PDA

View Full Version : Daryl Horgan - Andy Boyle

Stavros Flatley
14-11-2016, 22:34
Rangers have reportedly joined Aston Villa, Celtic and Newcastle United in the race to sign winger Daryl Horgan.

According to Irish newspaper The Herald, Rangers have joined the race for Dundalk winger Daryl Horgan Ė and also want to sign his team-mate Andy Boyle.

Dundalk have been the story of this season's Europa League, having not only beaten Maccabi Tel Aviv in Group D, but also drew with AZ Alkmaar and fought valiantly against Zenit St. Petersburg.

The problem for manager Stephen Kenny is that those impressive performances both in the Europa League and in the League of Ireland mean that a host of clubs are interested in signing their players.

RTE recently reported that Aston Villa and Newcastle United sent scouts to watch star winger Daryl Horgan in action against Cork City in the FAI Cup final, whilst The Irish Sun reported over the weekend that Celtic had also joined the race for his signature.

Meanwhile, HITC Sport understand that Ipswich Town have registered an interest in signing Dundalk centre back Andy Boyle, with both he and Horgan coming to the end of their contracts next month.

Now, Irish newspaper The Herald report that Rangers are keen to sign both players, with Mark Warburton looking for January reinforcements after an up-and-down start to the season, though they could face a battle with Old Firm rivals Celtic for Horgan, whilst Preston are believed to the 'favourites' to land him.

Winger Horgan, 24, has become Dundalk's key player, scoring ten goals in his last 22 games, whilst earning a place in the Republic of Ireland national team, and he would add some pace and quality out wide for a Rangers side who have struggled going forward at times this season.

Can't say I've heard of either of them.

Anyone know anything about them?

Blue Phoenix
14-11-2016, 22:37
Rangers have reportedly joined Aston Villa, Celtic and Newcastle United in the race to sign winger Daryl Horgan.

Both are making their mark with Dundalk in the Europa League this year.

Valley Bluenose
14-11-2016, 22:40
Should please those who say we need to be looking at the foreign market.:ninja:

They certainly seem to fit the bill in terms of positions we need to strengthen. Dundalk have excelled this season as well. Sounds like the winger will be bound for the English Champuoship I suspect. Never know though.

Stavros Flatley
14-11-2016, 22:42
The obligatory Youtube wonder goal....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbC5sENqBbw

Looks a very talented player.

Dede' Arneaux
14-11-2016, 22:49
Is Stephen Kenny not the dude who lasted about 10 minutes at Dunfermline and left following an inappropriate relationship?

StaunchXI
14-11-2016, 22:53
Is Stephen Kenny not the dude who lasted about 10 minutes at Dunfermline and left following an inappropriate relationship?

The very same

superrangers
14-11-2016, 22:57

Really? Celtc are a lesser-known bunch of bhigoted scumbags whose fans are known for sexual abuse of family members and not washing. Newcastle United hail from the North East of England and are owned by one of Britain's fattest and most detestable scumbags.

Dede' Arneaux
14-11-2016, 23:01
The very same

Thought the name rang a bell.
His Derry City team took 5 off Motherwell in UEFA cup did they not? Probably what attracted him to the pars.

if I've joined the dots correctly

supergers07
14-11-2016, 23:05
Game changers right there........

If you are a Motherwell or Dundee

JohnnyBlue
15-11-2016, 07:10
Heard some good stuff about Daryl Horgan. Sound like they are worth a look, Dundalk's achievements this year have been incredible.

pandager1
15-11-2016, 07:36

Now now, don't be too dismissive of the League of Ireland, some very good players have come from there and done well in the Premier League.

Deacon_Frost
15-11-2016, 07:56
Surely we have to set out sights higher?

GBTQ
15-11-2016, 08:00
Surely we have to set out sights higher?

We have no cash to spend this is our market at the moment in the hope of making some money.

WATP85
15-11-2016, 08:02
We have no cash to spend this is our market at the moment in the hope of making some money.

Both will be out of contract next month.

