PDA

View Full Version : McCall - Kieran Tierney, I could tell he was the son of Broony

broxloyal
28-03-2016, 20:05
IF Stuart McCall expected Kieran Tierney to be shy and tentative on his first day amongst the senior Scotland squad then he got a shock.

The Celtic defender might be just 18, but he’s fearless.

Tearing into tackles, demanding the ball and fitting straight in, coach McCall could scarcely believe his eyes.

At one point, he thought Tierney was going to launch him with a sliding tackle.

Immediately, the assistant boss linked the youngster’s determination, style and get-up to his club and international skipper Scott Brown.

McCall said: “The first time I saw him up close and personal was on Saturday. I could tell he was the son of Broony.

“He had his shirt sleeves rolled up while everyone else was freezing. He is definitely styling his clothing on his captain and that’s no bad thing.

“I was on the other side at Hampden and he was playing up and down the left and he linked up well with Jamie Murphy.

“A pass got left short and I thought he was going to top me because he came steaming in and he likes a tackle.

“He’s not over-confident and arrogant, not at all, but he has belief. He wants the ball and he has been telling Grant Hanley to give him the ball. That’s good. When I was first called up I was 26.

“I was a bit shy. I was just happy to take a throw-in now and again.

“I can remember Gary McAllister came in at the same time 
as me. Craig Brown said: ‘Can anyone take free-kicks?’

“Gary Mac pushed Gordon Strachan out the way and said: ‘I’ll do it! I’ll do it!’

“But, yeah, Tierney made an impression with his enthusiasm and willingness to get on the ball.”

It’s not just Tierney who has excited McCall.

Strachan’s decision to name two squads for the friendly clashes against Czech Republic and Denmark has provided an opportunity for several young stars to shine and the chance has been grasped.

The manager and his coaching staff have been thrilled with what they’ve watched.

One by one, the fresh faces have lifted spirits, morale and given genuine cause for optimism going forward.

And McCall believes that it was during Strachan’s trip to see the Under-21s where a number of the new call-ups convinced the manager they were worth bringing up to the full squad.

McCall explained: “John McGinn, Olly 
Burke, little Liam Bridcutt in the middle of the park, everyone that has come in has looked good. They couldn’t have done any more. If somebody catches his eye, the manager will have him in his mind.

“John, for example, was one from the time Strachan came up here to join the Under-21s for four days training.

“Now, John has had a couple of good games against Hearts and has had a decent season, but Gordon had made up his mind from what he had seen in those training sessions that he was going to be in the next squad.

“When Andy Robertson came he hadn’t played that many games for the Under-21s but he did exactly the same. He went past a couple of players and whipped a ball in.

“Wow! Straight away that spark got him in the team.

“Gordon will do what he thinks is right if somebody catches his eye.

“During those sessions, the boy Burke got the ball, knocked it by somebody and then left them for dead. We ain’t got that. We’ve got pace but not pace and power.

“Matt Phillips did well in the short period that he was on. So did Tony Watt. Without getting carried away, he did fine. So did Barry Bannan, he added quality in the middle of the park.”

McCall’s enthusiasm was telling.

Not one to waffle and dish out false praise, the coach’s excitement bodes well for Scotland and the feeling which seeps out of Mar Hall is that they 
wish World Cup 2018 qualification started tonight.

That’s not a major frustration but Strachan is desperate to ensure the competitive edge required to each Russia is instilled into the squad right here and now and the 1-0 win over the Czechs offered instant dividend.

McCall said: “It was encouraging. We have to bear in mind how we did with a mixed side, but you can take positives from the game right through from the goalie to the subs. We can look back at that game and edit bits for the new lads that have come in for Tuesday.

“We changed things at half-time in terms of putting more pressure on. The ball had broken down in our possession five or six times in the first-half when we tried to play a first-touch pass.

“We looked far better when we took the ball and then used it.

“It might be difficult for us to get the supporters up for anything at this moment in time but on the playing side that is the key.

