PDA

View Full Version : Extra-time for the 4.4bn ball game in TV rights

rangeral
06-02-2015, 21:36
While we have our own battle to fight here is what is happening in England.

While no figure has been confirmed such is the interest that once finished including oveseas rights it could top £7bn:eek:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/06/premier-league-tv-rights-bidding-sky-bt

This weekend will be a long one for executives of Sky and BT Sport engaged in a multi-billion-pound bidding war for live Premier League TV rights after the closely fought auction went into next week.

The Premier League’s chief executive, Richard Scudamore, opened the envelopes containing the initial bids from the broadcasters around mid-morning on Friday, amid intense industry speculation that the US giant Discovery had also joined the fray. It is believed the bids for the seven packages on offer were so close that under the rules of the auction a second round of bidding was triggered. The process will be paused over the weekend and resumes on Monday morning, although it may be the middle of next week before the result is known.

The outcome can change dramatically between the first and second rounds. After the first round of bidding three years ago the newcomer BT Sport was widely believed to have been ahead of Sky for most of the packages, only to be ultimately trumped in the second round. Analysts believe that intense competition between Sky and BT, both driven to secure Premier League rights by wider business objectives, could drive the total income from domestic live rights alone to £4.4bn over three seasons from 2016-17, an increase of 45% on the current £3bn contract.

The competition between two companies engaged in a bitter battle for broadband and pay TV customers – and soon to add mobile services to that mix – will result in another record haul for the Premier League. Under the current deal Sky paid £2.3bn for 116 matches and BT £738m for 38 games per season, with the competition between the pair driving a 70% rise on the previous contract.

With the BBC having already agreed to pay £204m to retain the rights to highlights, safeguarding the future of Match of the Day until the end of the decade, and international revenues also expected to rise, the Premier League would be assured of beating the £5.5bn total under the current deal. Such an outcome would make the Premier League the second most lucrative sports league in the world, overtaking Major League Baseball and second only to the NFL.

Given the relatively equitable distribution of TV revenue within the Premier League, the increase will mean another hike in income for all 20 clubs. The current deal helped all Premier League clubs to occupy positions within the top 40 biggest earners in Europe in the most recent Deloitte Money League.

But it is also likely to spark renewed calls for action on reducing ticket prices and increasing the distribution of funds to grassroots football. There are 14 more live matches available this time, including up to 10 on Friday nights for the first time in the Premier League era, divided into seven packages with various kick-off times.

No single broadcaster can win more than 126 of the 168 matches on offer, with many industry analysts believing the most likely outcome is for Sky to retain those 126 and BT Sport to win the other 42. However, the intervention of Discovery could upset that theory.

BT Sport will have exclusive Champions League and Europa League rights from next season, having paid £897m over three years to seal the Uefa deal, but needs to retain a slice of Premier League action in order to make the switch to a part paid-for model attractive to subscribers.

Rt. Hon. Bearman
06-02-2015, 21:40
Meanwhile, in the SPFL...

slimjimbaxter
06-02-2015, 21:47
Meanwhile, in the SPFL...
They rely on Rangers providing TV sponsorship as no one wants tttooi each anyone else.

replay
06-02-2015, 21:48
Mental money.

rangeral
06-02-2015, 21:52
Discovery own Eurosport in case anyone was wondering.

replay
06-02-2015, 21:55
Friday night games for the armchair loyal.

Earl of Leven
06-02-2015, 21:56
Product is no better though, which is what baffles me.

EPL was better a decade ago.

It's a sort of frenzy...

Sadly it destroys competition and leaves other leagues unable to match wages and fees for even average players.

rangeral
06-02-2015, 22:04

It's a sort of frenzy...

Sadly it destroys competition and leaves other leagues unable to match wages and fees for even average players.

It just the way it is very cleverly marketed to a such that over sanitized

They are even taking about the title sponsor i.e Barclay who are paying £120m for the current deal increasing as well from 2016.

rangeral
10-02-2015, 13:20
Seems it might be announced later today who gets what

derbybear
10-02-2015, 13:25
The bubble hasn't burst ...yet.

