PDA

View Full Version : The woman's English football team

TheHeebyJeebies
07-07-2015, 23:39
how good are they,good enough for the SPL???

Skyy Bluenose
07-07-2015, 23:42
They would get humped (football wise) by a below average men's amateur team.

TheKillerToad
07-07-2015, 23:43
Not even good enough for the SPFL Division 3 in reality if you were to draw direct comparisons

Enigma
07-07-2015, 23:52
I thought some of the football was quite good and scored some cracking goals,They also don't throw themselves down and roll about the ground feigning injury and look like most if not all of them give their all and quite sporting and really enjoy playing.

Woman's football has came on leaps and bounds in the last few years and it is progressing to a decent standard.

giantchelsea
07-07-2015, 23:54
I thought some of the football was quite good and scored some cracking goals,They also don't throw themselves down and roll about the ground feigning injury and look like most if not all of them give their all and quite sporting and really enjoy playing.

Woman's football has came on leaps and bounds in the last few years and it is progressing to a decent standard.

I agree, although they do have a problem with goalkeepers.

Brian_Fantana
08-07-2015, 00:06
I recon that they're on a par with England u16 level. The u18s would easily beat them.

I'm of the opinion that If the best mens team (Barca) played the best womens team, and they were given a proper incentive, they'd win over 30-0

Pooter
08-07-2015, 00:16
In tennis, the Williams sisters were once beaten by a man ranked 200th in the world.

I'd imagine a similar mauling would take place if a good women's team played even a mediocre men's one.

HBurgh_bear
08-07-2015, 00:19
They say womens football is improving all the time and folk shouldn't compare it to the men's game as it's completely different.

I understand that but I grew up loving football so if it's a completely different game then why not just watch something else...like tennis!

Der Berliner
08-07-2015, 00:38
Will a women hockey / ice hockey / basketball / handball / volleyball team hold their own against their male counterparts of a similar level? Nope. Why should a women footie team?

You would have to check yourself, but for how long do women play football in the way men do? Not to mention professional football. Last time I heard, the Rangers Ladies more or less pay for the privilege to represent our club. And our Ladies have been around since 2008. Only very few teams even here in Germany are full time professionals. So what exactly do people actually expect?

Asking these questions is like comparing fighter planes like the Sopwith Camel (http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/files/images/warbirds-over-wanaka-2004/screensize/wanaka-2004-camel-6.screensize.jpg) to a Supermarine Spitfire (http://7-themes.com/data_images/out/28/6864994-spitfire-wallpaper.jpg) ... because "both are fighter planes".

Irvine96
08-07-2015, 00:48
Think clubs like pollok auchinleck and irvine meadow would beat them comfortably

Virgil Hilts
08-07-2015, 00:51
To me it looks like their running on sand and the ball weighs a ton (they kick like a wean hitting an old bladder), and their goalies seem to be experiencing heavier than normal gravity

Enigma
08-07-2015, 01:14
I agree, although they do have a problem with goalkeepers.First womens football i ever watched on tv was a team called Doncaster bells,They at the time were the Barcelona of womans football and gave quite large humpings to every team they played,The funniest thing about watching back then was always the goalkeepers either dropping the ball,diving the wrong way or diving when the ball was already in the net,corners that they completely missed or dropped over the line and kickouts were sore on the ribs watching them.

But a few years later and the womans game is far far better and more competitive and credit must be given to those who have brought it to the far better level it is now.

But i still wouldn't pay to watch a womens game.

the prodfather2
08-07-2015, 07:19
The Scottish women's team is the equivalent of u15 amateur boys club level

mitchellmccoist
08-07-2015, 07:31
In tennis, the Williams sisters were once beaten by a man ranked 200th in the world.

I'd imagine a similar mauling would take place if a good women's team played even a mediocre men's one.

They were aged 16/17 at the time, at her peak Serena could have taken a men's player ranked 209 but probably no higher

Laudrup1
08-07-2015, 07:47
First womens football i ever watched on tv was a team called Doncaster bells,They at the time were the Barcelona of womans football and gave quite large humpings to every team they played,The funniest thing about watching back then was always the goalkeepers either dropping the ball,diving the wrong way or diving when the ball was already in the net,corners that they completely missed or dropped over the line and kickouts were sore on the ribs watching them.

If Cammy Bell had a sex change he'd be a shoe in for first choice

paul8gascoigne
08-07-2015, 08:23
All women's football is utter pish and completely pointless.

Der Berliner
08-07-2015, 09:11
All women's football is utter pish and completely pointless.

... as is men playing badminton.

Torque87
08-07-2015, 09:33
A Scottish junior team would beat them easily. The only thing they'd maybe compete with is cardiovascular fitness.

imager
08-07-2015, 09:40
They were aged 16/17 at the time, at her peak Serena could have taken a men's player ranked 209 but probably no higher

Serena wouldn't take a game off of the British Men's number 4, the Men are too fast and too powerful for the Women, she would also struggle to get her racquet anywhere near a serve.

As for Football, they play a far slower game, they wouldn't be able to win or keep the ball and would be humiliated in every game against any male team of over 16 year olds.

90minsofmadness
08-07-2015, 09:47
I recon my Sunday league team would give them a hiding.

However I think its a stupid comparison. The game is entirely different. Men and Women are not the same so why must everything be geared up that they are.

Archibald Leitch
08-07-2015, 09:49
A pro youth team would beat them quite comfortably.

blueredwhite
08-07-2015, 09:49
As has been mentioned a couple of times already, it's almost a different game. The pace and technique wouldn't be anywhere near good enough to compete against an average amateur team. I watched some of the World Cup but wouldn't haven't bothered if the season had started.

Archibald Leitch
08-07-2015, 09:50
Serena wouldn't take a game off of the British Men's number 4, the Men are too fast and too powerful for the Women, she would also struggle to get her racquet anywhere near a serve.

As for Football, they play a far slower game, they wouldn't be able to win or keep the ball and would be humiliated in every game against any male team of over 16 year olds.

Any male team? Sorry, but that's nonsense.

FlyingV
08-07-2015, 09:56
I agree with many of the posters on here. I didn't watch it myself this time as I would always (wrongly) try and compare it to the men's game. It stands alone in its own right as a sport however once again the English media try and big it up by saying it's the most successful English team since 1966, thereby aligning it with the men's game. That annoys me.

elfideldo
08-07-2015, 11:25
To kill the argument once and for all let them play in the FA Cup 1st Qualifying round and see how many they lose by.

simonon
08-07-2015, 11:33
Watched a couple of their games and to honest it was good entertainment. I would think if they played Lochore Welfare they would be in for a tanking though.

beanyrfc
08-07-2015, 11:35
Peterhead would fck them:ninja: