PDA

View Full Version : The sun - Rangers want mcleish

Pages : [1] 2

Blue Sea Of Ibrox
11-02-2017, 08:31
That's the headline on twitter. Not shocked if true.

sregnar
11-02-2017, 08:32
Get to ****.

bluestevo
11-02-2017, 08:33
Ffs

Jesus wept

MLF
Only till the end of the season I hope

joe 90
Oh no......

CooperGaz
11-02-2017, 08:34
Terrible if true and a true backwards step

ozbluenose
11-02-2017, 08:34
No way,no thanks.

All of the Lights
11-02-2017, 08:35
Worse case scenario.

Dull, backwards, shirt sited appointment.

Ten Titles Better
11-02-2017, 08:36
FdB is quoted as saying he won't take a job til end of the season, if he is the long term target and I know that's a big if, it makes sense to take someone like Eck for a couple of months.

But only that. No more.

GGTHEBEAR
11-02-2017, 08:37
Please no. Show a bit more imagination.

McCleish can't get a sniff of a decent job in football for love nor money. Our board should surely be asking why.

As underwhelming an appointment as you could think of.

Souness86
11-02-2017, 08:38
I would honestly rather Davies than Eck.

Eck used to absolutely shite himself at the piggery

ca100
11-02-2017, 08:39
It's looking like McLeish til the end of the season

sw26
11-02-2017, 08:39
As a caretaker I don't have a problem with this.

Let's face it there isn't exactly going to be a long line of candidates wanting to take the job for just over 3 months with no little to no chance of it becoming permanent, and the alternative is rushing into a permanent appointment.

gramps1
11-02-2017, 08:40
**** off
Sickening stuff

godrup99
11-02-2017, 08:40
Acceptable if it shores us up til may but only that.

Northampton Lodger
11-02-2017, 08:41
The obvious choice for the next six months. Any long term appointment would have the support on his back within months based on the current squad.

Zigic
11-02-2017, 08:42
Embarrassment if true.

He'd be a hapless appointment. A real sign of the times.

superrangers
11-02-2017, 08:43
Please god no. A backward appointment which will only set us further back. Money must be found to make the right kind of appointment to take us forward.

All of the Lights
11-02-2017, 08:44
And there's already folk posting saying they're happy with it, deary me.

the_ref
11-02-2017, 08:44
I can't imagine the board would be so stupid. We need season ticket money in for next season, and McLeish being anywhere near things would take about 10k off season ticket sales, I would've thought.

DeeGer10
11-02-2017, 08:45
McLeish is short term only.

It's between him and Billy Davies until the Summer then it will be reviewed is my understanding.

gramps1
11-02-2017, 08:46

Fanny at my work last night said he wants Mcleish with Barry Fergusson.

sregnar
11-02-2017, 08:47

It's between him and Billy Davies until the Summer then it will be reviewed is my understanding.

I'd honestly rather have Davies than him until summer.

If true, they need to make the appointment very early in the summer to shift ST plus Europa qualifiers come in June which hopefully we are in

GGTHEBEAR
11-02-2017, 08:48

The 'reviewed' part is the concern.

Opens the door for him to be given the gig full time based on fulfilling certain expectations. So what - if we finish second we get Eck on a 3 year deal with his God awful brand of football and talking utter pish when under pressure again? No thanks.

gramps1
11-02-2017, 08:49

If true, they need to make the appointment very early in the summer to shift ST plus Europa qualifiers come in June which hopefully we are in

If Mcleish is our manager season tickets will take a hit.

The Lone Sniper
11-02-2017, 08:51
A pathetic state if true.

1972 bear
11-02-2017, 08:52
The Sun,as usual, knows f**k all.

Zigic
11-02-2017, 08:52

Agreed.

Be as well line up a guy in the background.

He needs to be signing bosman's now, whilst understanding who else he can attract.

We'll have 4 weeks to get folk in, trained and ready to go come the last week of June.

blueismycolour
11-02-2017, 08:53
Aye, the man with the proven track record since he was last our manager. War chests, Mcleish, this place is going to be very uncomfortable for the next few days.

aldoshmaldo
11-02-2017, 08:54
I respect his efforts for us in the past but I really hope we don't go for eck or Davies.

Sir_Walter1872
11-02-2017, 08:56
I'd be gutted if we went after McLeish. A massive step backwards!

cooprfc
11-02-2017, 08:56
We will appoint a caretaker and it'd be as well being someone like Eck. Gives the board time to get the right man as this appointment is utterly crucial.

Folk need to calm down.

Massive improvement on Warburton anyway.

Cranky
11-02-2017, 08:58
Have we no imagination or forward thinking. I hope this is nonsense or a short term only if true

SonOfBunk
11-02-2017, 08:58
Nice 4-3-3 continuity.

hillviewbear
11-02-2017, 08:59
I can't imagine the board would be so stupid. We need season ticket money in for next season, and McLeish being anywhere near things would take about 10k off season ticket sales, I would've thought.away you go and dont talk pish

AmsterdamBear
11-02-2017, 08:59
In the short term Eck is a decent replacement until the end of the season.

If nothing else he will organise the squad and we will be set up better tactically.

sregnar
11-02-2017, 09:00
away you go and dont talk pish

Probably not 10k but it would certainly take a large amount off

Jannerbear
11-02-2017, 09:02
We need an experienced caretaker manager until the end of the season, somebody that knows Scottish football and can get us a top 3 finish.

I'm confident McLeish can do that, I'd also be happy with Davies for the same reason.

The appointment for the summer is crucial, really hope we can get the De Boers but whoever it is will need substantial funds to once again rebuild this team.

barrheadbear
11-02-2017, 09:03
Please no. Show a bit more imagination.

McCleish can't get a sniff of a decent job in football for love nor money. Our board should surely be asking why.

As underwhelming an appointment as you could think of.

Feel the same, definitely not an appointment that would excite the fans.

I want someone young and forward thinking with fresh ideas to be in our hot seat anything else is a backward step. However if we have to get someone who has been at Ibrox previously then Wattie is the man, he would put the frighteners on those shysters currently masquarading as Rangers players.

dig_out_yer_soul
11-02-2017, 09:05
I wasnt his biggest fan towards the end of his reign but writting off a Rangers manager that won 7 trophies as a dud is just stupid. When McLeish had money to spend we had decent teams, people forgetting his treble season against supposedly the greatest Celtic team since the lions?

Drumchapel-Bear
11-02-2017, 09:05
Why are people even surprised?

weetoonblue
11-02-2017, 09:06
I would prefer Walter Smith with Kenny Miller assisting him but still playing.

If it was Walter then we would know it was only until the summer.

chucknorris
11-02-2017, 09:07
No problem with it if it's till the summer only.

Dadoprso's ponytail9
11-02-2017, 09:09
Worse case scenario.

Dull, backwards, shirt sited appointment.

It was always going to be this kind of appointment

What did people expect?

They wanted rid of warburton but didn't actually think of the reality of what happens next

gramps1
11-02-2017, 09:10
The only people I would want for a 3 month only gig is Walter smith and bomber.
Behind the scenes let the board find a new manager and get to work on who he wants in and out.

Never in a million years happen but I would love hoddle.

Rex
11-02-2017, 09:13
Similar reaction on FF to when we first signed David Weir or brought Kenny Miller back, but you just never know what short term fixes can do.

The thing about McLeish is that he will do exactly as expected. He's not in any ways a managerial "failure" nor one associated with long term success. However, he has always made initial successes, and won trophies with unlikely clubs. He's a Ranger and too nice a person to shaft us. A safe pair of hands and certainly has won more silverware by far than all contestants mentioned.

sw26
The only people I would want for a 3 month only gig is Walter smith and bomber.
Behind the scenes let the board find a new manager and get to work on who he wants in and out.

Never in a million years happen but I would love hoddle.

Glenn Hoddle hasn't managed a football team in over a decade.

Zorg
He cannae be any worse than whats just left!

Dadoprso's ponytail9
We will appoint a caretaker and it'd be as well being someone like Eck. Gives the board time to get the right man as this appointment is utterly crucial.

Folk need to calm down.

