PDA

View Full Version : Summer Football

dh1963
17-01-2015, 13:08
It gets asked every winter when we see games called off, so I'll ask this year.

Simple question, are you in favour of changing our football season to have it played during the summer and we don't play in winter?

mmrfc1873
17-01-2015, 13:31
No from me.

Ally54
17-01-2015, 13:32
Hibs had a friendly called off for a waterlogged pitch in July either this year or last

beanyrfc
17-01-2015, 13:36
Nah I hate sitting in the stadium when its boody roastin, at least with the cold we can wrap up.

womble 3
17-01-2015, 13:40
No from me

bigbluebroxi
17-01-2015, 13:42
Given the crap product on offer I reckon crowds would be even lower in summer as plenty other things for people to find to do with their time.

xelaxela
17-01-2015, 13:49
I don't know about summer football. I would settle for some decent football at Ibrox.

Davey_2302_RFC
17-01-2015, 13:52
Not for me, would be a pain in he arse every 2 seasons when the WC and Euros are on for a start

Porto Bear
17-01-2015, 14:02
No for me ....

Amurphrfc
17-01-2015, 14:06
No from me.

USER7
17-01-2015, 14:25
If we had a summer break last night would have been 1st or 2nd after break

mailsort
17-01-2015, 14:27
Not for me thanks.

bilkobear
17-01-2015, 14:30
I have banged on about this for years.

We are playing a summer game in winter.
You might get away with it, just, in England, but Scotland needs to rethink this entirely.

Our climate is simply not conducive to winter football.

Summer football would bring in bigger crowds, encourage better technical football and if it was introduced at all levels improve the all round ability of players from the youngest up.

It may even see us get a better television deal and definitely help us in the early stages of European competition.

There isn't really a negative.

Madrid Bill
17-01-2015, 14:35
A month off in January, start the season 2 weeks earlier.

Have 2 games a week more often through the start of the season.
When there seem to be more free weeks.

4 games between 24th Dec - 2nd Jan and then off until first midweek or weekend in Feb.

Baloo72
17-01-2015, 14:36
No way

Why would you want to come out with a t-shirt on, sit in the beer garden before the game for a few, then a wee walk up the the ground, see the game played on a pitch that has some grass on it.

I for one would much rather go out with every bit of clothing on I own sit in a freezing cold stadium clutch a piss cup of watery coffee to keep warm, and watch guys lump the ball into the box from 40 yards out

no wonder the games is dying on its arse

RoskoRangers
Yes. The Scottish game needs saved and it won't survive when we're up against the premier league every week

delMarSunset
Would you rather watch it in shirt sleeves in June or in -5 and a howling gale in January

bilkobear
17-01-2015, 14:43
No way

Why would you want to come out with a t-shirt on, sit in the beer garden before the game for a few, then a wee walk up the the ground, see the game played on a pitch that has some grass on it.

I for one would much rather go out with every bit of clothing on I own sit in a freezing cold stadium clutch a piss cup of watery coffee to keep warm, and watch guys lump the ball into the box from 40 yards out

no wonder the games is dying on its arse

Even the argument that we have played the game for a century and a half in winter simply doesn't hold up.

Today's punter wants and demands far more comfort with his football.
Further we have a greater variety of supporter, far more females and far more families than in the old days when it was mainly men standing on a terracing.
There is also the day out factor, where people want more than just ninety minutes then back to the pub.

Summer football with relaxed alcohol restrictions inside grounds could save Scottish football, both on the park and off it.

Helicopter_Spotter
17-01-2015, 14:47
Absolutely no. I simply wouldn't attend summer football as far too many other things to do be doing. Football is the one thing that would get me (and other people) out of the house in the winter. It works well spreading activities around the seasons, what else would people be doing on a Saturday afternoon in January, hill walking?

People are mistaken if they think crowds would improve in summer, I'd be on the golf course for one.

GMonty
17-01-2015, 14:47
Really wish we would consider this nothing worse than going and watching football in winter conditions make for a poor football display you sit in you seat freezing your bollocks off would much rather have summer football but will never happen so no point in talking about it

Baloo72
17-01-2015, 14:50
Even the argument that we have played the game for a century and a half in winter simply doesn't hold up.