Plus they've played at a higher level than nearly all our squad this season. If they've both performed well and fit into our system then it could be a good move.

Dave Lancaster
15-11-2016, 08:18

I don't think I know this story. What's the details?

Dalbear
15-11-2016, 08:30
We could do with a centre-back in particular. Whether Boyle is the guy I don't know but there seem to be a few teams interested in him. We'll see how it goes.

Sutton_Blows_g0ats
15-11-2016, 08:39
They might turn out to be bargains but there is also the chance they dont want to come here because of who we are.

interbear
15-11-2016, 09:00
They might turn out to be bargains but there is also the chance they dont want to come here because of who we are.

Any footballer at a club like Dundalk with aspirations to develop a professional career would relish a move to Rangers. Thankfully not all Irishmen, in fact very few of them, have the same "anti Rangers" gene of the West of Scotland plastic paddies. I know that much depends on family history and who they've supported growing up, but we should not dismiss every player from Ireland. Too many good players have come out of Ireland for us to do that.

Horgan in particular looks a right good player. However, the fact that Newcastle and Villa are also interested in him will possibly be more likely to see him not arrive at Rangers. They could both pay more than us which probably trumps any interest or disinterest in playing for our club.

supergers07
15-11-2016, 09:15

I understand that, but we sign this type of player or league 1/2 level from down south we will get no success. None.

ChampionGer
15-11-2016, 09:20
Any footballer at a club like Dundalk with aspirations to develop a professional career would relish a move to Rangers. Thankfully not all Irishmen, in fact very few of them, have the same "anti Rangers" gene of the West of Scotland plastic paddies. I know that much depends on family history and who they've supported growing up, but we should not dismiss every player from Ireland. Too many good players have come out of Ireland for us to do that.

Horgan in particular looks a right good player. However, the fact that Newcastle and Villa are also interested in him will possibly be more likely to see him not arrive at Rangers. They could both pay more than us which probably trumps any interest or disinterest in playing for our club.

Agree with this

Stavros Flatley
15-11-2016, 09:21
Evening Times also running with the story. Wonder if they picked it up from here? :angel:

Rangers join race for Dundalk World Cup duo Horgan and Boyle

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/resources/images/5706193.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=responsive-gallery

RANGERS have become the latest club to join in the race for Dundalk pair Andy Boyle and Daryl Horgan, who are both available for free next month.

Boyle and Horgan were both called up for Irelandís World Cup 1-0 win in Austria, after their European exploits with Stephen Kennyís side this year.

And although neither got on, a host of English Championship clubs have been linked with the duo, including Reading, QPR, Preston North End and Newcastle United.

And Ibrox boss Mark Warburton has become the latest manager to have registered an interest for the pair, who will soon be out of contract at Oriel Park.

Speaking last week, winger Horgan made it clear he would love a move to a big club.

He said: ďI donít know, really whatís going on. To be honest with you, I try to stay out of it as much as I possibly can.

ďItís very easy to say youíre interested. Itís very different to put an offer on the table and, at the minute, there are no offers on the table.

ďIím a Dundalk player. Iím very happy at Dundalk but, as I said, if an offer does come in from somewhere, Iíd have to consider it, especially from a massive club.Ē

And 25-year-old defender Boyle has also admitted a move across the Irish Sea would be too good to turn down.

He added: ďI suppose an offer is definitely something you have to consider. Obviously Iíve enjoyed our time at Dundalk and what weíve done in the Europa League.

ďIf an offer was to come in itís something Iíd consider, but I havenít had any offer at the moment on the table, so weíll have to wait and see.

ďIíve enjoyed my football and to get the recognition of an international call-up has been massive.Ē

Both appear to fit the profile we're looking for and, crucially, they would both be free!

Horgan in particular seems to be very highly rated.

markyp
15-11-2016, 09:31
No doubt they would move to The Rangers.... however can you imagine the grief, hassle & poison they would get living here, from the other sides supporters..... could they handle that side of it??

Stavros Flatley
15-11-2016, 09:39
Heard some good stuff about Daryl Horgan. Sound like they are worth a look, Dundalk's achievements this year have been incredible.