Massive improvement on Warburton anyway.

That won't happen

What is more likely is we appoint eck or Davies say it's until the end of the season to appease fans,they come and do ok,results pick up(lets be honest they couldn't not) and they are given the gig full time

SonOfBunk
Hoddle??????

Still up or starting early on the paraffin?

gramps1
11-02-2017, 09:16
Hoddle??????

Still up or starting early on the paraffin?

Ah did say it won't happen.

Zigic
11-02-2017, 09:17
Surely Smith isn't coming out retirement for this shambles?

Hawkins
11-02-2017, 09:17
Our number one goal this season is to finish second.

So let's bring in a guy that managed to secure us third place.

Detective Vic Mackey
11-02-2017, 09:18
This may be sold to us just now as only to the summer but I'd bet a lot of money he gets appointed permanently..

Was posted on here and been mentioned in the media that King originally wanted McLeish until the rest of the board talked him into Warburton... seems he is getting his way now.

Can picture the events now...

McLeish appointed and it's sold to us as just to the end of the season to get us onside...

He brings in Barry Ferguson as his assistant, good Rangers men and all that...

Says the right things and declares he wants the job permanently.... 'I'll prove why I should get it etc etc'

Comes in, changes the formation and gets a reaction from the players...

Performances improve and we make it to 2nd place...

Attitudes toward him appointment soften... he gets positive media coverage as the Scottish media like him a lot better than MW because he actually talks to them...

The board end up giving him the job permanently citing improved performances and meeting his target...

We then endure a few years of him, dreadful signings, horrible football and he is sacked and we are back to square 1.

Just kill me now. If you had told me at the start of the season MW would be gone in February and we would appoint McLeish as his replacement I'd have been suicidal at the thought and now the reality is just as painful. McLeish is a dreadful manager.

A dreadful appointment and exactly what I feared this board would do in a panic.

HMS
11-02-2017, 09:18
McLeish will be manager till the season ends, this has been the contingency plan for a couple of weeks now.

ifu01334
11-02-2017, 09:19
McLeish previous reign was one of 2 halves. First half with the bulk of Advocaat squad. The second half I remember roses fondly - Capucho, Mladenovic, Jeffers, Bernard, and a whole heap of shite.

I don't want a knee jerk replacement and I think we should take a few weeks and try and get someone we believe in who can assess the squad this season and build for next season.

HMS
11-02-2017, 09:20
This may be sold to us just now as only to the summer but I'd bet a lot of money he gets appointed permentely.

Was posted on here and been mentioned in the media that King originally wanted McLeish until the rest of the board talked him into Warburton...

McLeish appointed and it's sold to us as just to the end of the season to get us onside...

He brings in Barry Furguson as his assistant, good Rangers men and all that...

Says the right things and declares he wants the job permanently....

Attitudes toward him appointment soften... he gets positive media coverage as the Scottish media like him a lot better than MW because he actually talks to them...

The board end up giving him the job permanently citing improved performances and meeting his target...

We then endure a few years of him, dreadful signings, horrible football and he is sacked and we are back to square 1.

Just kill me now. If you had told me at the start of the season MW would be gone in February and we would appoint McLeish as his replacement I'd have been suicidal at the thought and now the reality is just as painful. McLeish is a dreadful manager.

You have seen the future and one that I spoke of yesterday if McLeish comes in.

Michael Mols
11-02-2017, 09:22
McLeish would be a safe bet to secure second place in the short term. What worries me is that there's always been rumours that King wanted him as permanent manager.

Dadoprso's ponytail9
11-02-2017, 09:22
This may be sold to us just now as only to the summer but I'd bet a lot of money he gets appointed permentely.

Was posted on here and been mentioned in the media that King originally wanted McLeish until the rest of the board talked him into Warburton...

He brings in Barry Furguson as his assistant, good Rangers men and all that...

Says the right things and declares he wants the job permanently....

This is exactly what I was trying to say,you said it better however,I completely agree that this is what will happen,I can't understand people wanting him brought in

Mad For The Rangers
11-02-2017, 09:27
This may be sold to us just now as only to the summer but I'd bet a lot of money he gets appointed permanently..

Was posted on here and been mentioned in the media that King originally wanted McLeish until the rest of the board talked him into Warburton... seems he is getting his way now.

He brings in Barry Ferguson as his assistant, good Rangers men and all that...

Says the right things and declares he wants the job permanently.... 'I'll prove why I should get it etc etc'

A dreadful appointment and exactly what I feared this board would do in a panic.

You've seen this movie before, haven't you.

Burgh-Ger
11-02-2017, 09:29
A lot of panty wetting here!!
We bring a manager in till the end of the season........
It whats expected

Mad For The Rangers
11-02-2017, 09:32
I'd wager my left nut that Big Eck gets the gig.

On a brighter note he won't be bringing in Andy Watson this time.

cooprfc
11-02-2017, 09:34
Do people forget we did the same with McCall who, even if he got promotion, was getting replaced by Victor Perrera.

I'd rather the board got someone the now to steer us through the rest of this car crash season and got the right man for the summer than take a long term manager just now who turns out wrong.

Mad For The Rangers
It whats expected

But we've ALL seen this movie before.

Why not make an approach now for the man we want longer term?

the vision
I'd like to see Advocaat till the end of the season, would unite the support far more than Eck could and successfully did the role only last year with Sunderland in the EPL.

scooter70
Short term - almost understandable

Long term - no ****ing way

Union Jack 1873
11-02-2017, 09:35
McLeish would steady the ship but I don't know why we can't bring in a permanent appointment lots of good managers looking for work.

Short term he would work but long term would be a disaster.

Gazzer

Don't want either Mcleish or Davis near the club.

Whoever comes in needs to be working on summer recruitment now.

No way can we bring in a temporary manager until the summer or we are writing off next season also.

Graeme_N
No way- he's had his chance!

Dadoprso's ponytail9

This,if we go for eck then it's a backward step for the club

Zigic
It whats expected
With a view he then gets to stay on, I bet.

McLeish would be an awful appointment.

Burgh-Ger
11-02-2017, 09:37
Have we? What movie are you talking about regarding this board?
Perhaps the man they want is not available?
Perhaps they don't know who they want?

Stringer_Bell
11-02-2017, 09:37
I'm afraid this would end me.

rabgrr
11-02-2017, 09:38
McLeish has got every team hes managed relegated

Detective Vic Mackey
11-02-2017, 09:39
Do people forget we did the same with McCall who, even if he got promotion, was getting replaced by Victor Perrera.

I'd rather the board got someone the now to steer us through the rest of this car crash season and got the right man for the summer than take a long term manager just now who turns out wrong.

If McCall had met his target (promotion) that year I'm not convinced he wouldn't have been given the job that year and besides I think back then the board were more willing to take a risk on someone fresh that would excite the fans.

I think McLeish would get us to 2nd and meet his target and I think performances will improve under him (in the short term) and I also think there isn't the same appetite for within the board to take a risk with this appointment after MW going so badly wrong.

McLeish will be sold to us a short term appointment but I'd bet my mortgage he gets a 3 year deal in the summer

CaptainCourageous
11-02-2017, 09:39
Probably best waiting to see who we appoint before getting ourselves all worked up.

Since when do we believe what the rhags print - selective reading.

cooprfc
11-02-2017, 09:40

When have Rangers done this before?

sw26
11-02-2017, 09:40

Depends on how much work (if any) the board had done on identifying a successor prior to this week.

Getting the man they want might take a few weeks to get over the line, and that is assuming whoever it is wants to drop in mid-season to a not particularly great situation on the field where we need results yesterday.

Do we really want Murty taking the team for at least the next few weeks while that happens?

TN8
11-02-2017, 09:41
I don't think we do.

I think the Sun are talking shite, as usual.

Really hope so anyway.

oldgreg

Has he, aye?

Dunn1872
McLeish should be nowhere near Rangers in the short term or long term. An awful manager. I really can't believe the amount of people that have said they want him in.

dh1963
11-02-2017, 09:42
I'd like to see Advocaat till the end of the season, would unite the support far more than Eck could and successfully did the role only last year with Sunderland in the EPL.