“We want to get a friendly mentality out. Even if you have 30 or 40 caps, every time you pull a jersey on it is a privilege.

“Go and make a mark on it, don’t treat it as a friendly. Make sure you are in that first squad for the qualifiers.

“Even if we go and beat Denmark 2-0 or 3-0, I don’t think we are going to grasp the nation.

“I wish we could fast forward into the qualifiers but we can’t.

“When we go and play those friendlies in June, and everyone else it preparing for the Euros, it will be tough mentally.

“But in our little circle, we have to make sure these lads have a clear message about what we are after.”

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-coach-stuart-mccall-thought-7640081#xRxu7MlC96lGr4wK.99

GBTQ
28-03-2016, 20:09
Alright Stuart it was a friendly ffs. The new players brought in are at an even lower standard to what was there in the group stages.

Strachan will be bagged before we complete the first round of games. Certainty

jackdaniels78
28-03-2016, 20:10
He's enthusiastic and doesn't feel the cold, should be straight in the team.

Everything about this Scotland setup is so amateur

subversive_bear
28-03-2016, 20:13
Son of Broony. Cringe.

papasmurf
28-03-2016, 20:13
'Son of broony'. So much about that makes me scared ;)

Radioactive Man
28-03-2016, 20:14
Looks a good wee player. Glad he's not got an Irish Granny :)

Derek Trotter
28-03-2016, 20:16
Thankfully he didnt get the managers gig full time for us

He desperately loves to cuddle up to the tims

Westend
28-03-2016, 20:17
'Son of broony'. So much about that makes me scared ;)

So the tramps have yet another hacking bassa who gets away murder.

dh1963
No mention of his football ability...

Jaws II
Compare these comments to what MW says and it is unbelievable that these idiots are in management.
Everything they say is cringeworthy and is the management talk in Scotland of about 40 years ago. We will also fail with dinosaurs like this.

revsween
28-03-2016, 20:19
Pass the sick bucket

nelster
Scotland havent qualified since you retired Stuart

Ask yourself why

CathkinHi
Lego Mini Me

kingsburyblue
28-03-2016, 20:20
How does MacCall see Broon as anything more than a hatchet man with limited skill

Junior Leggo eater must be delighted to be named after the most overrated "player" in Scottish football

Dunantblue
28-03-2016, 20:21
Rangers pre Warburton.

That bad.

Cranky
28-03-2016, 20:22
Talk the non-entities in the squad up all you want Stuart, they won't be qualifying for a major tournament any time soon. And for all this little c0ck sockets enthusiasm he shouldn't have been picked before Wallace, or McGinn before holt or mackay

georgeclooney
28-03-2016, 20:25
Pass the sick bucket

Can I share it with you. Total vomit inducing crap that only the Tartan Trannies will lap up .

tauntonbear
28-03-2016, 20:30
Sums up why Scotland wouldn't qualify for anything even if they were the only Team in the Group.
Praise Be The Hammerthrowers. Rolls up his sleeves even when it's freezing ffs.
Until that sort of Manager is a thing of the past we'll do nothing.

Dunantblue
28-03-2016, 20:32
And every time Warburton suggests something is amiss with the game in this football cess pit, its "burn the witch" time.

jdilla
28-03-2016, 20:35
McCall's vernacular and turn of phrase is so embarrassing. I have no idea how he could command respect from any player

superger
28-03-2016, 20:36
McCall should hang his head in shame parroting bullshit like that to keep himself in a job at the SFA.

Northampton Lodger
28-03-2016, 20:39
First to the bar, first in the kebab shop, first on the karaoke and last to bed. Bring on Brazil.

pelem
28-03-2016, 20:40
IF Stuart McCall expected Kieran Tierney to be shy and tentative on his first day amongst the senior Scotland squad then he got a shock.

The Celtic defender might be just 18, but he’s fearless.

Tearing into tackles, demanding the ball and fitting straight in, coach McCall could scarcely believe his eyes.