Here's what one of his team mates had to say about him after the Zenit game in which he scored a fantastic solo goal....

Just a day after he was named in the Republic of Irelandís provisional squad to face Austria in a World Cup qualifier next week, the lightening quick winger produced a solo strike of pure class and team-mate Patrick McEleney reckons Ďthe world is his oyster nowí.

Heís unbelievable and itís great to play along with him. We are just very lucky to have him. Long may it continue for us. Iíve said it before, heís the only player Iíve played with where I think, Ďgive him the ballí all the time. Thatís the biggest compliment I can pay him. Itís just a pleasure to play with him.
ĎThe world is Darylís oyster now and the only way is up for him. Itís just brilliant to have him.í

Seems to be a lot of interest in him with no concrete offers on the table as yet.

Hop we get in early and try and nick him.

dublinbluenose
15-11-2016, 09:48
What might help Dean Shiels is Playing for Dundalk and i am sure he will be giving them positive advice about signing for Rangers.

Stavros Flatley
15-11-2016, 09:56

There are gems out there if you look hard enough. Vardy was at the mighty Fleetwood and Mahrez was on trial at St Mirren.

I appreciate those two are exceptional examples but you get the point I'm sure.

Stavros Flatley
15-11-2016, 10:06
Not to mention Aaron Mooy who was also at St Mirren now with Man City.

I could go on.

Valley Bluenose
15-11-2016, 10:09
I understand that, but we sign this type of player or league 1/2 level from down south we will get no success. None.

You appear to be agreeing we can't afford any better .... and then saying we should't sign what we CAN afford. These guys will be out of contract so only signing-on plus wages.

What's left? Other Bosmans with bigger signing-on fees and higher wages appears to be your answer. Barton? Kranjcar? Lampard???

Butcher6
15-11-2016, 10:10
I hope we have done our homework on these lads and not just going for them because they have had a few decent games in Europe.

We can't afford to get many more wrong they have to able to play now imo not a year or two down the line.

Torque87
15-11-2016, 10:18
I can safely say I've never seen these lads play. I just have to trust that we've done our home work of there's any substance in these rumours.

Stavros Flatley
15-11-2016, 10:21
I hope we have done our homework on these lads and not just going for them because they have had a few decent games in Europe.

We can't afford to get many more wrong they have to able to play now imo not a year or two down the line.

Eh???

They've both played in Europe this season where Horgan ripped the Zenit defence a new arse.

It could be argued that they've both played at a higher level than most of our current first team squad. Of course they're ready to play now!

supergers07
15-11-2016, 10:23
Eh???

They've both played in Europe this season where Horgan ripped the Zenit defence a new arse.

It could be argued that they've both played at a higher level than most of our current first team squad. Of course they're ready to play now!

Sorry, I'm not having it. The LOI is even worse than the SPHELL. It's a part time league. One or two good games does not a player make.

supergers07
15-11-2016, 10:25
You appear to be agreeing we can't afford any better .... and then saying we should't sign what we CAN afford. These guys will be out of contract so only signing-on plus wages.

What's left? Other Bosmans with bigger signing-on fees and higher wages appears to be your answer. Barton? Kranjcar? Lampard???

So you are happy to sign players out a part time league and believe that these types of signings would help us challenge?
Not a chance, hopefully all just paper talk, same with Jai 'rebel rebel' Quitongo.

Butcher6
15-11-2016, 10:25
Eh???

Yes but not all can play for a club as huge and demanding as ours see Barton!!

We can't afford to have players taking a year to settle imo we need them to hit the ground running I don't see what's wrong with that.

Earl of Leven
15-11-2016, 10:27
As long as there is absolutely no

"Growing up I always loved Celtic" pish in their background, or any Stokes style nationalist shite.

Stavros Flatley
15-11-2016, 10:37
As long as there is absolutely no

"Growing up I always loved Celtic" pish in their background, or any Stokes style nationalist shite.

Couldny gie a flying **** who they grew up supporting!

Agree with the 'No Provos' sentiment.