He's in a job though. Manager of Fenerbache.

I just hope that this caretaker manager is better than the ones we put in place last time we looked to get to the end of a season and secure second place.

McLeish is experienced, has had success in the past, and crucially is both available and willing. The list who tick those boxes for a temporary job in Scotland is not long.

Likely a really stupid suggestion, but would a rich, but wily old ex manager like Roy Hodgson take it? Who else is out there with big club experience, a decent track record, and would say yes to a 3 month contract??

Gazzer
11-02-2017, 09:43
It whats expected

We need to be rebuilding NOW for next year via bosmans or identifying players.
Do we let Mcleish or Davis do that and be left with additional players the new manager doesn't want.
We should be getting the new manager in now to let him have a look at players we have and PLAN for next season.

Hap Hapablap
11-02-2017, 09:43
Can somebody post that Gif of the guy in the board meeting who jumps out the window?

That guy = me.

Blue Tack
11-02-2017, 09:44
Before the "oh no" gang spout anymore pish more than half of them were the same ones that were coming in their pants over Warburton ( an ex stockbroker ffs ) ,the gushing of Warburton i think got through to the board and they went against DK ,its clear that King didnt trust the management team with any of his cash and was right to distrust them as well ,i will trust King on picking his own man this time ,that way he will be comfortable giving him the funds .

However King must come out an d tell us whats happening ,we need leadership right now and hes nowhere to be seen ,the fans need unity ,we are all over the place and we are getting titbits from fan sources etc ,Dave King where are you

TN8
11-02-2017, 09:45
Depends on how much work (if any) the board had done on identifying a successor prior to this week.

Getting the man they want might take a few weeks to get over the line, and that is assuming whoever it is wants to drop in mid-season to a not particularly great situation on the field where we need results yesterday.

Do we really want Murty taking the team for at least the next few weeks while that happens?

Why not?

If McLeish is the alternative then yes.

Sam_English
11-02-2017, 09:45
Every paper will have a different name linked to the job.

the vision
11-02-2017, 09:47
He's in a job though. Manager of Fenerbache.

I just hope that this caretaker manager is better than the ones we put in place last time we looked to get to the end of a season and secure second place.

McLeish is experienced, has had success in the past, and crucially is both available and willing. The list who tick those boxes for a temporary job in Scotland is not long.

Likely a really stupid suggestion, but would a rich, but wily old ex manager like Roy Hodgson take it? Who else is out there with big club experience, a decent track record, and would say yes to a 3 month contract??

Ah, feck me I thought he'd retired after the Sunderland job!! I revise my Advocaat suggestion!!! Doh!! Apologies!!

Burgh-Ger
11-02-2017, 09:48
We need to be rebuilding NOW for next year via bosmans or identifying players.
Do we let Mcleish or Davis do that and be left with additional players the new manager doesn't want.
We should be getting the new manager in now to let him have a look at players we have and PLAN for next season.

I understand that and I also don't want AM long term however in the boards defence, they need someone in to stable things.
I think we are jumping way ahead of ourselves!
In my opinion, we will see a total restructure of the management including a head of football operations along with a first team coach!

sw26
11-02-2017, 09:49
Why not?

If McLeish is the alternative then yes.

Murty has absolutely zero management experience for starters.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
11-02-2017, 09:51
Call it PTSD but I simply cannot get on board at all with McLeish returning for even three months. I just can't.

Discodale
11-02-2017, 09:51
Dear god no.

We need to look forward at this point, not back in time.

sparkafag
11-02-2017, 09:52
McLeish would be a safe bet to secure second place in the short term. What worries me is that there's always been rumours that King wanted him as permanent manager.

Really? Because he literally had to leave us the last time because we ended the season third.

Rex
11-02-2017, 09:59
I believe McLeish and Rangers may have similar ambitions regarding it being short term.

I can see McLeish taking over the Scotland job after Strachan goes and he will be desperately motivated to do well for Rangers in a short period first.

deus2
11-02-2017, 10:00
Short term though, who can we realistically get?

I always though McLeish was decent at rallying an existing squad of players, but couldn't build a team of his own, and for that he may secure us Europe. Let's face it, is isn't 2nd place that's important now, the European spot is the goal.

Even if he (or Davies) have a 100% record by the end of the season, though, they cannot be the long term answer

Detective Vic Mackey
McLeish should be nowhere near Rangers in the short term or long term. An awful manager. I really can't believe the amount of people that have said they want him in.

I know!! I'm absolutely astonished this message board isn't on fire just now at the meer suggestion of his name, short term or not.

Have people forgotten how bad it was under McLeish towards the end of his tenure?

Remember Hamed Namouchi?!? I remember McLeish used to put him on the left wing in every big game!! Then there was signings like Dragan Mladenović!!!!

Utterly honking.

I can still remember the utter relief I felt when he sacked him the first time and now he's back to haunt me.

F*ck me. Kill me now!!

devilman
McLeish coming in for the rest of the season isn't a bad thing and I have no problem with it. For all these people saying it's a step back - really not sure why.

TheGarageFlower
11-02-2017, 10:01
McLeish will be fine for a few months. Any manager should get that extra 10% from players worried about their future. Might win us a few games too.

Also, strangely Alex McLeish has given me some of the best days being a Rangers fan. The Lovenkrands cup final, qualifying for last 16 of champions league, konterman semi final and a treble.

Having said that I was desperate for him to leave!

supergers07
11-02-2017, 10:04

The Sun have lifted the Eck story from here.

He's the main candidate til the summer

Dunn1872
11-02-2017, 10:05
McLeish coming in for the rest of the season isn't a bad thing and I have no problem with it. For all these people saying it's a step back - really not sure why.

He got his team to finish 3rd in a two horse race. Tactically, he's clueless and he had us playing some of the worst football I've ever seen us play.

Drumchapel-Bear
11-02-2017, 10:06
Call it PTSD but I simply cannot get on board at all with McLeish returning for even three months. I just can't.

It makes no sense to sack Warburton because you don't trust him with money, to replace him with McLeish, one of the worst managers in recent times when it comes to spending money and rebuilding teams.

Virgil Hilts
11-02-2017, 10:07
If this is true it is really backward thinking. If the board were dissatisfied with Warburton and thinking of letting him go, then surely they would have some potential replacements in mind? If Eck is the best they can come up with, a difficult road may lie ahead.

Drumchapel-Bear
11-02-2017, 10:08
Tin hat on. I'd far rather have Davies. I've absolutely no doubt he'd get a reaction out of these players, he's a football obsessive and I actually like the way his teams play football as well.

The thought of Eck genuinely terrifies me.

garyw09
11-02-2017, 10:09
When he was in charge it felt like he never beat Celtic for about 5 years. Eugh.

Zigic
11-02-2017, 10:10
Tin hat on. I'd far rather have Davies. I've absolutely no doubt he'd get a reaction out of these players, he's a football obsessive and I actually like the way his teams play football as well.

The thought of Eck genuinely terrifies me.

Davies is a crack pot.

He's got screws loose.

Never cut out to manage us in this situation.

hagi9uk
11-02-2017, 10:11
Just had a message its to be davies. God knows whats happening. Source is quite reliable as i know who he is and has great contacts at the club but ive not had info from him before. Will wait and see. Monday will be clearer id expect.

the_ref
11-02-2017, 10:11
Short term though, who can we realistically get?

I always though McLeish was decent at rallying an existing squad of players, but couldn't build a team of his own, and for that he may secure us Europe. Let's face it, is isn't 2nd place that's important now, the European spot is the goal.

