PDA

View Full Version : BBC Response to complaint RE Haggerty hatchet job

robandmundt
14-07-2014, 11:53
Sent the following complaint, got the following reply.

Given the events of the past couple of years with regards to Rangers FC, and the apologies BBC Scotland have already had to make to the club for deliberately reporting false information and editing the club's manager to deliberately paint him in a bad light, you would think that after a tribunal ruled in the club's favour AGAIN with regards to a tax case deliberately intended to harm the club, that BBC Scotland would do their best to present a hard-hitting, accurate, balanced view of how the club has been punished for non-existent crimes, and how it moves on from being wronged. WRONG. Instead, they started off their programme by stating Rangers were stripped of titles. FALSE. Having been found to have participated in no illegal activity whatsoever, our hard-won titles remain intact. Disgustingly inaccurate, and also misleading the public into thinking the club done wrong. On top of this, a certain Angela Haggerty was invited onto the show for debate. Haggerty is not only completely under qualified to discuss such complex tax issues, she is also a Rangers-hating sectarian bigot. Her rise to minutely minor prominence in journalism is solely down to her penning her hatred for all things Rangers. How can a Celtic supporting Republican with links to a discredited sectarian journalist, be considered impartial and relevant? She even likened Rangers fans to 'Klan members', implying Rangers fans are akin to the KKK. This is gross bias and inaccuracy, and I demand an apology.

Dear Robandmundt

Thank you for your email. Your comments were passed to the Editor, who has asked that I forward his response as follows:

“Thank you for getting in touch.

At the top of the programme Sarah Smith asked “Was it a witch-hunt?”. We were asking whether or not HMRC were right to pursue this case. Sarah went on to give Sir David Murray’s opinion that if HMRC “hadn’t pursued the case the club would never have gone into financial meltdown.”

We invited Craig Houston, a spokesman for the Rangers fan club ‘Sons of Struth’, and Angela Haggerty, Editor of ‘Downfall’, to discuss this issue. Both guests were there to give their personal opinion on this matter and both did. Sarah explained why the BBC had covered the story originally by saying we reported that Rangers were being investigated for tax. Mr Houston was allowed to respond to this and give his views as was Ms Haggerty.

Sarah did say that it had been difficult for Rangers fans in recent years and she mentioned that the club had been stripped of trophies. I apologise for this inaccuracy and we did correct this at the end of the programme.

This was a major talking point on that day therefore we discussed it on Scotland 2014. The discussion was balanced throughout.

Thank you, once again, for taking the time to contact us”.

iainh1
14-07-2014, 11:55
Yes, I got the same generic response.

FollowFollow.com
14-07-2014, 11:57
This subject has been covered during the past 24 hours. Please look down the board to find the relevant thread.