PDA

View Full Version : Rangers 2 -1 Celtc Jan 1973

britain
01-12-2014, 11:13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeKwLZFvzP8

Just found the Scotsport footage of our two goals above:D

Great win.

The late great Sir Arthur Montford in commentary.

Any bears with memories of this game ?

The Big Cheese
01-12-2014, 11:19
We were a fair way behind them going into this game,but our win and them dropping some unexpected points early in the New Year brought us right back into contention.
We lost the title by a single point in the end.

tazzabear
01-12-2014, 11:25
King Parlane'penalty.
The septic end jumping for joy when their keeper saved it, only to be scunnered a second later when Parlane scored the rebound.
We went through the rest of the season unbeaten but missed out on the league when we drew at the sheep on the second last game.
If this wasn't Tom Forsyth's debut, it was his second game, maybe third, but his signing was the catalyst for that run.

jamesa
01-12-2014, 11:29
I was at this game as an 11 year old, I'm sure the winner was in the dying minutes.
I also have a memory of a headline next day which read "whats it all about, Alfie?"

3g
01-12-2014, 11:32
As always, standing freezing on the terracing for the Ne'erday game.

Mulguy1953
01-12-2014, 11:40
Remember it well especially wee Doddie celebrating after Conn had scored in the last minute . Oh what fun it is to f*** the tims on New Years day ( although I think it might have been the 3rd of Jan )

livi_true_blue
01-12-2014, 11:40
http://i59.tinypic.com/anmx5s.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/28rgzlu.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/22khvd.jpg

Pandemonium Loyal :)

Mason Boyne
01-12-2014, 11:45
Conn's goal was a great goal. How can you tell that?
Well listen to Arthur, there was a "stramash" just before it.
Always the sign of a great goal.

loyalistpicken
01-12-2014, 11:50
Dixie Deans ? thought hed never scored against Rangers used to tell us in the tap shop when i was in carmyle he never scored against us Mibe he for got this one ...I canny rember his scoring i was at this game too ....

britain
01-12-2014, 11:51
http://i59.tinypic.com/anmx5s.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/28rgzlu.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/22khvd.jpg

Pandemonium Loyal :)

Cheers for that mate:D

britain
01-12-2014, 11:52
Conn's goal was a great goal. How can you tell that?
Well listen to Arthur, there was a "stramash" just before it.
Always the sign of a great goal.

This is very true.:D

livi_true_blue
01-12-2014, 11:55
Dixie Deans ? thought hed never scored against Rangers used to tell us in the tap shop when i was in carmyle he never scored against us Mibe he for got this one ...I canny rember his scoring i was at this game too ....

If memory serves, Deans shot took a wicked deflection off of Dave Smith.

loyalistpicken
01-12-2014, 11:58
If memory serves, Deans shot took a wicked deflection off of Dave Smith.

I canny Remember mate it was up the tarrier end they scored thats all i can remember but i know he said for sure he had never scored against us .. cursed grieg for the diving save in the 1972/73 cup final said it was the closest he came :)

trueblue4
01-12-2014, 11:58
6th January 1973 Rangers 2 Celtic 1 scorers Parlane 24 Conn 89 Smith 9og) 51Attendance 67,000

Rangers controlled most of the game and the victory was hard earned but well deserved. McCluskey rugby tackled MacDonald from behind and Parlane needed a lucky rebopund fromWilliam's legs befiore the penalty ended in the back of the net. Celic's equalising goal was fortunate because McCloy had Dean's shot covered before a wicked deflection off Smithcarried it out of his reach, Conn's persistence finally brought him reward in the last minute when he headed home a young cross.

Irn Bru Loyal
01-12-2014, 12:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeKwLZFvzP8

Just found the Scotsport footage of our two goals above:D

Great win.

The late great Sir Sir Arthur Montford in commentary.

Any bears with memories of this game ?

Vivid memories - it was the first time I saw Rangers beat Celtic.

I was supposed to be at my cousin's wedding, but opted for Ibrox instead.

387RFC
01-12-2014, 12:12
I was 15--first time I had seen us beat them at Ibrox--remember the jubilation after Conn"s winning headed goal at the Rangers end--great times!

loyalistpicken
01-12-2014, 12:20
did we not horse those bhastards reguraly at new year back then ..

rangeral
01-12-2014, 12:21
Centenary Stand opened that day

kingsburyblue
01-12-2014, 12:26
Good on you girl x

dsloan
01-12-2014, 12:34
Centenary Stand opened that day

Was in there that day.

c_den
01-12-2014, 12:44
Did centenary stand not open against arsenal in midweek game ?

c_den
01-12-2014, 12:48
Was in centenary stand with my dad first time ever at a game vs them , mother would not allow my old man to take me as she thought I was to young had just turned 8 in October
Vivid memory of old man throwing me into the air when we scored the winner that day !!!

Orangeandblue
01-12-2014, 12:53
Missing the Alfie Conn goal as my dad wanted to leave early to beat the traffic. :(The roar from the scum end when Williams blocked Parlane's penalty only for him to knock in the rebound...:) Singing starting an hour before kick off..

tazzabear
01-12-2014, 13:53

I'm sure this'll have been picked up by now but septic's goal that day was attributed to an own goal by Dave Smith.
Dixie, I'll use his pet name because I've learned he was a bear, never scored against Rangers,
Maybe that bear thing had something to do with it.

