PDA

View Full Version : My Hero Does The Half Time Draw--Again

borderbear
31-01-2016, 00:05
Once again Tom Forsyth graces the Ibrox pitch, doing the rising stars draw. I know he is there every week anyway, but always get a buzz seeing the big man back on the pitch.

Rowley Birkin
31-01-2016, 00:15
his testimonial was my first game we beat swansea 6-3 and they kicked autographed volleyballs into the crowd i never got one :(

blamires
31-01-2016, 00:19
One of the best players to ever play for rangers

borderbear
31-01-2016, 00:20
his testimonial was my first game we beat swansea 6-3 and they kicked autographed volleyballs into the crowd i never got one :(
I know Swansea were a decent side, always think it should have been a bigger club.
Don't know if that was the clubs fault or the testimonial committee.
Anyway, I was at it as well.

britain
31-01-2016, 07:40
He scored the first ever Rangers goal I saw in my first ever Rangers match !

This was v Morton at Ibrox on Oct 5th 1974.

Pollok-Loyal
31-01-2016, 07:45
I know Swansea were a decent side, always think it should have been a bigger club.
Don't know if that was the clubs fault or the testimonial committee.
Anyway, I was at it as well.

Remember feeling gutted at the turnout that day,I know the opposition weren't enticing, but TF deserved far more for his services than the amount who turned out.

britain
31-01-2016, 07:45
One of the best players to ever play for rangers

A great central defender and had a great central defensive partnership with the late Colin Jackson in the mid -late 1970s.

These two were Scotland's central defenders during the 1986 Home Championship win over England 2-1 at Hampden.

Tam had a great match saving tackle on Mick Channon in the last minute.

This prompted David Francey commentating for bbc radio Scotland to cover his mike and say to Tommy Docherty : " Some carthorse eh Tommy ! "

Docherty had , before the match, stated that comparing Forsyth to his own Man Utd captain Martin Buchan. This was like comparing a carthorse to a Clydsedale.

britain
31-01-2016, 07:51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIXZwfngcVE

Highlights of 1973 Scottish Cup Final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtDJu_Ge8Sw

Highlights of 1976 Scotland v England game. the great tackle by Tom Forsyth is at 7.46 in.

DAZ1964
31-01-2016, 08:19
Remember feeling gutted at the turnout that day,I know the opposition weren't enticing, but TF deserved far more for his services than the amount who turned out.

Crowd was given as a round 10,000. Think it was a Sunday? Derek Ferguson's debut.

crowthornebear
31-01-2016, 09:36
Crowd was given as a round 10,000. Think it was a Sunday? Derek Ferguson's debut.

I think you are right about debut. We didn't get many large attendances for testimonials around then (JG's was I know), but Sandy 's was a poor turnout against Southampton. More testimonials in those days.
Anyway it was a good Swansea team then, and I remember their defence parting to allow him to score, had earlier missed s chance
WATP

roblawson
31-01-2016, 09:45
Always think of a little saying about him big tam eats soft centres.

dh1963
31-01-2016, 12:29
An old hobby horse of mine, but it annoys me every time a great player from more than 20 years ago does the half time draw and gets hardly any applause from the crowd, many of whom will never have seen him play.
How hard would it have been yesterday to put up a brief summary of Tom Forsyth's Rangers career on the screens, listing appearances, number years with the club, medals won, etc then showed a wee video clip of his winning goal in the 1973 cup final?
Then bring him out on the park.

200000 Heroes
31-01-2016, 12:34
An old hobby horse of mine, but it annoys me every time a great player from more than 20 years ago does the half time draw and gets hardly any applause from the crowd, many of whom will never have seen him play.
How hard would it have been yesterday to put up a brief summary of Tom Forsyth's Rangers career on the screens, listing appearances, number years with the club, medals won, etc then showed a wee video clip of his winning goal in the 1973 cup final?

Exactly. Great servant to the club and that 73 goal alone should forever earn the big man a fabulous reception :D

smokey bear65
31-01-2016, 13:34
Great player my hero jaws eats tims

rangeral
31-01-2016, 13:53

Could be hard afterall that was the game we were 2-0 up in and Forsyth scored a last minute winner!!

ItsInTheNet
31-01-2016, 13:56

That is an excellent idea and one you should maybe suggest to the club.

Pollok-Loyal
31-01-2016, 13:58
I think you are right about debut. We didn't get many large attendances for testimonials around then (JG's was I know), but Sandy 's was a poor turnout against Southampton. More testimonials in those days.
Anyway it was a good Swansea team then, and I remember their defence parting to allow him to score, had earlier missed s chance
WATP

35k turned out on a baltic day for Colin Jacksons v Everton.

MMCGILVRAY
31-01-2016, 13:59
Met him a few times in Club Europe. A gent and always made time to speak to the kids and give autographs.

31-01-2016, 14:11
An old hobby horse of mine, but it annoys me every time a great player from more than 20 years ago does the half time draw and gets hardly any applause from the crowd, many of whom will never have seen him play.How hard would it have been yesterday to put up a brief summary of Tom Forsyth's Rangers career on the screens, listing appearances, number years with the club, medals won, etc then showed a wee video clip of his winning goal in the 1973 cup final? Then bring him out on the park.Whilst I agree with this, there was plenty of older bears that never bothered applauding him, either. Sad.

paisleyprod
31-01-2016, 18:07
Nice guy, still works the club deck hospitality I believe

britain
31-01-2016, 18:59
'Tam Forsyth, he's called Jaws !'
'He's gone Doyle by the baws !'

The opposing players name in the second line was changed from Doyle to Channon at times !

70s Loyal.

brotybear
31-01-2016, 19:00
Could be hard afterall that was the game we were 2-0 up in and Forsyth scored a last minute winner!!

Sorry to have to correct you, but we were never 2-0 up in that match.
It was my first Rangers v Celtic match.
Dalglish scored first for Celtic. Then Derek Parlane equalised, and it remained 1-1 at half time.
We then took the lead through an Alfie Conn goal, before John Greig performed goalkeeping heroics to save on the line after Peter McCloy was beaten. Thankfully in those days there no red cards for such offences. Needless to say Celtic then drew level from the resultant penalty kick taken by George Connelly.
Big Tam then scored his famous winner after Derek Johnstone had hit both posts.
This is still my favourite game against them. An incredible atmosphere from a crowd of 122,714 in the old Hampden Park!

Scotty Boy 1470
31-01-2016, 20:08
A family friend and a
Gentleman