At one point, he thought Tierney was going to launch him with a sliding tackle.

Immediately, the assistant boss linked the youngster’s determination, style and get-up to his club and international skipper Scott Brown.

McCall said: “The first time I saw him up close and personal was on Saturday. I could tell he was the son of Broony.

“He had his shirt sleeves rolled up while everyone else was freezing. He is definitely styling his clothing on his captain and that’s no bad thing.

“I was on the other side at Hampden and he was playing up and down the left and he linked up well with Jamie Murphy.

“A pass got left short and I thought he was going to top me because he came steaming in and he likes a tackle.

“He’s not over-confident and arrogant, not at all, but he has belief. He wants the ball and he has been telling Grant Hanley to give him the ball. That’s good. When I was first called up I was 26.

“I was a bit shy. I was just happy to take a throw-in now and again.

“I can remember Gary McAllister came in at the same time 
as me. Craig Brown said: ‘Can anyone take free-kicks?’

“Gary Mac pushed Gordon Strachan out the way and said: ‘I’ll do it! I’ll do it!’

“But, yeah, Tierney made an impression with his enthusiasm and willingness to get on the ball.”

It’s not just Tierney who has excited McCall.

Strachan’s decision to name two squads for the friendly clashes against Czech Republic and Denmark has provided an opportunity for several young stars to shine and the chance has been grasped.

The manager and his coaching staff have been thrilled with what they’ve watched.

One by one, the fresh faces have lifted spirits, morale and given genuine cause for optimism going forward.

And McCall believes that it was during Strachan’s trip to see the Under-21s where a number of the new call-ups convinced the manager they were worth bringing up to the full squad.

McCall explained: “John McGinn, Olly 
Burke, little Liam Bridcutt in the middle of the park, everyone that has come in has looked good. They couldn’t have done any more. If somebody catches his eye, the manager will have him in his mind.

“John, for example, was one from the time Strachan came up here to join the Under-21s for four days training.

“Now, John has had a couple of good games against Hearts and has had a decent season, but Gordon had made up his mind from what he had seen in those training sessions that he was going to be in the next squad.

“When Andy Robertson came he hadn’t played that many games for the Under-21s but he did exactly the same. He went past a couple of players and whipped a ball in.

“Wow! Straight away that spark got him in the team.

“Gordon will do what he thinks is right if somebody catches his eye.

“During those sessions, the boy Burke got the ball, knocked it by somebody and then left them for dead. We ain’t got that. We’ve got pace but not pace and power.

“Matt Phillips did well in the short period that he was on. So did Tony Watt. Without getting carried away, he did fine. So did Barry Bannan, he added quality in the middle of the park.”

McCall’s enthusiasm was telling.

Not one to waffle and dish out false praise, the coach’s excitement bodes well for Scotland and the feeling which seeps out of Mar Hall is that they 
wish World Cup 2018 qualification started tonight.

That’s not a major frustration but Strachan is desperate to ensure the competitive edge required to each Russia is instilled into the squad right here and now and the 1-0 win over the Czechs offered instant dividend.

McCall said: “It was encouraging. We have to bear in mind how we did with a mixed side, but you can take positives from the game right through from the goalie to the subs. We can look back at that game and edit bits for the new lads that have come in for Tuesday.

“We changed things at half-time in terms of putting more pressure on. The ball had broken down in our possession five or six times in the first-half when we tried to play a first-touch pass.

“We looked far better when we took the ball and then used it.

“It might be difficult for us to get the supporters up for anything at this moment in time but on the playing side that is the key.

“We want to get a friendly mentality out. Even if you have 30 or 40 caps, every time you pull a jersey on it is a privilege.

“Go and make a mark on it, don’t treat it as a friendly. Make sure you are in that first squad for the qualifiers.

“Even if we go and beat Denmark 2-0 or 3-0, I don’t think we are going to grasp the nation.