At least I know that I'm not contributing to Sky throwing money away.

superrangers
10-02-2015, 13:42

It's a sort of frenzy...

Correct. The best players in the world play in other leagues, Spain by far being the best at attracting the best.

The quality of play in Spain and Germany in particular trumps England.

More often the games are garbage, especially when top sides meet each other. Sides spend insane amounts of money and it's still all about physicality and defense, rather than skill.

It is the most overrated league in the world by miles. Super Sunday - don't make me laugh.

People, in the main, watch it because they have a leaning towards a side.

TheWhiteHackle
10-02-2015, 13:44
Sky have ruined the game

Beanzie
10-02-2015, 13:50
Discovery own Eurosport in case anyone was wondering.

If they get any games it'll probably turn into a pay channel:(

sirdrinksalot
10-02-2015, 14:01
I read an interview with an agent the other week who stated players earning 500k a week in the EPL will be happening sooner rather than later.

rangeral
10-02-2015, 14:06
Seems to at 5pm today once the LSE closes gong by what is been posted Digital Spy forum from a few twitter feeds

As Sky said in 1992 'It's a whole new ball game' well maybe today it will be.

zorro
10-02-2015, 14:57
Sky have ruined the game for the ordinary supporter. There is no thought at all as to the fans who have to take loads of time to travel around the country to support their teams.
The quality is not as great as theose down south would have you believe. You very rarely see agame being talked of in a negative manner. even the guff matches are "great defensive shows". It was said about 10 or 12 years ago that the EPL can't consider itself the greatest league until the best players in the world are playing there on a regular basis. (anyone seen Messi at Stoke on a wet Wednesday)
As for wages, 500,000 a week, yup by the end of the decade "for sure", but it might be this that does cause the bubble to burst. That sort of wages is unsustainable and if anything was to happen to Sky (unlikely) then the House of Cards may tumble.

bobans27
10-02-2015, 15:06
Sky havent ruined the game atall. They are a broadcaster and offer hugh sums for the rights to show live games.

The authorities on the other hand havent been very smart by allowing the tv deal for each of the team to rise uncontrollably year on year without any strings attached.

Strings associated with:

Home grown players
Wages as a % of turnover
Ticket price in relation to turnover
Debt in relation to turnover
No of players one team can loan at any given time

Instead the clubs have been given free reign to so as they please, ultimately, its the players and their agents who see the rewards.

Ally54
10-02-2015, 15:32
Sky are brillant for the game...

I get to watch Real Madrid, Barcelona,Bayern, Juve,PSG at the flick of a button after coming back from the Rangers game every weekend.

Elvis Cole
10-02-2015, 15:40
Its ruined the scottish game forever Id say.

Any half decent player will be off and we will be left with the dross.

Im reliably informed that James McArthur is on 40k a week.

Thats what a bog standard mid earns.

Even if we turn this round we can never compete with that.

Ally54
10-02-2015, 15:44
Its ruined the scottish game forever Id say.

Any half decent player will be off and we will be left with the dross.

Im reliably informed that James McArthur is on 40k a week.

Thats what a bog standard mid earns.

Even if we turn this round we can never compete with that.

Rangers were paying Alan McGregor and Neil Alexander over 40k a week 3 years ago.

We're perfectly capable of ****ing things on our own

slimjimbaxter
10-02-2015, 15:46
Sky have ruined the game

My sentiments exactly and these posers at the R and A have handed the British Open over to them. Absolute Greedy barstewards with no thought to future generations, pricing everything out of the ordinary working man's pocket.

Elvis Cole
10-02-2015, 15:50
Rangers were paying Alan McGregor and Neil Alexander over 40k a week 3 years ago.

We're perfectly capable of ****ing things on our own

Id doubt we were paying them anywhere near that.

