PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Miller

meldo53
30-11-2014, 16:56
Without a doubt IMO is finished at our level, even Miller a year ago would have had 2/3 goals today.

Very slow and ineffective and IMO its got to be Clark/Daly Clark/Boyd going forward from now on.

Its not a personal dig and I dont want the thread to descend into a farce so can we keep it to the here and now.

What Say Bears

aldoshmaldo
30-11-2014, 16:57
I thought he struggled badly today. His legs looked gone.

jcdno1
30-11-2014, 16:57
The movement is still there but that wee burst of pace isn't...

Stirling Bear
30-11-2014, 16:58
He drops too deep and leaves his strike partner isolated. He still works as hard as ever and cant be faulted for that but for me I agree with OP that it should be clark & boyd/daly.

ChicagoBear
Take into account he's only just back from a long period on the sideline. That will be a factor too, its going to take him a number of weeks to get back to 100%.

53easy
He's still our best striker.

James Curran Baxter
I thought he was terrible today. His movement looked really sluggish too.

Dalbear
30-11-2014, 16:59
Not looking at his best recently but I'm not writing him off yet.

Super-Swally
I thought daly was worse. Wrong decision made almost every time and his legs are completely gone.

meldo53

Are you at the wind up?

RobertAmoruso
30-11-2014, 17:01
Take into account he's only just back from a long period on the sideline. That will be a factor too, its going to take him a number of weeks to get back to 100%.

The older a player gets with a prolonged injury the harder it is to get match fit again quickley and he had a bad game today but the one who really is an enigma is templeton who shuold be playing in tye team every week if fit and raping other teams.

meldo53
30-11-2014, 17:02
I thought daly was worse. Wrong decision made almost every time and his legs are completely gone.

Well I dont think its a coincidence that we scored 2 relatively quickly after the change was made to bring Boyd and Clark on.

However Daly can still be a massive player for us considering he is a target man, Miller however realize on pace which he clearly doesnt have anymore.

Torque87
30-11-2014, 17:02
Miller's brain still tells him to play football the way he always has done, but his legs aren't up to the task anymore. The effort will always be there from him, but time waits for no man (except Sir David of Weir). Clark deserves an extended run.

bullen_an_la
30-11-2014, 17:04
I thought he was terrible today. His movement looked really sluggish too.

apart from when he was chopped down at the penalty claim that the cheat referee waved away.

bruceybalboa
30-11-2014, 17:05
Think he is trying to do too much, noticed it in the first game of the season against Hearts how often he drops back to left midfield, done it again today a few times.

Don't know if he feels that he isn't getting the service, so has to drop deeper, but he shouldn't be doing it.

Mind that this is a guy who scored against England last year, he is another in a long line of players to get worse when they sign for us.

James Curran Baxter
apart from when he was chopped down at the penalty claim that the cheat referee waved away.

Ok, apart from the one moment where he was fouled, he was poor for the rest of the game. :roll:

Crouchy
His touch is one you'd associate with a beast.

Ball got trapped under his feet about 4 or 5 times.

Sad inditenent that he's our best striker :(

He looks like the Miller of 21 again, without the pace.

wildebear
30-11-2014, 17:06
I thought he did quite well keeping the Kilmarnock defenders occupied and giving them something think about the whole time he was on. It allowed midfielders and full backs to press on.

The Big Cheese
30-11-2014, 17:07
Without a doubt IMO is finished at our level, even Miller a year ago would have had 2/3 goals today.

Very slow and ineffective and IMO its got to be Clark/Daly Clark/Boyd going forward from now on.

Its not a personal dig and I dont want the thread to descend into a farce so can we keep it to the here and now.

What Say Bears

I agree.

Miler has nothing left to offer.

His game was about energy and movement with a little pace thrown in. He has none of these attributes now.

MrBridger
30-11-2014, 17:07
Daly is in a far poorer condition IMO

mmrfc1873
30-11-2014, 17:09
Christ sake. A couple of months back he was our best striker and now he's finished. :)

He still is our best striker though.

bilkobear

What Say Bears

I agree he isn't the same player, but we knew this, if he was he would still be in the Scotland side.
However, suddenly Miller's legs have gone and what.....Boyd has found his and is no longer trailing a caravan?

Kenny does too much outside of the box and thus is often a wee bit short inside it.
Before today he had been one of our better players, so I would put today down as a day at the office that didn't work out for him.