“When we go and play those friendlies in June, and everyone else it preparing for the Euros, it will be tough mentally.

“But in our little circle, we have to make sure these lads have a clear message about what we are after.”

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-coach-stuart-mccall-thought-7640081#xRxu7MlC96lGr4wK.99

He'll end up the same way as that other nutjob Kennedy who didnae know a tackle from an assault.

earlcmoonbrand
28-03-2016, 20:44

One of mates was doing his coaching badges at Inverclyde and the guest coach was the magnificent edifice that is Craig Brown. He treated them all to a two hour lecture (complete with video) of his ten favourite throw ins. The following day they were treated to Craig's ten favourite kick offs. It was every bit as mind numbingly banal and witless as it sounds.

sensiblesteve
28-03-2016, 20:44
The next player to be given the £10 million rated myth from Celtic and their friendly media

scozia
28-03-2016, 20:46
Collectively we rangers fans have had our eyes opened on how easy it is to take a team of under achievers and with the correct training and tactics make them play entertaining football and win 9 times out of 10.

the rest of Scottish football has seen this and will do everything in their power to prevent this getting anywhere near the national team as it's now seen as the rangers way.

until there is an air of professionalism in the SFA then the national team will keep failing and i expect an embarrassment during the WC qualifiers.

Dunantblue
28-03-2016, 20:47
The only journalist I've read or heard being remotely critical of Strachan is the corduroy bandit. He has been clear that Strachan should have gone after the last qualifying group.

thetoptier
28-03-2016, 20:49
Not one to waffle and dish out false praise

having read the quotes that's not actually ****ing true is it?

Bowery Boys
28-03-2016, 20:53
Kieran Tierney meet Martyn Waghorn. The man who is going to tear you a third arsehole.

amabluestar
28-03-2016, 20:59
Kieran Tierney meet Martyn Waghorn. The man who is going to tear you a third arsehole.

Next season.:(

Vidmar
28-03-2016, 21:03
The Tims have no assets to punt after Biton's form nosedived, hence the clamour to talk this kid up, fifteen games into his career.

McLaughlin was promoting a feature on Twitter where he "visits the Celtic training centre that produced Kieran Tierney."

Very sad and very predictable. The new Forrest/Crainey/Healy/Miller/Burchill/Lynch etc.

amabluestar
28-03-2016, 21:03
The only journalist I've read or heard being remotely critical of Strachan is the corduroy bandit. He has been clear that Strachan should have gone after the last qualifying group.

You should have listened to DJ on radio catolica tonight.
Slammed Strapon for failure to get Scotland to the Euro's this summer.

tauntonbear
28-03-2016, 21:09
One of mates was doing his coaching badges at Inverclyde and the guest coach was the magnificent edifice that is Craig Brown. He treated them all to a two hour lecture (complete with video) of his ten favourite throw ins. The following day they were treated to Craig's ten favourite kick offs. It was every bit as mind numbingly banal and witless as it sounds.

Not being cheeky about Brown here but I thought I'd read somewhere that he had dementia now ? Presumably the Coaching course was a while ago ?

s_mac
28-03-2016, 21:13
'son of broony', good lord stuart.

billywizz
28-03-2016, 21:20
"Not one to waffle and dish out false praise"

I'm pishing myself at this

GioLoyal
28-03-2016, 21:30
That article is a total cringe.

The Defender
28-03-2016, 21:42
The Scotland setup is amateurish in the extreme. All this jokey stuff going on at the moment is just wrong. We have just failed to qualify for the Euros with every other home nation on their way. It should be head down and displaying determination but no, it's all Brooney this, Brooney that. As for the size of the squad, just shows Strachan has no clue what he's doing.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-03-2016, 21:45
Hey great.

We'll see how hard he is when he rebounds off Waghorn next season.

bluenosebazza
28-03-2016, 21:49
He's enthusiastic and doesn't feel the cold, should be straight in the team.

