PDA

View Full Version : Vertonghen's offside call

footballhipster
17-01-2015, 23:58
Just watching MOTD there and seen that. Can't think of ever seeing a worse call -

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7kQxSmCAAA6I4w.jpg

:confused:

Honestly can't even think of an explanation he could give to exonerate the decision

superrangers
18-01-2015, 00:00
Almost as bad as the offside decision again Sterling at the Etihad last season.

Vertongen is a qhuunt though so karma is a bitch.

footballhipster
18-01-2015, 00:01
That's a million times worse. For starters he's about 2 yards in his own half :D

jcdno1
18-01-2015, 00:02
Worse than Dave Robertson's...

Ally54
18-01-2015, 00:02
Can the referee not just wave play on looking at the picture?

Mckellar
18-01-2015, 00:03
Absurd decision to say the least

bluenosebazza
That's a million times worse. For starters he's about 2 yards in his own half :D

2? Hes about 6 yards inside his own half. Thats linesman can look forward to running the line at a Conference game next week.

footballhipster
Can the referee not just wave play on looking at the picture?

Aye, he can and should have overruled it. Chris Foy's an awful ref

dougsdir24
18-01-2015, 00:04
ontheline will be along shortly to defend the linesman! :D

sirdrinksalot
18-01-2015, 00:05
An absolutely shocking call from the linesman, and as mentioned above, the referee could and should have over ruled his idiotic assistant.

georgeclooney
18-01-2015, 00:05
Look at the refs position when the ball is passed. How could he not overrule the Assistant who arsed it up by raising his flag ?

covloyalrsc
18-01-2015, 00:26
2? Hes about 6 yards inside his own half. Thats linesman can look forward to running the line at a Conference game next week.

Wrong on two counts.
He is nearer the halfway line than the edge of the Centre Circle. That means he is under 5 yards.
He won't be running the Conference next week. He'll either be Refereeing the Conference or another Non League game depending on his level.
One thing for sure he will have a little break from running the Line.

Your point still stands though. A total howler

Oosy troosers
18-01-2015, 00:30
No he won't. He would if it was a Scottish official though.

They never make errors.

rossgers
18-01-2015, 00:36
Expected to see Craig Thomson mincing down the touchline, but no, England has totally incompetent officials also.

Jorday
18-01-2015, 01:01
Cost me £102 this decision as I had Spurs handicap betting at -1

bluenosebazza
18-01-2015, 01:22
Wrong on two counts.
He is nearer the halfway line than the edge of the Centre Circle. That means he is under 5 yards.
He won't be running the Conference next week. He'll either be Refereeing the Conference or another Non League game depending on his level.

The distance bit was hyperbole, deliberately exaggerated to highlight the point.

Oosy troosers
18-01-2015, 01:30
Just watching MOTD there and seen that. Can't think of ever seeing a worse call -

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7kQxSmCAAA6I4w.jpg

:confused:

Honestly can't even think of an explanation he could give to exonerate the decision

To be fair to the linesman, that picture is a little inconclusive. :D

TN8
18-01-2015, 01:34
Clearly off.

laud11coop
18-01-2015, 01:46
My God..... this is up with the classic Les Mottram one at Partick Whistle.....in the 90,s

im_a_good_bluenose
18-01-2015, 02:06
As big a howler as the one few years back ref gave a goal when the ball went behind for a goal kick. May have been Watford playing that day

mayfairblue2
18-01-2015, 03:49

Surprised he hasn't been on already.:D

hotandspicy pizza
18-01-2015, 06:14
Had to laugh when the linesman gave the excuse of "the goalie was put of play so he was off" (from motd)... Think the wee linesman needs to read up on the rules or chuck it.. And the ref should be demoted as well for not over ruling as he is right up with play...

Gutted for the guy that this decision cost him money on the -1... Maybe the linesman had the correct score up//

Laudrup1
18-01-2015, 07:01
I wondered if the goalie not being there would be used as mitigation.

Wouldn't he just have been better admitting he made an arse of it?

daviemcc508
18-01-2015, 07:46
Yet again the officials in EPL shown up,let's be honest it is a regular theme.

1 way of this rule being sorted is..once the keeper crosses the half way line there is no offside simples

DavyMcK
18-01-2015, 08:12
I havent seen it and only going on the pic and this thread but surely if the goal keeper is not in play (either off the park or perhaps up for a corner) then he's offside as he needs 2 opposition players in front of him to play him onside

ibroxbound
18-01-2015, 08:26
I thought you couldn't be offside in your own half.

KilwinningBlue
18-01-2015, 08:28
I havent seen it and only going on the pic and this thread but surely if the goal keeper is not in play (either off the park or perhaps up for a corner) then he's offside as he needs 2 opposition players in front of him to play him onside

But what's to stop a team defending a lead by putting all the players including the keeper up the park :D

SemperParatus
18-01-2015, 08:28
Wrong on two counts.

You seem like a fun chap

SemperParatus
18-01-2015, 08:33

3 possibilities here.