Stavros Flatley
15-11-2016, 10:41
Yes but not all can play for a club as huge and demanding as ours see Barton!!

We can't afford to have players taking a year to settle imo we need them to hit the ground running I don't see what's wrong with that.

Even great Rangers players such as Hateley and Wilkins took time to settle. If they're good enough their ability will come through in the end.

Earl of Leven
15-11-2016, 10:43
Couldny gie a flying **** who they grew up supporting!

Mmmm, interesting.

I do....especially the vermin who have been our sworn blood enemies for over a century. Oh well...

supergers07
15-11-2016, 10:44
Mmmm, interesting.

I do....especially the vermin who have been our sworn blood enemies for over a century. Oh well...
remain calm anyway, can't see these guys being on our radar anyway.

Leo_Ger
15-11-2016, 10:45
Starting your career in a poor league doesn't mean you're destined to be a poor player throughout your career.

There's been plenty of players who've started in the LOI and moved on to bigger and better things.

The interest from teams who have more resources and are competing at a higher level than us suggests both players have been identified as having the potential to step up by more than just us.

mayfairblue2
15-11-2016, 10:49
Dundalk is a horrible,bitter town.

Earl of Leven
15-11-2016, 10:49
The problem is that we need to spot early, and build relationships and we can't outbid anyone on wages if they are at level of scum, or English championship...we CAN attract players but not if it's just down to money.

Valley Bluenose
15-11-2016, 10:57
So you are happy to sign players out a part time league and believe that these types of signings would help us challenge?
Not a chance, hopefully all just paper talk, same with Jai 'rebel rebel' Quitongo.

Is that what I said? If so, where?

I pointed out that in post #19 you appeared to agree that 'we had no cash to spend and that this is our market'. You then went on to indicate we would be wasting our time signing players at a level we COULD afford, in particular these two. So, who, and from what market, do you want us to sign players? I suggested you might be hinting at better quality Bosmans and pointed out our recent 'history' with these guys. I never touted signing these players - I have no idea of their quality (and I doubt you do either) - but I know they've had good reviews for their performances in Europe this season.

My primary thrust was if you agree we're skint and can't afford better then what do you suggest? Don't sign anybody until we can afford what we want/need(that's a valid argument if they aren't going to improve us)? I see you suggesting we sign '1 or 2 centre-backs' on another thread.:D

On a different tack, I've no idea why this thread seems to have sidetracked into a discussion about their Manager. It's not him - thankfully - that we are interested in.:(

uddingstonbluenose
15-11-2016, 10:59
His Derry City team took 5 off Motherwell in UEFA cup did they not? Probably what attracted him to the pars.

Think it was Gretna, but, the match was at Fir Park.

Deacon_Frost
15-11-2016, 11:02
Eh???

No he didn't behave yourself.

Butcher6
15-11-2016, 11:23
Even great Rangers players such as Hateley and Wilkins took time to settle. If they're good enough their ability will come through in the end.

With all due respect these two were England internationals and played for Milan and others there is no comparison imo.

We are signing two boys nobody had heard of until this season's europa league I may be wrong but I doubt any of these boys were being watched by us before this season.

numberoneallover
15-11-2016, 12:19
not heard of them but seem's to be the fire power behind their european run

wsb&warmy
15-11-2016, 13:18
My mate who has played in Ireland fairly recently and still follows their league closely is of the opinion that Horgan is a very good player who'd be a great signing but reckons he'll be surprised if we manage to get him as he thinks will get a move to England. He says Boyle was rubbish when he played there but has improved massively, just as his international call-up suggests.

1960bear
15-11-2016, 14:04
Ach well, we will soon be Red Bull Rangers with a team full of tarriers. That should please a lot of our modern support.:ninja:

Earl of Leven
15-11-2016, 14:24
Ach well, we will soon be Red Bull Rangers with a team full of tarriers. That should please a lot of our modern support.:ninja:

You and I can go and watch FC Rangers 1690 FTP instead.

;-)

Albertz Was King
15-11-2016, 14:26
Horgan looks like a player.