I would still prefer to see Kenny Miller and young Clark start together, with the options of Daly and Boyd on the bench when the first two had run the legs of defenders.

supergers07
Miller is clearly our best striker

Tomato Plant
Daly is in a far poorer condition IMO

Total bollocks

Scotty27
30-11-2014, 17:10
His natural game means he will always be looking to make runs and chase but not many players of his age can do that. Doesn't look half the player he was 4 years ago which is understandable.

Captain Jock
30-11-2014, 17:14
Miller's brain still tells him to play football the way he always has done, but his legs aren't up to the task anymore. The effort will always be there from him, but time waits for no man (except Sir David of Weir). Clark deserves an extended run.

I said that to my lad at the game today, almost word for word.
Having said that, since he's rejoined us, he's certainly changed his style of play to compensate for his slight reduction of pace.
If we could put Millers brain into Clarks body, we'd have one helluva player!

al64
30-11-2014, 17:19

Bang on for me and at nearly 35 this should have been obvious before we signed him :confused:

copeland road
30-11-2014, 17:21
His movement alone still created good space for others.still a player wee need to help others ,an he is a winner,

Top_Cat
30-11-2014, 17:23
Still has the brains, just not the legs for it anymore

PartickGer
30-11-2014, 17:37
You can't fault his work rate but he's lost his biggest asset which was his burst of pace, exposed today a few times when he'd have scored at least a couple in days gone by.

markyrfc
30-11-2014, 17:41
Done nothing since he's been back.

imbran
30-11-2014, 17:44
Needs to adapt his game to reflect his physical abilities. Even if he can't cover every blade of grass nowadays he is still an intelligent player and can be a big player for us.

CapitalBear1973
30-11-2014, 17:46
I would still prefer to see Kenny Miller and young Clark start together, with the options of Daly and Boyd on the bench when the first two had run the legs of defenders.

Totally agree with this

si72
30-11-2014, 17:50
Excluding McCleod,Miller is still miles better than the duds we have in our squad which really is a sad indictment.

RangersNumberFour
30-11-2014, 18:03
When Daly broke and played the first time ball that was the tight move. He would have got caught if he held onto it longer.

Why Miller choose to run to the back post behind the defender I'll never know!

AnglianBear
30-11-2014, 18:31
Bring back Gallagher and start persevering with Clark/Gallagher/Hardie. Miller, Boyd & Daly are not what we need going up.

The Big Cheese
30-11-2014, 18:35
Excluding McCleod,Miller is still miles better than the duds we have in our squad which really is a sad indictment.

No he's not and he qualifies for the title dud before a few.

Mel Sterland
30-11-2014, 18:37

Spot on... The guy has been injured for a while needs games.

bertram
30-11-2014, 18:40

He averaged one goal for every 230 minutes and 27 seconds minutes spent on the field of play whilst in The MLS.

A goal every 2.56 games.

Jim Baxter is legend
30-11-2014, 18:44
I would like to see our strikers used in this order

1. Clark
2. Miller
3. Boyd
4. Daly

With daly only being used in emergencies

mcculloch also used as a last resort

cenotaph
30-11-2014, 18:52

Put that rod away for once ffs!

mmrfc1873
30-11-2014, 18:53
If Miller's not our best striker, then who is ?

For the love of God, please, no one say Boyd, Clark or Daly.

CaptainCourageous
30-11-2014, 18:54
Wasn't impressed with the signings of Boyd and Miller. Near on December and nothing has changed.

Neither have delivered. But hey, "Miller turned Cahill inside out" :roll:

Today Miller was poor. He's old, injury prone, lost his pace. But we knew this. For the last two/three seasons he's struggled with form, injuries...

There is no way either of them are good enough for the Scottish Premiership, throw in Daly and probably Clark and we are in a terrible position.

Clark should have been given the chance to prove himself - sadly there is no forward thinking at Rangers.

interbear
30-11-2014, 19:11
For me Miller still has good movement and intelligence and can contribute. Off the bench or playing deeper.

I'd consider going with Boyd and Clark up front though as first pick. I think they complement each other well.

b burns
30-11-2014, 19:38
I thought he did quite well keeping the Kilmarnock defenders occupied and giving them something think about the whole time he was on. It allowed midfielders and full backs to press on.

Thought the same mate pulled defenders all over the place.

All of the Lights
30-11-2014, 19:58
Still an intelligent player, was more to his game than pace.

stooler
30-11-2014, 20:51
Has lost a yard of pace but still faster than some

He is by far one of our best players.

He is playing very unselfishly, running channels, dropping deep and bringing others into play.

Today, he was a little unlucky with not getting the rub of the green in the box

Very intelligent player and should be starting every week.

Nicky Clark is very overrated on here, the boy still has a lot to improve upon.