Mel Sterland
01-12-2014, 13:56
The crowd right after the goal looked really fake as if they werent bothering there arse:D

KA1960
01-12-2014, 14:19
I'm sure this'll have been picked up by now but septic's goal that day was attributed to an own goal by Dave Smith.
Dixie, I'll use his pet name because I've learned he was a bear, never scored against Rangers,
Maybe that bear thing had something to do with it.

Didn't realise he was a bear.... maybe his penalty miss against Inter wasn't such a personal nightmare for him after all

boldvale
02-12-2014, 00:12
My first game against the filth at Ibrox. Me and my dad in the centenary stand. Found chickenpox spots on my stomach on the Friday night, but didn't crack the light until we got home after the game in case I didn't get. Happy memories, miss you dad.

sonowilliam2
02-12-2014, 00:22
My first game against the filth at Ibrox. Me and my dad in the centenary stand. Found chickenpox spots on my stomach on the Friday night, but didn't crack the light until we got home after the game in case I didn't get. Happy memories, miss you dad.

Mine also,my older brother ( Steveski on here ) :D says watch this,these bastards will score in last minute they always do ( or words to that effect ).

Lo an behold :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

My second was in the cup final of the same year.

livi_true_blue
02-12-2014, 00:39
It's a penalty !

http://i61.tinypic.com/nyfl94.jpg

sonowilliam2
02-12-2014, 00:42
We were a fair way behind them going into this game,but our win and them dropping some unexpected points early in the New Year brought us right back into contention.
We lost the title by a single point in the end.

If memory serves did we not lose the title at Pittodrie,we drew 2 - 2 on the Wednesday ( second last game ? ) after hitting a terrific run of victories.

Jaws first season iirc when Tam went through that season undefeated as a Gers player ?

Irn Bru Loyal
02-12-2014, 00:48
The game at Pittodrie was a Saturday, and Aberdeen's two goals were (a) offside, and (b) a penalty for a foul outside the box! 2-2 it finished.

Fingers1873
02-12-2014, 01:18
did we not horse those bhastards reguraly at new year back then ..

We went 60 years without losing a NY fixture at Ibrox up until 1983 IIRC.

My bro in law took me to the Pittodrie game (2-2) as an 11 YO. Something like 36,000 there that day.

Orangeandblue
02-12-2014, 01:26
If memory serves did we not lose the title at Pittodrie,we drew 2 - 2 on the Wednesday ( second last game ? ) after hitting a terrific run of victories.

Jaws first season iirc when Tam went through that season undefeated as a Gers player ?

As below game was on a Saturday. It was the second last game of the season and a win would still have required the scum to drop points in the last game as they had a better goal difference/average (whatever it was then).

sonowilliam2
02-12-2014, 01:44
As below game was on a Saturday. It was the second last game of the season and a win would still have required the scum to drop points in the last game as they had a better goal difference/average (whatever it was then).

It could have been the Saturday,but we lost the title at Pittodrie as we were in contention until then - One more point dropped and it was curtains and we dropped that point at Pittodrie, so effectively we lost the title at Pittodrie.

Right i'm going back into my time capsule :D

Orangeandblue
02-12-2014, 03:42
It could have been the Saturday,but we lost the title at Pittodrie as we were in contention until then - One more point dropped and it was curtains and we dropped that point at Pittodrie, so effectively we lost the title at Pittodrie.

Right i'm going back into my time capsule :D

I'm going to slightly disagree.. If the scum had lost their next game at Easter Road a home win against East Fife could still have handed Rangers the title. :angel:

Gullane
02-12-2014, 07:20
I remember staying behind after the game in copland lots did, we were chanting 'We want the Rangers ! '

Wanted players back out for more applause !

BarrheadGers
02-12-2014, 07:26
One of the worst penaltys ever but a belter because it was against the filth :)

ronnietheranger
02-12-2014, 12:10
6th January 1973 Rangers 2 Celtic 1 scorers Parlane 24 Conn 89 Smith 9og) 51Attendance 67,000

Rangers controlled most of the game and the victory was hard earned but well deserved. McCluskey rugby tackled MacDonald from behind and Parlane needed a lucky rebopund fromWilliam's legs befiore the penalty ended in the back of the net. Celic's equalising goal was fortunate because McCloy had Dean's shot covered before a wicked deflection off Smithcarried it out of his reach, Conn's persistence finally brought him reward in the last minute when he headed home a young cross.

Fat Pat...........:D...........forgot about that tosser............

Wandergers4
03-12-2014, 16:15
Superb post and I love these old pieces of footage from that era. Have been dying to get a copy of the 1969 Ne'er Day Game when we beat them 1-0 thanks to a John Greig penalty into the Broomloan Road end. Great victory for us and I recall listening to the game on the radio with my late father. Great memories and having won the real treat was seeing the highlights later that night... Haven't seen the goal since but keep living in hope with some of the great finds on here. Cheers Mate and well done !!!

britain
03-12-2014, 17:10
Superb post and I love these old pieces of footage from that era. Have been dying to get a copy of the 1969 Ne'er Day Game when we beat them 1-0 thanks to a John Greig penalty into the Broomloan Road end. Great victory for us and I recall listening to the game on the radio with my late father. Great memories and having won the real treat was seeing the highlights later that night... Haven't seen the goal since but keep living in hope with some of the great finds on here. Cheers Mate and well done !!!

I too really enjoy watching these old highlights.

Will keep searching for them.