If you like at the ROI national side, they are miles ahead of Scotland in terms of talent and attitude to their football.

I's welcome them if the manager thinks they are good enough, let's face it they will be better than the cloggers in Scotland.

Stavros Flatley
15-11-2016, 16:21
No he didn't behave yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-hfVMKlY84

That's a ripping....... in anyone's language.....:D

Stavros Flatley
15-11-2016, 16:32
EOL will be apoplectic at this..... :D

Reading FC transfer speculation: Rangers linked with Liam Kelly swoop!

Reading FC transfer speculation: Rangers linked with Liam Kelly swoop

Rangers boss Mark Warburton reportedly wants to take the 20-year-old midfielder to Ibrox.

http://i2.getreading.co.uk/incoming/article12153704.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/JS104542495.jpg
Liam Kelly takes on his man.

Rangers have been linked with a move for Reading midfielder Liam Kelly .

According to HITC Sport , the Ibrox club are looking to bolster their midfield options - with Kelly at the top of their list.

Boss Mark Warburton is said to be a big fan of the Republic of Ireland Under-21s international, who has made four appearances so far this season.

Kelly is out of contract at the end of the summer and has yet to sign a new deal at Madejski Stadium.

And remember.... don't shoot the messenger!

finners
15-11-2016, 17:29
Well you never know, in fairness if they improve the team, then I am okay with them. I think they would need to be strong personalities as they would get grief from the other mob..

colinstein57
15-11-2016, 17:49
Well you never know, in fairness if they improve the team, then I am okay with them. I think they would need to be strong personalities as they would get grief from the other mob..

And if they don't hit the ground running, then wait until you hear the grief from our own support.

The boy Horgan looks like a player and would be a good signing if we could push it through.

Teddyjohn
15-11-2016, 18:36
Just what we need......another couple of duffers from Warbs' Watch List.

jackdaniels78
15-11-2016, 18:49
A few months ago we would all have said we have faith in Warburton and McParland but after a few poor signings not really sure what to make of this in all honesty. At some point though we need to seriously step up the quality or we will be fighting for second instead of first for the foreseeable future

sandyt1959
15-11-2016, 18:56

No they didn't. They took five off Gretna who played their home games at Fir Park that season.

bluebrazil
16-11-2016, 21:07

Dundalk is home to some criminals who cannot go back to Northern Ireland. No need to tar the whole town like that.

Anyway Horgan is from Galway and Boyle is from Dublin. It is far more likely they grew up supporting Liverpool or Manchester United.

Both are free. Horgan looks a class player and can easily step up. I'm not sure re Boyle.

Also most players at the top clubs are fulltime now. Dean Shiels can't get in the Dundalk side at the moment and it may be that he recommended them.

loyal_bear
16-11-2016, 22:26

Don't be silly. Follow Follow loves the RoI.

barneybear
16-11-2016, 23:24
There are gems out there if you look hard enough. Vardy was at the mighty Fleetwood and Mahrez was on trial at St Mirren.

I appreciate those two are exceptional examples but you get the point I'm sure.

Charlie Adam. Played for Rangers but no one spotted his ability until Ian Holloway prised him away for £500k. One year later, sold on to Liverpool for £8m

barryhopez
17-11-2016, 09:59
.................................................. ............

Sir Duncan Ferguson
12-12-2016, 18:46
Preston signed both of them today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38265386

nelster
12-12-2016, 18:56

Joe Garner megabucks financed the deal ;)

standardbarger
12-12-2016, 20:15
They might turn out to be bargains but there is also the chance they dont want to come here because of who we are.I will not complain about that.

frankieboy
12-12-2016, 20:17
Just what we need......another couple of duffers from Warbs' Watch List.

FFS there's always one��

pelem
12-12-2016, 23:29
If correct and we are in for Horgan then moh is for the off.

Skip it, just read SDF and his post.

pelem
12-12-2016, 23:34

Ra sellik not gettin two southern Irishmen, what a kerfuffle that is.

They all want tae sign for the fiddlers y'know.