Even if he (or Davies) have a 100% record by the end of the season, though, they cannot be the long term answer

how about we invite applications and see who is the best candidate, rather than limiting ourselves to looking at our previously manager list?
I despair at our fans sometimes, it's like kids desperate for their comfort blanket. One of my pals said we should get Smith back - I honestly think after Walter Smith is dead there will be folk wanting him dug up to steady the ship whenever we hit a bump.

we might have budget issues, but we are still a big draw to managers, and we should be considering options rather than the falling back to what we know (especially in the case of McLeish, where what we know (after a great initial period with someone else's team) was dreadful, turgid pish, finishing 3rd in a 2 horse race)

silverbear
11-02-2017, 10:12
If the plan is to have a temporary manager until the end of the season and that temporary manager is definitely going to get replaced then in my view (tin hat on) Walter is the man.
He'd have that defence sorted in days. It wouldn't be pretty but we'd get second.
Then at end of season get someone that has long term plans and a desire to take us back to where we belong.
Hate to say but to be fair if it's stop gap manager to get the team playing and secure second I think Davies could do that too. He's not my cup of tea but just strikes me as the kind of guy that could do stuff short term

sam-watp
11-02-2017, 10:14
Please not McLeish.

Advertise the job. Pick the best candidate. Let whoever that is have the rest of the season to assess the squad. Rebuild in the summer.

If we do go with big eck, I prey it's only temporary and we've got better lined up in the summer.

Deidmoo5e
McLeish is perfect until the end of the season. Very good manager with someone else's team until you give him a chequebook. Thankfully he won't be able to sign anyone and will organise us.

Drumchapel-Bear
Davies is a crack pot.

He's got screws loose.

Never cut out to manage us in this situation.

Jurgen Klopp and Mourinho are crackpots as well. It doesn't detract from their abilities though.

And no I'm not comparing Davies to them ability wise it's just an example lol :D

Davies has a track record of taking over sides who are under achieving and getting a great reaction out of them.

muthacupboard
Eck won 2 doubles and a treble and got us to the last 16 of the champions league as Rangers manager.

Although we also finished 3rd and had some awful seasons.

Not much middle ground. Not sure about this appointment at all if it happens but I think it's important to get someone in quickly before Aberdeen pull away.

TN8
11-02-2017, 10:15
Murty has absolutely zero management experience for starters.

He will have after Sunday. Let's see how he gets on.

Whereas McLeish has experience of being relegated and/or sacked from most clubs he's managed. And causing me to contemplate sticking a rusty fork into my own scrotum while watching his brand of "football" lead us to third place in a 2-horse race. Throw in a full season plus of drubbings from the filth.

If he gets appointed I'll find it a struggle to go back this season.

onegill
11-02-2017, 10:16
Heard McLeish and Alex Rae were being lined up a week ago.
Got to be a backward step

sw26
11-02-2017, 10:16
how about we invite applications and see who is the best candidate, rather than limiting ourselves to looking at our previously manager list?
I despair at our fans sometimes, it's like kids desperate for their comfort blanket. One of my pals said we should get Smith back - I honestly think after Walter Smith is dead there will be folk wanting him dug up to steady the ship whenever we hit a bump.

we might have budget issues, but we are still a big draw to managers, and we should be considering options rather than the falling back to what we know (especially in the case of McLeish, where what we know (after a great initial period with someone else's team) was dreadful, turgid pish, finishing 3rd in a 2 horse race)

Don't disagree with anything you say, but this is all applicable to a long term appointment.

People need to distinguish between the short and long term here - I might be wrong but I don't see even those in favour of McLeish, Davies, Walter wanting them managing Rangers for the next 5 years. They could however tide us over until the end of the season.

CaptainCourageous
11-02-2017, 10:17
I don't want Billy Davies.

Although he would steady the ship, would be able to get a reaction from the players, organise them and he's got a much better CV than Mark Warburton.

We've got to come up with better than a McLeish, Davies, Wright or McInnes.

CaliforniaExile
11-02-2017, 10:17
Finished third in a two horse race when we had quality players.

The clown would take us into the bottom half. This can't be serious.

supergers07
11-02-2017, 10:18
Heard McLeish and Alex Rae were being lined up a week ago.
Got to be a backward step

Not til the summer it isn't
Rather McLeish than Davies coming in to put over his madness

garyw09
11-02-2017, 10:18
Jurgen Klopp and Mourinho are crackpots as well. It doesn't detract from their abilities though.

And no I'm not comparing Davies to them ability wise it's just an example lol :D

Davies has a track record of taking over sides who are under achieving and getting a great reaction out of them.

Davies has literally won nothing in his 19 year managerial career. I would prefer someone who knows how to win.

Portadown_Bear
11-02-2017, 10:19
If it's a short term appointment for the rest of the season then surely it has to be Walter.

andy5836
11-02-2017, 10:21
Fair enough if it's just until the end of the season. If he sorts out the defence, gets us scoring more and finishes 2nd then it's job done and we look to bring in our number 1 candidate for next season.

supergers07
11-02-2017, 10:21
If it's a short term appointment for the rest of the season then surely it has to be Walter.

He has retired.

Derek Trotter
11-02-2017, 10:22
One way for the board to stop several thousand renewing

supergers07
11-02-2017, 10:23
Fair enough if it's just until the end of the season. If he sorts out the defence, gets us scoring more and finishes 2nd then it's job done and we look to bring in our number 1 candidate for next season.

Sense spoken.
This gives the board breathing space.....and the new manager breathing space to come up with the plans for next season over the next few months. Let the caretaker do the worrying about current set up.

batistuta2234
11-02-2017, 10:23
It makes no sense to sack Warburton because you don't trust him with money.

Any chance we can wrap this pish before it's taken as gospel the same way I'm still reading about Le Guen being sacked, he resigned, he wanted out, the same as PLG, I can just see it now, me logging on here in 2027 and the same clowns shouting about how everything would be better if we hadn't sacked 'Warbs'

the_ref
11-02-2017, 10:25
Don't disagree with anything you say, but this is all applicable to a long term appointment.

People need to distinguish between the short and long term here - I might be wrong but I don't see even those in favour of McLeish, Davies, Walter wanting them managing Rangers for the next 5 years. They could however tide us over until the end of the season.

I get where you're coming from, but I still think there might be better candidates to cover a temporary period. I'm at a loss at what McLeish has achieved in football management (after his initial period at Rangers - which is what, 15 years ago?) that would suggest that he is the right man to manage our club (interim or otherwise) other than one single fact - he's managed us before. It's so unimaginative.

Drumchapel-Bear
11-02-2017, 10:26
Davies has literally won nothing in his 19 year managerial career. I would prefer someone who knows how to win.

Success doesn't equate to just winning trophies. That would mean 99% of managers in the world currently aren't good managers.

It's not been realistic to win things with the club's he's been at. Pochettino hasn't won anything as a manager doesn't mean he's not a world class coach.

Standards1972
11-02-2017, 10:28
I wouldn't mind Davies.

However he wouldn't take it short term, in his head he's be worthy of a 5 year deal and a huge budget.

sparkafag
If you are looking to end the season 2nd - getting in the guy who ended the season 3rd the last time he was in the job doesnt feel sensible or pragmatic.

basiltherat
Wish there was some way I could stop caring about the club
If it's McLeish I'd love to be able to not watch or worry about it
But it's impossible so I'll be on line every Saturday or Sunday to watch the most turgid pushy football imaginable managed by a guy who had no future in the game till we were stupid enough to give him a job.
Just so depressing. The club is heading nowhere with him in charge

Dalbear
I wouldn't be too unhappy with Eck on a temporary basis though he wouldn't be my first choice. I don't want Davies at all. He's a loonball.

Chimo
If we bring in a short term replacement til the summer, we're probably going to miss out on potential bosman signings between now and then. Will put us at a disadvantage for next season already. And a new manager will have no time with the squad to prepare for European qualifiers.

Loyal Bear 72
11-02-2017, 10:29
The 'reviewed' part is the concern.

Opens the door for him to be given the gig full time based on fulfilling certain expectations. So what - if we finish second we get Eck on a 3 year deal with his God awful brand of football and talking utter pish when under pressure again? No thanks.

McCall got the gig short term when he had no chance long term. This is surely only short term, and even Eck's biggest critics will admit he is a decent manager for a short term basis, cajoling a squad on. No danger will he get the gig in the summer and money to invest.

Stuart_WATP
Mcleish much better option than Davies. If its to the end of the season id love big Eck. absolutely bleeds blue and loves this club.

batistuta2234
Another point, I don't want McLeish as our manager but I'm struggling to see how he'd be 'a backwards step' or a 'step down' have people been watching the pish Warburton has been serving up for the past year or are they just watching re runs of the games during his first 5 month, McLeish is ten times the manager Warburton will ever be and no amount of pointless passes across the midfield will ever suggest otherwise.