Boys should start ahead of Daly too. Maybe being dropped was a kick up the backside for him.

Master
30-11-2014, 20:54
Been thinking this for weeks and been quite surprised I've not seen people mention him before now.

Legs are gone and he's not quick enough to get into the positions he should be. I'd rather start with Clark and Boyd.

muthacupboard
30-11-2014, 21:01
He took a while to get going in his second spell. I think he's done reasonably well, does a hell of a lot of work outside the box. I think he gets frustrated at the lack of service and drops back.

All of the Lights
30-11-2014, 21:23
He'll also be good for dressing room and good on training pitch. Quite sure Clark is happy he's there to learn from even if it's extra striker to compete with.

jdm1873
30-11-2014, 21:28
The strike partnership which has worked best so far is Boyd and Clark.

bertram
30-11-2014, 21:29
He's scored 32 club goals since he jumped ship to Bursaspor four years ago,one goal for every 3 and a half appearances.

macdonsj
30-11-2014, 21:32
earlier in the season he looked fine.
turning & bursting ok

today his legs looked heavy
suggests to me - not fit
clark should have started with miller as a sub in case needed

Oosy troosers
30-11-2014, 21:37
FF at it's finest, a couple of poor games and your "finished".

He's easily been our best forward this season.
He's only just returned from injury, so I'd cut him some slack.

Boyd is the major dud of the four.

Miller and Clark for me.

Pub_spy
30-11-2014, 22:48
I knew daly had no pace but was surprised how little. When he got played through on the shoulder of the defender he panicked as he was going to be caught straight at and played a tame ball through that was only going halfway to miller.

Miller's style of play requires pace and a lot of energy. Sadly, he hasn't got this anymore. The problem with McCoist is that he can't seem to identify the strengths and weaknesses of these strikers and play a system that suits them. Which is worrying because he was a decent striker right up to 35 with us (mind you with far better players providing for him) but had 2 decent seasons with Kilmarnock afterwards.

Clarks a starter for me. I'd probably pair him up with Boyd.

jamnn25
30-11-2014, 23:05
I thought he'd looked like our best striker so far in the league, but today against a higher level of competition it was painfully obvious his legs have gone, he was second to everything that came his way.

thebluesea
30-11-2014, 23:14
The strike partnership which has worked best so far is Boyd and Clark.

This, in a nutshell.

We were at our 'best' when those two played together and they showed signs of being able of getting something decent going

Paulinho24
30-11-2014, 23:16
The myth that Nicky Clark has become a world beater (without showing anything at all) is so typical for this forum. I like Clark's worth ethic etc., but there is absolutely no evidence that he is better than Kenny Miller.

Mez
30-11-2014, 23:39
He knows what he wants to do, his body just doesn't seem to be in agreement. Several times today he did the right thing but his legs were absolutely nowhere to be seen. A shame, as I hoped we'd get one more good season out of him.

Amurphrfc
30-11-2014, 23:53
He's never been a top player.

Its embarrassing taking him back,again the sooner he retires the better imo

the dalkeith bear
30-11-2014, 23:59
headless chicken. nothing has changed since he was 21

mad4rfcme
01-12-2014, 00:12
Unfortunately, I think Kenny has had his time, he should and Kenny of old would have scored two goals today. Too slow, lost his pace and sharpness. Nicky would have taken those two chances today.

Mez
01-12-2014, 00:17
He's never been a top player.

Its embarrassing taking him back,again the sooner he retires the better imo

Are you just jumping from thread to thread talking absolutely nonsense?

To say he's never been a top player (relative to the league he's playing in) is total ignorance of his career and what he offered us, particularly in his second spell at the club.

Amurphrfc
01-12-2014, 00:45
Are you just jumping from thread to thread talking absolutely nonsense?

To say he's never been a top player (relative to the league he's playing in) is total ignorance of his career and what he offered us, particularly in his second spell at the club.

Are you just jumping to threads stalking me?

I don't like him and I don't rate him. Nothing wrong with that.

Mez
01-12-2014, 00:50
Are you just jumping to threads stalking me?

I don't like him and I don't rate him. Nothing wrong with that.

You stated something with absolute vigour, that is quite simply not the case.

At times during his second spell at the club, Miller was the best striker in the country.

Amurphrfc
01-12-2014, 00:58
You stated something with absolute vigour, that is quite simply not the case.

At times during his second spell at the club, Miller was the best striker in the country.

I don't rate him and he's not rated in Britain, if he wasn't a Rangers player you would feel the same.

Mez
01-12-2014, 01:01
I don't rate him and he's not rated in Britain, if he wasn't a Rangers player you would feel the same.

