PDA

View Full Version : Hampden to Glasgow Central - Peterhead game

AlwaysLoyal
28-03-2016, 11:22
Just a travel query before I finalise my plans for this. Its obviously a Sunday so the trains finish up a bit earlier. How confident would you be of my being at Glasgow Central for 18.22 after the game? Its obviously going to be finished by 5pm, but then there's the trophy presentation, should the result go how we all hope and anticipate of course. And then of course i'll need to get back to the town, most likely from the mount florida train station.

Obviously I'd like to stay and watch as much of the celebrations as possible, should there be any celebrations, but what time should I be heading off at the latest.

SpiritOfStruth1
28-03-2016, 11:29
Trains on the high level don't finish up earlier. Mount Florida will be busy, but given how much time you've got, I'd suggest walking back to Central. If you leave before 5.30 you should make it.

supergers07
28-03-2016, 11:31
Walking it is the best bet
Easily done

But if it went to extra time, well....

blueismycolour
28-03-2016, 11:35
All the information you need in the link.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Mount+Florida,+United+Kingdom/Glasgow+Central+Station,+Gordon+Street,+Glasgow+G1 +3SL,+United+Kingdom/data=!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x488846fad24c7aa9:0xce0b9 d4549c619f2!1m2!1m1!1s0x4888469dd79d903b:0xef65bf3 26caa4a56!3e3

AlwaysLoyal
28-03-2016, 12:04
Trains on the high level don't finish up earlier. Mount Florida will be busy, but given how much time you've got, I'd suggest walking back to Central. If you leave before 5.30 you should make it.

I meant trains back south of the border finish earlier. There's one closer to 7 but its an extortionate price so it would be the 6.22pm one or bust. But thanks for the replies. I can see from the link there are trains from Mount flordia every 10-15 minutes, I was just concerned about making it back in time due to that station being really busy. I guess if I can walk it by leaving at 5.30 ish then I'll do so, not a route I've walked before but thats where the directions thing on the iphone comes in handy. :

barryhopez
28-03-2016, 12:12
I meant trains back south of the border finish earlier. There's one closer to 7 but its an extortionate price so it would be the 6.22pm one or bust. But thanks for the replies. I can see from the link there are trains from Mount flordia every 10-15 minutes, I was just concerned about making it back in time due to that station being really busy. I guess if I can walk it by leaving at 5.30 ish then I'll do so, not a route I've walked before but thats where the directions thing on the iphone comes in handy. :

Your only issue would be if there were a delay in the queue to actually get onto the platform at MF.

Just an alternative, if your ticket is for the east stand or round that side of the stadium, walking to Kingspark station may be an option for you.

thedook
28-03-2016, 12:13
I would walk it,done it many times,straight route in to town.Even if you leave Hampden at 5:25 you would make it easily.

adamski
28-03-2016, 12:20
Just a travel query before I finalise my plans for this. Its obviously a Sunday so the trains finish up a bit earlier. How confident would you be of my being at Glasgow Central for 18.22 after the game? Its obviously going to be finished by 5pm, but then there's the trophy presentation, should the result go how we all hope and anticipate of course. And then of course i'll need to get back to the town, most likely from the mount florida train station.

Obviously I'd like to stay and watch as much of the celebrations as possible, should there be any celebrations, but what time should I be heading off at the latest.

You'll have no trouble at all. It's a ten minute journey, even allowing for queues. You could walk it to Central in 40-45 minutes via Cathcart Rd

gertilidie
28-03-2016, 12:26
It's just less that 3 miles

45 min walk at most

mfgorm
28-03-2016, 14:06
Plenty of trains at MtF after a match. Every half hour appox 20 & 50 mins past at KP

AlwaysLoyal
28-03-2016, 14:25
Thanks, I'm feeling a bit more reassured that i'll have plenty time to catch my train now, whether I walk or get a train back to town. Although when I looked again its from QUEEN ST not central. Good job I double checked that before the day or I definitely would have missed it. :D

All Or Nothing
28-03-2016, 21:26
Thanks, I'm feeling a bit more reassured that i'll have plenty time to catch my train now, whether I walk or get a train back to town. Although when I looked again its from QUEEN ST not central. Good job I double checked that before the day or I definitely would have missed it. :D

Double check your train travel my friend, as there are MASSIVE disruptions in and out of Queen Street for the next 6 months,which stared last weekend,due to a total revamp of the approach tunnel to the station,and there are loads of trains being re-routed to the Central.

bigkilty
28-03-2016, 21:53

Trains south leave from central station

WATP

BroomloanWATP
28-03-2016, 22:00

Where are you going? Pretty much everything south and north is leaving from Central for months bar some local services leaving from Queen Street Low Level and Fort William/Oban/Mallaig.

london_bluenose
29-03-2016, 08:38

I highly doubt your train South will leave from Queen Street.