Paisleybear1872
Guy hasn't done a good job since he was Scotland manager about a decade ago.

They can shove their season ticket up their arse if this happens

davyloyal
11-02-2017, 10:31
Stephen Hughes, Dragan Mladenovich, Bob Malcolm, Vignal, a big French centre back with about 6 names, an Italian striker we never saw...

On the other hand, Dado, Nacho...

The bad probably outweigh the good.

ek_david
It's going to need to be an appointment like this to get us to the end of the season and then take it from there. Saying that if we have European football qualifying rounds our season will be starting quite early, which doesn't leave loads of time.

buster60
Last couple of times I've seen McLeish on TV he looked as if he was losing the plot. His speech and thought process seemed very slow and deliberate. He is yesterdays man and he should remain so.

Paisleybear1872
Another point, I don't want McLeish as our manager but I'm struggling to see how he'd be 'a backwards step' or a 'step down' have people been watching the pish Warburton has been serving up for the past year or are they just watching re runs of the games during his first 5 month, McLeish is ten times the manager Warburton will ever be and no amount of pointless passes across the midfield will ever suggest otherwise.

What a load of nonsense.

Warburton is a far better manager than McLeish, he has done nothing at club level for over a decade ffs.

Super-Swally
11-02-2017, 10:33
Why all the negativity??

Its clearly short term. And big eck is a good manager. Remember what he did last time, 7 trophies with no money!

1972 bear
11-02-2017, 10:34

That's not really true though.Is it...?

Amurphrfc
11-02-2017, 10:35
What a embarrassment if true.
It's what some of our support deserve though.

Its-Sebo
11-02-2017, 10:36
That won't happen

What is more likely is we appoint eck or Davies say it's until the end of the season to appease fans,they come and do ok,results pick up(lets be honest they couldn't not) and they are given the gig full time

This 100%. Scary stuff.

supergers07
11-02-2017, 10:38
If we bring in a short term replacement til the summer, we're probably going to miss out on potential bosman signings between now and then. Will put us at a disadvantage for next season already. And a new manager will have no time with the squad to prepare for European qualifiers.

What if the new manager doesn't want it til the summer and he can get on with his business stress free whilst Eck deals with the current farce

sirdrinksalot
It simply has to be a short term appointment if it is big Eck, I wouldn't have a problem with it to be honest, as long as there is another manager lined up for next season.

Ayrbear72
Please don't let this be true...here's a list of McLeish signings, a half dozen good ones in a list of some absolutele horrors.

A lot was said about the difference in spending power from Smith, Advocaat vs McLeish, but we must have wasted millions paying these guys off.

Kevin Muscat, Steven Thompson, Jerome Bonnisel, Dan Eggen, Nuno Capucho, Zurab Khizanishvilli, Paolo Vanoli, Henning Berg, Emerson, Egil Ostenstad, Hamed Namouchi, Gavin Rae, Barjim Fetai, Marc Kalenga, Dado Prso, Marvin Andrews, Alex Rae, Jean Alain Boumsong, Dragan Mladenovic, Nacho Novo, Olivier Bernard, Gregory Vignal, Bojan Djordic, Thomas Buffel, Sotrios Kygriakos, Ronald Watterus, Barry Ferguson, Ian Murray, Brahim Hemdani, Jose-Karl Pierre-Fanfan, Julien Rodriguez, Frank De Boer, Francis (Fox In The Box) Jeffers, Federico Niero, Danny N'Guessan, Filippo Maniero, Kris Boyd, Moses Ashikodi

batistuta2234
What a load of nonsense.

Warburton is a far better manager than McLeish, he has done nothing at club level for over a decade ffs.
As opposed to Warburton who has done nothing at club level in his life. FFS he didn't even know how to change a formation but hid it behind his 'ethos' and bullshit like 'plan b is to do plan a blah blah' and the gullible among our support bought it, Warburton hasn't got this great vision of how the game should really be played, he's got one system and if it goes to shit he hasn't got a clue how to change it.

Dalbear
11-02-2017, 10:39
What a load of nonsense.

He got Birmingham promoted and won the League Cup with them, which are significant achievements, so let's not exaggerate.

supergers07
11-02-2017, 10:39

Did you not read the reason the manager got the bin? He shat on us

big poppa
11-02-2017, 10:40

Its the supports fault warburton and weir couldnt organise a defence, adapt tactics and were a couple of money grabbers?

Stringer_Bell
11-02-2017, 10:41
even if it is originally just until the end of the season, if he does well then there is a chance he could be kept on.

That is worrying.

Brycie1982
11-02-2017, 10:42
Similar reaction on FF to when we first signed David Weir or brought Kenny Miller back, but you just never know what short term fixes can do.

The thing about McLeish is that he will do exactly as expected. He's not in any ways a managerial "failure" nor one associated with long term success. However, he has always made initial successes, and won trophies with unlikely clubs. He's a Ranger and too nice a person to shaft us. A safe pair of hands and certainly has won more silverware by far than all contestants mentioned.

Well said Rex McLeish is an impact manager who would do fine till May.

batistuta2234
11-02-2017, 10:42
Please don't let this be true...here's a list of McLeish signings, a half dozen good ones in a list of some absolutele horrors.

A lot was said about the difference in spending power from Smith, Advocaat vs McLeish, but we must have wasted millions paying these guys off.

Kevin Muscat, Steven Thompson, Jerome Bonnisel, Dan Eggen, Nuno Capucho, Zurab Khizanishvilli, Paolo Vanoli, Henning Berg, Emerson, Egil Ostenstad, Hamed Namouchi, Gavin Rae, Barjim Fetai, Marc Kalenga, Dado Prso, Marvin Andrews, Alex Rae, Jean Alain Boumsong, Dragan Mladenovic, Nacho Novo, Olivier Bernard, Gregory Vignal, Bojan Djordic, Thomas Buffel, Sotrios Kygriakos, Ronald Watterus, Barry Ferguson, Ian Murray, Brahim Hemdani, Jose-Karl Pierre-Fanfan, Julien Rodriguez, Frank De Boer, Francis (Fox In The Box) Jeffers, Federico Niero, Danny N'Guessan, Filippo Maniero, Kris Boyd, Moses Ashikodi
Half a dozen? I've just glanced at that list and I've already seen more than 'half a dozen' good signings.

thebluenosebear
11-02-2017, 10:45
11 games. 11 games without a win.

If we even give it to Eck until the end of the season we are a bigger joke than anyone imagined

hillviewbear
11-02-2017, 10:46

Kevin Muscat, Steven Thompson, Jerome Bonnisel, Dan Eggen, Nuno Capucho, Zurab Khizanishvilli, Paolo Vanoli, Henning Berg, Emerson, Egil Ostenstad, Hamed Namouchi, Gavin Rae, Barjim Fetai, Marc Kalenga, Dado Prso, Marvin Andrews, Alex Rae, Jean Alain Boumsong, Dragan Mladenovic, Nacho Novo, Olivier Bernard, Gregory Vignal, Bojan Djordic, Thomas Buffel, Sotrios Kygriakos, Ronald Watterus, Barry Ferguson, Ian Murray, Brahim Hemdani, Jose-Karl Pierre-Fanfan, Julien Rodriguez, Frank De Boer, Francis (Fox In The Box) Jeffers, Federico Niero, Danny N'Guessan, Filippo Maniero, Kris Boyd, Moses Ashikodi*** more than half a dozen good players in that list would have squad out of that no problem far better than what we have just now back to bed for you

Buncybouncer
11-02-2017, 10:46
At Motherwell ,Hibs ,ourselves and Scotland McLeish got the best out of players in the first few months of his tenure..With this in mind and given his knowledge of managing Rangers and all that goes with it i feel his appointment till the end of the season would be acceptable .

thebluenosebear
11-02-2017, 10:47
Well said Rex McLeish is an impact manager who would do fine till May.