1. You're fishing
2. You don't realise that's the halfway line
3. You're an idiot

Tenchleysblue
18-01-2015, 08:34
I thought you couldn't be offside in your own half.

Yip. I thought that would be day one of linesmen school. I think he was so determined to highlight the keeper being up that the smartarse forgot the most basic rule of all.

Northampton Lodger
18-01-2015, 08:50
Never noticed where they actually took the free kick from.

bigkahunarab
18-01-2015, 09:00

Offside in his own half you say.............:D:D

Watch the clip today bud.

hotandspicy pizza
18-01-2015, 09:04

The rules are that you CANNOT be offside if a ball is played to you when you are in your own half... Does not matter whether there is 11 or 0 players between you and the goal at time of pass.... He was ONSIDE.....

The linesmans next job should be making calls in a call centre in Wales sell selling solar panels.

superrangers
18-01-2015, 09:07
The rules are that you CANNOT be offside if a ball is played to you when you are in your own half... Does not matter whether there is 11 or 0 players between you and the goal at time of pass.... He was ONSIDE.....

The linesmans next job should be making calls in a call centre in Wales sell selling solar panels.

That would be a tough gig. Let's be fair on the guy. Make it umbrellas, door to door.

:D

Surrey True Blue
18-01-2015, 09:08

Even the referees lickspittle will not dare defend that shocker.

Gullane
18-01-2015, 09:08
Dont matter a jot about defenders he is in his own half - end of ! Ref is right there he ought to have over ruled.

tazzabear
18-01-2015, 09:09

It's correct to say there has to be two opposition players between you and the goal line.
If the goalie doesn't have to be one of them.
However, the attacking player is in his own half.

AppleBear1976
18-01-2015, 09:13

he was in his own half!

you can't be off side in your own half no matter how many opposition players are in front of you! loo

paisleyprod
18-01-2015, 09:15
Utterly retarded officiating.

TV evidence should be used or teams should be allowed one "challenge" per half to contest incompetence

smittbox7
18-01-2015, 09:32
Can't believe his excuse, I'd have more respect for him if he just came out and said "Look I made a right howler of it, I apologise"

adelblue
18-01-2015, 09:35
They won anyway so everyone can look back and laugh.

charlesdexterward
18-01-2015, 09:35
I saw it on Sky sports news this morning and it is frankly a brutal decision.

gazzamac06
18-01-2015, 09:49
Yip. I thought that would be day one of linesmen school. I think he was so determined to highlight the keeper being up that the smartarse forgot the most basic rule of all.

I think this too, as soon as he seen the keeper up he was too busy thinking "I 'll make a crackin decision here" and was so excited when it came about.

What surely should be easy for him to think of was...if the guy receiving the ball is on your left (linesman doesn't go past the halfway) and has never been on your right....don't even think about flagging :) :) :)

lje1969
18-01-2015, 09:52
just saw it, terrible decision

im_a_good_bluenose
18-01-2015, 09:52
They won anyway so everyone can look back and laugh.

Apart from punters who had 3-1 correct score coupons or as above handicap betting etc

sirdrinksalot
18-01-2015, 09:59

Oooft, wit a riddy :D

earlcmoonbrand
18-01-2015, 10:15
Can't believe his excuse, I'd have more respect for him if he just came out and said "Look I made a right howler of it, I apologise"

There's certainly an argument for officials to make mandatory statement to the media after matches. I'd certainly love to have heard an explanation regarding this howler, that's for sure. Like you say, if. The ref came out and admitted to his linesman making a howler it would put the matter to rest to a certain degree.

diggydoctor
18-01-2015, 10:23
But what's to stop a team defending a lead by putting all the players including the keeper up the park :D

Because the other team can still be onside by playing a pass from their own half.

diggydoctor
18-01-2015, 10:25
Horrible decision; miles in his own half!

Interesting what Lineker said on MOTD about 2 players needing to be in front of the attacker to be onside... I never thought about that when a goalie goes up the park.

Alfieconnssideburns
18-01-2015, 10:34
Chris Foy yet again. This is the third time he has been the ref involving perfectly good Spurs goals being disallowed. Remember a couple if seasons ago against Stoke ? Poor old Sir Chris Hoy got a twitter battering by the fans by mistake. In all seriousness this 'goal' could prove costly. Foy only has to take a quick look at the jumbotron to allow it. Some officials are total fools. Remember Clattenburg and Pendro Mendis lob against Roy Carroll at Old Trafford ? That goal would have won the game that night for Spurs. The rub being Spurs missed out on CL by 1 point.

blueintheface
18-01-2015, 10:38
I think this too, as soon as he seen the keeper up he was too busy thinking "I 'll make a crackin decision here" and was so excited when it came about.

I think this is what's happened too.

Ally54
18-01-2015, 10:43
Horrible decision; miles in his own half!

Interesting what Lineker said on MOTD about 2 players needing to be in front of the attacker to be onside... I never thought about that when a goalie goes up the park.

It's the reason why Sutton was offside when he scored in the 6-2 game at the Piggery.