EDIT: Apologies, I just checked and it seems your train is listed as leaving Queen Street bound for Edinburgh where you would then catch another train South.

AlwaysLoyal
29-03-2016, 17:13
Yeah as london_bluenose said, its Queen St to Edinburgh Wavereley and then Southward bound. Usually I get the Virgin train from Central to Carlisle and then catch the Northern Rail to Leeds, but parts of this line seem to have been closed for months due to the winter storms in the North of England.. Those trains weren't on last game I went to in February and they're still not available now, so Edinburgh it is. I wasn't aware of any trains getting diverted from Queen St to Central though, it still says departing from Queen St online.

The Blue Iceberg
29-03-2016, 18:37
Yeah as london_bluenose said, its Queen St to Edinburgh Wavereley and then Southward bound. Usually I get the Virgin train from Central to Carlisle and then catch the Northern Rail to Leeds, but parts of this line seem to have been closed for months due to the winter storms in the North of England.. Those trains weren't on last game I went to in February and they're still not available now, so Edinburgh it is. I wasn't aware of any trains getting diverted from Queen St to Central though, it still says departing from Queen St online.

Would definitely recommend double checking this mate, I think Queen St is closed except for low level.

PS if you are walking it don't stop in for a quick pint in Govanhill whatever you do, a fair few tarrier shitholes full of bams in that dump.

Wiggy1690
29-03-2016, 18:51

With the shambles that is Scotrail/Abelio the safer option would be to jump in a taxi outside Hampden to get you over to Glasgow Central.

Scotrail are too unreliable and always struggle to cope.

deedle
29-03-2016, 18:58
Mount Florida to Central would be the natural choice but the problem is that you can't be sure how many trains will be running and what the length of the queue will be.

As suggested above, the safest way of making sure you catch the train at Queen Street on time would be to walk along Cathcart Road. Make sure to carry an A-Z map (or at least a photocopy) if you are not sure of the route.

Trains from Queen Street to Edinburgh currently leave the Low Level station - entrance for this journey would be by Dundas Street.

I'd allow an hour - the walk will probably be quicker but you don't want to take any risks.

london_bluenose
29-03-2016, 18:59
Would definitely recommend double checking this mate, I think Queen St is closed except for low level.

Yep, the train is showing on National Rail as departing from Platform 9, which is the Low Level.

williewoodburn
29-03-2016, 19:01
Plenty of trains at MtF after a match. Every half hour appox 20 & 50 mins past at KP

At the end of the County v Hibs League up Final the Q's for Mount Florida were down Cathcart Road as far as Battlefield Road. We got a black cab into Georges Square for 15, had to wait half hour for that though. Best plan would be to walk and flag down a passing cab.

wilso10
29-03-2016, 19:02
You could also walk to Crosshill train station (same line as MF) where it should be a little quieter and is closer to town.

Go_Bert_Go
29-03-2016, 19:09
If you are going back to Leeds (as per your location), you might find it easier to go via Preston. Plenty of trains from Central to Preston. The Preston - Leeds train isn't the fastest but you can do it cheap from what I remember.

AlwaysLoyal
30-03-2016, 03:18
If you are going back to Leeds (as per your location), you might find it easier to go via Preston. Plenty of trains from Central to Preston. The Preston - Leeds train isn't the fastest but you can do it cheap from what I remember.

Yeah I've done the Preston route in the past, it's an option for 12.30 kick offs but not 3pm on a Sunday, as you would then need to change again at Picadilly by that time at night.

Guess after the game I'll play it safe and walk up Cathcart road at a brisk pace, or grab a taxi half way up, looks on the maps like a straight path up to clyde street.