Son of Broony. Cringe.
That about sums the whole thing up for me.

bob1873
28-03-2016, 21:49

Why is it guys like mccoll feel the need to cosy up to the scum? Why can't one of them just tell it how it really is?

Pa Bear
28-03-2016, 21:55
His head has been turned working with all these tarriers !

Scotty2Dope
28-03-2016, 21:56
Everything coming out of this Scotland set up is utterly embarrassing. For me it was summed up when comparing our set up to Iceland and Ricky Sbragia had no idea how Iceland had managed to turn around their nations game.

It needs a complete overhaul of Warburton proportion to rid the dinosaurs in charge.

ekbear
28-03-2016, 21:58

Nuremberg Keevins has said a few times on Snyde that chesney should have been bagged after failure to qualify. He also said he doesn't hold out much hope of strapon being in post after the England game.

TrueBlueRab
28-03-2016, 22:09
The next player to be given the £10 million rated myth from Celtic and their friendly media

He'll soon be worth as much as Izzaguirre .....

No hang he is the new Izzaguirre, but better. He's a shining example of how good the roar is at coaching.

In fact now that they will probably fall over the line in a one horse race the whole squad plus Ronny and coaching staff are worth zillions again.

stayfor90mins
28-03-2016, 22:14

You really have to laugh at this, I'm surprised he didn't talk you through his top ten corners also, he is an idiot of man

the_brunton_bear
28-03-2016, 22:16
Thank the Lord McCall never got the managers job.After watching Motherwell humiliate us last year and now listen to the crap he spouts he is definitely a bullet dodged

gourockblue50
28-03-2016, 22:18

Heidless chicken status. Same as Da Broon.

ThenNowForever
28-03-2016, 22:25
Has anyone in the Scotland set up actually watched Tierney? Likes to fling himself needlessly into challenges to knock the ball out for thrown ins when he could easily retain possession with a standing tackle and is completely lost when he tries to take a full back on. Laughable he's in ahead of Wallace.

He's like the wee full back you played against at under 12s level. And there were multiple versions of him.

CaptainCourageous
28-03-2016, 22:25
The Republic of Scotland. Rancid footballing association run by bheggars, full of tramps, even Rangers men have fallen for it.

Gladly never see a Rangers player play for that shower ever again, unless the fenians are removed from top to bottom.

That article is disgusting and sums up Scottish football. The lad Robertson at Hull has more class and ability in his left bollock than this tramp will ever have.

Just wait until we face the bheggars, watch the likes of Brown, Tiernan, Mulgrew... lose the plot.

biggee
28-03-2016, 23:13

My immediate reaction as well

rinosprayer
28-03-2016, 23:17
Nuremberg Keevins has said a few times on Snyde that chesney should have been bagged after failure to qualify. He also said he doesn't hold out much hope of strapon being in post after the England game.

Unfortunately the numpties of the tartan army think he is doing a great job in hugely difficult circumstances.

That we were beaten for third place by the prehistroric football of martin o'neil says everything. Still, provided you can still go to friendlies abroad and piss in the street while singing doh a deer then i guess the world's a lovely place.

Oosy troosers
28-03-2016, 23:25

I remember a game on telly where Brown was co-commentating.

Somebody hit a rasping rising shot that went a yard over the bar, Mr Brown informed us all "If he had been 5 yards further forward it would have been a goal".

A f ucking football genius oor Craig was.

macsloyal
28-03-2016, 23:36
McCall was the type of player that Brown has tried and failed to be. A real shame to see him blowing smoke up the arse of shite like Brown and some no mark mhank left back.

suramericaranger
29-03-2016, 01:06
McCall was the type of player that Brown has tried and failed to be. A real shame to see him blowing smoke up the arse of shite like Brown and some no mark mhank left back.

Correct on that one mate on all counts.

basiltherat
29-03-2016, 01:16
Stunned the national manager had to ask if anyone could take free kicks. Is that not the sort of thing he should be aware of when picking a squad. No wonder Scotland are shite.