Ally54
10-02-2015, 15:51
Id doubt we were paying them anywhere near that.

Whyte gave McGregor a new deal on 33k a week while Alexander was earning 10k a week at the time

This is all public knowledge :confused:

semperparatus72
10-02-2015, 16:28
Scottish football should be getting 10% of that money if 10% of subscribers are scottish.
The game here would be amazing if sky were pumping 100Mil into it each year.

rangeral
10-02-2015, 17:04
Sky 5 packages

BT Sport 2 packages

Total valued £5.136 bn over 3 season from 2016-17 season

Embra Bear
10-02-2015, 17:05
Sky 5 packages

BT Sport 2 packages

Total valued £5.136 bn over 3 season from 2016-17 season

Big price rises then on the way for customers from both BT and Sky. :roll:

rangeral
10-02-2015, 17:11
Sky

Package A: 28 at Sat 12.30pm
Package C: 28 at Sun 1.30pm/2.15pm
Package D: 28 at Sun 4pm/4.30pm
Package E: 28 at Mon 8pm (min 18) or Fri 7.30pm/8pm (max 10)
Package G: 8 Bank Hols; 6 at Sun 1.30pm/2.15pm or Sun 4pm/4.30pm

BT

Package B: 28 at Sat 5.30pm
Package F: 6 midweek; 8 at Sat 12.30pm or Sat 5.30pm or Sun 12pm

tommy vercetti
10-02-2015, 17:13
the standard in the premier league has really dropped a fair bit over the last decade, clearly doesn't have any effect on the amount of money sky and bt are willing to pump in

superrangers
10-02-2015, 17:15
The Chief Exec Scudamore laughing and thinking it's great that Burnley are bigger financially than Ajax.

Phuck off, I'm sick to death of the EPL. Clubs like Ajax that are such a huge part of the fabric of the European game, both through contributing such great sides and players who have graced most of Europe's top sides will never again compete at the highest level because football competition matters not one bit and money is god.

Phucking disgrace.

BagoBorealis
10-02-2015, 17:16
the standard in the premier league has really dropped a fair bit over the last decade, clearly doesn't have any effect on the amount of money sky and bt are willing to pump in

Build it and they will come!

Mental.

Earl of Leven
10-02-2015, 17:18
£5bn is ludicrous.

Interesting there were no bids from apple, or any other rumoured bidder.

I guess the money is made from selling rights on or something? I mean how can they recoup almost £2bn a season from domestic income?

I ditched sky and will ditch Bt sport if Virgin start charging for it.

I also think in these tough times they will lose subscribers if they raise prices.

tommy vercetti
10-02-2015, 17:19
Build it and they will come!

Mental.

it's true though isn't it. Doesn't seem like that long ago it was mostly English sides contesting the CL semi's.

Earl of Leven
10-02-2015, 17:21
The Chief Exec Scudamore laughing and thinking it's great that Burnley are bigger financially than Ajax.

Phuck off, I'm sick to death of the EPL. Clubs like Ajax that are such a huge part of the fabric of the European game, both through contributing such great sides and players who have graced most of Europe's top sides will never again compete at the highest level because football competition matters not one bit and money is god.

Phucking disgrace.

This in spades...great post.

"Oh English clubs might dominate in Europe again."

And? So? You can do anything when relegated shitehawks get £60m...proves nothing, indicates nothing. Would be hollow, pyrrhic victories.

sir_stan
10-02-2015, 17:22
Estimated upshot: from 2016-17 season, BOTTOM club in PL will get c. £99 million prize money. And top club will get £156 MILLION. Blimey.

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/565195027711016960

amabluestar
10-02-2015, 17:22

Phucking disgrace.

Have said for years on here that it would be nice for Sky to go tits up.
Cant see it happening any time soon.:(

Ibrox75
10-02-2015, 17:23
Whyte gave McGregor a new deal on 33k a week while Alexander was earning 10k a week at the time

This is all public knowledge :confused:

So someone asked McGregor how much he was getting paid and he answered them with his actual salary?

