PDA

View Full Version : Met the great Mr Hubbard today.

rfc1952
12-02-2017, 22:53
Just in from the game. Long day for me particularly given what was on view.

However I will cherish the fact that I met and had a long chat today with the legend that is Mr Johnny Hubbard.

We all know how baltic the weather was this afternoon and here was Mr Hubbard walking down PRW - no scarf but immaculately dressed in his shirt and tie (Rangers of course).

Remarked to me that "You may be taller than me but you will never be as big". :D

He then told the story that "he never missed a penalty" and when I mentioned his record of 65 out of 68 (I think) he said he never missed the others "the keeper saved them so I never missed the goals" - I know this might have been his standard retort but to me it was brilliant!

As we walked he took time to speak to any young supporter walking to the game with their Dad/Mum reminding them what it was to support The Rangers and showing them how you should kick the ball when taking a penalty - had to tell some of the adults who they had just met and Mr Hubbard was delighted to have his photo taken.

Forget all the "cool story" remarks - despite my age (auld git loyal) I admit I was like a starry eyed kid meeting one of his heroes.:D

Footnote:- Does any fellow Bear know if Mr Hubbard has to use public transport to get to and home from Ibrox. If I lived in Glasgow I would like to think that I could arrange with others to see that he travels safely to each home game.

GEODGC
12-02-2017, 23:02

However I will cherish the fact that I met and had a long chat today with the legend that is Mr Johnny Hubbard.

We all know how baltic the weather was this afternoon and here was Mr Hubbard walking down PRW - no scarf but immaculately dressed in his shirt and tie (Rangers of course).

Remarked to me that "You may be taller than me but you will never be as big". :D

He then told the story that "he never missed a penalty" and when I mentioned his record of 65 out of 68 (I think) he said he never missed the others "the keeper saved them so I never missed the goals" - I know this might have been his standard retort but to me it was brilliant!

As we walked he took time to speak to any young supporter walking to the game with their Dad/Mum reminding them what it was to support The Rangers and showing them how you should kick the ball when taking a penalty - had to tell some of the adults who they had just met and Mr Hubbard was delighted to have his photo taken.

Forget all the "cool story" remarks - despite my age (auld git loyal) I admit I was like a starry eyed kid meeting one of his heroes.:D

Footnote:- Does any fellow Bear know if Mr Hubbard has to use public transport to get to and home from Ibrox. If I lived in Glasgow I would like to think that I could arrange with others to see that he travels safely to each home game.

I've no idea how he gets to the games, I know he stays in Ayr though. He's an absolute legend in my eyes, his story is fantastic.

truebrit
12-02-2017, 23:09
See him often on the number 9 bus travelling into town after the game.

alastair
12-02-2017, 23:11
John Gilligan took him home from Ross County game last week. Think this is a regular

grailpr
12-02-2017, 23:25
John Gilligan took him home from Ross County game last week. Think this is a regular

Think since JG was appointed to the board he has run Mr Hubbard home from most games.

rfc1952
12-02-2017, 23:36
Think since JG was appointed to the board he has run Mr Hubbard home from most games.

That's great to hear - thanks.

kingwilliam
12-02-2017, 23:42
Lives in the next Street to me ,know him for more than 25 years absolute gentleman.

melbbear
13-02-2017, 01:28

Mr Hubbard was my first Rangers hero. Absolute gentleman. Gets dropped off at wee Rangers club first then he goes to stadium. Sits in directors box .

alister1972
13-02-2017, 03:55
I can always remembering playing the Johnny Hubbard 5 a side tournament at Dam park in Ayr when I was younger

Souness86
13-02-2017, 07:17
Mr Hubbard was my first Rangers hero. Absolute gentleman. Gets dropped off at wee Rangers club first then he goes to stadium. Sits in directors box .

Is this a recent thing as I've seen him sitting not far from where I sit in MFG?

Vincent Blackshadow
13-02-2017, 09:29
He's in the Wee Rangers club fairly often before games. Usually get a few words on the mic from him

womble 3
13-02-2017, 09:58
A gentleman

That is all

blueismycolour
13-02-2017, 13:31
Hi R, Glad you meeting Mr Hubbard made your journey down all the more enjoyable, as the football on the pitch certainly makes it trying at times. We have met Mr Hubbard on a few occasions on our journeys up the road, he always has time for a wee chat, a gentleman and a Ranger through and through.

Rex
13-02-2017, 13:38
I live in Cambuslang but I would be Mr Hubbards chauffeur anytime and anywhere he wanted to go to see the Rangers! More so now having lost his fellow gentleman and pal Billy Simpson.

standardbarger
13-02-2017, 13:43
He used to be in charge of the 5 a side pitches in Ayr met him a few times there an absolute gentleman.

gersin008
13-02-2017, 16:05
Being brought up in Ayr and playing football (not very good one) you always got to meet Hubby and he was a gentleman to everyone and their families. He even played for a wee while with us once at 5s, when someone was late and he was taking the piss out of us despite being, I'm guessing, in his late 50s.

okeydokey505
13-02-2017, 16:13
I have met him a few times walking up towards Bellahouston to get the bus into town then down to Ayr as he gets it free with his bus pass.

A few times his Wife and Daughter have been with him.

gartcoshloyal
13-02-2017, 16:16
Met him before the game with my two sons last week and you could tell how proud he was to still to be wearing the club colours. Shook my boys hands and wished them well. An absolute gentleman who is a great ambassador for our club