No. He really isn't or wouldn't he's not made an impact since he took the Villa job and that was only because he took it after being at their biggest rivals not for anything he could bring to the park.

I'd rather he played centre half right now than hit the dugout again

Teddyjohn
11-02-2017, 10:48
McLeish is fine for a short term effect on the club. He will grind out better results than what we've been having, but long term once he has to start bringing in his own players then he's a disaster.

If it's only until May then I'll back that decision, but we definitely need someone else by the time the 17/18 season starts.

Paisleybear1872
11-02-2017, 10:48
As opposed to Warburton who has done nothing at club level in his life. FFS he didn't even know how to change a formation but hid it behind his 'ethos' and bullshit like 'plan b is to do plan a blah blah' and the gullible among our support bought it, Warburton hasn't got this great vision of how the game should really be played, he's got one system and if it goes to shit he hasn't got a clue how to change it.
No matter how shite he has been this sesson, he still done a fantastic job at Brentford and done well fixing Allys mess last season.

McLeish 10x the manager of Warburton, don't make me laugh.

Stuart_WATP
11-02-2017, 10:49
Half a dozen? I've just glanced at that list and I've already seen more than 'half a dozen' good signings.

Id take them all :D

thebluenosebear
11-02-2017, 10:49
At Motherwell ,Hibs ,ourselves and Scotland McLeish got the best out of players in the first few months of his tenure..With this in mind and given his knowledge of managing Rangers and all that goes with it i feel his appointment till the end of the season would be acceptable .

He left Rangers in 2006, his days of getting the best out of players was nearly 20 years ago, do you not remember how bad it was under mcleish coz I sure as hell do, we finished 3rd in a 2 horse race, if thats what your after he'd be perfect till the end of the season

thebluenosebear
11-02-2017, 10:51
No matter how shite he has been this sesson, he still done a fantastic job at Brentford and done well fixing Allys mess last season.

Being good at Brentford is a far cry from being able to handle Rangers, he was out his depth, granted he wasn't backed but lets not gloss over it we are 27 points behind the yahoos

As for fixing Allys mess any manager should have been able to get Rangers out that league...any manager. Ally was never a manager

Drumchapel-Bear
11-02-2017, 10:53
Did you not read the reason the manager got the bin? He shat on us

They were already on the way out and it had been months in the making. Warburton was looking out for his own interests after being let down with lack of money/broken promises (in his opinion). He's been caught out with the Forrest job falling through and is now in limbo, tough titty.

Nobody comes out of this episode looking good. The board have been shambolic as well.

Ayrbear72
*** more than half a dozen good players in that list would have squad out of that no problem far better than what we have just now back to bed for you

Half a dozen was a figure of speech. What I'm trying to say is the bad far and away out numbered the good. And when you have very little cash, like McLeisgh first time round as well, you need a manager who gets most right.

We have a tendency to look at transfer fees when assessing what resources a manager had at his disposal and whether he can work within a budget, but some of the above would have been on very decent money only to be paid off. It was a regular thing under McLeish for players to have their contracts ripped up. Must have cost us millions.

Paisleybear1872
He got Birmingham promoted and won the League Cup with them, which are significant achievements, so let's not exaggerate.

Ooos sorry mate, my mistake. It was only 9 years ago since his last achievement, not a decade. How could I forget.

barrymoped
11-02-2017, 10:54
I wouldn't be particularly excited if Eck was brought in temporarily, but it wouldn't be the end of the world either, he would be a relatively safe pair of hands, albeit not a particularly exciting appointment.

A proper decent manager would be hard to get right now since the transfer window is closed, we have to make do with the bombscare of a defence and toothless frontline until June and try to secure 2nd spot, 3rd at the absolute worst to get European football.

54ncounting
11-02-2017, 10:55
The next appointment appears to be interim, hold down the fort, get the job done any means. If you were looking for safe hands what would the criteria be: surely it would be local knowledge, experience?

if the board select Big Eck then that is the reason why, it's obviously not for the long term.

am I impressed no, do I perhaps understand - yes. The job to get 2nd is all that matters.

we have no budget, no window to address anything other than work with the players we have - the board are stuck between a rock and a hard place, thanks to the timing of the farce.

jaws73
11-02-2017, 10:58
McLeish is fine for a short term effect on the club. He will grind out better results than what we've been having, but long term once he has to start bringing in his own players then he's a disaster.

If it's only until May then I'll back that decision, but we definitely need someone else by the time the 17/18 season starts.

Season Tickets will be going on sale around late April before the 'split (going by last season's dates). The Board are going to have to paint us some sort of picture about how they envisage things from 2017/2018 season onwards (regardless of any temporary solution).

batistuta2234
11-02-2017, 10:59
Please not McLeish.

Advertise the job. Pick the best candidate. Let whoever that is have the rest of the season to assess the squad. Rebuild in the summer.

If we do go with big eck, I prey it's only temporary and we've got better lined up in the summer.

As I said I'd rather have someone other than McLeish, but can we stop with this advertising the job and picking candidates, we're not the ****ing Tesco, we are a football club, football clubs (non diddy ones) don't advertise jobs ffs, is this just a FF thing? I've never heard of any fan (outside this site) of any club ever suggest this.

Jacrispy
11-02-2017, 11:00

Still think sacking a liar that couldn't keep weans out a close is taking us back decades?

Mez
11-02-2017, 11:00
This was always the worry if we got rid of Warburton, albeit obviously under different circumstances.

The "in the know" guys told us to stop being so ridiculous and of course the net would extend beyond McLeish, Davies and McInnes. I really hope they were right on this one, as appointing any of the three would be massively underwhelming.

Teddyjohn
11-02-2017, 11:01
Still think sacking a liar that couldn't keep weans out a close is taking us back decades?
He probably still thinks we should have stuck with PLG.

Blue Tack
11-02-2017, 11:01

Id take in a HEARTBEAT ,Khizanishvilli ,Boumsong ,Namouchi ,Prso ,Rae,Novo ,Vignal,Buffel ,Wattereus ,Hemdani ,FDB and Rodriguez .

Theres a dozen id play tomorrow ,people forget MW has done nothing in football ,hes a failed "city whizz kid" i think he didnt change Plan A because he hasnt got the football brain to do so ,the clamour on here for MW was embarrassing like we had unearthed some hidden away Guardiola that played Barca esqe football ,id take mcleish till end of season and thats it ,he is at least able to handle the media and handle the job ,Glasgow has been the graveyard for many an old firm player and manager ,at least the big man will have the skin for it ,but only till end of season ,after that id be a pissed if he was manager full time but id give him my backing

CaliforniaExile
11-02-2017, 11:02
McLeish just got sacked by a team in the Egyptian league ffs. His time has passed.

Jacrispy
11-02-2017, 11:02
I can accept McLeish until the end of the season. But as a permanent appointment he would be an utterly depressing choice.

CaliforniaExile
11-02-2017, 11:03
As I said I'd rather have someone other than McLeish, but can we stop with this advertising the job and picking candidates, we're not the ****ing Tesco, we are a football club, football clubs (non diddy ones) don't advertise jobs ffs, is this just a FF thing? I've never heard of any fan (outside this site) of any club ever suggest this.
Agreed. It's a tinpot club mentality. Rangers should never need to advertise ffs.

Jacrispy
11-02-2017, 11:04
They were already on the way out and it had been months in the making. Warburton was looking out for his own interests after being let down with lack of money/broken promises (in his opinion). He's been caught out with the Forrest job falling through and is now in limbo, tough titty.

Nobody comes out of this episode looking good. The board have been shambolic as well.

MW will need to have you surgically removed from his backside before he heads back down South

For fecks sake open your eyes to the reality.

batistuta2234
11-02-2017, 11:08

Ah, ok mate I get it, anything Warburton has done is great and everything McLeish has done isn't that good, why are we limiting McLeish achievements to past 10 year btw? (Which are still better than anything Warburton has ever done) why not just compare both achievements over their whole managerial careers?

Paisleybear1872
11-02-2017, 11:09
Ah, ok mate I get it, anything Warburton has done is great and everything McLeish has done isn't that good, why are we limiting McLeish achievements to past 10 year btw? (Which are still better than anything Warburton has ever done) why not just compare both achievements over their whole managerial careers?