Jimlad150
29-03-2016, 01:38
Even if we go and beat Denmark 2-0 or 3-0, I don’t think we are going to grasp the nation.

you will grasp the idiots who were singing Strachan's name when we were gubbing Gibraltar. However there are real football fans who know that he and his team are a bunch of failures who failed to end 3rd in a group featuring Ireland who are a completely dire footballing nation and lost to Georgia who at that point had only won about 5 home games since the last time they played Scotland in a qualifier which was about 7 years apart

He will be sacked if Scotland get off to a terrible start in the forthcoming WC qualifiers or he'll be sacked when they inevitably lose to England in that group

pelem
29-03-2016, 06:47
I think he means son of a mong.

Stuart, yer fuukin taking the piss stop it.

si72
29-03-2016, 06:57
Pandering to the taigs.

GodStruth
29-03-2016, 07:06
The Scotland situation is like ours under Green/Ashley. While idiots are in charge of the game you have next to no chance.

The snake's head has to be removed for there to be real progress

DavieSnooker
29-03-2016, 08:30
No t a single mention of his actual footballing ability.

No wonder McCall can't get a job that isn't picking Gordon Strachan's comes in training.

The Big Cheese
29-03-2016, 08:40
...and to think some wanted this indivudual to manage our club!!

JohnK1972
29-03-2016, 09:19
All this lavishing of praise for someone who rolls his sleeves up and (big wow) actually asks for the ball - in an international team mind you - is reminiscent of the days of Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown wanking each other silly over the guys in their squads who were first to pick up the kit hampers on the way to the bus.
Feckin laughable! 😀

Top_Cat
29-03-2016, 09:24
So, he likes the cold and enjoys wearing the same gear as Lego eater, well, that's me satisfied

Shambles. From to bottom

MourinhosGhost
29-03-2016, 09:32
What's with this ****ing Scott Brown circle jerk?

Alcatraz Loyal
29-03-2016, 10:08
That interview makes me even more glad we didn't get McCall on a permanent basis, which we probably would have if he had won the playoff final last May. Seems a silly thing to say on its own but losing to Murderwell may well have been a blessing in disguise.

The Blue Iceberg
29-03-2016, 10:15
Only in this shithole do you get praised for being an aggressive ned, no wonder the snp are doing so well! Complete loser mentality. Sorry Stuart but if you hang about with scabby dogs you will get fleas!

barryhopez
29-03-2016, 10:22
Stuart McCall insulting Tierney with that comment.........?

Colonel Mitchelburne
29-03-2016, 10:59
Looks a good wee player. Glad he's not got an Irish Granny :)

If the Irish had to find one they would :-)

jdilla
29-03-2016, 11:03
"Clarky", "Shielsy", "Lawsy", "Broony"

McCall is 51! Someone really needs to have a word with him about the crap nicknames

gertilidie
29-03-2016, 11:44
I really hope that the author of this piece made that quote up because it's cringeworthy shite

C'mon Stuart , get a fųckin grip

tazzabear
29-03-2016, 12:03
Alright Stuart it was a friendly ffs. The new players brought in are at an even lower standard to what was there in the group stages.

Strachan will be bagged before we complete the first round of games. Certainty

You'll know this is just the start of the build up to "£10m Kieran Tierney".

lanark bear
29-03-2016, 12:46
That interview makes me even more glad we didn't get McCall on a permanent basis, which we probably would have if he had won the playoff final last May. Seems a silly thing to say on its own but losing to Murderwell may well have been a blessing in disguise.

It definitely was a blessing in disguise mate

Fisher23
29-03-2016, 13:19
"Son of Broony"

Our international setup is so bloody amateur.

Mason Boyne
29-03-2016, 13:24

Stuart McCall is a fair guy. I'm sure if the lad had any Stuart would have mentioned it.

toadegree
29-03-2016, 14:30
I get sick of so called "Bears" bumming up the filth.