Several times throughout his career he's not been a Rangers player and i've still rated him, so i'm afraid you're also wrong there.

Just because he's past it now, doesn't mean that he's never been a top player. Hyperbole is the order of the day, seemingly.

Amurphrfc
01-12-2014, 01:05
Several times throughout his career he's not been a Rangers player and i've still rated him, so i'm afraid you're also wrong there.

Just because he's past it now, doesn't mean that he's never been a top player. Hyperbole is the order of the day, seemingly.

Im wrong?

I don't rate him you rate shit players so we cancel each other out.

He's not rated down here or Europe.

Mez
01-12-2014, 01:07
Im wrong?

I don't rate him you rate shit players so we cancel each other out.

He's not rated down here or Europe.

You told me how I felt. You don't speak for me. You were wrong.

Amurphrfc
01-12-2014, 01:12
You told me how I felt. You don't speak for me. You were wrong.

Thank God for that (I don't speak for him either)
The majority of the world doesn't rate him then :D

Mez
01-12-2014, 01:17
Thank God for that (I don't speak for him either)
The majority of the world doesn't rate him then :D

You're quite the spokesman. First me, now the world. That's quite a promotion.

Amurphrfc
01-12-2014, 01:23
You're quite the spokesman. First me, now the world. That's quite a promotion.

Thank you, it doesn't take much effort to get the results.

cenotaph
01-12-2014, 08:11
Good wee debate going on here but my dad can batter both of your dads.

HateleyScores
01-12-2014, 08:12
Clark should be starting. Being dropped for Miller was a mistake.

navrig
01-12-2014, 08:33
Think were going to struggle to keep young Hardie he,s the best centre forward prospect weve had in years but cant get a sniff because players in there 30s at the end of there careers are keeping him from getting a run out.

frankieboy
01-12-2014, 08:35
One bad game and he's finished :confused::confused: about right for some on here.

cenotaph
01-12-2014, 08:35
Think were going to struggle to keep young Hardie he,s the best centre forward prospect weve had in years but cant get a sniff because players in there 30s at the end of there careers are keeping him from getting a run out.

We could end up being a feeder club for Dundee United.

Icily Cool
01-12-2014, 08:38
One bad game and he's finished :confused::confused: about right for some on here.

One bad game? :D He's been rancid all season.

sparkafag
01-12-2014, 08:38
FF at it's finest, a couple of poor games and your "finished".

He's easily been our best forward this season.
He's only just returned from injury, so I'd cut him some slack.

Boyd is the major dud of the four.

Miller and Clark for me.

I agree with most of that Miller has been good this season

Blue Buddha
01-12-2014, 09:16
Yeah .. drop Miller for being slow and replace him with Daly, we all know he's lightning fast :o

ianb11
01-12-2014, 09:17

Miller was bad but Daly was murder yesterday.

sparkafag
01-12-2014, 09:19
Daly shouldn’t start. The majority of sides we play will like playing a Daly for 90, probably even 60, the majority of the time you know what you are getting from him, defenders like playing against that sort of forward from the start of a game.

Last 30, when they’ve been given a run-around, or are on the back foot, we have to pile on pressure, we need an out, he works then.

Earl of Leven
01-12-2014, 10:30
He's always been verging on the shit apart from a very brief and very welcome 'burst' into life with us second time round when he had a superb 18 months in particular. When you consider his career as a whole he's generally not scored many goals, had first touch of Rold Harris at his daughter's sleepovers, been terrible at 1:1 situations etc...we saw his very best a few years ago.

No shame in that...some players never have any 'glorious spells'...

His record apart from the famous second spell with us is 103 goals in 390 games for teams as diverse as us, filth, Derby, Wolves, Vancouver etc.

Ter
01-12-2014, 10:32
Looks like a severe lack of match sharpness to me. Was like a pre-season match at times. Something that needs addressed by the coaching staff as he's not the only one.

supergers07
01-12-2014, 10:35
He and Boyd every time for me.

Daly's not required, would try get him out for the final 6 months of his deal probably on loan to anyone willing to take him.

Clark is hard done to I agree. Maybe Miller might be rested on Wednesday and Clark and Boyd start.

Earl of Leven
01-12-2014, 10:37
Miller is not the answer for next season in SPL, nor is Daly.

I'd keep Boyd and Clark and try and get some younger blood in.

basiltherat
01-12-2014, 14:02
He's always been verging on the shit apart from a very brief and very welcome 'burst' into life with us second time round when he had a superb 18 months in particular. When you consider his career as a whole he's generally not scored many goals, had first touch of Rold Harris at his daughter's sleepovers, been terrible at 1:1 situations etc...we saw his very best a few years ago.