Because he has had 9 years without doing anything of note, other than get sacked 4 times. His time is gone.

Bowery Boys
11-02-2017, 11:10
What did people expect?

Frank de Boer?

Laughable.

Burgh-Ger
11-02-2017, 11:11
I don't see anything on the Sun website to suggest Mcleish is the man they want?
Also, IF true, why does anyone think he would get the job permanent basis?
Does the board have history of this - no!!

Drumchapel-Bear
11-02-2017, 11:12
MW will need to have you surgically removed from his backside before he heads back down South

For fecks sake open your eyes to the reality.

Calm down petal you're a very angry wee guy these days.

Paisleybear1872
11-02-2017, 11:14
What did people expect?

Frank de Boer?

Laughable.

No, but considering it was between Warburton and Vitor Pereira last time (both better managers than McLeish) then I'd expect even better candidates now we are in the Premiership.

batistuta2234
11-02-2017, 11:16
Because he has had 9 years without doing anything of note, other than get sacked 4 times. His time is gone.

No bother mate👍

Jacrispy
11-02-2017, 11:17
Calm down petal you're a very angry wee guy these days.

I think a positive steps been taken so that won't be me. I'd say you'll be the one cry wanking yourself to sleep with your messiah getting found out

alexo
11-02-2017, 11:17
This until the end of the season stuff is horrendous, what if McLeish was to win the Scottish Cup and secure second in the league by winning say 10 of the remaining 14? Do you then ditch him regardless?

We need a manager in now who can fully assess the situation, start to implement what he wants to do and transfer business can start in the 1st of June.

stevie13000
11-02-2017, 11:18
If Mcleish is our manager season tickets will take a hit.

Yes , absolutely season tickets will take a hit if this becomes reality.

As I said before if it's someone like mcleish you know that in regards to investment it will be similar to what we see just now.

A more prestige name FDB then that would tell you there could be a good bit of investment coming into the club .

The Royal Standard
Mcleish ?

Caretaker until summer maybe ,

No way a long term appointment

Jacrispy
What did people expect?

Frank de Boer?

Laughable.

There are still people who think this sort of appointment is feasible and that we have a pot of cash waiting for the next guy. It's mental

Burnbankblue
If this board appoint McLeish, then I'm finished with them. To bring in the manager who signed duds like ěstenstad, and had the team playing the most boring mind numbing brand of football would be a disgrace. To go from Warburton to McLeish, depressing wouldn't even cover it!

Drumchapel-Bear
11-02-2017, 11:21
I think a positive steps been taken so that won't be me. I'd say you'll be the one cry wanking yourself to sleep with your messiah getting found out

Are you thick? The post you quoted I criticised him for going behind the club's back.

Bearwood Bear
11-02-2017, 11:21

Indeed.

And the first manager to take Rangers - or any Scots club - into the last 16 of the Champs League.

The lack of realism on here is astounding at times; how many good coaches and managers are sat about in February waiting for a call....

Mez
11-02-2017, 11:23

DB, like myself, will just be feeling let down at the manner in which it's all ended. I accept the writing was on the wall and it was becoming increasingly difficult to defend him, but I totally expected him to leave with dignity. That's undoubtedly the most disappointing bit of it all.

Jacrispy
11-02-2017, 11:24
Are you thick? The post you quoted I criticised him for going behind the club's back.

No, you've decided to try and deflect blame back onto the board. Where did you criticise him?

You've mentioned he was looking out for himself, I see no criticism though. Someone's definitely thick though you're right about that.

You were so far up the guys arse for so long while taking snidey digs Dave King I suppose it was to be accepted

Jacrispy
11-02-2017, 11:26
DB, like myself, will just be feeling let down at the manner in which it's all ended. I accept the writing was on the wall and it was becoming increasingly difficult to defend him, but I totally expected him to leave with dignity. That's undoubtedly the most disappointing bit of it all.
I wanted the same. Only about 24 hours ago I was saying that I hoped when he did leave he'd be shown the respect he deserves

But I myself had been naive and unaware I had been deceived by a sleekit character

Southfork Loyal
11-02-2017, 11:26
If this board appoint McLeish, then I'm finished with them. To bring in the manager who signed duds like ěstenstad, and had the team playing the most boring mind numbing brand of football would be a disgrace. To go from Warburton to McLeish, depressing wouldn't even cover it!

A manager who won us trophies including a treble and got us to the last 16 in the Champions League on a limited budget. I'd take that sort of failure any day.

supergers07
11-02-2017, 11:28
McLeish 4/6

batistuta2234
11-02-2017, 11:29

Maybe it's just me that's been watching a different Rangers team to every **** else, my Mrs must have spiked me with smack, are people forming their opinions on what they've actually been watching since the semi-final last year or are they forming them on some belief of what we would have become "if only we'd have given him time" because surely no Rangers fan thinks that the standard of football this season has been anything other than dire, yet I keep reading things that make me think we just got rid a manger that had us playing this great free flowing total football, a wee point, just because our keeper roles the ball out from the back doesn't make us an attractive team to watch.

johnoblue
11-02-2017, 11:29
Just when you thought things could not get any worse, please board leave big Eck out of it, an appointment like this would set us back years.

Dadoprso's ponytail9
11-02-2017, 11:30
If it's short term they are after then they should try Walter and see if he will come out of retirement for until may

That way we know he won't be in charge next season

thetoptier
11-02-2017, 11:30
absolutely depressing

unionjock2
11-02-2017, 11:34
A manager who won us five trophies and got us to the last 16 in the Champions League on a limited budget. I'd take that sort of failure any day.
Big Eck is an absolute gentleman, but once he started to build his own teams he was a failure. The 5 trophies squad was what Advocaat left behind and McLeish drummed that winning mentality back into them. It was what happened afterwards that should have us screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

IbroxForever
11-02-2017, 11:35
May as well bring back McCoist FFS we are a joke

Dalbear
11-02-2017, 11:36
Ooos sorry mate, my mistake. It was only 9 years ago since his last achievement, not a decade. How could I forget.

You said over a decade. And he won the League Cup with Birmingham in 2011. Like I said, let's not exaggerate.

James Clark
11-02-2017, 11:37
I sincerely hope not. Big Eck is an absolute gent, but it's really not what we need right now.

bluenose_since_birth
11-02-2017, 11:41
I think McLeish would be a great appointment for the short term. As long as there is absolutely no chance of staying on after the end of the season

Ddotted
11-02-2017, 11:42
If Mcleish is our manager season tickets will take a hit. BS our season tickets would have taken a hit if W&W had stayed and taken us to a battle for 4th.....and this was on the cards.

Whoever comes in need to demonstrate they have made a difference and season tix will sell. If it is Eck I do hope he brings in. New blood like Neil McCann alongside him.

Elvis Cole
11-02-2017, 11:44
What a load of nonsense.

Eck gave me the three greatest days of my life following Rangers.

Marshall1873
I will be renewing as usual
I support Rangers and anyone who is manager

drfc2010
Big Eck .. An absolutely absurd choice if true .. The guys a dinosaur..
Warburton is the one that was promised the cash for players that never materialised..
Alfie Mawson and Clayton Donaldson
Wanted to sign right at the beginning but was going to cost hard cash..
2 million ..
The club didn't back him .. For what reason I don't know .. Sports direct saga maybe ...
Surprised Mark stuck it out this long ..
Couple of signings didn't work out granted.
But the ethos and the setup was being gradually put in place without full backing of the board .
All a mess really

cosmoger
Where is Hamed Namouchi these days?

:blink:

Meldy
11-02-2017, 11:47
Please.....no
Not for me...ffs...no no no!

bluenose_since_birth
11-02-2017, 11:47
Meant to add before I accidentally posted: he starts well and gets the best out of existing squads. It's when he builds his own team that it falls apart.

Roffey
11-02-2017, 11:48
I'd rather we gave Davies a chance.

Not happy with either if I'm honest.