Today's punter wants and demands far more comfort with his football.
Further we have a greater variety of supporter, far more females and far more families than in the old days when it was mainly men standing on a terracing.
There is also the day out factor, where people want more than just ninety minutes then back to the pub.

Summer football with relaxed alcohol restrictions inside grounds could save Scottish football, both on the park and off it.

Exactly mate, we live in an entirely different world from even 20 years ago

I could not agree more with everything you have said

If there is one thing that could revitalise the game this is it

Helicopter_Spotter
17-01-2015, 14:51
Misaligning ourselves against the rest of Europe would be a disaster too.

The winters we have in Scotland are nothing compared to the winters experienced by many countries in Europe, even those countries not much further north than us. It rarely drops below freezing and is often in 5-10 degree mark which isn't exactly baltic, must be a bunch of pansies if this is too off-putting.

bilkobear
17-01-2015, 14:51
Absolutely no. I simply wouldn't attend summer football as far too many other things to do be doing. Football is the one thing that would get me (and other people) out of the house in the winter. It works well spreading activities around the seasons, what else would people be doing on a Saturday afternoon in January, hill walking?

People are mistaken if they think crowds would improve in summer, I'd be on the golf course for one.

So you only golf when the football season is over?

You should try and fit both in mate.
A Saturday morning on the course followed by the match in the afternoon.
That way you could be golfing all year. :D

williewoodburn
17-01-2015, 14:53

I know plenty golfers and bowlers who would moan but football on a Sat or Sun still leaves a day free.

Selfish interests have to be held aside for the greater good of the game. Summer football is an absolute must IMO.

Haining84
17-01-2015, 14:54
No from me.Summers for Golf and music festivals.

Helicopter_Spotter
17-01-2015, 14:55
So you only golf when the football season is over?

You should try and fit both in mate.
A Saturday morning on the course followed by the match in the afternoon.
That way you could be golfing all year. :D

Yes pretty much. I've no desire to cram too much into one day, football in the winter is fine with me, certainly would prefer watching football, either on TV on in person than golfing in this weather.

Helicopter_Spotter
17-01-2015, 15:00
I know plenty golfers and bowlers who would moan but football on a Sat or Sun still leaves a day free.

Selfish interests have to be held aside for the greater good of the game. Summer football is an absolute must IMO.

I'm not the only person with other interests beside football, that's the point. A Scottish winter without even any football? No thanks.

bilkobear
17-01-2015, 15:01
Yes pretty much. I've no desire to cram too much into one day, football in the winter is fine with me, certainly would prefer watching football, either on TV on in person than golfing in this weather.

Golf on Sundays then.

The debate isn't just about watching in winter, there is a strong argument that reclaiming the summer for what is essentially a summer sport, would enhance the quality of the spectacle.

It would seriously increase the entire aspect of the game in Scotland from the grass roots through to the top league.
Raising skill levels and encouraging more participation for young people into the bargain.

Baloo72
17-01-2015, 15:10
For those against it

Do you not think it would be better for the game?

Or is it that it does just not suit your personal circumstances?

Haining84
17-01-2015, 15:11
For those against it

Personally mate it's a bit of both for me.

cweir
17-01-2015, 15:14
Yes for me,we would also have a better chance of a decent tv contract with no epl or la liga to compete with

Helicopter_Spotter
17-01-2015, 15:15
Golf on Sundays then.

The debate isn't just about watching in winter, there is a strong argument that reclaiming the summer for what is essentially a summer sport, would enhance the quality of the spectacle.

It would seriously increase the entire aspect of the game in Scotland from the grass roots through to the top league.
Raising skill levels and encouraging more participation for young people into the bargain.

For the game to be enhanced, people need to pay money to view and attend, there are plenty of reasons as why this may not be the case in the summer.

Baloo72
17-01-2015, 15:17
Personally mate it's a bit of both for me.

I can understand if you think it does not fit into your life, fair enough

But I don't get the general football bit, surely over all it would be better for the game as a whole, quality and participation?