Oh come on...

rangeral
10-02-2015, 17:27
£5bn is ludicrous.

Interesting there were no bids from apple, or any other rumoured bidder.

I guess the money is made from selling rights on or something? I mean how can they recoup almost £2bn a season from domestic income?

I ditched sky and will ditch Bt sport if Virgin start charging for it.

I also think in these tough times they will lose subscribers if they raise prices.

I knew there was a chance of an increase but again 70% just like the current deal.

Money is recoup by subscriptions in the UK, they can't sell them on as not allowed

The NFL is the most marketed sport in the world once the overseas rights etc are concluded it might just top that?

BT have lost a bit maybe due to winning the CL and EL rights at the cost £1bn so it will be interesting what with them.

bob1873
10-02-2015, 17:28

Phucking disgrace.

I don't follow that logic. I agree Ajax are a bigger 'club' than Burnley as are Rangers but the reality is that people watch the EPL globally I doubt many watch Dutch football if they aren't Dutch. Same applies to the SPFL if you want to sell a product you need to 'present' it clubs in the SPFL top flight have ramshakle stadia that would not be good enough for the Conference in England. No one watches teams like Hamilton/Motherwell/Inverness/Dundee/Dundee Utd/Ross County who is interested?

I'll sit and watch most (not all) EPL games but I've not seen a Scottish game that didn't involve Rangers. The whole set up in Scotland is irrelevant.

The only way back for Ajax, Rangers Anderlecht etc is an inter country league that would generate TV interest.

What we have seen today is brilliant capitalism in my view hats off the EPL for such a fine job in getting that kind of cash.

pb881
10-02-2015, 17:29
Much will Newcastle get from that?

Torque87
10-02-2015, 17:30
Disgusting money and is ruining (already has ruined?) football.

rangeral
10-02-2015, 17:30
@STVGrant 8 mins8 minutes ago

Context. Sky/BT now pay more to show two English Premier League matches than they pay to show a full season of Scottish Premiership games.

rangeral
10-02-2015, 17:31
Sky paid £4.18bn

BT paid £960m

JamesRiverside
10-02-2015, 17:37
Scottish football should be getting 10% of that money if 10% of subscribers are scottish.

This isn't how economic works.

bob1873
10-02-2015, 17:37

Context. Sky/BT now pay more to show two English Premier League matches than they pay to show a full season of Scottish Premiership games.

They are over paying for the Scottish games in my view:)

jimbear
10-02-2015, 17:40
BBC financial expert on Radio 4 tonight has calculated that SKY are paying around £11 million plus per game in comparison to BT paying £7 million plus. She also reckoned that BT have bought the better quality games and that SKY's bidders totally miscalculated their approach. Regardless, however, it is a massive amount of money and the viewers will have to dig deep to pay for it.

button71
10-02-2015, 17:45
The £1 million a week footballer can't be far off - movie stars get paid on their box office, I'm sure football agents will think the same for their clients.

MoodyBlue1872
10-02-2015, 17:52
Basically £10m per game.

Different stratosphere.

dublinbluenose
10-02-2015, 17:53
Disgusting money and is ruining (already has ruined?) football.

Football especially in England is now a sport for the middle classes,it's no longer the working mans game.they have been priced out of attending games and they will be priced out of watching the games on sky and have to make do with motd.

joebones
10-02-2015, 18:12
Bottom club in EPL will get £99 million.
Top club will receive £156 million.
Compete with that.

dublinbluenose
10-02-2015, 18:43
Anybody else think sky have panicked and overpaid for the rights.it appears to me bt set a trap for sky and they had no intention of taking the package sky paid for.

rangeral
10-02-2015, 18:52
Anybody else think sky have panicked and overpaid for the rights.it appears to me bt set a trap for sky and they had no intention of taking the package sky paid for.

