PDA

View Full Version : Kids football themed parties - strips

Popbear
05-05-2015, 16:27
Had my boy at one of these on saturday.

There were easily 50 kids there. About 80% either had a full kit on , or at least a football top. Where i live is now maybe a 50/50 split between us and them and mostly everyone gets on.

I spotted one wee lassie with a rangers away top on.
All the other kids had either real madrid or barcelona, Spain, newcastle or other national tops on.

now, is it the parents are afraid to buy Gers/celtic strips or are the kids just being lost to those teams.

If it is down to the parents, then that would be the lesser of the two as eventually the kid could decide who to support. If they have already picked a foreign team though, that is a bit more worrying.

The kids ranged from 5 yo to about 8or 9, so not sure wh o would be picking their strips yet.

Billy Mac
05-05-2015, 16:36
Back in the day there was nowhere near as much exposure to teams outwith Scotland/England. Now there is virtually wall-to-wall footy coverage from across the globe. Difficult to convince kids to get excited about the Gers when they see us struggling against the Alloas of this world when they can easily watch your Messis and Ronaldos instead.
We need to get back on track soon or we are likely to lose a lot of young fans for good.

stan1982
05-05-2015, 16:42
Think my son might have been at the same party. He was wearing his Rangers top but wouldnt take his jacket off when there.

Think its just down to more choice and easier availability of strips now.

Big Jamesy
05-05-2015, 17:24
I know a lot of parents that don't want their kids going about in Rangers or Celtc strips. They can wear them in the house but not outside. Probably in case they get picked on by 'rival weans'

JohnP
05-05-2015, 17:25
I remember going to football parties as a kid it was mostly Rangers tops but there were always the Man U, Arsenal kits and Italian teams back then as well.

NewMexico
05-05-2015, 17:37
For my first strip I had a hand-me-down Rangers top of the old white V-neck early 60's vintage. Thought it was brilliant and is still my favorite Rangers top. Thought I was Erchie.

JohnP
05-05-2015, 17:42
I remember getting the 96-7 away kit for one of my birthdays, the one made up of 4 red/white squares. Man, I miss that top.

williewoodburn
05-05-2015, 17:52
My 14 yo has the 3 Lion brand shirts and wears them quite happily along with the previous 2 years efforts which just about still fit. He also wears Scotland, Barca, Dortmund and PSG whatever takes his fancy.

I think the 100% visual support for Scottish teams has escaped this generation.

C'est la vie.

Downblu
05-05-2015, 18:18
My kids have literally hundreds of tops. Their aunts and uncles buy them wherever they go on hols. To be fair they get our tops too - I don't like them wearing them out. We were in Turkey and one got a Fenwrbache and the other two got GlatasAry. Got some funny looks!

Popbear
05-05-2015, 20:52
Think my son might have been at the same party. He was wearing his Rangers top but wouldnt take his jacket off when there.

Think its just down to more choice and easier availability of strips now.

Given your location, yep it was the same party.

wonder what all the newcastle gear was about?

Andypandy01
05-05-2015, 21:33
My kids have literally hundreds of tops. Their aunts and uncles buy them wherever they go on hols. To be fair they get our tops too - I don't like them wearing them out. We were in Turkey and one got a Fenwrbache and the other two got GlatasAry. Got some funny looks!

Bought them in Turkey you say, The weird looks will be because the colours have ran , badge is upside down and name on the back is a Turk from the 60s
Fake pash over there

gorbalsbear3rd
05-05-2015, 21:43
Bought them in Turkey you say, The weird looks will be because the colours have ran , badge is upside down and name on the back is a Turk from the 60s
Fake pash over there

Not all are rubbish, when I was there boy with Man Utd top, shop worker ask what he paid, the utd fan replys thi is real not the cheap s**te you sell, the worker asks to see the top mixes them up and tells the boy to point out the real top, the utd fan couldn't tell the difference .

Andypandy01
05-05-2015, 22:05
Not all are rubbish, when I was there boy with Man Utd top, shop worker ask what he paid, the utd fan replys thi is real not the cheap s**te you sell, the worker asks to see the top mixes them up and tells the boy to point out the real top, the utd fan couldn't tell the difference .

Was he holding it upside down

stan1982
06-05-2015, 00:18
Given your location, yep it was the same party.

wonder what all the newcastle gear was about?

From what I could make out. I think the boys Dad is a Newcastle fan.

stanley
06-05-2015, 09:26
I coach a kids football team in Perth and out of the 50+ kids that regularly turn up and there's no more than 3 or 4 x rangers/St Johnstone/Celtic and 1x Dundee Utd/Aberdeen. The rest are all Barca/Madrid /PSG/Chelsea/Man U/ Arsenal.
I bet if I asked them all to name two players from each team in the SPL+Rangers, they wouldn't have a clue. the amateur TV coverage at 11pm on a sunday nights ensures that no kids have any interest in the game here. everyone of them could name near enough every player and squad number of the teams mentioned above. When you watch a Scottish game on TV followed by a EPL game its like watching a different sport! the game here is gubbed. the top league in Scotland will be made up of 50/50 full time / Part time teams very soon.

Phant1873
06-05-2015, 09:29
Was he holding it upside down

Some Turk really stung you didn't he? :D

JohnP
06-05-2015, 10:38
When I was a kid I could tell you all the squads of the English top teams off by heart, beyond knowing Rangers and Celtic I would only know the stand out faces in Scotland. I think its always been that way, its not a new thing. But its maybe worse than before.