Helicopter_Spotter
17-01-2015, 15:19
For those against it

I'm acknowledging that my personal circumstances are similar to many others, too many for summer football to succeed.

How would it be better for the game if participation levels halfed and attendance levels fell? You're obviously assuming this wouldn't be the case, I'm putting it to you that it's a real possibility.

Baloo72
17-01-2015, 15:22
I'm acknowledging that my personal circumstances are similar to many others, too many for summer football to succeed.

How would it be better for the game if participation levels halfed and attendance levels fell? You're obviously assuming this wouldn't be the case, I'm putting it to you that it's a real possibility.

Personal I think it would be the exact opposite

Only one way to find out :D

Haining84
17-01-2015, 15:34
I can understand if you think it does not fit into your life, fair enough

But I don't get the general football bit, surely over all it would be better for the game as a whole, quality and participation?

You might be right,I get the whole better conditions,quality of pitch etc but I'm a bit old school.The winter can be grim at times but at least you've got the football to look forward to at the weekend and during the week to break things up.The Season has always fallen in line with going back to school/work after your summer holidays and I love it if I'm honest,the Xmas fixtures,the Cup games in Jan/Feb,the title race heating up around mid-spring like the weather.

I like switching off during the summer,getting the golf clubs out,heading to music festivals,holidays etc and every second year we get an international tournament to sit in the beer garden and watch.I know the winter can cause problems with supporters having to travel but I'm not convinced attendances would really increase or the standard of play.

bob1873
17-01-2015, 15:38
I voted no but to get sponsors and a decent TV deal maybe summer football is the answer.

The SFA etc have to realise the world has changed and frankly next to no one is remotely interested in football in Scotland but if it's on TV in the summer and nothing else is maybe they'd get some interest.

There would have to be investment into the crap stadia etc.

Rhat Catcher
17-01-2015, 16:06

You might get away with it, just, in England, but Scotland needs to rethink this entirely.

Summer football would bring in bigger crowds, encourage better technical football and if it was introduced at all levels improve the all round ability of players from the youngest up.

It may even see us get a better television deal and definitely help us in the early stages of European competition.

Nothing worse sat in a ground in The sunshine when you've had a drink,can't keep my eyes open,knacker's me out completely,that's a negative :D

The Southern General
17-01-2015, 16:34

This post sums it up for me entirely. This would be key part to reviving our national game.
We might even manage to coexist with England in a far more positive fashion.
There is strong marketing potential too - it's not ridiculous to imagine a competitive old firm game in July having global demand!

dhjnr
17-01-2015, 16:46
Winter is best for me. Happy with a longer break though.

bilkobear
17-01-2015, 17:23
For the game to be enhanced, people need to pay money to view and attend, there are plenty of reasons as why this may not be the case in the summer.

The old argument that people holiday in summer is now defunct.

Most sensible people take their holidays at different times during the year and often fck off abroad in the colder months.
There are probably just as many people unable to attend through holidays in the winter as they are in the summer.
However in the summer there will be more people visiting Scotland who might enjoy taking in a football match.

Add to that the older people and younger people and females who would enjoy watching football in more clement temperatures, and the crowds would definitely go north rather than south.

Virgil Hilts
17-01-2015, 17:37
No! no! no!

Too many other things to do in summer. only those with no life want summer fitba

Broxi Bear 1873
17-01-2015, 17:37
Its a Yes for me, nothing better than watching football on a warm summers evening, much better than freezing your bollocks off on a winter one!

dh1963
17-01-2015, 18:18
Clear majority in the thread say no, clear majority in the poll say yes.

Its like the independence referendum in reverse!

Newlands_loyal
17-01-2015, 18:54
The old argument that people holiday in summer is now defunct.

Most sensible people take their holidays at different times during the year and often fck off abroad in the colder months.
There are probably just as many people unable to attend through holidays in the winter as they are in the summer.
However in the summer there will be more people visiting Scotland who might enjoy taking in a football match.

Add to that the older people and younger people and females who would enjoy watching football in more clement temperatures, and the crowds would definitely go north rather than south.

Succinct and to the point, a move away from the status quo is long over due.