be able to get a bit more out of them. Should it be Mcleish, as is looking increasingly likely, I absolutely expect us to get through the next round.

Who knows from there. On the face of it, it's looking like a Celtic treble is inevitable. One off game, a bit of a galvanised approach to games and you just never know.

God I hope we stop them getting it. The pricks are miles ahead, it really would put a sour note on their season, when you consider two trophies have Been virtually gift-wrapped to them already.

Absolutely. And a manager can make a huge change. Like him or not, Brenda has made a huge impact there without adding many players. We destroyed them (even though it took penalties only one team deserved to win that game) with Deila at the helm. Why can't a new manager have the same impact on our players?

Jacrispy
14-02-2017, 03:20
Absolutely. And a manager can make a huge change. Like him or not, Brenda has made a huge impact there without adding many players. We destroyed them (even though it took penalties only one team deserved to win that game) with Deila at the helm. Why can't a new manager have the same impact on our players?

Dildo was a joke though. And the players Brenda has added are very expensive ones. Sinclair is worth more than our whole squad

Willieorwont_he
14-02-2017, 03:34
Dildo was a joke though. And the players Brenda has added are very expensive ones. Sinclair is worth more than our whole squad

I'll give you that, and Dembelee as well but I would struggle to name another player they signed. My point is the majority of that team is the same, yet their record is not even close. A manager can get the best out of players. And in a one off like a cup game we could turn them, and anyone else over.

Crown_Defender
14-02-2017, 03:45

I think his point, is that we have seen a marked improvement to a few of the scum players that were there last season. I'm loathe to give the phuckers any praise, but one thing thats really stood out for me is their fitness levels compared to when we beat them in the semi.

I do still see weakness at the back. Teams will get chances against them (as we did at Ibrox) but you really need to be finding the net as they are undoubtedly a lot stronger going forward and are liable to get goals.

All of this is stating the obvious, I know.

ontheline
14-02-2017, 03:49
Said elsewhere, the managerial sacking season starts soon.
Ranieri and Bilic, just might be available soon, if we hold our nerve.

Jacrispy
14-02-2017, 04:07
I'll give you that, and Dembelee as well but I would struggle to name another player they signed. My point is the majority of that team is the same, yet their record is not even close. A manager can get the best out of players. And in a one off like a cup game we could turn them, and anyone else over.

I take your point, but in my opinion it looks a lot better than it was because Dildo was THAT bad. Honestly, even a semi competent manager would have had us out of the Scottish Cup last season.

Brenda's obviously a much better coach, but on top of that he's spent big so what you've effectively got is a gun fight where we're all armed with water pistols and they've got a assault rifle

pelem
14-02-2017, 04:29
Was it Andy Watson who took training while big eck was in charge in 2004-6.

If so, then eck would be manager and a coach would need to be signed too.

And would FDB be DoF ?. Just asking the questions, not saying it will be.

Delbert
14-02-2017, 09:11

An Interim Manager Is Not The Answer - The definition of interim would mean you're stating the obvious.

Interim manager in now, work in the background to get the right manager in as soon as the season finishes avoiding the issue of a disaster in the transfer window - it doesn't need over complicated.

bob1873
14-02-2017, 12:08

My thoughts entirely.

barrymoped
14-02-2017, 12:11

I wouldn't be horrified at this to be honest, he would certainly steady the ship until the summer. And his vast experience in the game would hopefully mean he would be well suited to a DoF type role.

RFC_Champions
14-02-2017, 12:29
I wouldn't be horrified at this to be honest, he would certainly steady the ship until the summer. And his vast experience in the game would hopefully mean he would be well suited to a DoF type role.

I wouldn't be horrified at Eck steadying the ship until the end of the summer, but I don't think it's a wise move to make him DoF. Square peg in a round hole IMO.

If we go down the DoF route, then I would hope that the candidate is an actual DoF and someone who has experience of the role (Eck is neither), and the head-coach is an actual head-coach who has worked in the environment of a DoF (preferably together).

TPB90
14-02-2017, 12:31
I have no problem with an interim appointment. If the right man isn't available until the summer then so be it but lets find a good appointment to take us to the end of the season and reach our objectives.

SpongebobSquarePass
14-02-2017, 20:45
Eck would not remotely be suited to the DOF role, we need someone that can totally rebuild the club

or indeed the coach role.

melbbear
15-02-2017, 02:25
Only way to go if we can't get our man till end of season. Obviously would be great if we got him right away.

Job No.86/20
15-02-2017, 02:30
I don't get why people are failing to grasp this. We're changing the structure, and the role of manager at Rangers is shortly to be redundant

this is a joke,

DoF??

surely will be the nail in Kings coffin, it will not work

mpayton15277
15-02-2017, 03:21

He made a couple of good points. Eck knows the club and fans expectations so would be a fit as far as that goes. He'll also have contacts in England around the level we'd be doing business. It depends who else was interested in being DoF but I wouldn't write him off for the role.

Gordy61
15-02-2017, 03:57
It`s not maybe ideal but Im happy to go with it if it`s part of a bigger picture.

Jacrispy
15-02-2017, 04:09
I'm still trying to figure out how McLeish is qualified to be DoF

They're supposed to be able to build. The one thing we know about Eck is the longer he's at a club and the more he puts his own system into place the faster it goes tits up