No shame in that...some players never have any 'glorious spells'...

His record apart from the famous second spell with us is 103 goals in 390 games for teams as diverse as us, filth, Derby, Wolves, Vancouver etc.

Harsh but fair
Spent most of his career chasing crisp pokes. In a one on one you'd be a fool to bet on him

Earl of Leven
01-12-2014, 14:05
Harsh but fair
Spent most of his career chasing crisp pokes. In a one on one you'd be a fool to bet on him

In his second spell with us - for some reason - he added composure to his game, took more time, and was more deadly.

That's gone again as his stats since leaving us show.

Mr Super Bad
01-12-2014, 14:51
On the evidence we've seen this season. Boyd and Clark is our best partnership and Daly is an effective sub for the last 20 minutes. I'm not sure where that leaves Miller.

Sasquatch
01-12-2014, 14:55
Don't think he's been right from the injury and perhaps carrying something.
I'd have Miller and Clarke up front.

duds58
01-12-2014, 15:19
He was F I N I S H E D two seasons ago fact.

Cannavaro
01-12-2014, 15:51
Boyd and Clark look like our best partnership at present, Miller looks to have lost a yard of pace hope it improves with match fitness

scottishcampbell
01-12-2014, 15:52
His reactions really seemed to have slowed down, not only lost half a yard in pace but also his head

cav
01-12-2014, 17:40
Players that rely on pace are never as effective past a certain age,should never have been signed in the first place, I took pelters for saying that previously along with a few others on here.

ray mac
01-12-2014, 17:48
Ally got subs right yesterday. Daly and Miller to start for me. Daly is a carthorse but his knock downs are ideal for Miller/ Clark. Boyd and Clark coming on after 60 mins could cause havoc against some teams.

bertram
01-12-2014, 17:50
Apart from two notable purple patches K M has never been that prolific a goal scorer.

Optimus
01-12-2014, 17:58
What is our level?

We are pretty much broke and treading water.

We are not at this point in time a "Super club" outside of Scotland I think we were a big team but now we are that team that used to win a lot and are now nobodies.

jamseyboi
01-12-2014, 18:01
Still think Boyd and miller is our best partnership. Daly has been poor the last two weeks and that hadn't helped miller at all

mayfairblue2
01-12-2014, 19:20
Looks to have lost a good bit of pace.

ZurichBear
01-12-2014, 19:21
4 goals in half a season.

He is done, should never have been brought back etc.

Usual jobs for the boys from a lazy manager...

Mehmet Ali Agca
01-12-2014, 19:53
Not sure what games people are watching. Our forwards are poor. Clark at least tries and is getting a bit of a raw deal.

Mehmet Ali Agca
01-12-2014, 19:54
4 goals in half a season.

He is done, should never have been brought back etc.

Usual jobs for the boys from a lazy manager...

You are correct but folk will be red triangling you for having an opinion.

bertram
01-12-2014, 20:15
You are correct but folk will be red triangling you for having an opinion.

92 club goals in 8 and a half years, 28 club goals since he last left Rangers (6 weeks off of four years ago)

moffatwilson
01-12-2014, 20:24
I have said many times, yes, miller and Boyd were brilliant players for us first time round, but that time has gone now. They will never be the players they were 4-6 years ago. In these times when we need to be prudent with wages there is a lot of "old pals act" "former hero" and "fans appeasement" signings. We should be looking forward, not back.

bertram
01-12-2014, 20:44
I have said many times, yes, miller and Boyd were brilliant players for us first time round, but that time has gone now. They will never be the players they were 4-6 years ago. In these times when we need to be prudent with wages there is a lot of "old pals act" "former hero" and "fans appeasement" signings. We should be looking forward, not back.

Miller was a lot better the second time.

moffatwilson
01-12-2014, 20:50
Granted. But even the second time was a few years ago. Time, unfortunately catches up with us all.

Hendrixbear
01-12-2014, 21:08
He was poor yesterday but Miller still has plenty to offer imo. Saying that, I think Clark should be getting a game ahead of every other forward in our team at the moment.

footballhipster
01-12-2014, 21:11
Hyped for the bold Kenneth hitting a run of form and silencing the haters as per the norm

Mulguy1953
01-12-2014, 21:40
He was poor yesterday but Miller still has plenty to offer imo. Saying that, I think Clark should be getting a game ahead of every other forward in our team at the moment.

Agree 100% hungry young (not that) good movement