PDA

View Full Version : John Spencer

Dunantblue
20-09-2015, 00:36
Watching the NYC v San Jose game on Sky. John Spencer's co commentary is really excellent. Intelligent, informative about the teams and league. Exactly what you want from an expert analyst. Puts many of his colleagues who co commentate on the British leagues to shame

Lebowski
20-09-2015, 00:48
I grew up with him and without going into detail he really didn't have the easiest time of it. I heard him a couple of months ago and it was good to hear him sounding so well.

PortlandBear
20-09-2015, 07:00
knows the game inside out. Agree great to hear someone who knows what they are talking about.

Dumbarton Ger
20-09-2015, 07:06
Find him very informative and knows exactly what he is talking about. Reminds me of Neil McCann

sandbear
20-09-2015, 08:37
Saw his first game for us a friendly at Kilmarnock I think he had just turned 16, lot of pressure on young shoulders.

Blue Lew
20-09-2015, 09:03
Find him very informative and knows exactly what he is talking about. Reminds me of Neil McCann
Me too, always comes across very well.
I played against his school team a couple of times but later on he only watched from the sidelines which I thought was strange but the next time I saw him was when he was playing for Rangers :)

I bumped into him in Princes Sq just before the treble winning SC final of 1993. He was back from Chelsea (I think???) to watch the game. Definitely a good lad.

smkz23
20-09-2015, 12:22
Starred in this epic advert for Alaska Airlines.

http://youtu.be/Zlu-AajY6Ug

FernandoTorres
20-09-2015, 12:30
I was actually thinking the same thing when I was watching it last night.

Called some tactical tweaks he thought should have happened, which never, and they resulted in goals for the other team.

Seems to be very into the American football lingo though :D.

Shotas_dance_teacher
20-09-2015, 21:18
Read an interview with him recently. He was talking about the best players he had played with an against. Interestingly he named Lorenzo Amoruso as one of the best he had played against. Said he was so physical and read the game brilliantly. Quite a compliment for big Amo considering all the top class players he had played with/against.

Ev0xx
20-09-2015, 21:25
The Scottish Media Test:

Can he read? Disnae matter
Can he write? Disnae matter
Can he string a coherent sentence together? Disnae matter
Is he bankrupt? Who cares
Is he a compulsive gambler? Who cares
Is he involved in illegal land deals? Aye but he is innocent
Did he play for ra hoops? The Bhoys, ra sellik? Give him a microphone.

unionjock2
21-09-2015, 12:32
Starred in this epic advert for Alaska Airlines.

http://youtu.be/Zlu-AajY6Ug

That's a brilliant advert, never seen that before :D

Katemclarenrfc
21-09-2015, 12:40
Nobody as mentioned that he was a Celtic fan yet(not that it matters).

Or am I making that up???????

Dunantblue
21-09-2015, 13:40

Is he? It's rarely if ever been apparent

Katemclarenrfc
21-09-2015, 13:47
Is he? It's rarely if ever been apparent

When he was playing well with Motherwell he was linked with the tims. I'm sure it was mentioned he was a fan before he joined us as a boy. Lebowski can probably confirm if I'm talking sh!!e or not.

Ev0xx
21-09-2015, 14:16

I know he was a Catholic who signed for us long before Mo Johnston did.

metblu
21-09-2015, 14:38
I know he was a Catholic who signed for us long before Mo Johnston did.
First time I seen him was when Rangers sent up an XI preseason to play Inverness Thistle during Jock Wallace 2nd spell I think. Lad in the crowd was giving him dogs abuse, 'the cry was no John Spencer etc'. Was told to wind his neck in but failed to take heed and two seconds later he got laid out stone cold !!

atj1978
21-09-2015, 16:18

Pretty sure he was a Rangers supporting Catholic

Katemclarenrfc
21-09-2015, 16:29
Pretty sure he was a Rangers supporting Catholic

Cheers m8......... I wasn't sure

orange&blue
21-09-2015, 21:33
His uncle is a horrible republican purveyor of terrorist fanatacism, who frequents a slophole in the immediate southside of glasgow. Who has never spoke to him since the day he signed for Rangers as a teenager.