Losing the CL to BT meant Sky had to do something but in general yes I think BT have forced Sky hand this time

BT would have in for the 4pm Sunday one that is for sure

jimjohn
10-02-2015, 18:59
I see on the BBC news this was announced from the Millennium Hotel tonight..I wonder how much the English FA paid for its use.

bigbluebroxi
10-02-2015, 19:02
Its going to be the case that if you want to watch champions league and epl it will cost the guts of £60 a month.

Thats disgusting.

Embra Bear
10-02-2015, 19:03
BBC financial expert on Radio 4 tonight has calculated that SKY are paying around 11 million plus per game in comparison to BT paying 7 million plus. She also reckoned that BT have bought the better quality games and that SKY's bidders totally miscalculated their approach. Regardless, however, it is a massive amount of money and the viewers will have to dig deep to pay for it.

I would love see some fact and figures to back this "experts" opinion up. While it does seem that Sky have overpaid I can't imagine them paying 3bn more for poorer quality games.

DadoPrso42
10-02-2015, 19:04

Revenue from subscriptions are a small fraction of Sky's earnings from football. Advertising is by far their biggest income stream and that comes from viewing figures, of which the EPL makes up the vast bulk of.

I do think we undersell our game but Sky are doing nothing wrong here.

superrangers
10-02-2015, 19:09
I don't follow that logic. I agree Ajax are a bigger 'club' than Burnley as are Rangers but the reality is that people watch the EPL globally I doubt many watch Dutch football if they aren't Dutch. Same applies to the SPFL if you want to sell a product you need to 'present' it clubs in the SPFL top flight have ramshakle stadia that would not be good enough for the Conference in England. No one watches teams like Hamilton/Motherwell/Inverness/Dundee/Dundee Utd/Ross County who is interested?

I'll sit and watch most (not all) EPL games but I've not seen a Scottish game that didn't involve Rangers. The whole set up in Scotland is irrelevant.

The only way back for Ajax, Rangers Anderlecht etc is an inter country league that would generate TV interest.

What we have seen today is brilliant capitalism in my view hats off the EPL for such a fine job in getting that kind of cash.

Players are snapped up from all over the shop to play in lesser EPL English sides or sit on benches, demeaning other European leagues, making their sides less competitive internationally (therefore exacerbating the financial disparity) as well as their leagues statute weaker both domestically and internationally.

This is not a good thing. Going your logic and post content, it sounds as if you'd prefer to watch the EPL than see a Rangers or Ajax being given more of a level playing field?

You can guarantee the big leagues would step in and prevent any cross border leagues as any raised profile of an Atlantic league would ultimately eat into their dominance to an extent.

Modern football sickens me. I wouldn't even mind as much of the product in the Premiership justified tne hype. It doesn't. It's generally shite. Even Man City and Chelsea are often poor to watch despite their obscene spending levels.

semperparatus72
10-02-2015, 20:31
Players are snapped up from all over the shop to play in lesser EPL English sides or sit on benches, demeaning other European leagues, making their sides less competitive internationally (therefore exacerbating the financial disparity) as well as their leagues statute weaker both domestically and internationally.

This is not a good thing. Going your logic and post content, it sounds as if you'd prefer to watch the EPL than see a Rangers or Ajax being given more of a level playing field?

You can guarantee the big leagues would step in and prevent any cross border leagues as any raised profile of an Atlantic league would ultimately eat into their dominance to an extent.

Modern football sickens me. I wouldn't even mind as much of the product in the Premiership justified tne hype. It doesn't. It's generally shite. Even Man City and Chelsea are often poor to watch despite their obscene spending levels.

Well said. I mean Chelsea with all that money were parking the bus last season, ugly football. Stoke v Swansea at 5.30pm on a Saturday, seriously who wants to watch that shite. No interest in it whatsoever , prefer Seria A.
The SPFL should ask for a lot more money, cant believe people in Scotland subscribe to watch the EPL at the detriment to our own game.

southsideblueblood
10-02-2015, 20:31

We are raking the bins , rather than the scraps from the masters table. Even the money from champions league looks shite by comparison. as in real life the gap gets wider and wee 20 year old dicks buy Lamborghinis and act like fuds. football is ****ed at every level these days.

