PDA

View Full Version : The Original Fox In The Box - Celtic 0 Rangers 1, Nov '96

omegaman
02-12-2015, 11:40
Off work today and just re-watching this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryb7BAAFaOw

What an absolute cracker it was.

Forgot that Van Vossen missed a second sitter after his infamous open goal gaffe.

SK4
02-12-2015, 11:58
Been watching a few old Rangers clips via YouTube and Rangers match archives on FB and what an absolute privileged it was to watch these players play for our great Club.

Depressing how far we've fallen but hopefully, we can reach those heights again and exceed them!

1972 bear
02-12-2015, 12:04
What a f****n goal from Laudrup!

Got goosebumps watching that and reliving the joy of doing Savco yet again.

omegaman
02-12-2015, 12:44
What a f****n goal from Laudrup!

Got goosebumps watching that and reliving the joy of doing Savco yet again.

It was the usual pattern at that time: Celtic having the lion's share of possession but being unable to break down our defence then, a couple of moments of brilliance from Laudrup, Gascoigne or Albertz and, bam, it was all over.

This game was incredible for the amount of missed chances though.

When Celtic got their penalty at the end, there was a sense of fate about it.

Laudrup had blown a one-on-one to get his second, Van Vossen had passed into infamy for that unforgivable miss and Gascoigne had failed with our own spot kick, but fear not, as a last resort, there was always The Goalie.

Superb as ever that night.

Pooter
02-12-2015, 14:00
An unbelievable game.

As said, it often gets forgotten that VV missed two sitters that night.

WestendGer
02-12-2015, 14:24
The penalty save from the Goalie, incredible. And what he shouts at van hugedonkey too.

Duranman
02-12-2015, 14:24
I seem to remember Albertz being clean through a couple of times also.

c_den
02-12-2015, 16:49
In all honesty should have been 2 - 8 that night we destroyed them and the chances we missed were unreal - would have been a travesty if they'd gotten a draw

grascots
02-12-2015, 17:19
Remember it well. I had a few swally's after that match.

Lawsome
02-12-2015, 17:28
Was 11 and at my mate at the times house with him and his dad (before I knew better :angel:)

Still went tonto when we scored and fell off the couch when The Goalie denied that big gimp.

Twas a good day :)

Son of Le Guen
02-12-2015, 17:54
The amount of one on ones we had in that game was incredible

kilbirnie bear
02-12-2015, 17:58
My left arm was in plaster after an accident at work and after Goram saved the penalty I went nuts,fell and split my head open and got taken away to the First Aid room :)

Baloo72
02-12-2015, 18:22
Laudrup is on another planet, what a joy

crockle creek dingos
02-12-2015, 18:44
Goram shouting at Van Hooijdonk after saving the penalty.....
Goram himself was happy to tell me exactly what he said 😀

Van Klinkerhoffen
02-12-2015, 21:35
Remember it well. I had a few swally's after that match.

You would have needed them to calm you down!

I watched this game in the Argyll pub in Oban - totally nerve wracking match to watch!

200000 Heroes
02-12-2015, 21:52
An unbelievable game.

As said, it often gets forgotten that VV missed two sitters that night.

I had completely forgotten his second sitter. Probably because the firstcomplete sitter was so ****ing unbelievable that it wiped all other recollections except God's goal hahhaha

jmacca1975
02-12-2015, 23:26
I could have sworn that the other sitter was that night! One of my favourite away day memories. Watching that, what a gem Stewart Kerr had!

tanshoes
02-12-2015, 23:49
My left arm was in plaster after an accident at work and after Goram saved the penalty I went nuts,fell and split my head open and got taken away to the First Aid room :)

Brilliant, laughing away here at that. I was in the top tier and remember Laudrup's goal clearly, as well as Van Vossen's miss. Had no recollection of our penalty miss or the number of chances we missed though. Laudrup was magic, Gazza was quite quiet actually ................ and Di Canio was completely posted missing .... the fox contributed more.

scooby
03-12-2015, 00:04
I don't know if I am correct or not but I think I watched that game from the Celtic main stand.....did the bears still get an allocation then or is my memory playing tricks?

I do remember saying to my mate "What a f*cking game" at the final whistle, and after celebrating the win I have never felt as drained after a football game, I was absolutely knackered.

omegaman
03-12-2015, 01:23
I had completely forgotten his second sitter. Probably because the firstcomplete sitter was so ****ing unbelievable that it wiped all other recollections except God's goal hahhaha

I think we were still shaking our head's in disbelief! :eek:

You can see his bottle crash at the second effort.

He's homing in on goal with only the keeper to beat then his earlier howler flashes into mind, his head drops and he shoots weakly at the keeper.

"If I can't stick it in an empty net from six yards out, how the hell I'm gonna beat this guy?"

suramericaranger
03-12-2015, 02:00
We should have scored about 6 that night.

Funny how the 90s myth of 'Rangers defended all night and ran up the park to score' has survived in the minds of some.

VikingBlue
03-12-2015, 20:51
Loved that game, was about 3 rows back from the front in the corner, Godrup scores and one of the boys in the wheelchair in front of us jumps up and out the seat ��

loyal_bear
03-12-2015, 22:22
We should have scored about 6 that night.

Funny how the 90s myth of 'Rangers defended all night and ran up the park to score' has survived in the minds of some.

It's up there with "always cheated never defeated" in the great Timmy book of revisionism.

Galaxy_Ranger
03-12-2015, 22:51
Really enjoyed that, thanks for posting.

Remember watching this as a 14 year old and loving it but now look at it with a completely different perspective.

Laudrup was something else, one thing I noticed that I didn't at the time was him tackling back like that, awesome.

As poor a penalty as your likely to see from Gascoigne.

The Goram save is utterly superb and remember the joy of watching him do it on the night.

Gunther Netzer
03-12-2015, 23:03
Brian Laudrup and Andy Goram supreme.

janefieldbear
03-12-2015, 23:23
Unbelievable game, so open yet with so few goals! The game had everything!

Great memories

Eldon26
03-12-2015, 23:26
We had someone off our bus sat in their end at that game, how he didn't give himself away amazes me.

amabluestar
03-12-2015, 23:36
Incredible game, from the magic of Laudrup to the outstanding Goalie.
Can still see the old man going tonto thinking Van Vossen had scored.
Never seen such a sitter since bud missed in the 71 cup final first game.:(

Corriebear
04-12-2015, 00:23
I was there. An unbelievable experience. Seem to remember there was a fair bit of bother on London Road after the game as we celebrated. :)

Aldomann
04-12-2015, 00:28
Haha brilliant forgot all about that game,cheers for that!!