PDA

View Full Version : Stuart McCall: Worse off than when we were relegated

Anthony
19-01-2015, 07:40
RANGERS legend Stuart McCall last night insisted the club is in a worse state than ever.
Most assumed when Gers were demoted to the bottom tier of Scottish football they had sunk as low as they possibly could.

But Nine-in-a-Row hero McCall reckons the ugly tug of war for control of Ibrox, added to the alienation of Light Blues greats, means they have plumbed new depths.

Dismayed at the situation, Scotland coach McCall said: “I thought Rangers going into administration and down to the bottom tier was a boot in the you-know-whats, a big setback.

“But even then people thought, ‘Right, they’ve bottomed out, they can build again, up the way’ — and it’s just not happened.

“Rangers are possibly in an even worse state now than they were when they went down to the bottom tier.

“People couldn’t believe Rangers were still getting 45,000 fans against Elgin and the like.

“So the support stood by them and remained steadfast as they rolled through the bottom two divisions, winning the league by 20-odd points or something last year.

“But when you get to this stage, you have to be ready for it.

“If the club had been managed properly, they would have been able to go back into the top flight and be stronger.

“It’s been one calamity after another — people coming in, then leaving.

“I think the fans put in about £20million and now they need so many million more just to survive.

“It’s not just Rangers fans. Any fan of football would be asking the same things, ‘How can that be so? Where has the money gone’.”

Rangers have been in a state of crisis for what seems like an eternity.

But McCall admitted it was the queue of stalwarts walking away from the mess that really made him sit up and take notice.

He added: “I read Walter saying the other day that going back for a third time was a mistake.

“You know that for him to go he must have had his reasons.

“For John Greig not to be there, there must be stuff going on that people can’t quite see.

“But that was John, Walter left the board and the alarm bells started ringing.

“If Walter is walking away when you need somebody there, it must be bad.

“The great Sandy Jardine passed away, unfortunately, and now Coisty has left too.

“So there are four great Rangers men who have departed the club. That would be like Bobby Charlton at Manchester United saying, ‘You know what, I’ve had enough of this club’, then Sir Alex Ferguson departing because something was going on and Ryan Giggs leaving as well.

“If that happened at United, imagine how everyone would react. They’d be asking what is going on.

“That’s what worries me — what is going on in at Rangers?

“Yes, football is a business now but is there anybody in there actually doing it for the sake of the club?

“Or are they just in it to make a few quid then disappear into the night? Over the past few years that has been the case.”

The Three Bears — George Letham, Douglas Park and George Taylor — are trying to wrest control of Gers away from Mike Ashley, along with Dave King.

McCall doesn’t know any of them but hopes they can be taken at face value and genuinely do have the best interests of the club at heart.

He said: “I have to say I don’t know the gentlemen, but if you believe what you read then it seems they do have Rangers at heart.

“Now I’m not saying that just because you have Rangers at heart you are going to be successful and the club is going to make money.

“But you do know that, whatever they are doing, they are doing it for the right reasons.

“They’re not in there just for ‘we can do this, we can do that, we can earn this and we can get out’.

“What you want are people that the club matters to and will do their best for the club, not for themselves as individuals.

“If it is the Three Bears, if it is Dave King, if it’s anyone else, then you would rather have people who bother about the club.”

Like many, McCall would love to hear secretive Ashley’s short and long-term plans for the club.

He said: “The off-the-park stuff is the main concern for everyone.

“The thing that really brought it to a head was finding out that the ground was going to be put up as security on a loan, having told everyone at the last AGM that this would never happen.

“The fans have had enough. Everyone is asking for transparency.

“Mr Ashley has got, what, eight and a half or nine per cent of the club, yet he seems to be the one making all the major decisions — appointing a chief executive, a finance director and so on.

“Supporters see other people wanting to offer money and ask why Ashley is the best option.”

l STUART McCALL was speaking at the Ravenscraig Regional Sports Facility as the SFA step up their search for the next intake of Performance School students.

To apply, young players entering S1 in August 2015 should visit www.scottishfa.co.uk/performance.

Healthy energy drink Little Big Shot is the title sponsor of the Regional Performance School programme and the prestigious Youth Cup. See www.littlebigshot.com

bigkahunarab
19-01-2015, 07:47
Stuff going on that people can't quite see...eh... It's a start. Although tbf to McCall it's been distilled by a newspaper editor.

Crouchy
19-01-2015, 07:49
Decent little article from McCall, tbh.