Westwood
18-01-2015, 10:48

Strange, your user name suggests that you're a bloke?

Away and make yer man's breakfast.

stevethebluenose90
18-01-2015, 10:57
Absolutely horrendous decision, he should be dropped from the EPL.

paisleyprod
18-01-2015, 10:59
Ach it was only spurs, doesn't really matter :D

paisleyprod
18-01-2015, 11:01
It's the reason why Sutton was offside when he scored in the 6-2 game at the Piggery.

He sure was plus we had a perfectly good goal ruled out that is often conveniently forgotten about.

Aggieblue
18-01-2015, 11:07
Stupid ignorant twat caused me 3pts on Super 6, wanka!

BL11
18-01-2015, 11:22
Looks a good decision to me :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7nkgQMIMAAGW4c.png:large

RinosPaws
18-01-2015, 11:24
Isn't the rule that the player can't be ahead of the goalkeeper and behind a defender? I.E in the middle?

AppleBear1976
18-01-2015, 11:26
Isn't the rule that the player can't be ahead of the goalkeeper and behind a defender? I.E in the middle?

it doesn't matter, he was in his own half, you can't be offside in your own half no matter what :D

munkoomccoist
18-01-2015, 11:30
Luckily it had no bearing on the outcome in the end. Shocking decision though

instructor
18-01-2015, 11:42
He was only 5 years onside, a close one!
I reckon he got excited with the goalie being up the park!

DINGUS83
18-01-2015, 11:44
Looks a good decision to me :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7nkgQMIMAAGW4c.png:large

Classic! :D:D:D

bluenosebazza
18-01-2015, 11:45
He sure was plus we had a perfectly good goal ruled out that is often conveniently forgotten about.

Belting finish from Wallace that wouldve put us in at half time 3-2 down. Its a different story second half from there.

jimbo.b
18-01-2015, 11:55
It was because he's Irish........

RSEA2009
18-01-2015, 11:56
What excuse was given

M A R T I N
18-01-2015, 11:59
It's the referees fault though, he could easily have overruled it.

covloyalrsc
18-01-2015, 15:48
It's the referees fault though, he could easily have overruled it.

Ultimately the buck stops at the Referee as the Assistant is there to assist.
Unfortunately in this instance the Assistant certainly never did. I wonder what the conversation, if any, took place before the goal was adjudged to be Offside.
They are wired up so conversation would've been instant.

In this instance and in my opinion, if they had a conversation face to face it would've gave them a bit of thinking time and then came to the correct decision

Anthony
18-01-2015, 15:52
That outrageous decision cost a Spurs fan £2,600. He has been advised to connect the press so the bookie might take pity on him!

'Winning' betting slip:

http://www.thfclatest.com/2015/01/18/2600-down-the-drain-thanks-to-officials/

tambourineman
18-01-2015, 16:31
Utterly retarded officiating.

TV evidence should be used or teams should be allowed one "challenge" per half to contest incompetence

it doesn't matter, he was in his own half, you can't be offside in your own half no matter what :D

A fair number of people on this thread just do not seem to know or understand this rule. You cannot be offside when you are in your own half

Next; what about from a throw-in, especially if the goalie is out of his goal :roll:

FoxyKnoxy
18-01-2015, 16:48
That's the refs fault imo

switchback
18-01-2015, 16:51
Luckily it had no bearing on the outcome in the end. Shocking decision though

Unless their final league position is dictated by one goal difference.

dofekbilbo
18-01-2015, 17:01
That outrageous decision cost a Spurs fan £2,600. He has been advised to connect the press so the bookie might take pity on him!

'Winning' betting slip:

http://www.thfclatest.com/2015/01/18/2600-down-the-drain-thanks-to-officials/

Nobody can know for sure he would have won his bet. The other team might have taken the kick off and ran right up the park and scored. Unless the goal was with the last kick of the game.

Surrey True Blue
18-01-2015, 17:06
Ontheline has gone missing
Oh yeah,it's the English refs getting it tight.

Same as....

Klos 1
18-01-2015, 17:55
I was at the game celebrating the 3rd goal & thought game over & before I knew it Sunderland were taking free kick going on the attack. Awful mistake by linesmen & also gubbed my correct score forecast.

paisleyprod
18-01-2015, 18:04
A fair number of people on this thread just do not seem to know or understand this rule. You cannot be offside when you are in your own half

Next; what about from a throw-in, especially if the goalie is out of his goal :roll:

Im wel aware of the rules. Plenty of situations you can't be offside.

Decision was awful

covloyalrsc
18-01-2015, 19:08

I thought it was a Law not a rule.
Pedantic Loyal :ninja:

Caniggia7
18-01-2015, 19:09
guys above are right, he's been too interested in the goalie being up the park :)

Andy Weir
18-01-2015, 19:26
Missed MOTD, was the GK up the park?

As on the face of it it looks like it's been a double **** up.

I assume the lineo/ref was treating the last man there as what would have normally been the GK and completely forgot about the half way line?