PDA

View Full Version : Brentford's team selections 2014/15 - dispelling a falsehood.

Standards1972
24-09-2015, 20:47
A theme since the undoubted disappointment of Tuesday night is a worry among our support about the managers disregard for the defensive side of the game and how this could hinder us going forward. This has ranged from reasonable concern and comment to outright 'drama queenery' and has also been picked up on by the downright lazy say what you see world of Scottish football journalism.

So to get an idea if our new gaffer is as stubborn and single minded as some are suggesting I had a look at the team selection of Brentford - the team he led to a 5th placed finish in the Championship last year.

They showed that Warburton almost always selected Jonathan Douglas, an experienced anchor man known for leadership and defensive qualities, John Eustace anyone? From August until December Warburton mostly played Jota, Judge, Pritchard and Dallas in front of Douglas, results were up and down which you might expect from a newly promoted team and they did suffer a few doings to Middlesborough and Norwich.

However, Warburton then introduced Toumani Diagouraga to the side, a tall athletic midfielder in the Vieria mould who Warburton described as a player who 'can keep the shape and pick up the second ball'. Douglas and Diagouraga played the majority of the season together from here on in, anchoring the midfield with 3 attacking players in front of them. This team took them to the playoffs and saw them record impressive victories over Norwich, Bournemouth and a rout of Fulham.

So having analysed Brentford last season, I have no doubt the manager understands the importance of the defensive side of the game and we can expect to see a genuine anchor man in his team before long and maybe 2 in certain games.

I'm sure we'll be fine.

HateleyScores
24-09-2015, 20:52
Nice bit of research done, and an interesting read into the Gaffers work at Brentford.

For what it's worth, the team is still coming together, and I would argue that the defence is the most difficult group to "gel" as a cohesive unit.

luisfernandez
24-09-2015, 20:53
Interesting read mate, cheers. It's always worth remembering that MW will be learning all the time too. Your info about him adapting to the demands of the Championship reinforces that.

53easy
24-09-2015, 20:54
I just find trying to compare Brentford with Rangers as utterly pointless.

Rangers need to win every week while facing sides that are happy to play 5-5-0 and scrape and harass for a point

The championship is a competitive league in which every side is capable of beating each other.
Scottish football is nothing like that for us

Bowery Boys
24-09-2015, 20:58
Toumani Diagouraga is supposedly a Rangers target. Would be just the type we need in the midfield.

Standards1972
24-09-2015, 21:01
double post

Standards1972
24-09-2015, 21:01

Rangers need to win every week while facing sides that are happy to play 5-5-0 and scrape and harass for a point

The championship is a competitive league in which every side is capable of beating each other.

It wasn't a comparison. I wanted to see if his team selections were consistently all out attack regardless of opposition.

They weren't.

scooby
24-09-2015, 21:02

This why Rangers have been playing with a more all out attacking system, we do not really need two defensive minded midfielders for this league.

I have no doubt we will adapt as we go on.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
24-09-2015, 21:05
I don't think there's a doubt we'll have one for the start of next season.

DavieSnooker
24-09-2015, 21:06
According to FF, Wilson & Kiernan are shite.

Now, does anyone on here genueinly think that Warburton could think that the 2 centre halves that he brought in are shite?

We're a 3 month old team. OF COURSE we'll get better.

53easy
24-09-2015, 21:06
It wasn't a comparison. I wanted to see if his team selections were consistently all out attack regardless of opposition.

They weren't.

I'm more concerned about us learning to break down teams that have no interest in going past the half way line

Brentford's games last year were end to end affairs as the stats tell you - 78 goals for 59 against

Standards1972
24-09-2015, 21:12
I think a genuine anchor man (not a centre half in midfield) with Halliday ahead of him with one from Holt/Zelalem/Law and we'd be solid enough until we can bring in more players.

Ultimately we got it wrong the other night but it's a mistake that been made before by teams who think they can out football the oppostion, see Wenger playing Arteta and Cazorla as holding midfielders Vs Zagreb the other week.

chilebear
24-09-2015, 21:33
Toumani Diagouraga is a january target.

londonloyal
24-09-2015, 22:31
According to FF, Wilson & Kiernan are shite.