DavyMcK
11-02-2017, 11:48
Short term im OK with this. We need to steady the ship. Rest of this season to confirm 2nd spot. Longer term we need a planned strategy

Jacrispy
11-02-2017, 11:50

Studying hard for his impending role as Assistsnt Manager of Rangers :D

A1bertz
At least it's not Smith.

bluenose_since_birth
I think he'd steer us to second and give us a good run in the cup. Our odds of winning the cup would increase drastically with McLeish in charge, more so than Davies I'd suggest. I'd want to hear an announcement of who's coming in for the summer fairly soon though.

mayfairblue2
11-02-2017, 11:51
I wouldn't like to see Eck return totally uninspiring.

alexo
11-02-2017, 11:52

Given all the former players people want to be manager / assistant, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned him yet...

batistuta2234
11-02-2017, 11:53

Any worse than MOH?

Gheorghe_Hagi
We need to finish second, is the best way to do that appointing a man who has experience of taking us to 3rd?

Jaws II
I want eck as a stop gap until summer. I would also like him as a D of Football which I know King favours.
However as first team coach if we have any ambitions we need a good young modern guy such as FDB or even Michael Laudrup.
If it is eck permanently it tells you we have no money to spend. Eck I think will sort the defence out whether it is just this summer or permanently but with no money we will not get the type of players needed to challenge Celtic.

Leo_Ger
11-02-2017, 11:57
If it's down to between him and Davies for the next few months then I'd rather have McLeish.

The board have their work cut out to make the correct long term appointment and source some investment to back him for next season.

If not, the reality will be a huge falllout.

batistuta2234
11-02-2017, 11:57
At least it's not Smith.
I know, **** that eh? What's Smith ever done in the game.

Thank **** Conte is doing well at Chelsea too wouldn't want us approaching him, no way, give me an inexperienced guy that bangs on about his 'style' and 'ethos' yet his team contradicts his words everytime the step on the park.

Pep_x
11-02-2017, 11:59
If it's just to give Murty a hand for the next few weeks then that's fair enough.
But any thoughts he is a long term option should be quickly nipped in the bud. It would be a disaster.

jcb64
11-02-2017, 11:59
I want eck as a stop gap until summer. I would also like him as a D of Football which I know King favours.
However as first team coach if we have any ambitions we need a good young modern guy such as FDB or even Michael Laudrup.
If it is eck permanently it tells you we have no money to spend. Eck I think will sort the defence out whether it is just this summer or permanently but with no money we will not get the type of players needed to challenge Celtic.

Ross Wilson from Southampton being mentioned re- DOF.

motherwellblue
11-02-2017, 12:01
This is a sun story.A lot of shite as usual.

stayfor90mins
11-02-2017, 12:01
Your only as good as your last game and Mcleish had us finished third is his last season , so no thanks

wee_stu_1873
11-02-2017, 12:02
The calibre of manager we can attract for next season fully depends on whether or not we qualify for European football.
If we fail, get used to the idea of the likes of McLeish, Davies etc being in the dugout.
We MUST finish 2nd and hopefully win the cup!

coop
11-02-2017, 12:04
Maybe it's just me that's been watching a different Rangers team to every **** else, my Mrs must have spiked me with smack, are people forming their opinions on what they've actually been watching since the semi-final last year or are they forming them on some belief of what we would have become "if only we'd have given him time" because surely no Rangers fan thinks that the standard of football this season has been anything other than dire, yet I keep reading things that make me think we just got rid a manger that had us playing this great free flowing total football, a wee point, just because our keeper roles the ball out from the back doesn't make us an attractive team to watch.

I agree mate, some of our fans just don't have a f..king clue. The performances since other managers sussed out his ONE dimensional style of play were awful.
I'm relieved he's gone, my worry is the poor players he's left behind and the fact we need to start from scratch again with no money.
The board really need to up their game as there's been very little transparency or any longer term plan..
As for a manager I feel they will go for someone who knows the club so probably big eck which won't go down well on here.

Broxburn Bear
11-02-2017, 12:05
[QUOTE=Marshall1873;24991044]I will be renewing as usual
I support Rangers and anyone who is manager[/QUOTE

Exactly it's Rangers we support not individuals.
We are back where we belong after a long hard Journey there will be ups & downs twists & turns upsets & tantrums but remember division & infighting is what our Haters want.

biggee
11-02-2017, 12:06

But surely shocked at the stupidity of this ??

martin
11-02-2017, 12:07
I really wouldn't want McLeish and really not Davies either. If I had to pick one of the two I'd go for Davies purely on a Football Focus piece where he appeared to be pretty professional when it came down to training and dealing with the players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMErnKrtL1o

Has to be said he did go batsh*t crazy in the second spell.

aldo78
11-02-2017, 12:09
What a thoroughly depressing thought. is that really the best we can do?

Derek Trotter
11-02-2017, 12:10
At least it's not Smith.

Walter or Mcleish until the end of season?

Only a mentalist would choose McLeish

Union Jack 1873
11-02-2017, 12:12

Mentioned where ?

Dadoprso's ponytail9
11-02-2017, 12:19
At least it's not Smith.

Hahahahahahaha

That's a good one

basiltherat
11-02-2017, 12:23

Think he got them relegated as well. Twice if I'm not mistaken
Seriously talk to a Villa, Forest or Birmingham fan and tell them you think he's a good manager.
You may expect some degree of incredulity in response

GGTHEBEAR
11-02-2017, 12:27
I really thought we'd finally rid ourselves of this obsession with re-employing 'good Rangers men' whose only credential is that they are 'good Rangers men'.

There's umpteen better candidates would bite your hand off for a crack at the job, whether permanently or interim.

McLeish? Please, just shoot me now.

Dalbear
11-02-2017, 12:30
Seriously talk to a Villa, Forest or Birmingham fan and tell them you think he's a good manager.

I was just making sure we had the facts straight.

Dalbear
11-02-2017, 12:32

I heard a radio interview with him a wee while ago and he came across well, for what that's worth.

Stringer_Bell
11-02-2017, 12:33
I don't think the board are stupid enough to give him the gig full time.

They know the next manager will need to be the one to get the club challenging again.

Meldy
11-02-2017, 12:37
....maybe it's to play next to Hill at the back:angel:

batistuta2234
11-02-2017, 12:40

Why do people on here obsess about what other fans think of our ex managers? Ask Everton fans about Smith, ask Villa fans about Eck I don't give a **** if some scouse tramp doesn't rate Walter Smith what he achieved with the team I support far outweighs the thoughts of some nugget that supports a team that he failed at, Its like Lyon fans arguing about Le Guen and using Rangers as the yardstick for their argument while conveniently forgetting everything they done at their own club.

Bluebritain
11-02-2017, 12:43
Let's see how Murty gets on. But if it really has to come down to it, then big Eck over Davies for the rest of the season. Cannot stand the man.

big poppa
11-02-2017, 12:44
Why do people on here obsess about what other fans think of our ex managers? Ask Everton fans about Smith, ask Villa fans about Eck I don't give a **** if some scouse tramp doesn't rate Walter Smith what he achieved with the team I support far outweighs the thoughts of some nugget that supports a team that he failed at, Its like Lyon fans arguing about Le Guen and using Rangers as the yardstick for their argument while conveniently forgetting everything they done at their own club.

Agreed.

For what its worth i wouldnt be in favour of either eck or smith returning. Their days are gone imo.

But the way folk on here recoil in horror at the mere mention of their names is mental.

Both of them won leagues and cups for rangers. Isnt that the least we expect off a manager?

baystatebear
11-02-2017, 12:51
I'm upset at the manner of Warburton's departure, but not at the fact of his leaving - which I welcome. But to replace him with Eck, a failed manager by any yardstick, would signal that we are in deep trouble.

PalefaceRedskin03
11-02-2017, 13:01
The disrespect for McLeish on this thread is astounding. We were already into cost-cutting mode and they had the 6th biggest wage bill in Britain by the time he was in place. He trebled them. He also won another league v them with a team of Bosmans. Yes, there were also two really poor seasons under him but for folk to make out he's a joke is nonsense.

I want De Boer too, if we can afford it and put the right structure in place, but I think McLeish will get more out of these players than we've been getting in recent months.