Thought he was a tim though in his youth, until that day of enlightenment when he signed for the greatest team in the world.

Coza
21-09-2015, 21:43
Ah now it makes sense. Thought the co commentator was providing good insight in the ten minutes I saw but part of me was thinking it was Kevin Gallagher and he is usually terrible.

Lebowski
21-09-2015, 22:07
I mentioned earlier he had a difficult upbringing which I'm not going to go into on here other than to say his biological father was a bluenose and John was not born a tim. It was a tim uncle of his who ran to the Record and sold the story and yes there were some horrible republican types in his family. Did you know when he handed in his Rangers S form to his school(St Ninian's) his headmaster refused to sign it (was a formality then to get your headmaster to sign an S form) until he spoke to Celtic? He sat on the form for a fortnight to give the Celtic scouts a chance to speak to his family however John wouldn't budge and signed for Rangers.

charlie chalk
21-09-2015, 22:16
Wee John did me a turn for tickets a few times, always went out of his way to check I was sorted and always refused any cash or gifts in return. A really good guy who I always found to behave like a real true bear, regardless of any crap I read in the papers or heard third hand.

weemano
21-09-2015, 22:18
Brilliant wee player

When he went to Motherwell I always remember being genuinely worried about playing them

Newlands_loyal
21-09-2015, 22:19
I was in charge [conferring] his 3rd degree into a fraternal organisation many on here are members of. He was still with Chelsea at the time and I had a good conversation afterwards . I have to say he came across as a thoroughly decent guy with none of the up his own arse pretensions that some professional footballers I've met have.

cw3038
21-09-2015, 22:22
His uncle is a horrible republican purveyor of terrorist fanatacism, who frequents a slophole in the immediate southside of glasgow. Who has never spoke to him since the day he signed for Rangers as a teenager.

Thought he was a tim though in his youth, until that day of enlightenment when he signed for the greatest team in the world.
Saw the light and walked away from the dark side.

sd683
21-09-2015, 22:23
I mentioned earlier he had a difficult upbringing which I'm not going to go into on here other than to say his biological father was a bluenose and John was not born a tim. It was a tim uncle of his who ran to the Record and sold the story and yes there were some horrible republican types in his family. Did you know when he handed in his Rangers S form to his school(St Ninian's) his headmaster refused to sign it (was a formality then to get your headmaster to sign an S form) until he spoke to Celtic? He sat on the form for a fortnight to give the Celtic scouts a chance to speak to his family however John wouldn't budge and signed for Rangers.

I've always admired JS but this is tremendous

tam fae cambuslang
21-09-2015, 22:43
I played against John at school football, he was feckin superb as it goes, but re. His bluenose credentials, he used to play fives in castlemilk sports centre with his mates, Owen Coyle included (gorbals crowd I think), we played in the next hall and shared a dressing room, every week without fail he had a Rangers towel to dry himself after his shower, also with the footy banter flying about he always defended the Gers. Top man.

atj1978
21-09-2015, 23:08
When he was around his late teens early 20's he "was friends" with a female friend of mine. A nicer and more genuine guy you couldn't meet. Would often take us all out and not ask for a penny in return (without trying to be flash). Really really good bloke.

roscof
21-09-2015, 23:59
He's billy davies' brother in law

americangraf
22-09-2015, 06:18
Lebowski was Spencer's close friend and knows the real story so anything he says you can take as gospel. Me? I was just the guy who proposed him.lebowski ?was there that night as well .the following morning in ibrox spencer went round glad handing everybody in the place including mccoist. He thought spencer( ( who hadn't told mccoist of his impending membership) was at the wind up and chased caught and dumped spencer fully clothed in the pool/bath.