Now, does anyone on here genueinly think that Warburton could think that the 2 centre halves that he brought in are shite?

We're a 3 month old team. OF COURSE we'll get better.

No one is saying they are shite. BUT....I don't see a lot of evidence that they can cover if and when we do have to defend. Am I wrong?

The Big Cheese
24-09-2015, 22:34
No one is saying they are shite. BUT....I don't see a lot of evidence that they can cover if and when we do have to defend. Am I wrong?

I don't think they're working as a pair.

For me it's time to try Keirnan/Ball,what have we to lose?

basiltherat
24-09-2015, 23:56
Rangers are not the only team in world football to face opposition that parks the bus.
I am confident we have a manager smart enough to adapt and solve the problem

Dunantblue
25-09-2015, 00:04
Our Boss isn't the finished product, and he is learning just as our team are.

This has been a massive step up for him

But he is a fantastic coach and he has a very clear vision and ethos

We really really need to stick with it. I'm glad we got this lesson t this stage and I am confident lessons will be learned

It's been massively reassuring to see how balanced and level headed the reaction has been to Tuesday.

This next league game is a big un though

I think we'll learn a bit more by the reaction

Dunantblue
25-09-2015, 00:05
I don't think they're working as a pair.

For me it's time to try Keirnan/Ball,what have we to lose?

We are nowhere even close to the position where we have to be thinking that way mate

Dunantblue
25-09-2015, 00:08

You are calling it as you see it.

It's a touch early to completely dismiss them though. Reasonably

melbbear
25-09-2015, 07:04
It's the way the Dutch used to play ,wants to attack as a team and defend as a team . Nothing knew about it. Just the matter of getting the right players and the defensive midfielder is what we lack at the moment. The thing is only been together just over three months ,wee can only improve. Also with a young team it's harder to get constancy . Time will tell.

Gazza wazza
25-09-2015, 08:02
Toumani Diagouraga is supposedly a Rangers target. Would be just the type we need in the midfield.

He has played every game in the league thus far according to soccerway. Burnley paid 9 mill for Andre Gray who was another
huge part of Brentford.

Imo its an unrealistic target, I cant see us spending millions on a specific player and no I'm not suggesting he will go for anywhere
near Andre Grays price.

oneraywilkins
25-09-2015, 08:25
The manager and SDW have also said that this is a long term project. Let's not forget what they inherited in playing staff and infrastructure. New partnerships in the early stages and 2 windows to go before our first SPL game. We are going to take a few hits along the way.

Deacon_Frost
25-09-2015, 08:37
We have to trust Warburton and Weir they will be a great foil for each other. make no mistake the magic man will bring home title no 55 the guy probably stays awake at night thinking about his masterplan.

Jaws II
25-09-2015, 09:04
The problem is we don't have these type of midfielders.

tatmans
25-09-2015, 09:07
Interesting read. Thanks for posting

Bowery Boys
25-09-2015, 09:08
The problem is we don't have these type of midfielders.

I'm sure it will be addressed in January.

If we want to have a decent run in the Scottish then we'll need to add a defensive midfielder. That is abundantly clear.

Jaws II
25-09-2015, 09:16
I hope so. I also think we defo need a pacey goalscorer also.
For next season depending on what happens with Odowa and Ball we will need a creative midfielder a centre half and a left back who can defend better than Wallace.

Cannavaro
25-09-2015, 12:59
He has built a side that is playing attactive football and looking capable of winning most weeks which will win this league and get us promoted, I have no doubt Warburton will recognise the need to be stronger defensively going forward into next season

jimbear
25-09-2015, 16:20
If Eustace was fit he would be signed and playing. The fact that he is still at Ibrox indicates that the manager knows what is needed. Until Tuesday night we had been able to get by without someone playing that role. I don't think that the lesson of Tuesday will be wasted on the manager.