Sir Drake of Caicos
10-02-2015, 20:36
EPL is one of the worst products on sky sports too.

bob1873
10-02-2015, 20:40

I've watched Rangers for 45 years. I'd rather see Rangers in the EPL the rest of Scottish football is utterly dire. As far as players go off course they go to the EPL same as anyone increasing their salary will change jobs. Unless you are a 'dick' and choose to gamble away your cash a 3 year EPL contract canset you up for life. So stay with Ross County or Hamilton or sign for Hull or Burnley? No choice is there?

The Scottish clubs need to revamp their dilapidated stadia (Ibrox included) outlaw plastic pitches and generally present their 'product'. I see another poster said Swansea v Sunderland who wants to see that - any Scottish game right now who is remotely interested in that?

Look about at what kids are wearing it all EPL or Spanish tops because that's the top players. Personally I think some of the EPL teams are excellent, each to their own.

Top_Cat
10-02-2015, 20:43
EPL is one of the worst products on sky sports too.

Agreed, the coverage of the cricket, nfl and golf is miles better, imo

pirri1873
10-02-2015, 20:46
Team finishing bottom of EPL will earn around £100million. It's obscene

Tomato Plant
10-02-2015, 20:51
Agreed, the coverage of the cricket, nfl and golf is miles better, imo

With the obvious exception of Scottish football. Which is basically the same standard the as Welsh or Irish leagues

brooklynblue
10-02-2015, 20:58

Why would this generate television interest any more than Rangers-Celtic or Ajax-Feyenoord?

bob1873
10-02-2015, 22:10
Why would this generate television interest any more than Rangers-Celtic or Ajax-Feyenoord?

Because the issue isn't the games you mention. It's games like Ross County v Rangers/Celtic that make the league dire and aestheticly the stadia are utterly rotten. However a league with all four of the teams you mention plus the obvious there's Benfica Porto Sporting Anderlecht etc would be snapped up. Cash would be less than EPL but would increase.

Just my view but is anyone really excited about trips to Inverness or Kilmarnock?

brooklynblue
10-02-2015, 22:18
Because the issue isn't the games you mention. It's games like Ross County v Rangers/Celtic that make the league dire and aestheticly the stadia are utterly rotten. However a league with all four of the teams you mention plus the obvious there's Benfica Porto Sporting Anderlecht etc would be snapped up. Cash would be less than EPL but would increase.

Just my view but is anyone really excited about trips to Inverness or Kilmarnock?

The EPL's success is based upon tradition, historical rivalries, away supports and 'the home of football'. Perhaps it might be worth looking at re-structuring our game to provide a degree of competitiveness rather than creating artificial competitions solely for finance.

blueman14
10-02-2015, 22:22
They are expecting the deals for the overseas rights will earn another £2 Billion.

Pichichi
10-02-2015, 22:23

Phucking disgrace.

Aye, it's a depressing day for most of football. The impacts of this won't be as keenly felt by the Premier League clubs because they'll continue to jizz most of their money on over-paid players, but on every other league and formerly important club who'll lose their talent and become even more marginalised than before.

bob1873
11-02-2015, 20:00
The EPL's success is based upon tradition, historical rivalries, away supports and 'the home of football'. Perhaps it might be worth looking at re-structuring our game to provide a degree of competitiveness rather than creating artificial competitions solely for finance.

I doubt that would help in my view it's simply dressing up the same product 'the emperors clothes'.

Radically I'd suggest that the best option would be to force the amalgamation of smaller clubs and operate a franchise system. We don't need four teams in Angus and four in Stirlingshire. Is there a need for Kilmarnock and Ayr or two teams in Dundee. There also needs to be new stadia build or radical reconstruction of stadia.

There is no cash to make that happen.