Northampton Lodger
19-01-2015, 07:50
Needs more people like McCall to stop worrying about Ashley. He is steamrollering through football as one big advert for his market stall.

stillill
19-01-2015, 08:01
Sensible quotes from McCall. Can't believe no one else has asked these simple questions.

stillhere
19-01-2015, 08:04
Needs more people like McCall to stop worrying about Ashley. He is steamrollering through football as one big advert for his market stall.

Start worrying you mean?

hyndford
19-01-2015, 08:08
I too think this is an excellent little piece from Stuart McCall. He seems to have covered most of the concerns we all have at the moment, in laymans terms anyway.

Thank You Stuart

SomeGaveAll
19-01-2015, 08:12
Nice one wee man, lots of points covered there.

The Big Cheese
19-01-2015, 08:18
Too little too late.

Our ex players have in the main washed their hands of us.

The vast majority of them simply don't care and that's the truth of it.

Battlefield Bear
19-01-2015, 08:20
The comparison with Manchester United is very well put and sums things up perfectly. Yet some, still, defend these leeches?!

Porto Loyal
19-01-2015, 08:34
Can someone from Admin change the heading - we were never relegated.

Govanrear4JH
19-01-2015, 08:43
Good article from McCall and with him being an SFA employee I would like to think his voice will be heard in Hampden.

SomeGaveAll
19-01-2015, 10:56
hopefully with Gough yesterday both our shares schemes can step up the media campaign to get more ex players involved.

RYAN1872
19-01-2015, 11:01

Yes we were?

SomeGaveAll
19-01-2015, 11:04

As a club we were demoted, where we not? our licence remained so we were punished. We were never liquidated, the company was.

What word would you use?

stayfor90mins
19-01-2015, 11:11
Good stuff from McCall, we need to see more of this from ex players

baselbear
19-01-2015, 11:21
As a club we were demoted, where we not? our licence remained so we were punished. We were never liquidated, the company was.

What word would you use?

He is right. The club was kicked out of the league.

stillhere
19-01-2015, 11:23
Yes we were?

No we were not.

Get your facts right timmy. :angel:

stillhere
19-01-2015, 11:24

What word would you use?

To me relegation means you finished bottom of the league and were not good enough to stay up. We came 2nd by a long way even after a points deducting FFS.

Moses Brox
19-01-2015, 11:34
Nice one Stuart, well put wee man. Time to join the RST? Been the best Rangers related thing I ever did.

TPB90
19-01-2015, 11:38
Have to agree with McCall. We are in a hell of a mess.

Higginsgate Rocket
19-01-2015, 11:41
He's bang on the money.

Our situation now is perilous.

SomeGaveAll
19-01-2015, 11:48
He is right. The club was kicked out of the league.

we kept our licence, so what would be the correct term as the club was certainly not liquidated that was the company.

The Bomber
19-01-2015, 12:01

What word would you use?

Would use were rather than "where".

CambyBlueNoseBear
19-01-2015, 12:02
The wee man is dead right. We're on the brink, and who would have the appetite to purchase shares in newco newco rangers?

RYAN1872
19-01-2015, 12:07
No we were not.

Get your facts right timmy. :angel:

So how did we end up in Div 3 ? :confused:

SomeGaveAll
19-01-2015, 12:31
Would use were rather than "where".

of course, I type and never proof read, sorry

SomeGaveAll
19-01-2015, 12:32
So how did we end up in Div 3 ? :confused:

I have used the word demoted, relegated is deffo wrong and mine maybe wrong also.

Basically they PUT us there! To keep OUR licence we had to agree to their terms.

Anyway, drifting from theme of post,

Well done wee man, next time your at hamdump ask Regan whats he is doing regarding this, or is it another case of PAYE memory loss.

Ross_
19-01-2015, 12:35
I couldn't argue with that , what a woeful waste of money and time due to the WIGS

we are now years and years behind where we could / should be in both a financial sense and a footballing sense.

Sad really :(

Moodymann
19-01-2015, 12:43
Well said Stuart McCall.

If it gets the message out to the wider fan base it can only be a good thing.

SomeGaveAll
19-01-2015, 14:19
I couldn't argue with that , what a woeful waste of money and time due to the WIGS

we are now years and years behind where we could / should be in both a financial sense and a footballing sense.

Sad really :(

With the wigs in the boardroom this was always going to happen, I agree they have certainly expedited the situation .